Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Options
    expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    Tidester, this is a very civil and tame site compared to the Honda, Toyota, Daewoo bashing sites. It has been a pleasure, up to the Dodgemans' appearance, to join this informative forum. Hopefully the exchanges can remain centered on the topic at hand and not be lowered to Dodgemans' level. LR drivers', along with their vehicles, are a "cut above."
  • Options
    kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    My last post was struck on this issue and rest assured this will be my last post on the subject. Too harassing to another member was the reason and maybe I did get a little carried away. I did critize--constructively--dodger's spelling (component, not compent) and improper use of words such as "there" when "their" was required. I then suggested that members could make use of the spell check feature the forum provides, which I thought was helpful, not harassing. There is also remedial education available. Additionally, I noted that yes, the name Damiler does, in fact, mean something to me: Heartache and headache. I spent good money on a 240 "baby benz" only to get to know the service manager on a first name basis. An AC duct that leaked water on the passenger's feet, that I was initially told could not be fixed, was described as a minor problem in an otherwise superior automobile and that I should simply overlook it. That was funny enough, but when I brought the car in for a brake fluid leak (reservoir had to be constantly topped off), they couldn't find the source of that either and I was told to continue to drive the car and just top off the fluid when necessary (talk about being livid). The laughing stopped when the mechanic went to bring the car down and wrecked it when the brakes failed. Oh well, there was a happy ending: After replacing the sunroof and AC system several times, and an assortment of other problems too numerous to mention, the lease ended. It's true, mercedes is engineered like no other car in the world. Too bad they don't think like Land Rover. In my opinion, Damiler and Chrysler belong together for obvious reasons.

I also expressed the opinion the the dodger guy posted what he did just to incite those who prefer Land Rovers; in other words,that it was a harassing tactic directed to other members ment to arouse passion. And for that reason, I said he was successful. I then concluded that that HAD to be the reason for the posts because no one with any intelligence and maturity would post something like that otherwise, although I didn't quite put it like that. Besides, I saw a post where he was compared to a five year old which was not struck.

Anyway, I agree, enough said. Let's get back to the topic at hand, Land Rovers, and try to ignore such foolishness in the future (although you can't completely ignore it or someone might think, unchallenged, it's true).
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    On the contrary, Since Dodgeman is being a blatant "troll," just out to pick a fight, I think the people of this topic have reacted quite reasonably and politely.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    expert1, sporin, kbowen et al.

Every board will, at one time or another, encounter those who are out to incite and provoke. I must say that, for the most part, people here have responded in an exemplary manner.

Product comparison is also an inevitability even though a particular board isn't intended for comparison. Clearly the line needs to be drawn somewhere though it's not always easy to define just where that point lies. A little bit of topic drift is a good thing!

In any case, there are always options in dealing with rabble rousers ranging from more or less sterile rebuttal of facts and reasoning all the way to simply ignoring those who wish to become a spectacle. Personal attacks do cross the line, however.

Now, let's get back to Discovery!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    That was the original point, that a Jeep is as capable or more so, than any Range Rover.

Having that in the back of my little mind (and taking up scant precious room, I might add) I saw mention of a new Jeep, the "Rubicon" special. Very interesting... coil springs all around, lockers fore and aft, dana axles and a nice low transfer case ratio. Looking a little further though, the power curve peaks around 4200 RPM and the torque curve peaks around 3600 RPM.

Does anyone here drive their Rover offroad with that kind of RPMs? It seems to me that's just begging to shear off halfshafts. Granted the Rover's power peaks are much lower (and more useable) but still... any ideas why Jeep would make that move? Maybe that explains the 4:1 ratio in the transfer case... Or maybe they just lifted the engine unchanged from the road-going versions and plopped it into the Rube?

Personally, I prefer walking speed, low-RPM power peaks and long-travel throttle and brake controls. It makes picking a line much less frenetic.

Also, to bolster a point made earlier, you can drop a Quaiffe and a Tru-Trac differential fore and aft into your Disco for less than $1800. No air pumps or lines, almost seamless operation, 90% of the capability of air lockers, you can't forget to unlock it (or struggle to do so quick enough in a tight spot), and your Significant Other won't be calling you from the parking garage asking why the truck is acting so weird.

Chirp/hop, chirp/hop, chirp/hop... -Bob
  • Options
    serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    First off, let me thank those that respond..i am a newbie and certainly appreciate your time for some comments. i help on some watch forums, so it is nice when i can get some feedback myself from something like my new SUV.

I have narrowed my search to 3 SUV's..all terrific in my mind..the disco SD, the isuzu trooper, and the toyota 4runner..all of these are about the same price with some nice toys..33,000 or so..not a biggie difference..truth be told..my heart is in love with the disco more than the other 2..but i would be ahppy with any of the three.

1. the other 2 are japanese makes and have a reputation for great reliability..its hard to find 4 bad comments from owners on mecahnical problems..leaks, breakdowns, etc..but the disco on the other hand, in all forums and research i do on the net has more bad comments than good..always horror stories, regrets, cursing..as i said i am new at suvs..so i dont know..i went to the disco dealer and he said they did have problems with the 99 and 98 ..but the 2001 and 2002 were 85% new and had no problems..yet i have read on several places that some owners are having same problems as always..leaks, lights coming on, break down, etc..i am not rich and have been saving for 2 yrs for my dream suv, so i want to buy quality if i am spending 33,000 big ones..

2. i did manage to get the new 2002 SD brand new for a quoted price of 31,900 if i want it..with wood trim inside, running boards, front grills, and back light grills, total would be 34,000..not bad huh, i think price is great for this suv..but peace of mind and quality have to be there...
    can you tell i want to be convinced to buy this land rover !! :) lol
    but really, any detailed commenst would be great...i would have a heart attack if the 3 week i owned this car my hose broke or i had a blown gasket or whatever..

ps..anyone interested in where i got my price and who i spoke with ..please feel free to email me at erichochman@hotmail.com

best regards,

eric
  • Options
    What you're experiencing is the beginning of the Rover "love/hate" thing. For some reason these trucks speak to your soul, and you find yourself dealing with them on an emotional basis. When they work right there is nothing better, but when they break it's almost like you've been betrayed. It's bizarre, but it's very real.

The question you have to ask yourself is how much of that can you take? If you get a good truck then all is well... especially having a good extended warranty for peace of mind. But if you get a bad one (commonly known as a Monday/Friday truck) then you'll have hell for breakfast. Eventually it WILL get fixed but it takes persistence and guts. The good news is, once fixed, Rovers tend to stay fixed.

The old "Friday Truck" concept really died out a couple decades ago. We still joke about it, and perhaps there is a smidgen of truth there... but Rover is far more modern than it used to be with far better quality control.

Most people buy a new DiscoII and love it. Given a few small quirks and a pleasant service department, they drive the truck until they're sick of it. I bought one that was a year old, got a great deal on it, and I spent 2.5 years fighting hundreds of small problems. I literally HATED my truck for months on end, but the fine gents at Rover Anchorage went the distance with me, and now she's fixed and I'm utterly pleased with her. Zero problems for the last 2 years, and I use her hard.

If you want a turnkey "appliance" truck then you might want to consider the 4Runner or better, a 2-year-old Land Cruiser. That's a fine truck too. If you want the Rover experience and you're not afraid of a little (hopefully) aggravation then your choice is made. But don't go into this with blinders on, a Disco is a great truck but you'll hate it before the year is over... then all will be well again. It's gonna happen.

You'll also have to adopt a little tougher attitude about what's a "problem" with your truck. A leaking head gasket is truly catastrophic, but a drop of oil is not. A leaky hose will stop you in your tracks, but it would stop any vehicle. Rover's warranty is a good one, make sure you use it well.

Many people expect a Rover to be clean enough to eat off of, and when it makes a drop of oil on the garage floor they scream "LEMON" and speed-dial their attorney. It seems to be an American phenomenon... the rest of the world gladly accepts a drop of oil for the Rover's durability.

If that last paragraph resonates with your soul, then you're in it for the long run.

Best regards, -Bob
  • Options
    denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    Nanuq should be a writer, after reading his post I had to look at the picture in my office of my Defender and smile....It is parked at Estes Park with snow capped peaks in the background.. weep... weep... Now I don't have a disco so I can't comment on them. But my wife has a 97 4 runner and I drive a 95 Defender. A lot of the parts are similar between Defenders and older discos. I have a little over 100,000 miles on my Defender and so far the only leak is a small coolant stain coming from the head gaskets. I have been monitoring the coolant level and so far so good. I just have to catch it before I blow up my motor. I have had no oil leaks, axle leaks or anything elso so far. And after 100,000 miles I would expect some from ANY vehicle. I even repainted the garage floor last summer. If I felt the vehicle was going to leak I wouldn't have wasted my time painting. The good thing about land rovers is that replacing things is pretty straight forward. Batteries are easy to get to, brake pads are a breeze, oil changes are easy.

My wifes 4 runner has been a very good experience. The vehicle has a comfy ride, lots of cargo space, and we have had no problems with service. The only complaint about the 4 runner is the ABS system. Now this is a 97 model so they may have changed things, but this truck is not fun to drive on snowy roads. We have had the brakes checked out and everything works, even put new tires on it. The mechanic said Toyota's ABS systems are not very good. Now you may live in Florida or someplace warm so that may not matter to you.

I would take into consideration how far the land rover dealer is away from your house. If it is close than any service issues will not be a problem. Every time I have had work done on my Defender I was given a free loaner car. Toyota does not do that. If the nearest dealer is 50 miles away than service runs could become not such a nice experience.

Whatever you decide either vehicle is a good choice. You ultimately have to make up the decision for yourself..
  • Options
    c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    I' not sure I can go into great detail about my Disco II SD since I've only put in about 15k miles on her. I guess that's good (quite good) actually, I haven't had any problems since I drove her off the lot. I grew up mostly with Japanese vehicles and this time around I decided to go with something different. The Landcruiser and the 4runner were my original choices and you know what there isn't a day that I felt like I made the wrong decision. I actually look forward to getting in my rig and taking her for a spin, even if it's only to the local market. These rigs are built like a tank and I've never felt more secure than in any other vehicle I've owned. And from my dealings with the local dealership, they've been a pleasant experience. The Rover experience has been a joy from the start. I've been to a few Rover forum sites and everyone's like one big family. Don't know what else to say except that you can't go wrong.....good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    I was there last summer in a rental car and I was sure wishing for Anuqa. Some of those trails were just BEGGING for tire tracks. Ahhh well, I don't know how she'd survive the altitude... she likes this nice thick cold sea-level air.

FWIW, I grew up there rattling around in the back of a Willys CJ2A, and those were some great times. We went places that mules were afraid of. ;)

Thanks for the visual! -Bob
  • Options
    greg_xgreg_x Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at '99 Discoverys here in the Dallas area for around $19k.

Can someone give me some advice on things I should look for in determining if it is a good vehicle?

I appreciate any usefull information. Thanks!
  • Options
    dodgeram10dodgeram10 Member Posts: 74
    Yes I can tell you what to look for when buying a good vehicle. You need to look for something other then a Land Rover. When they get there quality up to the standards set by America & Japan vehicles then they will be making a far superior vehicle to anyone on the road.
  • Options
    dodgeram10dodgeram10 Member Posts: 74
    You stated that the Land Rover builds a far superior vehicle to the Toyota Land Cruiser. I would like to say that the Land Cruiser can out drive & outlast any Land Rover on the road. The Land Rovers leak oil from every seal on then & have all kinds of electrical problems. The Land Cruiser does not have many concerns with oil leaking from every seal & they do not have many electrical problems. Plus if you were to follow a Land Cruiser off road with your Land Rover then the Land Cruiser would have to keep pulling you out of the mud due to the oil slick you just laid down on the mud from your engine leaking all that oil.
  • Options
    Please everybody, don't feed the troll.
  • Options
    brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    Question on driving in "3": I believe I've read that it enhances the performance on the Disco. Do you drive in "3" in town or highway or both? I will be purchasing a Disco this week and wanted to know the best way to drive it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    Eric, I've had a Disco II for 12 months now (18k miles) and it has never missed a beat. I know the local Land Rover agent very well and they will tell you that they get far far less work on current Disco's than they used to. A friend of mine is looking to replace a Shogun this month and I lent it to him for a drive today. He has tested all similar models (at least as he sees it) in the last couple of weeks such as Toyota, Merc, BMW, Mitsubishi. All fine 4 wheel drivers but he now wants a Land Rover as none of the others gave the all round sense of purpose, poise, presence and practicality. In the UK they are very common but I guess in the US you also get some "pose" value as well.
  • Options
    bdonelonbdonelon Member Posts: 7
    Eric,

I was in your same shoes two years ago. I was looking at Toyota Land Cruiser vs. the Dico II. I also grew up driving very reliable Japanese cars (including a reliable Trooper). I was scared, but took the leap. I also read the posts before hand. But, I just loved the way the Disco drove and felt. Nothing was close to it.

I bought a new 2000 Disco II. I have put 32,000 trouble free miles. I drove it across the midwest, I drove it accross muddy marshes, I have pulled trailers, and cruised in traffic. It has been great. A couple small peices broke on the interior, but were immeidately replaced under warranty while I waited.

These trucks are tanks. If you get a 2000 or newer Disco, you should be okay on the reliablity issue.

For now, I am waiting for the 2003 model. Maybe a bigger V-8, side impact air bags, and some other areas that could use some improvement. When it arrives, I will be back at the dealership.
  • Options
    bdonelonbdonelon Member Posts: 7
    Other than waiting for the new version of the Disco II which is apparently coming in 2003, I am kicking around the idea of getting a 2000 or 2001 Range Rover HSE with low miles. I love my current Disco II, but wouldn't mind a little more power.

My thought is hopefully finding some good deals since the 2003 Range Rover is coming out.

At any rate, what is your input when comparing a Disco II to a 2001 Range Rover. The interior doesn't seem a whole lot bigger, but I hear it drives a little smoother on the open road. I woudl assume it's offroard capabilities are just as good.
  • Options
    02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    While 200 miles on a 2002 Discovery SE, Kalahari hardly makes me an authority on the subject, I would like to add my .02 cents. While doing my pre-purchase research I was told and read many things. The two that stuck in my mind were the following. I remember a post where someone had put most of the miles on his truck going back and forth to his dealer with problems. This post frightened me when I read it. I now find myself in that same position. Half, maybe more, of my 200 miles so far, have been accumulated going back and forth to land rover for small, annoying problems on my truck. As a matter of fact, after work tomorrow, I will be heading out to Land Rover to resolve two more minor problems. Would I condemn Land Rover for this circumstance? Absolutely not! I have been well taken care of and to date, Land Rover has stood on their heads to see that I am completely satisfied!
    I will now relate a personal encounter with a woman who owned a Discovery, a Range Rover, and a Toyota 4Runner. She told me that her husband could basically afford anything his heart desired and that he was partial to the Land Rover products. She said that all three trucks had served them well but she was partial to the 4Runner. Her reason for this was that although she liked the Rovers, she felt that in her personal experience, the 4Runner had proven itself to be more dependable. She also had issues with gas mileage. In my personal experience one SUV gets the same poor gas mileage that the other SUV gets give or take two or three miles per gallon. Yes, I have run up a few miles trying to get everything just right with my truck but those miles have enabled me to become familiar with the vehicle I have purchased. For my $40,000 it was a Land Rover. These are big heavy trucks that are built well and should deliver much satisfaction of ownership. I am not one to hold back my dissatisfaction with any product I purchase. So far, I am very pleased. You will have to decide for yourself and spend your dollar where you think you will get the most for your money. Good luck in your decision. Let us know what you decide.
    Best regards,
  • Options
    jake3895jake3895 Member Posts: 7
    02 Disco with 4000 trouble free miles. Drives and performs flawlessly. Fit and finish are top-notch, sound system is terrific, and the heated seats, what can I say, just great. How about the heated windshield, another plus. Just driving a Disco is like no other driving experience, once you have one, you understand.
  • Options
    mattferamattfera Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have a 1998 out there? What are some of the problems they are running into? What does an extended warranty cost...
  • Options
    serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    i am still doing some soul searching and will keep everyone informed about my decision...and maybe a post of some deep burning question again if i need some more assurance and comments..but for now..thank you again....

best regards,

eric
  • Options
    Driving in 3 instead of D keeps your engine a little higher in the powerband and therefore gives you a little more power and it's a little more responsive. I do this until my speeds start getting up around 50mph or so... then I go to D.

I've read elsewhere, and it's been my experience, that these engines thrive on regular exercize. If you drive it good and hard periodically, it seems to do well. Give her a long hard blast up an onramp once a week, or something like that. Driving around in '3', the ECU soon "learns" this is your driving preference and your mileage won't be much different than using 'D'. Your performance will be much better and your engine will (in my opinion) last longer.

-Bob
  • Options
    norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    I got my 02 White Disco SD. Its great! Thanks for all the input here. My first upgrades will be a CD changer and the heated seats, and some fog lights.
  • Options
    Congratulations, welcome to the fold! Let us know how your truck settles in to life in your household?!

About the heated seats... you may already "have" them, it just may be there are no switches to activate them. Apparently many trucks came with them, and there's a kit at Rovers North (I believe) consisting of switches to connect the existing wiring. These seats were dropped as a standard install item at some point in the recent past, so unless you pop open the panel to see if there are wiring plugs hiding in there, you're taking a chance. Scroll back thru the posts here, I believe we talked about this a couple weeks ago.

Congratulations! -Bob
  • Options
    Part Number: RCD2HEAT Price $60 Land Rover Genuine

Did you know that your Discovery is prewired for heated seats? Even heating elements are already there. All you need is to connect the switches.

How do I install heated seats?

Actually, all leather Discovery Series II's, and most of the others, come with the heated seats by default. They're just not hooked up! So, "installing" them is as easy as installing two switches and a faceplate. Here's what you need.

A small Phillips screwdriver (preferably magnetic) and the following parts:

Component Land Rover Part # Approx. selling price
    Left Heated Seat Switch YUG102430 USD 33.00
    Right Heated Seat Switch YUG102440 USD 32.00
    Heated Seat Switch Cover Plate BTR3655LNF USD 10.00

Using the above items, do the following eight steps.

With the vehicle turned off, pry off the rectangular plastic plate that surrounds the window switches by inserting a small flat tool, or your fingernail, and carefully pulling it up. Remove it evenly from each side as four 1/2" plastic spears keep it centered and attached. You must be careful not to break them off.
    Using the screwdriver, remove the four small screws that hold the black switch plate into the console. A magnetic driver will aid you in not losing these small screws. Remember which four holes they were in!
    Pry up the switch plate, which you'll notice has holes for the heated seat switches. Insert the appropriate switches in the two holes.
    Find the two unattached plugs in the wiring under the plate that match the switches. In theory, Green goes to Left and White goes to Right, but this is, after all, Land Rover. Plug in both switches.
    Start the vehicle and engage the Left switch. Ensure that the left seat warms accordingly. This may take up to four minutes. Repeat for the Right side. If the opposite seat heats up, reverse the plugs after turning the vehicle off.
    Reinstall switch plate with four screws.
    Install new switch cover plate that is orificed for the heated seat switches, window switches, and rear window lock switch. Ensure that the four retaining spears accurately and evenly engage their ports. Ensure that neither the rubber skid guard or emergency brake boot are pinched behind the plate.
    Drive around with a warm posterior!

You can buy the kit at roverconnection.com for $60.00
  • Options
    A humble request...

I managed to tear the roof rack crossbars clear off the top of my Disco (don't ask how, it was ugly). I have one good crossbar left, and I'm wondering if anyone here has one bar they want to sell? These are the Thule bars, sorta square in cross-section... with the pairs of pins that stick out from each end.

I'd sure appreciate it. L-R doesn't sell these old ones anymore, and I don't want to buy a whole new set. You can write me if you have one, at:

nanuq@bigfoot.com

Many thanks!
  • Options
    bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    When I first considered the Disco, I too was apprehensive about buying a British car. now I am approaching 7 months on my 2001 SE and I crossed 12,000 miles this weekend. I have been the dealer for the usual service and to fix 2 minor oil leaks (in the first month) and wheel rims scratched during a tire balancing. The service quality is beyond compare. With the wheels they were able to buff them out an did a complete exterior detail while at it. They have offered to refinish all 4 wheels if I want. Also the offending tool has been thrown out.

In my opinion the on road performance is great. These trucks are solid and keep you safe.

As for off road ability these trucks are mountain goats. I went out on a dealer event last Friday and put the Disco and Rangie to the test. What a blast. I spent a day climbing and descending steep rutted grades, stradling narrow valleys and getting sideways on cross slopes all while talking extensively with a large group of service and sales people.

Any new owner needs to this.
  • Options
    c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    Make sure that your SD seats have the heating element built into the seats. Unfortunately I found out the hard way. My rig came with the cable harness and mounting plate for the heated seats, but no elements! Needless to say I was pretty disappointed, looks like I'll have to return the kit to Rover Connections.

Looking into this whole mess I got myself into, I found Expedition Exchanges Disco forum and apparently someone else had gone thru the same scenario I had done. Anyway this gentleman decided to go thru the process of ordering the heating elements and will try to install them on his SD seats. He said he would post the latest developments on his project.....hope it works!

Anyway this was just an FYI for those wishing to get heated seats on their SD model Disco.

Al
  • Options
    ken133ken133 Member Posts: 2
    To MattFera, asking about 98s...
    I bought my 98 LSE almost one year ago and love it. I know there are some horror stories out there, but the only issues I've faced have been very minor: sunroof rattle, cracking window molding (dealer replaced free). It is so much more fun to drive than my previous Cherokee. I concluded 98 was a good year from the reliability and value standpoints, and I haven't regretted the decision at all.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Does anyone know if they're still going to introduce the New Discovery lll for '03? I understand the current Discovery will receive a facelift, larger motor & center locking diff. this June. I've heard rumors that the next generation Discovery might not show up until 2004. Anyone have info on this?
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The 03 Discovery is not a major redesign, that should come in 04. What you heard about the 03 is true. Land Rover is a small company, and it does not have the resources to launch more than one new model per year at this point. 03 is reserved for the new Range Rover.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the new models.
  • Options
    rrovergbrrovergb Member Posts: 1
    I am in the greater Atlanta area and am interested in purchasing either a new or minimally used 2001 or 2002 Disco. Anyone know which dealer sells the vehicle at the best price? Distance is no issue... Thanks...
  • Options
    mattferamattfera Member Posts: 5
    my email is mfera@cecom.com
  • Options
    We've got a severe weather advisory going on, 70mph winds along Turnagain arm, heavy snow since this morning. Sooooooooooooo I just HAD to go out playing in it. WHAT A TRUCK!!! I've been busting through snowdrifts so deep they blow up over Anuqa's hood, up over the windshield. The headlights and wheel wells are packed in snow, it's up on top of the transfer case, and she just keeps churning along. YAHOOO!!!!
  • Options
    Sounds like your having toooo much fun. Must be a blast!
  • Options
    I'm home now, and only buried the truck once! Annnnnd, I was heading back home, sitting at a light and THE NIGHTMARE happened: a woman rear-ended me!!! Sitting there, WHAM!!! I thought "oh great..." and got out to look at the damage. The poor lady just WASTED the front of her Camry... I mean there were pieces and holes and chunks. And what did it do to my poor helpless Rover? Well, there's a tiny bit of black paint chipped off the underside of my hitch receiver. That's all.

I felt sorry for her, I told her it's no biggie and she left, looking extremely embarrassed. And I went back out and busted some more drifts! Anuqa is in the garage now, melting and making a lake the size of Rhode Island.

YAHOO!
  • Options
    denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    This post has nothing to do with discos, but Land rover guys may appreciate it. I dropped my Defender off at the dealership for service and they gave me a new freelander as a loaner. Chevy or Ford would never do that!!!!!!!! Anyway I was driving away and my posterior started getting hot... I realized this vehicle has heated seats!!! Technology today is a wonderful thing. I am used to driving in the winter with a towel stuffed against the jungle vent on the passenger side to keep the cold air from blowing on my wife(she doesn't appreciate suffering, though she loves when the softop comes off in the summer)

I spent 2 winters in Chicago driving a jeep with no heat. I had to carry a scraper to scrape the frost off the INSIDE of the windows as I was driving. These kind of experiences keep you humble. Anyway, even though it is expensive, my dealership treats me right every time.

nanuq, sounds like you are having too much fun, we haven't got any snow to speak off yet... I am holding out in hope for the spring snows.
  • Options
    Yep... every time I take Anuqa in for anything they always give me a spanking new DII... I just know they're trying to schmooze me into wanting one!! But I really prefer the DI. But am I telling them??? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

Hey I can top that... here we get invitations to the catered Christmas party with gifts for all the kids from Santa... and these are NICE gifts! It's always a free bar, free chow, great folks... but it's attended by all these snooty Rover drivers (grin!!) so I just hang out with the mechanics in the shop... between trips for more shrimp!

There's an EARLY Chevy Apache pickup running around town and she puts candles on the dash to keep the glass clear. Gotta love that Yankee ingenuity!

Una inuq aaniqtuuq, -Bob
  • Options
    ...from suspension bushes, blinking electricals and rattling over rocks, my Rover sends a HAPPY VALENTINES DAY via Morse code to all her siblings out there in Roverdom.

Enjoy the day!
  • Options
    expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    My Disco II could talk. 13K and still tight as a drum. Smooth, silky (for a real 4X4) and leak free. Like you said before, once they are fixed they stay fixed. Most my problems were not even LRs' fault, but the shoddy glass and moulding work by its previous owner. (wind noise)
    PS. I am driving my 13 year old nuts listening to the WB. What a neat option being half way located between the mountains and the seashore.
  • Options
    Here in Alaska it's a computerized voice too... it sounds wild! I know what you mean....
  • Options
    On the whole "once they are fixed they stay fixed" idea, wouldn't you say that a higher mileage used Disco would be a better bet then one that has a low number of miles?

If someone else owned it for 4 years and put 90k miles on it, chances are that it was solid and anything that did go wrong was fixed and stayed fixed.

Am I correct in this thinking?
  • Options
    Absolutely. But, consider that at that nbr of miles you'll start replacing parts like fuel pumps, alternators and possibly power steering pumps, exhausts and catalysts. These are all expensive parts. But once you've "bought another round" you're good for another 100k miles... so take the expense with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    gordhanpatel46gordhanpatel46 Member Posts: 1
    Please send me complete review on the above vehicle. I want to read all positive and negative
    comments on this vehicle before final decision to buy
  • Options
    tciseahorsetciseahorse Member Posts: 2
    I'd suggest you read the archived messages here, and elsewhere on the web. Run a search on "Land Rover" and you'll be up to your ears in things to read. No one can provide everything you need to know in one post. Good luck.
  • Options
    craniocranio Member Posts: 4
    could someone please let me know exactly what is going to happen with this truck in the next couple of years. Is there going to be a bigger engine if so when. Is there going to be a disco III if so when. Tincup you seem to know whats going on your help would be greatly appreciated. I love the truck as it is now but I need a little more power I think a 4.6 engine would be perfect. Also does anyone know if the 2004 change will be a major one.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    2003 will bring the 4.6 engine, diff. lock for tranfer box, and cosmetic changes. Have not heard anything on 2004 Discovery yet, but should more changes than 2003.