Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• mdcyumdcyu Posts: 6
    Pathdoc:
    I was thinking about the same thing before I purchased this 2002 model. I was told the 2003 model will be out around Oct. However I will expect that the price will be much firmer than 2002 model. By the way, are you a pathologist?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    $2,600 over (Probably about $2K over when ya figure they get spanked with LDA on these in all probability) is a strong deal.

Like Pathdoc said, supply has been cut below demand on them right now... (CAFE concerns)

Bill
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    Yes I'm a pathologist practicing in a hospital in southern Calif. I've been interested in cars for many years and try to attend as many events as possible. My favorite is the week of the Monterey Historic races, Pebble Beach Concours, etc.
  • tinlittletinlittle Posts: 21
    Mike, you must have other options on that car besides ML. It is indeed a good deal if you got that from a local dealer. The guys on this board have to get $2000 over deals from FL and add $500 shipping charges.

I would ignore the LDA since there is also a $1900 dealer holdback on this. Are you in CA? I would very much like to know which dealer you get this, if you are.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Some folks on another website are saying that a new sequoia-based lexus suv is scheduled to come out in 2004 as a 2005 model. They say it'll be called the VX540 and will replace the LX 470. Does anybody here know if this true or if this is just speculation? Does the upcoming styling change on the 470 signal the end of that truck in two years? Can any knowledgeable lexus folks enlighten me? Thanks!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    Yes - that is the strong rumor - that they are going to make an ultralux larger truck in the $70k+ range in 2005 as their top of the line. They will wait to see if the GX470 is a hit next year before making that committment. They also intend to lengthen the RX300 and give it an optional 3rd row. Thus they would end up with 3 classes of trucks in the $35-$42k, $48-$55k and $70k+ brackets. Naturally the GX becomes a slightly smaller but significant replacement for the current LX and Lexus ends up covering the entire spectrum. This comes from a Lexus salemen I am dealing with on a totally different issue.

This guy says Lexus is intending to go more and more upscale in the coming years but wants to maintain cars and trucks in their current price range at the same time. So you'll likely see v-12 engines and other expensive goodies in certain models and model extensions or new replacements in others. But they have no intention of outpricing current customers so hence an intro like the GX470 flows in.
  • mdcyumdcyu Posts: 6
    tinlittle
    yes, it was more than just ML system, i also got cargo mat, rear wind deflector, roof rack, spare tire lock and wheel locks.
    all those were manutacturer intsalled, I had no choice but take them which i would like to have them anyway.
    i am not at CA, i am at WA, i can give you the dealer's name if you want.

pathdoc
    are you going to wait for the 2003 model?
  • 9411794117 Posts: 39
    The GX will.

For those looking to buy, carsdirect.com will give a good idea of what LXs are going for in your area. I got my 2001 lasdt year for $10,000 off of MSRP ($65K) so this was about $2000 below invoice. The broker prices are about $7500 higher now but the $3000 navigation system is standard for 2002 so, effectively, Lexus lowered the MSRP by $3000 for 2002.

Does anybody know how a negative comment about a dealer in a survey from Lexus affects the dealer?
    Let's say I had a buddy with a Land Cruiser who wanted to switch the badging with my LX. Would it be easy to switch the grill and chrome emblems in the rear? Does the dealer remove the emblems when they Gold Pack a car. Are there holes in the body holding the emblems on or is glue used?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    If they are glued on, the Badge/emblem removal techniques board may help.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

It looks like the grill emblem is the same shape as well so maybe it's just a matter of going to the Toyota store and having them remove and install some badges.

Are 18 inch wheels a good thing in the new LX? It seems like Toyota is keeping up with the Jones' when BMW has SUVs with optional 20 inchers ("not recommended for off-road use"). I'm going to Western Canada and Alaska soon with a friend's spare tire and two unmounted tires just in case of flats on the gravel highways. Finding 18 inch tires in the boonies might be tough. I'd be surprised if Toyota went worldwide with 18 inch wheels on their SUVs so I'm thinking this is a styling over functionality issue.
    Heck, even the Cassier is mostly paved these days. I never took more than one spare on my trips up and down - those things take up a lot of room.

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

...to get flats. Maybe my plan is overkill and a couple of cans of flat fixer would keep me out of trouble.
    Been there, done that, one flat :-)

It's remote, but don't go nuts. You won't get stuck in any one place all that long. I don't recommend bombs of gas on the roof either. Grab a Milepost too (http://themilepost.com). Great country, you'll love it.

Steve
    Host

• tinlittletinlittle Posts: 21
    Mike, thanks for the info. I am now waiting for the 2003 model after checking out new features of the car at insidelexus.

3 major things I like on the new LX, side airebag/curtain airbag, voice activation on GPS and 18 inch wheel. The 16 intch wheel is too small.

I expect price won't increase more than a couple of hundred dollars. So I will either get a new one or get a 2002 around Oct for $2000 below invoice.
  • lambeth1lambeth1 Posts: 2
    Our 99 lx470 lease is up, the buy out is $36,400. My problem is deciding whether to purchase the lexus and have it run through lexus certification for $899. It has 34,500 miles. No problems at all.The other suv's that we have looked at and driven are the Denali, Escalade, BMW 3.0. To purchase the Lexus would cost @$1,200/month for 3 years, it should be worth @$18,000 in 2006. The lease prices that I have been quoted for the others Tax Inc. 3yr/36k are $750, Denali, $800 Escalade,$735 BMW. $2,000 out of pocket on all 3 quotes. I am not sure what would be the best way to go. A new lease on a 2002 lx is $1,200/month wow! This is my wifes car, I drive a 2002 Yukon which I enjoy but it is not a Lexus. Any thoughts? I have 3 weeks to decide.
  • md2002md2002 Posts: 142
    The problem is there is no comparison. You indincated as such by saying you drive a 2002 Yukon and it is not a Lexus. $1200/Month over 3 years seems a bit steep (don't know your money factor) but I would say long term have it certified and keep it. The others including the BMW 3.0 (which has had several issues) are not worth their residuals at the end (except the BMW due to the BMW name).

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
  • rainymamarainymama Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1999 Lexus LX470. The dealer told me that the TLC was going to be discontinued. This might account for some of the difficulty in finding the LX470. He said Lexus produced less of them in order to move the TLC. Has anyone else heard about this? Just wondered if it was true.
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    I have heard a couple of conflicting reports - first I heard that the TLC will be discontinued because Toyota is selling a heck of a alot more Sequoias than Land Cruisers - also, they will be making in the future several different models of the Sequoia, one being a luxury edition similar to the Land Cruiser - then I heard or read that this is hogwash - so I don't really have an answer - we have a '00 LX 470 and my husband just loves it - I like it too except for the gas mileage!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    It actually doesn't make business sense to keep the TLC and the LX470 so similar. Why would'nt Toyota want those who can afford TLC's shopping in Lexus showrooms so that they are exposed to LS,SC, GS and ES models intesd of Avalons and Camry's. You've got to believe at some point the two models will become a lot more differentiated with the more high end model being a Lexus.

At the same time it wouldn't make sense to kill a lengedary brand name like the TLC. So I would think it'll become a different type of truck, maintain it's high-end quality and be priced in the $40-45k range at some point in the near future.

Yes - I also agree this is a great truck and I also love it. I get around 16-17mpg which I am actually pleasantly surprised about but it'd be nice to get 20.