Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Looks like both engines run on premium fuel. the new V6 is aluminum and VVTi. Nice legroom, 44" in front, 38" in rear.

V8 is full-time 4WD
    V6 is shift-on-the-fly multi-mode, (ADD) system.

Ground clearance is 9.1"

16" & 17" rims

Rear seats fold flat with one hand instead of the current tumble style. No need to remove headrests either. 70" from back of front seats to the back. 57" at widest.

2 tier cargo space supported by wheel wells.

Rear seat HVAC vents in center console.

GPS navigation system.

Audio controls on steering wheel.

JBL 6 speaker system
    JBL 10 speaker, surround system.
    single cd or 6 cd in-dash units.

Ventilated front (4 piston) & rear (2 piston) disc brakes

Standard power rr window, remote controlled in backhatch. Electric release switch & power
    opener.

4 channel ABS.

Torsen center diff. (lockable in high & lo).

Hill Start Assist.

Downhill Assist Control.

Tilt & telescoping steering wheel column.

Side curtain shield airbags & seat-mounted side airbags.

The PDF file on the link has everything in it.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Edmunds.com rules.
  • Options
    808highlander808highlander Member Posts: 3
    I saw a bunch of 2003 4Runners today at the local distributor's receiving lot. Couldn't believe it when I passed...had to turn around and pull over. Sure enough, just behind a chain-link fence, not even 3 feet from a public road, were a bunch of '03 4Runners.

There were at least 8 - 10 in various colors and trims. There were several Limiteds, a couple of Sport Packages, and one regular SR5 (didn't have a rear spoiler, and some trim was not body-colored).

All had yet to be prepped (i.e. all were missing center wheel caps), but it was really cool being able to see it in person after months of staring at spy shots.

I didn't have my digial camera with me, but I'm sure the photos at the other site linked above are much better than what I could've taken anyway.
  • Options
    How much larger are they in person? Just curious.
  • Options
    tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Thanks world traveler!!! You just made my night! I forgot to set my VCR today for MotorWeek, but it's going to be on at 4am this morning, so it's set now! But these pictures have me VERY EXCITED!!!

As long as the rocker height is higher than my truck and close to the 3rd gen, the 9.3" under-body ground clearance will be fine, especially when I add bigger tires. I've been on some really rough stuff with my Jimmy and have never high-centered my truck, so, even though this is a slightly longer rig, I'm sure this baby will be fine. I'm not thrilled about the premium gas, which does help keep the engine burning slightly cleaner and run more efficiently, but maybe I'll put a propane conversion on it anyway.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how the new Limited looks. These pictures are fantastic, and have convinced me that this is a far better truck than the current generation, ground clearance withstanding, of course. I can't wait to see and drive one, especially one in black! Praise the Lord for Corey; I can sleep better tonight!
  • Options
    I thought only people on sugar got this excited. I agree, the limited looks much better. The dark hard plastic on the other 2 models look unfinished. Those 2 new motors are going to be nice.
  • Options
    Interestingly, the '03s I saw were parked next to a couple of '02 4Runners on one side and Highlanders on the other. My first impression was that it looked much wider than the '02 (no surprise because it is wider). It looked taller and slightly wider than the Highlander, but that may have been due to the Sport model's running boards and flares.

I would have like to have seen the plain SR5 parked directly next to an '02 4Runner and Highlander for comparison purposes, but that wasn't the way they were arranged.

Overall, the new design is growing on me...seeing it in person helped.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update and info. Appreciate it. Looking forward to a test drive next month.
  • Options
    I hadn't finished looking at page 2, because I was so excited, but I'm definitely SOLD on the black Sport Edition with the 5-spoke Limited wheels! I actually like the black cladding on the black body. Those fender flair indentations still throw me off a bit, but maybe they'll look cool in person. I just can't believe how much COOLER this looks in good photos! I don't care what all the loyalists say, this is one BAD-@$$ looking truck!!! That hood looks so cool in these pics, too!

This definitely looks like a logical evolution of the 4Runner, and makes the other SUVs in the Toyota lineup pale by comparison. This was well worth the wait, for sure. Okay, I think I'll go clean my shorts now, but this is unbelievable to go from almost nothing to OVER-WHELMING!

Oh, and if you haven't yet, definitely download the PDF and Powerpoint files. There's even more stuff there, like the rear cargo area and illustrations of how everything functions. Whew! I don't know what to look at first!
  • Options
    You had better stock up on a couple of xtra shorts.
  • Options
    I suppose this was a bad night to have 2 huge glasses of Dr. Pepper with dinner, followed by frozen custard! ;o)
  • Options
    Are you sure it wasn't the Dr. Pepper that you had for dinner.

I like that nice little touch where you can fit water or soda bottles in the doors.

That PDF makes a nice comprehensive booklet when printed. Very handy.
  • Options
    Interestingly, the '03s I saw were parked next to a couple of '02 4Runners on one side and Highlanders on the other. My first impression was that it looked much wider than the '02 (no surprise because it is wider). It looked taller and slightly wider than the Highlander, but that may have been due to the Sport model's running boards and flares.

I would have like to have seen the plain SR5 parked directly next to an '02 4Runner and Highlander for comparison purposes, but that wasn't the way they were arranged.

Overall, the new design is growing on me...seeing it in person helped.
  • Options
    Looks like someone else is on sugar too.
  • Options
    jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    In my opinion, it looks like the new 4Runner is still going to be one of the best looking SUV's out there. The third generation Runner looked flawlessly perfect. This new one looks just as great. I was really starting to have doubts about the new Runner until I saw the newest pics. I was well on my way to purchasing a 2002 Limited thinking it was going to be the last good looking 4Runner that Toyota ever had made. I guess I'll put that on hold. We've all waited so many years for this and it looks like it was well worth the wait. I've gotta get this truck! I'm glad I had trouble sleeping tonight. I woke up at 3am and decided to see what was new on the net concerning the 4Runner because I just had one of those feelings and it looks like I hit the jackpot.

Nice Job Toyota
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I mean when are we ever gonna get some real detailed photographs of this thing. I'm tired of waiting. :) Good one on the shorts Mr. Whipple. This sounds like something right up your alley, or Mr. Depends.

I hate to beat this third row seating topic to death, but I wonder if you could buy the 3rd row hardware from Lexus and put it in the 4Runner.
  • Options
    peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    1.) The 4Runner now looks bigger in than the Highlander in the line up.

2.) They didn't put the Land Cruiser at the end of the line up. Oh well, it now plays second fiddle.

3.) It now looks like a baby brother Sequoia. Although the looks are a little "busy", I like the Limited quite a bit and the SR5 with the plastic cladding is not my cup of tea.

6.) Both engines look very tight in the engine compartment, compared to the 3rd generation. Also I don't like hiding a engine under a black plastic cover, like the new 4.0 V6.

7.) Toyota is probably really ticked that those pictures are all over the inter-net.
  • Options
    mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    If you are in the Washington, DC area, Motorweek (to my knowledge) will come on at 12 in the afternoon on Saturday on Channel 32 (Howard University station) and on PBS (channel 22) at 5:00PM. A repeat of that episode will also come on at 8:30 on September the 26th on PBS (channel 22).

As far as the Speed Channel on DIrect TV, I've never heard of this show and I have never turned on this channel. Is this a channel in the Wash, DC area if you have Direct TV?
  • Options
    What is the consensus here of people buying a 03 what you are expecting to pay?
  • Options
    mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Yes, DirectTV Channel 607 airs the same MotorWeek 3 times a week. (But, I guess it is a week behind PBS.) I will look for the DC area airings this weekend. THX.
  • Options
    airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    I'd be happy paying around $32,000 for the Sport. But not if it's going to have the black fender flares.
  • Options
    That is the price I was quoted today at Lombard Toyota (IL).
  • Options
    glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I just asked my local dealer when they would be getting in their "one" '03 and they said not until the beginning of November. Apparently (the deal says) every dealership will get one to begin with for the showroom. He said that they haven't even seen pictures of it yet.

I agree with you tbcreative.... the black on black sport would be my pick also. It does look a little lower to the ground, but it's hard to tell because the pictures are dark.

Unfortunately, I think they might be out of my price range.... $32,000 is a lot for the Sport.

tbcreative, off the subject, but what shop did you find the best price for you BFG's? I'm not too impressed with the Goodyear RT/S on the new Dakota. The ZR2 is going back tomorrow with 45,000 miles and the BFG's still look new.
  • Options
    My dealer showed me two SR5's and one Limited scheduled to arrive Oct 5. Pricing will be announced before Oct 1, 2002.
  • Options
    The pictures that were posted came with a 32 page "4Runner Product Introduction". It looks to be something for the dealers. Here are some of the details I found interesting:

1.) 265/70R16 tires with SR5, 265/65R17 with Sport and limited.

2.) First Toyota aluminum truck engine ever with the 4.0 V6.

3.) 5,000 lb. towing (reqs available engine & transmission cooler). Best with opt air spring suspension. This is for the V6 & V8.

4.) Final drive ratio is 3.7 V8 and 3.9 V6.

5.) power heated mirrors std on Sport & Limited.

6.) No signs of a third seat.

7.) VSC & TRAC standard on 2WD and 4WD.

8.) Day time running lights optional for all models.

9.) No information on cargo capacity.

(This is a must have for anyone interested in the new model. Go to the second page of pictures and down load FILE.)
  • Options
    mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    I hope no one was offended by my choice to use a symbolic euphemism (i.e., a bunch of those %$%^&*) to quote my wife this morning upon seeing the new Runner shots. Edmunds has a strict policy on this (which I goofed up on) and removed my 2 or 3 cents. I hope you guys are kind enough to forgive the oversight!

The Cleaned-up Message:

Sorry Guys . . . but I respectively have to disagree to a great extent (only my opinion of course, very subjective is appearance). First, thanks for forwarding the Great photos World Traveler. But . . . everything in these shots confirms that what some of us were hoping was only a "test model," is in fact the real deal! The
    shots are of course much better and the Runner at least looks respectable here, but the basic flaws remain: that PLASTIC!!! (Squared-off fenders accentuate it too.) That minivan spoiler! The overall lower stance! I'm in trouble . . . unless I buy the top-dollar loaded Limited (with speed sensing deflectors, hydraulics, etc. I don't care about . . .), which (without the spoiler) I do agree with recent posts looks pretty attractive in these photos, then I am . . . D - E - V - A -S - T - A - T - E - D! As those who wanted an SR5 or Sport, how can we live with that mess on my screen? My wife just woke up, looked and said: "NO! That's the Sport!? No, sorry. We'll not be seen in that - get that darn H2 if we have to spend $40+K for the Limited!" MAYBE IF THEY HAD NOT PUT THE PLASTIC OVER THE FENDERS - BUT THEY REALLY DID! What was wrong with the Chrome? Why be a follower Toyota? You tell me: name ONE difference between these shots of the Sports / SR5s and the AMI AutoWorld Mag. shot that 9 out of 10 were praying would not be the final product for the SR5 and Sport crowd (the majority of buyers)? You Limited guys did much better (but still got the original blue Runner spyshot's rear-end), however, Toyota did not come through for the rest of the pack! Ok, I'm done, I said my peace. If I can't figure out that supercharger deal, then I'll let you know what I think when I test drive the H2 this weekend (please don't waste any time explaining why I should not do so - after a 3-year wait for Toyota, it's irrational and contradictory I know.) Good Luck guys!
  • Options
    I'm a bit confused about the MotorWeek schedule. The episode on Speed TV had the Mini-Cooper S, which is supposed to air on next week's show, but NO 4RUNNER! I don't get it. Did Toyota put the smack-down on MotorWeek, or what?! For some unknown reason, PBS in Phoenix doesn't air MotorWeek, so I'm wondering what the deal is. Anyone have any idea?
  • Options
    Hey, you never told me whether you have the Blazer ZR-2 or the S-10 ZR-2. I'm just wondering which version of the BFGs you have, the GM-licensed version on the Blazer, or the true BFGs on the S-10 ZR-2/Sonoma Highrider.

Anyway, BFG/Michelin has a price hold on their All-Terrains and Mud-Terrains, so no one has a better price. Occassionally, they will offer sales to retailers, marking them down about $10–15/tire, but the only places I've seen who advertise those sales have been Discount Tire and Sears. I personally recommend Discount, regardless. I have bought all of my tires there because I support their low prices, great service, knowledgeable sales people, free rotations, and cheap extended warranties that cover tire punctures and re-balancing. They are also very helpful in explaining all of the warranty differences in tire manufacturers.

So, there you go. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Thanks, but what if I don't have DirectTV?
  • Options
    jd_ottawajd_ottawa Member Posts: 20
    What happened to web site linking to the new pictures? Seems like it has been cut off. Did anyone copy the pictures and be willing to email them.

Thanks
  • Options
    Toyota wrote a nasty e-mail to Corey and said stop. In the mean time the site was shut down for either having too much band width or by Toyota. "jd ottawa" I tried to send you a e-mail, but on your user profile none was listed. You could always open a hotmail account for free and shut it down after I send you the pictures. Yes I saved the pictures.

Quite frankly I am tired of the secrecy of Toyota. I am getting to the point, that I don't care if they let us have the privilege of us looking at and buying their new SUV.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << As for the Touareg; it's quite capable off road. It has a 2 speed transfer case, locking differentials ( 4Runner doesn't any more), traction control and hill descent, so it's probably every bit as capable as this new 4Runner. >>

I couldn't agree more. I think the new Touareg is a great addition to the mid-size SUV landscape. I am willing to bet it will make many non-believers&#151;BELIEVERS! I can't wait to see these two paired up in some magazine off-road face-off.

Bob
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Info from the 4Runner PDF:

New 4Runner is larger in many key dimensions:

a. overall length > 41/2&#148; to 187.8&#148;
    b. wheelbase > 41/2&#148; 109.8&#148;
    c. ft leg room > 2&#148; 44&#148;
    d. rr leg room > 11/2&#148; 381/4&#148;
    e. headroom > 1/2&#147; 39.7&#148; ft / 39.1&#148; rr
    f. pass-pass width > 2&#148; 30&#148;
    g. shoulder room > 41/2&#148; / 4&#148; 58&#148; ft / 57.2&#148; rr
    h. hip room > 51/2&#148; / 4&#148; 55.3&#148; ft & rr
    i. track > 21/2&#148; 62&#148;
    j. overall width > 3&#148; 73.8&#148;

Bob
  • Options
    Sorry about my snippy attitude in that last post. I try not to speak with my head up my wazoo, but I'm very passionate about environmental and conservation issues. I should have found out where exactly you were coming from. I am aware of the politics involved, and appreciate your intelligent answer.

I agree that the Touareg looks like it will be quite an off-roader, but like I said, it's just so darned cute (and bland)! It doesn't look "rough and tumble." I think I'd be afraid to even get it dirty. And the Volvo, while it looks more the part of an off-road machine, is going to be way out of the range of what I will pay for an SUV.

I'm with you, rsholland, I'd love to see a face-off of all the new SUVs, like the Pilot, the Touareg, the XC90, the Aviator, and the H2. I know it wouldn't be fair to the Pilot in that company, but maybe that would show people who don't know much about 4-wheelin', what it's all about! I'd love to see a full-blown comparison, much like Motor Trend did in the desert last year, with all sizes and classes to see who fairs the best and comes out on top in different categories. I'm guessing the H2 would easily take the off-road crown, followed by the Rubicon Wrangler, but I'd be curious to see where the rest would fall into place.
  • Options
    Have you guys looked at the illustration that shows how the back-up mirrors work? What a great frickin' idea! That would help in all kinds of situations, on and off-road.

I am amazed at how much great stuff this new truck is packing into a mid-sized platform, and for a relatively reasonable price. And by that I mean after the hype dies down and I go to a fleet manager and get close to invoice. I will be able to get a fully-loaded SR5 for about the price of a decently-loaded Trailblazer or Explorer, neither of which have all the cool stuff the new 'Runner has, even in their loaded forms, or the off-road ability.

I can't wait to drive one, and I really can't wait for the V6!
  • Options
    jd_ottawajd_ottawa Member Posts: 20
    Peter78, I added an email address. I would really appreciate those pictures.

Thanks a bunch
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice that in the Powerpoint file there's a graph showing the torque numbers for the V8, and the inset caption says "Results from Regular Gasoline?" Maybe the information that you guys, who have told us about the V8s & V6s using Premium, have is incorrect?
  • Options
    klc5610klc5610 Member Posts: 8
    I too missed the pictures and PDF. They were already gone when trying to access the site. Sick of waiting and ready to buy. If anyone can email the pictures and PDF it would be great.
  • Options
    superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    Hi guys - Can't believe after months of diligently following this thread, I missed all the comotion. I was at a conference for the last couple of days and by the time I checked back in, the site with the new pics was GONE! Based on the reactions, sounds like it looked pretty good outside and in (I was more curious about the inside). I agree with some of the comments about Toyota's secrecy campaign. They are obviously desparate not to canibalize current sales, but we on this forum represent a relatively small group of devotees. They could release some information and be assured that 90% of the public won't seek out those first pics like we would.
    Anyway, if someone who downloaded the pdf could repost somewhere, I would love to weigh in on the looks! Really sorry I missed out...
  • Options
    cammer2cammer2 Member Posts: 38
    I missed the pictures also. If Peter78 or someone else who downloaded the file could e-mail it to me, that would be great. Have been following this post for a long time and was so close.
  • Options
    Hey, does your e-mail address end in @yahoo.ca. . For some reason I am having a hard time e-mailing you. Peter78
  • Options
    I think it said premium fuel was "recommended" for the V8. The V6 didn't say that. Kind of strange. More sugar?
  • Options
    Still look like glorified station wagons. The 3 lockable diffs on the VW is nice though. I believe the Touareg is going to be priced very expensively.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is going to be mid-30's starting price for the smallest engine. They have no plans to bring the diesel here. Does it come with tires suitable for offroading?

Lately Toyota seems to be going gadget-crazy, as one more way of justifying price jumps. Personally, I prefer things a little more basic. Having said that, if they can really hold the line on price increases for at least one year, I guess I can always disconnect gadgets I don't want or need, huh?!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Make that sugar Whipple-charged please! I've got a deadline to meet...
  • Options
    Working that overtime for your Runner?
  • Options
    brew003brew003 Member Posts: 2
    tbcreative, peter78, anyone... please email me the newest pics of the 03 in the PDF. many thanks!
  • Options
    falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    Peter78...I would really appreciate if you could email me the pics and PDF file on the 2003 4 Runner. Thanks in advance!!!!
  • Options
    check your email.
  • Options
    brew003brew003 Member Posts: 2
    Can't thank you enough for the pics. Which dealer wants my $$ first?