Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Ok....

2. The '03 Disco can lock the center diff too. In fact, on my '02 4Runner i can also lock the center diff in 4-hi and 4-lo.

4. Does crossmember = better, stiffer frame?? Doesn't the GMC Envoy have a ton of crossmembers??

5. Ok...so i am right. Toyota does not have electronic air springs...only electronic shocks.

6. Explain to me the "solid-state blah". Land Cruiser has 4-ch ABS with different modes on high and lo-ranges. Land Rover has had this for years. Nissan has a cheaper version. Explain please.

7. No comment...personal preference.

8. Uhh...the 4Runner is only 3 to 4-in narrower. Does that mean my 2002 4Runner is more capable than anything (it has 68")??? How about my bicycle?? That is pretty narrow!

9. YOUR quote: "Yes, both engines require premium, but can run on regular in a pinch."

Yes, i would like to ask the new 4Runner's chief engineer why he thought that??? Could he just be BSing to promote his design?? Why did he say that??? I would like to know.

I am impress that you have bought those vehicles...how are you buying them?? Did you win the lottery or are you leasing??

Oh yeah, almost forgot, i too off-road quite a bit.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    "I've bought a new Land Cruiser, 4Runner, or LX470 every year for the past 15 years, and drive them the way they're intended."

Wow, wish I was able to do that.

Recently went to my Toyota Dealer (Longo Toyota, undergoing various odd renovations/remodeling, who needs a newstand in a car dealership?!) and found out they are putting in "Pro-Lube" additives to the fuel system and engine. Are any other Toyota dealerships doing this, or is this some way for them to pay for their new additions (A newstand?! Come on now...). Also, anyone actually notice a difference when additives like these are added? I didn't really notice anything.

-On another note, Longo Toyota has the most 02 4Runners left I've seen anywhere, I'd estimate at least 20-30 left.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Lexus claim's the GX470 (V8) will hit 60 in 8.5 seconds-not bad for 4,600 lbs.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    so I don't give a darn about 0-60 times, but I am disappointed, because it looks as though the worst may be true. They have lowered ground clearance...have they lengthened the wheelbase as well? The biggest problem I have encountered with Runner is getting high-centered, and that problem will plague the new generation if they have lengthened AND lowered it. What a shame.

I don't like comparisons to the "middle of the spectrum"...the middle of the SUV spectrum is a bunch of joke trucks that I would never seriously consider taking off-road.

So now I have to buy a limited with special air suspension option just to get a ride height a HALF INCH LOWER than what the most basic 4Runner has now, and either way, my rear diff is two full inches closer to the ground.

Long live the '96-'02s!!!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

am I the only one here (I might seriously be!) that thinks the current engine has enough power to do the job, and jumping up and down celebrating powerful new engines is missing the point a little?

Once you take the current generation off the pavement, I have never yet encountered anything it did not have enough engine to handle.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kennyinmdkennyinmd Member Posts: 18
    All this talk about the new Runner...Does anyone know what the length will be, ground clearance, or width? Will a 3rd row seat be an option? How much horsepower will it have...from a V6 or a V8? How much will it cost?...and finally the official date of release...I'm hearing Oct. 15th. Thanks for everyone that assists.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    You are a little late to the game! ;o)

All of your questions and more have been answered here on the last 5 or so pages of posts, so if you want to know even more info, you can scroll back and check out all of our ramblings. You can check out http://www.lexus.com for all the specs on the GX, which will be nearly identical to the new 4Runner that shares the same platform.

But here's a quick run-down to answer your questions. We're still unclear about definite ground clearance numbers, but it looks like maybe a little over 9". The new dimensions are about 5" bigger in all directions, including the wheelbase. 3rd row won't be available on the 4Runner, at least this year, but it is standard on the GX 470. The new V6 is rated at 245 hp and 283 lbs/ft of torque, while the V8 is 235 hp and 320 lbs/ft. Prices are supposed to start at $27,500. We're also not sure about the absolute release date, but our information ranges from the end of September to the middle of October.

Be sure to check out all of the pics, if you decide to scroll up and scan the previous posts.

• mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Toyota of Marina Del Rey also uses it.
    They use the Pro-Fuel as well.

Pro-Lube - Oil Conditioner
    (engine, trans/diff, & power steering)

Pro-Fuel - Fuel Conditoiner
    (injectors/carbs, lasts 3,000 miles)
  • ductapeductape Member Posts: 3
    After the personal attacks (2599) maybe he left. Too bad, we were getting some good stuff. Did you read about the brakes? Amazing.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Following this board every day, it is clear that his posts have been removed by Edmunds sometime between 9 PM last night and this morning. Too bad, as it looked to be reliable information based on actual new Toyota codes. My guess is that he was some renegade "insider" of sorts who had accurate information that, under Edmunds support for the Toyota info. embargo on the new Runner, had to be removed. And to think, I was just about to copy it into an E-mail to my wife expressing disappointment that (as I expected) the features that would make a 2003 a better choice than the 2002 (in my mind) appear to be mainly available on the Limited. Did anyone happen to copy this information down yesterday?

My biggest disappointment, like nippononly, is that 4Runner has lost its "top-of-the-pack" high stance and 11" of ground clearance that set it apart from the other sport utility "vehicles" on the road. I imagine this change (along with width changes, etc.) is a response to the middle-of-the-road two star rating the 3rd Gen received last year in the NHTSA roll-over ratings. [1 was worst for just a few American SUVs; 3 was best for a couple of other SUVs; the rest, including 4Runner, all received 2s.] This lower stance for the SR5s and Sport Editions are a huge setback for even those who rarely off-road but want to distinguish themselves by purchasing a sport utility truck that stands out from the homogeneous field of sport utility vehicles. I will NOT pay close to $40+K for a Limited with hydraulics that still only gets me within a half inch of where the 3rd gen already stands.

The problem I continue to face is that I have yet to find the confidence I need to go with the 2002 3rd Gen and add Toyota Racing Development's +75 HP supercharger to its V6 to get the horsepower level that "I want" (as you know, I agree with nippononly that the current 183 HP will do the job for the weight, design, purpose, etc. of the 3rd Gen.). From most of the pure off-roaders who post, it seems that all have done much more than add the TRD supercharger to the stock 3rd Gen V6. The modifications recommended by, e.g., level10.com, may truly be beneficial and worthwhile (I doubt they are absolutely "necessary," or TRD could not advertise the supercharger as it does.) Question again: has anyone added a TRD supercharger to the stock engine of the 3rd Gen. (with no further mods)? If so, what has been your experience?

[The bright spot for those who might also be considering this option (i.e., those who wanted the new 2003 to simply be a 3rd Gen. more-or-less but with 240+ HP) is that per 1gr2uz (whose posts have unfortunately been deleted), both the 2003 V6 and V8 will require premium gasoline! (I realize that some of us disagree on this point . . .) If that turns out to be true, that negates the fact that a supercharged 2002 model would also require premium gasoline.]

This is all very painful watching this crumble before my eyes. I pray that there will be good news during the MotorWeek TV review of the 2003 (Channel 607, Speed Channel, on DirectTV; Thursday's at 7 PM and Midnight; Friday's at 7 AM) and hope to god that a miracle happens when I see it in person on the 15th next month. [As for the waterfall shot . . . ever meet the majority of those done-up photo models in person? - yuck! I'm still unconvinced at this point (but will wait and see).]

Anyway, after a 3-year wait for Toyota, I've decided to go check out that H2 soon - bad, beautiful, boxy, rugged sport utility TRUCK - damn, those commercials are killing me! [irrational I know, but I am so upset with Toyota for selling out and not keeping the same "image" for the 4Runner that it has always had!]
  • carlmoorejrcarlmoorejr Member Posts: 23
    For 95% of my driving the horsepower of my 01 SR5 4WD 4RUNNER is just fine. I do not need a TOOL MAN TIM ALLEN hot rod. I like the MPG also. There has only been the occasional time I had to dip all the way into the throttle to pass someone, and at the same time I was thinking man this thing feels gutless today. Believe me this dont happen often. I do not pull anything with this 4RUNNER and most of my driving is in town. Do not do much 4 wheeling either. I have 4wd because every once in a while I need it. I think it will last 20 years {I HOPE}. So I got what I wanted And needed. So in closing I too am happy with the HP I now have.
  • airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    My dealer is sending stuff to me in pieces....

- 235HP @ 4,800RPM
    - Longer Wheel Base
    - Special Sealers and Foamed Pillars resulting in greater noise reduction,
    vibration and -
    harshness......For greater driving comfort
    - Wider Track
    - Cargo Area Backup Mirrors...reduces blind spots
    - Dual Cup Holders...Accomadate larger cups and are illunimated
    - Front portion of console lid can be rotated to form a table
    - Pull out trash bag at rear of console
    - Double Decker Cargo Storage Tray with Net
    - Speed Sensing Moonroof Deflector...adjusts height with vehicle speed to
    reduce wind noise
    - Electronic Temperature Controls
    - Roomier Interior
    - Improved Low-End Torque
    - Downhill Assist Control (DAC)........New...........
    - Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC)......New...........
    - Torsen Center Differential (Worlds First time use on Mid-Size SUV)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    it is clear that his posts have been removed by Edmunds sometime between 9 PM last night and this morning...

It is not clear at all. I have no record of his posts being removed.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    you lucky 3rd gen owners! You got the last 4Runners that were actually capable of doing what an SUV should be able to do!

The more I hear about the new one, the more I realize this is going to be one more luxo soccer-mom-mobile from now on. Such a shame, and what a way to kill a great tradition! Sad.

• rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I agree completely with you. Many years ago I believed the horsepower myth, but I've since changed my mind. I'm holding out for the 6 cylinder and then see the difference in price and gas mileage. The amount of torque stated for the V-6 is almost that of the current V-8 in the Tundra.

If it tows my boat over the mountains at a decent pace, that's good enough for me. But then, I don't see the need for -
    seat warmers, cup holders, roof rack, trash bag, cargo backup mirrors, cargo net, moon/sun roof, outside temperature, compass, console lid that turns into a table, and a host of other needless accessories that just add to the cost of the vehicle.... but that's just my $.02, and my preference.
  • gachargachar Member Posts: 8
    I am planning to sell my 1996 4Runner SR5 4WD in Atlanta. The TMV price on Edmunds is $12,871. The price on KBB is 10,795. How should I price it? Also any suggestions on whether to put an ad in the newspaper or list it on one of the websites like autotrader.com. Also it is a 5speed. Would this affect the value?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is that a 5 speed manual? Knowing the traffic around Atlanta, I don't know if I'd want to commute with a manual tranny.

Try the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion too; some great advice in there.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

thanks for all the info...guess I'm late cause I've been concentrating on the MDX...Anyways, there is no GX470 on Lexus.com..only the LX470.
    Oh, but there is! You have to wait a moment for the ad in the lower right corner to change from the "Minority Report/Lexus" thing to the picture of the GX, then click on it and it takes you to the GX 470 preview area. I have a cable modem, so it's pretty fast on my Mac, but you may have to wait longer with a slower modem.

Here's a direct link:

http://www.Lexus.com/showroom/model/gx_preview.html

I'm not going to judge yet, but I'm starting to think I need to forget about my dreams of the new 4Runner fulfilling my every want and need, and start saving up for an H2. Or, maybe I'll wait and see what the H3, based on the GMT 355 platform, will bring when it debuts at the auto show next year.

We'll see what MotorWeek has to say, but it's not looking good...
    I stopped by the dealer today to pickup the '03 tacoma brochure and to find out if they had any more info on the '03 runner. As I started walking away, the salesman said :

"Hold on, what if I can make you a great deal on a '03 4Runner right now if I find one one the lot!"

I told him it would be a miracle from god if he happened to have one a month before they are due to arrive. Then he said how did I know that he didn't have one. What a NIMROD! And arrogant too. I asked him if they even brief them on this stuff. He then asked me if I was interested in an '02 model.

Just goes to show you have to know what you're selling. This guy didn't have a clue.

-just thought I would share
    I saw the GX 470...thanks...gives me a better look of what the new Runner may look like. Do you or anyone know how much roughly would the GX 470 cost?
    you know when the GX 470 will be available?
    it is all posted above, just look thru the last 100 posts or so.

rward99: yes, I think it was a really bad sign that they are heavily promoting the great new cupholders in the new Runner, as well as the available heated seats...and the current Runner is already strong enough at 200-odd lb-ft to do the towing and offroad tasks it is designed for, so the new V-6 at 283 lb-ft will be more than enough...the only reason to go for the V-8 would be the 5-spd auto vs the 4-spd.

You really should skim the last 10 pages of posts or so, and you'll have all of your questions answered and more.

But, here's the answers to your latest inquiry. The GX is positioned between the RX and LX, so price will be in the 40K to 48K range. It's due to hit dealerships by the middle or end of November. I think they list a date on the Lexus site, but maybe they just mention November.
    The more pictures I see of the Prado, the more I wish Toyota would have offered this design here in the States to fill the niche the new 'Runner has been modified to fit, and just re-designed the 4Runner in the same spirit as the current model. What a cool-looking truck! Slap some bigger BFG A-Ts on, and...

Here are some new pics of the Prado/LC90:

http://www.toyota.is/template4.asp?PageID=546

• airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    - No Brochures yet
    - GPS, 7" Touch Screen optional on all models
    - no mileage info as yet
    - no clearance info
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I couldn't stand the anticipation of not liking the 4gen Runner and the higher price tag it might carry. The ol mighty dollar swayed me. My brother in-law, who works at a dodge dealership, made me an offer on a 4.7 '02 quadcab Dakota Sport that I couldn't refuse. Fully loaded at employee discount and 0.0% interest. I'm still going to follow the discussion since a 4runner still could be in the future.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I agree. It seems like the new GX470 is just a LC Prado with a different nose, and minus the V8. It looks like the new 4Runner, from what I've seen to date, may be just a bit more different.

Interesting that the profile shot shows it with the spare tire on the rear door, while the rear shot clearly indicates no rear door-mounted spare. I guess it will be offered both ways.

Bob
  • ringneckpheasringneckpheas Member Posts: 5
    I bought a '99 4Runner a few months back and it has the factory stereo system in it, but it lacks a Toyota CD player. Was wondering if anyone out there knows where I might be able to find one of these (other than a dealer) for a decent price. I realize the quality of these players is not the greatest and I could probably do better with an aftermarket deck, but I don't want the theft worries that come along with a 3rd party system. Any idea/suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if someone is willing to sell one that they have removed from their 4Runner, I would like to hear from you as well.
    Thanks.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I have the factory in-dash 6 disc player in my 99 (Have to have the premium all in one system) and it works great...I would shop from dealer to dealer and on the internet?
    I have an '02 4Runner Ltd. 4wd and it came with the 6-disc in-dash player. It is great. I love the bass-mid-treble adjustments! The sound is impressive for a stock unit with only 6 speakers. I used to be an aftermarket freak in car audio. I must say that this headunit is BY FAR the most ergonomic...everything needed is close by. Great headunit. You can always add an external amplifier if you want more power.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I guess Toyota will be a big part of the Push, Nevada TV show? Toyota.com has a link to "Toyota of Push, Nevada." When does this show start? On the "About us" page, it mentions 3 3003 4Runners used by the Push High School...does this mean we'll see these on TV before we see them in person?
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    The show begins tonight. There was a preview arlier this week and I didn't see any Toyota in the show. There were numerous Toyota commercials promotting 02 Camrys......
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    will be driving a 2004 4Runner. If you notice in the show the majority of the vehicles in the town sill be new Toyotas.
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    Hmmm, I'would't mind having one of those too. ;-()
    Why do you keep on mentionning 2004 4Runner. Is it a 2003 he drives or not ?
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I have been discussing the 2004 Tundra Double Cab, redesigned 2004 Sienna and Prius with some people and have 2004 on the mind.

Thanks for correcting me.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    WOW! This suv is beautiful, very similar to the Lexus GX470. Cant wait to drive it.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    Do the 6 disc CD changers in the 2002 Runners play CD-RW discs and not just only CD-R's?
    Beautiful ???? Ok we are all entitled to our opinion.... but I do not agree with you at all.

The silver Limited is specially ugly.

I think they screwed up big time.

I'm sure that the new design will settle one day and we will get accustomed to it. But in the meantime I thinks it is ugly, it lost its key differentiators that made it a Runner and it is only fading in the crowd now.

I guess this design will please some and turn off others. I'm in the latter crowd
  • sean48sean48 Member Posts: 37
    Just caught a glimpse of the Sheriff's ride in the "Push, Nevada" series. Don't get too excited (depending on your point of view)...he's still driving a 2002 4Runner. This is as of 9:20 EDT tonight. Maybe it'll morph into the 2003 after the station break!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    It's not a bad show. I'm watching now. I don't see too many Toyotas in it.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Only sells 2002 4Runners. Click on my link to go to "Toyota of Push*"

http://www.toyotaofpush.com/index.asp

*Legal Disclaimer

Toyota of Push developed for the promotion of Push, Nevada does not exist. :)

• peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    "Toyota of Push will be a major booster of the Push High School Fighting Roadrunners. For starters, three 2003 Toyota 4Runners will be decorated with special Fighting Roadrunners decals (we like to think of them as "Fighting 4Runners"), and will be raffled off at the Pioneer Carnival."

That was taken directly from the Toyota of Push Web Site. What a nice dealership.
    I'm fed up, I'm about to give up and buy a PathFinder LE (which is less expensive anyway)

Toyota embargo is just off of complete ridicule. Why so much secrecy, false alarms, misleading information (Push Nevada and its 2002 4Runner), etc etc.

Gee its a just car after all. No big deal. Show us the merchandise and we will buy it or not. The world will continue to turn.

I'm in the buying process right now and I'm chasing a ghost right now, a ghost that might end up being very ugly anyway.

They advertise the GX-470 but the hide the 4Runner.

I think it is a conspiracy just to create hype and momentum and ensure that the lots are empty the first few weeks to justify high interest fees, a couple of $K of MSRP. Just like Honda is doing with its Pilot.

If the 2003 4Runner turns out to be a dog I will boycott Toyota for a long long time I can tell you.
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    World traveler, I couldn't agree with you more. Enough is enough already. I too feel like my time and effort is being wasted( been following this 2003 4runner rumor since April). Doesn't Toyota care that we have a lot of other choices? When people are even considering spending thirty to forty thousand dollars for a vehicle, the manufacturer should be pouring information out. I'm almost to the point that I hope I don't like the new 4Runner so I can spend my money elsewhere.
    Thanks for the link world traveler. Great pictures. The Limited looks quite nice. Seats look very cush and comfy. The dual zone temp is a nice touch. That crappy plastic on the other model still looks weird.