Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like fun.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I teach everyone's favorite subject - math! :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Well, Tidester, if you are a math teacher, then you must know why 6 is afraid of 7?
  • Options
    Obviously, because 7 ate 9!

tidester, host
  • Options
  • Options
    mrnaturalmrnatural Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the reply.
    My understanding is that when the clutch is locked up the engine and the main shaft in the trans are locked as one. Then if you accelerate the clutch will come unlocked. This is with the lock switch enabled. In a steep decent there will be a low engine speed and high vacuum (small throttle opening), just like you said. I'm sure you have a valid point that failure is a good possibility I was just hoping for some first hand experience ("My fill in blank exploded with the TC clutch locked up...) I understand the lock up is designed to only work in high gear (like I said originally-opposite of a descent)
    Sadly cars and other consumer products are made for the average and even the doltish operators so they last longer in the hands of the "average Joe". To my mind that doesn't mean that useful improvements can't be worthwhile. I sure the first Jeep engineer that saw a sway bar disconnect on a TJ probably had a stroke.
    Anyway I'll probably do a disk brake conversion on the rear and continue to stand on the break pedal on those hairy descents. Thanks again.
  • Options
    woodyvwoodyv Member Posts: 3
    Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. The top is not hanging out but rather laying inside the front of the tailgate. But, with the rear seat folded forward it is just a kind of in a heap. Didn't see the built-in straps, I'll look again. I do have the Clover Patch window roll and it is okay laying on the folded top.
    Packaged with the Jeep were a couple of packages of nylon straps. I think 4 in 1 bag, some with velcro and buckles, and a couple more in another bag. I could not find any reference to them in the owners manual. Any idea what these are for? I used a couple to tie the rear sholder belts to the roll bar to stop them flapping in the wind.

Woody,
    still searching for the perfect fold.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The straps with loops at both ends are to secure the back seat to the roll bar when it is tumbled forward. The back seat would really flop around in the Sport when it was tumbled forward, so I used them all the time before I removed the seat completely several years ago. I don't find the Unlimited's seat doing the same thing at all, so I'll just use one of the straps. These straps are mentioned in my owners manual.

The Unlimited also comes with a strap with a hook at one end for securing the top when the Sunrider option is open. It's also mentioned in the owners manual.

The other 2 straps that came with the Unlimited appear to be the ones for securing the top when it is folded down. They seem to be too short for me, so I took the same straps from the Sport (which has a hard top only) and made longer straps for the top. That worked much better.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    are meant to go around the bars along the sides of the rear tub when folded down. You secure them and the rest of the top won't go anywhere. It also keeps you from squeezing the fabric on the top and getting it into a bind.

-Paul
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Anyway I'll probably do a disk brake conversion on the rear and continue to stand on the break pedal on those hairy descents.

Won't help you any on forward descents I'm afraid, as 99% of the braking load is on the front brakes. The standard drum brakes actually work very well, and rear discs on a Wrangler are of little benefit except when braking in reverse, i.e on a rearward descent.

However, there's lots of other stuff to spend your Jeep money on! :shades:
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I'll be finally changing out the front brake pads on my '98 TJ sometime soon. Any recommendations? Semi-metallic, metallic, what? Try to keep the pads under $50. I'll probably just get a set over at Advance Auto Parts or something.
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    In my package there were two looping straps with snaps that affix to the top of the rear window area, for when the rear window is rolled up for ventilation (still don't know for sure if you're supposed to remove the cross bar or not). I'm pretty sure one strap is for secruing the window to the hood, in those rare instances when you fold the window down.

-Mike
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    My opinion on brake pads:

Go to Advance and buy the OE replacement. These will likely "not" have a lifetime warranty. If you buy the lifetime warranty pads, you will soon be replacing rotors.

Use it for what it's worth.
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I think I understand your question better now. With the rear seat and my add-a-trunk, there's a naturally created cradle for the top to sit in. But without the trunk, and if the seat is removed/rolled forward, then I don't know how the top would sit back there. It might just flop around as you inidcated. Curious.

-Mike
  • Options
    ravagerravager Member Posts: 20
    Hey all! Gratz to all the new jeepers out there, my Unlimited just went over 3200 miles.

Quickie question... After a 4 day trip I started up my jeep and the brakes squealed the first 3 times I used them. I haven't heard a peep since. Should I be worried?

Also, tomorrow I'm putting in a sound system. I am installing for a low key but nice system that can run satellite radio internally and hook up to the ipod. I'm also changing out all the speakers except for the subwoofer. I'll send pics to show off the install in case any of you are thinking of upgrading the sound in your jeeps.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Over the past couple of days I have had the red "BRAKE" light illuminate on my 1999 Sahara. The brakes seem to be working fine. I discovered that if I disconnect and reconnect the pressure sensor on the master cylinder-or even simply wiggle the wires connected to it-the light goes out for a while, Bad plug? Harness? Dirty connection? Here's a photo of the sensor I'm referring to:
    Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • Options
    After a 4 day trip I started up my jeep and the brakes squealed the first 3 times I used them. I haven't heard a peep since. Should I be worried?

No, perfectly normal. It's just flash rust on the discs. You probably felt them grab on the first application as well.
  • Options
    Bad plug? Harness? Dirty connection?

Any one, or all three. Could also be a failing sensor.

Start with the easy stuff and clean the plug and socket, then dry it, then use dielectric grease on the terminals when you reconnect it.

If it's still flaky unplug it, then short the ends of the harness plug with a paper clip or similar, then wiggle the wires again. If the light flickers the wires going into the plug are bad, and it it doesn't it's likely to be the sensor.
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about going to the Jeep Jamboree in Western PA the first week of August. My question is what should be my "must haves" for this trip.
    This would be my first off-road trip and this is my Daily Driver, so I don't plan on getting too crazy.

Here's what I have already:
    1. Really cool looking Jeep :shades:
    2. 31" BFG AT's
    3. Gas Tank Skid (factory)
    4. Transmission Skid (factory)
    5. Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio
    6. Front Tow Hooks

Here's what I'm thinking I might need:
    1. Rocker panel guards
    2. Oil pan skid
    3. Tow Straps

If you can think of anything else, i would appreciate it. If you think any of the above is unnecessary, let me know. Saving cash is one of my favorite things. ;)
    Time is another consideration. The Jamboree is only 2 weeks away.

-Dan
  • Options
    1. Rocker panel guards
    2. Oil pan skid
    3. Tow Straps

None are a bad choice, but I've rearranged the list in order of priority if that helps.

1: Tow straps
    2: Rocker panel guards.
    3: Oil pan skid.

You could also add a First Aid kit and bottled drinking water. Both are good for all occasions.
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    http://www.trjc.com/Guidelines/Checklist_Vehicle_Equipment.doc

here's a list that our jeep club looks for on vehicle inspections in vehicles prior to events.

jeff
  • Options
    Thanks! I cleaned the plug and socket with contact cleaner and reconnected it; I forgot the dielectric grease-I'll do that tomorrow. I assume that you have to bleed the hydraulics after replacing the sensor, correct?
  • Options
    facebugfacebug Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Wrangler. Does anyone know where the factory harness plug is in the front for the driving lights? I have a factory plug and switch inside BUT cannot locate outside wire or plug to install lights.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Dan:

You have a real good start on the "necessities." Having that CB and tow hooks means you have the essentials covered, except that you didn't mention a rear tow hook. You really need a rear tow point, because it may be necessary for someone to pull you out of a "stuck" from the rear.

As Mac said, a tow strap should probably be next on your list, after a rear tow hook. You really are not supposed to depend on someone else having a tow strap, although it is usually almost a given that someone in the group would have one. Proper etiquette is that it is YOUR tow strap that gets muddy when you need to be pulled out, not someone else's.

Your factory gas tank skid is a joke, if you mean the original skid that came on the Jeep. I would not say it is necessary to replace it for just your first trip off road. At some point it would make sense, if you get hooked on wheelin', which is about 99% sure to happen if you go that first time.

BE WARNED! Wheelin' is addictive, and it usually only takes going once for the addiction to take hold of you. :)

I agree with Mac that rocker guards would come next. When you are going over big rocks or over logs, those rocker panels are often banged hard. Sometimes a good portion of the weight of the Jeep itself rests on the rocker panels. No way they can take that without damage, unless you have good rocker guards. I have Sun Performance rocker guards, and they are so strong that you can actually use a hi lift jack on them and raise one side of the Jeep off the ground. There are other brands that are just as good, and I'm not promoting Sun Performance over other brands. They have served me very well is all.

There is a world of stuff that will come later, but for this first trip, I think you would be fine by getting a rear took hook, a tow strap, and rocker guards.

If for some reason the rocker guards have not been installed, I would still go to the Jambo, if I were you. They usually take it pretty easy on newbies, so you most likely would not take damage.

Be sure and get a tow strap that has loops on the ends, NOT metal hooks. You'll want at least about 20,000 lbs capacity on the strap. You need that capacity, even though the Jeep only weighs about 3500 lbs. The strap has to handle "shock loads." Sometimes it is necessary to "jerk" a Jeep out of the mud. A steady pull often will just not get the job done.

I haved talked about mud in this post, and mud sometimes cannot be avoided, but I stay out of it if I have a choice. It takes its toll in the long run on the Jeep. Muddy water can get into lots of places where you don't want it to be.

Just get ready to have the most fun you've ever had with your clothes on!

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

I want to hear all about this trip when you get back.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S.

Check out my little website, Dan. I have a section for newbie off roaders.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/
  • Options
    I assume that you have to bleed the hydraulics after replacing the sensor, correct?

Yes, that's right, but hopefully it will just have been a dirty connector. If you do have to bleed the brakes it's not difficult.
  • Options
    Thanks again. You help on this board is truly appreciated!
  • Options
    durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    My set of Bilstein shocks arrived yesterday from 4WD Hardware. Took about 3 hours with manual tools and having to remove the tires for easy access.
    Took the 04 "X" out early this morning and took my usual rough asphalt drive that I take daily toward the freeway, first thing I notice was that it took me a while to discover that I already was on the rough section. This Bilstein shocks really work great. On smooth roads, no noticeable difference. On moderate rough asphalt, is where it is amazing, I have not tried it out yet on dirt roads, but I think it woud be just as good. Compared to a stock Wrangler shocks, this improves the Wrangler so much, I wonder why Jeep did not make this standard equipment like Chevy does on its Z71 4WDs. As for handling, major improvements, as for the rocking back and forth or head toss, major reduction again, almost eliminated in some situations. Amazing value even if it cost double the Regular shocks.
  • Options
    Glad to help! :blush:

However, I think sometimes it's just that I get to the question before someone else does. ;)
  • Options
    I agree, Bilsteins make about the best shocks for any application. Best of all, they are extremely well constructed. Nothing else comes close, in my not-so-humble opinion.
  • Options
    durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I agree too, however the present Wrangler TJ are much improved over what was available in the early 90's , once had an 87 Toyota 4runner, which I upgraded to Bilsteins back in 1995, the improvement was shall we say 50% better. The Wrangler "X" I have now I think improved itself by 25% with the Bilsteins, so the standard equipment isn't too bad either. The best result is on those badly maintained asphalt roads with uneven surfaces , numerous small pot holes and the occasional big pothole.
  • Options
    Thanks to all that replied.
    Great advice as always. To any other off-road newbies like me, check out Tom's web page newbie section. Very good read.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

It's official...I signed up for the Paragon Jamboree in Hazelton, PA. I can't wait!!!

As for the rear tow hook, what do you guys think of the kind that attach to the tow hitch? The guy that owned my Jeep before put on a tow package.

-Dan
  • Options
    herberjeherberje Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to locate a rear seat for a 2004 Wrangler SE. The Mopar rep I talked to gave me an outrageous price, and JC Whitney and others do not have them. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • Options
    i use my rear hitch as a tow point, but I don't have one of those ( somewhat expensivie) hooks. I just slip the loop end of the tow strap in the receiver and slide a hitch pin through the loop .

the hitch pin is plenty strong enough, it would be what you used to hold the hook in the receiver anyway.

jeff
  • Options
    I would think that most salvage yards would have a few newer wranglers in their lot. Its worth checking, I'm sure they would be cheaper than buying new.

jeff
  • Options
    you might also want a tire guage.

jeff
  • Options
    ......and while I think of it, a fire extinguisher.
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Tidester, I've spend my summer taking math classes I should have taken as an undergraduate. I've got another month to go on Calculus. Thank God for the TI 83 Plus!
  • Options
    yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    Better late than never. Finally got around to getting a build sheet for my '95 YJ (yes, 10 years is quite a wait, but they found it and sent it to me.) Thanks, Tom, for the advice. No surprises (not too many options on an SE model) but fun to have anyway.
  • Options
    clnchfieldpaulclnchfieldpaul Member Posts: 7
    When shifting gears on my 04 TJ I have noticed that the RPM's will stay where I shift at for 2-3 seconds before idling down. In fact I get it in the next gear and it still doesn't idle down. I took it to the dealer and they didn't notice anything wrong with it. It doesn't happen all the time. Has any one else had this problem.
    Thanks Paul :confuse:
  • Options
    Thank God for the TI 83 Plus!

That sure beats the heck out of an HP-35! :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Hi Gang - I'm still here...Need to get myself into the Meet the Members forum soon. Still having a blast with my Wrangler Unlimited. Drove it through some really nasty severe thunderstorms here in SE Michigan the past couple weeks. I've always had a small commuting car so it was unusual for me to find myself easily plowing through heavy rain and very wet roads as others sat on the sides of the roads to await a break in the rains. I told my wife how confident my Wrangler felt when I got home on those nights and that it really is comforting to know I can get through the bad weather with those big tires, higher ground clearance, and sturdy Jeep construction. She was envious and we decided on one of those nights that her time had come to get her own Jeep...but not a Wrangler. Let me explain...

My wife has liked driving my Wrangler so much that I'm glad she's getting her own Jeep tomorrow evening...no, not a Wrangler but a Liberty Renegade 4x4 Rocky Mountain Edition. We deliberated about his one but decided having one Wrangler was enough and having a Liberty with a sunroof will satisfy my wife's desire for open-to-the-sky driving without some of the work dealing with softtop for everyday use...It's OK for me but she says she thinks her hands just can't take the work of dealing with the Wrangler zippers on the rear window each time she grocery shops. I suggested the Liberty and Grand Cherokee. She drove both and fell in love with the Liberty. She really likes how it feels like the Wrangler in the sense of feeling very easy to drive and gives her a nice upright driving position. She thinks it'll meet just what she's looking for in terms of feeling like a 4x4 vehicle but also still having a few extra "creature comforts". She thinks her Liberty will nicely compliment our Wrangler in our family.

I realize this is a Wrangler forum but just in case any one is interested with the employee pricing deals going on currently, I've included pricing on the Liberty below if any one is looking to add to their Wrangler family by bringing home a Liberty for their better half..."OK, now can I drive my Wrangler again sweetie?" :D

I pick up a 2005 Liberty 4x4 Renegade Rocky Mountain Edition tomorrow evening. Employee price I got was 4.5% under invoice before counting the rebate and military discount. Throw those discounts in and it comes to 14.3% under invoice! Pricing below:

Liberty Renegade 4x4 = $22,144
    Trailer Tow Group = $329
    4-Speed Auto = $743
    Selec-Trac = $356
    Trac-Lok = $257
    SIRIUS Radio = $176
    Loyalty Mailing = $25
    5 gallons gas = $8
    Customer Preferred Package 28Y = $392
    Detroit Outstate DAA = $205
    Detroit Outer PPA/EB-PF = $210
    Destination = $660

Total Invoice = $25,505

Employee Price Before Rebates = $24,355

Price After Rebates and Military Discount = $21,855

Total Delivered Priced (incl. 6% MI Sales Tax on $24,355 and $23 title transfer)
    = $25,839.30

Total Delivered Price After Rebates and Military Discount = $23,339.30
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I agree, a fire extinguisher is an essential, esp if you offroad in a dry area, like California. Camp Jeep CA didn't require one, but I always carry it. You never know when you'll need it.

Also, the factory gas skid should be fine for a jamboree, but you'll want to replace it if you continue offroading. I had the factory skid on mine while wheeling with Tom (first time with my Jeep). I peeled it back a good portion as I came off some ledge on a trail.

I now run a Kilby skid and do not even think about my gas tank now. Serious peace of mind.

Rocker guards are nice, but as long as I've had my jeep and some of the interesting stuff I've gone on, they've never rubbed. Maybe I'm picking good lines. Maybe I'm not running hard enough trails. I'd get an engine/oilpan skid before the rockers.

Front and rear tow hooks are good, tow strap... all been covered. Food/water and first aid are good as well.

You may want to bring some tools with you - wrenches, screwdrivers, socket set, Torx bits, etc. In the unlikely event you break something, you'll have (most) of the tools to complete the job. If you're not mechanically inclined, at least you made an effort and somebody can help you. Your tools may even help somebody else who DOES break down.

-Paul
  • Options
    myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    I have a facory rear tow hook and mounting hardware if your interested, $20.00 and this includes shipping. This is off on 05 Sport and had it on for only 2 weeks before I replaced rear bumper and this was taken off.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I drove a Liberty at Camp Jeep on their off-road trail and I really liked it. We ended up getting an Unlimited, but only because I'm so short and I have to ride as a passenger so much. The floor on the passenger side was slanted right where my feet would be most of the time, and I know that would bother me for long hauls. Otherwise, I really liked it.

The bar and the zippers on the back window are a pain if you need access to the back all the time. That's the main thing I don't like about the soft top, and the reason I wish I had a garage, so I could have a place to store the hard top. I think next time we buy a Wrangler we'll get a hard top.
  • Options
    blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    I was wondering what everyone thought would be better Bilsteins or ranchos with the dual action remote the rs9000x
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Keats. O.W. voice. "The mind of a thoroughly well-informed man is a dreadful thing. Its like a bric-a-brack shop, all monsters and dust, with everything priced above its proper value. KB2
  • Options
    eltipoeltipo Member Posts: 21
    Jeepers,

I finally took the hard top off of my '05 Unlimited yesterday :shades: (bought it in late March). It only took one buddy and myself to handle the top. It was a lot lighter and less clumsy than I had expected. Thought we'd take a drive to the Northwest Florida beaches, but only got to experience further the devastation of the recent hurricane (You'd think summer was perfect jeepin' weather in Florida, but you never know how a storm is going to affect you). We had a blast anyhow and got nice toasty sunburns. Unfortunately it was back to work today and the top went back on last night :cry: Just wanted to let you all know that I really appreciate the forum and everyone's insight into the jeepin' experience. I am a new jeep owner and having a blast; I especially like the waves I catch on the road here in Tallahassee (Go Seminoles!!!).

Keep jeepin'
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Glad your having fun. Have ya thought about getting a soft top, bikini top, safari top? Bestops has a nice safari top combo thats not to pricey and you could stay topless with a nice shade to help keep ya from gettn burned.....
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Paul . Do you let it warm up for a few minutes before driving? John
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff and Mac. I'll try the hitch thing.

I was thinking of getting an extinguisher anyway. just to have in the jeep

-Dan