Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Thanks for the kind words about my quitting smoking.

Terry, you were a real big help when I was struggling so bad early on. You told me to call you if I ever needed to talk, and I did. That call helped me a lot.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    You do know that I owned both the BFG AT's and the BFG Muds??? I traded in the AT's for the Muds when I had only 6K miles on the AT's.

The AT's are a fine tire, and they have a reputation for giving LOTS of highway miles, assuming they are rotated and kept balanced. They just were not aggressive enough for the type of wheelin' I do.

The BFG Muds are a great offroad tire, and they are not bad at all on the street. They will not have the tread life that the ATs will have.

I didn't wear out the tread on my BFG Muds, but I did ruin the sidewalls. If I could have found a couple used BFG Muds in the 31 x 10.50 size, I would not have bought a whole new set this year.

I had good tread life left after 29K miles. If I had not sliced the sidewall on one tire and put such a deep gouge in another one that I didn't trust it, I would have run that set of tires quite a bit longer.

The front locker is a GREAT mod! I love it, Trey! It doesn't mess up my manueverability on the trails at all. I think I would have been in a situation by now that would tell me if I had given up much manueverability. I highly recommend the LockRight up front.

Tom

I told you that the LockRight didn't mess anything up, but I didn't tell you what it DOES DO: it makes a WORLD of difference in your traction! You will be very happy with what it does for you on the trails.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Hey, Tom - Congrats on the 6 month milestone - as long as you don't lose your head and think you can try just one, you'll be fine. It is certainly easier after 6 months (at least it was for me).

My other half has new car fever, so we are thinking more seriously about the Unlimited. I wonder how many miles I can put on the Taco before it dies forever?
  • aparentaparent Posts: 5
    Andrew, thanks for the info. I also heard it was so the gearing would not turn too fast. Oh well.

thanks,
    Al
    Hello everyone, I was reading alot about increased power with say a K&N intake system and a cat back. I was reading some posts here that say it does nothing. How do I get some power out of this thing. By the way I have an 03 Rubicon and I love it. I want to start building on it and more power was my first objective. I am going to the camp jeep in CA in august and am looking forward to it.

Thanks,
    Al
    See if you can find a Jeep with the same equipment as yours that you can drive, and see how much power it has. Maybe there is something wrong with your particular Jeep. I can't believe that you would be so dissatisfied with your power, unless there was really something wrong with your Jeep.

Jeeps are certainly not hot rods, but they have adequate power for their intended use, when you get the 4.0 L engine.

You might consider regearing instead of messing with the engine. That would boost your acceleration, but it could limit your top end speed, of course.

Tom

Hey, are you in fifth gear when you say you bog down? I'm assuming you have a five speed. Try downshifting to fourth gear and see how your power is then. If you have an auto, lock out OD and see how the power is then.

That overdrive (fifth gear with the five speed and fourth gear with the auto) is for level ground cruising, not for accelerating or climbing hills.

Tom

• drosketerdrosketer Posts: 203
    The Rocky Mountain House up here in Alberta. I have heard a lot about the experience and can't wait... still have another month to go. The CB is a requirement here, and it's mostly in. Just need to run the wire to the battery and get one of the connectors redone on the cable. Figure that next year I will likely head to the Apex on in BC... more rocky terrain apparently - should be good for the Rubi!

Andrew
    Al, not sure why you need more power, or if this is in relation to older Jeeps. I do know that there have been a number of discussions out there that Rubis tend to feel underpowered (actually any of '03+ models). A friend of mine owns a '99 Sport (with Dana44 and 30" tires) and I can attest that it feels far peppier than my Buffy... I think that the consensus has been that the Rubi, apart from being a few hundred pounds heavier in stock form, also has more stringent environmental considerations to contend with - there are two precats on there... Regardless, I find that the power is more than sufficient for intended use. It's not a performance vehicle, well, unless by performance you mean offroad prowess! ;-)

As for "cures" - a number have been mentioned: installing a cat back, reprogramming the ecu (just keep in mind that this will void your warranty), adding throttle body spacers, cold-air intakes. Not sure how much of it I believe, but then I am okay with what I have...

Andrew
    That's a huge milestone. Congrats, and keep your guard up!

Andrew
    It's almost the weekend and I hope that everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July weekend.
  • tjmuddertjmudder Posts: 9
    I'm strongly considering a powertrax no-slip locker for the rear axle of my 02 TJ. The reviews I've read claim they are much quieter and less noticeable than lock-right's or Detroit's, and ARB's are just too expensive. Has anyone had any experience with these?

My Jeep is my daily driver, but I also do some pretty serious trail riding. I understand how lockers effect road driving in turns, etc., but how tough are they to get used to in icy/snowy Wisconsin type winters? Any info on road drivability would be much appreciated.

Glen

Glen
    Since I live in KY, I get very little opportunity to play in snow. I do get on muddy hillsides, though, and I can tell you that a locker sure makes things "interesting." When BOTH wheels spin, as they will with a locker, there is nothing to anchor the Jeep, and it will go to the downhill side.

There is such a thing as lateral traction, and with an open diff, the tire that is NOT spinning serves as lateral traction, keeping the back end (front end, if front is locked too) from slipping sideways.

I would be very, very careful driving a Jeep with a full time locker on snow covered or icy roads. Not saying it can't be done, just saying that extra caution would be needed, especially in cornering. That back end will break loose much easier when locked.

I have a Detroit Soft Locker in the back of Thelma Jane, and I can tell you that it is really smooth. The highway manners are not bad at all, and with just a little bit of adjustment in driving style (mainly, staying off the gas a little longer coming out of a corner), you hardly know it's back there.

Tom

Thanks everyone for the input. Your all right I shouldn't need more power. When I am on road I have alot of freeway driving and the exceleration is a bit timid. I have given it alot of thought and I really don't need more power. Everytime I talk about building up my rubicon everyone say K&N etc. You are all real jeepers and make alot of sense. Thank alot.

Happy 4th
    Al
    Are you gonna offroad that Rubi? You have an awesome offroad machine there.

I'm not one of those people who think anyone that has a Jeep and doesn't offroad it is a "poser." I had my Jeep for fourteen months before going offroad for the first time. I thought that my Jeep was the most fun vehicle I had ever owne BY FAR, even before going offroad.

I was just curious if you are gonna offroad it or not. Where do you live, Al? If it isn't too awful far for you to drive, you could come to Turkey Bay and wheel with me sometime.

Tom

I think Al said something about going to Camp Jeep in August, so I would think he is more in my direction than yours.

If you are somewhere around SoCal and want to try out a bit of easy wheeling risk-free (I know what it is like to have a brand new vehicle and wanting to play a bit but don't want to ding it just yet) then there are many wonderful national forest dirt roads where you can get a taste of off-roading but not have to worry about getting in over your head. Of course, there are the ones that you don't try alone, too. And you get to visit some awesome scenery along the way - what more can you ask for? There are lots of guide books on both SoCal and NorCal that will tell you the difference.
  • eaglemamaeaglemama Posts: 1
    We hav a 2003, Jeep Wrangler and want to take the full doors off. The question is how do you keep the light from staying on, on the speaker bar?
    Thanks,
    Eaglemama
    Behind the glove box is a fuse panel. Pull the #4 fuse, which is the bottom fuse in the right hand column of fuses.

Be prepared for quite a bit of weight when you lift those doors off! They weigh MUCH more than you would think. Those exposed threads will do a real job on your paint, if you let them come in contact.

You need a 13 MM wrench for the door hinge nuts. I recommend boxed end, so there's less chance of the wrench slipping and scratching the paint.

Tom

Don't forget the simple little step of sliding the door strap off of the post before you begin lifting the door. It could cause the door to hang up as you remove it and allow the threads on the hinges to hit the paint.

It's such a simple step, it can easily be overlooked.

Tom

• gretagreta Posts: 23
    Greetings everyone! I just learned that if you hold down the Odometer/Tripometer button while turning the Ignition Key just to the Run Position (Not fully to Start,) you get some sort of "Dash Board Computer, Diagnostic "Self Check." Mine starts by writing out in the Odometer box something like "S of 4.0," then "No Faults," then begins to activate all the gauges on the dash, one at a time, 'till it seems to complete it's self test. Is there a 2004 CODE List for all the potential problems that the computer could write out, if it senses that something is actually wrong? It's interesting that it doesn't seem to care that I still have a slight "Pinging Sound" when using the Lower 87 Octane fuel, which really bothers me, even though I know I'm operating this '04, 5 speed Sahara very well, through the various gear shifts. Thanks for any insight you guys might have. Greta
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Well my doors are finally off! To keep the paint from getting messed up on the nut or the paint, I put some box tape around the nut and used a crescent wrench. As soon as the nut was loose, I used my hand to loosen and remove them. No paint problems.

Sure is fun with the doors off! :) Plus it is easier to see what your tires are running over when offroading (to make sure you are getting the right line).

-Paul
    Definitely cool running with the doors off. Not sure what kind of terrain you're in Paul, but if it's in a treed area, take care not to get whacked by branches that might get snagged on the body somewhere -- seen that happen, helps if you're wearing glasses! Or, as I found out in the case of mud, that it doesn't cover the inside of your ride as well as the outside... :-p

Andrew
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    so most of what I have around is urban jungle or desert trails. Just gotta watch out for the brush that is SO dry...

There are some tree lined areas, but they are far enough apart.

I found out about the trees with a vengeance at Turkey Bay with Tom. I got popped a couple of times, but fortunately, nothing serious.

-Paul
    What are they? I'm so tired of brown and dusty sage brush that I think mud and green trees are a figment of someone's imagination. I sure would like a snowstorm about now - or even some rain. The weather hasn't been all that hot in SoCal, but it sure is dry, and that's going to make for a long summer. Hope the fire hazard doesn't close the national forests for off-roading - that's been done more than once recently.
  • gretagreta Posts: 23
    Greetings; I 'm just wondering; as I had the Oil changed in the Wrangler yesterday, "How much does it matter if the Oil line shows that it is filled about 3/4" over the top mark of the Dip Stick? The Manual says it can cause Engine Damage? Thanks, Greta
    If I remember correctly, you have the 4.0 L engine. It takes six quarts of oil to fill the crankcase when the oil filter is also changed. (I can't imagine why anyone would change the oil and not change the filter at the same time.)

I just had my oil changed, and I brought my own oil and filter with me. I had a five quart container of Mobil 1 and a one quart bottle. I personally stood there and watched the oil being changed (That's the ONLY way I will let someone else change my oil... if they let me watch.).

So, I know for a fact that the proper amount of oil was added, six quarts.

I just went out and checked the dipstick, and it shows the oil level to be about 3/8" above the "safe" mark. My dipstick has a mark for "add one quart" and another one that says "safe."

There will be variation in where the oil level will show on the stick from vehicle to vehicle, and there will even be some variation on the same vehicle with different oil filters. Different types of oil filters will vary by a little bit in the amount of oil they hold.

Tom

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I just changed my oil and filter last weekend and found it to hold a little over 5.5 quarts with a new filter. On occasion I have used the larger Ford Filter (Fram** PH8 equiv) when I haven't had a spare Jeep filter. With the larger filter, tha capacity goes to right at 6 quarts when checked after the Jeep has been sitting. I usually put about a half a quart less than it calls for and then check/top off after I start the engine and let it drain back down. Another of life's little mysteries I guess.

-twylie

** I'd never recommend the use of a Fram filter, it's just what I know the part number for on my Explorer. After reading Bob the Oil Guy's analysis and measurements on filters, I've been staying away from Fram.
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    The greatest risk of over filling one's oil is that of crankshaft seal damage or leakage. More oil sloshing around higher in the crankcase. The seals are not designed for submersion in oil. Only to keep oil spray and mist in, dirt out. At 3/4" over the dipstick mark you may be 1 quart over full. Not as bad as 2 quarts over full. If you live or work near the place that changed the oil, ask them to drain it down to the correct level. If not practical to go back, keep an eye out for any signs of leakage.