Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
    Faughn,

My understanding is that a battery should realistically last between 4 and 7 years. Depending on weather conditions for example, among many other factors, your battery could last over 8 years...

I am the kind of person who goes back to the dealer for certain items; the battery is one of them. At least you know that if anything else goes wrong, they won't blame it on a third-party battery...
  • Options
    noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    Anyone heard of fuel cell powered ML yet? maybe 2nd or 3rd generation? They are saying fuel cell is a viable energy source in some 2007 vehicles. I have always wondered what will that (fuel cell technology) do to our current MLs' resale value then. Maybe for those of you who are considering the '02 ML should wait for the '07? :-) Just wondering........
  • Options
    mihalikc1mihalikc1 Member Posts: 2
    Responding to #4290

I have a new 2001 ML 320 with only 800 miles. The hesitation problem has happened quite a few times to me as well. It feels as thought the vehicle is about to stall and splutters for a second before taking off just fine. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for a day and also found nothing. I can't believe that as many people as I have seen on this message board have had problems and mercedes can't find the problem. Unfortunately it is very unpredictable and occurs on taking off from a dead stop, usually with the a/c on.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanxs
  • Options
    fredtwdfredtwd Member Posts: 25
    Hi Everyone:

I'm just about to sell my 2001 C320 and buy a 2002 ML-320. I had some questions on the price. Here's what I'm getting:

Base 36,300
    Freight 645
    Met Paint 495
    Heated Seats 635
    M1 1,635
    M2 1,275
    M5 1,295
    CD/Bose 1,200
    COMAND Navig. 1,860

Total 45,340
    Discount 1,500
    ======

First is the discount reasonable? Also, it seems like the price of COMAND is high -- it was 1,675 for 2001 (the dealer says it includes 2 hrs of labor, it's hard to believe it takes two hours). I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Robert
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    What's stopping you from cashing in on the 2001?
  • Options
    fredtwdfredtwd Member Posts: 25
    I really liked the improvements in the 2002 ML. It's true I could have save a significant amount if I purchased a 2001; however, the features seem to be worth the money.

Robert
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The ML actually doesn't have the COMAND system. We have something called the MCS (Modular Component System). What you're paying for is probably the optional GPS module. You can get it cheaper online from Clairparts.com, for example, and then have your dealership install it for you. In actuality, the GPS module can be installed in only 1/2 hour. It's not too difficult to do it yourself either since all of the wiring is already pre-installed.
  • Options
    The speed rating of the tire doesn't only mean that you can go up to xxx mph. What it also indicates is the tire's resistance to heat, since as you go faster, there is a lot more heat generated. A higher speed rated tire is probably also better made (better compounds) and is less likely to fail, which is probably why MB chose a higher speed rated tire...for that extra margin of error. Keep this in mind when purchasing new tires.
  • Options
    4.5 years of battery life sounds pretty reasonable to me. Heat is a major factor as far as battery life goes. One thing to make sure is that the new battery is compatible with the vent tube. I can't remember if the older E-classes have this, but the newer ones do. If not, then you can get pretty much whatever you please.
  • Options
    Ha, don't hold your breath. The good news though, is that by (or even before) 2007, we will likely see the return of high tech diesel engines to N.America since the oil companies are mandated by law to significantly reduce sulphur levels by then.
  • Options
    The air filter box was originally designed for the ML55's engine in mind, so it's actually very much oversized for the 3.2L engine. As such there is no real need for a K&N filter. Not only this, but apparently MB engineers found that while there is superior breathing with the K&N filter, it doesn't trap the smaller particles that the factory air filter does. Not a good thing if you plan to keep your truck for a long time.
  • Options
    Congrats on your new ML! Hope to see you posting here more in the future.

Yes, the M7 package deletes the retractable cargo tonneau cover. Some people have requested it as part of the deal when purchasing their vehicle. If you want it, your MB parts department should be able to order it for you. There should be no problems getting it to fit with your vehicle when the 3rd row seats are flipped down, or removed. You should not have it in the cabin when the 3rd row seats are being used though.
  • Options
    Light? I wasn't even aware that there was a light inside, LOL. I would vote for black electrical tape myself. Easily removed if need be in the future.
  • Options
    You can delete your own message by clicking on the "delete" button next to your message title. You can also edit an existing message, as long as it is within 30 minutes you posting it.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Replying to #4308 and #4311. Actually, the MCS is standard on the M-Class. The presence of the GPS system and a telephone constitutes the COMAND system, as follows:

"The COMAND control and display system (available as an option) can be used to control the radio, CD changer, sound system and telephone. COMAND, however, is also a pilot which operates in conjunction with the satellite-controlled Global Positioning System, GPS, to guide you to your destination."

Also, Robert, you are getting a 3.3% discount, which is not bad, considering that you will be not be waiting too long for the car. My dealer is offering me 2.4% and I think it is a good deal. Of course, I don't have the MSRP prices, but I don't think that MB will be giving big discounts anyway.

-- Gustav
  • Options
    No, what you're looking at is the European information. COMAND is not available in N.America. The COMAND system headunit looks completely different than the MCS.
  • Options
    f888l888f888l888 Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for advice.

Mercedes only gives 4-year warranty for new battery. I believe first year is free replacement, after that it is pro-rated. During my 11 years ownership of Mercedes sedan, I have no idea that battery can last up to 8 years. I hope Mercedes someday can supply such a battery.

I don't think dealers will blame you anything if your car is out of warranty. If your car is still in warranty, surely you will get Mercedes-branded battery under the warranty.

Do you have any idea about any signs that lead to a drop dead battery syndrome? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information.

I did not notice any vent on the battery. Only thing I noted that the battery is rated 550 cold crank (after 92 model, the battery capacity was increased to 825 cold crank). It is hard to find exactly cold crank rated in after market (most rated 625 and maintenance free) while Mercedes uses a maintenance (need adding water from time to time) battery.

I am trying to prevent from being stranded on the road due to battery. Sure enough, I can call 1-800-mercedes and a technician will come with a new battery. I am considering getting a new battery now ( the 4.5 years old working fine, no signs of losing electricity power) or, as an insurance policy, getting a jumpstart (like prestone jumpstart). Which way do you think would be preferrable? Thanks.
  • Options
    Drew,

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, I have been looking at the German site, for lack of information here in the US. I know some of the specifications are different, but I would have thought that particularly COMAND would have been a popular option here in the US.

BTW, do you recommend any website with additional US-specs information? All the information I have gathered so far on the MY02 M-Class has been given to me by the dealer.

-- Gustav
  • Options
    Faughn,

I was not referring to MB batteries in particular lasting up to 8 years. I was rather referring to the longest-lasting batteries available.

On a VW Golf GTI VR6 that I had, the factory-installed battery lasted a little over two years, but when I had it replaced, they assured me (VW) that the new one would last at least 5 years.

-- Gustav
  • Options
    arun_misraarun_misra Member Posts: 4
    does anyone has 3rd row seating in ML320?

Wanted to know how comfortable it is???
  • Options
    Unfortunately the MY2002 information is not out anywhere yet on any of the US sites...not officially anyway. I wouldn't expect anything till sometime next month. However, Town Hall is probably the best place to get an answer if you have a question, since we have several well informed individuals here.
  • Options
    Has it shown any signs of dying yet? If you leave the car for a few days or even a week, does it still start up fine? If so, then I'd personally probably wait a few months longer. My father has a Phillips 12 volt battery monitor that I've borrowed in the past to monitor the battery life to see if it can hold a charge.

The Prestone product is basically what the auto club uses to jump start your car anyway. Perhaps you may want to consider purchasing that product + a new battery further down the road? The former can be used on any vehicle anyway.

IIRC, Consumer Reports had good things to say about the Sears Diehard (Gold?) series batteries.

Let us know what you decide on anyway.

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    You could get some more info from this website until the official mbusa site kindly update us with the latest.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w163fldc.htm

Cheers

• Options
    wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    Actually the battery is replaced without any pro-rating. I had my battery go out after 3.5 years and called the road service and they replaced it with no cost to me. I also thought that they may have pro-rated it but that wasn't the case, and I was pleasantly surprised.
    Wally
  • Options
    svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Does this cancel out the sunroof. If this is the case, than I presume that one can order the ML with only the 3rd row seat without ordering the sunroof since rear seat entertainment is a dealer installed accessory???.

Please guide.
  • Options
    dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    The entertainment screen is located behind the sun roof. It will block the rear view mirror unfortunately.
  • Options
    Yes, but it (the screen) can be folded up when not in use so it doesn't block the rearview mirror all of the time. Not too bad a compromise, I think.

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Plus I'll bet the screen, when lowered, does not block as much of the rear-view as one may think. The rear-view mirror actually shows a fairly wide angle and I don't think the display will obscure much. If it was a safety problem MB would have come up with an alternative.
  • Options
    You're right of course. From pictures that were once posted, the LCD screen obscures mainly the middle portion of the rear view mirror. The sides are still visible. Since you have exterior rear view mirrors too, this is probably why it's not too big of an issue.

Here's what I mean:
    Click here for a picture. Note that this is with an Audiovox unit, which is a bit thicker (extends further down) than the one that MB sells.
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    On one of your pictures, i saw a net cargo on the front passenger footwell, where did you get that? Is that specifically for the front footwell or was that for the back cargo and just modified to be installed up front?

Pretty neat. I would like to have one. My wife always complains that i don't have a place for her stuff whenever she rides with me.
  • Options
    suvlvrsuvlvr Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

I've been doing my research on the 2001 ML320. This chat board has been so helpful. I'm planning to wait until the 2002's are out before bargaining for the 01. I live in the SF Bay Area - can anyone recommend a good MB dealer that's willing to work with customers? I'd be willing to drive up to two hours from the Bay Area to pick up the suv. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    I do like your illuminated mailbox gizmo:

Impressed Tarik

• Options
    johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    I was reading an article by Automobile Magazine(August 2001 issue page 30) and it had a logbook on four models BMW X5 4.4i; Honda Insight; Lexus IS 300; and Volvo V70 T5.

Following is a quote from their long term report on the BMW SAV X5 4.4i:

"Two incidents dominated our second quarter with the BMW, resulting in members of the Art Department being exiled from our X5. 10,201 (miles) after several hours in a mall parking lot, the X5 refuses to start for art director Molly Jean. BMW roadside assistance thinks the security system has been tripped and suggests several unconventional remedies (open and close all five doors, then swing a dead cat over the engine bay), to no result. Multiple jump-start attempts by mall security and the tow-truck driver also fail. Finally, it's towed to a dealership, where the problem is traced to a bad battery and a faulty hatch switch.
    11,012 (miles) tragedy strikes during a photo shoot with another, unnamed member of the art department behind the wheel. Wen the dust settles, both bumpers and the front suspension are askew. The relatively simple repairs stretch into a month-long ordeal invovling a back-ordered bumper cover.

(Automobile Magazine reports: 2/00, 4/00, 2/01, 6/01....Price as tested: $54,500...Months in service: 6...Miles to date: 15,508...Observed mileage: 18 mpg."

I think the text/report speaks volumes for itself.

Cheers

Johnny
  • Options
    Sure do appreciate the information. Will give him a call and see what he can do. Thanks again!!
  • Options
    poxpox Member Posts: 11
    Hi Suvlvr

I bought my 2000 ML430 in December 1999 from Smythe European in San Jose CA. None of the MB dealers were giving discounts at that time, so I cannot tell you whether you will be able to negotiate at Smythe. However, I can say that they treated me with respect and I was quite satisfied with the buying experience. I will definitely go back there when I am ready to trade in my SUV ( I have just under 29,000 miles on it so far). If you are interested, I will be glad to give you the name of the sales rep who worked with me; he was extremely nice and I recommend him without hesitation.

Although my buying experience at Smythe was excellent, their service dept is baaaad! have had a few minor problems with the SUV in the past couple of years (e.g., locks that go up and down rapidly and sound like machine gun fire, faulty brake sensor lights on the dashboard, rattles etc) and the service folks at Smythe never seem to fix everything on my first visit. Since they always keep my SUV for at least 48 hours (and on one occasion for 5 days!), I have never understood why they cannot fix everything on the first attempt. By the way, although they give both Volvos and MBs as loaners, I always seem to get a MB C class sedan as a loaner.

Good luck.

Pox
  • Options
    Thanks for all the good info pox, if you don't mind, I would appreciate having the name of the salesperson you mentioned at Smythe. Compiling a list of who to call and give me a no nonsense price for the car I want without trying to sell me all the options I don't want or need. Some of the dealers I've called have not even come close to the TMV prices listed on Edmunds and make me feel like I'm totally out of my gourd for expecting anything close to a TMV pricing. Thanks again.
  • Options
    macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I just purchased a 2002 E class from Bob Blake at Laguna Niguel MB even though I live in the bay area. LA dealers are much more willing to deal than bay area dealers which I found all of them to be sub-standard, especially when you consider how great you are treated in LA. I know you said that you were willing to travel two hours but why not consider flying to orange county and having a nice drive up the coast like I did, and save money over what the "buying experience" is in the bay area. I know you will be glad you did. Drop me an email if you need more particulars. Bob's number is 949-347-3722. Mention my name, Wayne. Good luck!
  • Options
    Here's the reason why it does this (parts were updated for 1999 and 2000 so this issue shouldn't be occuring any longer).

"If the signal from the locking microswitch, such as M14/6S1 (part of the door/tailgate lock assembly) is not received by the AAM (N10), the locking system attempts to ensure the vehicle is locked by cycling the locking motor from the unlock position to the lock position, up to five times. This process is often described by clients as a 'jumping' or 'bouncing' of the lock knobs."

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    I was offered $1000 over dealer invoice for a loaded '02 ML320 from www.sangera.com in Bakersfield, CA.

Dealer was:
    Ron Hoff
    Internet Sales Manager
    661-833-5257 Direct
    661-342-9686 Cell
    800-848-3494 Ext. 257

Very helpful and friendly
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Excellent; looks like some dealers are willing to discount 2002's off of MSRP immediately, as opposed to keeping things at MSRP for the first few months. That's the second post in the last few days on a discount.

The 2001's started getting discounted pretty quickly last year, but I thought it was because of the impending 2002 model. Guess not.

Given that, the price savings advantage of buying a late-year 2001 may not be as pronounced, even with the MB incentive and the price increase. The gap isn't as big, the 2002 has nice new content, and you take an immediate depreciation hit for buying a 2001 vs. a 2002. Of course this assumes that one can wait.
  • Options
    cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Ok, I've had it with everyone complaining that they don't get an S class as a loaner. Try coming to Austin where there is 1 dealership in town and they know it. Their service stinks with the worst of them and their motto on loaners is "You'll get nothing and like it". Sure you can catch a ride with 10 other people in a Chrysler minivan to work and get there by 10am. And yes, they too will keep your car for multiple days without fixing anything!
  • Options
    A big THANK YOU for all of you that have so kindly responded to my inquires. It's so nice to know that there is such support out there. Maybe, a 2002 will not be out of the question? Will let y'all know who I buy from and what I end up with. The list just keeps growing....

Suvlvr
  • Options

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• Options
    mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    I got a call from one of three MB dealer that I have been having conversations re: the MY02 ML's. He said he got in two '02 ML today (one black and one silver)!!! I couldn't make it down there to see for myself, however.

Additionally, with no prompting from me, he offered $1000 below MSRP. Sounded like there was still some room for negotiation. Wow, I am surprise dealers will do anything less than MSRP at this stage of the '02 game. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    dkchipsdkchips Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I just leased a 2001 ML 320 from Clairidges in Fremont, CA. The MSRP was $42,470 and the discounted price was $39,700. We leased for 48 months with a money factor of .000379. We were treated incredibly well and would recommend them in an instant.

BEWARE OF STEAD MOTORS in Walnut Creek, CA. On 7/3 my wife and I set out to buy and lease 2 cars. Mine was a 2001 Honda Accord V6 Coupe from WC Honda - another dealer that I would highly recommend. Credit was approved at tier 1 rates - no problems -took 1 hour. We then drove 1 mile to STEAD MOTORS and after 1 hour we/they agreed to a 60 month lease on a 320 with MSRP of $42,470. We drove home to get the trade - a pristine 1986 red 300E that had been maintained by STEAD for 14 tears. Heck - we didn't even shop around for the ML - I went to pick up my new Accord and my wife went to finish the deal at STEAD. It was 15 minutes later that I got a call from STEAD - The deal had changed - the discount had changed - the money factor had changed to .000655 - I asked for my wife - told her to smile and walk out.

One week later - after a 30 minutes with Gil Anderson at Clairidges in Fremont we had agreed on a deal that was $8,500 better than STEAD - Gil even drove to my home that night and had my wife sign the paperwork.

Yes - you can buy a Mercedes at a discount and not be intimidated and lied to - I recommend Clairidges and Gil Anderson and Luis Krystyl the - a gentlemen and a professional.

BEWARE OF STEAD MOTORS - HOLD ONTO YOUR WALLET.
  • Options
    sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Here's a new '02 review from UK magazine. Someone on another forum posted it there:

http://www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=231_2&reviewid=415

A few new pictures too.

• Options
    she1122she1122 Member Posts: 33
    I am new to writing a message but have been reading these forums for months. On Aug.20th, Johnny posted a website that described a V8 diesel engine for 2002. I find this exciting. Will this be available in the U.S.?
  • Options
    The battery is running fine. No signs of decaying. Most of the time, the car sits there for a week waiting for the next mission.

After much deliberation, I've decided to buy both,a charger and a jumpstart (not prestone though, another brand called something like smartstart, it is much lighter because it uses nickel Hydrite? metal as storage instead of lead acid, doubled as flashlight, though it costs about $25 more ). The jumpstart is intended for the aging battery (based on my experience, the battery always died without any symptom), and the charger is used for both Mercedes and Lexus 470 because both cars spend considerable amount of time sitting there.

By the way, I just checked the battery and added some distilled water into it. Judging by the amount of water added, it appears to me not too much heat was absorbed by the lead acid liquid. And the winter here is not too cold. So, maybe, there is some life left in the battery. Ironically, I checked a battery vendor on the internet. It advises to replace the battery before the winter on the 4th anniversary of the battery, even if the battery is running fine.

On another note, the topside vacuum just arrived. I'll see how it performs in my next oil change. Thanks.
  • Options
    mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    I'll be selling my '99 Ody EX when I purchase a '02 ML320.

Question: Can somebody give me some insight on tax ramification for selling a car privately verses trading it in?

Thanks much. Mike