Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    as of today, there was still no power and telephone service to our building.

As it stands, I'll be reporting to our midtown location tomorrow. Kinda tough to get there, as I'm from Brooklyn, and that will in one form or another require traversing the lower parts of Manhattan.

Still - I really have to hand it to New Yorkers, of which I'm a native, and I've seen bad things happen to this city. I'm a firm believer of you get knocked down, brush yourself off, get back up and get right back at it - and this city is the epitome of that emotion.
  • Options
    and get a nifty trip to the MB factory while I was at it.

Truth be told, I'm in no mood for air travel, and I don't think I'd want to drive both ways to Alabama right now. It's been a rough week :(
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Yep, a bad sensor will do that. A bad one might be telling the computer "hey, my wheel is slipping". Guess what it'll do :-P
    I'd have another dealer look at it if your current one can't find the problem...make sure you can reproduce the problem so you can show it to them.
  • Options
    Curious - I asked to see if anyone had switched to synthetic, and was told that the M-class comes OEM with synthetic tranny fluid from the factory.

Can anyone confirm? If so - I'm *impressed*!
  • Options
    svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Today I test drove both the vehicles. I am going with 320. Sure 500 had a bit more zip but 320 did not disappoint at all. In fact surprised me with smoothness.Saves me about $ 6K on topand now I can get the xenon too which I was avoiding when thinking about M 500 due to cost considerations. I paid $ 1K over Invoice.

Just wanted to share.
  • Options
    bud789bud789 Member Posts: 9
    Troll?
  • Options
    biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    IMO your alternator is not charging your battery that cause your battery having a weak load that cannot handle the load while at idle. Have your battery check as well as your alternator.
    How old is your battery?
    Good Luck,
    Jim
  • Options
    sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    It appeared that they had rear-ended the car in front of them. If I remember correctly (and these days I can't swear to that) the front-ends were pretty crumpled up. Both MLs were being towed away.

It did not appear that either of these accidents involved serious personal injury, thankfully. But I may have missed all that.

I just found it odd that an ML was involved in both accidents. Hope that doesn't mean that NY area ML drivers have more of a tendency to drive too close to the car in front of them than drivers of other makes.

Sharon in NJ
  • Options
    hugenesshugeness Member Posts: 12
    Last year there was lots of talk about MB's new no discount pricing concept. What happened to that concept? I have never heard of so many people being able to pick up a car at the local dealer for $1,000 over invoice!! This wasn't even possible when the C-class model was changed over for the old cars. I am really having some buyers remorse over what I thought was a fair deal (i.e. $1,000 under MSRP). I know you can negotiate many brands down toward invoice, but that was never the case with MB before. This is the fourth car I would have bought from this dealer in the past three years (new '99 ML320, new '99 CLK320, used '95 Lexus ES300).

What gives? Is it the economy, the NY tragedy or what?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I've been seeing discounts on ML's for several years now. 2001's are going under invoice, due to the dealer incentive ($1500).
  • Options
    The economy.
    Drive by your local dealers and see how many are sitting in stock nowadays...simple supply and demand. You'd think MB would cut back supply a little...
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    From what I was told, they can't. MBUSA and MB Canada are separate entities than MB Germany, and they're committed to buying x amount of cars that they ordered for the entire year.
  • Options
    Fender flares are mostly cosmetic whereas mudflaps are functional, especially in rain or snow. Up to you to decide which one you want.
  • Options
    Make sure that the vehicles that you test drive have tires that are not overinflated (29psi all around is the normal). That could really exacerbate anything that you feel on the road. The ML's suspension is firmer than many other SUVs (for performance, handling, and weight management reasons), so keep that in mind.
  • Options
    Regarding the flags, Victor Urbach has a few of them available for you to print out and paste to your ML:

http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m16401.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    I think that since the tranny fluid was designed for practically the lifetime of the vehicle, with the conservativeness of the MB engineers + some off-roading in mind, there is a very good chance that it is already synthetic.
  • Options

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• Options
    jreyjrey Member Posts: 3
    Hi Drew,

I saw the deflector on the hood of your ML. I have the same model and color. It has the most coverage of any I've found except for the X-5 which continues around the entire grill area. Where did you purchase it? I would like to get one.

Thanks

James
    2001 ML320 Silver

P.S. Any ideas as to how to get the "wet" look on the silver paint. . For the first 6 weeks when I first got it from the dealer it had an almost "wet" look to the paint even after weekly washings (it sits outside 24/7 here in a suburb of Baltimore, MD). I've just started using Auto Majic BC-2 Basecoat/Clearcoat Finish and One Grand Blitz Wax but can't achieve that deep wet look on the silver paint. I've heard suggestions ranging from 1) Meguiars 29? to 2) Zaino's to 3) what I'm currently using plus Zaino's Gloss enhancer over those two. What's been your experience?

Thanks
  • Options
    gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
    johnnnyc,

Thank you for your feedback and for your advice. As a fellow New Yorker, I must agree with you that the city has shown its best in the face of such unspeakable horror. It is ironic that after having witnessed the coward and bloody example of the worst of humanity, the rescue teams and all the volunteers showed the world the best of humanity. An era has just ended and I hope that all of us are to able to do our share, in small and big ways, to prevent such horrible acts from happening again, in our country, or anywhere else.

"I didn't factor environmental aspects in my decision (my opinion is that if you're seriously concerned about the environment, and don't need an SUV, then you shouldn't buy one - I don't fit that category, either in need or concern)."

I am seriously concerned about the environment and in many aspects of my life I make it a point of not contributing to its deterioration. However, I DO NEED an SUV, for practical and safety reasons. In that sense, I have now made up my mind to go with the ML320 since it does something, even if it is only a gallon or two difference, to alleviate the attack on the environment.

"The whole issue centers around whether or not you care for the navigation system (standard in the 500, ~$1800 option for the 320) and whether or not you'll need, or want, the more powerful engine."
    I don't care for the navigation system. The more powerful engine is attractive, but not enough to make me want to put down an additional $6k.

"In my case, I felt the 215HP of the ML320 was sufficient for me. I couldn't find a 500 to test drive, but in the end, figured that the additional HP was not going to offset the extra gas costs, since I do mostly city driving."

From what I have gathered in this and other forums, the ML320 is powerful enough, particularly if you don't plan on using it regularly for towing, as you mentioned further into your message.

"I would say three things should drive you to get a 500 if price isn't an object - one, the value you find in the navigation system, two being whether or not you are a HP freak (in which case, every extra HP helps), and three, whether or not you do a lot of offroading or tow a boat/trailer/etc. You might want the extra torque and HP of a V8 if you're going that route."

Since neither the navigation system nor the HP differential are important enough to me, the choice is now clear.
    FYI, I am paying about $1,200 below MSRP, which I consider a good deal.

-- Gustav
  • Options
    Got your e-mail, just haven't had a chance to reply to it yet.

Regarding my hood deflector, it's a MB Canada-only accessory. However, you can purchase a very similar one called the EGR Superguard at: http://nordleth.com/mercedes.html. The hood deflector seems to work very well; no paint chips on the hood in the 22+ months that I've had the ML, knock on wood.

As for the paint, I simply use Zymol polish. Others here have used Zaino and should be able to comment on it. Silver, being a fairly light colour, probably won't get the same kind of gloss that you can get off a highly detailed/polished black vehicle.

I hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    I use Zaino. No wet look, but my silver ML does look like a mirror ;-)
    I think a true wet look requires dark paint...
  • Options
    she1122she1122 Member Posts: 33
    I want to thank everyone for their ideas on improving ride quality. I have decided to go look at the ML again. I will check the tires and look at a 2002. This should be interesting!!
  • Options
    but I think you'll notice a significant difference in a 2002 MY. I could have saved another $2500 off the price of my vehicle, had I opted for the 2001 - but I really felt the ride was significantly better in 2002. Could just be me though.
  • Options
    jmcdowelljmcdowell Member Posts: 13
    First-as for environmental concerns......I get 20 to 22 mpg, depending on whether I'm pulling my trailer or have an itch to accelerate. Otherwise, I drive conservatively and get great mileage. The ML has the lowest emissions of any car I've owned (32 of 'em so far). I don't change my own oil anymore, since I know the dealer recycles the oil, and checks all the other stuff I used to intend to do, like check the tranny and differential oil, but never got around to it. They also wash the car after the oil change. Why do it myself to save maybe $10 when they do more than I ever did. I have the ML 320- a 2000 model and my second one. The acceleration is fine most of the time, but when I have driven it easy for a while, it just can't believe I want to go and waits for a 1-2 count before it actually accelerates. I need to check this hesitation with the dealer since I think it should respond immediately if for some reason I need it to avoid an accident. The first ML-a '98- was a lemon, and Mercedes get me a credit to buy this one. It is not perfect, but is much better. One issue I haven't seen on this forum is lifter noise. My engine was noisy and I told the dealer at the A service. They replaced the exhaust valve rocker arms under a factory service advisory and the engine is much quieter and produces the better gas milage. I now have almost 15,000 miles and am looking forward to even better performance when the engine finishes breaking in. The '98 developed better power at about 23,000 miles, so I figure that this one ought to be about the same, since I have driven both the same way. I agree with those who couldn't wait for service A to change oil, and changed it at 5000 miles. In the '98 I put in the Husky mats and hated 'em. They were stiff, thin and plasticky. The carwash tried to take them out to clean them and wound up jamming my underseat drawer. They felt creepy on bare feet. I now have the Mercedes mats and they are heavy duty rubber and cover the dead pedal-perfect! For the back cargo area, I bought a Rubbermaid desk chair mat from Office Max and trimmed it to fit. It is tough and durable, has the right amount of friction to allow you to slide heavy stuff in, while not being so slick that it slides all around while you drive and is transparent enough that the carpet color shows through. Oh it is under $30 as well.---Jeff
  • Options
    rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Got to drive one this week end... I have to say it is pretty cool. I really wish we had it over here.

I also got to see the new SL, E, AND CLK. (Yes, the new body styles)

Also rode in a 1993 G-Wagen V8 6.0 -- The sound from that car was amazing!!!.

More later when I"m not tired
    R
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Back from Frankfurt already? You better skip anything else and post your pix immediately ;-).

Did you also get to take one of the driving classes anywhere?

Bursting from curiousity Tarik
  • Options
    hhm1644hhm1644 Member Posts: 13
    Hey guys. I have posted regarding my 01 ML320's hesitation problem before, but it seems not too many of you have it, or it hasn't surfaced yet. Mine didn't start til about 9k miles, now has 11,5. I've taken it in 3 times. First time the service people told me they "couldn't duplicate". Second time, they told me they did and they fixed it. Third time, obviously still hesitating off the line, they acknowledge Mercedes is aware and that the service engineers are working on a fix, but none is available as of yet.

Subsequently, I have almost been creamed a few times when I pull into traffic and the car simply doesn't move when I hit the gas. I want the issue resolved, or I want a new car. What's the next step for me to take-do I ask the service manager to put me in touch with the regional rep for MBUSA or do I call MBUSA directly. I want to know that either the fix is on the way immediately, or that MBUSA will buy me out (for a substantially less-than-recently-offered amount for trade-in). I know they bought back when acknowledged issues came up on 98-99's. This seems like a pretty big deal, and I am terrified my wife or kids will be hurt by the problem-damn, the car is practically brand new.

On the side, the car is black/charcoal with 11,5k. It has M1, Bose, roof and heated seats (and hitch). To trade up (after 10 months) to a 2002, the dealer quoted me $7500 for the same vehicle!! Granted, the price went up this year, and I was willing to pay that, but good God!

I apologize for the long post, and hope that someone can steer me in the right direction. At this point, would just love to get rid of this car, but otherwise love it, and would love MB to step up to the plate and replace it with a 2002 while NOT robbing me blind. (Obviously I"m willing to pay for wear, tear and depreciation).

By the by, I'm not a one-time or a first-time customer-I have had several, and have a couple others right now.

Help.
    HHM
  • Options
    dmh10dmh10 Member Posts: 8
    I just changed my oil and I started the truck to let the oil circulate and when I turned it off oil started puddling under the vehicle. I used a topsider to drain the oil before changing and I believe I must not have got all the oil out. How do I fix this problem. Any replies are appreciated.

Thanks
    DMH10
  • Options
    bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    dmh10, Some quick questions, did you start the truck 'while' draining the oil or after you were done, did you change the filter?

Depending on your answer will determine what to check;

1st - Look at this site: http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_oil_change2.htm

and make sure you followed all the instructions.

2nd. If you started the motor while draining the oil, never, I repeat, NEVER run the motor when its out of or low on oil or unrepairable damage can and will occur.

3rd. If you did all in 1 correctly check to see that you tightened the oil filter housing down properly, next check to see if when you took the tube out of the top sider if it was the oil in the tube that ran down the block.

Good luck

• Options
    dmh10dmh10 Member Posts: 8
    Things bob259 for responding so fast. I had already changed the oil and put the oil filter in.
    Also, I had the dipstick in. I put in 8 quarts of oil (Mobil1 05/50) The truck has no oil in it now, it has all leaked out.
  • Options
    Because the topsider uses the dipstick tube to remove your old oil and you didn't remove the drain plug, I would think it's either a o-ring on the filter tube/housing not in place properly or the housing itself not being tightened properly. Check to see where the oil is draining from, if it's by the housing you should see a trail I would think.
  • Options
    52cars52cars Member Posts: 30
    picking up my 02ml320 today. unfortunately, my dealer just inform me that those PIAA lamps on the brush guard are not available yet.

anyone knows where can i get them.?
  • Options
    check www.piaa.com
    and start from there.
  • Options
    Congrats! Let us know when you get it.

The PIAAs should be available in time, so you could just wait for them. The MB ones have a special plug-in with the MB harness whereas you'll have to do some wire splicing for the aftermarket ones. Others here should be able to provide you with more details if you wish.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    How can I post a picture on this board? I just want to show what I got. :-)
  • Options
    I know what you want to show ;-)...Instructions are here:
    KarenS "MB M-Class Owners: Photo Gallery" Jan 29, 2001 12:28pm
  • Options
    mbman1mbman1 Member Posts: 35
    Sorry to hear about your trouble. In California, an automobile is eligible to be a lemon after 3 unsuccessful attempts to repair a life threating problem. I would start with the dealer and work my way up, explain your situation, be calm and make it clear you want a fair resolution for all parties. If you are not satisfied then start hinting towards the lemon laws and escalating your displeasure. They should be willing to simply buy back your ML at the highest blue book price and make you pay the difference between that and the 2002 model. If they don't, go to MBUSA and demand a new car under your states lemon law.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I don't have to show what I got just change the color of your ML to Black Opal...just kidding.:-)

JaimeB
  • Options
    You know what, I was just thinking that when I saw your picture last night, LOL!!! You have a decal on the left hand tailgate glass, and so do I. :-). Mine is for the BMW Car club of British Columbia though. What does yours say?

Yes, using JPEG is recommended since the file sizes are a lot smaller. Which Kodak camera did you end up purchasing?

Here you go:

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    My ML500 sport has been shipped from the factory, and I am expecting it any day. I looked at another ml500 on my dealers lot and the tires have a far less aggressive tread pattern than those on my 2000 ml430. They almost look like a summer tire tread. I am therefore considering getting 4 Dunlop sp winter sport tires for the winter. Questions: Does anyone have any experience with these snow tires? Do you think they will make a significant enough difference in the winter to justify their purchase?
  • Options
    The new tires are all-season ones versus the all-terrain ones that the pre-'02s had. They have a new silica compound which will help in snow and ice, but if you get heavy snow (and I know you can in your area), the winter tires probably make more sense.

The Dunlop Winter Sport tires are MB Canada approved and you can get them from your dealer too...From what I have read, the difference is noticable on ice especially. These winter sport tires are not as aggressive as normal winter tires, but they should handle better since they're not as soft and have a higher speed rating as well.

Wolfgang's page has an excellent winter tire listing for the ML:
    http://www.whnet.com/4x4/shoptalk.html#wintertires

We also have winter tires discussion topic in the Aftemarket & Accessories message board.
  • Options
    lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    While out of town recently, my wife's '99 ML320 "died" in a parking lot. Would turn over, but would not fire. Turned out to be a failed fuel pump - would imagine highly unusual for a '99 MB.

As if this was not bad enough, when the tow truck (flat bed) arrived to take to the local dealer, the front bumper assembly completely pulled away from the chassis! Tow hook was attached to the steel bumper plate hook protruding underneath the bumper cap.

Was totally shocked that the entire assembly separated from the vehicle... would have forced the vehicle to slide into cars behind it if it were not for the 2 cables attaching the assembly to the frame chassis.

Here's the rub... the contact points where the bumper plate was "welded" to the frame rails were totally oxidized. Total rusting of the weld points appeared to be a mfg defect - one that could have had dire consequences in an accident.

Has anybody encountered this situation? I can only say I hope not! We have picked up the car and driven back home. Will be taking into our dealer on Friday and expect to have a local MB rep present. Thoughts on handling potential impact on trade-in/resale values? We'd be interested in getting a solid trade-in on a 2002, as we love the vehicle. This must be a manufacturing anomoly.

So sorry for the long post... can anyone shed light on this situation? Comments welcome.
  • Options
    lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I must say that MB did handle the repair process very well... hated the cheap Pontiac Sunfire rental car from Enterprise. Had to drive it back and forth to our home, which was 3 hours away from the out of town dealer. Our ML "looks" fine, but has obvious indications that there has been some sort of frame damage.

We just don't want to get dinged at resale/trade-in time. Will try to get MB to help us out since this was a mfg defect... and a potentially serious one at that! Fortunately, we have pics to support us.
  • Options
    djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    What worked for me when I was flat-out disgusted with my ML and ready to put it through the showroom window was to write a long, calm, clear letter to the dealer manager. I discussed all the problems and the steps that had been taken without fixing my car and told him that if an immediate acceptable solution wasn't reached then a copy of the letter would be sent to MBUSA's Customer Service Department AND a copy would be sent to the local Lexus dealer with permission to use it as they saw fit.

Fortunately, my problem wasn't as dangerous as yours is.

This approach got all of my problems (and then some) resolved. My salewoman told me that my letter was the first topic of conversation at their daily meeting. I think they didn't like me pacing in the showroom, rather than Service, waiting for the Service Advisor with a scowl on my face either.

I also got a SLK320 as a loaner (I think the dealer manager's car) which was really fun to have.

Right now I am building up another list of little things to hit them with. I also love driving the ML but sometimes I question whether the aggravation of the rattles, the little things that break off, and the paint is worth it.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Whewwww Your Da MAN Drew, you have a magic touch. I have two diffirent type of stickers, the one on front windshield is my military sticker, (FYI I'm a retired US Navy)that's why I've been to Vancouver quite a few times, Do you know ORANGE # 5 LOL!!!!).And on the tail gate I have two, the small white one is my rank in the Navy and the yellow one it say CAL in short for UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY where is my daugther attending college.
    Sorry folks for OT.
    My Camera: Sony DSC P50
    Thanks, Drew
    jamie
  • Options
    I just read a comparo between the ML 500 and the ML 400 CDI in Auto, Motor und Sport (Germany).

The following points might (?) be of interest:

................ML 500...............ML 400 CDI

Hp........... 292 @ 5600...........250 @ 4000
    Torque..325 lb/ft @ 2700.....413 lb/ft @ 1700
    Max trailer weight.7400 lbs..........7400 lbs
    0-62..........8.2 s................8.4 s
    0-112........27.2 s...............32.7 s
    Top speed.....139 mph..............133 mph
    Gross weight.6300 lbs.............6300 lbs
    Payload......1500 lbs............ 1200 lbs
    Gas mileage..14.8 mpg.............19.1 mpg
    Coll. ins..$ 3000 p.a.......... $ 3000 p.a.

MSRP....................$54000
    Trailer hitch...........$ 550
    Metallic paint..........$ 720
    Navi/Comand/phone.......$ 2100
    Moonroof................$ 1100
    Xenon...................$ 1025

Basically, the CDI has more low-end grunt, as expected, but plows more due to the additional 320 lbs on the front axle. Braking performance and top speed are slightly lower.

The ML 500 has by far surpassed the 430, and is rapidly approaching the ML 55 in power and ease. Being more fun to drive than the CDI, it is the overall choice of the testers.

Drooling Tarik
  • Options
    don't know how ofter I tried to get the table halfway straight, but it's either too late at night for me, or the SW provisions are beyond my capabilities...

Tarik
  • Options
    rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I'm still waiting for the pics back from the shop.

Surprisingly I didnt take as many photos as I thought that I would. The place was too packed to get clear pics.

I wanted to stay in Germany another week to go to munich and play around.

hopefully I"ll have pics by the weekend. They have so many cool toys out there. Why dont they bring them over.

One other interesting event is that we went on the MB test track and took a Bus SIDEWAYS!!!... YES Sideways!!!. No I dont have pics of this because they didnt want us to take pics of inside the facility.

More later,
    R
  • Options
    hugenesshugeness Member Posts: 12
    Unfortunetly, I am going to have some experience real soon to respond to the trade-in issue on a damaged ML320... mostly sideswipe damage along entire driver side. Our '99 ML320 got into an accident last night (luckily, no one was hurt). I had been planning on trading-in on an '02 and got a $26,500 trade-in quote a few days ago. I will now have to go talk to them about the damage/repair issue.

Anyone with experience please report in and I will update the board on the "journey" which I am undertaking.
  • Options
    dmh10.. How did you make out?