Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• hkjcrvhkjcrv Posts: 84
    I just dropped my car off at the shop this morning (not a Honda dealer, just my local reputable shop) because I have been having problems with my steering. When the wheel is cut all the way to the left or right (especially noticeable when pulling into and out of parking spaces), I get the grinding/rubbing noises. Since those symptoms seem to be common, and the problem is the rear differential for so many, I can only imagine that must be what it is.

I have a little bit over 38K miles on my 2004 EX. So I'm just outside of the warranty. What a drag. Is anyone having any luck taking the car to the dealer and getting them to fix the problem, even outside of the warranty? Seems like if it is a problem with so many of the vehicles, they should be fixing it for free (sort of like a recall).

Part of me would rather avoid the hassle of having to fight with the dealership over it, though, and just have the shop fix it. I guess it depends on how much this whole mess is going to cost me.
  • That's the sound, that's the problem! Of course they don't like you to self-diagnose! The service sheet that was sent out by Honda Corporate #07-024 tells the dealerships how to handle the differential problem and the warranty issues. Maybe you could persuade them to let you read it, I was told it isn't public knowledge, but I haven't done any research to prove that yet, I'll search the web too. The problem isn't bad enough in their eyes to have a recall (on the fluid?).

Apparently it's the fluid that breaks down with the heat. A Honda serviceman told me that. They'll hear the sound and then find metal shavings in the fluid. Is the changing of the fluid on the list for the 30K maintenance schedule or any of the other schedules? They might use that as a way to have you pay for it.

Changing the fluid and burnishing the rear clutches is all they should do. The sound is the only warning sign to have it done. Changing the fluid is easier for them then changing the oil. They might charge for the diagnosis too.
    Let's us know how it turned out and how much you paid. We all may be in your situation some day! Best of everything, be strong!
    thanks for sharing!
  • Check out post #30, there someone posted the link to the Service Bulletin 07-024!!
  • Thank you for that link!! And the general manager said it wasn't public info.... :mad:
  • If anyone has a copy or a WORKING LINK to the Honda Service Bulletin 07-024, I'd appreciate it. I tried the one listed in Posting #30 and I couldn't access it. I'm not real computer savvy so I don't know if the format (PDF) just doesnt work with my computer or whether the link has been shut down.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,249
    Looks like a bad link there with a period at the end. Try this:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF

That worked for me, but if you still have trouble, let me know here or by email and I'll email it to you.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Just an update on my rear diff. problem and my dealings with the dealer. I had called him to to find out what the next step was going to be after our meeting. He changed his mind on being able to help me through the dealership and told me to contact Honda Corporate so they can open a "case file." I did this and they said that they would do research and get back to me. They failed to ask me about where I had the car fixed 3 times, I guess their detective work will figure it out, or not. Has anyone gone through Honda for the lemon law or anything else? :lemon:
  • My 2006 CRV rear diff started to groan and moan on tight turns at 14k. At first I was not sure what was causing it and thought it might have something to do with tire wear. It now has 16k and I just called my dealer. I explained the problem and gave the 07-024 service bulletin number. The dealer could not find the service bulletin. I've printed out the bulletin and will take it to the dealer. This lack of knowledge by the dealer is a bit disconcerting. I'm hoping the dealer will take care of me.

From reading these posts, it sounds like a design error allowing the diff fluid to get contaminated from outside water. I doubt if it would take too much rocket science to get a proper fix for this. Is there an after-market solution?
  • I just came across this thread about this issue and have read through the service bulletin. Anybody here know if the 2008 production models are affected as well, or has Honda already resolved the issue starting with the 2008 production runs?

Thanks!
  • I was told that the metal shavings from the clutches contaminate the oil.
  • This is a known problem to the dealers and HONDA in that if you make sharp right or left turns your car shakes as if you have an engine or transmission problem. This is because the your steering wheel is connected to the power train and it is caused by rear differential problem. Most HONDA dealer service advisors know about this problem in 2005 to 2007 CRVs and they try to fix it by flushing out the differential fluid 3 times and if not fixed in time the rear differntial clutch gear parts have to be replaced due to wear. I was told that this is due to a breather hole in the rear differential that allow water to get in and contaminiating the fluid by my Honda dealer when I had my 2006 Honda CRV 4WD which had this problem and they flushed out the rear differential fluid 3 times. The service schedule states 90K KMeter change of rear differential fluid but this happend on my 2006 CRV at 27K KM. It still drives rough especially when I am in idle. I plan to have the fluid replaced at 50K Km. This is a known design problem and I was shocked to see that Honda did not fix this in the 2007 models and I am still thinking that they did not for 2008 as I think they still use the same drive train design.

HONDA knows about this problem and they have done NOTHING for the last 3 years. If I had the time, I would take a civil suite against Honda to do a PROPER RECALL and do a FIX on all CRVs from 2005 to 2007 like most North American car manufacturers. Who said Japanese quality is better? I would go with a NA car that costs less and who actually do recalls on design and safety problems, I did have my share of problem on GM but this is a different story again.

The fact that HONDA have not done anything other than cover it under good will coverage if you complain about this after warrantee coverage. I will finish my lease on my 2006 CRV and never buy a Honda again,
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    While I agree with you that by now Honda should have corrected this problem, I think you'll be disappointed in your search for the perfect car or car company. The problem here is merely annoying. The CR-V still rates very high in terms of reliability, and when compared to the competition.
  • 51985198 Posts: 11
    The problem is not just annoying but can be dangerous. Read the blog from the person who discovered the problem at 60mph....I personally had to pay to have the fluid replaced (Over $100+)...this is my 2nd CRV, my 4th Honda and I am considering Toyota next time...
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    It still drives rough especially when I am in idle.

At what speed do you drive at idle? I would imagine that the engine is lugging because of the incorrect gear selection (if you drive stick), ot faulty automatic transmission. Probably nothing to do with the rear differential.

HONDA knows about this problem and they have done NOTHING for the last 3 years.

This design dates back to the 1985 Honda Civic Wagon AWD and has proven it self to be pretty much bullet proof. Problem is that the bean counters and marketers at Honda USA got a hold of the Owner's Manual and changed the maintenance schedule (without having technical knowledge) to make it more appealing to the masses by lowering the maintenance costs. The design is fine, it is the people who have nothing to do with the vehicle that messed it up.

I will finish my lease on my 2006 CRV and never buy a Honda again,

What are you going to get next?

Toyota? Engine sludge.

Dodge/Crysler/Jeep? Premature engine wear and tranny failures.

Kia/Hyundai? Questionable and dated technical designs with good looking sheetmetal. Still not sure about long term reliability. Resale value is non-existent.

Chevy/Ford? Not even in the same league as far as quality of materials and design process, as well as much much lower real world fuel economy than EPA estimates.

So, what will it be?

Maybe a dispoable Chinese car like a Cherry (soon to be sold under Chrysler brand), but will most likely result in hundreds of recalls due to incompliance with the US regulations.

Good luck.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    You are not the least bit biased are you. Probably buy a Honda if it had square wheels. Toyota sludge is a thing of the past. Ford quality has improved greatly. There are other good vehicles out there besides Honda. I have had good and bad Hondas and Toyotas. Darn good Fords as well.
    Probably buy a Honda if it had square wheels.

If anyone figures out how to make a car with square wheel, it will be Honda.

They have been testing Fuel Cell vehicles in Buffalo for the last 12 months, and I have to say, that they are impressive.

And, yes, as an R&D person my self, I have great respect for a company that puts real R&D above all. Honda products may not have eye appeal, or great marketing support, but they sure are great technological breakthroughs. There are very few companies out there that value R&D and science more than the hype, I mean marketing.
  • A follow-up to my last post. I took my CRV to the dealer and they knew of this problem. Said it is common on CRVs. They did a flush and burnished the gears. The dealer service was good and I had the truck back in about 4 hours.

However, I hope this quick fix really solves the problem. So far it is quiet but it's only been a couple hundred miles since the flush. I'm also disappointed that Honda is not contacting affected CRV owner and being proactive in taking care of customers.

• What are you going to get next?

Toyota? Engine sludge.

Dodge/Crysler/Jeep? Premature engine wear and tranny failures.

Kia/Hyundai? Questionable and dated technical designs with good looking sheetmetal. Still not sure about long term reliability. Resale value is non-existent.

Chevy/Ford? Not even in the same league as far as quality of materials and design process, as well as much much lower real world fuel economy than EPA estimates.

So, what will it be?

I disagree about Kia/Hyundai - Their last 2 year models kick [non-permissible content removed] and is the best value for the money in terms of reliability. Hyundai had the bad image but Kia was always a reliable car. Since Hyundai bought out Kia, Hyunday quality has gone up.

My first choice is still Toyota then Hyundai/Kia and then NA. Honda is last and I think those of you that have been brainwashed by Honda marketing are paying Toyota level pricing for a piece of crap.

I agree that both Ford have turned around quality and GM is trying. Chrysler is in trouble. They all do recalls on real design problems and fix it. Honda does not.

That is why I will never Honda again.
    I disagree about Kia/Hyundai - Their last 2 year models kick [non-permissible content removed] and is the best value for the money in terms of reliability. Hyundai had the bad image but Kia was always a reliable car. Since Hyundai bought out Kia, Hyunday quality has gone up.

My first choice is still Toyota then Hyundai/Kia and then NA. Honda is last and I think those of you that have been brainwashed by Honda marketing are paying Toyota level pricing for a piece of crap.

Define "kick [non-permissible content removed]" please.

The engine technology used by Kia/Hyundai is at least 10 years behind Honda. Yes, I agree they are dirt cheap, but so are the lead laced toys from China. What is your point? Cheap is good? Sometimes, inexpensive quality product is what is good. And this is where Honda steps in, inexpensive while quality engineered, designed and manufactured.

As to "piece of crap" define piece of crap?

I see 10-20 year old Hondas running around every day. Heck, I have a 1988 Honda Prelude sitting in the garage that is my summer car. It starts every morning, and runs like a clock. The 1983 Honda Magna is still like new, even though it is 24 years old. Starts on the first crank and still squeezes out 0-60 in 3.3 seconds.

Show me an example of 20 year old Hyundai/Kia that is still in one piece, and by one piece I don't mean compressed by the car crusher.

Maybe because Honda makes such crap all the emergency responders use Honda generators, and other Honda power equipment. Yeap, because it is all piece of crap.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Posts: 39
    Dave
    Don't waist your breath-- Anyone who butts the word "crap" against anything manufactured by Honda is simply uninformed and beyond hope
    Ted
  • I am thinking to choose either Honda CR-V EX 4WD 2008 or Subaru Forester 2008. After seeing so many posts regarding the rear differential problem of CR-V, I am a bity worried about it. Does anyone know if that problem has been fixed in 2008 models or not? Thanks in advance,

Dean
  • Dear Dave and Ted,

Do you guys work for Honda?

I leased Honda thinking it had good quality. I was SHOCKED to find that they have this Rear Differential problems in 2005, 2006 and EVEN MORE SO in 2007. You go to any Honda dealer service rep and they know about the problem but you have to ask for service and the they quietly do the work. Well I had the rear differential flushed 3 times at 25K and at 37K KM I now have the problem again. I have a 2006.
    The fact of the matter is that HONDA knows about this problem and it is up to
    the owner to complain about this. When I asked about what caused this
    they claimed that their is a breather hole that allowed water to get into the
    Rear differential fluid.

Come ON!

HONDA knew about this problem since 2005 and have done NOTHING
    to fix it for 2006, and got worse in 2007. I will be surprised if HONDA will fix it
    for 2008 as they just came out with the new drive train in 2007 and I do not expect
    Honda to change 2008 drastically.

As stated earlier, NA manufacturers do recalls and fix problems. HONDA does not
    and you have to ask for it. THIS IS WHY I CALL IT CRAP.

About Kia and Hyundai, their quality is up significantly in the last 2 years and in
    10 years I expect that you will see as many Kias and Hyundais as the Hondas.

I will not buy Honda again until I see them proactively address this FUNDAMENTAL
    drive train issue in their Rear Differential problem.

For our friend thinking between Subaru and Honda, I would go with the Subaru.

Toyota first and then Korean vehicles and then North American cars and then Honda.
  • I spoke with Honda corporate about a month ago. They "opened a case" on my car, but I haven't heard from them yet. I was promised a call within a week. I'll keep you posted.
    My CRV was the one that locked up at 60 mi/hr. I've had two flushes and burnishing of the clutches even after the new differential was put in.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Posts: 39
    Hi cdamech

No, I do not work for Honda, but I have driven a Honda/Acura since 1977--Let’s see I'm not a mathematician but that sounds like 30 years of data to draw on. With that in mind, I will sing the praises of Honda till the cows come home

I am perfectly willing to admit that my 06 CRV has disappointed me in two areas: The Rear Diff problem and gas mileage, plus the display readouts are ridiculously small

Honda has definitely not been as transparent about the rear diff issues as one would want or expect, but on the other hand, the problem while significant to those of us who have endured it does not seem to be as endemic as this thread would have one believe.

After my first flush this summer, I repeated again last week (The moan had not returned) but in the spirit of “better safe than sorry” I went for another round of Dual Pump II

I am interested in how your case evolves so please continue to keep us posted

Good luck and Happy New Year!
    t
  • Thanks for posting the Service Bulletin. The closest Honda dealer to me here in Durham NC (Crown Honda Southpoint) is awful.

They actually tried to claim this is routine maintenance every 15k miles so it was typical that my '06 with 17k miles needed the $65 fluid change.
    Dear Dave and Ted,

Do you guys work for Honda?

I leased Honda thinking it had good quality. I was SHOCKED to find that they have this Rear Differential problems in 2005, 2006 and EVEN MORE SO in 2007. You go to any Honda dealer service rep and they know about the problem but you have to ask for service and the they quietly do the work. Well I had the rear differential flushed 3 times at 25K and at 37K KM I now have the problem again. I have a 2006.
    The fact of the matter is that HONDA knows about this problem and it is up to
    the owner to complain about this. When I asked about what caused this
    they claimed that their is a breather hole that allowed water to get into the
    Rear differential fluid.

Come ON!

HONDA knew about this problem since 2005 and have done NOTHING
    to fix it for 2006, and got worse in 2007. I will be surprised if HONDA will fix it
    for 2008 as they just came out with the new drive train in 2007 and I do not expect
    Honda to change 2008 drastically.

As stated earlier, NA manufacturers do recalls and fix problems. HONDA does not
    and you have to ask for it. THIS IS WHY I CALL IT CRAP.

About Kia and Hyundai, their quality is up significantly in the last 2 years and in
    10 years I expect that you will see as many Kias and Hyundais as the Hondas.

I will not buy Honda again until I see them proactively address this FUNDAMENTAL
    drive train issue in their Rear Differential problem.

For our friend thinking between Subaru and Honda, I would go with the Subaru.

Toyota first and then Korean vehicles and then North American cars and then Honda

I don't work for Honda, I wish I did, but they never responded to my resume...

But, I know a good design when I see one.

The design of the rear differential calls for 15,000 mile fluid changes. However, as you may know, most companies these days it is not the guys who know (engineeres and scientists) but it is the guys who count (accountants) and the puffers (marketing) that run the show. Hence the manual stating the longer intervals. Honda is trying to prolong the life of the fluid by replacing it with a Synthetic Dual Pump II, which may give it 30,000 miles, but I still doubt that 60,000 mile intervals are possible.

I replace the fluid in my CR-V on an annual basis, along with semi-annual caliper slider pins lubrication, and other maintenance items...
  • I just came from John eagle Honda in Houston with the news on the differential.
    Service knew the problem as soon as I descrebed it.
    Problem he said is a faulty design going back to at least '04,s. The contamination in fluid is METAL SHAVINGS.
    They flushed the differential in all gears with parking brake on per the service bullitan. I asked since this is a known problem since '04 if it has been corrected. He said he hasn't seen any new ones coming in. DUH!.
    Of course calling Honda customer service they do not claim any knowledge of the problem.
    I asked if this would have to be done at another 50,000 miles, and yes, "probably".
    If course my concern is metal shavings in a 50,000 mile car.
    Do you know of any class action lawsuits in the works?
  • cdamechcdamech Posts: 31
    I am up in Canada with Honda CRV 2006 AWD. I do not know of any class action lawsuite in the works but I think HONDA will finally wake up and do something about this since this problem is in 2005, 2006 and 2007. I suspect the same for 2008. Are you a lawyer or know someone who can start one.
  • All,

I just took delivery of a 2008 CR-V 4WD EX last Saturday (12/29/07). Vehicle is a 12/07 production date from the East Liberty plant. I've just made it through the break-in period (600 miles) this morning so keeping my fingers crossed and will be monitoring this thread on an ongoing basis. I'll also check with my dealer to see if they know about this and will report back.

Regards,
    David
  • inkieinkie Posts: 281
    In your research, Did you find out if the new fluid can be used in the older rear ends? Or will they discontinue the old dual pump and use the new for everything? Thanks