Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I beleive that the 1996 used a "self adjusting" cable. There is a spring-loaded self adjuster in the cable that constantly removes the slack from the system as you drive.

Unless this self-adjuster is not working, there is very little you can do to to make the clutch operation any better.
  • 99jetta99jetta Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Jetta 2.0 that is leaking coolant. I have replaced the T-stat/gasket but it is still leaking. Not enough for the light to come on and the reservoir is still above the full mark but I am about to go on vacation and want to avoid problems on the road. Any suggestions? The only repair place in town is the dealer and they can't get to it until after I leave for vacation so they referred me to Enterprise Rent a Car!
    Since you replaced the Tstat/gasket, I assume that you KNOW that it is leaking at that point. (why else would you replace it?)

So, what you need to do is to pick up some gasket cement (the kind that stays goopy forever... not the hardening kind) at an autoparts store. Then pull the Tstat cover again and put a thin coat of that gasket cement on BOTH sides of the gasket and re-assemble.

You will never have another leak at that point agian.
  • 99jetta99jetta Posts: 4
    I have just been told that the left rear motor mount on my 99 Jetta needs replaced. This car only has 70K miles on it. Has anyone else encountered this or know what would cause a motor mount to break this early?
  • The EPA reports that VW recalled more than 300,000 cars with faulty 02 sensors. Mine should have been one of them; my car fits the description in the EPA press release exactly.

But VW refused to cover the cost. I am writing to Customer Relations to see if they are willing to cover the recall repair. I'm posting this here in case anybody else has had this experience and is interested in my situation.

The link below is for the EPA press release:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/51b9e9efe0d25b3d85256b- 3e00634d10?OpenDocument
  • ianashianash Posts: 1
    There are plenty of reasons a motor mount could "go bad" depending on what your guy meant by "bad". It is subjectable to engine vibrations (or could be the cause of them). EIPtuning.com has a motor mount for 99 USD new that would be better than your stock mount was new. Shop around though, they shouldn't be that expensive. It would also help a lot to know what was wrong with your current mount. A minor repair at 70k miles isn't a sign of a bad car, either. I've put 173k on mine and have had to do much more work than that on mine :)
  • vwsalesnyvwsalesny Posts: 1
    When all keys are lost, your dealership will have to order one from Germany. Yes, the cost is high, because you will need to bring the car in for a service appointment, to re-set the theft deterent cutoff ignition. Do yourself a favor, and order at least two, so they can code the car and both keys at the same time.
  • dfurnierdfurnier Posts: 26
    Thanks for the reply. Wow, this is tough. I got a key that cranks the car from VW, but of course it won't run. I was going to load it on a trailer and take it to a dealer to get the chip programmed. However, with the key on, in neutral, and emergency brake off, I can't roll the car. Am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Doug, when my Jetta is in neutral (I have a five-speed manual transmission) and the parking brake is not set (off), it rolls. I don't know why yours doesn't. Sorry I can't offer any better insight there.

And following up on my post earlier: You will remember that the EPA had reported that VW recalled more than 300,000 cars with faulty 02 sensors. Mine should have been one of them (my car fits the description in the EPA press release), but VW had refused to cover the cost.

I wrote to Customer Relations to see if they were willing to cover the recall repair. I also sent a copy of my letter to the EPA. It was the copy to the EPA that got a response. EPA referred me to Jim Kamradt at VW, who has promised to reimburse me for the repair, but the check hasn't arrived yet.
  • So for those of you who haven't been following my saga since I bought two Jettas in 1999:

Yes, I have had some problems with these cars -- problems that you have read about on this board frequently, including the window regulators.

And yes, the dealer service leaves a lot to be desired in Austin, Texas if you own a VW ...

BUT the company has stood behind the product and with a little extra effort from me they've covered every problem I've had, even if the item affected wasn't under warranty.

My only maintenance costs for 120,000 combined miles (both cars) have been the routine service items.
  • krjekrje Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GLS and have replaced the O2 sensors about 5 times and also discovered that I have a bad cat converter. I have over 100K miles (highway) and this is obviously no longer covered under the warranty but it still makes me suspicious that I have had a bad CC all along and they just blaming it on bad O2 sensors.
    A bad O2 sensor can fool the computer into injecting too much fuel thus overwhelming the Catalytic converter causing it to burn out.
  • hi everyone - i'm new to the forum, so patience, please... i have done a few preliminary searches to see if my problems are local to me or pretty common across jetta owners. i have a 1999 jetta but the old body style... and its a wolfsburg.

here are my annoyances...
    1 - radio/stereo: recently wouldn't turn on. after pulling the fuse, turning off the car, and restarting it was fine.
    2 - radio/stereo: tends to go into safe mode whenever it feels like it. in the last 2 years, its happened at least 7 times.
    3 - radio/stereo: it has sucked in my tapes and not let go twice. the 1st time it held on to it for about 6 months and randomly spit it out. its happened again and though it hasn't been 6 months, it still hasn't given it back. both times it doesn't recognize its got it.
    4 - radio/stereo: the volume knob sometimes doesn't work - not my imagination -its happened to my friends driving my car.
    5 - front passenger window - it hasn't dropped into the door - but it does have a mind of its own. if you want the window to go up, it will go up part way but then go down. and vice versa. is this the same problem as the regulators everyone's posted about?
    6 - gas gauge: sometimes my gauge slowly shows i'm losing gas, even though i'm not. it slowly returns to read accurately, but is still annoying. this has happened a few times. the most recent time - it actually went from half to empty then back to half quite quickly (like it lost power or something)... and then repeated it again but more slowly. it only corrected itself when i filled the tank.
    7. bad rear sound like the shocks - saw someone else post about this - all is well in the back end per the mechanic, yet we still here it when going over rough terrain or dips. most prevalent when carrying weight in the back (trunk or passengers).

i'm worried that i'm starting too see the slow death of my fun car.

has anyone else experienced these problems? any advice on how to inexpensively fix them?

thanks in advance!
  • nancy3nancy3 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Jetta (3,000 miles) and it will not go into drive or reverse directly from park. You must go from park to your selected gear then back to park then back to gear before it will work. At that point, it often lunges into the selected direction!! Took it in for repair. Still doesn't work - gave me a printout from Volkswagen telling me to go through this routine each time it happen, which is every time. Have another appointment next Tuesday. Is anyone else having this problem????
    Your problem #5 is simply the anti-pinch safety feature kicking in. Check the rubber seal areound the window. I suspect it is 'grabbing' the window so tightly that it sometimes thinks there is somthing in the way of the glass so it reverses direction. To fix, use Gimmi Pfledge.
    http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer/Gummi/
  • What exactly goes wrong when you have a bad motor mount?? I think I may be having this problem and I have about 73,000 miles.
  • Hi There,
    Owner of a 99 1/2 Jetta GLS (new body style). I WAS the proud owner of a 95 Jetta GL which never gave me problems for 4 years other than the normal wear and tear. I thought since I had such great luck with my 95 that when the new body style came out in 99, I just had to have one. What a regrettable decision. I pray every night for my 95 back.

1) As everyone on this website, Not 1, not 2, but 4 window regulators broke.
    2) Greasy substance constantly leaking out of doors.
    3) Cup holders broke, coin tray in back seat broke, chrome shifter button falls off, Interior lining around windows peeling coming off, 2 circle like plastics on side of Coin tray pop off, ect...
    4) Sunroof replaced 2 times.
    5) Coolant leaks
    6) I also sometimes have problems with getting out of PARK. Gear Shift seems stuck. Have taken to dealer, they state no problem.
    7) Has 02 sensor changed due to ReCall.
    8) Check Engine Light on X 1year. Have taken in, Dealer states no problem and re-sets it...Comes back on in 3 days.
    9) Replaces both front shocks.
    10) My car is not modified or lowered. Black Plastics under wheel well have both ripped off. I don't even know when.
    11) CD Player works only when its in a good mood. Tape player stopped working about 1 year ago.
    12) AC system stopped working. Took to a Radiator/AC Auto Shop, its a electrical malfunction.
    13) Lastest problem is possible Motor Mount or drive shaft issues?? Its at a dealership right now.

Does anyone else feel my pain??? Does anyone have any suggestions??
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    How many miles are on your Jetta?
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    i had a 99 Jetta IV with a VR6. automatic. car was great for 30k miles. traded it in before it went south :)

only had one headliner problem - it grew mold! they replaced it entirely. oh, and the beige leather seats discolored - replaced as well.
  • cathy2cathy2 Posts: 8
    For second time, had my 2001 Jetta towed for above reason. Both times--faulty brake switch. I see others with this problem? Should this be a recall part? Second switch only lasted a year!!
    How does a parts recall work?

First time dealer repair cost $250, next went to local garage and told them problem (and only cost $60!!)

On a side note, someone told me I need my ATF fluid changed. I don't see this on routine maintenance. Anyone with thoughts?
  • cathy2cathy2 Posts: 8
    OK, a little more research shows there WAS a recall on this, apparently last April. VW is not good @ sending recall letters (I never got one), and the dealership I called yesterday said there was NOT a recall when I asked about this.
    Lessons learned.....
    There is info on the NTSB web site (clearly NOT on VW website) for those interested.
    Am I correct in assuming a brake switch and brake light switch are the same thing??
    I don't think I can get rid of this car fast enough.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    Getting rid of it...you may be jumping gun. I usually find other than buying a new car, selling one is the worst financial decision you can make (unless you're spending more repairing it than paying for a new car!!)

I think most VW warranty repairs are for 12K miles and 1 year. I had a thermostat switch go on a 97 A4 and it failed again a year later. I had gone 18K so they told me too bad.

I think there are various web site where you can 'sign up' and get informed of recalls for your vehicle...and reminders to do regular maintenance.

Maybe try shop around for another VW dealer to get your work done (if you like dealers to perform your maintenance).
  • juanfjuanf Posts: 2
    Hello All, I have a 99 GLS Jetta, and yesterday I was informed that the AC compressor is not working and tehrefore I do not hace AC. I would like to know two things:
    1) How much is to reapir the AC compressor
    2) Do you think that there is any relation between having my serpentine belt cracked and this problem with the AC compressor? Or what could have caused the damage to the AC compressor?
    Thank you for your help. I bought this car three months ago and I have already spent about $1,000 in repairs.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Did the car not come with a used car warranty? Most caome with at least a 30 day warranty.
  • juanfjuanf Posts: 2
    Nope. I bought it from a friend, and He is gone. I just received a quote from the dealr and the compressor is $680!! + $370 of labor. Un believable, Could anyone tell me what couls happen if I dont change the compressor? (besides being warm all day)

Thanks,
  • 71,000 miles. Bought July 1999.
    A lot of folks with an "older car" choose to not fix the AC when in craps out. Have you asked any other fix-it shops what they would charge? Perhaps the problem is NOT the compressor.

It is really your personal choice...what is it worth to you to have AC?

BTW the AC compressor at http://www.impexfap.com/partlist.cfm?getpart=8987&subcategory- - =72#part8987 is $375
  • We have had numerous non-engine problems with this vehicle, but the largest problem is the engine oil consumption. It burns 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles (since new).

It has had "deglazed" cylinder walls and new rings installed and it still burns oil at the same rate.
  • I can relate with some of the jetta problems that have been posted...especially to those with headlight problems. But here's my new problem:
        Last night I had to drive home from a friend's house without any headlights. I turned the switch to turn them on, and only my park lights would come on. Also, the indicator light saying my bright lights are on wouldn't go off...even though they weren't on at all. I couldn't get it to go off.
    I'm wondering if this is a fuse. I plan on taking it to the dealership on monday, but until then I'm hoping to get a simple solution. Can someone help?
  • mrjettemrjette Posts: 122
    I posted In TDI forum (Fuses #1293) about fuse #14 blowing in my '02 Jette GLS TDI. It controls the locks, interior lights, power windows, trunk motor, and supposedly the heated seats and mirrors and wiper nozzles (I don't really need those items in August). First, the dealer replaced the Comfort Control Module. It worked OK for 24 hours, then blew again. Next, they applied a wiring harness overlay under the driver's seat. This time, I got 3 days out of it and it has all blown again.

Any ideas on the best way to solve the problem? I am discouraged that I will be back for a third trip (actually the 5th warranty issue since August 3rd - 1 wheel bearing replaced; 1 set of rear brakes overhauled, 3rd trip on the electrical gremlin).