Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Gauges

We just bought a used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 33,000 miles on it. We drove it before we bought it and everything was fine. On the way home, the check engine light came on. We took it to the dealer since it is still under warranty and they said the code showed it was a random misfire and that the plugs needed to be changed. I took it to another place to have them changed and they said it cleared the code. Well I drove it all day today and everything was fine but once I got home the check engine light is back on again. Any one know what might be the problem or of any TSB's for this? I am going to take it back to the mechanic for diagnosics again in the morning.

Comments

• jophezjophez Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 cherokee limited and while I was driving the battery guage shot up to the max. My radio started flashing and everytime I turned on the heater the electrical system would seem to turn off completly then turn right back on. This all happened while I was driving. I noticed as the RPM's went higher the battery gauge would also go up. PLEASE HELP!!!
  • yerpyerp Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced and/or resolved this issue with the WK. For the last 6 months or so, my local dealership and I have been trying to resolved why my indicator lights, along with my needles blink out and lose power for about 2-3 seconds, then all blink back 'on' then go off one by one until everything looks normal again.

It used to do this about once every 1-2 weeks and the dealership has replaced the junction block, the front control module, the power distribution center module, and just recently replaced the entire instrument cluster. It still happens, just not as severly.

It's something that's gotten quite frustrating, not only for me but also the dealership as I'm sure they are sick of seeing me

Hopefully someone has found a solution?

Thanks
  • You are not alone my friend!! My wife's 05 Jeep Laredo is doing the same thing. Any day now we are going to drive this jeep straight through the dealership window. It will be going back for the 6th time (or is it 7 times now?...I lost track!) in the last 3 months for this gauge issue. The dealership has no clue what's wrong with it. The last thing that they replaced was the entire instrument cluster also. I forget the other things that were replaced and it STILL DOES IT!

Maybe we could share dealership names and then they can exchange info with each other to fix this for good. I'm in Niagara Falls, NY. My email address is Chade4u@hotmail.com.

Please write to me so we can get our dealerships to fix these pieces of crap. :mad:
  • I recently bought a new-used JGC. I was on a dirt road and my service 4x4 light came on. Since then, my miles per gallon has decreased from 16.6 to 14.3. I took it in this last weekend and the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it.
    Any ideas?
  • I was wondering if anyone out there may have had the same problem as I do? I have a 2000 JGCL and the check engine light keeps coming on I have had it back to the dealer going on 15 times and so far we have replaced the following
    Transmisson Cylinod
    02 Sensors
    Computer
    overdrive senser
    Ignition Switch
    and Valve Boby
    I have only paid for 3 of the times it was in and finally told them no more. but tonight the light came back on again so I am lost for words

Any ideas of what it could possible be?
  • shootshoot Posts: 4
    I BOUGHT A 2005 GRAND CHEROKEE/HEMI IN APRIL OF 2005 AND THE MOMENT I DROVE IT OF THE LOT THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON - AND NOW THE SERVICE 4WD LIGHT COMES ON EVERY SO OFTEN - THEY REMOVED THE MANIFOLD, FLASHED THE COMPUTER SYSTEM, REPLACED THE SOLENOID - I'VE TAKEN MY JEEP IN SO MANY TIMES AND PAID FOR SO MANY RENTALS AND SERVICE CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM - I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE GENERAL MANAGER OF THE DEALERSHIP AND HE PROMISED THEY WILL LOOK AT IT AGAIN AND BRING IN THE OUTSIDE EXPERTS - LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS - HOPE THEY DON'T JUST REMOVE THE LIGHT BULB :mad:
  • My brother's friend told me that JGC are always having problems with a wiring harness...If my light comes on again, I'm telling them to look at that. As he said, it's something that hasn't caused enough issues to have it recalled.
  • shootshoot Posts: 4
    I'LL MENTION THE WIRING HARNESS POSSIBLILITY TO THE SERVICE GUYS AT DAVID ELLIS JEEP AND LET YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME :)
  • Would be interested if you find an answer for this problem. Changed the battery, cleaned the battery cables, alternator is fine, not sure what the problem could be. :confuse:
  • Hey, the alternator isn't fine. Jeep's regulator is inside the alternator. The alternator will give a reading of being fine because the voltage coming from it is fine. But the amps being pushed are not fine. That is the mistake everyone is making, because they only test the alternator and forget Jeep has an interal regulator in the alternator. Once we changed the alternator haven't had any problems.

Change the alternator and I guarantee she will purr like a kitten. :)
  • Check the alternator. It will register the voltage just fine but jeep has the regulator built into the alternator. Check the regulator connections. Guarantee you the AMP will be low. Once we changed alternators we haven't had any issues. :)
  • blkjewelz,
    Did you have the same problem that we have with the gauge cluster?

The dealer just changed the ignition switch last week. So far it hasn't done it yet. Jeep is giving us an extended warranty for all of our troubles. That's the least they can do at this point. We did turn in the paperwork to New York's attorney general for the Lemon Law just to be on the safe side.
    :mad:
  • Ok here is the most recent update since the light came on this last time 2/15 they told me to drive it while the contact this traveling tech Guru to see if he will come out and look at my JGC. I get a call yesterday and they said he is going to look over the codes and see if he can figure it out as to why but he was leaning to having them take the remote start out out wire the vehicle back to Factory specs while they test it! Remote start installed through them by an outside guy of theres over a year ago.

We have already had it disconnected while we drove it and the light still came on.

I will keep you guy posted as to the outcome of my problem Maybe I will also have to mention the wiring harness and see what they say :mad:
  • Have a 96 grand cherokee and the interior lights flicker on and off and the doors lock and lock at the same time. This occurs more so when the temperature is cold. Any ideas?????
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may also want to check out Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that constantly reads "Low Coolant" on the display, although there is plenty of fluid in the radiator The dashboard temperature gauge reads normal while the jeep runs idle and the cabin heats up pretty well, but the gauge quickly bottoms out once I hit normal road speed and the cabin becomes an icebox. I have to stop every 30 minutes on long road trips just to thaw out because there is no heat unless I'm sitting still at idle.
    Any ideas?
  • johnk123johnk123 Posts: 1
    My 2000 Grand Cherokee is experiencing the same problem. Has anyone a solution?

Thanks
  • jeepny4ujeepny4u Posts: 3
    our dealer has replaced our ignition switch and it seems to have fixed it.....finally.