Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Not only the page is 666, the topic Meet the Members had 13 new messages when I opened it today... at least it's not Friday today...
    --kate (knocking on a wooden desk and hanging dried garlic all over her cube...)
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    changed the number on one of the buildings from 4 out of respect for our Asian customers.

Greg
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Reminds me of how supersticious Brazilians tend to be.

We're on 667 now, FWIW.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    We are? I'm still showing "that" page.

FWIW, I have no problem with 13 as my birthday's on 7/13 and I turned 13 on a Friday. I guess I've always considered it a good day. Probably because if I didn't I would be one deaply neurotic individual around my birthday every year! LOL!

-Ian

edit: Strange. Even though I was showing page 666 when I posted it put my message and the previous one on to page 667. Oh well.
  • Options
    outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    For what it's worth, we got our '03 Impreza because we like the bug eyes better than the new style. Viva la bugeyes o__o (attempt at ascii bug eyes)

I proposed on a Friday the 13th. We're getting married on a 13th. 13 has turned into a "lucky" number for me, so no negative superstitions here.

mnsteve: That's great that you do ski patrol work. You should visit UT, we've got a few hills here, too ;)

-utahsteve
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Motorola produces a model of its G4 processor with a clock speed of 667 mhz. The last generation of Apple titanium Powerbooks used it. At the time many who follow Apple speculated that it was clocked up on additional mhz to avoid the dreaded 666.
    TWRX
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Friday the 13th is even OK around here... it means payday, usually on the 15th, is 2 days early!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    was always my sports number throughout high school and university. You might suspect from my user name that it holds no negative meaning for me. I just noticed the post number!!!
    :-)

Ross
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Speaking of certain Asian superstitions about numbers, I too have heard of the dislike of the number 4 because the pronunciation is so close to the word for death. I think this is restricted to speakers of Cantonese, as this similarity doesn't occur in Mandarin, but I'm open to correction on this point.

In Hong Kong, you do not see 4th floors in buildings. In modern buildings they try to disguise this lack by designing a mezzanine level on the third floor with high ceilings, thus providing an excuse to skip to the 5th floor in their counting.

In giving gifts, you NEVER give four of something.

During the influx of Hong Kong immigrants to Canada when the return of Hong Kong to the Chinese was announced in the early 80's, there were stories of the newly arrived citizens in Toronto changing their own house street address numbers to remove any '4's, leaving postmen and other city officials scratching their heads.

This superstition also applies to good numbers as well. The cantonese for 8 (baht), rhymes with faht, which is the work for luck, good luck. So there is competition for addresses, phone numbers, car license plates, with the number 8 on them. Hong Kong used to auction off car licence numbers, I think the highest ever paid was for 8 or 88, or 888. If you see these numbers on a car in Hong Kong, it will most likely be a Mercedes or a Rolls, and you know the owner is an important person indeed.

Steve
  • Options
    I bet an Irishman with a 4 leaf clover might have a different opinion! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    667 MHz is really 666.66666.... MHz. Perhaps there's a conspiracy theory here, but I think they just round up to the nearest integer!

Craig
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    A four leaf clover is considered to be very lucky.

(from the resident Irishman.)

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Ken can jump in here on me if I don't get this right, but one of my Japanese exchange kids told me they have the same aversion to 4. This is one of the words in common between languages.

I read an article last year in Newsweek about cell phone distributors in China. The price is higher for a phone number with a high number of 8s, very low if it has many 4s.

Steve
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    <<number 4 because the pronunciation is so close to the word for death. I think this is restricted to speakers of Cantonese>>

The other dialect that 4 and death share that almost similar pronunciation is Fujian, I believe. The less refine name for that dialect name would be Hokkien.

8, 88, 888 on license plate...guilty as charged. :D

-Dave
  • Options
    just hit $3.80 CDN. for a gallon of regular, and before the wisecracks start about the value of a canadian dollar, remember that a dollar is still a dollar here.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    is that a US gallon (3.7854L) or an Imperial gallon (4.546L)? I'll bet it's the latter. If so, that works out to about $2.03 US per US gallon.
    :-)

Ross
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    $1.599 this morning for 87 octane, this afternoon it's $1.799 at the same station. Good thing I filled up this morning!

-Brian
  • Options
    toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    The price in my area ranges from $1.569 ( that's what I just paid) to $1.759 for 87 octane. Sound bites are being made about prices rising to $1.859 real soon now.

MNSteve
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Steve,

You're absolutely correct. The number four is disliked in Japan as well because it is a homonym for "death". However, it has been my experience that the Chinese (particularly in the Hong Kong area) have stronger superstitions around certain numbers.

True story, but I was in charge of naming a product of ours a few years ago. Our products followed a logical progression of numbers and the next one was the 4400. Not suprisingly, our Taiwanese office objected (no so much from Japan, though). We decided that superstition had no place in semiconductor test equipment and kept the number. The product has done well -- it's knocked off some of our competitors and has earned the joke name "double death". ;-)

A quick culture lesson, but much of the culture and language in eastern Asia originated from China. The pronounciation of many words are, as a result, very similar even to this day. The number 4 in Japanese can be pronounced "shi" which is virtually the same as death. I believe it's a little different in Chinese, but it starts with a "sh" sound nonetheless.

Ken
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    Bought it for $1.749 this afternoon .. driving out to eat we saw it anywhere from $1.569 to $1.799
  • Options
    It is an imperial gallon of course, but no matter how you measure it, it is bloody expensive, and as far as I am concerned there is gouging going on.

Every time there is an increase in crude there is an immediate increase in gas, now do'nt tell that there are not stockpiles bought at lower prices.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Brian: If that ain't gouging, I don't know what is... no way a 20 cent per gallon end-user jump could occur that quickly!

Both cars need gas... going to swing by Costco tomorrow to see what kind of a difference exists there. (It's right next to Home Depot...how convenient!)

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    Ken,

In Cantonese, "4" is pronounced like "say" in American English. In Mandarin, it is more of a "si", with a sibilant emphasis on the s, but much harder to describe.

I congratulate you on pushing away the superstition, and gaining success with the double death. I like it.

Steve
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Yep, that indeed was a hefty price swing. I believe some of the area stations started switching last night, this particular station waited until AFTER I filled up this morning @ 6am.

I believe they can price down as much as they want per day, but price increases can only happen once per day. 92/93 octane was going for $1.949-ish.

-Brian
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification Steve. I should have said an "s" sound rather than "sh". Isn't the Mandarin kind of a in-between an "sh" and "si" with teeth clentched?

Chinese is a tough language to pronounce with the 5-tones in Mandarin and 7-tones in Cantonese!

Ken
  • Options
    Your description is right, there is a small bit of an "sh" in there, but more of just the "s". Teeth clenched is right. Those s, z, and c sounds, (and the sh, zh and ch) are the hardest to pick up.

Sometimes Cantonese is described as having 9 tones, but I've never run across the last two.

I'm not a speaker by all means, let alone fluent (ha!), but I find great interest in both dialects and can understand some phrases and conversation. My wife and I found ourselves on a tour boat on the Li River in Guilin with a group of Japanese tourists for some reason. We had a great time comparing languages with an apple farmer on holiday with his buddies without any common language. Hardly got through the numbers, and a few other scattered words, but did recognize some similarities.

For the record, my wife is fluent in Cantonese, and I've had practical experience with the language while living in Hong Kong. Later I took formal classes in Mandarin, where I was accused of having a Cantonese accent. I'd like to learn Japanese, but have never had the time - not to mention I've never had an opportunity to visit aside from waiting rooms at Narita.

Steve
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Confusion reigns in our house also. Emily is taking Mandarin lessons thru the local Chinese Community Association. Beth and I alternate driving, and sit in on the class. The teacher has taught a 'body language' routine to help explain the different tones associated with a single character. Very confusing...

Then for added fun, we have our multiple exchange student 'daughters' from Japan, and our travels there. Beth took 2 years of Japanese at the local State University (SUNY New Paltz) to help keep up with them.

As for me, I am a total disaster at foreign languages. Made a miserable mess of French and Hebrew as a kid. Heck, have a hard enough time with English some days!

Steve
  • Options
    is asking the government to investigate the price increases. They feel the rate of rise is not justified.

Greg
  • Options
    Pat: ssshhh, they gotta deposit money in Colin's pension plan. ;-)

We should all get jobs with oil companies! LOL

$1.799 here and super is going for 2 bucks per. Ouch.

-juice
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Are soem of you familiar with "gasprices.com".
    example: www.washingtondcgasprices.com
    or the one I use: www.twincitiesgasprices.com

They are not for buying gas, but to just find the lowest price in your area.

In the DC area some stations are at $1.54 In Milwaukee $1.66 was the best price.

Many metro areas can be accessed in the US and Canada. Just go to one of the above sites or to gasbuddy.com and navigate from there.

Might help you save a buck or two...

--Jay
  • Options
    The Forester XT has the 2.5 with the active valve control. The numbers are 210 hp and 235 lbft. How do I know? Autoweek mag on line already has info including SOA's PDF document on it.

Trim level like XS. Premium package available but only with AT. Huh?

No price listed in the document.
    TWRX
  • Options
    SWEEEEET! Man, that is MONSTER torque! More than the WRX!

No moonroof with the 5 speed turbo, bummer. Wonder if it gets Shiftronic.

Nice catch.

-juice
  • Options
    Just read more of the release. It gets a sport gauge package and a 7 speaker system including a rear sub. The auto trans must be shoe kind of shiftable one. It is called "Direct Control" automatic. The 235 lb ft of torque maxes at 3600 RPM. Should be a riot off the line. May make the AT a better charger too I would think.

TWRX
  • Options
    I printed it and shared the highlighs under Future Models.

Ed should be in heaven right now - the Premium package comes *only* with an automatic, though black leather might get a bit hot in the summer.

-juice
  • Options
    I can't get the smile off my face! I'm so psyched!

Times like this you realize this is a MAJOR turning point for Subaru. We'll talk about before today, and after today. It's the end of the innocence.

My only hope is that Subaru can maintain its character. That the current owners stay in the fold. That they give Patti a huge bonus for spending this long in the dungeon! ;-)

Seriously, Subaru will now shed it's quirky practical image and gain a new one of performance leadership. The STi led to the Forester XT, which will lead to a Baja Turbo, which will lead to a giant-killer Legacy.

Let the good times roll!

-juice
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    aww who needs track time anyway? I'd be content just to spool around the auto-x and rally-x courses in that forester!
  • Options
    Loosh in a Forester! Whoo-hoo!

Ken
  • Options
    That would be a pretty major conquest sale. :-)

Now, the real question is, who will get one first? Ed in a XT Premium? Frank? You? Me?

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    one of you guys better buy one soon, because I am maxxed out on cars! We need firsthand owner reports and pictures! Somebody please dive in!

Craig
  • Options
    Being on a relatively tight pension I will probably be last, have to keep the Titan for 8 more years although I will be happy to that, now if I get a lottery win things will change the Titan would get company :)

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    same boat. Just starting Social Security this month. No extra big bucks for a new(er) Subaru. Would like an H-6 for that extra oomph to get around some of these stupid Minnesota drivers. But need the 5 spd to tow behind the motor home. Of course, if gas prices keep on ratcheting up we're not going far with the motor home.

Corner gas station (BP-Amoco) went from $1.569 to $1.759 this morning.

MNSteve
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Numerology...in Hebrew, each letter is also a number; ex> the word (transliterated) chai (the "ch" pronounced like your coughing up phlegm!) means life and the number 18, made p of the letters chet (8)(same pronunciation as above, easy to do when you're sick!), and Yud (like hood) 10; thus, at weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc, people will give presents that are multiples of 18.
    As to frequency of Steves, Daves, etc, I AM THE ONLY SERGE !!!

L'CHAIM ! (To Life)...remember that song from Fiddler On The Roof?
  • Options
    Well, my wife's unhappy with the small niggling problems we've been having with our VW Jetta. We've had O2 sensor problems, an accessory belt go prematurely and a leaky coolant hose. She's fed up with VW customer service and the dealer and is seriously considering a different make.

I'm trying to push her towards a Legacy L SE sedan (AT). We could trade in our Jetta, get a basic Legacy L SE sedan and still end up with about the same balance on a car loan.

What do you all think? Should I wait until there are more new product announcements? The SE is very well equipped, however.

Ken
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    The idea is not to "shed it's quirky practical image" but to add the performance image and capture another demographic group. What's really good about it is that there's not much cannibalization. If one of us quirky folk gets a performance Subie, it doesn't hurt Subaru.

Jim
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Inside of 1 month my SVX goes from the most powerful Subie ever sold in America to just mediocre. I guess it's 12year run was a good one though. And it still is likely the fastest(top end) subie sold here :) Hmm, how much is that turbo for it again? 330hp...

-mike
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    depends on your priorities. Bearing down on a new model year, the LSE is going to be a bargain, especially with the financing available. Anything new (and potentially more powerful) is going to be more money. I guess it depends how much she likes cars...
  • Options
    I might wait a little longer. First, the newer models might command a higher price. Second, it's obvious Subaru is serious about the performance image. I expect we will see more of these announcements in the next 2-3 years. I guess it comes down to financially secure moves and emotion.

Greg
  • Options
    Gas jumped up 6 cents and premium is now $2.059 in Potomac. I'm glad we didn't buy that Expedition! :-)

Ken: I wouldn't blame her if she did prefer the L/SE, even when the turbos arrive, for its sheer value. fitzmall.com has them for just $18,773 (sedan, auto).

Too far? Nah. Fly one way, hang with us for a weekend, then drive cross-country like WDB did that time. :-)

My wife liked her V6 (just as yours has a VR6), but we had the same problem - more hassles than it was worth. In fact the only thing we'd even consider doing different is perhaps getting an auto because its the family car.

But no wagon, eh? If you already have a stroller, take it with you to the dealer. Seriously, put it in the trunk, then in the wagon, just showing her that may change her mind.

A Legacy turbo will cost at least $8 grand more and will require premium fuel, cost more to insure, etc. Your ownership costs would increase 40% or so.

mike: you can still enjoy the many little things that you have that even the STi and VDC don't.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    For one thing no car payement and 245width tires :)

-mike