Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was thinking all the lit buttons, lit key ring, guages, etc.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    And the comfy ride and seats :)

-mike
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    OK, I'm coming from left field here.
    When is Subaru going to light up the lock/unlock button. All I know is it is north of the power window 'AUTO'. Other than that, you can't see a thing in the dark especially with black interior.

-Dave
    Bob beat you to it and asked for those things a while back.

I'd rather have a turbo gauge, 'cause that would mean an actual turbo was under the hood! :-)

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    A good chunk of it is about emotion right now. My wife's just pissed off at VW, the dealer and the car (must be a pregnancy thing). From my perspective, I'd much rather have her driving a Subie, BUT it could potentially delay my getting a new vehicle (not a good thing).

We still have about $6K left on the Jetta. Resale for our model is around $10-13K. We could potentially be in the same boat (if not better due to better financing now) with an LSE.

She does like the VR6 torque but at the same time, she also doesn't like how the Jetta commands premium fuel and gets only about 19-20mpg around town. I think the Legacy would do better in that respect. Her big thing was solid brake feel. Our previous Camry had non-confidence inspiring brake performance and she also was in spin-out accident on the freeway with it.

A wagon would indeed be more pratical. Kana's been thinking about moving up to a bigger vehicle after the baby comes so it just might be time. I was hoping to move her into an H6 model, however.

If only SOA could announce the next-gen Legacy a little sooner, this all might be a little clearer for us.

Ken
    Pregnant women deserve the right-of-way. Don't even argue with her, it's lose-lose. If she wants to trade in the VW, start shopping. Trust me. ;-)

As much as I love my Forester, I have to admit that with 2 kids the Legacy is more comfy. Take your stroller and car seat with you when you go shopping.

This is funny - my wife just asked what I wanted for Valentine's Day (also the 14th anniversary of our first date), and I said "cordless drill". She asked, "powerless grill?" LOL

-juice
    Well, if it means getting her into a Subie and it doesn't have a major impact on me getting my next vehicle, then I'm all over it!

You guys have a 5-speed L right? I would have to get an AT for Kana.

Hey, I'm shopping for a cordless drill too. What are you looking at 18V? A buddy of mine showed me an review of cordless drills in some homebuilder magazine and a 14.4V Panasonic model came out top. I think it used NiCad batteries instead of NiMh.

Ken
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    The 18V models are nice, and very powerful. But, they are heavier and bigger too, and can be cumbersome in tight areas. I have an 18V Ryobi that is real nice, but I also have an older 12V model that is good to have too (smaller, much lighter, fits in tighter spaces). In fact, sometimes I use both drills, one for drilling and the other for driving screws. Very convenient.

If you want to drive decking screws or equivalent, get an 18V. For anything else, I think 12V or 14.4V is more than adequate. Make sure you get two batteries with whatever drill you buy -- it is a must for extended projects. I think most drills come with two batteries nowadays.

Craig
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    If you are doing a lot of screwing with your drill get one of these:
    http://makita.com/Cordless_Item_View.asp?id=244

I love mine. Great torque, light, nice sensitive trigger. NiMh.

bit
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Once baby comes, your priorities WILL change dramatically, trust me... You'll want things SAFE and not-so-expensive. Baby is a big toll on the budget, even though it may not feel so now.

I'd recommend to get an inexpensive Legacy wagon. Wagon is a must, with all baby gear to load. Also, wagon gives a more roomy feel and more air around. I found kids don't get carsick in wagons as often. Try several Legacies, get one with the smoothest acceleration and the most confident brake feel.

Babies also tend to spit in the car. Although some recommend leather for easier cleaning, I'd personally prefer to go with inexpensive upholstery and then professionally shampoo it when baby's spitting period is over. When dirt/spit gets into the cracks on the leather, it's very hard to get it out and get the car clean again.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Go for the wagon, I personally will never own a sedan again, every time I see somebody outside a store unloading stuff from its packaging to squeeze it into a sedan I think to myself if you had a wagon you would not have to do that.

The L/se is a hell of a bargain, you get a lot of the stuff that was on the GT for practically little money, including alloy wheels.

As far as drills go, I do a lot of woodworking, so my drills get a lot of work, the best all around drill for regular use is a 12 volt, and the best make I have found is still Makita, I also own Hitachi and De Walt, the Makita holds a charge for longer periods than Hitachi and DeWalt.

My old 9.6 volt Makita I have had for about nine years and I am still using one of the origional batteries, and it still holds a good charge.

Cheers Pat.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    << All I know is it is north of the power window 'AUTO'>>

I'm STILL trying to get used to finding the door lock switch in my wagon.

<<...every time I see somebody outside a store unloading stuff from its packaging to squeeze it into a sedan I think to myself if you had a wagon you would not have to do that. ..>

Sometimes I come very close to actually saying it.

-Dennis
    Is the font twice as big as it was.

Cheers Pat.
    I think the Legacy L/SE wagon has got to be the best deal out there, and it looks real sharp with the standard alloy wheels. That or a 2.5GT wagon would be my choice if I had to start over with cars and had a kid on the way.

Over on the NASIOC forums, someone mentioned that the power lock button on the 02-03 Impreza (also the 03 Forester) actually has the ability to be illuminated (the graphics are transparent). There is a place for an LED and an extra (unused) connector for the wiring. Apparently, you can cram an LED in there rather easily, and tie it into the power window illumination. It may be illuminated on the Forester, I can't recall, but it definitely is not illuminated on my WRX.

I'm going to install new speakers in my WRX over the next few days, and will try to verify what it looks like around the lock switch.

Craig
    Craig-
    If a LED is not possible, see if there's room to run fibre-optic lines from the "AUTO" light.

What speakers are you installing?

-Dave
    I got Rockford Fosgates 2-ways -- 6.5" front, 4" rear. From what I have read, I will need to fabricate spacers for the fronts, but the rears will slip right in (apparently you can get 5.25" speakers in back with a spacer and some metal cutting, but I hardly hear the rears from the driver's seat so I figured 4" was fine).

My brother just put these speakers in his car, and raves about them. That's the main reason I went with that brand -- I have a data point! But, I think any good speakers would have to be an improvement over the stock WRX cones. They really sound flat.

Craig
    Rockford Fosgates... got to check it out.
    Will have to agree. The OEM speakers are flat.
    I'll be looking into MP3s soon. It's like, 6 CDs aren't cutting it anymore for me.
    Let us know how the mod goes. :D

-Dave
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I am still using my 6yr old 9.6v Craftsman unit because of its more compact size and lower weight. While I would love more power, the big units have too many drawbacks. Buy one with two gear ranges (like 0-300 for screws, 0-1200 for drill bits) - really adds to the versatility.

I recommend getting drill bits with hex shaft adaptors to match the driver bits, and a quick change unit to lock into the chuck. Then you can drill pilot holes and drive screws in rapid succession. For big jobs, this is a real time saver.

Steve
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I know I'm probably not supposed to enter THIS discussion ...
    About 20 years ago, my family had moved into a new house ... my mother was visiting and watched me install mini blinds in about 20 windows with nothing but a screwdriver because my (then) husband couldn't go out and get his drill off the work truck for me to use (and he sat in the recliner watching tv while I installed the blinds). Although he had a truckful of tools, the screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, etc out of MY tool drawer would disappear because it was 'easier' to find mine! The following Christmas I got a Black and Decker drill from my parents. After I opened it, my mother looked at him and said, "If that drill disappears, she's getting a CHAIN SAW next Christmas!" (I still have that drill ... lol)

I also have a story that involves 2 women, a waterbed repair, and a power screwdriver if you ever want to hear it ...
    Yeah, ours is a 5 speed. I prefer it, but I'll admit during those 10 hours in traffic over last Thanksgiving, we both wished we'd gotten an automatic (for the family car).

Put a blanket or something under the car seat as a liner. Actually, though, it's the car seat itself that usually gets dirtiest.

NiCads are old tech, it really rated best? Consumer Reports had a similar test, I think they also liked the 14.4V models because they were light and useful enough for the types of duties most folks do (myself included).

So Brenda, you kept the hard-working drill and left the lazy husband? Good choice.

-juice
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    http://www.americanwoodworker.com/woodworkers_library.html

Go to Buyer's Guides / Cordless Drills
    I wish there were a good way (other than a cassette adapter or an RF adapter) to hook up an iPod to the WRX stereo (or the stereo in our other Subarus, for that matter). I have seen some radios with input jacks, which would be great. The iPod is about the best solution I have seen, since you can use it in so many different ways and it holds so much music (ours holds 2000 songs). Easy to sync/transfer music from a computer too.

The MP3 head units I have seen only allow you to play MP3 files that have been burned onto a CD-R. It holds about 200 songs in a lower quality mode, but it's not that useful to me.

Craig
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    not to interrupt the drill discussion... ;-)

quote: She does like the VR6 torque but at the same time, she also doesn't like how the Jetta commands premium fuel and gets only about 19-20mpg around town. I think the Legacy would do better in that respect.

I disagree, Ken. I doubt the Legacy will get any better gas mileage around town. On the highway it is unlikely as well. Even though the legacy has a four cylinder, it's low-tech (sad, but true) and nearly the VR6's displacement, plus the vehicle is at least as heavy. I'm sure the EPA mileage estimates agree with my reasoning, too. :-D

-Colin
    I used to get 22 around town in my H4 Outback with a 5-spd. When my commute added some hwy miles, this went up to 24. But 60% was still city driving.

Craig
    Colin,

Maybe not around town, but the best we've ever gotten on the VR6 was 22mpg and that was with 100% highway miles. I think what makes the gas milage more evident is the fact that the gas tank on the Jetta was sized for a smaller displacement engine. The range on that vehicle is on the short side. It is a fun vehicle, though.

Now, I haven't driven an auto Legacy on the highway so I have no direct basis for comparison, but I typically get 25-26mpg with my 5-speed Forester.

The VR6 is also of a fairly old engine design, IIRC. It's been around for quite some time.

Ken
    A Mac buddy showed me his iPod. That thing rocks. A 6CD changer can hold about 120 songs, his iPod, the cheapest model, holds 1000+! The FM thing looked cool, and the cassette adaptor is cheap. They're about to drop the price to $200 for starters.

We don't do exclusive in-town driving, but my wife does commute on the Beltway in the city with the 2nd or 3rd worst traffic in the country. She still manages to average about 25mpg with suburban errand running mixed in.

Actually, the nice thing about it is the gas tank is a gallon bigger than the Forester. Doesn't sound like much, but hers comfortably lasts a week and mine doesn't.

Drills, torque, it's all on-topic.

Great chat. I felt bad for Brenda, who had a slow connection. Wait, did I just use "Brenda" and "slow" in the same sentence? ;-)

-juice
    ken--

the VR6 and EJ series are about the same vintage. they're both non-VVT four valve OHC. one's 2.8L, the other 2.5L. one's a small inline six (if it has one cylinder head, it ain't a v6 to me!) and the other is a pretty big four, but due to boxer configuration short on stroke.

no wonder the VR6 makes more torque. the EJ25 isn't in the same state of tune though, to be fair. it's built for an outback / forester, foresaking the delicious burst that is high rpm power. ;-)

by low-tech I was referring to the absence of variable valve-timing, coil-on plug ignition, variable intake tract length (hmm, actually the VR6 may have it come to think of it), high resolution ignition mapping, etc.

-Colin
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    The VR6 is a very interesting design and the foundation for the w12. The low angle V (15 degrees?) allows the intake and exhaust to remain on opposite sides but still shortens the engine by moving the cylinders closer together. It really is almost an inline.

My Legacy (5 speed) gets a consistent 24 mpg on mixed driving. I recall the EPA rating to be very close between the manual and auto.

Jim
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Judy has just delivered a cup of tea to me and read over my shoulder. She really wants to know about the two women, a screwdriver and a waterbed.

For complicated reasons, we own two waterbeds, one a soft sided queen sized bed that we bought in Australia in the 1980's and a 6'x7' hard sided bed we acquired in the UK in the 90's. Judy is the only 5'6" woman in the world who can touch each corner of the big bed and capture every inch of the doona as well, so we kept both. We now sleep in both, when we want to sleep!

The kids, and their mates, think it is great as they have all practised surfing on the big bed from toddlerdom. I get a bit annoyed at never being able to climb into tidy sheets but figure the trade-off of bouncing kids, is worth it.

The dog also does not mind. We slipped seamlesly from "No dogs on the furniture!" to "Do not climb under the doona!" without any apparent interruption. She assures us that Pharoah Hounds were allowed to sleep in warm soft spots 5,000 years go and it is a well known birth-right of the species. I am not inclined to argue.

No relevance at all to Subarus, but family life is good.

Cheers

Graham
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Graham,

Always good to hear from you. Not being native US, I also strive for that ephemeral quality of life which seems so distant, here.

VR6: there&#146;s something wrong (tire pressure under 35psi?) if you do not get reasonable mileage. I even get 26-28 mpg on my V6 Passat 4Motion on the highway &#150; more on some occasions.

VVT: Actually, both the modern VR6 and W12 have VVT.

- D
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I picked up a nice JVC MP3 Single-Din Headunit for the SVX pictured http://isuzu-suvs.com/svx/guages/index.htm I like it for $177 shipped cause it holds about 15 CDs worth of music and sounds excellent. While not as sophistocated as some other units it gets the job done, also has an input on the face for mini-jack.

-mike
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Re: personal tool box - I've got the same problem! In the garage, HE has four tool boxes (one is 4'x 6'!) that contain just about every tool known to man...and more than one set of each! BUT, when it comes to the house, my teensy tool box with the essentials needed for most simple repairs is always being absconded...and guess where I usually find it? Yep, in the garage.

Other than that, he's a keeper. :-)

And as for cordless drills, my Makita has been great.

AND...Happy Valentine's Day to the Crew!
    Colin: the VR6 has one head, but two camshafts, and it's not truly a DOHC (though VW calls it that), it's one cam per bank AFAIK. So it's not an in-line either.

The V6 in the Passat 4Mo is completely unrelated to the VR6, so mileage on that has nothing to do with a VR6 in a Jetta.

Actually, I find it incredible how many powertrains VW group has. They should drop the 2.slow and use the normally aspirated 1.8 engine (minus the T) and their base engine. Then there is the 1.8T in varoius states of tune, the TDI, the VR6, the small V6, the big V6, the twin turbo V6, the V8, the W8, the W12, it's just crazy.

In Brazil, they also use 1.6l and 1.8l engines in the Golf and Gol/Parati, plus a "mille" 1.0l engine. Plus a Mille 16V, and a Mille Turbo. Like I said, crazy. I'm sure there are many more, too.

Subaru will have some overlap, too, the new 2.5T, the WRX 2.0T, and the H6 all make similar power.

-juice
    because we got back late from the pediatrician. Seems that Emily's case of the 'flu' last week may be Lyme Disease instead. She has painful joint swelling (especially her knees), etc. Started a course of antibiotics, took lots of blood to check out a number of possibilities, X-rays today. One very unhappy kid. Needless to say, mom & dad are feeling a little low about it as well....

Steve
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    How in the heck do you get Lyme disease when the high temps are in the 20's F?!?!

-Dennis
    Poor kid, that's a tough one. My father-in-law had that last year, he thinks he got it from a deer tic. :-(

Give her a little extra TLC and be patient, it takes a while to cure.

-juice
    The joint swelling is 'second stage' from a bite she may have gotten months earlier. Heart and neurological damage could follow if not properly treated.

Steve
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Have been in Puerto Rico on business all week, don't miss the nasty cold and snow even though inside all day.

I'm still trying to absorb the news of the Forester XT but I'm generally happy about it.

Following the discussion of Asian number superstitions actually helped clarify something for me. When I lived in South Carolina, my license plate number was OTP 888. Not on a Mercedes or Rolls but a VW Jetta. Asian people always either wanted to buy the plate from me or considered me very fortunate. In PA now it's 4897 - big deal.

Lots of catching up to do...

Ed
    Did you rent a car? I'm curious if you got anything not for sale in the US.

Just "generally happy"? They custom built that thing for you. It should be called the Forester Lark Edition. Big displacement turbo, auto only with the Premium package? You're a lucky duck.

OK, no VTD or shiftronic, but then again those would push the price a grand or two higher if it did get them.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I sat out the CHAT last night to watch "Survivor" on TV. Why, you might ask, would I do such a thing?

Well, it turns out two of the contestants have roots to my town here in Maryland, Ellicott City. One "lives" there, and the other "lived" there.

As luck would have it, the guy who "lives" there was the first to be kicked off!

Bob (who is beginning to feel like Rodney Dangerfield...)
    You jinxed him, maybe?

You did miss an active chat, though we had some board lag and lots of blooping.

-juice
    juice,

there is an 18-degree "vee" between the "banks" of three cylinders. there is one cylinder head, and it really is dual overhead cam. as you might expect with just one cylinder head, it has all the intake ports on one side and exhaust on the other.

everything is perfectly normal for an inline six, all they've really changed is to make the engine shorter front-to-back by means of the innovative 18-degree "vee" instead of simple end-to-end cylinder bores.

-Colin
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    juice: Nissan Sentra GXE. Nothing to write home about. Reminds me of my old Jetta in that I have to turn off the A/C to accelerate quickly. It does have a storage bin top and center in the dash, like our Foresters.

Yes, no VTD and Shiftronic is a disappointment but maybe not a huge one. I'll definitely drive the XT and WRX wagon back-to-back before my next purchase, but from the point of view of utility, cargo space and appearance, the Forester gets my nod. The WRX will be the better handler but will that trump all, especially with the Forester's torque?

Should be a fun decision to make. I only have 8K miles on the 17"s, which are off my car for the winter: maybe they'll go on a new XT?

Ed
    As I understood it, VW called it a double over head cam because technically both camshafts are above the cylinders. But I was under the impressions it behaved like a SOHC V6 in that each cam controlled a different bank of cylinders.

Normally I'd take your word for it, but I'm pretty sure about that. Maybe I'll ask in a VW topic.

I would definitely transfer the Super Leggeras.

-juice
    The 12-valve VR6 is SOHC, but it looks like it's DOHC because the two cam shafts over each bank is pretty close to each other.

The new 24-valve VR6 is a DOHC model.

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/tech_engine_pack- aging.htm

I have my front tire pressures on the Jetta up at 34psi (it's pretty front-end heavy). 22-23mpg is pretty close to it's EPA estimate.

Ken
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Great article on the VR6.

Coleman has come out with a very inexpensive line of cordless drills. Anyone know much about them? I'm considering one as a back-up.

My primary drill is a 20 year old corded Makita which, of course, works perfectly.

And no, I have no plans of drilling holes into my Subie.

Jim
    If I were buying now it would probably be the XT, just for the extra go mind you.

Cheers Pat.
    Inexpensive is the operative word, IMHO. you generally get what you pay for, my advice is always buy the very best you can afford you wo'nt regret it, and still the best as far as i am concerned personally is Makita.

Cheers Pat.
    Group buy on cordless drills!

Interesting how it seems like the folks here like Makita. My friends at work swear by DeWalt.

Ken
    I have Makita, Hitachi, and De Walt, I like the Makita best the batteries hold a charge longer than the the other two, I have had a 9.6 volt Makita for nine years now and I am still using one of the origional batteries, this drill has been used a lot.

Cheers Pat.