Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    hmm I thought I saw #s a lot higher than that.
    Their running gear is different, larger sways on the WRX, not sure about the brakes and shocks and springs though.

Also we aren't talking RS->WRX we were talking a near-SUV-like Forester v. STi, why then does the STi get larger brembo brakes, sways, springs, struts, etc. IMHO if you are gonna "upgrade" your Forester to STi output one should upgrade more than just the output of the engine.

-mike
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Woot! Project STi forester! Who'll gimme the money?
  • Options
    If you get someone to put up the money, I'll help with the labor, just let me track it a few times :)

-mike
  • Options
    Around here it's classed as an SUV and therefore barred from a lot of club events.
  • Options
    i dunno, you can auto-x it, I doubt they would ban you from a track with it, especially if it were lowered a bit.

-mike
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    If you're going to mod a XT or Baja Turbo to STi levels of output, then sure, you need to upgrade brakes, tires, sway bars, plumbing, etc., not to mention the driver ;-)

I'm not looking for an XT STi. I think I'll be pleasantly surprised with the XT out-of-the-box. I figure I'd keep it 'stock' for a few years and then perhaps begin improving some parts, but not to STi output. Who knows - by then they could actually have an XT STi.

-Brian
  • Options
    I'm sure auto-x wouldn't be a problem; but most club track events have by-laws that specifically prohibit light trucks and SUVs. I thik it could be a major pain convincing the stewards otherwise. Hell, I had trouble getting the OB in 2 years ago, and it's a wagon! All that rugged off-road marketing really colored the steward's opnion of the vehicle....he just assumed an OB was a trucklet.
  • Options
    Well I haven't seen one not be allowed to run, but I haven't seen anyone try to run one yet...

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    As I suspected, we may see wider use of the 210 HP turbo in the next Outback, so says Subie big chesse. Also tidbits about the '05 Legacy and Saabaru.

http://www.subdriven.com/artman/pub...rticle_27.shtml

Bob
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Cannot get into your link keeps telling me the page is unavailable.

Cheers Pat
  • Options
    Try this.

http://www.subdriven.com/

Then go to NY Auto Show.

Bob
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Bob that link worked a treat.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Naw, man, they've got to dinstinguish the Legacy GT from the Outback. Make the Outback H6-only, let the GT get the turbo engines, in several guises. Maybe a 210hp GT, a 260hp GTS, and a 350hp STi.

-juice
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    in less than a year, sube has 3 engine choices for US
    2.0L 4 Turbo
    2.5L 4 turbo
    3.0L 6 Turbo

It would so unfair, if they don;t dump one of these on legacy GT with the styling shown on apex.com
  • Options
    http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_gmsubaru_cuv

subaru is doing the engineering.....GREAT !
    But it slipped from 05 to 06 ?
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    That's a little puzzling to me since SoA has said that it is no longer a joint-venture with GM.

SIA is longer a joint venture either. It is now Subaru Indiana Automotive. Unless that doesn't take effect until sometime down the road.

-Dennis
  • Options
    Isuzu sold it back on Jan 1 to FHI/SOA. So they do have some facts out of whack, seems like really old info IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Yea! Subaru INDIANA Automotive. Buy more Outbacks, Bajas, Legacys! But Toyota Tundras and Siennas! Support the Hoosier economy.

A shameless plug from a Hoosier taxpayer!!!

Heh,Heh

TWRX
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I already have a car built in Indiana...and it's not a Subaru. ;-)

Ed
  • Options
    Bring back Studebaker! ;-)

I bet my wife would like that monster SUV concept, LOL.

The SUW is slated for calendar year 2005, probably model year 2006, so both could be right. Can't wait to see it though.

-juice
  • Options
    I mentioned last week that I think there will be those who will cross-shop these two (at least those not sold on the benefits of AWD), since they're priced and sized so closely.

Here are the major specs from the Legacy and TSX brochures. There are some remarkably similar figures. Also, since we know the up-coming new Legacy will larger than the current model, all the more relevant. Paul Hansen has mentioned shorter overhangs and wider (track & width) for the new model. Keep those in mind when comparing these figures.

I have listed the comparisons thusly: Legacy GT sedan/TSX, and all measurements are in inches or cubic feet.

Length: 184.4/183.3
    Wheelbase: 104.3/105.1
    Width: 68.7/69.4
    Height: 55.7/57.3
    Front Track: 57.5/59.6
    Rear Track: 57.5/59.6
    Tires: 205-55x16/215-50x17
    Wheels: 16x6.5/17x7
    Curb Weight (manual): 3365/3230
    Curb Weight (auto): 3420/3329

Front Legroom: 43.3/42.4
    Rear Legroom: 34.2/34.2
    EPA Interior Volume: 91.4/91.0
    EPA Cargo Volume: 12.4/13.0

Engine Displacement: 2.5/2.4
    Horsepower: 165@5600rpm/200@6800 rpm
    Torque: 165@4000 rpm/166@4500 rpm
    Redline: 6200 rpm/7100 rpm

Bob
  • Options
    The GT's torque is 166 I believe, same as the Acura's but at lower rpms.

It's a shame the XT and Baja engine won't make it into the GT for 2004 models. Most customers are suckers for power and would buy the TSX I bet. Unless it's raining or snowing.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Uh folks.... that article was dated April 2002! Not 2003. This is the OLD story before Subaru went off on its own.

Everyone feel a little better now? ;-)

Elliot
  • Options
    Yes, and I heard the entire Crew's collective sigh of relief! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    If you look even closer, the article was dated April 1st!!!! 2002

;-)

Ross
  • Options
    Folks, sorry did not mean to stir the pot....did not realize this was that old.
  • Options
    get additional tarted up WRX models (leather, moonroof & SportShift). I wonder how long before we see a WRX SportShift here? I say for MY05!

http://www.subaru.co.nz/news/index.html?id=498

http://www.subaru.com.au/promotions/?promoid=5

Bob
  • Options
    1. STI priced at 31k........see media.subaru.com

2. interesting comment in CR about WRX that AWD makes it a safer sports car compared to other sports cars.

3. other than that, ratings are far from top for Subaru models......see how low forester rating is now, below Santa Fe ????????
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Having driven a Legacy GT wagon with it, I like it a lot - it lets those of us with bad knees row our own once in a while. I know the WRX and Forester have had it in other markets for some time now and again, it's lost on me why it's not available on those cars in the US right now. For the Baja it's easy enough to divert Legacy GT drivetrain parts to that production line.

Patience, patience...

Ed
  • Options
    True Ed. I bet if we buy an auto XT, the very next model year Subaru will tweak it for 230hp, give it VTD, sportshift, and drop a grand off the price!

-juice
  • Options
    Saab says it will NEVER sell the WRX-based 9-2 in Europe, stating lack of potential market. What a bunch of BS. More likely the reason is they don't like having a Saab with the heart and soul of a Subaru.

http://www.autonews.com/newsletters/display.cms?id=5185

Bob
  • Options
    Let them go bankrupt, then.

Hooey, anyhow, the 9-3 is already a rebadged Malibu. They sold out years ago.

Watch, they'll eat their words when the 9-2 becomes their best seller (by far) in the US, boosts their reliability ratings, and improves their image.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I wondered how true Saab-ites would react to the 9-2 news. I guess I can sympathize with them, I'd feel the same if it happened to Subaru.

-Brian
  • Options
    has some interesting comments on a recent drive of the Japanese-spec STi. It's the second topic from the top (2003/04/18: STi 8 - production car driving impressions and handling thoughts).

http://www.apexjapan.com/

Bob
  • Options
    wouldn't anyone pick OBS over matrix, for a 1kor 2k more, you get so much more money.....i see so many matrix but not OBS.....i have a feeling sube will stop making OBS.

CR ranks matrix/vibe as oone of the best, but won't even mention OBS ! Sad.....
  • Options
    I priced a Vibe AWD, it actually costs more than the OBS, by about a grand. Plus it's 123hp vs. 165hp, no contest.

But most come in FWD, by far, and sell for about a grand less, typically.

-juice
  • Options
    http://www.subaru.co.jp/impreza/15i_navi/

why is the US always a last spot for subaru....see this one
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Most companies are now offering some sort of navigation system in their cars. I've said it befroe, but it would be nice to see a system offered by Subaru - especially since SOA touts the Subies as go anywhere vehicles.

Mark
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not that familiar with OnStar, other than after the first year honeymoon, you'll have a monthly charge if you want to continue with the service.

It doesn't have the "screen" that one associates with a NAV system.

Bob
  • Options
    I prefer the Jag's headlights, but the Soob design is better overall.

-juice
  • Options
    kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    Personally, I'd be embarassed to call OnStar every time I got lost. At that rate, I might as well just pull over and ask someone who knows the area. I want the Nav because I have a terrible sense of direction and I don't like asking people for directions.
  • Options
    i have used it in my brother-in-law's car( Acura MDX). it was awesome.........I am addicted to it now......that makes my choice very difficult for next car......esp Sube.
  • Options
    You all do know that aftermarket systems are generally better than the OEM ones that are offered by car makers and not to mention that they are usually cheaper too. Those in-car ones aren't any bargain IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    You can get a Garmin GPS system that will mount on the dash for less than a grand - most mfg. systems are close to $2000 + you can transfer it from car to car. Ebay has loads of them - it's called Street master, or some such name.
  • Options
    kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    I think they should make a unit that can plug in as an accessory to an in-dash DVD player.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    its called the StreetPilot III.
    looks very cool.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S