Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Active Fuel Management Problems

Comments

• doc623doc623 Posts: 1
    I have an 2008 Silverado with 47,000 miles and since March of this year the truck has been in and out of the shop 3 times for the same issue of cyclinder #4 misfiring rapidly. So it happened the first time in march they "fixed" the problem by putting in new lifters in the engine that lasted for about 6-8 weeks. Around Memorial day the truck began experiencing the same problems again GM offered me a new engine that they couldn't or more likely wouldn't deliver so they took 3 weeks to trouble shoot and "fix" the engine again by replacing the lifters again as well as the VOM (regulates fuel, air and oil flows to engine). It was a week to the day from picking up the truck until it was back in the shop. I gues this is a really long winded way of asking if first it seems like this is a systemic problem across the 07-08's has anyone got GM to replace the engine or got them to replace the truck?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    doc623,
    I apologize for your concerns and frustrations. Can you please send me your VIN and Dealer information? Has the dealer tried to involve technical assistance? If not, I would recommend asking them to do so. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • imblueimblue Posts: 4
    Good luck with your 6.0L , my 5.3L problems did not start until 22,000miles.
    I experienced the same thing at an intersection, and was intent on stepping on the brake and the computer message said to get service. Once I had turned the truck off and back on in my 07 Silverado the message was off and have not experienced that problem again, oil consumption problem is my issue also.
    I have been in and out of Chevy dealers with my 2007 5.3L Silverado XLT for 2 years now. I love the truck and its first 20,000 miles. Now I am so frustrated at all the problems, "uses" 1.5 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles, and yes I am monitoring it for GM so....................... when will they step up and come up with a fix. Also had to have AC reprogrammed, and transmission fixed as it would not change gears, these problems were fixed by dealers and covered with warrantee. Then the windshield split for no apparent reason, and while it was raining the wiper flew off. I have experienced the acceleration problem as I was slowing into an intersection, but that has happened only once, knock on wood. The sad part is my husband bought this truck for me, new and $43000 and he died in 2009 before the problems started. The dealership is telling me what GM is telling them to do and in turn the dealership tells me to keep calling the 1 800 numbers. Why doesn't the dealership put pressure on GM, as they are made to look like fools.
    imblue,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    This particular discussion is for questions and problems with the Active Fuel Management system. Please check the main Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra listing for discussions on other components of the truck. Thanks!

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Same song and dance from GM again last week. Finally the service manager admitted I would probably always have to put a quart in about every 3,000 miles, and that some were having to put one in more often. Does it make me feel better, h.... no!
    imblue,

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi)." " Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition."" Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more. "Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner.

Thank you,
  • mgigueremgiguere Posts: 1
    My 2008 chevrolet silverado with 52,000 mile on it already had the lifters replaced due to the fact it was consuming almost 2 quarts of oil every 1500 mile. Oil is still going some where once again. Also truck stinks rotten eggs and my exhaust is turning all black from running so rich. This all started after the replaced the lifters. Just got the truck inspected and now they are telling me i need ball joints and a cv boot WTF? I drive 45 miles on the highway to work everyday how does this happen? Gm not very helpful at all!
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Since your issues don't involve the Active Fuel Management system, please post your engine question here: Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Gasoline Engine Problems and the suspension question here: Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Suspension and Ride

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Were the problems with AFM resolved for the '09 and later models? Thank you.
  • minismomminismom Posts: 4
    I purchased a l500 sierra (l989) as a farm truck - this is what it is doing - it does not accelerate after stopping at an intersection - stalls & won't restart - have changed distributor & brians, plugs & wires, new battery, oil & gas filter - also when it does restart it belches black smoke and smells like gasoline - does the same thing when it is in reverse - sucks up gas like crazy - I don't want to have to have the tank pulled to change the fuel pump, screen or sending unit - the check engine light is on also - mechanic told me it was the catallyc converter - other than that it is a nice truck & the body & frame is in great shape for a truck that age - thanks for any help
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Sounds like you have a plugged catalytic converter. However, that may be the result of your problem rather than the cause. Since you stated that they have changed the brains, the other cause could be a bad fuel pump. The belching of black smoke and the smell of fuel is exactly what killed your catalytic converter. Your plugs are probably fouled at this point also.

If you worked on the truck you could probably get away with $600 in parts to fix your truck. If using a mechanic you're looking at over $1000 to fix it. A replacement catalytic convter is close to $300 wholesale. Not sure if the truck is worth saving.
  • cnw20cnw20 Posts: 4
    I have an 07 Silverado with AFM and 5000 miles ago (I currently have 75K on it) the dreaded "add engine oil" light came and I had a dry stick. I took it to the dealer who replaced the gasket around the oil filter (you could see the oil accumulation on the bottom of the frame but surprisingly not a drop on my driveway - they told me it only leaked out at high speeds?) and added sealant to the bolts. Well 5000 miles later I have the same problem and am going back to the same dealer tonight - I'll keep you posted. Hey maybe if they fail to fix it this time I'll let it seize up and hopefully get a new engine?
    cnw20,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • cnw20cnw20 Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    I just called Chevy at 800-222-1020, didn't get a case # yet, and they will contact the dealer who "tried" to tell me that using 3 quarts in less than 3000 miles is normal - I told them when I dropped off my truck last night do NOT tell me this and they called today and did. There's many TSBs all over the internet on this lousy engine and GM knows it - I plan to fight this to the bitter end. If in fact, as posted by u earlier, that these engines are supposed to burn a quart for every 2000 miles that only means one thing - GM is again making garbage like they did in the 70s!
    cnw20,
    Can you please keep me posted on what happens with Customer Assistance? I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to your update.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • i got a brand new vortex max in 08 3 days after i got the truck i took it to the dealer to tell them about the knocking noise coming from the engine when the truck is running and a loud clicking sound when i make a u turn but the dealer was out of business so i took it to a other dealer they told me it was normal so i keep on driving until it became worst about 16,000k again they told me its normal then my friends told me its not normal because they all have the same trucks so about 35,000 i took it to a different dealer and they all said its normal mean wile i had lots of other small problems seat belt jam up door locks not work cruise control broke heated wind shell wipers not working and traction control broken so i drove the truck the ways it was until the engine blew up at 101,000k just over the warranty they fixed it under good=will repair then the same engine blew up 3 weeks later at 104,000k the guy from gm told me they would replace the truck or buyback the truck and had me take it to a dealer to confirm it was the engine so i did and some one else said they only gonna fix it again so far it cost gm over $20,000 to repair this shi# engine and i had to many things go wrong so i am pissed i will not expect this truck back at all and i demand a replacement truck and buyback this truck if not i will contact bbb about the and make sure non of my family or friend ever buy a gm product tonygooch2000@yahoo.com
    tonygooch2000,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me the case number?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,