Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Seems nice enough, but it would no doubt sell better as an Opel/Saturn.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Seems nice enough, but it would no doubt sell better as an Opel/Saturn.

Perhaps but I think Saab, can become a profitable european influenced sport/lux manufacturer. ;)

-Rocky
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Perhaps but I think Saab, can become a profitable european influenced sport/lux manufacturer.

Keep dreaming
    LOL.....

Saab, is on it's way up because GM, has made a commitment and Volvo, well is on it's way down because Ford, will not have the money to revive it. Volvo, will be left to wither away like Saab, did for almost 10 years. ;)

We will see who's right !!!! ;)

-Rocky
  • torque_rtorque_r Posts: 500
    Ford has put a lot more resources into Volvo than GM did for Saab. Ford will probably sell Volvo soon enough to be saved by a different owner. As for Saab, it will never sell like Volvo, because it's a quirky brand selling quirky cars. The moment GM decides to make it more mainstream, the moment Saab looses its charm and becomes like any other brand. And then what's the point if that happens? GM already has Cadillac and Buick.
    Well Saab will become like Volvo is to Ford, a unique European flavor. :) I do believe Saab, can become more mainstream and if the sell as well as Audi, BMW, etc, then they have reached a once impossible goal. Sure GM, is several years away from accomplishing that goal but it should be what they are shooting for with Saab. ;)

-Rocky
    Wagoner asks SEC to raise threshold on what shareholders can propose.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071105/AUTO01/711050312/1148- /AUTO01

-Rocky
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The fundamental difference is that Ford has not altered Volvo's Corp culture or identity.
    Volvo is allowed to do their own design and engineering.
    GM has virtually removed all product decisions from Trollhatten.
    They are now made in Detroit and Russelsheim.
    You can't disembowl a company like GM did and expect it to recover.
    Time will tell !!!! ;)

-Rocky
    Edmunds tested 5 sports sedans. The CTS came in the middle ahead of the Mercedes C350 and Lexus IS350, but behind the BMW 335i and Infiniti G35. Not bad at all. It was slowest from 0-60 however. Even slower than the Mercedes C350 which has 36 less horsepower.
    GM Reports Third Quarter 2007 Financial Results

- Record third quarter automotive revenue of $43.1 billion

- Improved automotive operations on continued strength in emerging markets

- Ongoing challenges in U.S. mortgage market adversely impact GM income from GMAC

- $39 billion reported loss driven by $39 billion valuation allowance on deferred tax assets

- Improved liquidity position of $30 billion

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/11/07/069867.html
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Now this may be a vehicle I could use. I need to be able to carry at least 4 kids. Just need to make some kind of roof rack so I can pick up 4x8 sheets.

DETROIT – General Motors will build a compact minivan for Chevrolet in 2009.

The seven-seater, code-named MPV-7, will be modeled after the next-generation of GM's Opel Zafira.

The UAW's summary of its labor contract with GM included a pledge to produce a seven-seat vehicle at GM's assembly plant in Hamtramck, Mich., for export.

According to a source familiar with the program, the vehicle also will be sold in the United States. It will be boxier and more masculine than the sleek Zafira, with a unique interior.

The vehicle will be priced from the high $20,000s to the low $30,000s, and Saturn might get a version exported from Europe, a second knowledgeable source says. "It could be for Saturn, but the first product is for Chevrolet," the source says.

The vehicle helps Chevrolet fill the product gap left by the death of the slow-selling Venture minivan. While compact people movers such as the Zafira are established top sellers in Europe, they are just catching on in the United States.

GM believes the MPV-7 can generate U.S. sales of 100,000 units annually. That vehicle will be smaller than the Chevrolet Traverse crossover, a sibling to the Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia. The Traverse goes on sale late next year.
    Well, with the democtratic presidential hopefuls upping the CAFE standards willy nilly (Who is stating the highest, Obama?) this is what we will be driving by 2020.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/ANA02/71114025/-1

Chevrolet said today at the Los Angeles Auto Show that it will build a minicar based on the Beat concept car. Production will start in mid-2009. The vehicle initially will target markets outside the United States and Canada.

Currently, India, Korea and Latin America are markets that favor that kind of car.

The Beat concept debuted at the 2007 New York auto show in April along with two other concept cars — the Groove and the Trax. GM designed all three to appeal to young urban car buyers.

Bob Lutz, General Motors vice chairman, global product development, said the vehicle will be based on a sub-Gamma platform with a four-cylinder engine. It could get 50 mpg or more and it will be assembled in South Korea, Lutz said
    :sick:

-Rocky
  • that's a :D on those new small GM's. Isn't it?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

Saturn's dealer council last week approved plans for an interior and
    exterior facelift mandated by GM over the next three to five years at
    each of 430 U.S. dealerships, said Chris Bower, chief of the renovation
    effort. The move is part of a strategy to draw younger buyers to the
    18-year-old brand.
    Car is starting out hot. Lets see if it continues.

It's way too soon to know if the new Chevy Malibu will be the smash sales hit that General Motors Corp. needs.

But in the world of buzz – ever more critical in determining a vehicle's long-term success – GM is unquestionably getting the results it wants.

Two weeks after the first Malibus hit showrooms, the cars are flying out of dealerships.

Chevrolet's Web site is racking record numbers of hits from people curious about GM's most critical car in decades. The first reviews from auto critics have been highly positive.

Even the trend-chasing blogger world is pumped up about the car, with several Web sites hosting spirited debates on the merits of Malibu.

"People are coming in and saying 'Where's your Malibu?' and we don't have one," said dealer Denny Fitzpatrick of Fitzpatrick Chevrolet Buick Hummer in Concord, Calif. "As frustrating as that can be, it just adds to the hype."

The Malibu's true success won't likely be known for at least another six months – after the hype dies down and brand loyalists snap up their Chevys.

The first sales data will be the beginning of December; those numbers will provide some indication of whether the first Malibu buyers are trading in another Chevy or casting aside their Camrys and Accords.
    General Motors plans a new family of rear-wheel-drive vehicles for Pontiac. The G8 line will include a sedan followed by a wagon and sport truck.

All will be modeled after products sold by GM's Australian subsidiary, Holden, according to three sources familiar with the project. The vehicles will be assembled in Australia.

The G8 sedan goes on sale early next year. It replaces the Grand Prix and will be Pontiac's flagship sedan with a starting price around $25,000.

The G8 wagon will be a performance vehicle similar to the Audi A3 wagon, sources say. The G8 sport truck will be reminiscent of the Chevrolet El Camino, which was produced in North America from 1959 through 1987.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Looks like Ute and Sportwagon are going to be Ponchos after all. I wonder if we'll get the Crewman?
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    '62,

Any reason why Poncho would get the 'Ute? I've waiting for that to come over as an Elky for years...

I guess Pontiac is the U.S. Holden arm, like Saturn is for Opel. So with this be the G8 Ute?
    Any reason why Poncho would get the 'Ute? I've waiting for that to come over as an Elky for years...

I guess Pontiac is the U.S. Holden arm, like Saturn is for Opel. So with this be the G8 Ute?

Good question. In the article it actually said that GMC wanted it!! But I think that it is time GMC markets real trucks only (cancel Acadia in next go around and let Buick keep it). I think the issue is that the G8 type vehicles need to be more than a basic Chevy to make a good profit. If GM's strategy of GMC/Buick/Pontiac dealerships becoming mid range segments and Pontiac becoming the RWD division then the G8's can be more upscale performance. In fact I wonder if the Impala will continue as a FWD large vehicle?

As far as Pontiac becoming a Holden stable that may happen naturally if Pontiac goes RWD in all models. I believe Holden is also engineering the midsize G6 replacement?

If GM continues the strategies I see then there will be lots of differentiation between the traditional GM brands of yesteryear.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    I posted this on the other GM thread, but the stock is down another 8% today. It's down almost 40% since the new UAW contract was signed. Is GM really turning the ship around or only extending the inevitable (BK)?

The Malibu should sell well. Good looks, nice looking interior, good performance, competitive powertrain, along with a good warranty. I don't know if they can sell enough to really help GMs bottomline, but it will be interesting to see.

With gas prices I wonder how BOF SUV/trucks will continue to sell?
    Good questions. What has changed since the UAW contract? Pretty much nothing at GM except more green technolgy being announced and more presedential posturing on raising the CAFE. Gas prices have gone down a little. GM keeps selling more BOF SUV/trucks than last year. Biggest change is the economy is getting worse and houses keep dropping and the mortgage issues keep going. I think that if the economy keeps going down the investors are worried GM will have issues.

But from what I read the loss in GM stock value is almost all directly related to the possible issues at GMAC due to mortgage/home values. Not much to do with the auto industry directly. Not too long ago it was GMAC that supported the corporate bottom line, now it is dragging it down. Good thing GM only owns half now.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    But from what I read the loss in GM stock value is almost all directly related to the possible issues at GMAC due to mortgage/home values. Not much to do with the auto industry directly. Not too long ago it was GMAC that supported the corporate bottom line, now it is dragging it down. Good thing GM only owns half now.

I read the samething. To bad GM didn't unload 100% of GMAC. Still if they still have nearly 50% of GMAC on the books big mortgage write offs certainly will have a negative impact.

No doubt GMs new products seem to be competitive. Still some dead wood in the lineup, but hopefully they will continue to improve by replacing bad product with good instead of the old way of replacing bad product with more bad product.
    I read the samething. To bad GM didn't unload 100% of GMAC. Still if they still have nearly 50% of GMAC on the books big mortgage write offs certainly will have a negative impact.

But in 2 years there will be a bunch of folks getting mortgages and rushing in to buy homes at the just ending bear market. Home values will skyrocket and mortgage companies will rake in the money.

While the mortgage/housing market is not cyclical as the automotive it does have cycles.
    Motor Trend's Car of the Year: Cadillac CTS
    I've read something like GM lost $39 billions in third quarter as non-cash tax related expenses. What does that mean? Any idea?
    I am a bit confused because I am an engineer and not an accountant but it looks like GM took write offs for years because of losses and time ran out. You can only take them so long before you need to make money. I know that is true when I had a rental property. You could not lose money on it year after year and keep taking writeoffs. Supposedly it means nothing except GM does not see profits coming in soon.
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Good point, I didn't think of GMC. But your right, if P/B/G, particularly G being touted as a premium truck brand, I don't think having a Ute will help matters. I maybe, possibly, might be able to see the Ute in Pontiac guise IF Pontiac promotes / markets the G8 as a range of vehicles, i.e. sedan, utility coupe, wagon??... In any event if P/B/G are moving up I think the Ute may cause a slight bump in the road.

I keep hearing rumblings about Holden doing a G6 replacement but nothing concrete. Things are slowing a little bit with everyone in holiday mode, but sure will pick a little after the new year, with the shows coming up and new product cycles.