Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Steering Problems

Comments

• amjd1amjd1 Posts: 9
    I've been experiencing a similar problem with my '07 Touring. It audibly "groans" when I turn the wheel at slow speeds and parking the van is essentially done without any power steering assist. It seems to be much worse when the car is warm after driving an hour or more. I'm taking it in for regular service today and I'm going to have them look at it.
  • amjd1amjd1 Posts: 9
    Power steering unit was dead per the dealer. It was repaired under warranty
  • I bought a 2006 EXL in May this year from a friend of mine. I have always had an intermittent problem with the power steering when trying to park the van. I spoke to the technician at our local Honda dealer and he said that this is common with alot of the ody's he drives in and out of the car bays, but they have found nothing to be wrong. I took it in again today as I am frustrated with having no power steering when I am trying to park the van! The technician just called and informed me that both the power steering pump and rack are on their way out!!!! The base warranty is gone now and I am looking at a $2,500.00 plus repair bill. Has anyone received any help from Honda Manufacturing regarding this problem. I only have about 98,000 km's on this vehicle.
  • macpjmacpj Posts: 2
    I spent about the same on a new power steering pump and a new starter on an 05 honda odyssey with 75,000 miles on and both were obviously outside the warranty and both which should not need replacement on a vehicle with 75,000 on it. I did pursue this with Honda and got nowhere. There is obviously a problem and Honda doesn't want to step up and resolve it.
  • Had the same problem with steering wheel vibration at 60 mph after purchasing new tires at Big O. Turned out that they tightened the lugnuts too much and bent one of the rotors(sp?) After my brakes were replaced the problem went away.
  • My 2006 Odyssey with 60k miles has a steering problem. The local dealership told me that they would be glad to diagnose the problem for $138. My regular mechanic examined my car, looked on line for information, and told me that it is more than likely the steering pump.
    I contacted the Corporate office Cust. Service and was told that "It hasn't been a problem" and since the warrenty is out there wasn't anything that they could do.
    Honda we have a problem here! And you are not making any points with your customers. The least you could have done was to offer me a discount on a new pump. The response I received was not very Honda-like.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,844
    One way to get things like this handled at reduced or no cost is to regularly frequent the dealership and give them high marks on their service work.

I've been going to the same Honda dealership since 1991 and little issues are taken care of at no charge and they go to bat for me with Honda when something big happens. I also make sure to not be a jerk and to give them high marks on the surveys - they do deserve the marks.

It may cost a little more but it pays off in the end.
  • Our power steering pump just failed at 49k. I found a service bulletin that explained the problem exactly, and it said that Honda would consider it fixing it as a courtesy even though it was out of warranty. The dealer explained that they were much tighter then they had been in the past about what they fixed for free, but it was worth a try. Honda ended up paying for all but $100 of the repair, which I guess would have been almost $800 had they not covered it. The dealer was surprised by how much Honda covered, and speculated that the only reason they did was because we have done all are service at the dealer, and we did do the big 30k service, and we were doing the 45k service while they had the vehicle in the shop.

Now, I see two ways to look at this. 1 – Honda was very generous by covering a majority of the repair. 2 – The problem was caused by a tiny screen in a little plastic reservoir that plugs up, causes the pump to suck air, and the bearings burn up. They know about, and I was able to find the details online within a few minutes. Since we do all our service there, you would think they might have been a little proactive on this and helped us to avoid the problem.

Either way, I’m glad it didn’t cost me a bunch of money. It does make me wonder if I need to search on all the service bulletins and see if there are any other problems I need to be worried about, and what symptoms to watch for.

Until the system started whining really loud every time the steering wheel moved at all, which it only started doing the night before we got it fixed, we had no symptoms that would have led you to suspect anything power steering related. For a few weeks, I did notice things were not quite as smooth and quiet as they had been, but nothing specific, and nothing serious enough to get any attention.
  • I am having an issue with my 2000 Odyssey, the power steering pump whines and after 2 pumps it is still doing the same thing. The mechanic I use said the power steering pressure switch is leaking....I don't believe him...how can a pressure switch leak? Anyway....looks like I am going to have to eat the 350.00 I have spent with him and take it to the dealer...only thing is, I am going to have to spend the money I have been saving for Christmas all year since I don't make Dealership money. N E 1 have any ideas?
  • I use this van as a work van an put 27K miles on it in one year. Now when I try to park the van, no power steeing. I've had it to the dealer once but they just replaced the reservior and fluid. Problem still exists. I agree with one of the eariler posts that the problem seems more evident when the vehical has been running for a while.

I think Honda has a serious design problem that spans at least 3 years.
  • There is a recall in effect for the vibration. All of you should ask your service advisors to show you the recall and fix the cars. They are not going to tell you unless you ask. :(
  • These problems have persisted since the 2005 model year. I reported this issue to my dealer after owning the van for less than six months as the problem got worse. They acknowledged "stiffness" and "grinding noise" in steering but at the time there were no bulletins from Honda or "fixes". Of course, over time, the problems have only gotten worse. When brand new, I also had a slight "shimmy" when braking lightly at 65 to 70 mph, which the dealer acknowledged might be warped rotors and told me to get fixed before the warrant period expired. So that was all 4.5 years ago. Went to the dealer at 18 months for minor warranty fixes, including all aforementioned issues and was shocked to find out the brakes only had a one-year warranty. So I got hosed on the rotors. Also was told there was still nothing to be done regarding power steering. About six months ago I was in for a minor service and had the power steering reservoir replaced ($140) which eliminated the "grinding" noise, but was still told the next step to fix the power steering issue was the pump, another $550. So I recently approached 100k and took the van in for the timing belt et. al. That was $900. My DEALER still told me no guaranteed fix on the steering even if they put a new pump in. So I finally got REALLY irritated and called Honda. They said it was a warranty issue and I was out of warranty so nothing. EVEN THOUGH THE ISSUE WAS REPORTED AND DOCUMENTED WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS UNDER WARRANTY. Through this website and others, I found out that in 2007 there was a bulletin to the dealers re: the pump, but Honda is still not taking responsibility for the problems. So... I called my dealer,spoke at length with the GENERAL MANAGER (not service manager), told him my next step was to name the dealership and Honda in a SMALL CLAIMS COURT LAWSUIT (using websites such as this one for ammunition), gave him my Honda America case number, and yesterday the service manager called me and I'm getting the pump done at NO COST!! So there is hope if you are willing to pursue it. In 1981 I bought my first new car: 1981 Honda Civic Hatchback. After 24 months or so, it began to rust through the engine compartment. Honda supposedly had a great "rust" warranty. But they decided that it was rusting from the "outside in" and the warranty only covered from the "inside out". I had washed that car weekly and waxed it monthly, RELIGIOUSLY. I swore I would never buy another Honda. My wife and I have owned five new cars since then; 1 Nissan, 2 Toyota Camrys, and two Ford trucks. We have NEVER had issues like this before. And there are LOTS of small issues with this van. I only decided on Honda because of the better driver legroom, the seat configurations and fold-down style, the everywhere airbags, and the leather coming standard. We put 120k on the Nissan, 70k on the first Camry, 36k on the second, 90k on the Ford Ranger, and are almost at 100k on the F150. I have already spent more on the Odyssey and have had more problems than ALL THE OTHER VEHICLES COMBINED. Honda can kiss my **** if they think I will ever buy another one or refer someone to them. And although it was rated at 28 highway, and I drive 90% highway, I have never gotten more (or less) than 20 MPG. Goodbye Honda. When this van is done, I'll be looking elsewhere. :mad:
  • qch8qch8 Posts: 1
    I have 2005 Odyssey. The steering become stiff at parking or very low speed recently and getting worse. Maybe it is also due to the pump issue. Will need to have it checked out. Honda dealer mentioned about $125 fee for checking. Seems it is a common Odyssey problem.
  • FWIW I just got my power steering assembly (rack, pump, the works) replaced and Honda paid for it all. I do have a Honda Care extended warranty but I was actually right up against the mileage limitation on it & was stunned they covered what ended up being about $2000 worth of repairs. I had taken my 05 Ody in because of a noise when starting the car; they not only replaced my starter under warranty, but said the power steering pump was leaking and that was covered by warranty too. On top of that they wouldn't let me continue to drive the car until it was repaired, even though I had not noticed any changes in the steering performance; they put me in a 2010 Camry loaner car for the weekend while they overnighted the necessary parts so they could do the repairs today. I was looking through my very extensive service records for this van (you would not believe!) and noticed that the exact same repair/replacement on the power steering was done in 2006. I love my Ody but I tell you I have never had a brand new vehicle that has needed this many fixes in such a short stretch of time. I am beginning to think that Honda is well aware of the many problems with this vehicle, perhaps in particular the '05, I don't know. Mine is an LX w/Nav & DVD, btw---just one click short of the Touring basically. My take is that if you are lucky enough to have a conscientious dealership you can get these things taken care of; if not, it may be up to you to force them to take things to the next level and get the repairs covered.
  • snobbensnobben Posts: 2
    We had to have our PS pump replaced at 74,000 miles and today our AC compressor went out after another 3,000 miles!!!
    What has happened to the Odyssey?
    This is the 6'th Odyssey we have owned and we have NEVER seen this before.
    Makes one a little bit nervous about buying another one - Honda needs to do something about their warranty time/length!!!
  • stevev4stevev4 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a certified pre-owned honda odyssey to replace our 2003 honda odyssey that had transmission go out at 100k miles. Van had 6k miles and fully loaded with all the horns and whistles. Thank god for rain in spring in so cal because we found a leak in driver side door/windshield area. After two trips to dealership, one to replace windshield, the second to locate drain tube from sunroof kinked as the problem. Now, have issues with a whistle and rattling driver side door window. Took in last week and was informed that rattle was do to "hard door" rubber and unable to replicate whistle with service advisor in car. Got the car back with what appears to be vasaline like substance on window edge and no relief from rattling glass or whistle. While car was in, tires rotated and steering fluid pump replace do to leak. Did I mention tire wear on front tires seems extreme for new vehicle/tires. Now for my question. Any thoughts on whether this car may have sustained damage that was not disclosed to drive side of vehicle door / windshield that would kink drain hose and or cause window alignment problems leading to rattle and whistle?? On vehicle service reports should I make sure that these issues are noted on the reason for vehicle being brought in ? (which they aren't)

Bottomline, I am skeptical of the vehicle in light of my recent frustration with a bad transmission on previous vehicle and will not tolerate any deficiencies in a pricey new vehicle. Greatly appreciate and feedback.

Thanks leary in san diego
  • Actually the Honda Odyssey 2000 Ex model is such a great car. After 10 years and 339,000 Km, its the 1st time I'm taking it to the mechanic for something major- the alternator died. After coming back from the mechanic I heard this whining noise(never heard before) whenever I try to turn the wheel.
    This whining power steering noise is caused when AIR gets into the steeing system, ususally from a defective hose- which the mechanic damaged while changing the alternator. changed the hose ($9) + new fluid($10) + labor($40) >> Total repair cost of $59 and back on the road again. remember to bleed the air out.
    This Odyssey is superb- it likes to cruise at 150km/hr- so I have to constantly bring it down to 130km/hr, it takes any corner at nice speeds without drifting.
    This Odyssey is not your GrandMother- it needs to be on the Highway at least once every week. Press the gaspedal to the floor for 20 secs and see it go past 120km/hr and this will clean out engine+exhaust....then enjoy for 10 years+
    My Odyssey is DarkBlue Metallic- looks best before sunset against the white head lamps and factory fog lights- excellent wheel span+tire size> best design ever.
    Mr. Japan- 10 stars to you and my hat's off too- if you have another one at low milage- same color,same style- I will take it tomorrow, anytime. many thanks.
  • kk112233kk112233 Posts: 1
    What is the best way to contact Honda re: this issue? My 2007 Odyssey's power steering pump just failed as well and the dealer would not cover the repair. I would like to contact Honda and see if I can get some relief as well. Very frustrating to buy a vehicle based on manufacturer reliability and have a major repair at 45K!
  • I have the same problem with my 2007 odyssey and dealer is refusing to cover it. I had complained of noises in the engine, engine wheel shaking last year and they said no problems found but once the warrany is over now they say the pump is broken. I am going to complain to corporate. Very very frustaed with Honda.
  • cravencraven Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Odyssey that has experienced the moan, groan, and hard steering problems everyone has mentioned. Honda did issue a technical service bulletin about this, stating that the power steering reservoir should be replaced...usually at the customer's expense. I found a "do-it-yourself" fix that has worked for me and seems to have fixed the situation. Here it is:
    Parts List: one 12 oz. bottle of Honda genuine power steering fluid, available at the dealer for about $3, a 12 oz. bottle of LubeGard Power Steering Fluid Treatment/Protectant available from NAPA auto parts for about $15, may come in a kit with a power steering flush mix also. A siphon pump with tubing, may be able to find at Wal-Mart for a few bucks...very simple pump to remove fluid.
    1. Use the siphon pump to remove as much of the old power steering fluid, and discard/recycle at your local oil recycle place.
    2. If you want to use the flush with the LubeGard kit, then do so and follow the directions. You may need extra power steering fluid to flush the system. I skipped that step without any problems.
    3. Add the LubeGard Power Steering Treatment and the Honda power steering fluid, to the proper fill level on the reservoir. Start the engine and circulate the fluid, turning the steering wheel back and forth a few times to get the fluid into the system. Turn off the engine, check the power steering fluid to make sure it is at the proper level. Drive and enjoy new peace and quiet and better steering feel.

I hope this "fix" works for some of you. It has proved a "fix" for me for the past 30 thousand miles without problems. And it is still working fine without problems.
  • tntiger7tntiger7 Posts: 1
    Contact Honda @ 1 800 999-1009. My PSP was replaced today @ 45k on my 07 Odyssey. Not happy as I asked about the problem prior to today
  • odyssey_07odyssey_07 Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    i contacted honda and my PSP is replaced under warranty for 07 odyssey with almost 45 k. They contacted me with in 2 days after i filed the complaint.
  • I just had my power steering pump replaced by Honda under warranty. I brought technical service bulletin A07-005 about the power steering reservoir to their attention because I was concerned that if they did not fix the primary problem now, I will have to replace the pump in the future when it is not under warranty. Apparently in post #39, rwall10597 thought the ultimate problem was due to a bad filter in the reservoir causing air to get sucked into the system. However, the service technician said that Honda is very restrictive about their warranty replacements now, and because the bulletin is entitled "Power Steering Pump Whines, Buzzes, or Hums", and my power steering problem did not present with any noise, they are not going to do anything with my reservoir. So my question is, is it possible that there are a lot of power steering failures that have nothing to do with the reservoir problem? Or can they all be traced back to the reservoir problem, but not all of them present with the noise? If the latter, I am going to push the issue with the service department more, especially since my warranty expires in 3 weeks.
  • jhs24jhs24 Posts: 22
    edited August 2010
    If you have hard steering and the car seems to wander on the road even after an alignment then you may have the same problem I had. This seems to affect 2006-2008+ Odyssey's that had the new struts to make the ride softer than the 2005. I had a 2005 and it had hard suspension (rode very stiff). Honda used different struts starting in 2006 to make a soft ride. I have successfully fixed my own 2007 Odyssey struts and documented what I found. I had two alignments done and everything was in spec but the van still pulled all over the road until I fixed the struts and then got another alignment (all alignments were by the same shop and the same person checked the final numbers). It now drives very light on the steering wheel and doesn't wander on the road. I hope this can help someone.

I had already replaced the reservoir to silence the pump, but that has NOTHING to do with hard steering as long as the pump is silent. I did not replace the pump or the steering rack.

See below on the link for how I fixed my Odyssey.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f17a7b3/85
  • sistarsistar Posts: 19
    most time I got no power steering (left turn only), and a few times i just had to do it the hard way - scrape my way in and out. Out of job, can't afford dealer repair. The van has 65k miles, out of warranty of course.

Any suggestion?
    This sounds like a steering rack problem, not a strut problem. It requires unbolting the front subframe and supporting the engine according to the service manual. I'd figure it's a $1,500 job at a dealership and it's not one I'd do at home because it's pretty involved.
  • I have the same problem with my 2007 Odyssey (70K miles) I took it in to the dealer they are telling me the Power Steering pump is bad and the they think the timing belt tension needs to be replaced (they don't know for sure) but there is some type of noise coming from the back by the timing belt area. I have about $1000 worth of work that needs to be done....I had the Tranny changed out under the warranty at about 30K miles, the brakes been grinding ever since about 20K....I called Honda USA Corp. I can not believe the way they handled this situation.....I thought I was talking to a Customer Service Call Center in a 3rd world country. (REAL BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE) I owned 5 different Hondas 3 Odysseys,1 accord and 1 civic......because of the BAD service that Honda Corp USA provided me with I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA AGAIN. :lemon:

I have a 1997 Camry close to 200K runs like the day i purchased it 13 years ago. My next car will be a TOYOTA.

Corporate will not do anything to help the consumer....after reading all the issues that Odyssey have once they hit 50K miles,I will BUY TOYOTA and trade this POS in and get the new SIENNA it's a much better looking van the 2011 and a better all around car.
    edited October 2010
    I agree that I've been disappointed with the strut problem and hope I don't have the torque converter problem. I also replaced all my rotors and pads since the previous owner had pretty much warped them from going down a mountain with the brakes on instead of manually downshifting. Honda rotors and brakes are really not that great, but what else is new. Vehicles require maintenance.

Toyota has also had their share of problems. There were quite a few Camry's that had engine sludge problems due to undersized oil ports about 5-10 years back. The entire engines seized. Also, when I was comparing the Odyssey to the Sienna about 3 years ago TOYOTA had some major problems with bad welds on the front door hinges. The spot welds would come loose and the doors would bend completely forwards towards the front of the van on a downward slope or if it was windy. Usually the driver door went first since it was used the most. The only solution was a new door because the welds that broke were internal to the door. Toyota would not issue a recall because they didn't want to pay on the number of recalls. Each door replacement was $1,000/door and there was no way to reinforce the welds since other panels were welded on after the hinges (there was no access to the welds anymore).I test drove a '05 Sienna and I saw the welds starting to fail myself (spot welds) at low mileage and knew Toyota was not owning up to it. We now see what has happened since as Toyota got in big trouble this year over recalls they did not issue but should have.

Needless to say, every car manufacturer has problems. There is no guarantee that the 2011 Sienna will be better or worse than the 2011 Odyssey. True, some models can be more problematic than others, but in the end it can just be the luck of the draw. My mother has a 1998 Camry with 130,000 miles on it and never had any major problems. My old neighbor had one and the engine locked up one day with the same mileage due to sludge. Toyota replaced it and owned up since it was a known issue, so that was good. Honda recalls some things, others they don't. I hope you have better luck when you get the Sienna. Please post and let us all know how it goes.

My Odyssey is a dream to drive again since I fixed the struts. I've driven 6,000 miles in the last three months and some days were 11 hrs on the road straight. I hope it keeps up since I'm now at 45,000 miles.
    No, it's not. There are other issues that can certainly be the problem.