Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Going by your resentful, over protective feelings ... are you a service rep. ?

No, I'm not. I'm a human being. You are the resentful one by looking forward to rip them apart on a JD Powers survey. You said so yourself. That is text book definition of resentment.

No matter how incompetent I may find someone in any customer service industry, I would never say that. I would pursue other avenues to channel my dissatisfaction, and look for a resolution. I would never insult someone because then I would lose all credibility, and why would anyone want to help me after that? Insults never help the situation.
  • k1200k1200 Posts: 40
    Ok, let me apologize first.... I will admit I probably got a bit heated, you would have to have been there to feel what all of us felt. Basically I was looking for anyone that had a similar incident since this had been ongoing. I absolutely was not trying to be nasty to you and I know I dont have to apologize, but I feel I owed it to you. This vehicle has spent more time in the shop than in my driveway. So I did find another dealer who is doing the right thing, and the survey has not been filled out, So I guess this is one of those time where another voice (aviboy97) has actually made a difference and gave me reason to pause and rethink.
    Kudos to ya aviboy97
    There is no need for you to apologize. Part of being human is letting our emotions get the best of us. Believe me, I've been in your shoes before. I know how you feel ;)

I will say, I hope you let that dealer know why they lost your business. I have a funny feeling you are not the only one dissatisfied with their service. :sick:
    wow... talk about a weird morning.... so let me give you an update.
    Im at the store , my phone rings, its the original dealers the service rep. in a voice that was almost a whisper he asked "where is the vehicle and was I driving it" I told him was out and about. He said "park it,dont drive it" I had to ask why and his reply was there is a real danger of an electrical fire or system failure and that Mazda is working on a solution and he again restated his request not to drive the vehicle. I did let him know that its going in to another dealership this evening for repair.
    If you are interested I will keep you updated if the repair does the trick.
    That's news to me. I'll ask my service department about it. I'll see if I can help you.
    Ok,
    thanks.... when they do fix it I will send you the info as to what they say. He just said a couple of quick things "module replacement and couple of other things" When I get the info I will give it to you, this way (if) you see the symptoms you can nip it in the bud.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    If indeed something was wrong from factory and would cause a fire, you will see a official recall very soon. :cry:
    So I went in with the vehicle and they actually took it in right away they said they knew what the issue was. After about 2hrs it was ready, I was told it was a relay and they showed me the old one that literally turned to ash, saying that the problem is it burns out but does not short out which is where the fire issue could arise.

part # G110-67-730

guess i was fortunate not to have had a fire, but it seems to be fine now.
    If this is a common issue for all CX9s, I bet that Mazda should be very busy making a recall right now. The last thing you want (as Mazda) is to have "CX9 caught on fire" in the news. If we don't see such recall soon, maybe someone messed up your CX9 during previous fixes.
    I am betting on the latter.
    Hmmmm , that could be a possibility, I hope there is not anything else looming over the horizon . Will keep you posted .
  • I am trying to get clarification on this annoying problem/feature. When I turn off the car, the interior lights do not turn on. The advanced key is in my pocket, so there is no key to remove from the ignition. Every car I have owned in the last decade turns on the interior lights when you pull the key out of the ignition, but with the advanced key there isn't a key to pull out of the ignition. Since mazda was too cheap to backlight the lock/unlock switch, or any other light switch in the car, I am finding myself in a dark car fumbling for the door lock button. The manual suggest on page 6-121 that the lights should turn on when the ignition is turned to the lock position, but this is not the case, at least not for my car. Anybody else find this irritating, or is there something wrong with my car? Ironically if I use the metal key, then the lights turn on when I pull the key out of the ignition, but kind of defeats the purpose of the advanced key.... Of course a call to mazda yielded, uhhh we aren't really trained, but I think the lights should turn on. Talk to your dealer. I ask my sales guy to check and see how an other CX-9 on the lot works, and he of course doesn't call me back....
  • howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    I keep my lights on Automatic all the time, use the advanced key. Are your lights on manual?

When I pull in my garage at night (and even day) the lights go on, which inturn turns on the lighted panel instruments, which includes the door locks (which are not locked) and the blue backlighting in the door panel stays on for a few minutes after I leave the car. The headlights remain on also, illuminating my garage so I can see

I guess I have never noticed since I pull into my garage and immediately open the door which turns on the overhead lights. Or my garage door opener light is on, so I don't have any problems seeing the handles.

Tell me exactly what your settings are on your car and I'll try it. What is your light setting? What is your overhead inside lighting set for? Door? Are your headlights on, when you shut off the car?

I'm guessing you have a wire crossed somewhere.
    Check to see what your dome light setting is. You may have it turned off.
  • Thank you for replying! My dome light is set to door and my headlights are set to auto. My interior lights do come on if I unlock the door or open the door but not when I turn off the ignition. My headlights do stay on for a 15-20 seconds after I exit the car and lock the doors. What other settings are there to adjust? So can somebody please confirm next time you drive your car with the advanced key(no physical key in the ignition), if the interior lights come on when you turn off the vehicle, but before you unlock or open the door?
    Without sounding sarcastic....So where are you that it's so pitch black, that you cannot see anything inside your car when you shut-off your engine?

Are you in a remote parking lot w/o overhead, reflective or ambient lighting?

Do you have a deep garage w/o reflective lighting bouncing back off the opposite wall from the headlights when you pull in?

According to the manual. "When the headlight switch is in the AUTO position and the ignition switch is turned to the ACC or LOCK position, the headlights, other exterior lights and dashboard illumination will turn off."

Nothing about the dome lights indicated.

It sounds like the system is doing what it is supposed to do. Perhaps the metal key option follows a bit different logic in programming.

I'll see what mine does when I get home tonight.
  • The gym parking lot actually at 5am....It's fairly dark plus my interior is black. .Read page 6-121 of the manual. It talks about the interior illumination. It says the interior lights will turn ON when the ignition is in the lock position, and then in parenthesis, it says with the key removed from the ignition. So does that mean you have to use the metal key to get the interior lights on? Clearly the intended function is for the inside lights to turn on when you arrive at your destination.
    Hmmm....not sure I would want my interior light to come on (regardless of day or night) when I pull the key out of the ignition and stop all activity in the car. At that point, I would consider the car completely turned-off. I would think that I mistakingly pressed some dome light button and need to find the switch before I exit. I can't recall my last Ford or Toyota having the interior light come on by removing the key AND not opening a door.

According to the manual on the page you indicate....
    When the illuminated entry system operates, the overhead light (switch is in the DOOR position) and the courtesy lights turn on for:

(About 30 seconds after the driver's door is unlocked and the ignition switch is in the LOCK position (with the ignition key removed).

(About 15 seconds after all doors are closed (If your vehicle is equipped with the advanced key, the overhead light turns on for about 5 seconds when the advanced key is outside of the vehicle).

( About 15 seconds after the ignition switch is in the LOCK position (with the ignition key removed) with all doors closed.

These are all "OR" situations, which in your case is the last situation, when the ignition key is removed from the steering column. So, it sounds like the CX-9 is doing what it's programmed to do.

The doors don't auto-lock (which took me time to get used to) but that makes it all the more easier for me to put my hand against the side door panel and pull the handle without having to look (aka no light required).

I'll check mine out in a few hours when I get home.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    >and why would anyone want to help me after that? Insults never help the situation.

Wish GWBush understood that before he started calling everybody out as the Axis of Evil.........

Anyways, it seems this dealer is very incompetent. happens. Find a dealer which is not. There are many.
  • I have owned 2 saabs, a vw and a mercedes before this car, and they all turn the interior lights on when you remove the key from the ignition, and turn the lights off after about 30 seconds or when you step out and lock the doors. The Mazda behaves the same way if you use the metal key. That is the what I find odd, it behaves differently if you use the metal key verses the advanced key.

Autolock is a feature I miss as well. Standard on most vehicles I have driven lately, including rental cars.
    Confirmed what you state.

- Light goes on when you pull out the key.

- Light does not go one when you shutoff car with advanced key system.

This is exactly what the manual says the car is programmed to do.

The only thing I can think of is that when you are using the metallic key, you'll need to have a moment to put it away in a pocket or purse before exiting the car.
    The light would be helpful. (I guess you would need it to lock the door also from the outside once you exit the car)

With the advanced remote key system, I suspect most people have it in their pocket, jacket or purse already and don't need to fumble around to put it away.

All in all, if this is your only complaint with the car, drive it a little while longer and you'll find other things that bug you also. :(

Cheers
  • Thanks for checking that out. At least now I know there isn't something wrong with the car. I like about 95% of the things about this car, it's the last 5% that annoy me.

I would say though, if anybody out there is considering a cx-9 and is used to driving a car with autolocks this car may annoy you. If you want to drive with your doors lock(which is generally advised) then you have to get in the habit of manually locking the doors and then you have to manually unlock the door(pulling on the driver's door handle doesn't unlock the door). Also, as we have just confirmed, if you have the advanced key and you arrive to a destination that is dark, you have to find the door lock button in the dark to turn on the interior lights. In which case you are gathering up your items with your door unlocked or open and not paying attention to your surroundings. Of course you could turn on the map light(button is also not backlit) instead of unlocking or opening the door, but odds are one time you'll forget to turn it off, although I think it might shut off eventually to save the battery. Things you might not notice is a test drive. Call me paranoid, but that's the world we live in....
    my car is set to manual, I would have to turn my lights on, my problem was that the interior fan would come on full blast when the vehicle was shut down. Turned out to be a really charred relay.
  • My CX-9 also has pulling issues. It is all over the road. it has been in the shop so many times and still it doesn't handle right. I'm curious to know how many other people are having this problem. Sometimes when I come to a stop light the wheel shakes....
    There is a TSB on the alignment (pulling to one side) issue.
    Bring the TSB to your dealer. If they have tried to fix it more than 3 times already, it is time to ask for a new CX9 based on Lemon law. :mad:
  • I have barely 500 miles on my new 08 CX-9 when I noticed vibration when braking while going 45 mph or greater. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they machined the front rotors and the problem went away. However, my wife drove it to work this morning but had to turn around to switch cars because she heard a weird noise in the front end while slowing down before a complete stop. Took it back to the dealer and at first I was told the calipers needed lubrication so they did that and did a test drive to see if it was fixed. When the service manager came out to see me, he said he's not happy so he ordered new rotors and he'll replace my front rotors. This is ridiculous and am very disappointed. Just hoping I won't have any more serious issues after this one.
    Henmen:

I had my front brake pad, guide plate and rotor replaced due to groaning noise when stopping slowly (especially when it is cold).
    There is a TSB for it. The result is beautiful. It feels like new brake and very quiet.
    Have faith. Mazda is fixing problem and not shy to issue TSBs.
    Check out the list of TSBs, and see if your have those issues. It is better to fix them all in one shot, don't you think?
    I did three with one visit!
    Sorry to hear about your issue, I had one similar. After you had rotors resurfaced, what type of sound was it? Was it a "clicking" sound heard when you start to accelerate and /or braking ?
  • I just picked up my CX-9 and after they replaced the front rotors with new ones, it drives and brakes smoothly. k1200 it sounded like something loose in the wheel well and was slapping on something as the car comes to a slowdown. I could only hear it at slow speed. Thanks for the advice on the TSBs, my dealer is not aware of any so I didn't get any done but I'll research them and hope to get them done if they apply to my VIN.
  • Have had my CX 9 for 16 months (2007 AWD Grand Touring). No problems, no service (other than oil changes), wife loves (her) car. Now, first big snow since we have had it and it becomes absolutely uncontrollable, barely able to keep it on the road on flat, plowed roads. Even other, rear wheel non-4x4 cars were able to drive.

While trying to get it un-stuck, I could only see the front, driver-side wheel spinning. Nothing on rear wheels. It is the higher end AWD version of the car (Grand Touring, I believe). I have not been able to find a review or posting from anywhere that says anything except how good this car is in the snow. Tires are fine.

Anyone else heard of this problem? Car is at dealer now awaiting diagnosis.
  • I saw another post similar to this on the mazdas247 forum, but the guy was getting some error lights on the dash too. It sounded like it was driving fine in the snow till the 4wd light came on. Another guy on the same forum swore his 4wd wasn't working until he saw all wheels spinning. The consensus on the tires is they are horrible in the snow, basically unusable. Let us know if the dealer finds something wrong.