Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura RL

Comments

• Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Try *img src=xxx# tag to post pictures.

Replace: * with < and # with >
    xxx is the link to your picture on the internet.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes, you need to upload them to an internet site somewhere, then either a) post the link for us to see, like http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=203256643103&photoid=314586643103, or, you can get it to show up for us like this:
    < img src=http://images.ofoto.com/photos565/1/43/66/58/14/3/31458664310- 3_0_ALB.jpg >

Removing the space after < and before > does this:

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    How do I post pictures? I have some of them delivering the RL to my house...
  • Options
    cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    i'm going to need to replace my wife's saab 9-5 soon and the rl is one of the cars on my list. while i haven't been following this entire board, having seen the pricing of the new rl (over $50k) i have to admit to being a bit disappointed. while i know acura is delivering good technology, at the same time they are evaporating the price advantage they've always enjoyed vs. their competitors. the new rl stickers higher than the new audi a6 and if you take into account discounts, prices up similarly to the bmw 530i (similarly equipped). my guess is that acura will be discounting this car sooner rather than later, it's in a very competitive segment and (to me at least) isn't priced aggressively.
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    I am in a quandery as well. Currently motoring along in a 2000 Audi A8- hit 80k miles the other day and feel as if my deal with the devil is about to expire and I'll be sinking $ into this baby before you can say "German engineering only lasts the factory warranty".

Anyway.....I LOVE the tech stuff, and have owned Acura's in the past. My thoughts on Acura are as follows- not quite up to the standards of luxury and handling as the Audi's, MB, BMW, and Lexus. Yeah, I know those are all over the map in terms of handling, but they are either fun to drive or silky smooth. I LOVE my Audi's, but this is the first I've had the guts to drive over 50k. Acura, in my mind, is a great car. Nothing flashy, appropriately luxurious, just a shade below the other high end manufacturers. I have them about on par with Infiniti, though I've owned those as well and the interior of the Infiniti held up better over the long haul.

So, now comes my decision. I need AWD, as we have a country house that we frequent and 2WD just isn't an option. Not going with the A8 again, as I don't feel like spending that type of $.

From what I've seen and read, the RL looks like it should be my top choice. I'm a "toys" guy, and this has the bells and whistles. I like the look, it seems like they ratcheted up the luxury, and I can feel confident I can drive this north of 100k miles. But....the price is strange. They've now come up to the range of the A6, which was one of my other options, and it may be several k more expensive than the Infiniti M35 AWD next year. If the A6 and the RL are equally priced and equipped, I'm going with Audi. It's just night and day in terms of luxury and quality of ride to me.

I hope we see some discounting off of MSRP in the next few months. I think we should, as it is rare for a car at this price point to command MSRP for so long. If not, my decision may be made for me. At 50k, I need to be pampered.
  • Options
    proeproe Member Posts: 157
    Now, if we can find some generous people who are willing to sacrifice their cars for us, I think we can know what are time for 0-60 time, 1/4 miles, home many g does RL pull, braking distance... etc.

Well, just a thought:-)
  • Options
    Thanks Kirsti and Robertsmx. OK, here we go...

<http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=44093317406&photoid=35093317406>
  • Options
    kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Congratulations! Does the RL come with reverse parking sensors? Also, do you know what the lease finance interest rate is?

We still haven't got the RL in Canada yet (at least not in Vancouver). If there are any Canadian readers who have seen the RL actually in Canada, please let me know what accessories/options are standard and available -- as well as pricing and leasing info. Thanks.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Dual congrats. On your car and your first photo posting. :-)
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Congratulations on your new car! Use it in good health.
  • Options
    Reverse parking sensors are optional equipment that I didn't "opt" for. I paid cash for mine so I can't help you with lease information. I will say this however...I've driven the BMW 5 series, the E320, G35, and I also own an 03' Infiniti FX35...The RL is, hands down, the superior vehicle. If you buy it - you will not be disappointed!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, and congratulations shotgun (on both accounts) :-)

BTW, you would need to include img src= right before the link to have the picture show up on the page.
  • Options
    hadhad Member Posts: 32
    Just saw a fax from Acura to my dealership talking abuut a misdirected rail car which end up in Kansas City and 5 dealers involve (mine is one). Went on to say they are going to put them on a truck.

One of the dealers was Walker Acura.
  • Options
    steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Congratulations! I Love that color, what interior did you get?
    I wish you tons of fun!

Steve
  • Options
    For some reason, I seem to like the taupe interior better in RL. But, I would prefer black in TL.
  • Options
    legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    What did you pay for it?
  • Options
    Thanks! I got the Taupe interior which is really a "grayish" looking color. The swatch in the brochure does not resemble it at all. BTW, the Opulent Blue Pearl is definitiely a standout color...extremely rich and luxurious looking. The word "opulent" is a perfect description.
  • Options
    Congrats Shotgun! Well done. The car looks handsome, and I am sure it will look even better when you put it in YOUR driveway.

How do you like it so far? How is the low end torque? The SH-AWD? The Acura version of iDrive?
  • Options
    adamar1adamar1 Member Posts: 14
    I read your lease numbers with interest! I have leased my last three cars and have been able to compute the exact lease cost independent of my dealer's computation.

Based on monthly depreciation and a 58% residual, it appears that your lease is based on a purchase price of $51,086. I did not include any sales tax because you implied that you were paying that upfront. The 2005 RL supposedly has a MSRP price of $49,470 (which includes a delivery cost of $570). I am curious as to whether you paid over list for the car or you dealer charged you more depreciation than he should have. With respect to the monthly lease charge (i.e., interest), I arrive at $206--a difference of $5 per month. The formula is cost of car ($51,086 plus residual value of $29,630 = $80,716 multiplied by the interest factor of .0255 = $206.

When I leased my 2002 RL the MSRP was $43,630, but I got a 12% discount off list, the interest factor was 40% of your interest factor, although the residual value was only 51% compared to 58% (which is a very high residual factor and therefore helps to keep the lease cost down). In any event, the bottom line is that my monthly lease cost is about $520 (before sales tax based on a 39 month lease), compared to your least cost of $797 based on a 36 month lease. My how things have changed in three years! The RL has gotten into the big leagues price wise. It will be interesting to see the demand for the 2005 RL and how many will sell at the MSRP price before Acura discounts them, as they have done for many years. Maybe we won't be so lucky in the future.

Good Luck with you new RL and enjoy it to the fullest! I hope to take a test drive when things quiet down.
  • Options
    There is so much hype on this message board that I fear saying anything negative about the 2005 RL will make me an outcast!

Out of curiosity and after reading this message board for months, I decided to stop by my Acura dealer for a quick look at the 2005 RL to see if the reality lived up to the hype!

They had only one 2005 RL, which was being driven by the dealer's owner (no demo yet). It was white with parchment interior. With no offense to anyone, I don't care what kind of car it is, if it is white it tends to be bland looking. I prefer a dark car which brings out the styling features in a more elegant way. I am sure that the 2005 is stunning in a dark color which is what I would opt for.

The interior is much richer, more elegant and upscale from the 2004 and prior RL's. I like the flat leather panels on the doors compared to the wrinkled leather look of the past. It really looks more chic. The seats seem very comfortable. When I first saw pics of the large titanium colored panel extending from the shift lever up to the center of the dashboard, I thought it looked a little garish. However, in real life it looked more subdued and seemed to blend in well.

I got a 2005 RL catalog and made a quick attempt to compare some statistics. The big disappointment, and not surprising, is that they have cut the cargo capacity in the truck from almost 15 cf to 13.1 cf--a loss of about 2 cf. In my world that it substantial. I need a big truck and have been able to really load up the trunk for trips.

I reason I thought the trunk would be smaller is that they seem to have cut a big piece off of the rear end. Like many have said before, I still think it looks too Honda Accordish (which also has a clipped off rear end). The car is about 3 inches shorter than the 2004, which certainly doesn't account for the big reduction in truck space. I wonder where that additional space went as the interior space looks about the same? To pay $50,000 for a new car and get such a small trunk is a disgrace when you only need one car in the family.

It still looks like an RL, only more aerodynamic in styling and less boxy. I found the profile on the front headlamps upsetting. You can see through the lens and it looks like cheap tin canasters. Perhaps that was needed because the light turns when you turn corners. The chrome strip on the rear bumper does not encompass the entire bumper as it did previously (although it was more for looks than protection). The redesigned rear bumper which looks more massive, with little protection, will be asking for a lot of scratches. Down with plastic bumpers!

I think the bottom line with the new RL is that is was redesigned to appeal to those who want a more youthful and sporty car with a shorter looking rear end. I passed an Audi on the way home and it had the abbreviated rear end look. The "proof in the pudding" will be its feel behind the wheel and the pleasure one gets from driving it compared to its predecessors.

Good Luck to all who get on the bandwagon early for the 2005 RL-- have a ball with it!
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    When I first saw pics of the RL, I thought it looked kind of bland and boring. But the more I see of it, the more it reminds me of the MB E Class, which I think is one of the best-looking mid-sized sedans. I agree that the reduced trunk capacity is a big negative, which is also one of the complaints I have about the '04 TL. For family use, the small trunk means the RL (or TL) couldn't serve as the primary family vehicle, since you would basically need to have another (bigger) vehicle for summer vacations, or even weekend ski trips when you need to pack a lot of gear.
  • Options
    olneymdolneymd Member Posts: 23
    The lease depreciation calculation is based on MSRP of $49,470, plus the lease acquisition fee of $595 - for a gross cap cost of $50,160.
  • Options
    eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    I think that we all agree that opinions on styling are subjective. Being somewhat conservative in my automotive styling preferences, I think the car is impressive.

However, one feature, or lack thereof, has me perplexed. Acura seems to have thought of almost everything to put in a $50,000 automobile.

They've moved the envelope but there's only a four way passenger seat according to the bruchure!!! I realize this is very slight omission but it does seem like an oversight in such an expensive car.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    In Canada, the RL is $25,000 more than the TL-Navi. Factor in taxes (17.5% in BC), and the difference approaches $30,000. Can any TL owner reconcile/justify that difference to trade up? I think I would have trouble anteing up. Now, if they had included a V8 and 50 more ponies....
  • Options
    You said that "the lease depreciation calculation is based on MSRP of $49,470, plus the lease acquisition fee of $595 - for a gross cap cost of $50,160."

I now agree with the $791 total monthly lease cost. It's still a lot of money on a monthly basis compared to leasing the RL's of past! I hope the enjoyment is worth the big increase in monthly leasing costs! Acura has put the RL in the MB, MBW, etc. price range I am sad to say.

The Lexus LS430 is only about $6,000 more and certainly you can get a discount off MSRP which narrows this differential. Many consider the LS430 the Mercedes Benz of the Japanese cars which has proven to be more superior in quality control. It has 20 cf of trunk space or 7 cf more than the 2005 RL. Until it has AWD I wouldn't consider it. Also, it is probably not the car for someone who wants a car with more sports appeal. The $50,000 to $60,000 range for a new car is an interesting world and now we Acura RL lovers find ourselves in it and may do more comparison shopping in the future.
  • Options
    You wrote "In Canada, the RL is $25,000 more than the TL-Navi. Factor in taxes (17.5% in BC), and the difference approaches $30,000. Can any TL owner reconcile/justify that difference to trade up? I think I would have trouble anteing up. Now, if they had included a V8 and 50 more ponies...."

Even before the 2005 RL price shot up, I questioned the differential. I have test driven the 2004 TL and the predecessor model. While I agree that the differential seems like a lot of money, I really didn't enjoy driving the TL that much and didn't feel comfortable in it. When I drive my RL I feel like I am in heaven! Therefore, the differential was worth it to me because the two cars are like night and day in my opinion. I think the styling of the TL is beautiful--very sculptured. The change in the RL styling is not as dramatic as that of the TL. It's all in the mind and eye of the beholder! There is no denying that Acura makes a great product in all of their car models. Acura is getting a lot of good press from this message board.
  • Options
    kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Hi bodble2. I don't know why the US flag was up there. Anyway, I think I fixed it and there should be a Maple Leaf on this post.

Thanks for the info on Burrard Acura. I haven't actually contacted any local dealers yet, but have only been looking at the Acura Canada site, which has nothing other than some pictures of the RL.

I am actually planning to wait for the Audi A6 (and maybe even the A4) to become available before going to any dealers. In fact, I was thinking the RL at approx. C$70,000 would be a bit above my budget; however, if we get the 58% residual that they are giving the US, and a reasonable interest rate, the monthly lease payments may be affordable. So far, just looking at the web sites, the BMW 3-Series has the best least rates. From your contacts do you have any pricing and lease info for the RL?
  • Options
    1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    I saw a White/Parchment 05 RL at South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa, CA. The dealer added $395 protection package, $995 "Finishing Touches", and $2990 "Market Adjustment"! Give me a break!!!
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Finally, the dealer where I ordered the RL (#1 on the list) got 3 demo units (white with parchment, black with ebony, Opulent Blue with Taupe) yesterday. I went in this afternoon for a test drive. Note that I have '98 540iA now, as a background information for you.

Negative point first. RL feels like a 6.5-7.0sec(0-60mph) car to me. The difference is very obvious when I returned in my 540iA. RL only has moderate low end torque. In city driving, it feels heavy (thanks also to the 250lb salesman who sits next to me). I went on highway for about 2 miles, pushing it up harder to speed limit. The high end torque is better. Incremental acceleration, again, thanks to less torque, is not as good as my 540iA (310ft-lb vs 260). Would it beat BMW 530iA in straight line? I think it would.

Now, here come the positives. The interior is definitely Lexus quality. The dash appears to be smaller than what the pictures would have you believe. It is nice and not as intimidating. Soft leather, quality plastics, and the seats are great! I don't care how many WAYS your power seat provides, if it can't fit you well, more ways won't help. BMW has great seats, the RL fits me even better.

The audio is outstanding (beats my BMW hands down). Tried the NAVI. The dial is very easy to operate with those short cut buttons around it. (that is the part that BMW's iDrive missed).

The trunk space is small considering its mini spare. My 540 came with full-size spare and has 11.5cu ft. RL's trunk space does not feel much larger than mine. I really does not care about it that much since I travel long trips in my Odyssey anyway (with 3 kids).

During the whole test drive, I totally felt in control of RL. The suspension is on the firm side (on par with BMW w/o sports pkg). You still can hear the engine roaring, and that is a good thing for me. It is not an exciting vehicle that gets your adrenaline pumping. In quick and fast turns, you still feel RL can take it easily. You simply cannot say that in a FWD vehicle like TL. It feels very competitive against a BMW with 50/50 weight balance. Throughout the whole experience, I didn't feel the SH-AWD in action, which is a good thing. It simply hides behind the scene and does the work for you. I had wished for a rainy day to test drive the RL. In CA, that does not come easily.

On colors, like others here have said, the Opulent Blue is fantastic! It's definitely my favorite without seeing the three shades of silver colors yet.

The moment I closed the door after I sit inside, I knew that Japanese have finally unlocked the secret of German secret in constructing the doors. It slams with a "thunk!". I simply cannot say that even with LS430. Believe me, I have sit in many versions of LS over the years. The "door-slamming" experience is on par with a BMW 5 series. I think a MB E-class may still prevail in this regard.

Have I changed my mind to buy it? Before I left I had a short talk with my salesman. He mentioned there are 20 guys on the list (being in San Jose). He indicated MSRP is non-negotiable at this point, but he could probably throw in some accessories out of his commission (which is probably in the order of $2-3K). I told him that I had expected the price to be around $46K. he agreed to the point that they were expecting somewhere between $46K to $48K. The final price came out on the high side to them. I guess too many on the waiting list jacked up the final MSRP.
    My final decision is still pending at this point.

One surprise I found is the wood (or wooden) steering wheel. He is sure that that is standard. I remember the brochure indicates that it is a dealer-installed accessory. I have found no wood(or wooden steering wheel in photos released by Acura. I guess Acura threw it in at the last moment. Good for all buyers. (that is a $500 option!)

The bottom line is that being a 540iA driver for 6+ year, I feel the RL does not deliver the straight line performance as I had expected a 300hp engine would bring. Other than that RL is first-rated. A comparably equipped German vehicle would run at $60K (consider all the gadgetry). I think RL's success heavily depends on how GS300-AWD and M35-AWD are priced. The fight has just begun. If you could wait for 6+ months the decision making would be a much easier one.
  • Options
    tls02tls02 Member Posts: 20
    Ceric, great post! I have read, and re-read your post a few times. I have a 2002 TL-S that I love, but I want to get a new car. I saw the RL, at the NY Auto Show and have been waiting for its release. I went to see it twice last week and was not "Blown Away", and I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like it!. My Dealer will have one for me to drive next week so I will see. (I have not yet seen the interior.) I went to Lexus and got the pictures of the new GS 330 and it just doesn't hit me... I also think that the M45 looks like a bigger G35 (?)and I'm not a fan of G35, although the M45 did make me stop at the NYAS and take a look. I can buy either the TL or the RL; however, money is of course a factor, and cannot decide, do I want a great Sporty Car (TL), or a OK Lux Car for a lot more $ ?.

(BTW I'm 58 but think I'm 37.) Decisions, decisions, decisions... (My wife is leaning towards the RL for the Lux factor, but it just doesn't look like a 50K car to me, and I guess that is really what my problem is...)

Decisions, decisions, I wish that I still had my 53 Ford, my decisions were a lot easier then!
  • Options
    prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Is that all? I expect our dealer in Paradise to slap on $3995 or $4995. I'd better not see another grand for "finishing touches."

Not that I've ever paid any of those extras!
  • Options
    tls02, I must agree with you, Ceric's post was indeed great and well balanced. I, like you, am in my fifties (56) and took delivery of my 05' RL on the 14th. I recall on another web site a well respected reviewer by the name of "Justin" was one of the first to test drive the RL's and provided a good collection of pictures and what appeared to be an excellent "preview" of the RL. Anyhow, he (Justin), indicated that the "darker" colors greatly favored the RL style and looked much better than the "lighter" colors. Granted, color choice is a hugely subjective factor and I previously owned a Premium White Pearl 99' RL and was, once again, leaning towards that color. Now you know how agonizing that "color thang" can be right!? Well, to make a long story short, after consulting with a few friends concerning the attractiveness of "dark" colors and Justin's impression of the darker RL's, I bit the bullet and ordered the Opulent Blue Pearl, sight unseen. When it arrived, it took my breath away! That color, my friend, is absolutely stunning, elegant, luxurious and makes the RL look every bit the part of a $50k+ automobile! Trust your wife on this one...
  • Options
    nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I've driven mine for nearly three days - my thoughts:

- not an old man's ride, much firmer than I'd expected, but that means it corners very well

- the seats really hold you in place in hard corners, you don't get thrown around at all

- plenty of power for me. I haven't maxed it to see exactly what it can do - not going to do that to my brand new car, but in entering freeways, plenty of power. was disappointed I didn't get to try it out on a demo, but my dealer got the customer cars before he got his demo

- the interior has a very rich feel. everything is laid out nicely, the wood and chrome go nicely together. the leather seats are wonderfully soft and comfortable

- nav system is great - love the big screen which is also very well located. it's taking a little bit to get the hang of the voice activation, but it's much easier to enter addresses than on my 99 RL. the big joy stick is so much easier to use than the old touch screen or tiny joy stick. a coworker who had a 5 series BMW with nav and now has an Infiniti with nav says the RL beats both, hands down.

- It's taking me a while to get things programmed, still a ways to go. lots of menu options to program, but fairly intuitive.

- the stereo is great. love the XM radio

- ordered an Opulent Blue Pearl, was a little nervous since I hadn't even seen a color sample, but it's fantastic. each time I look at it, it looks a little different, but always beautiful!

All in all, absolutely love the car and am looking forward to a real road trip with it.

PS - as I've been typing I've been looking out the window at walkers and joggers - nearly all have slowed to get a good look at my RL sitting in the driveway!
  • Options
    tls02tls02 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks to both of you for your posts. I have just seen a RL TV commercial and the car looked great! I guess that the proof is in the pudding and I have to go see a cleaned up RL and drive it to be fair. All of the RL's that I saw were in the Dealers back lot and had not been washed yet and I guess that is not fair. BTW did your cars come with a Wood Steering Wheel at No Charge? Another post said that a dealer said that this would be the case, but I am skeptical.

Yes, Shotgun, I have read Justin's Posts at that other Forum and he did say dark colors look great. However, I have a Black/Black TL and although it looks great when clean, it drives me nuts to see every single scratch and ping. I said, "no more black!" My wife would want a Parchment Interior because she thinks that the wood is dark in the new RL and would not show well against a black interior. What color Interior did you get with your Opulent Blue car?
  • Options
    I got the Taupe interior and its a perfect match. Don't even begin to think the wood steering wheel is free - it's not! I think it's almost $600! I added a wood shift knob, color matched tire splash guards, custom (rubberized) floor mats, and trunk tray all for about $550. Nothing is free my brother (smile). I must agree with you on dark color maintenance, it probably will be a worrisome issue - but, the Opulent Blue Pearl looks so damn good!!!!
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    How anyone can buy from a dealer that does this outrageous mark-up is beyond me. This practice rapidly sends me to another dealer.
  • Options
    Nebraskaguy - I exactly echo all of your sentiments and observations. I'm waiting to get to the 500 mile odometer reading before I start opening it up a little. I did notice, however, when I was cruising at about 35mph and punched it just a little ( I couldn't resist it) the accelerative G-force, was truly outstanding - to the degree where I felt myself being steadily pushed into the rear of the seat with "conviction"...I simply can't wait to "dog" it a little - know what I mean? (smile)
  • Options
    g35coupe1g35coupe1 Member Posts: 28
    Hello all. I currently own a 03' G35coupe 6MT which is great. Before it I had a 00 TL and I have always loved Acura. This new RL is driving me crazy and I am leaning towards getting back to an automatic sedan. Luv to have both in the stable, but that is pushing it... Can't wait to test drive this car as I stopped by one of the dealers in Indianapolis and all are sold(4), suppose to get 15 in before end of next month.

PS... Post more pics!!!! and Post more driving reveiws!!! I am living vicariously right now!!! :):)
  • Options
    Don't even begin to think the wood steering wheel is free - it's not! I think it's almost $600!

My thought exactly. I knew more than that salesman as usual. But, he insisted they(wood steering wheels) came with the cars. Anyway, I have my mind set on the Opulent Blue with Taupe, and I want the salesman to throw in
    - wood steering wheel (he promised it is standard!)($600?!)
    - backup sensors (another $600)
    - floor mats, trunk tray, etc.
    (you can always add the wood shift knob later)

If he won't take it, I will walk away from RL and wait for M and G to make another decision in 6 months. Hopefully, the prices would be more reasonable then.

For those who already own RLs, I am very happy for you guys. While I was test driving yesterday, I "felt" many people were looking at the new RL (black-n-black) including a guy in Audi A6 trying to catch us. Blue-n-Taupe would be even more eye-catching!
  • Options
    Ceric, great post! I have read, and re-read your post a few times. I have a 2002 TL-S that I love, but I want to get a new car. I saw the RL, at the NY Auto Show and have been waiting for its release. I went to see it twice last week and was not "Blown Away", and I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like it!.

The feeling is the same here. I put in my order in April (right after MY Auto Show). I was slightly disappointed at the performance in straight line pickup. I have had two speeding tickets in my 540iA. Less performance may actually do my traffic record some good. That said, in term of luxury, my 540iA is pale in comparison. I paid $51.5K back in '98 for my 540iA. For almost the same price at $50K (adding some accessory), you basically get a less engine, superb AWD, and tons of new gadgetry in the new RL.

Too bad, Acura did not make the decision easier for us. Too me, either a better straight line performance, or lower price point (say $46K) would help tremendously in the decision of purchase.
  • Options
    soldamericansoldamerican Member Posts: 2
    The wood steering wheel is built into the price of the car. So that would be a standard feature. Asking them to throw that in would be like asking a dealer to give you the tires for free.

I don't sell RLs nor do I own one but know the car very well. They do sell at sticker. Walk away if you like. Someone else will buy it.
  • Options
    wfj1998wfj1998 Member Posts: 9
    What is a good price for an RL in Houston?
  • Options
    A good price in Houston or any other city for that matter is $49,470.- At this moment, the RL is not being discounted!
  • Options
    wfj1998wfj1998 Member Posts: 9
    In other words, an out the door price of $52,880.21 the going rate....
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I test drove the Celestial Silver RL this afternoon and I was underwhelmed. First off, the saleswoman was bashing the Mercedes Benz and Audi line-ups as not equal to the new RL. (Thou shall not speak evil of the competition---Strike 1)

I drove on a twisty 2-mile country road and on Route 95. The car handled superbly on the twisty road but was quite ordinary on the highway.

My 32-year old son-in-law then pushed the car as hard as was possible on the expressway averaging 90 to 100 mph. The car responded well but the engine was unusually loud for a luxury car. Wind noise, however, was absent.

The sound system is awesome rivaling many homemade systems. Since this was my first experience with XM radio, I was pleasantly surprised. The sound quality was close to CD or DVD quality.

The voice activated system was nice when it worked. For some reason it could not differentiate between rear and front defroster. The leather smelled good and was very soft and supple to the touch. And those seats fit like a glove.

So what don't I like about the new RL? Frankly folks the exterior design is bland and too much of an Accord derivative. The colors look dull as if they had passed through the car wash too many times. Frankly, the RL does NOT look like a $50K sedan. It lokks more like a dressed up Accord.

But, in the end I liked it enough to put a deposit on the Redondo Red Pearl with Ebony leather interior. Delivery date not until mid February 2005 however. Apparently the car is in great demand in the Boston area.
  • Options
    Hahahaha...Well BWIA, it appears as if you paid it the ultimate compliment! Yours is one of the coolest posts I've ever read...
  • Options
    hmcelmurhmcelmur Member Posts: 1
    Just located the dealer's invoice price as follows on Consumer's Guide's website:

MSRP

$48,165-48,900
    Invoice

$42,882-43,536
  • Options
    >One surprise I found is the wood (or wooden) steering wheel. He is sure that that is standard.<

It is an accessory. I saw the same thing at a Southern California dealership and the salesman told me that the wood was a dealer-add on, along with some chrome wheels they had added.

IMO, a wooden steering wheel is a backwards idea. The leather wrapped steering wheel was a step forward, allowing a good and comfortable grip. The hard slippery wood offers neither.

There was only one car at this dealership, and they were using it as a demo. There was a line for test drives and after a half hour of waiting I left.

I think MSRP will be the going rate for the first few months at least. Maybe as we approach Christmas things might slow down, but only time will tell.

I did get to sit in the car briefly, and found the seat bolsters to be too hard. Granted I weigh 220 pounds and may be bigger than the average man but for me personally this is a big negative.
  • Options
    >Frankly, the RL does NOT look like a $50K sedan. It looks more like a dressed up Accord.<

I am inclined to agree somewhat, but I have to say that in its defense, the new RL looks no less prestigous than a new E class Mercedes. In fact, of the two, I would have to say that I think that the new RL looks a little classier and a bit larger.

(My observations are based on seeing the RL in Lakeshore Silver).
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Good post. I went to look at the RL today. My last 4 cars were - 2 90's Legends, 99 528, and 03 530 currently. I was very pleased with the exterior in person. The interior was just plain excellent. Even better than some of BMW's recent showings including the 04 5 and 6-series. The engine compartment was so neatly done - typical Honda. The driving position was as good as my 530. Definitely a very good effort. I will drive one next week.