Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Gas mileage on the new GM suv's should be significantly better on the highway than the ford
    explorer. The only way an explorer could break 20 mpg. is to push it off a cliff.
  • Options
    j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    I read somewhere the Envoy is estimated to get 21 mpg on the highway. Not too great.
  • Options
    Most of the people that i know that have V8 explorers get about 16-18 mpg on the highway.My intrigue gets more than its EPA rating, so if the bravada gets 22 mpg that is a 22% increase. Pretty good for a 4500 lb vehicle.
  • Options
    14151415 Member Posts: 249
    The Bravada test that I referred to in my posting stated gas mileage was 15mpg which they obtained in a preproduction prototype with low mileage..

Need info on the SLP cat-back exhaust system on whether the Regal GS cataloged system will fit the 3.5 engine w/o modifications.. The 3.8 and 3.5 exhaust aft of the converter carry a different part number but that really doesn't tell much.. Somebody on an old archived Intrigue board had one done on an Intrigue; the 3.8 Intrigue is the same as the 3.8 SC or 3.8 normal in the Regal.

Any help would be nice!!!!
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I didn't know that Hertz used car sales sold Intrigue GL models. I explored their website, and they have like 30 or so spread throughout the country with 23-30K on them for $14-16K. Not too bad.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I would never take a chance on a rental. I have seen some pretty bad things done to them.
  • Options
    etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Mine was replaced in June 99 at about 12K and the problems have not surfaced again. I'm now at 32K. I never had any strange noises with the old shaft, the steering just felt like there was something loose clunking around in it. It was most noticeable when you went around a curve and then corrected the wheel. One thing I've also noticed is that I never notice the ABS self test anymore. One of the things I noticed when I first got the car was right after starting it and putting it in gear, I would hear a noise and the brake pedal had a funny feeling for a second. I haven't noticed this in a long time and just remembered it today. I want to say it quit about the same time the intermediate shaft was replaced.

one2one, I found the K&N that fits my 98 Intrigue at Advance Auto parts. I looked at Pep Boys and Auto Zone as well and nobody has a very big selection of K&N filters. Advance's selection was no bigger, they just had the size that fits mine. I too noticed the books didn't have the Intrigue listed, but they did have the Regal and Grand Prix listed and I cross referenced the AC/Delco filter for those two and it was the same as the Intrigue so I knew it would fit. And memory seemed to tell me that the cold box was in the same location on all three. Anyone know if a K&N is available for the 3.5 liter engine?
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    At the dealer where I purchased my 2000 Bonneville last month for $15,995 there is a steady supply of rental unit Intrigues - all priced at $11-12K. These are base models but most have power seat, CD, aluminum wheels but not leather or sunroof. Most have 25K or so miles.

There are also Century Customs for 12.5K and Impala base models for $13.5K The Grand Prix SEs go for the least - no more than 11K. Aleros are priced at $10.5K

I sure wish they would get the 99 Aurora in and price it around 16K - would be a sweet deal

Ken

Ken
  • Options
    Three of my friends who all have V8 explorers have told me they get around 14 mpg in the city.
    So i don't see how the bravada could be any worse.
    I think they will definitely be more fuel efficient than the explorer. The question is, how much more?

You can bet any magazine test will report a lower mpg figure because they beat on their test vehicles pretty hard.

My intrigue is rated at 19 city and 27 hwy. My normal is 21-22 city and 29hwy. I believe that the bravada has the capability of beating the 21 mpg hwy figure.

Of course that is dependent on whether you have the 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10 rearend.
  • Options
    oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    empiremotorsports.net has cat-back for Intrigue among other things. Not sure of the brand. I'm thinking of getting a strut tower brace from them since it's only $19.99.
  • Options
    oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    forgot to mention that the Monroe Sensatracs are $58 ea (front) and $49 ea (rear) at shockwarehouse.com

There is a strut-made boot kit with jounce bumper for these struts and are sold separately. This should eliminate the Intrigue jounce noise issue?
  • Options
    Found my answer on the SLP exhaust system in the archived Intrigue VI forum and the 3.5 can use the same system designated for the 3.8 Intrigue.

Board is quiet today!!!!

The SLP Detroit is busy doing Camaro conversions and not able to tackle a simple exhaust changeover.

Interesting article in Det Free Press on the "NET Cash Positions" of the Big 3 and Toyota. Net cash is cash plus overfunded pensions minus debt.
    Ford $ 8.1 Billion
    GM 3.4
    Chry 0.0
    Toyota 14.6

Free trade is a great thing--I see where Saturn is giving up in Japan after 3 yrs and some 4000 cars sold. Ford is the only healthly domestic and GM will be on the hurt list next and will start selling more assets to enhance cash.
  • Options
    ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    The "Letter from Detroit" section of the current Road and Track suggests that GM pulled the plug on Olds opposed to other divisions is that it has the fewest number of stand alone dealerships (63), which should make settlement easier. Saturn for example are likely all stand alones. The columnist further suggests the fact that GM couldn't make $$$ on sales of a quarter million units produced on shared platforms is a sign of deeper problems. I agree.
  • Options
    The web of Empire Auto Parts lists the SLP exhaust system at $599.99 and it can be purchased from SLP for $349.95. How's that for markup the good old American way--love it!!!

Thanks for the thought.. It's alot of money for a piece of 2 1/2" bent tubing with a stubby muffler.

Maybe it will sound like a screaming Ferrari???
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see February sales. January certainly wasn't as bad as it could have been. One thing that amuses me is how people worry about the slide of auto sales in 2001. Fact is, if projections are right it still should be the 4th or 5th best year EVER.
  • Options
    oldtimer4oldtimer4 Member Posts: 23
    Now that I have my 2000 Intrigue back with a new engine, I'd like some advice on the best replacements for the above 3 items. I drive roughly 12,000 miles per year.

I know the Mobil 1 oil filter is highly recommended and K-mart sells them for under $10, but are there other brands just as good?

Advance Auto Parts has the K & M air filter P/N #332057 @ $49.95 plus a 'recharge' kit for around $10, but are there other brands just as good?

And if I use the Mobil 1 or equivalent oil filter, what's the best 5W30 oil to use?

It seems in past posts someone mentioned that any good brand of oil is OK if regularly changed with a premium oil filter.

Any advicefrom out there would surely be appreciated.
  • Options
    It may not seem bad in Toronto but it the skids in the Motor City. Sales sneeze and Detroit catches pneumonia, the folks at Chrysler will tell you.

I read where Honda has had seven straight quarters of declining profits; due to discounting and currency exchange rates. They get whacked when they trade the dollars into yen to keep the home fires burning..The Canadian economy is sheltered more against the Big 3 slowdown because of the Asian invasion is heavy in Canada..
  • Options
    Actually the pain is being felt here, it's just not as concentrated. The LH Chrysler plant laid off an entire shift of workers permenantly last month and both GM and Ford have also trimmed in the greater Toronto area. Nothing to sneeze at. ;-)

Also FYI.. Asian cars have a bigger market share in the U.S. than they do in Canada. GM still has a 33% market share here. In the U.S. it's only 28-29%.
  • Options
    arnie82arnie82 Member Posts: 27
    My 2000 Intrigue had apparently chopped up the right rear tire during its first 7700 miles. It really wasn't apparent until I performed the scheduled rotation and the right rear went up to the left front. Then it was unmistakable. Now the tire on the right rear is making noise.
    The mech and service rep at the local Olds dealership claim that these symptoms indicate that the tires weren't rotated frequently enough. I don't buy their explanation, the mech suggested rotation more frequently than specified (like every 6000 mi) and to accept the tire noise as normal.
    Any comments?
  • Options
    www.autosite.com has the january sales figures, and they are not good for the domestic auto industry and sedans in general.
  • Options
    arnie82::::::You now have a front end that rumbles; and it sounds like a bad strut on the RH rear or totally misaligned.. 7700 without rotating is not going to tear up a tire in any language.. I know how to flat spot tires on the rear and the Buick Regal is the all-time champ at screwing up rear tires, so bad that the people at Goodyear would tell you what kind of car you are driving if you complain. Been there and done that.

I assumed that the struts were stiff enough on the Intrigue to prevent cupping. I also assume that the outboard edge of the tread is tore up??
    Never heard of 7700 from new cupping unless something major is out of whack. It the car unevenly loaded??? Tell me more!!!!
  • Options
    ghostzghostz Member Posts: 19
    Opinions differ on using a K & N. I used one for a while on my Camaro and then swapped it for a Fram paper filter. I am a little paranoid about small particles getting through and into my MAF. I think the advertised HP gains are best case scenario and not always realized. I've also heard that they don't flow much better than paper after they've been cleaned. Finally, some people think the oil from the filter can get into the MAF and affect the sensors. I don't want to bad mouth the product, but just pointing out my thinking.
    JR
  • Options
    I think he meant that the inside of the rear tire was cupping and when he crossed it over to the front, the cupping was now on the outside which made it visible?
    There is something seriously wrong with that rear suspension.
    The only wear that i have experienced is the outside edges of the front tires because i corner hard, and have lowered the pressure somewhat in hopes of lessening the impact harshness.
    Can you believe that the service advisor told him that it was his fault because he was 1700 miles past the recommended rotation interval. If i treated my customer's the way oldsmobile treats theirs I would be out of business.........hmmm.
  • Options
    Read your first sentence of post 1421 and rethink.
  • Options
    I guess i have owned a camaro with asymmetrical tires and wheels that have different offsets for too long. Its hard for me to think of rotating tires without dismounting them.

I guess what arnie82 meant was that when the wheels were taken off the car the technicians noticed the uneven wear.
  • Options
    After re-reading my post, need to provide more information.
    When the car was new, there was a slight noise that was heard in the right rear. When I rotated the tires at 7700 miles (well within the recommended time frame) the right rear shifted up to the left front. As soon as I drove it I could tell it was cupped. I took it in soon after that and the diagnosis was "you didn't rotate the tires". When I explained to the service guy that I had, his reaction was "you hadn't rotated them frequently enough". The Owners manual and the "recommended service frequency flyer" at the dealer differed by 2000 miles.
    Mileage is now 12K and the right rear makes a steady low roar/rumble at all speeds.
    My wife is the primary driver of this car, so I don't get to drive it every day and do the "road check" on it (turn off the radio and listen to the car).
    Anyway, the last trip to the dealer involved the a mechanic taking my car for a test drive (with me along). His advice was more frequent tire rotation (every other oil change) and a four wheel alignment.
    My feeling is it's either an alignment or suspension problem at the right rear.
    I'm going out to the garage this morning to take a look at the rear and a close look at the tires.
    As far as loading the car, it's driven to the office by one average sized adult, no passenger.
    Any comments or thoughts?
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Does the dark band of windshield tinting at the top obstruct the vision of anyone else? I find it very distracting.
  • Options
    ghostz - Thanks for the input. Considering my mile/yr, I suppose I could replace a lot of paper filters for the price of this K&N. Do you have a brand & type to highly recommend?

***** The rest of #1414: Surely someone out there can help with recommendations on oil/filter combinations for a new Intrigue's 3.5 engine. My 1st change will be coming up soon,and I'd like to settle on a good combo.

***** Also, has anyone experience with either the MotorUp or Prolong additives in a new engine? My son seems to believe the TV promos, but I'm not convinced.
  • Options
    I would ask the dealer to call Olds for help for they are lost in the woods. Get the cupped tire replaced for all it will do is beat the suspension to death. I have the tires rotated every 6 to 7k and I drive fast and with 36k no cupping..With a new car you could have driven 15k without rotating and should have no cupping.

Something is amiss with the RH rear suspension like the strut or linkage. To cup a tire in 7000 miles surely warrants the dealer attention and help. All they are trying to do is sell additional services as you build up mileage finally realizing that no one
    addressed the problem and the car becomes suspect too late.. Olds is going out of business..

The GM dealer is responsible for handling and resolving the tire problems--your guy is stonewalling this deal. Was this a used or program car???

Find another dealer!!! I've had two Intrigues and the 98 GLS was a prone to high-speed vibration. The Goodyears were balanced 5 times in 20k miles; no cupping, finally the dealer put two new tires on at 21k miles and bingo!!!!it was cured..GM pays the bill. GM bought the car back at 26k miles for other reasons. The 99 GLS has perfect balance and tire/wheel roundness from new to the present 36k miles..

Go after the clowns..If they can't help; then you better call Olds central and start the paper work..
  • Options
    There are several Olds dealerships in this area, I plan on a stronger assault on the next one on monday. Thanks for the advice.
    This car was purchased new and before it had 100 miles on it, the engine was pulled to replace the exhaust manifold due to a stripped sensor hole. ("Check Engine" light wouldn't go out). The only other problem has been a leaky seal on a sensor on the oil pan, that was fixed under warranty.

Does anyone know how often the two "O" rings on the oil filter cap should be replaced?
    arnie82
  • Options
    arnie82::::I hope you do not change your oil during the warranty period?????The 3.5 filter is a leaky deal and let the dealer have all liability during the Warranty period for everything that concerns the car; then they have the responsibility and you have the paper to prove every damn thing that has been done or not done....

I could never figure out why people change their own oil in a $20k+ auto to save 15.00. Let the dealer have the show and you hang the dealer; otherwise the young kid at the quick change place is liable----a laugh...You as an owner couldn't be liable.

Penny wise and a BLAH-BLAH!!!!
  • Options
    Oldtimer, A lot of people with performance cars like Fram. Definitely make sure whatever air filter you use fits snugly and seals in the air box. Some of the cheaper filters aren't made as well. You're OK with a GM filter, but they tend to cost a little more.
    JR
  • Options
    I've been following all the Intrigue threads because I'm seriously thinking of buying one. I drove a Regal GL (supercharged)the other day and I really like that car. However, the Intrigue much better fits my budget, and Olds seems to want to give them away. The salesman told me right off that the dealership was selling all the Intrigues for invoice and told me the invoice for each one on the lot. I notice that GM is giving them a 2K dealer incentive so that makes some sense.

I drove a 2001 GL with the Premium package. Very roomy and I'm a tall person. The car had decent power (better than I expected) and handled well. Seemed to take bumps a little hard in the rear, but I had my wife in the front and the 300 pnd salesman in the back. I'd say the Regal was a little softer and quieter in ride. Fit and finish was ok. I did notice that the metal on the rear quarters seemed thin, and looked like it might take parking lot dents at the top of the wheel well. The car did not knock my socks off by any means, but with the price and the low interest financing its seems to be the best deal in town. I dunno. Another thing, the saleman told me Olds is giving a FULL 5yr./60k warranty. Is this correct? The long warranty might be the kicker for me. Oh yeah, apparantly these things run on regular gas, which is huge plus. They didn't have a GLS, so I'm interested in opinions on this package vs. a loaded GL. Any Intrigue owners' opinions are appreciated. I've got to get rid of my Camaro for a more family oriented sedan. Someone please talk me out it :)
  • Options
    My intrigue is ding free, because i park away from other cars and or park against a landscaped area of the parking lot so that i have only a 50% chance of getting hit by an idiot who flings their car door open without looking.

As you can see this a sore subject with me so don't get me started.

If you get a intrigue with PCS that will get you a shorter gear ratio which will help acceleration. Probably something you would want coming from a camaro.

With all the incentives olds is offering i would say go for it.
  • Options
    Your salesman was correct, all new Oldsmobiles have a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty. The Intrigue is not as quick as a Regal GS, but is pretty lively and it quicker than many other cars in it's class. The 3.5 liter DOHC V6 is very smooth and refined and is based on the Northstar series V8 which is an excellent family of engines. I have a 98 Intrigue which will be off lease this summer and am seriously considering another. The low rate financing, excellent warranty, and extra $1500 off are really making me lean toward another Intrigue. I've enjoyed mine alot and for what it is(a sporty mid-size sedan) it has exceeded my expectations. Personally, I tend to lean more toward luxury cars and right now it's either another Intrigue or a 2-3 year old Cadillac or Aurora. My only real complaint with the Intrigue is the road noise. I drove my father's Aurora today and it is much quieter on the road as most luxury cars are. The Intrigue certainly is not the worst car in this area and wind noise is actually low on the Intrigue, there just seems to be alot of road noise in the car once your about 60 MPH. More padding in the floorpan and doors would probably cure this problem. Good luck with your decision and if at all possible, I'd keep that Camaro as those sadly are going to go the way Oldsmobile is after next year.

1415, 32,500 miles on my 98 and tires are still in good condition. I rotate them every 6-9K and have not had a problem with a vibration except once when the guys at NTB didn't balance them correctly. For Eagle LSs, I guess they are pretty good tires. Just curious, what is a good replacement tire for someone who was going to have an Intrigue for a while an still wanted excellent handling, but also wants a smoother and quieter highway ride?
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    User surveys are available at tirerack. Standard touring tires are compared here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/touring.jsp

According to the survey, Eagle LS are near the bottom of its class. Worse even than Firestone Affinity. The Regatta 2, X-One, and Avid Touring are on the top.

I had the Affinity as OEM tires with my Malibu, have currently OEM Eagle LS with my Regal, and like the Eagle handling better. Though, it is difficult to compare just tires, across different cars with different suspension.

Personally, I upgraded the Affinity tires to Firehawk SH-30 and like them very much.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hpas.jsp

But the SH-30 are all-season performance tires, not touring ones. They are quieter than Affinity, but rather stiff.

The handling is head and shoulder better, of course. The wet handling is absolutely outstanding.

• Options
    ghostz ... Even though my 3.5L on a new 2000 had to be replaced @1500 miles (serious oil leak) and I've just noticed a small leak from possibly the oil sensor on the new engine after only 200 miles, I still love the car & would highly recommend it. Both oil leaks seem to be flukes, and hopefully the latest one can be easily remedied.
    Mine rides just fine on Eagles .. more stable, quieter, and tighter overall than the 98 Taurus, and with more 'zip' even without the PCS package which would (someone suggested) give you even more.

1415 ... You make a good point about dealer oil & filter changes during warranty, but most quick-change places advertise their service meet all warranty requirements and do provide detailed receipts to document their service. But to go either route I'd still lean towards using a Mobil 1 filter which the ones I've contacted say they'd gladly install. As for why some of us prefer to be do-it-yourselfer's, I guess it's the comfort of knowing excatly what we're running on, and perhaps a bit of the macho thing from 'knowing how' and periodically getting our hands dirty.
  • Options
    What do you think ot the Mercury Marauder that is coming out soon? I have narrowed my search down to another intrigue, Chevy Trailblazer and the marauder.

I prefer rear wheel drive to front wheel drive. I could not afford the impala SS when it was out and like the idea of a large car with performance aspirations.

Ford's problems with their transmissions is legendary. I have never owned a ford product and don't think that ford takes care of their customers as well as GM does. What do you say?
  • Options
    There's a certain satisfaction in knowing that the job was done right and in just getting under and looking around. The leaking seal on the oil pan wasn't creating a spot on the floor of the garage but, I spotted it during my "underbody inspection".
    I guess that after factoring in my time shopping for supplies doing the work and disposing of the used oil, paying for the service during warranty might be worth it.
    The down side is that skeptical look from the service guys when you say you did it yourself.
  • Options
    I got cared away on the oil change subject and hope I didn't offend anyone; but a dealer is an important person during the warranty period and it pays to stay close to him.

Tire balancing is an art and very critical to enjoying the performance level of your car. Since 90% of my travel is interstate at 75+; any vibration is maddening and has to be cured. If the original factory balance is smooth: I never let anyone touch it. Wheels once balanced do not change and will only change if a weight falls off or the tire starts to fail. I have driven some original tires 75k miles without any additional care except air.. My current 96 Caddy was glass smooth and only glitch was around 42k when the Fla dealer "X" the tires which changed the rotation and created a slight vibration. The tires had always been done front to back same side. Tires were switched back to rotation same side; vibration stopped!!!My Detroit dealer had done all tire rotations prior. Never touch or try to improve a good tire balance..

My hot button is vibrationless driving; don't mind harsh rides but will not tolerate out of balance tires or shake.. Alignments are often a waste of money and I have never had any Caddy aligned through 70k mis. Unless you have some weird wear pattern its a waste and might even create a problem that didn't exist. Neither the 98 or the 99 Intrigues have been close to needing an alignment.

I am afraid that the dealer will screw something up!!!

Oil leaks were initially due to a loose oil pan and the rubber seals around the filter; but I don't see any oil on the garage floor so it's good until the next change..

Enjoyed the article about tires and will visit my small independently-owned Firestone dealer when the time comes. The Olds/Cadillac Service Mgr is an ex-Tire store jockey so he is pretty adapt at times.

Since my wife is not in Fla my Intrigue is being driven too much by her and she says it is noisy but zippy so that means one foot on the gas and the other on the brake.

Will order the SLP cat-back exhaust system on Monday..Wednesday will be a quick 400 mile day and Thursday or Friday will be a dealer day for the Intrigue to install exhaust and eliminate the front rattle by any means!!!!!They will sent down a rental car..
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I was watching MotorWeek yesterday and began wondering. Why does GM have so many engine choices? Toyota has made their version of the RX300. And of course, it uses the 3 litre engine used everywhere else. Consider where it's used:

-6 cyl Camry
    -6 cyl Solaria
    -ES300
    -RX300
    -GS300

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Toyota doesn't use any other variant of V-6. Even if they do, their bread-n-butter engine is the 3000 V-6. They tune it differently depending on what it's used in.

GM has done something similar with the 3800 but needs to drop it to compete. That doesn't mean it's bad, just not what's needed to compete. Notice that Wards didn't put the 3.5 on its Ten Best the third year. Notice the timing. GM was determined to shut down Olds, didn't know if they were going to use it in any other division and therefore, was effectively killed because of Olds.

Now some might say, "No, they'll use it elsewhere." But that's speculation. GM hasn't officially promised to use it anywhere else. As a result (and this is also speculation), Wards took it off the list. If GM doesn't see the jewel it has and doesn't know what to do with it, why should Wards keep it on the list? If they promised to use it in, say, the Regal, I bet it would still be there.

In any case, I thought of this topic because of the Rendezvous. The new Toyota mini SUV has WAYYY more power than the Buick. As much as it pains me to say, Toyota has upped the ante. By the time Rendezvous hits, it will already be below the competition. That coupled with the "AARP" stigma of Buick plus the "quality" image of Toyota means that it won't do as well as it is expected. As popular as Tiger is, golf still isn't tops on the list of young folks. I haven't gotten into interiors. The Buick doesn't look "luxurious" at all; the Toyota looks great IMO. But I digress. That's for another topic.

GM needs to drop the other engines it uses, namely the 3.8, 3.4 and 3.1. If they don't because "we can't afford it", they'll be replaying the Oldsmobile song 2 or 3 more times. Put the 3.5 in all GM V-6s. Modify intake manifolds and exhaust systems to change the power ratings for individual cars. At least that will knock down one wall import buyers have put up. Why is it that GM is always the last one to leave the gate with all its resources?
  • Options
    mcap42mcap42 Member Posts: 5
    Took my '01 GL out in some very cold weather last night (15 degrees), had the rear defroster on and the front defroster on with the fan on high. After I got on the highway I was experiencing the "dimming headlights" like others have talked about. In fact, it seems like intermittant power losses to everything. Headlights dim, instrument panel dims, fan loses power. Will probably take it in tomorrow and have the alternator checked out. Would appreciate any more info people can give on this.
  • Options
    Do you know the source of your front end rattle? I've noticed one that only seems to happen when the engine temp is over the 1/2 way mark. I think its something with the cooling fan, but it's been so cold recently that I can't seem to get it warm enough to kick on.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Got our 99 GL 3.5 back from Olds service dept. on Wednesday after replacing the alternator with the new "re-designed" model; so far so good. Since the car now has over 39,000 miles on it (out of warranty) I asked about warranty on new alternator; 12 months/12,000 miles. Asked about warranty on radiator damaged by tech installing alternator; 12 months.
    Took the Intrigue to visit the in-laws yesterday; first long drive with the new Goodyear Aquatread III's; they are a definite upgrade from the LS's. Quieter and smoother riding (especially when I deflated from the 36 psi the Goodyear dealer initially set them at to my preferred 30 psi). Cornering seems to be pretty much the same; they are an 80,000 mile tire made to be extra good in the wet stuff and, with spring coming, this part was a high priority. I'm happy with my decision, after all.
    mcap42... You need to inform the dealer that there is a replacement for the alternator; Olds knows all about it; if they argue, tell them to call Olds tech assist.
    1415... I do all of my own maintenance that I can, primarily for the reason you mentioned: if I let someone else do it, they almost always screw it up! Including a simple oil change! I rotate my own tires so they won't screw up the rotors by overtightening the lugs (or tightening in the wrong pattern). I do understand your point on the warranty stuff; I just would rather not spend a minute I do not absolutely have to at dealership service dept. About 75% are morons; witness my experience with bashing the radiator while replacing an alternator! I really think your Olds service dept. has a lot to do with your rotor warping problems; I've not had a single problem with the brakes on our Intrigue after 39,000 miles and, believe me, my wife is HARD on brakes. I check them every time I rotate the tires (6 - 7,000 miles) and they look hardly used! I think Car and Driver's long term test exterpolated front brake pad life at something like 80,000 miles; mine certainly seem to be bearing this out.
  • Options
    Watching the Sixers/Phoenix game and saw the new Oldsmobile commercials. Not only has Olds extended the availablity of the 5/60,000 warranty to cars purchased thru 10/01/01, but they're now offering $3,000 cash back. Give it enough time and you'll be able to by an Oldsmobile at $4,000 or more off.

Glad to see Olds is using "real" commercials and advertising during programming that reaches, not just a specific audience, but international as well. I'm including our Canadian amigos.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of Michelin Pilots XGT H4. But that's no secret. You sound like a performance guy; I think you'd like them. Doesn't hurt ride quality at all. Wet weather traction is fabulous. Feels like the car is riding on rails when dry. When wet it feels like it's dry outside. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    mcap42... that is exactly what I first experienced when the problem started. It got cold in the fall and all of a sudden I had those problems. I had the alternator replaced in October and haven't had any problems until recently. Apparently it takes some time for things to happen. I called Friday and left a message with the service advisor at my dealer. Told him there is supposedly a re-designed alternator. Haven't heard back from him yet but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully this newly re-designed alternator should work and make sure and mention it to the dealer since they may try to just replace the alternator and it'll seem to be fixed but then the problem will creep up a few months later (if it's still cold outside). Hopefully the people who replace this alternator won't damage my radiator like what happened to white6.
  • Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    How long are the Goodyear Eagle LSs supposed to last? Those Michelin Pilot XGTH4s are sure sounding nice to me since I live in a bumpy area. I've only got 16K on my 2000 Intrigue but would definitely like to smooth some bumps out. I didn't really notice how harsh the ride was until my friend and I went driving around in his Accord. And took the same bumps with a great deal more ease.
  • Options
    I surely no expert, but for the record my original 3.5 engine (the one that had to be replaced after 1500 miles)ran 1/2 mark above the middle from day one and warmed to that point within the 1st 2 miles even on the coldest mornings here in NYS. Both '99 loaners from the dealer and my new engine run 1/2 mark below the middle. I don't know if that's an acceptable variation or not. Maybe someone out there more knowledgeable than I can shed some light on whether or not to be concerned.
  • Options
    1415, keep us updated on that new exhaust system.

one2one, from what I have read GM will soon have a new 60 degree DOHC V6 around 3.0-3.2 liters to replace the 3100 and 3400 V6. The 3.5 has a 90 degree angle and from what I have read, will not fit in smaller cars. Even though GM hasn't officially announced it, I'd say the 3.5 will replace the 3800 as that engine is being phased out over the next few years. I'd also expect a supercharged variant of the 3.5 in the future. GM spent way to much developing this engine to just drop it.

In today's paper there was a new Oldsmobile ad. This one was 1/2 page and was not for any particular dealer, but was for Oldsmobile in general. At the top it had all five models like the magazine ads do and says "5 year/60,000 mile General Motors Protection Plan" above them. Then the ad shows each model with the cash back amount under each. $2000 on all but the old Bravada which is $3000. The at the bottom it says "Or 0.9% APR on all new 2001 Oldsmobiles." Reading the fine print for the warranty says "must take delivery from dealer stock by 10/01/02" and on the financing it says 10/01/01. First time I have seen a newspaper ad like that as most of the paper ads are dealer specific ads.