Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is not a POLITICAL board - leave the political rantings out of this discussion.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Flickers : My head lights flickered once on a VERY cold night in January and have never done it again. I think I will have the alternator changed someday before the warranty is over, just in case.

1415 : Glad you had a nice trip. Where did you stay?

vezini : Sat in a new Bravada at the Toronto Auto Show. Still none at the local dealer, but they do have some 2002 Trailblazers in now. Might go test one out this week.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Not a big fan of the daytime running lights. Don't need them here in the south, but are mandatory up north due to weather.

I prefer to be more stealthy on the highway as i am a fast driver.

I wonder how much strain the drl's put on the alternator.

Still no bravadas on my dealer's lot. He just got in about 25 caddies. And a few more auroras. What's up with them going deep on the aurora? More profit? He still has the blue intrigue.
  • Options
    My dealer has a used 2001 4.0 aurora w/ roof but no chrome. They are asking $28,900. Thats about a $8000 hit. I wonder if they will get it? What do you guys think?
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Well this site has some sweet autos doing crazy things, check it out

Not for the bandwidth challenged!

movies

Oh Yeah, I want this guy's job

RS4 for a spin
  • Options
    Daytime running lights are great even in the bright sunshine or during a heavy rainfall. People can just see you faster, period. I didn't like them when they were first introduced, but I'm sold on them now. They are a great inexpensive safety feature.
  • Options
    14151415 Member Posts: 249
    dindak::::::Always stay at the "White Oaks" conference resort and spa; truly a class act with outstanding people and accommodations. Try the place once and the other places will never do again. Ask for the bridal suite/hot tub/fireplace/refrigator stocked with many different beverages and energy foods. Paid $145/Canadian/commerical rate--posted rate $385..

Political::::::We are losing the auto war which will devastate this country's manufacturing base, and it's ability to protect ourself in the future..Anybody who would buy an Asian brand car is a major contributor to our demise!!!!!PERIOD...

rbb2:::::Before you take your car back to Olsen's for the rep to drive...do yourself a favor. Inflate the front tires to 34# cold--it will help his hearing the rattle--trust me. If you are told that they fixed the rattle; check the tire pressure in front of them and make sure they didn't run it down to 28#..My tires are 34# cold; a little high, and I was surprised myself because I had been running 31# cold; so I guess the dealer is giving air away...

When the weather warms up I will have to lower the pressure..

bz4:::::::Most of the Olds dealers in our area are loaded with the new Bravadas and Envoys on the GMC side..The Motor City always gets everything first just in case an auto employee wants to buy something..

etharmon::::::I see the local Pontiac dealer dumped 2 of the 4 used Intrigues. The 99 Aurora with 16k miles is still there; and our westside Dodge dealer has another 99 Aurora with 6k miles. A week ago I called and it is routed to their Olds dealership--connect to a sales person and bingo!!!!you are informed that they will have to call you back after they check their inventory. A call back will inform one that they are all sold, great come-on!!!!however there are other cars available..
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... of the political comments. Town Hall is not the place for this type of discussion. We can talk about the Intrigue itself without getting into flames about political issues.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    1415 - you are going to love this but I did take it in last week and got a call from the dealer asking me "who put's the air in your tires?". I told him it was me and he said there was too much air in the tires and that was what caused the noise. What crap! I told him he was wrong and he said that's what they believed the problem was and couldn't do anything further. I picked up the car and drove off with a rattle still in the front end.

Got a call the next day from the Olds service rep. and told him what happened. He asked if I wanted to take it to another dealer and I said nope, I'm done with it. I told him my wife talked it over and felt we didn't need this kind of treatment and that we were going to test drive an Escape that night. I said that I had given 2 dealerships 10 chances at fixing it and to add insult to injury they try and blame me for the problem.

My wife and I did test drive the Escape but it's not for us. For now my search goes on for the vehicle to replace the Intrigue. I'm not dealing with Olds dealers any more on this. I have no faith in them. Olds lost my business as I was thinking about getting the new Bravada but not now. Not the way they have treated me.

The Olds rep just kept saying "I understand." I don't blame him but in my opinion if Olds really cared they would have tried to do something for me instead of closing the case with a very unhappy customer. Incidentally, I told him to put that in the case when he closed it -- that I was very unhappy and decided to take my business elsewhere.
  • Options
    smitty59smitty59 Member Posts: 3
    You may have to learn to live with the rattle. I've got a 98 Intrigue with 45K miles, and have had to live with several problems. Warped brake rotors were the first, and even though they've been replaced, they're warped again and GM refuses to do anything about it. I also had a rattle in the front end that turned out to be the intermediate steering shaft. Problem is, they've replaced that twice, and its started to rattle again. My CD player quit at about 40K miles, and that cost $450 to get it replaced (ouch!). I also had a serious water leak into the passenger side floor board for months until I complained enough that the dealer actually took the A/C intake apart and found a loose gasket. They fixed the leak, but now my car smells like "wet dog." It's not your father's oldsmobile.

Before you get the Escape or Tribute, check out the major recalls that those two have already had. Not very good performance right out of the gate.
  • Options
    What a load of BS. Good thing to stay away from Olds next time around.. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
  • Options
    That's a sad story for I have been down the path but not that bad; however they are getting easy to second guess.. I surely appreciate the honesty and I would not just dump the car because of the noise..

Please let me take this situation down the road; for my car has 39k miles and the rattle obviously isn't a critical problem as related to safety or premature wear of the front end setup.. I drive extremely fast and this car shows very equal tire wear on all four..

I believe it is in the energy absorbing front end setup or the plastic facia nose assembly..It may be in the strut and relates only to the rebound energy cycle which is harmless but due to strut design it creates a noise.. having had a 98 GLS for 26k miles and a similiar noise; it is a nusiance and not one I am prepared to get into as a money bail-out situation..

In spite of my rantings; the Intrigue is a tough car for I really don't care about preserving it for later life nor will I inflict undue abuse in an operation where I know will harm it mechanically to cause failure.

I own outright all my cars; but as mechanical items I respect them; and GM builds a competent car..

I will decide this week whether it is struts or the non-mechanical front end portion.

If you want to contact me try: www.j9709@aol.com
  • Options
    I have noticed that when i go over speed bumps with the left side going over the bump and the right side going over smooth pavement i get the front end noise.
    If i go over it with both front wheels i get no noise. Of course i go over bumps very slowly.
  • Options
    You will start hearing things now; bank on it, go get a new shaft and report back...

You missed some good posting today; for Edmunds pulled 2 of them due to the political nature/content which is any time you talk about Asian cars is political.. Oh well; testing Asian cars is big business for the rags..

End of the line; for it really amazes me what people must do to appease the general public..
  • Options
    etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I bet those were good posts. Funny how free speech just doesn't apply here. I know, this is a managed forum with policies, but still if the posts aren't harassing or obscene, I have no problem with them. I don't understand why politics is such taboo. For God's sake, we are paying these politicians' salaries. This dumbing down of the US political scene is how we ended up with a moron like Clinton for the last 8 years. Anyway, I'm with you on the Asian cars as well. I just don't get it. They are nothing special, yet people will buy them in droves. Overpriced, overrated, underpowered, and underachieving is what I like to call them. The Intrigue may not be a perfect sedan, but it sure is a heck of alot more enagaing to drive than a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry. But is seems just like in politics these days, no one is really interested in substance. Just a name and a rating(i.e. polls).
  • Options
    If Intrigue had the name Honda on it, it would outsell Accord. People are completely infatuated with Honda and Toyota. These two companies account for half of the most boring cars on the road. It blows my mind.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    As a subscriber to this particular forum if not a frequent participant, I find absolutely nothing off topic about discussing the manufacturing base and auto industry in general. Certainly there are other fora which specifically address Asian automobiles in comparison to domestic (whatever that means anymore) and I see stereotypical comments made there on occasion. It seems to me that any post here that is not vulgar or personally attacking another participant ought to be given a hearing provided it is in some way connected to automobiles.

Ken
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    I come to this specific site to get information on Intrigues. I find it a major distraction to wade through vents on other topics. There are other forums for politics and economics. I appreciate all efforts to keep us on the subject of Intrigues. IMHO....
  • Options
    I think the reason edmund's deletes the posts with political overtones is because there are many more people visiting townhall than actually post. These people, and there are thousands, may enter this thread for a just a couple of hours just to get an overview.
    The political posts are a distraction to them, and may turn them off altogether.
    Personally I don't have a problem with off topic posts and find it entertaining.
    But, i fully understand why they do it.
    i guess as long as we don't beat each other up and become to un PC we will be fine.
    I would still like to see edmunds ad a counter so that we can see how many people are on a thread at any one time.
  • Options
    Had a 98 Intrigue w/3.8 went the 26k miles before the General bought it back.. The car had a build date of 5/98 and devoured brakes along with steering items..Went through 2 steering gears and one shaft, two tires, 6 balance jobs, one windshield(Rocked), four rotors & pads and a couple of rotor turnings.. Many door adjustments..

No leaks though!!! Was a GLS with roof, chromes, and spoiler..White with biege interior.. My 99 GLS is Black w/grey interior-roof, chromes, and spoiler.. In my opinion, a smaller car looks better with dark colors.

I would think you should have the steering gear checked--for it is responsible if you have excessive wheel play from side to side. Tell the dealer to put in another inter-shaft for the one placed under warranty terms is shot..
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    rbb2 ::: I truly understand your troubles, and I wished that Olds/GM could get yours and everyone elses problems solved. Like you have have stated and many of us former owners have done, you may have to simply take matters into your own hands and go purchase something else.

I have been trying to tell you guys now for over a year, that in general the quality and service of all GM/Oldsmobile products are very sub-par. I know my dealer tried very hard to make my Intrigue troubles right, but you simply can not fix bad parts with more bad parts.

And the bad-news is, that it only going to get worst.
  • Options
    Jgriff : Thanks for the "tips". You are very wise. Still lurking around huh? How's the Honda? Honda rules!!

1415 : Sounds like a nice place. Was that in Niagara on the Lake?

Went to the home improvement store and picked up about 600 sq ft of wood paneling. Didn't think it would fit in the Intrigue, but it did perfect and the baby still had room for her car seat!! Some smart alec walked by and told me I needed a truck. I guess I will someday, but for a mid-size sedan, the Intrigue is pretty versatile!
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    sorry cannot agree, have had little or no problems (as yet admittedly, at 12.5k miles) and no problems with my dealer fixing them (albeit all minor so no big talent required). Understand folks have had problems, and I am the first to say its no Honda ( or Toyota) in quality (few are), but thus far I am pleased, as are others I have read here. Just wanted to say this so the grumbling is balanced of course.
  • Options
    cassaycassay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Intrigue that has been far from Intriguing. After only 2 months I had to have the cd/cassette radio replaced, which took a week of looking at a hole in my dash, the dash does not fit right on the driver's side, the rear seat belts had to have devices installed to fix them from jamming (under a recall) and just recently, a coolant leak caused the dealer to replace the ENTIRE 3.5 litre engine!!!! Luckily all under warranty, but the hassle of having to take it back time and time againg is driving me nuts. On the dash, the 98's look ok but if you have a 99, especially with the two-tone interior, look at the driver's side where it meets the door-it probably doesn't line up correctly. Mine was out a half inch. Olds didn't want to fix it, saying it was within spec. After about 5 trips to the dealer, they finally adjusted, making the rest of the dash come apart in other locations. If they would just fix the problem-the first time a take it in, I might be a repeat buyer, but not after this experience!
  • Options
    The resale value on Intrigues is so bad, for those with lots of problems take a huge loss if they trade it in. The car hasn't sold in enough volume for GM to bother fixing the problems that have popped up since day one like the front end rattle in the later model years as many with 2000's have reported them.

Cassay - Interior materials/finish has never been an Intrigue strong point. I was in a co-worker's brand new Hyundai Elantra today that had interior materials and finish as good as a new Intrigue. The engine/tranny have not given many people problems in this forum - I think you and one other person I can remember reading.
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    OH GOD, why did they have to replace the entire motor just for a coolant leak?
    I ask because mine is leaking. The water pump was replaced @ ~30K. The car also had a cam sensor replaced a few months ago due to a starting problem (the car would start up fine and die, the sensor cured it until now). I also have the dreaded flickering lights crap alternator syndrom. To top it off, the brakes are showing a need for replacement (although, I guess I am luck @ 47K). And then those noisy [non-permissible content removed] Eagle LS tires. Could they be worse?
    I have come to the conclusion that the Intrigue is a lemon in prince's clothing. Best ride I've ever had, also most frustrating.

Oh, a local dealer has 4...yes 4 2000 GL demos. And get this, they are firm on prices, and the lowest price I could casually get out of them was $19000. Nucking Futs
  • Options
    Thank you, someone actually understands my point. The point is, the "average" car buyer seems so shallow these days that they will buy(or will not buy) something based on it's name alone. When I buy a car(or any product for that matter) I look for substance. Sure, some brands are worth the extra and are superior, but in other areas this is not the case. Think about this, a basic Intrigue GX(which isn't all that basic) lists for about what a 4 cylinder Camry LE will list for, yet with the Intrigue you get a far superior powertrain, 16 inch wheels alloy wheels versus 15 inchers with bolt on discs, and much better style. Now, Toyota and Honda do excel in fit and finish, but the Intrigue is no Yugo in this regard. There are a few areas on the Intrigue where GM certainly did cut corners, but the same exists in nearly all cars. Personally, I'd rather the corners be cut on things like interior trim than under the hood. I'd gladly settle for slightly cheaper looking dash materials and get that wonderful 3.5 liter V6.
  • Options
    I don't think I sacrificed anything in buying an Intrigue. After almost 30K the car is still running smooth as silk and everything inside the car is solid and rattle free. Now I realize some people drive on pretty rough roads comapritively (1415 comes to mind), but it's not like the roads here are prefect. The interior of the Intrigue is better than the Camry or Accord. Yes the dash maretials in those cars are a little better, but over all I enjoy the cabin of the Intrigue much more. I almost feel like buying another, but I know we need an SUV next. My daughter is growing fast and needs something to haul the Turtle Pool home. ;-)
  • Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    For anyone who doubts the value of an Intrigue, price out one of my favorite cars the BOW 530i. Comparably equipped it is over $50,000. It will get you from a standstill to 60mph 1.2 seconds faster, and it may have a few less rattles. Folding rear seats are a $500 option; as is a ad player. I am approaching my one year anniversary with my Intrigue and still no problems.
  • Options
    Is the cam sensor the same as a crankshaft sensor.
  • Options
    lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    The 3.5L has separate crankshaft and camshaft sensors.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    etharmon ::: the point has been that for $22-30k car, there are far too many repeating problems. Some people are having go back and visit Mr. Goodwrench on regularly basis. After a while some people would relish a very boring ride, rather than having to deal with the repairs. OK so you and Dindak and a few others own a few of the well constructed Intrigue, what percentage of the bunch is that ?

htwired ::: Come on, comparing a 50k car to a 25-30 Intrigue. I could easily name several cars that will run 1-2 seconds faster than the Intrigue, and within a couple of grand, and without all the REPAIR headaches.
  • Options
    Consumer's research and others show that Intrigue has AVERAGE reliability. What part of that do you not understand? Perhaps mine is better than many, but I also waited for a couple of years till the bugs were out. Could not be happier with my car.

How's the Honda bud?
  • Options
    Dropped off my bronze beauty rattletrap at the dealer this morning to get those 9 items on my list repaired.
    They just got in 35 Devilles, Sevilles, Escalades, an Aurora and a alero. I asked the Gm as he was taking off the manufacturer plates and prepping them if they were a fleet purchase.
    He said that all of them were going to the "Hootie and the Blowfish after the Masters charity golf tournament" on Kiawah Island.
    After they are used on Kiawah they will go down to Hilton Head for the "Heritage" golf tournament.
    So, if you see a bunch of Caddys and Olds's on TV with "Miller Cadillac Oldsmobile" on them you know where they came from.
    He also said he was getting in 5 bravadas and another Intrigue GL in Ruby.
  • Options
    vezinivezini Member Posts: 38
    I took my 99 Intrigue in about six months ago for a very small coolant leak. I actually did not spot the leak as no coolant was on the floor of my garage. It was noticed by a friendly mechanic who was changing the oil. I took it to the dealer and he said that the clamp was not tight; and then they tightened the clamp (3.5 motor). I would appreciate any comments on this; should I really be concerned?
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for the info, vezini. I will check that

found this pre-december fortune telling about GM's plans for the next 4 years @ http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/gmfutureproduct814.htm

Intrigue: The Intrigue sedan will be freshened for the 2001 model year.

If approved, it likely will move to a stretched version of the Epsilon platform for the 2004 model year. The new car will take several features from the Profile concept vehicle, including a possible hatchback.

DOH, that would have been very interesting...Oh well

• Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    Maybe my post wasn't clear, so let me try again. In my humble opinion the BMW 5 series is an outstanding car. But if you compare the purchase price of a BMW 530i with that of an Oldsmobile Intrigue, the Intrigue is a far better value. If you read the posts at the Edmund's BMW 5 sereis board, even BMW has it share of problems. As a side note an M6 came on the market locally. This car sold in 1987 for just under $60k; it is my dream car. Nonetheless after a test drive I have deceided to wait for the series 2 M6 due out in 2004. Why because what was an exceptional automobile in 1987 is not that much superior to the Intrigue. The M6 3.5l in line six puts out 256 hp and 243 lb ft of torque, the getrag 5 speed is like silk, and running the engine to 6900 rpm redline is a gas, but honestly this 12 yr old car although in the past was at the top of the food chain in most respects is no more or better than the Intrigue. Fortunately I got out of the market before it got nasty. Hopefully the series 2 M6 will be available for U.S. cosumption.
  • Options
    j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    I may have to check out the 2003 Grand Prix since I won't be buying my wife an Olds in the next 1 to 2 years. Anyone know what engines will be offered in the redesigned Grand Prix?
  • Options
    I have been following the 2003 Grand Prix story and there is no word yet on engines. I really hope they offer a DOHC engine as an option at least. If they don't, they will loose a lot more current Intrigue drivers to imports down the road.
  • Options
    mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    I don't know why you guys are so hung up on DOHC. I replaced my '98 Intrigue with an '01 Grand Prix GTP in part so I could STAY with the 3800 engine. Of course, this one has a supercharger so it kicks serious butt, including all those so-called "refined" DOHC engines. Remember "sophisticated" is as sophisticated DOES, and the 3800 does quite nicely, thank you. (No oil leaks either!)
  • Options
    j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    mkco: I'm not hung up on DOHC. It doesn't matter that much to me if it's OHV or DOHC or whatever else. I actually had a choice since I bought my Intrigue in mid '99 when there were still some 3800 models around. I just wanted the "new" engine, pretty much because of that reason - it was new. Plus the 3.5 offers the "limp home" mode where it can run without coolant and it also offered the full-function traction control, and the 3800 Intrigue did not. Also it had more horsepower (and torque, I believe) than the 3800.
  • Options
    I am admittedly hung up on DOHC. I am a ohcaholic.
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    jgriff- yup, lots of complaints about the car in this forum, more than good stuff, but consider too that fewer who love the car or even like it and are satisfied will post as compared to those tiked off or unsatisfied. Sad but true. Your then using this as a barometer of how bad folks have had it, and how few are happy, is baseless.

mkco-dohc, yup the SC 3800 is great, but having heard several, they sound awful, esp. the blatty exaust. Sounds like a damn School Bus. Fast of course, but i recently took one after
    60-70mph in my 3.5 vs. a GTP. Top end, a dohc strong point always, even over sohc (3.5 300 M engine for example), is the reason. As for leaks, few 3.5's have had problems and 3800's have also had some leaks per forum discussions.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the 3800. Tried, tested and true. Problem is I have fallen for another engine. The 3.5L is just a bit smoother. and the highway passing is superb. I guess I'm hooked also.
  • Options
    Ordered one for the Intrigue today for the rear tower from the dealership. The GM pn is 12456148. Was ~$22 cdn. Now that I have decent handling tires on the car hopefully it will make a bit of difference. Will get the front bar at a later date, probably spend a bit more for one that I don't have to drill holes for.

Will post here when I install it as to how difficult it is (heard I will have to ream out the holes), and what difference it makes.
  • Options
    mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    I believe the Betty Ford clinic has a treatment program for that. Or, is it the Edsel ford clinic?
  • Options
    I thought it was the A.J. Foyt clinic for anger management and high rpm anxiety.
    The DOHC Ward takes care of those who are injected with 4 valve fever.
  • Options
    Took the intrigue in tuesday for repairs. Called them this afternoon and they said it would be ready Thurs.

They ordered a strut bracket or something. I am thinking that the chances of this helping the noises are about 0.
    Has anybody had a strut bracket thingee replaced yet?

1415 said they will rebuild my suspension piece by piece so i guess i will sit back and go with the flow.

They didn't tell me about the other 7 things on my list so i will prepare myself for multiple NPF's.

New bravada is on the lot. Truly one of the best looking SUV's on the road. THis one was well put together with flawless paint and panel fit. Trim pieces were nice. Rubber door gaskets are visible in the door gaps but i think this is intentional.

Interior is quite nice with perforated leather seats. Would like a little more rear seat leg room though.

I have been spoiled driving my intrigue with its incredible visibility. The bravada's rear visibility is not great.

This is a terrific effort by oldsmobile. They are building the best looking GM cars and SUV's.

My salesman says he can get my out of my lease. Remaining lease payments will eat up the $2000 rebate and the $1500 Olds loyalty bonus. Iwill get the car for a little over invoice.

If olds would offer a $2000 rebate on the 2002 bravada i would probably do that.

I am thinking i will be 6000 miles past my mileage allowance next March, which will cost me $1200. I will also have to buy new tires which will cost $400. For a total of $1600 before i turn it in.

Should i wait till next year or buy in the next couple of months?
  • Options
    If i buy a olds this year and use my loyalty bonus, will i get another loyalty bonus for this years purchase?
  • Options
    After driving several loaner Intrigues with the 3.5 as well as my father's Aurora, I'm becoming a DOHC fan myself. The 3800 V6 is a darn good engine and with the supercharger, it's more powerful than some V8s. But the 3.5 is smoother at idle(doesn't have that slight shudder like the 3.8 does) and sounds wonderful at full throttle. Abnd just imagine what a supercharger would do to this engine. Either engine is very good, but I give the nod to the 3.5 for it's extra refinement and smooth power delivery.