Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Man be careful of the police! They just love to arrest drag racers. Several years ago, a buddy of mine almost lost his license for a year, but the judge let him off with a very strict warning.

It doesn't surprise me that your Regal GSE beat the GTP. I really think the Buick people tweak the 3800SC a little bit more than Pontiac people do. I think Buick offered the supercharged 3800 before Pontiac did. A K&N filter should give better air flow, producing more HP & torque. I wouldn't be surprised if the HP was ~245 & the torque ~285 ft-lbs. Anyone else agree with me?
  • pjonkheerpjonkheer Posts: 22
    Hey guy, thanks for the warning about the police. I have a Valentine One, but that will not save me from a policeman on a coffee break without his radar on. Now that I think about it, I was out in St. Charles right next to the police department. I have only raced my Buick 3 or 4 times, otherwise I just have fun on the highways. I noticed yer from IL too... Where are you located. I'm out in Naperville. PS - Gartner Buick in Naperville/Aurora is a great dealership...
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Regal GS is somewhat invisible car. With the "retiremobil" reputation and so smooth movement, very few people expect it to move fast. Additionally, few people can tell it from Century from 100 feets. Even policemen usually would not bother to measure speed, except in "catch-all" trap.

It is hard not to recognise a race, though...

On the other hand, in the "performance shift mode" it takes only about 2-3 seconds to accelerate from 75 to 96 mph...
  • duffymanduffyman Posts: 3
    My '98 GS with 42K miles - - transmission wouldn't go into overdrive for about 3 miles yesterday after sitting in traffic for about 15 minutes. I have noticed slightly harder shifts of late - - it doesn't sound good. Also, my climate display also fizzled out recently, too. Guess it's time for another visit to the dealer.

These are great cars and I've only had minor problems (in the 1st year of ownership) up to now but this has me worried that major problems lay ahead. I've had a GM product in the past that had all sorts of problems at the 50K mark. I'm thinking about getting the above repaired (I do have a warranty) and dumping this thing. Too bad because I love the car otherwise but don't want to live through another GM product falling apart before my very eyes.

We'll see.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    My 2001 Intrigue is STILL in the shop for transmission repairs. Seems the reverse reaction sun shell was cracked and this is what holds the clutches in the transmission. The fact it had this problem bothers me, but I'm getting more upset that dealer had had it since Thursday of last week. Hopefully, I'll get it back Monday. Anyway, I did stop by the other day and while I was there I test drove a Regal GS. Wondering now if I shouldn't have bought one of those instead of the Olds. I like the crisp styling of the Intrigue better and it's DOHC V6 is absolutely wonderful to rev, but the sheer power of the Regal GS was very nice. Let's just say it had kind of a kick a** all American attitude about it while wrapped in an ultimate sleeper package. The ride was also smoother than the Intrigue's is. My guess is handling might now be as good, but it didn't seem all that different during my short test drive. If the transmission problems recur on the Intrigue again, I'll probably trade. I could probably do a Regal GS now, but part of me wants to hold off a year or so and get a Cadillac CTS.
    I live in the far north section of Hanover Park. My dealer is McGrath Buick on Irving Park Road in Elgin. Every weekend during the summer (weather permitting) a lot of hot cars gather in the Taco Bell parking lot near Irving & Barrington Roads. Buicks musclecars sometimes show up (Wildcats, GNXs, GSs, & Grand Nationals), but most are Chevys, Pontiacs, & Fords. Do you know of any Buick car clubs in the NW suburbs? I've heard that some car clubs sponsor cruise nights.
  • scatratscatrat Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I acquired a 1987 Buick Regal Limited T-Type (it has the original T emblem on both front fenders) last year with 24,000 original miles. It now has a little under 26,000 miles on it. It has the Olds 307 4bbl engine, T-Type suspension and rims, with 3.08 limited slip differential.

I've been trying to find out just how many of these were built. I've the number down to 1,697 built for the 1987 model year. I've contacted Buick and the Buick Owner's Association. This is the best number they can come up with so far.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to where I might be able to find out how many of these non-turboed T-Types are out there in the Base and Limited trim? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a '98 Regal GS. There's a small light in the cigarette ashtray/lighter compartment that appeared to be burned out. I replaced the bulb and it still doesn't light. Is it activated by a switch when the compartment door is opened? I realize this is a very trivial question to ask.
  • deibsdeibs Posts: 11
    Ok guys...i'm putting in a plug for a great forum with guys like us participating.

Try:

http://www.regalgs.org

Click on the "How To" and you will find....

Climate Control Fading Fix

Written by Brad Moore with original instructions from fugedaboudit.

Pictures by Zach Walker.

Yes...this is a simple fix. This is a problem that I had, and while under warranty, i had a swap done. If i had known about the fix posted on the Regal GS forum, I would have asked for the defective part back as a backup that i could have repaired as well.

The climate control unit is repairable. And this fix works. A number of guys have done it. Very straightforward solder job of some resistors that have come loose. The how-to section includes pics to guide you along with the fix.

Now...as regards the Superchargers on the regals being bulletproof...yes, they are fairly hardy, but they do fail. I had a failure of mine prior to 15K miles. I sprung an SC oil leak. I've talked to a lot of guys who suggest that the SC oil should be changed rather than topped off at the intervals outlined in the owner's manual. Based on my experience, I'll be changing my oil. You need a suction bulb to suck out the old oil. i'm told that when you take the oil out, you'll be surprised at how much metal debris is suspended in solution. So, better safe than sorry and change the oil rather than replace and expensive SC.

Another thing, the warranty on the SC is not a GM hidden warranty. Read your warranty manual and you'll see it's covered for an extended period of time, along with pollution control gear and some other components.

Feel free to join the crew over at the Regal GS forum. We want more members, so we can continue to share ideas and issues. There are some sharp guys over there and we're having fun modding our Regals. Hope to see you there!!!

best,

willjammer

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    Has anyone experienced a squeak or a squealing in their rear brakes that the dealer couldn't duplicate? it seems to occur in my Buick everyone once in a while, I've had the rear brakes cleaned and adjusted however the noise still is there when stopping lightly on the pedal, if i make hard stops the sound is not there, any suggestions?
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    I changed mine due to posts on this board at about 22,000 miles. Oil was very clear, no debris of any kind no smell,. looked like new. I replaced with Amsoil 0W30 in lieu of the GM 5W30 synthetic recommended.

Anyone have a problem with the air bag light. Mine will not go off and seems to be triggered by weight in the trunk. Load up the trunk and light goes on. going in to dealer this week.

Has been a good car but oil leak, bad rotors and now this, annoying problems

As to gas mileage, just returned from 1200 mile highway trip averaged almost 32 mpg. Great highway car.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    I've had my 01 GS for a year and a half with no problems. I only have about 10,500 miles on it. Best mileage I got on the highway was 26.4mpg and maybe in the area of 20 to 22 in town, depending on how I drive.

I don't care what some people say, my GS a sharpe looking car (Sterling Silver, Aboud edition). For the $s I paid, it's a quick, very smooth running car! Love the engine/ transmission combination.... Bought it over a Lincoln LS, Maxima, Passat V6, Avalon, Infinity I-30, Volvo S80 (what a dog with out the turbo), BMW 3 Series (overpriced hunk of metal with snobs for dealers!)... Dollar for dollar the GS beats them hands down!

I had better stop while I am ahead?
    Ditto!! Like the Corvette, the GS has "more bang for the buck" than most other sedans. I'm sure just about everyone in this forum would agree.
  • lotech1lotech1 Posts: 112
    "Bang for the buck" is what makes the Regal what it is... not perfect but I'm not complaining, especially for the price (as previously stated above). I like the styling (LS) and especially the front end and those 225x60x16 tires really make it. The color matched grill (01 and newer) give it a sportier look (IMO).
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    24,500 miles on the 2000 GSE. Oil pan leak at 750 miles, new rotors needed at 20,000 miles (warped) several tire problems and now it needs a drivers side airbag, light refused to go off.,

Beginning to think this was built by workers with severe hangovers!
  • lotech1lotech1 Posts: 112
    I often wonder how many cars get assembled using parts from the reject bins (by mistake or deliberately). My wife owned a Toyota that nickel and dimed us to death and those "Toy" parts cost an arm and leg. Our local Toyota dealer is running an ad claiming their Toyota owners are getting 200K to 300K without any major mechanical problems. Funny how they omitted our Toyota in the ad (bought from them). It barely made it to 120K.
  • sdcoburnsdcoburn Posts: 2
    After being in an accident where my Cavalier was totalled, I was happy to find a 1992 Buick Regal. It's been great for the three months I've owned it, but two weeks ago it began to stall while running, which means no steering or brakes. Sometimes it would start back up if I put the car in neutral and turned the key, other times it wouldn't start for hours. The mechanic (who also sold it to me) replaced the ignition module. On the way home, it lost power again 3x, but started back up. Fortunately, no one was in front of me. The mechanic says this is a normal thing, common to Buicks; I can't imagine. He doesn't have any idea what could be causing this, and I need a reliable car that doesn't lose driving power in traffic. Does anyone have information on this problem? Thanks.
    You wrote: The mechanic says this is a normal thing, common to Buicks

How it can be normal to drive on public roads, without steering and brakes?

It is so dangerous to everybody around, that, I guess, ought to be criminal. The car must be towed only. Would it be common problem, all these cars would be recalled a long ago.

The mechanic is lying. Look for another mechanic. And hope it is something not very expensive, for example a fuel pump.
  • sdcoburnsdcoburn Posts: 2
    I am taking it to another mechanic, this one has had the car for over two weeks, telling me he is swamped with work. The fuel system was checked and passed for pressure, perhaps this is an electrical/computer glitch. A VIN check revealed that the car was driven 40,000 miles in four years, and it leaks whenever it rains, front driver's side, sunroof and trunk.
    Thanks for the input, yurakm.
  • tls4metls4me Posts: 1
    I have a 94 GS and wish to install seat covers. Does anyone know how to remove the head restraints?

Thanks in advance
  • PAmanPAman Posts: 207
    If you don't hear from anyone, find an upholstery shop. They should know all or most of the tricks unique to the Regal for removing the head restraints.

The last thing you want to do is force them, hear a click or a pop, then discover that you broke some clip or other part that you'll need to keep them in place when you re-install them.

Joe
  • wiggy3wiggy3 Posts: 1
    CD will play but can not eject it. After pushing CD eject button, hear whirring sound for a minute or so, and then the CD player quits trying to eject. Anyone else encounter this problem and know a trick to remove CD without replacing car stereo?
  • rwtnpdrwtnpd Posts: 1
    I have a new (2002) Regal LS. On the freeway at 70+ mph into a headwind, I get a loud howl coming from around the sideview mirrors. Anyone else with this problem or a suggested solution???
    I can personally testify that this a very good site for Regal GS owners. Link was provided a few posts back. Lots of good information:

http://www.regalgs.org/

Does anyone know where I can get the classic Goin' Fast With Class bumper stickers? I've occasionally seen them, on Buicks of course.
  • I've got a '99 Regal GS that I've been real happy with till this morning. Took a short trip with the kids and when I pulled into the driveway I smelled burning oil. Popped the hood and saw all my tranny fluid gushing out the breather valve on top the transmission. I looked down my driveway and into the street and there was a fluid trail as far as I could see. Must have been draining while I was driving and now it was gushing out with the car running but in PARK. Within the time it took me to find the problem my tranny was emptied of all fluid. I have no idea why this happened. I called Aamco and the mechanics had never heard of fluid draining from the breather valve before. The car ran fine with no shifting problems. Once in a great while I had a hard garage shift but nothing that made me think there was a problem. Anybody got any ideas what's going on? By the way, this tranny has only 30,000 miles on it(car has 70,000). The old one was replaced just before I bought the car. I replaced the tranny fluid about 10,000 miles ago. I live in Chicago and do drive the car hard, but only when listening to Van Halen, Rush, or AC/DC. Thanks for your help.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    If some place (like a Jiffy Lube or something) topped it off with too much fluid (like if they checked it with the car not running) then when it heats up it might run out of room and flow out the dipstick/fill tube. I assume this is what you meant by breather? That's all I can think of. Especially if the car still shifts properly. If it ran out of fluid, the torque convertor would definitely stop transferring power, and you'd have noticed something was wrong.
    I would suggest cross-posting on the following board:
    "Transmission Traumas?"
    there are very knowlegable people here.
  • hupetahupeta Posts: 1
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the stock 6*9's. I don't want to pull the grills off, and I don't see any logistics in the trunk as to
    removing them, any help is appreciated.

--adm