Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    No , not even under the circumstances am I going to rename The President McKinley Cartman or anything that sounds even remotely like it.

Just thought I'd head off any possibly sleazy and impolite suggestions.

RJ
  • Options
    rgpetersrgpeters Member Posts: 2
    Hi:

I recently had my dealer install the Car Seat Tether Anchor. From reading on this site I know there is a plastic cover to put over it when not in use.

Does anybody know if this is only available in the US? If it is available here in Canada; can anybody provide me with the part number?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    osakaosaka Member Posts: 13
    I saw some messages regarding gas mileage and the power of engine.

(Fuel consumption)
    Your opinions make me surprised more or less.
    It is not until I read them that I realized you mention about gas mileage, though gas is much cheaper than that of Japan.
    Seeing MPV's H.P. and a number of mini-van's magazines, The ave. fuel consumption including the city and country are as below;
    FWD 2.0L, 5`8`11 km/L (18.8 M/US G)
    FWD 2.5L, 4.5`6.5`9.0 km/L (15.3j
    ADW 2.5L, 4.5`6`9.0 km/Li14.1j
    These values may be so bad because of a traffic jam.
    And what is worse, the price of gas is much higher than in US and Canadian's.
    It's about 100 yen/L.
    So almost Japanese may envy in your circumstances.

(Power)
    In Japan, we also often refer and discuss not only max.power but also max. torque with rpm in it's performance.
    2.5L,MPV's are this;
    :Max.power 125/6250(KW/rpm) = 170/6250(PS/rpm)
    :Max.torque
    207/5000(N¥m/rpm) = 21.1/5000(kg¥m/rpm)

As for MPV, I heard that the max. power isn't so high, but 90% torque arise around in 1500rpm.
    I think it means practicable engine in the town use especially. I'm also satisfied the MPV's power so far.

(Reference)
    Besides annual vehicle tax rate in Japan is too expensive. The larger the car is, the higher we have to pay the tax.
    From 3.01 to 3.5L : 58,000yen, From 2.51 to
    3.0L : 51,000yen, From 2.01 to 2.5L : 45,000yen
    From 1.51 to 2.0L : 39,500yen

Thank you for your understanding my English messages.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Who was that asking about taxes by engine displacement? You may want to hook him up with Osaka-san.

:)
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    It was abbanat, and I sent an email out to him.

-javadoc
  • Options
    abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    Do you have an e-mail so I can ask you a few more questions about Japanese taxes in relation to engine displacement? Was there not a heavy export tax in Japan for vehicles with displacement over 2.0 liters back in the 1980s?
  • Options
    daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    RJR425, We live in Allegheny Township, which is in Westmoreland County (read as Kiski Area School District). Originally, I'm from Penn Hills and Wifey is from the Munhall end of West Mifflin. Her Brother lives in South Park, about 1-2 miles from the high school in that Huge Ryan homes plan. He didn't listen to me and bought an "eh-gads" a Scaravan. He's an attorney, I think he is planning legal actions against DC when the Van starts to prematurely fall apart. Between myself and 2 other brother-in-laws here is the short list of what the DC vans did. All vans were 1996MY. 2 were caravans and 1 Voyager. All happened between 50-80k miles. 3 transmissions, 2 head gaskets, 2 fuel pumps, 1 new engine, 3 idler pulleys, 2 starters and engine lights coming on every 10-12k miles. I got sick of this and dumped it and I am so glad and happy with the MPV. The 3 bro-in-laws keep asking me about the MPV and I tell them to quit JAGGING (Pittsburgh slang) around and dump the DC and get an MPV and save your self the head aches. I think, they think, what they are dealing with is normal for all vehicles. None have ever owned Japanese before. PS were did you buy your MPV? I got mine at Don Allens.
  • Options
    guyperezguyperez Member Posts: 1
    I believe that little ping and feeling in the pedal is the anti-lock brake system kicking in. This same phenomenon occurs in my mercury mystique and my ford taurus. The mystique manual actually adresses the issue.
    guy
  • Options
    I know exactly where that "big Ryan plan" is. I live in it.

I bought mine at Tomsic in Donaldson's Crossroads. Good buying experience with a good salesman, Joe Bianchi. The only time I took it in for service (for perpetrating inelegant odors in public), I took it to Rohrich on West Liberty Ave in Dormont because it's about 5 minutes from where I work. Big mistake. I won't make that mistake a second time.

By the way, enjoy your upcoming trip, and let us know how it turned out ( forget Mickey; just tell us how much you loved your van.) ;)

RJ
  • Options
    cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    As I was driving our Silver '01 LX around this afternoon doing errands, I realized an added benefit to owning an MPV. I think we're becoming better drivers. Maybe because it's still new, and maybe because I'm conscious of the need to "work" the gas pedal a little more to get the most out of the 160hp, but I find myself driving more "responsibly". For example, slowing down at a yellow light, rather than gunning it to beat the red. Taking off slowly and steadily rather than jumping off the line. Waiting for a more generous opening in traffic, instead of cutting in quickly. I think I'm also subconsciously trying to eke out every mile per gallon I can get, but that's not a bad thing either.
    Then again, maybe as I get older, I'm always in less of a hurry. :-)
  • Options
    I can't believe I actually did this, but we see so few MPVs on the road around here that when I saw another silver one coming my way, I actually WAVED to it. I don't know why. I think I feel like part of a club of people "who know" and it's a feeling of cameraderie. I don't even know if "it" waved back.

Damn, it's a good looking vehicle, isn't it?
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    you bring up some valid points. We have had our 01 LX for about a week and enjoy driving it. I have never driven " like a bat out of hell ", even when I was much younger, I drove sensible. I value my life too much to drive like speedracer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going 45 in the left lane either, I keep up with the flow of traffic. The last speeding ticket I received was over 12 years ago. I owned a 86 Corolla GTS, same engine in the MR2, it was a quick car.

The "feel" you get when you drive the MPV is such a pleasure. I savor every moment when I drive the MPV, since it's my wife's van:( I love to chauffer my wife around:)

Pete
  • Options
    I see an MPV I really stare and check it out. The owner's must think I'm strange, since I'm driving a 96 Protege. Sightings of MPVs in my area are a rare occurence. Too many ODYs and Siennas around my neck of the woods. I like being different and unique, don't you?
  • Options
    I had a *great* snicker at a situation I saw at lunch today. I was just pulling up to the travel agency to pick up some tickets when I noticed your typical earth-toned (color w/o a soul...) mini(maxi)van of "another manufacturer" backing into the spot in front of me. Nothing special, right, just another van in a sea of them.

Well, someone gets out of the passenger door, and guides the driver into the spot, waving frantically and yelling at the driver that they couldn't fit! So, I watched as I imagined how easily MochaVan is to parallel park on the street. Usually a back-then-forward does it. Well, the Ody (woops!!) took a back-front-back-front-getouttolook-back-front-front-back to park.

Okay, okay, in all fairness, this humorous event could have been a product of the driver's parallel parking deficiency, but I just had to share it w/ other MPVers, so they might snicker along with me. I wish I'd have had the DV camera, to load it on my website. Maybe next time.

motor on...

--javadoc
  • Options
    h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    I think I'm gonna puke. ;) Feel free to flame. :)
  • Options
    I'll hand you a baggie, but I won't hold your hair back, heheheh. Check your profile...m.y. 1000 Ody?...

But, those two are getting pretty sappy, lol! They're great, huh? ;-)

--javadoc
  • Options
    whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    guyperez:
    From your response, I assume you have an MPV, and your MPV doesn't have this phenomenon, correct?

I did more investigation on this phenomenon, It shows up on both cold/warn/hot drivetrain. The trick to get it showup is drive (10s to 10mins, it doesn't matter), SHUTOFF AND RESTART engine, DRIVE, it will showup within 2-3s, lasts about 1 sec. It doesn't shownup if it is parked for a long time, say a few hours.

This phenomenon does sound similiar to ABS kicking-in, but my foot is on the accelerator, not on the brake! It is possible that the computer is performing an ABS diagnostic on driving after every restart. If this is true, then everyone should have this phenomenon, then it is normal.

Due to lack of response, am I the only with this phenomenon?

Can you give detail how the mystique manual actually adresses the issue?
  • Options
    stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    I had mine installed in April 2000 at my Toronto Mazda dealer. They gave me the cover at the time they put it in, all packaged up in the little envelope the insert came in.

If you didn't get one, my guess is your dealer threw it away. Maybe they come separately, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    guyperez:

Is this or something like this in your mystique manual? Found this FAQ in http://www.contour.org/FAQ/showfaq.pl?probs/crunch

"Crunch noise during first acceleration

This is the ABS system performing a diagnostic. It seems to occur at around 10mph after the car has been started. It likely does it at 10mph and not lower to avoid stalling the car."

Did MPV inherited this feature from Ford?

• Options
    I know I would have barfed paying MSRP+++++++ for an ODDDDDDDDY. How's that 1000 ODY doing, must be rusty.?
  • Options
    tango_28tango_28 Member Posts: 35
    I just changed a flat tire in the rain, not fun. I read a few message ago that you should practice this procedure. I highly recommend that you practicing changing the flat tire. The hardest part was getting the spare tire down, I wish I knew where the crank for the spare tire ( I had to look a the owners manual). Also get familier with the tools. Good luck to anbody changing a flat tire. P.S. those Dunlop cost alot$$$
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My one (and only) flat occured (discovered) in the parking lot at work. I also had to refer to the manual to figure out where everything was. The trouble was it took us (three engineers) 20 minutes to find that little flap in the carpet to crank down the spare. Talk about laughing our tails off after that one!
  • Options
    bcatusibcatusi Member Posts: 6
    Well, we finally had a chance to take our 01 Silver LX out on a road trip - Maryland to NY, or about 400 miles round trip. I must say I was impressed! Considering our previous sedan was a VW Passat, a car with VERY GOOD road manners, the MPV was a delight.

The MPV was quiet, easy to drive, and comfortable cruising at 70-75. A few times I looked down and realized I was at 80+ (oops!). We had more stuff to bring home than we went with, so on the return trip, we simply flipped down the third row and voila! Volumnious cargo capacity...

We averaged about 21mpg on the highway trips. I wasn't unhappy with that, especially since it's new. I was expecting to get a bit less - so nothing to complain about.

The one nitpick I have is the steering wheel - when it's cool out and the air is dry, it seems kind of slippery, and I like a good grip on the wheel, and it's kind of thin for my taste. I ordered a grey leather wheel wrap from Wheelskins (www.wheelskins.com - but you can find them cheaper at other online auto parts sellers). I had put one on the Passat and I have one on my Golf, and I can tell you that this is the finest leather steering wheel cover you can buy. Takes about an hour to stitch on, but it's worth every minute to do it right. The grey isn't an exact color match with the Mazda grey, but it's close. In the end, you get a thicker, grippier steering wheel.

Overall, so far - so good. I can't tell you all how many compliments we have received on our new van - family, friends, neighbors - all gush over it.

I must say it's fun to read the posts on this board...especially all the pokes at that other, rather 'Odd'-looking van from Japan!!
  • Options
    Talk about timing...

My wife and I purchased this van with the expectation that we'd need the extra space once we had a second child. Well, lo and behold, a week after we picked up the MPV, we found out that baby #2 is indeed on the way!!

What's funny about this is that we found out my wife was pregnant with our first kid one week after we bought our Golf. I told my wife - that's it - no more new cars!!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Dang! and I thought it had to do with the weather!

Here I have been leasing new cars left and right and never put 2 + 2 together(funny, I have 4 kids). Hmmm, I have another vehicle on order, should I chance it?

• Options
    Where on the Wheelskins web site can you order one directly? I need something like that for my Intrepid, but didn't want one of those cheesy Wal-Mart steering wheel covers. I went to the Wheelskins web site and there is no online ordering form. Do you need to contact them directly? Thanks

BTW congrats on the baby. My wife and I also just found out that we're pregnant. It's our first and we're very excited.
  • Options
    henrik7henrik7 Member Posts: 2
    Well we bought our 2001 Mazda MPV ES last week and we have really be enjoying the car.

Here is my purchasing exprerience: When I ask the dealer for the bottom line price he came back saying: "You are going to like this..." and he proceeded to quote me a price about $700 above TMV with 0% financing. They also offered me $700 more on my trade in than Edmunds says its worth ($1000 more than the Olds dealer had offered me). 0% financing? I had not heard about this... after all 0% financing in general means "the car is a piece of junk please take it off our hands." Well, I took the car home for the weekend and test drove it and both me and my wife really liked it (its going to be her car) We checked the newsgroups and my mechanic, we checked repair records and I could not find an red flags so we decided to strongly consider it if the dealer came down on the price by $500. I knew that even this was high from what I had read on this newsgroup, but the price was close enough for me not to go to an out of town dealer and pit him against my local dealer (one Mazda dealer in our town). When I told my sales person that I would purchase the car at $500 off he made the standard phony call to his superiors and after he finished said he could not take $500 off due to this 0% financing deal. I figure I can get 0% at any Mazda dealer so this was nonsense and I ask for the keys to my trade in and proceed to walk out after telling him I like the car and will purchase it, but first I would have to pit him against another dealer. On my way out he tells me: "let me check with my sales manager again..." and a few minutes later "I talk him into it" (yeah right!) we'll sell the car to you at your price. So I purchased the car.

By now most of you are saying: "0% financing?" First I heard of that deal.... well the story continues. Several days later I tell my work colleagues about my new car and one of them says "at 0% I may give consider purchasing the car" so he calls up the Mazda dealer to inquire about the deal and they immediately knows who send him.... it turns out there is no 0% Mazda MPV ESfinancing deal going on --- they made a mistake and had to pay Mazda quite a bit to make the numbers work out.

And I was about to walk out on them over $500... in restrospect I do not know why I never clued in on the mistake since no-one on this newsgroup mentioned 0%, but I honestly did not make the connection that a mistake had been made.
  • Options
    Come on, admit it. Ody drivers wave at each other too. You're just jealous because MPV drivers use all our fingers. ;)

RJ
  • Options
    crilecrile Member Posts: 1
    I am picking upp my new 2001 MPV LX tomorrow. It has the LX security package, Four Seasons package, Rear A/C, and the Rear Entertainment System. The final sale price with rebate is $23,444. Did I get a goood deal or should of I negotiated for a lower price. Yesterday I when I left the dealership I felt pretty good but everytime I buy a new car I always feel I could of got a better deal. Please let me know what you all think of my deal.

Jason
  • Options
    blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    The reason Ody owners only wave with minimal fingers is that they are thinking the other driver got a better bad color, or that they got their van for less over invoice, or that the other owner only waited for ONE month....

BTW, yesterday on the road, while driving home from taking Blondeoutofabottle daughter to school, there sat on the side of the road, an Odyssey with it's flashers on, female driver standing by with cell phone to ear.

About 30 minutes later, when taking Bratandahalfson to school on the same road, the Ody was being hoisted onto a tow truck. Tsk Tsk.
  • Options
    ...one of those "oozing" transmissions I've been hearing about, blondemom1.

--j
  • Options
    Do you really think it's very nice to gloat over Ody drivers' problems?

Because if you don't, I do.

;)

RJ
  • Options
    My plans of mall shopping were ruined today when I got a flat tire. (my second one if you remember)
    I was only 2 blocks from home, so I creeped home to call road-side. The first time I called road-side, the truck was out in 20 minutes. This time it took over an hour since the driver got lost. (my house isn't real easy to find)

Since I have over 40,000 miles, and my oil change guy thought my tires were worn, I just decided to replace them all with Michelins. The tire guy said that Dunlops do not have the tread life of some other tires, and tires in general don't last as long on a van anyway. He did think that I would be able to get 60,000 on the Michelins though, and they are cheaper than the Dunlops to boot.

As far as changing the tire.... I could have done it myself, since the kinks of changing it were worked out after the first changing, but that's what road-side is for, right? Plus, I had just done my nails. :)

I talked the road-side guy through it. You know, what tool to use, how to lower the spare, etc., and the job was done in about 15 minutes. It really is easy after you've done it once.

So, in the morning, off to the mall I go!
  • Options
    .... I find it rather amusing! And I just thought that h20guy is probably still lurking and that he would probably appreciate it!

• Options
    ... Correct me if I'm wrong, but do any MPV owners go and post over in the Ody-files? I for one don't ever even lurk there, let alone post there. Do you Ody owners have such low van-esteem that you find it therapeutic to check out how the MPV owners live?

But really, don't answer that. I'm not all that interested actually.
  • Options
    I purchased mine from www.autotoystore.com. $26.99 plus small shipping charge.
  • Options
    msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    I still have these three Dunlops in the garage with under 20K on em!
  • Options
    Sorry, got the Michelins today. BTW, just how would you go about shipping them to someone?
  • Options
    I think you got a very good deal. We just purchased a 01 LX with the same options plus a roof rack, minus the Rear Ent. Sys. and paid 22, 500. There were no Rear Ent, Systems on my dealer's lot. We didn't want one anyway, my Wife feels the kids get enough TV at home. Your deal was a little better than mine and I felt we did well. Hope this helps! Just my few cents worth.
  • Options
    I guess you're right, that's what it's for, but I have to admit I wouldn't have thought about calling roadside assistance for a flat tire. I think the guilt would have kicked in and I'd feel like I should change it myself. Guilt, and the fear that the person would screw something up. And the fact that by the time someone showed up, I could have changed all four tires. Of course, my fingernails aren't usually an issue. :-)
    Just out of curiosity, shortly after we bought the MPV, I called the r.a. phone number just to hear how a call is handled. After I explained that I didn't need help, I asked them if they just call AAA or if they have their own system ('cause we have AAA and I KNOW how long a wait that can be) and the very courteous young man explained that they call whatever company is available who can do the job fastest. That was the answer I wanted to hear. Now, with any luck I'll never have to find out just how good they are.
  • Options
    bob57 wrote:
    The trouble was it took us (three engineers) 20 minutes to find that little flap in the carpet to crank down the spare.
    I'm laughing because when I took my son out to have him help me with a "practice" session, I must have searched for ten minutes before I noticed that little flap!
  • Options
    Yes, maybe you would have changed the flat yourself, but let me ask you....

Are you a Blonde mom?

• Options
    Touché!
    Nay, but I'm a "used-to-be-blonde-once" dad. (now silver)
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I see that you've already had your tire patched. Regarding the "don't plug your puncture" advice, have a look at the following links:

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_puncture.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_puncture1.html

Looks like you can use it, but only to get to the tire shop.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Blondmom1,

I've purchased two complete sets of wheels and tires from www.tirerack.com in the past 36 months. They just put a round bit o'cardboard over each wheel, band it up, and slap a UPS sticker on it.

The first purchase was a set of Borbet Wheels with Yokohama tires for the Contour back in 1998. Then just recently, I got a set of used Cadillac Deville wheels ($67.50 ea) with the Dunlop SP5000's ($104 ea) for my daily beater Buick LeSabre. The whole bundle came shipped to my house for $730, I just bolted them on.

I almost bought some winter wheels and tires for the MPV, but after the first snow we had in downstate IL convinced me that it was not necessary. I'm running out of room with two sets of wheels and tires for all of the BonerFamily rolling stock :)

OBTW, I just did my taxes, IL is still not getting any state income tax from me. Which is fine, I just figure it would be sucked up to Cook county anyway. I like this work in MO and live in IL deal. I figure my state income tax paid in MO has a better chance of coming back to the STL area, than the same money would have a chance coming back to downstate IL.

Just thought you might get a chuckle out of that as you are in or near Cook county.

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    TB again has the correct answer. You can ship a lawn tractor with UPS, why not tires! I suppose there are several different carriers.
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    You can see it's not really cheap, but the no sales tax and the professional services of tirerack make it a pretty good deal.

The wheels and tires were $686.00, so shipping was $44, but then 7% sales tax would have been about $46.

Whoo hoo! I saved $2. I can blow it on a cup of coffee.

TB
  • Options
    jfc942jfc942 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 MPG LX with 3600 miles has been pulling to the left since I bought it. I brought it to an alignment shop and they told me the camber on the left side is -1.5', the right sideis -1.2'. The factory spec is .5' +/-1.0'. The technician told me the positive camber adjustment is already at its max. Is there a problem with the front end that you know about, do I have any recourse from the dealer? The technician told me the only thing he could do is extend the top bolt on the strut to reduce the - camber. Is there a recall, am I the only person experiencing this? Any help would be appreciated.

jfc942@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TB, Your right we lost almost a days worth of messages!! Including my Dr Demento post!!! How RUDE!!!