Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• Options
    mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    yeah, i was just going to say that, it is possible, by dropping a 4.6 in, the 275hp one (we're torque hungry) you could get one for 2500, i know of a place that does custom chips (only for 95's, cause its obdI. i know for sure it will physically drop in, wiring might be a pain........but this topic comes and goes all the time, no ones tried it

on a good note, someone on cadillacforums for whatever reason put a 4.0 into his cadillac (used to have 4.6) it physically fit in and all, just the wiring didn't match up
  • Options
    oh yeah, i think 270hp/280tq from intake and exhaust is a better guess

funny thing is, in a luxo sedan comparo, the sts and aurora were in there, 4.0 aurora weighs 3800lbs. 4.6 cadillac weighs 4000lbs. the cadillac got better gas mileage.
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    The Caddy gets better mileage because of the 3.11. The STS inherits this EPA rating since they are the same size engine and 4-speed auto tranny. The hp/axle make no diff to the EPA. The STS in reality will get worse mileage than the Aurora. You can get an idea of it from the GXP, which has the 275hp/3.71 and is rated at I believe 17/24 vs the Aurora's 18/26.
  • Options
    sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The STS gets the 3.71:1 axle ratio along with the HO 4.6. It's the SLS that get the 3.11:1 axle ratio. I have always wondered about the EPA MPG ratings.
  • Options
    the STS was the one tested, as sls002 said it also has the 3.71, and it got 1 or 2 more mpg if i remember right. im not reffering to EPA testings, but an actuall several hundred mile road test/comparo between like 8 cars. you would think the aurora would get better mileage, maybe the 4.0 just has to work a little to hard to be as efficient. im sure there's a balance between power/efficency/mileage, and the 4.6 comes closer to that, but im just guessing.
  • Options
    The current EPA tests have both numbers:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/feg2000.htm

In 2003 they just list one. In 2004 the STS is rated 2 MPG's less than the SLS. The same is true for the DTS and the deville. The highway numbers for the 4.6 with the 3.71 axle is 24 while the 3.11 is 26.
  • Options
    I can't imagine the STS getting better mileage in the real world unless they were driven differently. The Aurora should do better in mileage, as it's hard to imagine the 4.6 is more efficient at low-throttle at the same rpm as the 4.0. But I guess it's not impossible. Maybe the 4.6 has a less restrictive intake/exhaust to compliment the larger size, so at the same power level (cruising) it has less power loss?

It's also strange the EPA has a listing for the 2004 STS considering there is no 2004 STS.

Go figure...
  • Options
    I checked the Cadillac website to see if there was a 2004 STS and couldn't find one. Perhaps GM certified one before they dropped it.

The 275 hp 4.6 has its peak torque at 4000 RPMs while the 4.0 Aurora is at 4400. The peak horsepower is at 5600 for both engines. The point is that there is some tuning diffence there.

One real world difference is that the Aurora has the power mode switch on the transmission and Cadillac does not. So if the Aurora is always in the power mode, it could do more downshifting burning up more fuel.
  • Options
    The 2001+ Aurora does not have a power mode for the tranny. :)
  • Options
    I went to the library and went through old issues of Car & Driver. Found a long term test of the first generation Aurora. The skidpad number was 0.81 and long term MPG was 20. There was a test of the second generation Aurora too, and the skidpad number was also 0.81.

They dropped the power mode switch. I found that useful (when I remembered to use it) for passing on two lane roads.
  • Options
    mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    The link below has the article in Car & Driver that I think sls002 is referencing to as well as a ton of other articles I have looked at on this site the past couple years.
    http://www.auho.com/contents/cars/Oldsmobile-Aurora.shtmlver .
  • Options
    the link above gets you to the index of magazines with articles, but the C&D original article I had seen is gone from the C&D archive (outdated?) although ones after 2000 remain.
    sorry for any confusion.
  • Options
    stl beachbumstl beachbum Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2001 black 4.0 tonight - looking to swap out the painted alloys for chrome - does anyone have a good source?

The car also has the 'gold' option - any like to trade their silver badges for gold ones?

Thanks!
  • Options
    according to my gm service manual, power mode doesn't do anything under WOT for upshifts or downshifts, it just changes normal driving shift points to make it "feel" faster, and wasting gas by being at higher revs more often.
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I see these (2001-2003) up on eBay all of the time.
  • Options
    For downshifts, with the power mode engaged, the transmission shifts down at less than full throttle resulting in a smoother shift will less momentary torque steer. The only time I ever had a bit of torque steer was one time that at about 50-55 MPH I floored it to pass and it downshifted to 2nd.
  • Options
    53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    Question for you experts......

I'm about to finally get the '01 4.0 from the wife after buying her a new car. I have noticed that she managed to scratch the wood trim on the console but not badly. Is there a way to fix this up? Do you know what finish the factory supplied? spar varnish, polyurethane, etc.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I scuffed the finish with 400 grit paper then I used water based polycrylic. As long as you cleaned the wood finish with solvent I don't know as you really have to scuff the finish. I thought of using polyurethane but the urethane gives everything a slight yellow tinge from my experiences refinishing furniture at home.
  • Options
    huskerfan_21huskerfan_21 Member Posts: 27
    I have heard a few people refer to the molding under the front of the car as the 'chin-strap'

Well, I think mine is gone.
    I just bought the car, and it seems that I have both side 'chin-straps' (about 12" long or so) but there is a long empty area between the two.

Should I go buy one?
    Does it really matter besides looks?
    Does it affect engine cooling?

Thanks

Greg

'96 Aurora
  • Options
    The lower fascia is easily snagged by concrete parking bumpers, and eventually it will come loose/off.

Yes, it does affect cooling, and you should get it replaced. I don't have the part number handy, but it was $21 and isn't too difficult to put on (hardest part is laying on the ground for the 5-10 minutes to do the work, so if you have ramps to drive up on, this will be very easy).

--Robert
  • Options
    If anyone has the part number for this part (lower fascia), It'd be appreciated if someone could let me know, I want to order that pretty soon with summer starting and all.

Thanks-

Greg

'96 Aurora
  • Options

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • Options
    jd2kbluesubrujd2kbluesubru Member Posts: 2
    For those who want to sign the online petition, log on to

www.petitiononline.com/GMolds
  • Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Signed that a while back.

Peace.
  • Options
    Thanks for the number---
    ordered it from GM parts direct: It was I think $26 w/shipping.

I was also wondering if anyone knew how much labor/installation of the rear shocks would cost if I had someone do it. I dont have acess to a lift without paying a fee, so I didnt think that I could replace them. How many hour(s) has it taken you guys to change them out?
    Ac Delco 504-96 is the part I think, I was going to order them and take the car to a dealer and have them do that along with plug and wires. Any $$$ estimations? (I'm a poor college student)

Thanks-

Greg

'96 Aurora
  • Options
    I did my rear shocks in the driveway. The shocks took about 45 min. to change out. There's to small bolts holding the bottom and the top is just as easy! If you do the plugs & wires yourself by some chance (not real difficult but a little time consuming because the coil pack on the rear cylinder bank needs to be removed) make sure you get AC-Delco wires and plugs. The Northstar engine is very sensitive to this issue.
  • Options
    blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Greg,

Unless you have a physical disability, there's no reason you cannot replace the shocks yourself. Lift not required. Removing the rear wheels (one at a time is fine) gives excellent access to the two lower attachment screws and the air tube fitting. You reach the two upper nuts for each side through the trunk. ACDelco 504-96 is correct.

BTW, what kind of reaction have you received when asking a dealer to install parts you provide?

Good luck.

Les
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Here are the stats for the first leg of my road trip with the 95 Autobahn. All of these figures were taken from the DIC.
    Total miles (first leg only) = 430
    Average mpg = 24.4
    Average mph = 51
    total gallons used = 17.5

I am not finished yet, I am now in S.C. and the trip odometer now says 700 miles. I will update the stats as the trip continues.

The one thing I question about the DIC stats is the average speed. I was on the NJ Turnpike and Route 95 doing between 65 and 85mpg for 90% of those miles. How in haydes did the DIC get an average speed of 51 mph?? Does the program count the time you spend sitting in a parking lot? The 51 mph figure is just too low.

I know the computer on the 95's dont always record an accurate speed when you pull the history on the car from the computer. However, I always knew the computer to read an artifically high speed, not
     one that was too low.

Persoanlly I think my average speed was closer to 70 mph.

Henri
  • Options
    stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    Hey guys,

Back in Michigan after 3 weeks in Wisconsin as part of a new job. I have been driving a 2000 Chevy Silverado for the entire time and as nice a truck as it is, it was a treat to be able to hit the highway with the Aurora this evening. It's nice to be home for a few days and really nice to be back in my car.

P.S. I think I've finally convinced myself to pick up the Corsa exhaust...I'm thinking around August or so.

-Brian
  • Options
    Brian, where in Wisconsin were you? I'm in one of the Milwaukee suburbs.

If you call Corsa, let me know what they say about the continuing/ongoing availability of the exhaust (since the old STS model, like the Aurora, is no more). I figure August would be a good timeframe for me to get one, too.

--Robert
  • Options
    Umm..let's see. A little bit of everywhere, but mainly in Antigo and a stretch in Shioctin and some in Green Bay. Plus a day in Matoon. Sorta all over the place.

I feel pretty confident that Corsa will continue to have the '99 Seville system available for some time. It's available from any GM dealer now and part of their GM Restoration/Accessory site as a licensed product, so I think it'll stick around. Once I get closer to picking it up, I'll drop some updates.
  • Options
    Henry, as far as I can figure out, the DIC uses the time the car is on (engine running) to compute the average speed. So, if you drive 70 mph for an hour, then sat idling in a parking lot for an hour, the average speed would be 35 mph.

--Robert
  • Options
    Les-

The few GM dealers that I have talked to do not jump for joy when I mention the possibility of me buying parts and having them installed by them. After I told them they would be all AC-Delco/GM parts (plugs,wires,etc) they were a little more open to the question.

I dont think they have a problem with it as long as they are GM parts.
    I explained the price differences and all, and my "college student" status, and they thought they could probably fit me in if needed.

Anyone else tried talking to dealers?

Greg
  • Options
    But just for a while. I'm working with PCI a road and bridge co. for the summer. Hours are basically sun up to sun down. lol. The work is in Minnesota and Wisc. It's a chance to make a lot of money in a short period of time! I want to finish the 1924 house I have plus upgrade the mufflers. The exhaust pipes were upgraded year before last with stainless 3inch from scrap the pipelayers had at the job site (along with the bending equipment and the wire welders)and which they gave/sold to me CHEAP. I don't know what mufflers I'm going with yet.
  • Options
    Funny that you mention it. That's the kind of work I am in Wisconsin for..or at least part of it. Plenty of concrete in the air, but it's great work for the summer. It's just tough to leave the Aurora still.
  • Options
    I'm sure the Aurora will feel GOOD when I slide behind the wheel again!
  • Options
    I just glanced down at the trip odometer today. I am at 1,142 miles and still counting. I will be on my way to Santee, S.C. later today. Man I LOVE driving this car. I noticed a lot of Classics here near Mrytle Beach S.C. These southeners know a good car when they see one.

I actually saw a white diamond 98 with 51k on a lot down here. Even though my 95 has made me the Shop King, I still dont want to part with it, too much history (81k miles) with the car.

Henri
  • Options
    Henri, that white diamond wasn't for you, because it wasn't a 99, and it wasn't black on black :-)

Only 81k? Heck, I'm up to 83k on my '98 (and it only had 27k on it when I got the car over three years ago). I obviously love driving the car, too (it's a great freeway cruiser, riding in comfort and style).

Wishing I could do my penultimate driving trip, circumnavigating the U.S. (one of these summers, since I have been at my job 11 years and have 4+ weeks of vacation that I don't all take, *sigh*)

--Robert
  • Options
    I have put 85K miles on the car (not 81k). The car has about 97k on it now. It had about 12k when I got it.

Hey Robert, when you get to the Northeast on your road trip look me up. Just look for the "champagne" Aurora with the stock exhaust.
  • Options
    Over 2,300 miles and 98.5 gallons of fuel later.
    Details to follow. . . .
  • Options
    oldskoololdskool Member Posts: 4
    signed petition today. Is there any truth to the rumor that GM's caddy division is going to take over the oldsmobile line and keep the aurora alive? Any info on recalls on the LSS?
  • Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    I highly doubt that will happen, when OLDS came out stating that Olds will stop production in 2004, that was it the end of it, they would of mentioned back then that GM's Division Cadillac would be taking production of OLDS. I think at one point that was the speculation, that Cadillac would pick up the Aurora, but it did not happened.

Javi.
  • Options
    95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    I'm interested in putting in thicker sway-bars in. I saw Henry put in a 99 Aurora front bar and a STS rear bar. My questions are:

1) I thought 97's had the stiffest susp? That's doesn't include the bars?

2) Can anyone definetly say that the STS front bar will not fit?

3) I wonder if they were variations from year to year differences on the STS's like our Auroras? If so, what's the best?

4) I would need to know what else is required besides bars? I saw someone replaced the endlinks and bushings with polyureathe. I what like to do this as well. Anyone know where I can get them?
  • Options
    blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Shawn,

1) Stiffest of what? Auroras, yes. Cadillacs, I don't know. The Aurora rear bar is hollow 17mm; the STS bar is 22mm.
    2) Don't know. I recall that Henri said the STS front bar is 29mm -- same as '97-'99 Aurora (earlier ones may have been smaller).
    3) Don't know.
    4) Try Energy Suspensions and Quickor for polyurethane bushings and end links. Our Auroras have bushing brackets that are P-shaped and retained by a single bolt, unlike most brackets that are U-shaped and retained by two bolts.

Les
  • Options
    Total Miles = 2,320
    Total gallons = 98.5
    Problems encountered = (zero)
    Times it did the 1 second start delay = 7

One thing I did notice is that the car is back to doing the 70mph "shake rattle & roll". Time for the tire rebalance.

Henri

P.S. The dealer in S.C. had sent out the white 98 to have the bumper painted when I returned during business hours. I never saw the car again because I left before it came back.
  • Options
    Anyone out there know of a mint (or new)Final 500 for sale? My wife won't let go of her '01 4.0 even though I offered to buy her a new car.

I wanted one last year but couldn't swing it financially. Things have loosened up and it's time to move.

Bryant, if your still out there, how is your holding up? I assume the one at your dealership is long gone.

--John
  • Options
    I've seen two come up on eBay Motors recently. The more recent one, the seller put the starting price of it $65k - no lie (the guy is dreaming). Another, which had maybe $16k miles on it, hit $20k but didn't make the reserve.

--Robert
    who is using AutoTrader to keep his eyes open for a cream puff black '02 or '03
  • Options
    I'll keep an eye out for you John. The dealer by me was getting a couple of Final 500's in, but they were all spoken for before they even got them. I can give them a call though just to see what the word on the street is.

What'll you be upgrading from?
  • Options
    RJS- Man, thanks a ton. Please do check or email me with the dealer info. If I recall you live in Virginia. I watch your posts very closely on this board. There aren't very many Olds enthusiasts.

Hammen - Bryant sent me a lengthy email today alerting me of your find on ebay. I'm going there next to research. Thanks.

RJS- I currently have a '53 88 and an '01 4.0 that the wife won't part with even though I offered to buy her a new car. What wife would do that?

Certainly, I'm no stranger to Olds. This will add to my cars; not be a replacement. No, I haven't told the wife I'm NOT getting rid of the pick-up truck. Besides, I would never haul dirt bikes and quads on a trailer behind an Aurora!

I'm in no rush other than pure desire so I can wait for one. I have some leads to check on a 2003 at a dealer with less than 4,000 miles on it but the 500 is the dream.

John
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is a very ill-advised thing to do. Unless you are seeking to be overwhelmed with spam, that is! ;)

It is far better to make your email address public in your profile than to post it. That way someone has to be a logged-in legitimate Town Hall member to see it. Posting it lets all the spam-bots in the world harvest it, but making it public in your profile keeps people who are not logged in from seeing it.

You might want to delete your message and repost without the specific address - you can make it public in your profile - that will serve your purpose without the headaches.

Trust me. :)