Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• Options
    krisskriss Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I will start there and have the Mass Airflow Sensor replaced and see what happens. Hopefully it is the answer! That would be great! Kriss
  • Options
    mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    hey everyone...havn't been here in a while

i think i posted here, i sold the aurora, bought a 01 alero gls (loaded, for a alero) which i actually really like. looks good inside and out, i did some suspension mods (drop/struts) and it handles really well, and finally looks good...

anyways, ive got a question. im in search of some 17" rims. what im wondering, did the aurora have more than 1 style 17" rim? because i really like the way the 2001+ 3.5 16" looks, but i want to see if i can find that, in a 17". i think it would match my alero...but the 17" aurora rims ive seen i dont think would flow well

thanks!
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Hey MrDubya, congrats on the new ride. I really liked the way an ecotech Alero drove that I had as a rental.

The Aurora had chrome and aluminum finished wheels in the same style. The Final 500 had a set of STS 17" wheels with a collector's edition center cap. They were like a 7-spoke straight spoke design. They are all 17x7.5", which is an inch wider than the Alero's 16" wheel and 1.5" wider than the 15" wheel.
  • Options
    enduroedenduroed Member Posts: 4
    Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum, have done allot of research on the Aurora, test drove a few, and have a chance to buy one at a good price, I think.

Anyway, it's a 2001, pristine condition, 40,529 miles, V8 and they were asking 17K and now have them down to 13K.

Are there any recommendations out there? I would appreciate any comments such as: Is this a good price?, is there anything to look out for?, and what do you guys & girls think of this car?.

Tks, Ed
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hello Ed, welcome!

While you wait for some comments here, why don't you hop over to our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and ask there as well? Take note of the list of details (in red just above the post box) to include in your post.

Good luck!
  • Options
    That sounds like a great price to me, but it's been several months since I've paid attention to the market.

The V8 was pretty loaded already but there are a few options like heated seats, sunroof, bose stereo, and gold badges. I doubt they affect the price much, but just so you know what there was available, etc.

What is the build date on the car? That's what I would use to determine if it were the car for me. That and the service history, and obviously the condition of the car. Earlier build 2001's had a lot more issues than later build ones, but you can check to see what things have been fixed already.
  • Options
    Thought I'd take the Aurora to work on this beautiful election day. I hope my candidates run as strongly as my V8 does in this 55F weather.

I think my car might be contracting the ISS issue. The steering has a subtle grinding when turning. It's most noticeable in slow-turning. As the wheel rotates, there are certain spots where it will click/grind, it isn't like a constant thing. As you rotate the wheel through a 90 degree turn, you might feel 2 or 3 spots where it clicks.

Are all of you all still around? It seems like the only posts anymore are in the Problems & Solutions board. I hope our board doesn't go the way the Intrigue one has and just become one about problems. Here's to hoping you all are just out there driving your Auroras and having too much fun to stop and post about it. :)
  • Options
    53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    Robert,

I'd have to agree with your assessment on the ISS. I've had it done several times on the '01 with about 35k on it.

Yeah, I agree. This board does get quiet occassionally but it always seems to come back. Looks like some members have migrated to the other board where I see you post frequently.

I took the 500 out last weekend with my son and nailed it for a little bit. My son was shocked at the power and begged for more. For some reason the 500 does not seem as fast as the '01 but it might be due to having so few miles on it.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    RJS et al, hello. Still enjoying my 01 4.0. Coming up on my 1 yr with the car on 11/25 (Thanksgiving!), and I am thankful. Bought car with 52k will have 67k, so I've driven 15k for the year. More than I expected , but we just moved to another house. As a result, my commute has increased from 30 miles a day to 50 miles. I am getting about 23mpg in this commute, which I cannot complain about. RJS, I had the ISS lube done at 56k. I don't remember the steering sticking or grabbing, but I got clunking noises during slow parking maneuvers. All is quiet now. Love the car. Current weather allows windows, sunroof open motoring. Love to hear the refined muscular sound of the V-8. The car has such a wonderful overall balance of ride and handling. Seats fit me like a glove. Very few things I would change. Folding rear seat? A couple of maintenance items are coming up. Last trip to dealer, I was informed my front brake pads are at 10% thickness. I think the car is on the original pads, but I speculate. Should I replace with OEM, or go with something else? Can't complain about how they currently perform. I have a tire balance problem at speeds greater than 65. Seems worst at 67, and by 80 all is smooth again, but can't drive that fast here without a blue light special. Junk tires I guess. Had the tires road force balanced, with some improvement. Will need to replace in next while. Suggestions? I know Michelins came standard, currently have Goodyear Eagle LS. Came on car when I bought it. A/C compressor noisy, but works fine. Dealer said extended warranty will not replace until it fails completely. Anyone with similar experience with extended warranty requirements? Sorry so long winded. Though I read the forum daily, I can't respond from the office. Time limited once home. But I am here in spirit. Everyone, enjoy your fine rides!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    SDA,

The wheel vibration between 65 and 80 is common and there is even a tsb on it. GM claimed that on the last of the Final 500s, they altered the front A arms to resolve the problem. My 500, one of the last 100 made, still vibrates at this speed even though it is after the VIN that was identified with the modification. I guess all you can do is have the tires force balanced. You can look at the link below to find a service station near you.

http://209.176.154.132/

John
  • Options
    rocket3_50rocket3_50 Member Posts: 42
    53rocket, where can I go to find out more about that? My 500 is #375, and I'd like to know if that modification has been made on my vehicle. The tires and wheels have been road-force balanced from the beginning, and I have not experienced the 65 - 80 mph vibration.

Ken
  • Options
    This is the info supplied to me by another board member. It should answer your question. If not, let me know. As you can see it originated on the Edmunds Bonneville Board. It is referencing at he tsb on the subject.

#4066 of 4101 Re: GXP Vibration [ravenfive #4063] by desertrat5 Jul 02, 2004 (6:22 pm)
    There is a TSB out. Don't know whether it applies to your car or not. I have an '04 SLE and it has the same problem with 17" RSAs and my wife's '00 Ultra has the same problem with Pirellis. Seems to be an inherent feature of the GM full sized 4 door. Here is the TSB.

Bob in Glendale

Document ID# 1455223
    2000 Buick LeSabre
    Shake/Vibration in Steering Wheel, Floor, Seat at Highway Speeds on
    Smooth Roads (Diagnose/Balance Tires/Wheels) #00-03-10-007F - (02/05/2004)
    Shake/Vibration in Steering Wheel, Floor, Seat at Highway Speeds on
    Smooth Roads (Diagnose/Balance Tires/Wheels)

1998-2004 Buick Park Avenue, Park Avenue Ultra

2000-2004 Buick LeSabre

1998-2004 Cadillac Seville (SLS, STS)

2000-2004 Cadillac DeVille (DTS only)

2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

2000-2004 Pontiac Bonneville (17" Tires only)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year and delete the
    screened tire program information for all tire manufacturers except for
    Continental General. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number
    00-03-10-007E (Section 03 - Suspension).
    Condition

Some customers may comment on shaking/vibration in the steering wheel,
    floor or seat while driving at highway speeds (typically between 60-72
    mph (96-115 km/h)) on smooth roads.
    Cause

These specific vehicles may be sensitive to various rotating mass
    assemblies, especially if they are considered to be out-of-balance.
    Correction

1. Visually inspect the tires and the wheels. Inspect for evidence
    of the following conditions and correct as necessary.
               * Missing balance weights
               * Bent rim flange
               * Irregular tire wear
               * Incomplete bead seating
               * Tire irregularities
               * Mud/ice build-up in wheel
               * Stones in the tire tread
        2. Set the tire pressure to 30 psi (205 kPa) COLD.
        3. Road test the vehicle with the Electronic Vibration Analyzer
    (EVA) essential tool for a sufficient distance on a known, smooth road
    surface to duplicate the condition. Record the Hertz (Hz) reading as
    displayed by the EVA onto the tire data worksheet found at the end of
    this bulletin. This should be done after a tire break-in period of at
    least 10 miles (16 km) at 45 mph (72 km/h) or greater, in order to
    eliminate any possible tire flat-spotting.
        4. If the road test indicates a shake/vibration still exists, check
    the imbalance of each tire/wheel assembly on a known, calibrated,
    off-car dynamic balancer. If any assembly calls for more than ¼ ounce on
    either rim flange, remove all balance weights and rebalance to as close
    to zero as possible.

Important

Some GM dealers may have a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancer.
    This will simplify Step 5 by not requiring dial indicators. If a Hunter
    GSP9700 machine is available, it may also be used to measure the radial
    force of the tire/wheel assembly. A guideline here is 18 lbs or less.
        5. While on the balancer, measure wheel runout. If radial or lateral
    runout exceeds .020 in (0.50 mm) for aluminum wheels (.030 in (0.76 mm)
    for steel wheels), replace the wheel.
        6. After confirming wheel balance and wheel runout, if any changes
    were made, road test the vehicle again.
        7. If the smooth road shake/vibration still exists:

Important

The completed worksheet must be attached to the hard copy
    of the repair order.
                 Record Radial Force Variation readings if you have access
    to Hunter GSP9700 Wheel Balance equipment. Use the worksheet found at
    the end of this bulletin to record the readings.
               * If one or more of the tires have RFV readings in excess of
    18 lbs, match mount the tires to get below 18 lbs. Readings of 12 lbs.
    or less are preferable for critical customer concerns.
               * If the RFV can not be reduced to an acceptable level,
    replace the affected tire with one obtained locally.
               * The screened tire program is no longer in effect for
    Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyear and Michelin. Low speed screened tires
    are available from Continental General only, and only for the Buick LeSabre.
               * Road test the vehicle to ensure the shake/vibration has
    been resolved.
        8. Replace both lower control arms on vehicles built prior to the
    following VIN breakpoints. On Aurora, Bonneville, DeVille, Park Avenue,
    Park Avenue Ultra and Seville models, a newly developed hydro-bushing
    lower control arm with improved damping characteristics has been
    released. This control arm is not used on the LeSabre. The new lower
    control arms may provide an incremental improvement to the vehicle ride.
    Customers who have become "tuned in" to the shake condition may still
    feel some shake in the vehicle after the new lower control arms are
    installed. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement in SI (refer to the
    Parts Information table below for SI document ID numbers).

Important

THE CONTROL ARMS SHOULD ONLY BE INSTALLED ON VEHICLES IF, AFTER
    THE TIRE AND WHEEL DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIRS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED, THE
    VIBRATION CONDITION STILL EXISTS.

Model

VIN

Park Avenue

Seville (SLS, STS)

3U247643

DeVille (DTS only)

3U247644

Aurora

Bonneville

Parts Information

P/N

Description

SI Document

Lower Control Arm, Left (Aurora, Bonneville, DeVille, Park Avenue, Park
    Avenue Ultra, Seville)

Aurora -- 639351

Bonneville -- 657809

DeVille w/FE1, FE3 -- 724856

DeVille w/FE7 -- 724858

Park Avenue, Park Avenue Ultra -- 657760

Seville -- 539332

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    My service manager followed this procedure for my 03 LeSabre with Michelin Symmetry 16 inch tires.

The force variation of 12 pounds is a maximum if you're a perfectionist about the slight shake.
    I have one that was 12, the others were all single digits. I can tell when the 12 is rotated to the front. If you want perfection, get a tire - wheel combo with less than 12. It may mean new tires for two of the rims, assuming new ones will have less uneveness than the ones you already have. That may not be true...

The dealer was putting new tires on a Gran Prix for shake problems. They measured in the high teens and were a name brand same as the original tires (the company used blimps).

Does anyone who why the new A-arms aren't available for LeSabres? Are LeSabre's different in build quality than Park Avenues (they look the same underneath) or the other related cars? Aurora, STS, Deville.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    Pretty sure its because the LeSabres use 16" as where the previously listed cars use 17".
  • Options
    2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    What's better, Mobil 1 Synthetic, or Valvoline Synthetic, or do you think they're pretty equal?

John
  • Options
    sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Both meet the Covette GM4718 standard for synthetic oils. So, yes I would say they are equally good. I plan to ask my new Cadillac dealer (now a Chevy-Cadillac dealer) to put Mobil one in my Cadillac, since they should keep it on hand for the Corvettes. I considered using it in the 98 Aurora that I had, but the oil monitor called for changes at 3000 to 4000 mile intervals, which would have been expensive. The newer northstars go much further between changes, at least twice a far, so cost is much more reasonable.
  • Options
    I have a 97 and an 01 Aurora. The 97 is mine and the 01, which was mine, is now my wife's. I washed both today, and as I was driving up to vacuum hers out, I just noticed how much "tighter" the 97 feels. No rattles at all; surprising for a 8 year old car with 77,000 miles. The 01, on the other hand, with only 34,000 miles, rattles like crazy, mainly from the dashboard area, and the suspension doesn't seem as tight. This is not a criticism, merely an observation. I really like both my Aurora's, just surprised by the difference.

John
  • Options
    My 2002 Seville, which is the same wheelbase, seems very tight yet at 28000. But the 01 Aurora may have been a lighter body like the Lesabre/Bonneville, while the Seville is heavier. My 98 Aurora was still tight with a bit over 50,000 on it when I traded.
  • Options
    Why did you trade your Aurora??
  • Options
    I was reading on the oil boards this morning that switching to synthetic on a higher mileage car , in my case 77,000, is really a waste of money. I tend to disagree. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    I don't read the oil boards, so I don't know -- what is the reasoning behind "really a waste of money"? Engine wear doesn't stop at high miles.

I started using Mobil 1 in my V6 Fiero at about 80,000 miles, somewhat concerned about the common advice that oil leaks would develop. None did and the oil-smoke-on-startup problem disappeared (almost all Chevy 2.8L V6s suffer from leaky valve stem oil seals at high miles). With that experience I started using M1 right away when I purchased my '97 Classis at 37,000.

Les
  • Options
    What time and mileage do you have between changes for your Mobil1.
    I'm curious how the cost compares to regular oils and whether there's any advantage.

• Options
    A miscalculation. The salesman that sold me the Aurora said they had a $15,000 discount on the last 2002 Cadillac. I said I would look. It turned out that they only had $6000 in incentives. I told them that I had figured on trading for about $25,000. They figured ~34,000. I went home. They called back and I agreed that I could pay more ($28,000). But by Holloween night they still wanted over $30,000. I went home and the salesman called and I agreed to $28,500, thinking that the sales manager would never go for it. He did.

The Seville was new, the Aurora, four year before, had been a program (used) car. The warranty had run out a year before. I am quite happy with the Seville, the interior space seems much bigger, like my 1995 Riviera's. The Seville handles nearly as well as the Aurora and has more power. Fuel consumption seems about the same.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    My mechanic's serviceman wants to race me with his turbo charged 4 banger Dodge. My 95 Classic has close to 101,000 miles on her. Would you guys take the bait??
  • Options
    dr_turbodr_turbo Member Posts: 60
    What to do? Every time I drive this car I have to listen to the warning chimes going off. What can I do to fix this before I go crazy. Thanx.
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I'll be right over with my GTO :-)
  • Options
    If so, it'll smoke you Henri. The car is smaller and lighter, so that ~215hp has a lot less to pull around.
  • Options
    1skiman1skiman Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Aurora 2 yeara ago, it's a clean, green 97 with chrome wheels, no roof though. I get 32 mpg on the hiway and 20 around town. I though that I would share my expiriences with you avid Aurora Fans! From the first day I had it with 70K on the odometer I put M1 in and change the oil every 7,000 miles. I always use a AC Delco filter-never use Fram . I have 92 k on it now, burns about 3/4 quart between oil changes. I have an 97 Astro van AWD that I put on 35k a year and have M1 in the transfer case, rear diferential and in the crancase. I sometimes,pull a 4500 pound boat and trailer. Change the oil every 8,000 miles and burn about a quart between changes. 20 mpg on the hiway at 65 mph.
    On the Aurora, I just replaced the front struts and the rear air shocks at Sears with Monroe equipment, I like it. ($409.00)
    Rides a bit firmer, but no nose dive when I slam on the brakes. Also had all new rotors and ceramic pads( Wagner) installed. Stops great. I did not want to mess around with turning the rotors. ($570)Got a force 4 wheel alignment. Rides nice

I have had KUMHO ECSTA KHll 235/60, all weather tires on for about a year, Tirerack.com, great traction in the rain and the snow, rides quiet. handles well but when I push it on the entrance ramps get some tire squeal at about 65mph. I have only 10k on them but show no signs of wear. Great Tires. Buy these tires.
    I had the dealer replace the tranmission fluid at 90k,($99), no problems
    I like the Aurora. Steady and fast,it consistantly pushes 100mph after I hit the straight away on the entrance ramps. As it is my wife's car, and when I am driving, she is reading in the passenger seat and does not even realize we are at the century mark. She has remarked that it sounds louder when we accelarate!
    My only problem is the rumble when I turn the wheel slowly, dealer said power steering problem, DUH.
     Enjoy reading the small problems and comments.
    Hope your Aurora's do not develop all of the little problems.
    Keep them shiny!
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    Just did periodic wash/wax/detail on my 01 4.0. It looks great. You would never guess the car has 67k on it. Paint and interior are holding up really well. Must be quality materials/build that others are quick to conclude that because it is an american car, it must be subpar. Bunk. And doesn't a clean shiny car drive better!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    My car's only got ~27k, but I don't think too many people would guess it's over 3 years old! And yes, driving a clean car is definitely better. I like the long hood on the car because it lets me see the deep wet red while I drive. :D
  • Options
    tshot1tshot1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Pearl White 2001 3.5 with 19,000 miles on it . The car has every option known to man....
    My wife and I just took a trip to see our daughter and son in law, it was 1900 miles round trip. Very comfortable ride and lots of fun...when you mash the pedal you leave the world behind.
  • Options
    aurora5000aurora5000 Member Posts: 168
    I just hit 3 years too and sitting at 37K which is oil change time at 11% on oil life monitor.
    Tires still look good, slight shake on brakes.
    Wife's CTS is sure a blast and a lot faster than the Aurora (and not nearly as heavy).

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    Are you having thoughts about replacing the Aurora? I think the CTS is less than 200 lbs lighter, isn't it? I thought it was about 36xx lbs. That 3.6L seems like a nice engine, but I think I'd have to side with a V8 all else being equal (imagine the Aurora with RWD, 200 fewer pounds, and a 5-speed auto). I'm not surprised it's faster. I'd picture them being fairly similar, though, not lots faster. Have you ever lined it up against your wife? ;) Heheh, my wife's car would smoke my 'Roara too.

I have visions of CTS-V's sometimes (or maybe GTO's) but I think I want a car that's light and nimble. That's what I find myself wishing for most when driving in the Aurora. Maybe in a few years I'll check out the Z06 market or something.

Oh, and welcome to the board tshot! :)

Bob
  • Options
    Just wondering, are there any women on this board with us??

Also, are all of the Classics now over the 100,000 mile mark??
  • Options
    I'm at 89k on my 98. Mother-in-law is not on this board, and she's got about 80k on her '98...
  • Options
    My 97 is at 77,500
  • Options
    aurora5000aurora5000 Member Posts: 168
    No, I haven't given any thought about Aurora replacement. I thought the weight difference was more like 400 lbs. The CTS is quick, nimble with those Eagle rs-a tires although not my favorite. They do handle great on a 40 mph circle getting on the Interstate. I blow it out getting on the Interstate and go 5 miles then turn around and do it again, this is after the trip to the car wash using just the rinse cycle. Use Final Detail and it looks great. She just hit 3K. Factory fill is Mobil 1. I'll send you photos when I get them developed.

Steve
  • Options
    dac350dac350 Member Posts: 4
    This is weird and I am a first time Aurora owner....maybe this is suppose to happen. It's a 99 and I thought the trunk release button was fried. Of course I open up the glove box and the switch was off. Here is the problem though. I switch it to on.......and when I close the glove box the door hits the switch and moves it back to off. Even if I lightly close the glove box door it still does it. Is this normal, or is there a "fix" for it? Thanks.
  • Options
    Is there stuff in there that's hitting it? Does the door actually do it? That sounds odd, and I'm sure it was not normal. Does your door fit properly?
  • Options
    dac350dac350 Member Posts: 4
    it's the door hitting it!!
  • Options
    That's not a normal condition. Your glove box door is either misaligned or somehow otherwise messed up. Take a closer look at it. If you're at all mechanical, might not be a bad idea to remove and reinstall it - if there's a problem, chances are you'll find it when doing that.

--Robert
  • Options
    IT is possible the switch is sticking out forward more than it should? SOme of those things are push and snap in items. Sometimes from the rear; maybe this one should go back further...

• Options
    woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    Just hit 142K. Pulling strong as ever.
  • Options
    Is when you listen to the weatherman on Saturday and he says no rain until Wednesday, so you spend 2 1/2 hours washing and waxing your roara. Then you go to visit your Dad Saturday night and GUESS WHAT? It starts pouring down rain on the way home. I was PI#$ED! My wife thinks I need to go for mental evaluation and/or anger management. They just don't understand....

John
  • Options
    washes his 2 Acuras,they look immaculate -- showroom beautiful.

I get my yard mowed and don't wash my cars. IT'S GOING TO RAIN.

• Options
    Don't believe everything you see on T.V.
  • Options
    cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    I have 75K on our '97. It is really running great. (knock on wood).
  • Options
    I think the car is trying to tell me something.

The last time the odometer gave me "weird" numbers the numbers came out in the New jersey pick three lottery.
  • Options
    95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    You guys were talking about replacements a little bit ago, well, I think I found mine. This spring, probably later, Pontiac will roll out the Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3L V8, making 295 hp and 325lb ft. The V8 features "DOD" displacement on demand, which drops out four cylinders when V8 power isn't needed adding 12 percent to the fuel economy. I'm not sure if I like this. It may run smoothly when new, but how smooth will it run 7 years from now?

It also the usual suspension stuff along with, get this, Corvette cross drilled rotors and calipers!! The other cool thing is it will feature 18x8 tires in the front and 18x7 in the back. Said to help handling. Autoweek called that decision "un-GM" like and hopefully the GP GXP will pay off.
  • Options
    its still NOT AURORA!!!!!

Can U imagine what a generation 3 aROARa would have been like??????