Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently gone to a dealership expecting to find/purchase a cheap new (not used) sedan and found it to be more expensive than expected? Or did you even end up purchasing a new SUV because it ended up being a similar price to a new sedan?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, February 14 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• jonbgoodjonbgood Posts: 157
    The black trim on my factory sunroof is flaking off exposing the chromed metal underneath. The car is under warranty so I assumed it would be covered. The srvc. mgr. looked at it today and said GM wouldn't pay for it. I don't understand this. About half of the Auroras I've looked at over the last two months had this same problem. Someone here told me their dealer repainted theirs. I put a call into the 800 number listed in the warranty book in the glove box. Lady was very nice but couldn't resolve the issue without talking to a district somebody. She said she was getting conflicting information on if it was covered. Anybody else having this issue with their sunroof? Anybody get any warranty relief on this? (still love the car regardless!!)
  • mindseye97mindseye97 Posts: 25
    Musclecar97- I saw that same loose hose when I changed plugs/wires a few months back. I automatically assumed that it may be a vacuum leak after not finding any fitting for it so I put a screw in the hose. Guess I better dive into the shop manual now and make sure it's not a vent hose...
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    I got an email from Oldsmobile that they changed the specs on the 2003 Aurora because of me. I feel so validated now. If you go here you will see that the compression ratio, fuel suggestion, and the EPA fuel economy are now correct. Even though the stats were wrong for the most important sales years (2001 and 2002) of the new Aurora, I can die knowing I've helped in some small way with the preservation of the Aurora through the dispersion of accurate information. Fifty years from now when car buffs look back on the Aurora, they will know that for its last year on this world it was accompanied by a correct spec sheet.

Actually, it's funny that the Northstar/Aurora was redesigned to run on 87 octane gas, but that Olds didn't even bother to make that fact known by having the correct info on their website. media.gm.com is in fact where the media gets their specs from. Most every maker has a site specifically for the media to get info to them. So if the media.gm.com specs say it uses premium, then that's what the magazines will report.
  • javidoggjavidogg Posts: 366
    A while back I posted a note on my sunroof having problems with the black triming peeling off all around looking all nasty, look at Aurora Owners: Problems & Solutions post number 168. Then my sunroof just started acting up, not closing all the way or not venting up all the way. I took it in to the dealer and they told me they will have to replace some internal parts, also they had to replaced the whole glass wich included the "outside black trim". In a way it worked out for me I some what got a tune up on my sunroof with a new glass and trimings too. To tell you the truth when I got my car back I did not open the sunroof for like 3 days, just so it had enough time to dry out so I don't damage anything, but when I opened it again for the first time it felt like a brand spanking new sunroof that was never opened before. Hope this helps, the dealer should be able to help you out with something especially if you have the GM Warranty. Let us know how it turns out for you. Peace.
  • symi81symi81 Posts: 5
    I was wondering what all of you think Olds should do for the last Aurora's ever built - the Collector Editions next year. Personaly, I think they should go all out: Increase power to around 300 hp, tighten the handeling, offer 18 inch wheels, a 400 watt stereo, Xenon headlights, a wood wheel and shifter, silver or black exterior and a leather interior in either solid black, or a two-tone option of some sort. With the two-tone they could have black, then maybe tan piping and tan seat inserts that are preforated like the Collector Edition Intrigue's are. Suede inserts would be cool too. Anything unique that stands out!

Speaking of a black interior, why dont they offer a black interior with the current Auroras? I had to settle for that dark grey, which looks nice, but black would have been so much better.

Finally, I was wondering what the performance transmission mode was that I hear about sometimes. I have looked all over my car's interior for a button of some sort, but I cant find anything. Can anybody explain what the deal is? Thanks!
    Oldsmobile will produce an Aurora V8 Collector Edition. The last 500 vehicles that roll off the line in mid-2003 will come equipped with distinct embroidery, wheels, ornamentation, color, and badging, along with a special Collector Edition certificate for the owner.

Personally, I've never really liked wood steering wheels or shifters as they don't feel good on the hand. They look nice but I prefer the soft grippy leather that is on the wheel now. Grab the wheel on a wood-equipped STS and compare it to your Aurora's wheel. I doubt you'd want to trade. A bump in power would be nice, but I doubt it will happen... Actually, Taylor has shown that you can squeeze a fair amount more out of the car with some well-though-out mods. It looks like he'll get at least 280hp with some intake and exhaust finessing without any driveability trade-offs. I would be interested to see how the new Aurora compares to the classic in terms of tuneability. I tried the ram-air yesterday and will post some picts and the story on Acces & Mods later.

The power button was on the classic Aurora but was dropped for the new one. It was just a button that adjusted the transmissions "attitude". In the normal mode it probably shifted with similar logic to our tranny. In the performance mode, it would hold gears longer under part-throttle and downshift sooner. However, under WOT they all do the same thing. I've been very satisfied with the way the tranny shifts, and don't miss having the button. It will downshift when I want it to, and upshift when it should.

It's interesting you mentioned the interior colors. They actually pared the choices down for 2002 from 2001. You should be glad you could even get the gray. Apparently no one bought anything but the neutral. I really like the two-tone neutral interior because it highlights the wood and chrome and is a very welcoming color.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Who is Karen S and what happenned to PAT?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm right here! You may have seen KarenS in an Owners Club discussion? She's the host of the topics that are exclusive to that board.

:)

Pat
    Sedans Host
    rjs200240, thats interesting that you tell me the "power button" is not offered any more. I am sure you are right because I have no such button or option on my car. The thing that confuses me is that on the Aurora homepage they say, "The 4.0-liter also offers a choice of normal or performance transmission operating modes." Maybe they mean you can shift it yourself for a "performance mode" through the gated shifter.
    The site was probably not updated for the change when it was revamped for the 2K1 models.

Surely, you don't believe everything you see on a website!
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Posts: 111
    Nice to have you on board, Henri's right as usual, the website wasn't updated.
    That website is wrong. They had all sorts of carryover information. It's pretty annoying.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Posts: 157
    My 1 wk old (to me anyway) '99 Aurora servc. engine light came on Thursday. Took it into the shop today and the codes were going through the roof. They won't be able to diagnose it until Monday so they gave me a Delta 88 to drive until then. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.
  • javidoggjavidogg Posts: 366
    Does anyone here know if the Classic Aurora has a passenger air filter inside of the car, like in the Intrigues? If there is one where is it located at and is it easy to replace?
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Javidogg,

I don't think the Classic has an air filter for the passenger cabin (would have been nice for us allergy-prone folks, though :-)

--Robert
  • mike98cmike98c Posts: 293
    I noticed on the contemporary Cadillac board a posting talking about the standard seville (non STS) having no rear sway bar and a THICKER 3/4 inch front bar than the STS Does anyone no how this compares to the 98 and newer front bar on the Aurora?
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    look at the collector Intrigues. Not a very special edition if you ask me. Some cherry paint and 17 inch aurora wheels and some heritage badging do not a collector's edition make. They didn't even include Precision Control System.
    I heard GM was going to give the car Special 442
    badging cause the Aurora was the only car they make that could carryout the "name".
    Yeah... 4 liters (instead of 4-barrel), 4 on-the-floor, and 2 exhaust tips (not quite a dual exhaust, though)... It would certainly be better than some of the recent 442's. Wasn't there one in the mid eighties on the FWD Calais platform?

I'd really be surprised if they pulled that name up, though.

I too was a bit disappointed in the CE Intrigue. I can't believe they didn't base it on the GLS and load it up. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
  • daevendaeven Posts: 28
    Shame on me for talking about selling my 95 Aurora. It has had a mysterious leak in the AC refrigerant (i.e. mechanics can't find it). We have assumed it was the condensor. This morning when I started the car, there was a horrendous grinding in the area of the serpentine belt. Funny thing is that it went away after about one minute. So, can I assume it was a contaminant in the bearings of some accessory, and that it cleaned itself out? Come on, help me out here. :-)

Since the AC has been leaking, I would hope it is just the compressor. Too bad the leak hasn't been visible, which means that it is probably not JUST the compressor.

I guess the lesson is that 200K miles is good enough for any air conditioner.
    Have they tried that A/C dye? It's some dye you put into the A/C system and then you look for the dye to find the leak. It seems like if it is leaking somewhere it would have to leave some trace of it... That's pretty strange.

As for the noise, you might try looking under the hood to make sure everything is ok.
  • daevendaeven Posts: 28
    Yes, A/C dye has been used in it each year. No dye was ever spotted leaking out. I heard back from the mechanic. The compressor is definately shot. I've got a line on a used/rebuilt compressor for $200. I'll go with that.

The mechanic said I should replace the receiver/dryer and orifice tube at the same time since they can get contaminated with bits of the compressor.

These new parts plus the compressor installation will set me back an additional $538. I probably still have leaks in the condenser behind the dash.
  • oldsman2oldsman2 Posts: 14
    I just replaced my compressor and orphus tube this weekend, and the entire project ended up being a disaster! I was able to get a rebiult compresor for $170, and the orphus tube was $9 from the dealer. As for the receiver/drier, this car does not have one! It does have an accumulater, though, which serves a similar function. In conclusion, my A/C now works perfect, but the check engine light is one and the car is running like crap! I suspect that I accidentally broke a wire to a sensor during this major repair.
  • ygo2workygo2work Posts: 5
    I have a 99 Aurora with the standard CD/Cassette/AM/FM set up. Has anyone tried an add-on satellite (XM or Sirius) radio and antenna? I may be taking some long trips and I'd like to get uninterrupted radio. The radio in there won't even receive any AM stations in many locations, and maybe only one or two FM stations. It's apparently not a very strong tuner in there.
    Louis
  • Here's a joke I found off the GM formus by Cruzship, I thought it was good and true.

"For all of us who feel only the deepest affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives:

At a recent computer exposition (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If General Motors had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Mr. Gates' comments, GM issued a press release stating: "If General Motors had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice aday.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason, you would simply accept this

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun,was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive --but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warninglight.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

pretty good huh?

800wattAURORA
    that GM/Microsoft thing is pretty damn funny, mainly cause its true.

Concerning the C.E. Olds', I agree they are pretty lame considering they are the last of a legendary, 100+ year-old brand. They definetly should have made them more special than they are. Furthermore, the Aurora should be the last Olds ever produced, not the Alero. Think of how sweet it would have been if the last ever Oldsmobile was a souped-up Aurora with like 350 horsepower and every luxury feature available in the GM parts bin.

...Oh wait, nevermind, we wouldnt wanna put any extra money or resources into a stupid collectors edition car, especialy if its only the last car for America's oldest car brand.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    Too bad that when they make corrections, they don't bother to read over the whole page. The spec for F/R weight is 67%/27% (only adds up to 90%), I wouldn't mind is my car was 380 lbs lighter, and the engine only takes 5.5 qts of oil (so why do I always put in 8?). I pointed out to Olds that the picture of the V8 that was on their site for most of 2001 was an older engine (plug wires visible, the current motor has no plug wires). I am a spec nut (mostly, I just like to know whats real).

After looking at the sales figures for Oldsmobile this year (through May), I am suprised that GM is even going to finish the 2003 model year at all. Sales were down last year, and this year is running at about half of last years pace. I bought the last 2 new Oldsmobiles (2002 Aurora 4.0 & 2002 Silhouette Premiere AWD) to be sold within 50 miles of home, so even though I would love to have one of the last off the line, I will wait for them to show up used.

Re: the 442, Those of you with 17" wheels, pull off one of the center caps and look at the mold number. Yep, mold # 442. Somebody at Olds design has a sense nostalga afterall.

Oldsmobile 1896-2003, the only car sold in America in the 19th, 20th, AND 21st centuries.
    I'll be danged. I never noticed that weight distribution thing. I did notice the oil capacity but figured it was for the 3.5 liter. I guess since there isn't a 3.5 anymore they should change it. I'll have to look for the 442 thing.

Yes, I don't see the point in "winding down" Oldsmobile. Once you decide to kill it, the sales are obviously going to suffer. I'm not sure what the point of dragging it out is. I mean, I don't want to see Olds go but that isn't going to change. So at least let it go with some dignity. Magazines won't even include them in comparos anymore since they are getting the axe. I imagine the Alero will probably still sell pretty well next year, though, since it is so much more attractive than the Grand Am.
  • matrixfrogmatrixfrog Posts: 181
    I bought 4 Yokohama AVS Intermediate tires from Discount Tire. I paid $312 for everything and now im just waiting for them to come in. Discount Tire will match any competors prices so I used tirerack.com and they matched them at $56 a piece. I think he said they normally sell them for $87 a piece. They're ZR rated. I let everyone know how I like them when I get them on.

I painted my brake calipers gold today with some high temp paint. I like it and really goes well with the gold package. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Posts: 573
    musclecar97:

The part is an "evaporative emissions canister purge vacuum switch."