Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Me too, b4z... I have a Navy Blue Impala and I'd bet it'd look great.... why don't you go ahead and get it done and post pics so I can see... ; )
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I'll give you a dollar if you go first. LOL.

But seriously, I wonder if I could get some primer and navy blue plastikote and do it myself?

Don't know if those spray bombs will provide an even coat. You think I would need to clear coat it also?
  • Options
    Some people say to sand it down first, but on the pictures posted they weren't sanded first. Yes, you'll definately need a clear coat so they'll look the same as the rest of the car. If you're experienced with painting I'm sure you could do it yourself.... I don't know how though, and I wouldn't be comfortable doing it. Let us know what you decide..
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    I just got my 2000 LS back after 7 weeks. I forgot how much I liked the car. I drove a 2002 Camry in the interim.... Not bad, but not my impala. I was broad sided, and what I find funny is that the insurance company paid $7100 to repair it (no the airbags didn't go off), and I will be lucky to get $7500 in trade.

I agree that the value of a 2002-2003 impala is was down from 2000-2001. I too am looking at a Mazda6 (have you test drove one John?) It apears to be a great bang for the buck, and has things the impala ls should. Duel exhaust, 5 speed. Gm can't take away features AND raise the cost of the car and expect to get ahead. You know that if they are giving $3000 back, they added it in somwhere else.

Oh yeah, I have 90k in my impala, I think only one other on this forum is higher...
  • Options
    You know the dual exhaust is fake right? Just making sure.... you know it doesn't do anything?
  • Options
    I was expecting a bunch of comments on the painted mouldings.

Where is everybody?
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    This is the info that will be in the 2004's including the SS. All GM products can be accessed also

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2004&- amp;butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=3&vehicleID=325&amp- ;type=0
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    02lssport - would you send me an email please? pat@edmunds.com

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hmmm.. wonder what this means: 2004: Charcoal bodyside moldings are no longer available on Impala LS.

??
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It means for 2004 for SS and LS models, the moldings will be body color.
  • Options
    Awwwww... I'm gonna have to look into that...
  • Options
    colie74colie74 Member Posts: 42
    Hey Mark!! Thanks for thinking of me!! Well got back from vacation. Actually leaving for the airport on day one it had rained over night. Yup you guessed it, my trunk was wet and I am sure the spare tire area was flooded. It was on an elevated driveway and was wet on right side near tailight. No driving in it this time. Then I decided to check the tired compartment on our return 5 days later. It was still wet in there! So last Friday it went in for one last repair attempt. All they did was remove and readjust the tailight. Didn't even bother to just order new rubber seals around it or anything. They either don't take the time to figure it out, or just can't seem to find any defect, so why bother replacing something that doesn't look bad. And they didn't bother with the attempt on the water intrustion in the spare tire area. So all my info was faxed to the LL attorney this week and is on his desk. He should be calling me shorty. I don't have to pay any upfront fees nor do I have to pay if I loose. So we'll see what he says in a day or so.

I am really hoping this pans out.

Anyway, that's where I am at right now. Wow lots of reading up to do since I have been gone!! But happened across your post and wanted to give you all an update.

Haven't bothered with the coolant leak yet. No new coolant on the ground in a while. So I'll wait, but not to late :)!

My husband loves the way the cars handles though. We rented a Lincoln Towncar (brand new) on our trip and he even stated that the impala handles much better. He says the lincholn was sooo wishy washy and he couldn't see how someone would be able to keep it under control during a sudden swerve.

It also rained on our trip to the airport and we didn't realize we needed tires as bad as we did (doesn't rain much in So. Cal). Well heading to the freeway, we notice the traction control keeps coming on and catching the tires because they are loosing traction. Very hairy ordeal, but we made it. Who would have thought stock tires don't last much past 20K. So thank goodness for the traction control.

Oh BTW, I have that metalic regal blue that is lighter than the navy. It's also metalic. I LOVE that color!! Don't diss my blue car man!!!! It also has the grey intereior. You know, when I bought the car, the only interiors the dealer had in leather where the grey and that funky orangy weird red color!! It was ugly!! I like the grey. The tan is nice too. But you know, they don't make that blue anymore after 2000, so it's neat to have one of the only in town!!! Otherwise, I hated all the other colors, I don't like flat paint and the red, blue and black were flat and everyone had silver.

Anyway, back to catching up!

Nicole
  • Options
    How many dealers have you been to? If only one, take it to another dealer and tell them to fix it. You might have a bad dealer.
  • Options
    I haven't taken it to another dealer bc I am just doing what needs to be done to push it through lemon law. I could care less about getting it fixed if I am able to get rid of it. I have been inconvenienced enough and haven't taken the time to seek out another dealer to help me. At this point it doesn't matter, it's gone after warrenty. I have had all kinds of things go wrong with it that it is just a sour note in my mind. Don't plan on keeping it, so just playing the 4 attempts game to push it through the lemom law. The coolant leak is next. To much hassle and it's been in the shop so much "during" warrenty, what am I in for "after" warrenty?

Besides, to get on the comparision bandwagon, it's a 2000 and chinsy. Even the black on the radio buttons are already wearing off! I have had a power window button short out on me and the radio sucks. I paid good money for it back then and compaired to what I can get these days for a bit more money or the same price range, it's worth it for me to cut my losses and start over. Take the Nissan Altima for example. So many new features like all the airbags, heated seats, traction control, EBS system now out (if I gave the right acronym LOL) and other safety features. I think the sun roof on the Imp (which I didn't even have) is cheap and only pops up. The leather is chinsy and the dash is like someone said, rubbermade. Plain and boring. The interior needs WAAAAY improvements made and the PRICE! OMG, what is up with jacking up the price over the years? Every time I go in the shop for repair I browse the lot, 26K and up for an impala with not many more features than I have...maybe the sunroof and onstar. The radio I am sure bites still. Nissan has the bose, 6 disk changer. I have one disk and no tape deck. As drivinisfun has stated, I too have outgrown the car. I am ready for more performance and a sporty look and drive. I know the impala has the sports tuned suspension I believe, it handles great, but I am ready for what the latest and greates in 2003 has to offer.

Some points I want to add to the discussion are this. Back in 2000 when I was looking for a large sedan, there truly was nothing on the market except the camary and the accord in the same price range. I wanted something different, everyone has an accord. Plus the Imp had a huge back seat and trunck, which I love. But there was nothing competing with it. That is why it did so well, not bc of a great car. Ford has nothing in sedans except the taurus and I wouldn't drive a buick (grandpa cars). So that takes care of the american cars. The Cateria was a cheap high end car that looked the part. So it was an easy decision. The Maxima was out of my reach for a loaded version. None of the imports had anything appealing then either. Can't even remember.

Well if you compare today, although I haven't looked at the new Imp (2004), they all look the same and seem to have the same features as the older ones. The 2003 (which my dealer has a whole whopping 2 on the lot, makes me wonder right there), looks exactly the same in the interior and I am sure the engine is the same. So why is the price now 26K? And ya, I was offered a whopping 7K as a trade in within the last month. What is that about?

I think drivinisfun made some GREAT points. He only used the mini (his experiences having both) as a comparision, some of you kept it going, so it isn't really he that needs to drop it if you all don't want to debate that issue. I happen to agree with ALOT he has said. It is sooo true that GM makes boring, outdated, grandpa sytled cars. Have you looked at the Nissan Altima lately? Puts my car to shame as far as looks and performance, I can gurantee that. And what is up with front wheel drive? I am not an expert by no means, but my husband drives a camaro ss and knows what it means to be a performance vehicle. The impala, in his opinion, should be rear wheel drive. It's safer and handles better. I agree. Have they changed that with the 04? Even his SS is crappy looking inside. The interior is terrible for what we paid for it. And the stereo and speakers are shameful...the horrible base coming out of those monsoon stereo is pathetic!!! Not even a cd player in it, only a tape player on his 2001 ss. He basically bought an engine!! LOL.

So anyway, back at post 11588 (drivinisfun) totally summed it up for me. Ya, I have seen many guys really upgrading the cars with the dual exhaust and all the body kits available for the imp, they look great. Really neat car. Of course you'll get looks even from the younger set, the homies will always respect it, it's an impala. Still the inside needs work. GM needs work, the cavalier is/was a death trap, worst safety rating and it's still on the market I believe. The malibu looks the same inside as the imp, but smaller. My sister's dodge stratus looks much nicer inside than mine.

So anyways, that is my 2 cents. I really did love the car, but ya know, times move quickly and there are sooo many new upgraded cars out there with MUCH more safety features (I'll have to list the Altimas, it has the same features as the G35) and the performance is more sports tunned. Where as my Imp is a great family car. So it's all about what you are looking for. It rides well, never uncomfortable on long trips, lots of room, good steering and road handling. But some things are less than desireable. I prefer a really nice stereo system and nicer leather interior, not leather seating surfaces. I have no other features but the dual AC and ONE power seat, oh and the side airbag on the driver's side. So you know, times change quickly and new features, standard equipment and safety equipment come out almost on a yearly basis. I don't think GM is keeping up. But I am sure the 04 will be nice, but I am in the market today and I can get more features in an Altima for 26K than the Imp at 26K. Anyone care to compair features and equipment for the same money? I will be happy to pull the two?

Wow, I wrote a novel here, but I just wanted to throw in my ok 4cents now. I agree with drivinisfun.

Also, some of you don't know how to debate. Not challeging you, but really, stick to the facts and no need to bash each other.

Back later with my LL update!!!

Nicole
  • Options
    The sunroof goes up and slides back...
    As for the Altima, don't get your hopes up.. it's common knowledge that the Altima has a very cheap interior that is not good quality. And only the top Altima will beat it performance wise. Having said that... the Impala could use a freshening... New cars are coming out soon.. new Grand Prix, G6 concept = 2005 Grand Am... RWD Impala, Monte soon...
  • Options
    Altima has a huge backseat, but the doors sound like oil cans when you close them.

Another choice for colie would have been the Olds Intrigue. What an engine! And what problems! Luckily, i was able to turn mine in but could never get the dealer to fix it.

I am currently looking at the Chevy Avalanche without the hideous body hardware.

20K+ tax write off is the reason, and only 7K nore than I paid for the Impala.
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I wouldn't pay 26K for an Imp or an Altima, either, but the fact is you can buy a new LS for less than $18K with GM earnings, rebates, etc, and what compares with it for the price?
  • Options
    jbk5jbk5 Member Posts: 26
    pluto5: "what compares with it for the price?"

THANK YOU! That's exactly why there are so many Impalas on the road.

BTW, that doesn't mean it's a bad car. It just means it's a very smart buy, as long as you don't plan on trading it in in a few years(big mistake).
  • Options
    02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    "you can buy a new LS for less than $18K"

I wouldn't go that far. You could do a Malibu LS for that price but no way an Impala LS. I thought I got a good deal - Impala LS with all options and the "sport appearance" package for $25K. The Altima/Maxima are nice cars but they don't blow the GM line away as some people think.

The Impala has its cons but it also still has many pros over other cars. No car is perfect in the sub $30,000 price range. Accord - Butt ugly. Mazda6 / Altima - boy racer"ish". Taurus / Crown Vic - slow, boring, poor handling. Camry - Looks like a fat Corola that ate too much.

As far as the Impala's looks go the only thing that I don't like are the body moldings. The inside doesn't bother me that much with the "sport" package carbon fiber dash insert. Looks pretty cool actually. The steering wheel kinda suxs. Ah like I said they all have pros and cons.
  • Options
    Actually, MSRP is less than $25K and GM earnings can be as high as $3500, plus rebates, yada yada so it's not hard to get under $18K. Now they're giving $450 for the kid's college thru Upromise but I didn't count that! No comparison with the bu IMO.
  • Options
    You can only get that high a GM card rebate on the OLD GM card. New ones have the allowance capped. Very few old cards are still out there. And to get to that $3500 takes seven years of charging with the old GM card, unless you had a gold card that you paid a fee for.

Chintzy? Won't last? No need to buy an Impala if you trade frequently?

Silly me. 2000 with 116,000 miles. And, by the way, MY first tires lasted 55,000 miles. That's odd that the others were shot at 20k. Must be differences in either roads, driving styles or both.
  • Options
    drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    The Impala's best asset in its favor is value, but having said that, getting a new LS for under $18K is nothing sort of a fairy tale. A more realistic figure is on or around $20K, not including taxes.

GM has or had a good thing going with the Impala and they need to realize that the car is in need of some critical updates to keep it competitive in this very fierce sedan market segment.

I really like my car and after 20,200 miles it is still solid and tight as a drum, not a single rattle or squeak anywhere so at least GM seems to have gotten the quality equation figured out from the get go.

I know that GM frequents these boards and that they need to pay very close attaention to what us current owners of the vehicle have to say. Please update the car and lower the absurd MSRP pricing on the new ones.
  • Options
    While I am not totally crazy about the new Accord, Altima or even the Mazda 6, I still can see why these cars seem to be so appealing, specially to current Impala owners.....they all pick up where the Impala left off.

Long term irritants such as the prone to warping upper manifold intake and the ISS need to be addressed and fixed ASAP. Otherwise I think that if you take good care of the car it will last you a very long time.

Collie: My stereo actually has excellent sound quality due to the new and improved amplifier introduced in mid production 2001 model year Impalas. The amplifier in the 2000 model year Impalas such as yours is completely useless, hence the tin can sound characteristics of your car radio. Actually the poor sound quality is not the radio head unit's fault...it is the dismal sounding trunk amplifier. If you are still under warranty, you could press your dealer to replace the original amplifier with the new revised version...the difference in sound quality is like heaven and earth.
  • Options
    The excessive wave of rebates and incentives available in new Impalas are completely killing the resale value of old ones. Prospective used Impala buyers are refusing flat out to even closely pay what these cars are actually worth.

GM has a very bad problem with the resale value of its vehicles and, sometimes, it is not the vehicle itself but the never ending rebates on new ones that are completely eroding residual values. I don't think GM cares much about this perception as it already has become the "DEAL" driven car company or the "Walmart" of the automotive industry. Most buyers would not look or even consider a new GM product unless GM is willing to heavely discount it up front. What a predicament they have put themselves into!

GM needs to start producing the long promised "Gotta have products" and promote these in base of their virtues and not the rebate, 0% financing or loyalty bonus...this damages their perception in the short run.
  • Options
    And....the used car buyer who would normally pay 13-18k for a used Impala is absent from the market, having paid a bit more and gotten a much less risky NEW car, be it a Cavalier, Impala or a competitive product with the incentives available in the new car market. And many of the new cars replaced relatively new used cars. Whether the owner traded in or sold outright, the result is an increased supply of relatively new used cars. Due to the relative glut, there is not the demand there would have been for the used cars, so price drops.

Meanwhile, even more of what would have been the would-be buyers also buy new instead of used and then may trade in or sell THEIR old car. So the price on used cars drops even more.

Big incentives on new cars inevitably results in lower used car prices drop, both wholesale and retail.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    02lssport, I still need for you to email me: pat@edmunds.com
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    John go to Ebay.....check ebay #2408843039........2001 Impala for sale 132,000 miles....I thought you were king of the high mileage cars!! and this is a year newer then yours!! go figure!!
  • Options
    drivinisfun, you are totally right about the oler imp being worthless now bc of all the rebates. My imp was given an offer of 7K trade in. Less than what I owe. Hardly any miles on it at all.

And to think you can get a loaded imp for 18K really pisses me off. So back in the day when they first came out, I get 1K off sticker and no rebates or 0% financing. So Chevy ripped me off now. Every time we hear of a dealer advertising saying right now, 7K off MSRP, my husband says, "Oh so the people that bought the same car 6 months ago and paid full price or a bit less but no where near all the rebates off, got ripped off." If that is what Chevy is doing, I'll never do business with them again. It's like making us pay for the car when it first comes out, and now they are giving them away. What does that say right there?

I personally think the interior of the Altima is waaay nicer, but no, the quality may or may not be there. Who knows. If you recently owned a brand new 2003 3.5 and can say the interior is falling apart, than ya, you are valid with your point. But what proof do you have that the Altima's interior doesn't hold up to Imp? And of course I would be compairing the 3.5 245 HP with the Imp V6, 200 HP. I would also be considering the 5 speed manual in the Altima.

I don't think the Imp held it's resale value at all, that is waaay disappointing. I got that amount they offered me with the Imp trading in an 11 year old truck. I bet you everyone knows about all the problems the earlier Imp had and now it is haunting me trying to get rid of it. They won't even just take it off my hands without me having to pay them!! LOL. Now that's bad.

Take care
    Nicole
  • Options
    Even if you have the new GM card, if you take Edmunds TMV and subtract the rebate and card earnings you get 18K. Those with old GM cards can save more. You will probably have to do a factory order but then you can delete the silly looking spoiler and opt for the side airbag!!
  • Options
    You can't buy a loaded LS for 18K. The best you can probably do is around 21-22K for a 26-27K car.

Don't feel it is fair to include GM card incentives because the average buyer can't get those.
  • Options
    bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    Nicole, I speak with experience here, I had a 2002 Nissan Altima that I traded for the Impala and I feel the Impala is the better value. I'm sorry you've had trouble with your car and I understand some of your problems are first year specific and others are just unfortunate, sounds like you just got a bad car. This doesn't mean all of them are the same way. If you think the Impala interior is cheap looking, wait until you've seen the Altima's. I didn't notice the cost cutting and cheap materials on the initial test drive. It was only after I had the car and spent hours at the time on the road in it that I started scrutinizing the really horrible interior and all of them are that way. Not to mention, it has very poor sound insulation (meaning almost none) under ill fitting carpet. The fuel door release lever just pokes up through a hole that is crudely cut into the carpet, sunroofs are noisy, and again, they are all this way. At a stop while in gear, the 4 cylinder automatic models (and I've driven 3 different ones) have a vibration that resonates throughout the dashboard, steering column, brake pedal, floor pan. This vibration is worse than most "modern" 4 cylinders and that should not be in as you put it, the "best" that 2002 (and 2003) have to offer. 6 cylinder models are smooth in operation and accelerate like a little Lear jet, but price wise, I think a new Maxima is a better value and a much nicer car. 6 cylinder models also ride hard, as my back was hurting by the time I was through with my 1/2 day test drive.Check the Edmunds board for the new Nissan Altima, you will find a lot of praise for these cars as well as a lot of people with the same recurring problems. Never have I been so disappointed in a new car like I was with this one, although I was smitten with its style. I would definitely think before buying a new Altima.
  • Options
    Anyone who can qualify for a credit card can get a GM card and get free earnings. If you buy a "loaded" car you are setting yourself up for a big hit in resale value in the early years. Anyway, the LS is well equipped without options so there's no need to pay a lot.
  • Options
    02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    Wow you traded a 2002 Altima for the Impala. Do you mind telling us what you paid for the Altima vs the Impala?
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    you may be the only person on the planet to trade-in a 2002 altima for an impala.
  • Options
    It is NOT just the Impala that costs less than it did three years ago. (Yes, I know that sticker prices have gone up, but average transaction costs have actually declined).

GM took the initiative to keep America rolling after September 11, 2001. GM took the lead with 0% financing, and largely gave the economy the spark it needed to keep going. Other companies matched their prices in one way or another.

The entire economy took a drastic hit that day. A hit we have yet to totally recover from. This is far from a political post, but you need to realise that it doesn't matter what car you bought at the time you bought that Impala or any other car before September 11, 2001, chances are good you can buy a comparable new car now for less than that car would have cost before that tragic day.

From Cadillac to Lincoln to Toyota to Jaguar, average transaction costs are lower. Trade in values are lower.

It is NOT just an Impala thing or even just a GM thing. And to think that it is is either misguided or very unfair.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Hey, who says you can't buy an Impala LS for less than $18k? I bought my brand new 2000 Impala LS with sticker price of $24.5K for ONLY $15,400 out the door (including tax and license).

MSRP....$24.5K (leather, but no sunroof and spoiler)
    Dealer Markdown...$5,500
    GM Auto Show Rebate...$2000
    My original GM card rebate...$3,700

After owning my IMpala for almost 25 months, I"m still loving my Impala! I think my Impala LS is now worth about $12K.

The recent GM promotion on SAAB 9-3 for only $299 a month caught my attention. Throw in GM Loyalty rebate, I put NOTHING DOWN! Hmm. Tempting.
  • Options
    " If that is what Chevy is doing, I'll never do business with them again. It's like making us pay for the car when it first comes out, and now they are giving them away. What does that say right there? "

You bought a brand new car and you paid a premium for it. That's how it goes with every car. It was your choice you didn't have to buy it then. As cars get older, they get cheaper. That's how it works...

And, no I don't think you can get a fully loaded LS for under 18K, that's rediculous. No counting GM cards.. only rebates and dealer markdowns.

Your Sept. 11 point was right on the mark, johnclineii... very good.
  • Options
    I am talking about what the average Joe off the steet gets in discounts. I chose not to have a GM card because I currently have a 4.25% card tied to the prime. I save far more in interest than I would on my next GM purchase.

My 2001 Impala deal was: 25.5K MSRP. Dealer cashback and rebates, Olds Loyalty bonus and early termination cash back brought my deal to $21,037. With $300 SC sales tax I got the car for
    $21,387.
    My dealer does everything for $98 over invoice.

A 2003 with identical options to mine is $27.6K.

You simply can not walk off the street and get a loaded Impala LS for 18K.
  • Options
    rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    "Dealer Markdown...$5,500"

Sorry, I don't believe you. That's 22.4% off MSRP. Why would the dealer be so kind as to take off $5,500 on a new vehicle? Even if you got the GM discount you still would only have gotten at most 12% off the vehicle. Sorry, I just don't see it.
  • Options
    chevybluechevyblue Member Posts: 7
    I know, dumb question but I'm planning changing the oil tis weekend, so how many liters goes into the 3.8 ?
    Thanks guys
  • Options
    <<Sorry, I don't believe you. That's 22.4% off MSRP. Why would the dealer be so kind as to take off $5,500 on a new vehicle? Even if you got the GM discount you still would only have gotten at most 12% off the vehicle. Sorry, I just don't see it.>>

I'm telling you the truth. I bought my 2000 Impala LS on 2/01. My car build date was May 2000. The car has been sitting on the dealer lot for at least 7-8 months!! Obviously, he was desperate to move it out his lot. It's not unheard of that dealers mark off $5K of MSRP. It's been down numerous times with GM, year over year. It's call cleaning out your inventory.

When I shop for a brand new car, I NEVER walk into the dealer showroom blindly without looking in the weekends new car classified ads. Most of the cars that are advertised in the paper are mostly "loss leaders". Even as of today, I see Impala LS on sale for under $20K (with rebate and loyalty discount).
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    2000 LS, 43K miles - ISS lubed once, at about 25K miles. I went to the dealer on Tuesday, and tried desperatly to get them to fix it again, but to no avail. They said "Chevy considers it a "Maintenance Item", and will lube it only under warranty, and only once". Since I was out of warranty, it would be $20 for the kit, and 1 hour labor, $100 total. I then spent about 45 minutes on the phone (20 to 25 minutes of total wait time) with Chevy Customer Service to express my dissatisfaction with the "Maintenance Item" CRAP. I told her all I wanted was it lubed again. Again, to no avail. She repeated the "Maintenance Item" crap. I told her I have owned 13 other cars, and not 1 ever needed ISS "Maintenance". I told her "I'll be sure to come running back to Chevy when I buy my next car"!! My brother in law works for a Chevy dealer. Just returned from having one of his "Buddy's" at the shop apply the lube kit... $40 total... I still LOVE this car, but wish Chevy would "Take Care" of this ISS issue...
  • Options
    <<Sorry, I don't believe you. That's 22.4% off MSRP. Why would the dealer be so kind as to take off $5,500 on a new vehicle? Even if you got the GM discount you still would only have gotten at most 12% off the vehicle. Sorry, I just don't see it.>>

I'm telling you the truth. I bought my 2000 Impala LS on 2/01. My car build date was May 2000. The car has been sitting on the dealer lot for at least 7-8 months!! Obviously, he was desperate to move it out his lot. It's not unheard of that dealers mark off $5K of MSRP. It's been down numerous times with GM, year over year. It's call cleaning out your inventory.

When I shop for a brand new car, I NEVER walk into the dealer showroom blindly without looking in the weekends new car classified ads. Most of the cars that are advertised in the paper are mostly "loss leaders". Even as of today, I see Impala LS on sale for under $20K (with rebate and loyalty discount).
  • Options
    ""I'm telling you the truth. I bought my 2000 Impala LS on 2/01. My car build date was May 2000. The car has been sitting on the dealer lot for at least 7-8 months!! Obviously, he was desperate to move it out his lot. It's not unheard of that dealers mark off $5K of MSRP. It's been down numerous times with GM, year over year. It's call cleaning out your inventory.

When I shop for a brand new car, I NEVER walk into the dealer showroom blindly without looking in the weekends new car classified ads. Most of the cars that are advertised in the paper are mostly "loss leaders". Even as of today, I see Impala LS on sale for under $20K (with rebate and loyalty discount).""

Yeah, but we're talking LOADED Impala LSs.. does yours have every option?

And also, the 3.8L take 4.5 quarts of oil.
  • Options
    Yeah, but how many litres(sp) is that? LOL.
  • Options
    The manual does say 4.5 qts with filter but I changed mine this week and mine took nearly the entire 5 qt. jug. Best to check the dipstick.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I had the ISS lube kit applied my '01 LS at about 20,000km. Last trip in to the dealer (at about 67,000km) I complained about the feeling being back in the steering again. The service advisor took it for a quick spin and confirmed I needed another ISS lube kit. I asked if it would be taken care of under my extended warranty. He said "don't worry, we've done this once before so this one will be on us".

When I picked up my car I had to sign a "Goodwill" form - basically something designed to let them track that they did something "extra" for me for free, and to make sure that I realized that they went the extra bit for me. The steeriong is back to being nice and smooth, and I'm happy.

I really love my Impala - and my dealer!
  • Options
    This is so insane! Since when the ISS is a "regular maintenance item"???? C'mmom GM, get your act together and fix the part instead of making your unsuspect customers pay for your mistakes!!!.

Same goes for the cheapo plastic manifolds!!!
  • Options
    spark1espark1e Member Posts: 18
    On one hand you said you are disappointed that a new Imp is $26K, then later you said a "loaded Imp for $18K really pisses me off". The way I see it, the current price of a new car has nothing to do with whether you paid too much for your car 2 years ago. That was then, this is now.
  • Options
    Here is a picture of a 3800 Series III engine: http://www.wicgp.com/mwatkins/L26plenum.jpg

Note the ALUMINUM upper intake manifold. Well, how about we ALL email GM about making an aluminum upper intake manifold replacement for OUR cars. And the give it free with a recall. If we all email them, then they might listen. Are y'all with me? If so, lets all post the proper email addresses we should use.