Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• lrcobralrcobra Posts: 82
    I had the rear wheel liners installed a couple weeks ago and the mech got my flaps back on without cutting them at all. He had a hell of a time doing it but they went on. Of course he had it on the rack with the wheels off so that made it easier. They still do the same job they did before and still look the same.
    LRCobra
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    On Saturday a drove a new 2001 Buick Regal GS (Supercharged). It was a heck of a ride!. Really smooth car and better handling of what I had originally anticipated. The car is very nice inside and out but some styling clues still spell 'AARP', but nothing overwhelmingly negative about it. It had the Moonsoon stereo that blows anything that the Impala has for radio away. Clear crisp sound, strong deep bass, crystal clear tones.

I did notice some bothersome windshield reflections, however. You should be a happy camper with this vehicle.

Does the 2001 California Regal has the Supercharged 3800 V6?

Among all GM cars that I had the opportunity to drive in the test track, the worst radio performance was the black 2001 Impala LS. The same crappy amplifier. Even the Buick Century had a Kick *ss radio. Really GM cheated Impala owners big time with the radios. Even the Olds Alero had an awesome sound system which seems to be a more updated version of the Impala RDS head unit radio.

The 2001 Chevy Malibu has the same exact radio as the Impala RDS system. However, the Malibu unit doesn't have the useless trunk mounted amplifier, therefore the sound quality is very good (Same quality as the amp bypass)but still not quite as good as the radios I sampled on the Century, Alero and Regal siblings.

I drove so many cars and trucks I can't even remember! I drove a 2001 Corvette Convertible and that was quite a drive...that car is a beast but handles like a champ! The Camaro Z28 is pure brute force. The Camaro lacks road manners, fishtails easily, handling is OK, but overall the Camaro is a very raw compromise when compared to the Mustang GT that I drove and I much prefered (I still, however, dislike Fords).

The Buick Park Avenue drives and handles like a dream. Loved that car! The Cadillac STS handled better than the BMW 525 I drove earlier in the day.

The Lexus IS300 was sweet! But I am sure any 3800 V6 equipped car can easily take on it from standstill. The IS300 is small, expensive and needs more power (Only 215HP @ $32K MSRP)but the car really has a charm to it, the stereo and controls are fantastic and the handling is almost BMW. RWD and nearly perfect weight distributions really helps this little sedan take the twistes with confidence.

Ken: I drove a Boneville SSEi and what a ride! smooth, smooth but the only problem I noticed with the Bonne is that it doesn't handle as crisp compared to the Regal GS as I suspect the extra weight of the Bonneville works against it...still very nice and powerful car.

As far as trucks, I drove the Minivan SUV crossover, the Buick Rendezvous (Very beautifully styled interior and instruments) but my favorites in the SUV arena were the 2002 Chevy Trailblazer and the GMC Envoy...that I-6 engine is so smooth and powerful you have to drive it to believe it. The handling is superb for a SUV and a pushed it around the 'Cones' and corners and the thing really took on those corners like any sedan.

The worst handler in my opinion was the Jeep Grand Cherokee...pure hype. That truck really handles poorly. All GM trucks outhandled the Dodge/Ford siblings in my opinion.

Also drove the 2002 Chevy Avalanche pick up with the 6.6L V8 engine...that truck is awesome!.

The Impala LS generated much interested and the lines to test driving it were longer compared to other GM sedans (Which the even accomodators had to beg for people to drive). I took one of my Impala pins and people on the line asked me questions about it. I believe I must have sold 2 or 3 Impalas to potential buyers that day :-)

It was a fun experience and I hope GM does the Auto Show in Motion sometime in the near future again!

Matt: Welcome back and glad you had an enjoyable trip aboard your Impala.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Teo - How do you get to these events? I bet most of us here would go to great lengths or distance to participate in one of those comparison events.

That Envoy sounds very interesting - perhaps a replacement for our Suburban eventually? hmmm.

That SSEi is something I've got to drive to - now that I feel at home in my SE model I'd sure like to see what the extra payment dollars buy in a Bonneville. I've seen some 2000's on E-Bay in the mid $20K range.

Ken
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I looked up the top 10 comparisons on Edmund's. Thanks for telling me where it was and for additional places to look up reviews. I'm getting ready to look up these other reviews you mentioned right now.
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    Thanks for the info I may take off the flaps before I take it in for the Liners, that way I can put the flaps back on. Don
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Posts: 91
    #2359 of 2366 davidt8....etc.. by 00impala Apr 02, 2001 (09:09 pm) Glad to hear you like your Impala! I like mine too, Built 11/00 and 15,600 miles none...

I am confused - I have noticed before that you say your 2000 Impala was built in 11/00 - do you mean 11/99. I have a 2001 and it was built 09/00. OR do you have a 2001. Thanks
    The best Value of all is the Impala. The 3.8 engine is better because it's fuel economy is almost as good as the 3.4 because of the weight of the car. The Impala is built tough - it has high rankings for frontal and side collisions. There is more interior room in this car than the Taurus or the Intrepid and that includes the trunk. The LS fully loaded is everything you would want - it's like a luxury car without the huge payments. NOW there have been some issues with the 2000 Impalas and perhaps the 2001's with the engine cradle but there is a fix and there has been some problems with an intermediate steering shaft - but that too is fixable IF you have any problems. There are no problems whatsoever with the 3.8L engine. Looking at some of the other sites you will notice more serious problems with other makes and models. Why else would American and Canadian police forces choose to buy IMPALAS - they certainly don't want to buy a Taurus. Get the Impala LS - on the highway it certainly is the most noticeable new car.
    ENJOY!
    Yes sir! Noticed the buzz the other day on my 2001 LS. It seems to come from the pillar next to the driver. Also, I have a clanging noise from the rear fender on the driver's side. It could be the same problem as yours - WHEN WAS YOURS BUILT? Mine was 09/00.
    I had the same Buzz but on the B-pillar on the driver's side. If you look closely, the plastic trim headliner 'joints' are not fully glued at the factory or the glue starts to give up with time. What causes the Buzz sound is the vibration of the loose plastic trim piece that is supossed to get joint with the next one at it is loose. The only way I remedied this annoyance was to buy some 3M glue for interior plastic trim. I rejoined the two trim pieces (Right above the door's opening) with the glue and presto.

These are some of the little details that really hurt GM's build quality reputation in the market place.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    You've made the case eloquently and persuasively - too bad some of the die hard (and flame mouthed) import guys won't listen to this kind of logic. I recently made the mistake of mentioning in a less cogent and open minded forum that the Impala compares favorably against the likes of Maxima and Avalon and was promptly flamed and ridiculed for suggesting such heresy. Some people just can't seem to give this car a fair shake - can't get past the GM label.

BTW - still on the prowl for any medium bronzemist Impalas - drove through the local dealer's lot yesterday - still none in sight. They did have a gorgeous Navy Blue with neutral leather though - fully loaded - got my pulse racing a bit!

Enjoy the day, Impalaphiles

Ken
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    That was a Typo on my part. it was built 11/99....1999 seems so long ago....Thanks Don
  • hggrayhggray Posts: 24
    Fully realizing that I might subject myself to a rash of outraged responses from the 3.8L crowd, I would like to point out that in your response to frankb7's posting #2358 your statement "there are no problems whatsoever with the 3.8L engine" seems to overlook the very early problems with engine shutdown at both driving speeds and at idle, and the later problems with hesitation and stumbling (at least one of which has resulted in a vehicle buy-back by GM). These were ALL related solely to the 3.8L powerplant.

I'm not trashing the 3800 engine, but none of us would want to see frankb7 misled through an unintentional oversight. He deserves ALL the facts to aid in his deliberation of a purchase as large as a new car....
    That the engine hesitation/shutdown problems are more of an isolated nature. My '00 LS with built date 1/00, has never ever giving me the slightest problem in that respect. Sweetpollys Impala was built a week before mine, yet her car has had this chronic issue. Only a couple of posters have had engine troubles in their cars. The shutdowns seem to be isolated to early production cars, but what puzzles me is why then my car hasn't given up the 'ghost'?

Aside from possible PCM firmware code related problems in the engine management system, no one really knows the causes behind these mysterious engine problems. However, I haven't read about these complaints on 2001 model year car and late production 2000 year Impalas.

Fuel starvation? Fuel quality? Defective sensors? Defective mechanical engine parts? No one seems to have a clear answer to this dilemma.

If the 3800 V6 was a defective engine, not only the Impala but all other corporate siblings that use this engine would be reporting these same symptoms. In my opinion the problem lies somewhere in the fuel feedback system, the fuel injection assembly, sensors or the electronic engine management system. I would be suspect of any of these parts before the actual engine.

Any comments from our seasoned Impala owners with some mechanical expertise background?
    One thing that really has caught my attention is the fact that GM is buying back 2000 Impalas from customers that complain the loudest with virtually little resistance or without putting up a big fight....strange eh?

What do you guys think?
  • frankb7frankb7 Posts: 18
    Stacy,

The '10 Best' I referred to is on Edmunds.com, I think under reviews, and Family Sedans.

From the USA - Easton, PA.

Thanks for responding to the post :)
    I understand what you are saying, but the hesitation is not with the ENGINE. The problem is with items that are attached to the engine. I think Teo said the same thing. Your comment is like saying that somebody with bad hair has a problem with his body. Bad hair can be fixed without going into the body. Anyway, it's great that we are all thinking and trying to help each other.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I found the top 10 in Edmunds. The Impala didn't do well at all. Consumer Reports gives the Impala high marks for an American car. American cars never can quite cut the mustard in Consumer Reports. Don't know if it's a bias against American cars or real since I've always driven American. I would be interested in a couple of years, when the Impala has been out a little longer, if it will get the red check mark for reliability.
  • bdimebdime Posts: 130
    If you check my profile you would think I'm from the Falkland Islands(that's the
    flag) but as I said in and earlier post I wa just playing with the flags. I also
    let folks know I'm in the Chicago area- even a person in High School can figure out
    where that is;) just harrassing you.
  • bdimebdime Posts: 130
    I can't help but wonder what kind of folks Edmunds uses to do there test
    drives and evaluations. While I looked at the Grand Prix I checked for the test
    drive report and that one was 3-4 years old, not every car gets tested every year
    as well as The individual biases are not factored in. It's like most things in life
    everyone has an opinion and it's usually worth what you paid for it.
  • platourplatour Posts: 252
    I feel like an outcast with all the hoopla about the 3.8L. Actually, I am quite pleased so far with the base engine. I did not buy the Impala as a "performance" vehicle, just a reliable and comfortable (those of you with lower back pains may understand, I have the buckets) car to get to work and take an occasional jaunt to a nearby city. The 3.4L does things very well and is starting to loosen up. It was very hard on gas in the depths of winter and during break-in. Things are improving now. I have punched the throttle on a few occasions and it seems to move out very nicely with good low-end torque. Some members have said it is underpowered. My last car was a Saturn 1.9L SL-2 so perhaps my subjective comparison is not a good measure. Does anyone else have impressions of the 3.4L? Love to hear from you.