Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• abc246abc246 Posts: 305
    Check the tire air pressure. It maybe too high. If it is OK you might be able to reduce some if you don't fully load the car. Older GM cars always had 2 settings, max load and comfort.
  • 9899olds9899olds Posts: 202
    No respect on the forum; kinda like my earlier family raising days..my kids are 48 and 41, both in the family mode which I enjoy watching to see the paybacks and the progress..

only Chevy in my future would be a Z-28; the Impala is a cost cutter committee engineered car..using the std parts from the bin..The exterior quality is a shame and that is only from reading the forum remarks for I have never sat in one..

Age will mellow the sharp tongues...that's a proven...so there is hope!!!!!
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Ditto for your Intrigue. Another cookie cutter cost engineered car. Actually I have sat in one, driven one and touched one. The fit and finish is a shame and the materials used in the cockpit don't belong on a car with a $26K price tag aimed to fight the likes of Nissan Maxima or Acura TL head on.

The extremely poor crash test results on the Intrigue only reaffirm the fact that GM dropped the ball in the safety dept. The only good thing about the Intrigue is the engine, but the rest of it you can have it.

The Intrigue is gone and its engine is gone too along with Oldsmobile. The Impala still is a better car, its far outsells the stale Intrigue and has better resale value.

Whether you like it or not, those are the facts. The Intrigue is history, the Impala will continue..
  • For the poll - I am 32.
    gw
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    The exterior quality is the best part of the car! Rock solid. Where have you seen people complaining about it? People may have issues with aspects of the styling, but I've never seen anyone knock the Impala's exterior quality in this forum. The interior quality is not nearly as strong. But, it's certainly no worse than the Intrigue.

BTW, ALL CARS from ALL MAJOR CAR COMPANIES are designed, engineered and approved by committee. There are endless meetings, market research, and Powerpoint presentations. That's the way it is in the global corporate culture. Why you would think one GM car is and another isn't is beyond me, and, quite frankly, makes no sense.
    Very little of the Intrigue came out of the general parts bin. The engine and suspension are totally different..

Does the Impala still have the common wiper/cruise control stalk on the steering column???? Left hand side..

I noticed you are a great believer in the crash data and since these cars all share a common undercarraige to some extent they should be equally crash resistant..

Last item for our little discussion is the amount of miles you have piled on two Impalas versus the miles in my semi-retirement mode of Intriguing..If I remember correctly your first Impala was around 18/20 when it was repurchased and your current one is maybe 2k miles..My 98 Intrigue went 26k and the 99 is approaching 49k..Lots of difference in mileage and my driving style is not sparing the rubber..You need a little more time behind the wheel and stop believing all the editorial garbage.

As stated the Impala is a soft cuddly car and the Intrigue is a half-[non-permissible content removed] stab by GM to compete in a very crowded segment..

I certainly will get my moneys worth out of the Intrigue for it has some rough edges; but for total reliability it been flawless..it enjoys cruising at 85 in 100 degree weather without a whimper..If it blows up we pick up the cell phone and call the 800 number..

After the 3.5 experience and it's lust for the top; there is no return to the drony 3.8 setup..The SC version of the 3.8 is a waste of money to obtain 240HP and requiring premium fuel is a downer..

You really owned a five cylinder Acura?????
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I'm tellin ya' you need to drive the impala.

The same roads that were rough and bumpy in the intrigue last year were smoothed out by the impala this year.

Handling in the mountains was excellent.

Open up the back door of your intrigue and you will see a weld where two parts of the sill come together.

In the impala it is one piece, which includes the rear fender. This alone explains the impala's better crash ratings and stiffer body structure.

Having said that, the 2002 Altima is incredible looking car and i might very well go for one shortly.

3200 lbs. 240 hp. DOHC V6. Wow!
    Yes I did own a 5-cylinder Acura. It was a 1997 2.5TL "Premium". The engine was a 2.5L SOHC 5 Cylinder in line 20 valve all alluminum rated at 176HP. Great rock solid engine that was hampered by the mediocre 4-Speed Automatic "Grade Logic" Transmissions, quite possibly the most negative aspect of that car. The transmission jerked and hunt between gears as it didn't know where to go to.. I would have really liked this car more with a precise shifting Honda 5-speed manual.

This car was made in Japan, light years away from the current crop of Ohio grown Acura TL/CL's.

The Engine was mounted longitudinally not horizontally and it still was FWD. Very unsual setup only found on older Volvos and Audis..

You need to drive an Impala LS for it appears that you have a lot of prejudices against a car that as you say, you haven't even been inside of it.

The LS has a tight quick ratio steering which is totally different from the setup found in the Base Impala with the 3.4 engine. Don't believe me?

Take it for a test drive or ask B4z who just came back from the mountains on his Impala LS.

The Impala no longer uses the Roger Smith era multifunction stalk. Cruise control buttons and remote stereo buttons are located in the steering wheel hub, where they are intended to be. They are extremely easy and intuitive to operate without taking your eyes off the road and are illuminated to boot at night.

The Left stalk only has the ON/OFF switch for the Cruise control, the wiper controls and the turn signals. You can also activate the high beams by pressing the stalk towards you.

Next time you go by your Chevy dealer, try an Impala LS and then come back to praise/rant about it.

The Intrigue is and will always be a W Body car like the Impala. Most parts come from the General's parts bin, I don't know where you grab this idea that the Intrigue is made like the Olds of OLD with separate parts, chassis, engines, etc...that was ended during the Roger Smith regime!!!

The Impala LS is a fantastic car far more desirable than your Intrigue.

I drive around 1200 miles per month give or take in slow bumper to bumper traffic in the Florida heat....that's an endurance test for any car.

Go and trade your Intrigue pronto for the Camaro Z28, for the resale value of the Intrigue will keep on plummeting!!!
    I hear ya!

That 2002 Nissan Altima looks tempting!!! Umm my wife might go for it!

If you get the Altima, would you keep the Impala?

That will be a nice combo to keep in the garage..
    I fully agree with you both; since you both signed on the dotted line owing Impalas and agreeing to faithfully increase your equity each month; then you all should be totally IMPALA boosters..

My Intrigue has depreciated to a stable level and another 20/25k miles won't hurt the value.. Since it's mine, the motivation to drive it is impelling in these unsure economic times..

Did anyone ever see a 6 mo recession??? teo, you are too young; but b4z is old enough to remember..

At my age, slowdowns are usually 2/3 yrs..History is the only data to rely on; but the buying public is running out of money and credit..
  • hunter39hunter39 Posts: 375
    This conversation reminds me of the other fella that liked to come to this forum and put down the Impala, remember him? I think it was that Malibu guy. Some people can never grow up and resist the chance to argue about who's b*lls are bigger!

By the way,research continues...
  • cookie01cookie01 Posts: 369
    Upon further review I find I am only actually 36 !!!! years old. Dang. Almost pushed myself one year earlier into the grave. 1965... 36... yes.. that's it..

And I had that grandbaby at 35, so I'm right up there with the 40 year old guy with two 20-something boys. How do those boys like the car? My 22 year old stepson loves it and would take it off my hands today if he had any money. He's also a big guy and driving my Impala is a dream to him. I have the bench seats, so he's never complained about the "loaf of bread" under his leg thing. That would bug me too. Probably enough to order custom seats.

During my vacation I drove all over Central Oregon up and down some pretty steep grades. The car is a dream up those hills. I had the A/C going the whole time and you never noticed a hesitation.

One day, for a hike, the car was driven up 7+ miles of VERY dusty gravel washboard road. It was noisy... but the real hell was all the dust I picked up in the car. The hubby drove with the air on "fresh" AKKKK!!!! so dusty crap is all over the car. Tonight will be my "fine toothed comb" detail night to see if I can get most of it out.
    How's the research going?
  • Resale value has stablized? Try selling your car now. REALLY try to sell it. You'll sde that you're completely off.

I do have to say that for being an "Aged" gentlement you act very juvenile. You slam a vehicle you haven't even sat in, let alone driven. Do you really have so much time, or have such a poor existance, that you must take to doign this? I expect more of our older population.

I looked at the Intrigue. It's fit and finish wasnt' as refined as the Impala. Did the same w/ the Alero and again came back to Chevy.

You're view is very skewed and biased. You have no credability. Go play somewhere else.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    Hunter: Got that right! It seems like a big p-ing contest, sometimes, instead of an honest and thoughtful comparison/discussion.
    Teo: I have to disagree about the newest CL. I know you prefer the older Nippon-built Acuras, but my US-built CL is for the most part top notch. The transmission, the only part actually made in Japan, is flawless. It's even smoother than the Impala's, which is pretty smooth in its own right. Have you driven one?
    The two cars make an excellent combo. Sporty coupe and (sporty) family sedan. Personally, I think it's an even better combo than Impala/Altima. ;-)
    9899:You're just..you know...wrong. But, what do I know? I'm just a punk kid of 43 that makes prudent purchasing and financial decisions based on fact, not preconceived notions, myth, hearsay, and old wives' tales.
    It also helps to actually be familiar with something before opining about it.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    Man, things sure are getting hot under the collar around here. I thought it was only hot outside these past few days!

I try to remember that everyone has a right to their own opinion. I'd like to think that these opinions are based on fact rather than conjecture, but often they're not. My wife will believe almost anything a TV commercial tells her, and I still believe that cranberry sauce is radioactive waste from a nuclear power plant and is unfit for human consumption, even though I've never tried it (cranberry sauce - not nuclear waste).

Most of the people on this group LOVE the Impala (myself included). However, there are lots of people in the world that don't like it (maybe even hate it), some with good reason, some without. Occasionally I even agree with the detractors.

The bottom line is this is a public forum. Anyone and everyone has the right to express their opinion. If they state it in a less than polite manner so be it - I'm comfortable enough with my decision that nobody on this group (or anywhere else for that matter) can make me regret my decision.

I really enjoy this group, particularly when we can debate issues in an open, honest, and POLITE manner. I hope we can keep doing so for a long time in the future.
    Brad
    Is car buying really a matter of fit and finish or is it purely economic??????

Is there a free lunch at the Impala counter???

Don't think I gave out the stabilized price; now did I????

This is an free day waiting for the phone to ring for all the business has been placed for the next four yrs in the automotive area and the other stuff is done on a quarterly basis..Tomorrow is Golf and friday is business..Okay

By the way I noticed the SS check came today..

Alero is really small,Intrigue is too pricey, but Impala fits the bill for price..I go along with that for the next step is a upgraded Impala out of the same parts bin--LeSabre..

Now you have a nice day..I am doing well in the Motor City...This is where the action starts on the drawing board and ends up in somebodys driveway..

Gotta listen to Rush!!!
    Don't know. Maybe. Real estate has slowed down a lot as have car sales. I went through the '74- 75 one and the one in the early eighties.
    Does anybody remember what WIN stands for?

I am tightening my purse strings. Might let the
    impala go and wait for the altima. That way i would be without a car payment for a couple of months.
    I still have the camaro to drive during that time.

Other than the vinyl trim on the roof i have not had one single thing go wrong with it.
    In 9 weeks of wnership i have 4300 miles on the car!
    I had multiple problems with the intrigue during that mileage.
    I would wait and see how the new Altima fares reliability wise...remember it is still a first year car after a full overhaul.

Is better to let others test drive the 1.0 version of an all new car before taking the plunge, just in case.

The Altima is nice but it is smaller than the Impala.

I would keep both around and let go of the Camaro...
    Broom the camaro for the real estate could get interesting with people upside down in the home value market and not working..

Just made the third offer on a vacant house in Fla, been on market for 2 yrs, in an estate deal; vacant, offered 20% less than listed price..

Interest rates are rotten for the AARPers who use interest income to subside..
  • cabellocabello Posts: 101
    ARE WE BUYING HOUSES NOW? I NOW HAVE 43000 MILES ON MY 2000 IMPALA!
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Posts: 760
    When they first came out with the computer controlled feedback system, you could replace the chip in the car's computer. Then the manufacturer's made the chips non-removable. So now, you can reprogram the chip or intercept the feedback signals between the engine sensors and the computer and modify them. This is what the JET product does.

If you are interested in the JET unit and how to install one, go to my site and take a look at the JET Power Control Unit how-to article. I have been told that it does not remove the speed limiter, but you do get more HP and the fuel economy improved. The down side is you will have to switch to premium gas.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

Camaro stays as it is paid for and is worth more to me than on the open market.
    Carrying 6 residential listings now and inventory is building. Price reductions are in order.
    Saw that car sales are down and the incentives are not working. Detroit seems to be building cars earlier, and 2002's are appearing on the lots in July.
    Low inventory of impalas and no inventory on intrigues.
    Impala is a lot of car for the money overall.
    Still happy with my purchase, but never considered it a long term deal. I parked my early lease turn in money in the impala.
    21K for a fully loaded full size car is pretty incredible.
    The altima that i am looking at wil probably cost 23K or more. Smaller car, but better performance.
  • hunter39hunter39 Posts: 375
    Yes still looking and reading, I went to the Nissan site to look at that Altima, it's sharp looking and you're right about first year models, however, I have had pretty good luck with my 2000LS even if you and others haven't, so I'm less inclined to be scared off of the Altima for just that reason. I still think the Camry with a V6 will be too pricey. If the wife didn't think the Impala was too big I'd be going for another frankly...
    Sorry for asking, but will you lose your 'shirt' by trading up your Impala early, even if it is a lease?

Why not keep the car for another year or so?

Aside from the issues of buying the 1.0 version of an all new car (I think Nissan has excellent build quality, but you never know)right now the new '02 Altima will command high MSRP or above prices. Why pay extra for the fad?

Let the market for the Altima cool down as I am sure you'll get a better deal and a better car 1 or 2 years down the road...

Just my .10 cents
    The current Camry is OK but the 2002 looks much, much better. However, I still prefer the looks and performance of the '02 Altima. I have seen pictures of the '02 Lexus ES300 and the car looks hideous...it appears that the Infiniti designers moved over to Lexus.

For the first time, the '02 Camry looks better than the '02 ES300 IMHO.

There are a lot of neat models coming up next year and if you can pass up on current low interest rates and incentives, I would wait to see what comes down the pipe within the next few months...
    Neat website, enjoyed very much and since you are a Impala aficionado maybe you can answer a question..if none of the Jet kits remove the speed limiter on the LS model, other than tires there has to be a reason that GM does not offer relief on the LS series?? I assume the SS Monte Carlo is limited at the 128/130 mark.. They are equipped with the Goodyear RSAs and modified suspension to handle the extra..

Just curious if Impala offers such a deal and if the police pkg is available to the general public..
  • frankf3frankf3 Posts: 96
    NICE JOB!! on the info you have posted concerning removing the radio.I think the information and accompanying picture do a great job in explainimg how to remove the radio. The only thing that now makes me nervous is the possible re-programmng of the radio. I am going to have to get additional about a possile reprogramming of the radio. I would really hate it to find out I am unable to get the new radio to run because of the theftloc, then be unable to to the old radio to run because the theftloc may get activated when removed from the dash also.

Thanks
    Frank
    I bought the impala. I paid 21K for a car that had a 25.5K MSRP so i am not too far upside down.
    That was a steal!

Sorry if I sounded too intruding...