Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    hambone7hambone7 Member Posts: 130
    I ordered a TB in May, GM "accepted" my order June 4, I called the 800 number listed about 40 posts above but they will not give me a build date yet. They told me to call back in a few weeks... It can't be that hard to schedule a week in which to build a truck... The dealership said 6-8 weeks, but 10-12 weeks seems more likely at this point.

Anyone else have a similar issue with GM not supplying a build date?
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I have not drving the new 6 yet. Is the power as good as the 4.3 V-6? I hear both stories, the old one has more power and the new one has more power. I don't read much into the HP numbers. Nissan is playing that game too. Where usable HP and torque are produced is more important. In the V-6 is was made a low rpms. Has anyone owned the old and new back to back?
  • Options
    akajoeakajoe Member Posts: 69
    I had an 'S10 Blazer with the 4.3L V6 (lower power rating than more recent models, but not by much). It was in a car accident and got totaled. I replaced it with a Bravada with the I6.

Major points:

1). Throttle tip in is much more refined with the new I6 because of the drive by wire accelerator pedal. The 4.3L V6 tended to be too torquey from idle and would jump off the line making it difficult to accelerate from a stop smoothly.

2). The I6 is among the smoothest engines I've ever driven - Japanese ones included.

3). The I6 is among the freest reving engine I've ever driven, and does so without the loud racket that many 4 valve/cyl engines produce. It has a low exhaust note that is sporty but subdued.

4). It definitely accelerates much more quickly than my Blazer. When you get on the engine, the throttle control kicks in and you get the torqueyness you need. When you are taking it easy, the throttle control lets you ease the power. Zero-to-sixty times I haven't measured, but I barely get to look at the speedometer under acceleration before I have to back off (or exceed the speed limit).

5) When overdrive kicks in, it loafs around 1200rpm at 45mph. For many streets, you torque around at 1200rpm and the tranny never downshifts because there is plenty of torque. On the freeway, it also loafs around, but zips to 3000rpm easily to pass. I haven't had opportunity to get above 3000rpm.
  • Options
    aleasealease Member Posts: 22
    I ordered an Envoy 4-25, I called each week and got the same "gm hasn't accepted your order yet". I called each week and finally on 6-5 they gave me a build week of 6-11. The dealership tells me I should have it 7 days after that. I am trying to be patient. I have also heard that it could be more like 30 days to del.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Has anyone purchased the dealer installed rubber floor mats for the Envoy? I have had the MacNeil rubber mats in my pickup. They are good, but I keep wearing a hole in the driver's mat-have gone through 2 sets in 3 years. Am wondering if anyone had bought the GM mats and if so, how do you like them? Also, the lower rear doors flare out towards the wheel well. Has anyone had a problem with stone chipping there and, if so, is there anything you can do about it? I seem to remember some sort of lower body protective film as a dealer option but have not seen any info. on it. Anyone have any knowledge or experience? I have ordered my Envoy and the scheduled build date is next week. I have the running boards, which should help with the stone chipping, but am wondering about the protective film. Any input on these two items is welcome.
  • Options
    Thanks, at least I know I'm not alone and that when GM finally does assign a build date it isn't that far into the future.
  • Options
    steph7steph7 Member Posts: 2
    I order my Envoy SLT with 1SG package on March 13. Order was accepted by GMC on April 10 and the build date was scheduled for May 14. I have been in touch with my dealer and indeed it was built on May 14. Only problem now, they don't know where it is...
  • Options
    earlcearlc Member Posts: 34
    I have had others also say they thought pewter was a shade of silver. Sometimes though with the light at a certain angle on the pewter TB it looks like a light gold color. Anyway it is a very unusual color to me and I really do like it.
  • Options
    I didn't need to hear that, ouch. It sounds like you have more patience than me. Good Luck!
  • Options
    jw4gmjw4gm Member Posts: 27
    I'm trying to order a Bravada with 2w drive in sandalwood. So far, neither the color nor the 2w drive seem to be available. Does anyone out there have information on when either of these options will be available? If so, please post.
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    According to brochure, not till later in 2001.
  • Options
    http://www.arifleet.com/production.html

This web site will help...

• Options
    morelockmorelock Member Posts: 7
    Really like the Envoy SEE - Pewter, no options needed. I can get the employee discount, plus $1000 on my wife Old certificate and @ $500 on my CM Card (old one). Sticker is $31,645 and my price would be $26145, hats $5500 off MSRP and more than $2500 under invoice. However, with 6.9% at my credit union payment is still over $500. Anyone hear about any lease deals? With the price I can get it at, if the % rate isn't bad and the residual is good, I would think I could get in the $300's on a lease deal with nothing down. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    lyndellwlyndellw Member Posts: 31
    I see NHTSA has just recently posted two more service bulletins on the Envoy. They pertain to seatbelts SB 080401,and SB 120401 pertaining to the 2002 eight inch ring gear axle. Anybody out there have any first hand knowledge about these bulletins,what's the problem,etc? If I go to my local dealer and ask all I would get is a blank stare.
  • Options
    debbin67debbin67 Member Posts: 35
    I don't know about leasing, however, my local paper is advertising 3.9% financing on the Envoy's. I guess I bought too early but hopefully it helps those of you who are looking to purchase now. I am in the Chicago area if it makes a difference.
  • Options
    doc35doc35 Member Posts: 23
    You might look into StonGard. It is a 3M protective film. Used for years on Porsche, especially in the application that you ask about. I have had it for almost 3 years on my A4 and no rock chips where it covers and it is practically invisible on my silver car. Would get it again in a heartbeat.

Kirk
  • Options
    jac27jac27 Member Posts: 15
    Don't know anything about leasing, but most locations have 3.9 / 4.9 / 5.9 % financing until July 2nd.
  • Options
    morelockmorelock Member Posts: 7
    I have heard about the 3.9/4.9/5.9 interest rates, but that doesn't include Indiana.
  • Options
    zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Local dealer here in Philly area advertises a 4x4 Envoy SLE with the 1SD package for $2000 cap cost reduction (based on $1000 cash and $1000 coupon), plus first month plus security deposit plus license for $379/mo plus tax on a 36 month/12,000 mile per year lease. You can extrapolate with higher priced vehicles by adding about $30 per month per additional $1000 of cost.
  • Options
    brettrohringbrettrohring Member Posts: 5
    Went to a dealer in Long Beach, CA last weekend and found 6 TB's just sitting there waiting for new owners. 3 were LTZ's and others were LT's. Still haven't seen a single TB on the road yet.
  • Options
    rpageaurpageau Member Posts: 94
    Hate to dredge up those bad memories for everyone who was on board back in April, but I think I finally can call it ...case closed. In the mail today, I finally got my written confirmation of the bumper to bumper warranty extension to 5/60 (seems it needed several approvals, so it took a while), AND there was notice of a certified letter to be picked up from Chevrolet. Based on what I have read here, that is probably the $100 whatever they are giving out. In the grand scheme of things, I'm pretty glad the recall happened (now that it's over).
  • Options
    joe_macjoe_mac Member Posts: 7
    I am interested in the earlier posts concerning oil usage of the new I-6 engine. Is it possible the oil level was orginally low or is the engine really using oil? Hard to believe a brand new engine would use oil.
  • Options
    racoonlodgeracoonlodge Member Posts: 34
    General Motors extended the Sandalwood & Forest Green colors another month (August 1st availability). I think I would get the Sandalwood (if I could see it), but have to wait another month. What then GM? July comes around and extend it another month?

Just don't get a good feeling about these colors, like are they having trouble with them? Just seems like bad planning or maybe they're trying to rush these out. One gets to wonder.

http://www.arifleet.com/production.html

• Options
    iukstuiukstu Member Posts: 12
    Joe mac

My husband checked all the fluid levels when we brought the Bravado home. It used a quart of oil before it even reached 3000 miles. I called today to schedule an appointment for it's first oil change and I mentioned this to the service manager. He told me that G.. states that it is acceptable for "these trucks to use a quart of oil every thousand miles or so." I told him that we have never had to add oil between changes, and believe me, we do keep track of these things. He said that from now on when I need to add oil I have to drive it the 35-40 minutes to the dealership so he can check the oil and write down the mileage for documentation for G.. in case anything ever becomes of it. First time it was on a Sunday, several states from home. He is going to have to come up with a plan for vacations and holidays because I plan to be gone a lot this summer.

The only other person that I know that also has a 2002 Bravado used a quart of oil by 2000 miles. It is definitely worth keeping track of.

By the way, anyone having trouble with the engine racing for the first few blocks when you first start out. Did it to me today for the first time. Please let me know. Thanks!
  • Options
    morpheus0011morpheus0011 Member Posts: 2
    iukstu,

I have notice the Engine Fan running running hard the first couple of miles. The manual mention this on page 5-17:

"This vehicle has a clutched engine cooling fan. When the clutch is engaged, the fan spins faster to provide more air to cool the engine. In most everyday driving conditions the clutch is not engaged. This improves fuel economy and reduces fan noise. Under heavy vehicle loading, trailer towing, and/or high outside temperatures, the fan speed increases when the clutch engages. So you may hear an increase in fan noise. This is normal and should not be mistaken as the transmission slipping or making extra shifts. It is merely the cooling system functioning properly. The fan will slow down when additional cooling is not required and the clutch disengages. You may also hear this fan noise when you start the engine. It will go away as the fan clutch disengages."

Now the temperture here has been in the 90's for the pass couple of days. I have been getting this high fan speed everytime I start to drive my car.
    Could I have a faulty engine fan clutch? It make a fairly loud fan noise from the engine compartment. I'm planning on taking to the dealer for a check up.

My GMC ENVOY also burns more than normal amount of Motor Oil.
  • Options
    After reading all the posts on oil usage, I have checked my TB a couple of times. Glad to report no oil usage through 2000 miles.

I live in Central Florida where the temperature from 6/1 - mid October never goes below 72 degrees. The garage temperature in the early morning is at about 85 degrees. My V6 Blazer frequently exhibited the excessive fan noise for the first 1/4 mile or so after startup. My new TB has yet to exhibit it.

What in the world is making a couple of paint colors so hard to get? That certainly doesn't seem it should be in the rocket science category.
  • Options
    trek1420btrek1420b Member Posts: 32
    My TB has had the excessive fan noise on rare occasions upon starting the engine. It stops within a mile or less.

rpageau. How did you get the 5/60 extended coverage? Are you the one in Arizona that had another dealer pick it for the recall? If that's the case, I remember all the problems you had and you deserve the extra coverage. I wrote a letter to GM requesting it and shortly after received a phone call from them that they were not extending the warranty.
  • Options
    brettrohringbrettrohring Member Posts: 5
    Just spoke with my local dealer and he agreed that GM **should** offer a better warranty to match those of other brands. 3/36 just doesn't cut it these days (relatively).

Does anyone know enough about vehicle paint to explain the reason behind the delay with specific colors? I'm not knowledgable in the area, but am curious about it.

Anyone know about upcoming incentives from GM on 2002 TB? I'm in California.
  • Options
    jrscesjrsces Member Posts: 8
    Hi
    Please see accessories and modifications posting #7 for info on this topic.
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    At 1,600 miles the oil in my BravadA (I still cannot understand why someone who has this car would call it a BravadO.)is still where it was when I bought it. That surprised me because every new car I have ever had (two every three years) has used oil between the first two oil changes.

I have noticed the fan noise but not nearly as bad the loud ROAR of my '98 Blazer for the first 1/4 mile or so.

Has anyone noticed how totally worthless the front drink holder is in the Bravada? I cannot understand why they put it in front of the rear wiper control and in the way of the shifter while it is in park. I cannot understand why they did away with the column shifter like they had in the Blazers. And why put the parking brake lever is there instead of by your feet? What a bunch of wasted space on the console.
  • Options
    iukstuiukstu Member Posts: 12
    mfullmer - Sorry, Bravado was a typo. We can't all be perfect or we would know that your last sentence doesn't need the word "is". Point...everyone makes typos!

I agree with you about the cup holder in the console. Someone didn't think that one through. I am pleased to say that my Bravada has not used any oil since we added the quart. Hopefully this was a one time deal. It's in the shop right now getting it's first oil change and a few "fixes". They are ordering a new console for it because the lid was crooked, and a new seat belt. The service guy was very nice and admitted that they don't know much about these vehicles because they have a new motor and etc. He said that they would be learning on these for future reference. Scary, but I appreciate his honesty. The price we pay for buying a first year vehicle...but my Bravada is worth it!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Doesn't help that our spell check wants to change "Bravada" to "Bravado". I'll ask "them" to add Bravada to the list of correct words.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    My Bravada just had problem. The gear selector lever broke. Can't get it to go into park. If you can't get in to park you can't remove the key!! Something let go at cable end or maybe an adjustment?
    Had to get the owners manual out to find how to override the shift interlock :( You pull the shift boot and press a orange lever. Droped it off at the dealer this morning we will see what broke.

Allen
  • Options
    blefflerbleffler Member Posts: 22
    I just had an interesting experience in my Bravada. My service eengine soon light came on last night. I called Onstar, they ran diags, but coudn't find anything wrong. I took it to the dealer first thing this morning.

His first question was to inquire if my gas cap was on tight. Sure enough, the cap was on, but not turned all the way. A few minutes later, the service engine light went off.
  • Options
    Trek....Click over to the TB Owners forum, and I'll give you the whole story. It's probably not that interesting to most on this forum.
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Dealer say's the unit is broken?? He is going to over night the new part, should be in first thing sat. morning. Messed around and didn't get back down for a loner car. Waitting for wife to pick me up :) Service is open on Sat. so I should get the truck back in the morning.

Allen
  • Options
    akajoeakajoe Member Posts: 69
    At 2600 miles, no noticeable oil usage. Have had increase fan noise on startup when engine is cold (from overnight parking), and outside temp is high (above 80). Lasts about a mile, then engine settles down to normal. This doesn't happen on cold days. I wonder why they think they need to cool harder when outside temp is warm but engine is cold. Coolant is cold at this point also. Probably a software bug in the computer.
  • Options
    chipperrrrrchipperrrrr Member Posts: 29
    Would you proud TB owners please post how much you paid over true invoice when purchasing. Am contemplating the purchase soon but would like to have some amunition when going in to deal. Would 300 over true invoice seem too low to offer for an LS model with limited options. Would appreciate any info you could shed on the situation. Thanks.
  • Options
    pbshannpbshann Member Posts: 20
    Still can't get any info from GM or dealer about the Factory Installed DVD Player. No one seems to know how much they will cost. So I went to my local car audio shop and they are saying approx. 1500 total. This sounds fair as my dealer was guessing that the actual GM price would be right around $2000. If anyone gets any info on this please post. By the way the quote was for a flip down 6 inch screen, DVD player, 2pair wireless headphones and installation.
  • Options
    zhockeyzhockey Member Posts: 1
    I was one of the first to get an '02 Envoy in March, have it recalled, fixed, and be back on the road with no problems (except now my driver side view mirror is acting up!). I just came from the post office where I picked up my $100 traveler's check. I believe I only received this because I called the GMC 866# and asked where my $650 payment check was that I had heard they were giving. I believe I read that here and my svc. mgr mentioned it as a possibility. Now I will call back and ask about the 5yr/50K warranty extension. Can anyone please verify that they received more from GMC? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    ralforalfo Member Posts: 36
    I received the standard 2/24 warranty extension, 3 Month On-star extension, 3/36 warranty adjusted to start 5/4/01. Received my $100 check at the post office. and they agreed to either pay one months payment or running boards, my choice. I chose the boards which are on order. I inquired on the 5/60 and they have denied me.
  • Options
    gator71gator71 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me if there is a dealer in the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Wilkesboro area that will sell me a Envoy at or below dealer invoice? Did someone say in a post that they went through a fleet manager. Is this a recomended option? I would like to make the purchase within the next 30 days
  • Options
    Ok, so I finally took the plunge. I was debating between the Audi Allroad 2.7T Quattro and the Envoy. The Audi had a pretty good deal on a lease. Money Factor .00175 or about 4.2% APR equivalent and I was able to get a deal on the MSRP and get a REALLY good price on my trade-in for my area. My biggest problem is that my trade is a hard driven 99 Audi A4 2.8Quattro with almost 50K miles and it will be 3 years old in November. My guy at Audi said they normally wouldn't even take my car for resale on their lot except it was meticulous for the miles mechanically with only one dented drivers door, Stongard on the front and one Novus windshield fix. He gave me 20K for it if I was to trade it in. Things that hurt are high miles, new bodystyle model A4 in 2 months, some bodywork needs to be done. I was getting much lower offers elsewhere even though Edmunds says I should get a little higher. Not possible in my area, too many off lease, etc... The guy at Audi is the GM and happens to be a friend so I knew he wasn't steering me wrong.

Anyway, that prefaces the Envoy deal. I decided upon the Envoy, of course, just time for a RIG!

The GMC dealer gave me 20500 for my trade. $500 above invoice on the Envoy. Free winter mats and Onstar Premium Service upgrade for 1 year, 2 tanks of gas, let me drive it home last night before the deal was complete just to make sure I and my friends/family approved of the choice. And gave me a lease with a money factor of .00205 or about 4.9% APR equivalent. GM Smartlease with included "free" GAP Insurance and no disposition fee. Fees upfront 1381.12 incl. license 149.25, acquisition fee 595, 1st mo 581.87.

Keep in mind, my lease payment is high intentionally. I pulled all cash out of the deal since my business is leasing it and it is a write-off. Taking home about $6100 from my trade-in after loan payoff.

Overall my RENTAL fee is 3639.12 for 36 mos/15,000 mi per annum lease. or about 109 a month. Not bad in my mind. of course could always be better, right?! residual is 17985.60 or I believe right around 50%.

Have never leased before, but my accountant said that with a factory incentive lease it is almost stupid in MY situation not too since it is so easy from a business standpoint, unless I want a rig over 6000 lbs GVWR for instant equipment expensing and quick depreciation schedule. Not ready for the Denali, although I drove it and it was nice, like the Envoy better.

BTW, Monterey Maroon with Dark Pewter, 1SH and Moonroof pkg.

Thanks for listening, feel free to comment on any mistakes I made in this deal, we only learn by doing and improving next time!

Kirk
  • Options
  • Options
    jeff237jeff237 Member Posts: 38
    I received $650 first months payment, running boards, and the 2/24, 3 months On Star, one month warranty. Then in the mail last week, a one hundred dollar travelers check. The rental they gave me was a new Saab 9-5se. Not bad for not having my Envoy for three weeks.
  • Options
    patxlbpatxlb Member Posts: 7
    How did you negotiate the first month payment? Did the $$ come directly from GM or from your dealer? I have received the standard comps from GM only. I'd definitely be interested in the first months payment.
  • Options
    svegliandosvegliando Member Posts: 6
    I noticed that sometimes when I start my Chevy TB, it's set to Driver 2 although I only use driver 1 settings. I'm the only driver and have modified settings under driver 1. This started happening after I got my vehicle back from the dealer (minor repair) and noticed it was set to driver 2. Does anyone know how to default the system to always start with driver 1?
  • Options
    JMNJNJMNJN Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have or know of where i could see the leather interior in tan? I have checked the everywhere on the net for pictures and haven't see one yet.
  • Options
    badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    You probably need to re-program the key fob, from the factory one is programmed to call Driver-1 and the other is programmed to call Driver-2. You can either set both of them for Driver-1 or make the settings for Driver-2 the same as Driver-1.
  • Options
    dukeofchurchildukeofchurchil Member Posts: 6
    2002 Trail Blazer was Advertised in Austin Texas paper for 23,188.00 this weekend (6/15/01)