Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Beetle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    umpireumpire Member Posts: 12
    I just traded my 2000 NB GLS for a Toyota Avalon.

I had nothing but problems with my Beetle. Three O2 sensors, five window switches, a hatchback that refused to open on the first try, AC compressor/ and a driver's side window motor that failed (and controlled the door locks and side mirrors) later, I couldn't take it anymore.

My MPG's went from 33 to 25 after the third O2 sensor was installed.

Though the car was fun to drive, I am glad to be rid of it and sincerely hope the buzz I read about Toyota quality is correct.
  • Options
    ibabugibabug Member Posts: 1
    Car has been in the shop three times totalling 4 weeks without car (they did give rental) I did buy a new car didn't I. This time the radio (replaced once before) drained the battery. Taken 8 days so far-no radio insight although they keep saying they found it. What are my options????? HELP I hope I didn;t make a $28,000 mistake.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Personally I would not make a "$28,000 mistake" because I would never pay that much for this car.

I am not a great fan of Ford products but one can buy a Mustang GT convertible for less than $30K and at least enjoy the power of a V8 and probably a lot better reliability than VW beetle.

Factoring in how much the workers who make the Bettle earn, I think this car should be priced at $ 10K at most.
  • Options
    tshields1tshields1 Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a 2000 1.8 Turbo Beetle which I love! I would like to add a CD player but hate to get rid of the "cool VW" radio from the dealer.
    Where or ow can I mount a CD player?
    Thanks for your help!
    Ted
  • Options
    bluelemonbluelemon Member Posts: 5
    Gerd Klauss, President
    Volkswagen of America, Inc.
    3499 West Hamlin Road
    Rochester Hills, Michigan

Dear Mr Klauss,

As the President of Volkswagen, I thought you might like to hear of my recent experience in purchasing a product from your company. It is a story from which not only you, but many others, can learn, and one which I am anxious to share.

I spent many years admiring Volkswagen cars for both their styling and espoused reliability, before I could finally afford to purchase one after I completed graduate school in 2002. In 2003, I proudly purchased a second-hand 1999 New Beetle GL, 2.0L, with a manual transmission and 50540 on the odometer. I had the car service checked by a AAA technician prior to purchase, to make sure it was in good condition, and I drove away a relatively happy customer. I was given no warranty brochure and no information about the manufacturer's warranty at this time.

As I rarely drove the car in the first month of ownership, I made my first journey in it when I moved from*** to ***. This is the last time I drove the car happily. My ten year admiration of Volkswagen began to dissipate one month into ownership. Immediately after the 350 mile drive, the 'check engine light' came on in my vehicle, and I lost power between gears. I spent the next four months and nearly $700 trying to fix this problem, including two visits to an extremely unreliable, unfriendly and not especially knowledgeable dealership (about whom I complained to VW USA).

It was during the next couple of months (September--October 2003) that I discovered the excessive oil consumption of the car. I drove one thousand miles without checking the oil in the Beetle, and the level went so low it caused the engine to knock. VW claims in one of their technical service bulletins (1701) that this level of consumption (one quart per thousand miles) is normal. If so, may I suggest that oil gauges similar to petrol gauges be fitted into the instrument panel? Since this is a most unusual characteristic of an automobile, the ignorance of which could cause the destruction of the engine, I think the driver should have an easy way of knowing when a refill is needed (usually every 2-3 weeks), as with the petrol.

In the new year, the Beetle suffered a spate of small problems. The battery died at 58K. Door handles and the finish on the parking brake wore. A cupholder broke off. The plastic grid at the front snapped. No one could fix the power mirrors which had never worked. However, this was a time of relative peace between me and the Beetle. Although I dreaded the return of the infamous check engine light , everything seemed to be fixed for the first time. I call this period, 'The Calm Before the Storm'.

The storm blew in around June 2004, with 60000 miles on the odometer, to mark the anniversary of one year of unhappy ownership, I heard a noise upon releasing the clutch at start up. Taking the car to the shop, I was told to replace the starter motor. This cost me $500. I also had the car fully serviced, which cost me $600. The replacement of a blown tail light and a new windshield blade cost another $130.

At this point, my family and friends began to beg me to sell the car. And at this point, I was afraid to pass on my problem to someone else. And would it were, but that's not the end of my story.

Whilst on my way home from work (odometer 67000) at the end of July, I heard an awful scraping sound coming from the transmission. I feared the worst, and received it. The mechanic diagnosed an 'internal failure', very similar to the one I suffered when told my repair bill, to replace the entire transmission: $2900! One third of the purchase price of the car.

It was at this point I called the customer service representatives at VW USA, and was informed that I was not covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. as I was not the car's original owner. I was however told that, due to recalls, I could have my Mass Air Flow Sensor replaced; my windows fixed if they fell into the door; and my complaint documented. And that was that. Mr Klaus, don't you think a warranty should stand behind a car, not an owner? I should very much like to know why, if VW have faith in their product, this policy is in effect.

A week ago I collected my car from the mechanic. The clutch, they found out, was also 75% worn, and also needed replacement. The bill was nearly $3500. A day or so after I collected it, the lock system was mistiming, and a $1 door switch needed replacement. VW, however, only offers a whole new latch. This repair cost me $250.

A year of VW ownership has cost me nearly $6000 (not including routine service, such as oil changes), as well as untold amounts of depression and inconvenience. It has sunk to me a level of debt I did not anticipate.

Additionally, the car has spent over a month in total in repair shops, leaving me stranded. It is now for sale, despite my qualms of conscience over selling such a sour lemon to another unknowing human being.

Mr Klaus, the one thing you should know, if you learn nothing else from my story, is that I am not alone. You can refer to websites such as myvwlemon.com, suckercars.com, and others: a short Google search brings up many such websites entirely devoted to problems with modern VWs. On these sites, you can, and you should, read about some of the misery, expense and inconvenience these cars have caused their unfortunate owners.

To satisfy my own curiosity, and to sooth my misery with company, last night I looked through moderated discussion groups on other web sites: edmunds.com, carsurverys.org, Consumer Reports. Each and every site had a long discussion regarding problems with VWs. For the two good reviews I read, I must have read 100 very bad ones. Included in these were some very negative comments about VW Customer Service and poor quality dealerships (corroborated by my own experience).

The complaints myself and other owners have voiced are not minor problems. They are major issues, and they have a routine similarity: transmission and engine failure, fuse boxes melting, persistent check engine light, electrical fires, window collapses, and so on. These issues are not only excessively expensive to repair; they are also safety hazards.

As I sure you know, modern companies are based on brand image. But perhaps you do not know that the current brand image of Volkwagen-- among the volks, anyhow, who actually drive the car-- is failure. We unhappy few have found to our misfortune that, due to the cost of repairs, a total lack of reliability, poor customer service, poor dealership service, and the refusal of Volkswagen to stand behind the car with their warranty (rather than use it as a buyer incentive), these cars have become one of the least attractive options on the market.

The drivers Volkswagen advertised for are out there, telling their stories. I think you should listen.
  • Options
    bluelemonbluelemon Member Posts: 5
    In the summer of 2003, you had a life-long VW customer. Now, in the summer of 2004, I wouldn't buy a VW if you sold it to me for $1. That's correct: $1 US dollar. Not now, not ever. Nor will the friends, family and many colleagues who have witnessed my ordeals first- hand. Customer loyalty, I think you may find in future, is a matter of principle.

Quite soon I should think that Volkswagen might be saying in a rather different sense: 'Drivers wanted'.

Well, President Klauss, I very much hope you enjoyed my story. For I believe that very soon you will be reading it everywhere.

Sincerely yours,

Dissatisfied VW Owner
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Please let us know if you get a response. Sorry to hear about all your problems...
  • Options
    charlie2charlie2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 New beetle that I bought new and I love the car. It runs well and it is so much fun to drive. The one complaint I have is that is has always had a funny musty smell coming from the vents when you first drive it on a warm day. Once I put the air on it will take a few minutes and then little by little it goes away only to come back when I get in the car and start out again. I called VW and they said to spray some stuff that was supposedly sold at the dealership into the vents. The dealership had no idea what I was talking about. I went to a different dealership and they had no suggestions. The car is kept outdoors all year long and since it happens in warm or especially hot weather I am thinking that it must have to do with pollen or something that gets into the vents. It doesn't happen with my other two cars, which are Hondas. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions as to how to rid the car of it? I've tried a million different air fresheners, nothing works. I'd love to get another Bug someday but I am afraid it will be another "stinker."
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It sounds like you've got some mold/mildew growing in the vents. After running the AC for awhile, is there a puddle of water under the car? If not, the drain line could be plugged up which would trap the moisture in the vents which over time will start growing all sorts of nasty things. You'll need to clean out the drain and maybe spray some Lysol in the vents. Not sure if that's okay, but it probably wouldn't hurt.
  • Options
    koliakolia Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2004 New Bettle TDI. I went CHEEP and got the GL model.
    The console doesn't have an armrest or storage compartment.
    I was wondering if anyone knows of an after market one that is available. I seen one @ JC Whitney that might work.
    Can anyone help me??
  • Options
    chadrappchadrapp Member Posts: 35
    Thinking of purchasing an 02 GLS. Anyone added a CD player or changer.
    About how much would that cost?
  • Options
    geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    In 2000 I bought a New Beetle to have a toy. It was one fun ride. Oh! I had problems with the widows, the seats wouldn't heat, and a couple of minor glitches; but they were all handled witht he warranty. I kept seeing the CR reports about bad brakes and electrical system and finding the car listed as one to avoid. Then a few months ago the car (with only 24K miles) left us stranded just four blocks from the local VW store. After getting it towed in the car started without a problem and preliminary readouts said things were fine. So, they took it into the shop to do a complete check. I was told that the instrument cluster module was the problem and it would be $380 for the part and probably a couple hours shop time. When I picked it up, I jokingly said, "Should I put a For Sale sign in it?" The reply was, "No comment." I told him I wouldn't quote him - oops! just did - and he elaborated by saying that history on these was that if the cluster module went it was soon followed by a rash of spendy (4 airbag sensors at $600 per, etc.) failures. So, I started shopping. Local dealers would not even take the car in on trade. My BEST offer was several hundred UNDER wholesale. "Since CR started listing them in the 'Cars to Avoid' column, we can't GIVE them away." I now drive a Toyota product. Oh! Since I couldn't sell the car, I gave it to charity.
  • Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    In the first three weeks of ownership I have had 9 things go wrong with my wife's New Bug Convertible. The best thing, was the drivers side window falling down inside the door and breaking. I have duck tape and plastic stuck to the car to prevent the rain from ruining the interior.

Has anyone ever known duck tape to stick to a canvas top? Well, I now know from experience that it doesn't, especially when wet...how convenient.

Ugh. The PT Cabrio is starting to seem like the better choice.
  • Options
    This weekend didn't fare so well. Our covertible top will not go up so my wife had to drive 10 miles in the rain home so that I could put it up for her. An actuator on the passenger side doesn't seem to work causing it to bind.

I smell lemons.
  • Options
    After having it back for one week, the convertible top will not close...again, the mechanism inside it warped the top structure 3 inches to the right and the driver's side window is still inoperable. Along with that, the gas gauge is still reading 1/4 tank less than what is in the tank.

This is the worst quality piece of crap that I have ever come into contact with. I would have been better off buying a 10 year old kia from a wrecking yard.

As a result, I am pursuing the lemon law buy back program.

ANYBODY WHO READS THIS, STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR, IT IS NOTHING BUT A PIECE OF CRAP!!!! JUST READ ALL OF THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS HERE AND YOU WILL SEE THAT I AM NOT ALONE!
  • Options
    Good luck with your buyback!!
  • Options
    Contacted VW yesterday and started the investigations. The operator I talked to said I was the 20th person she talked to that day that that wanted the same thing.
  • Options
    VW should be embarrassed. I hope the new Jetta's and Passat's are built better.
  • Options
    If you want a decent fun convertible, suggest buy a new Mazda Miata. You can get a new one for around $ 17.5K if you negotiate. And chances are it will run 250k miles without any major problem if maintained meticulously. The 1.8 liter DOHC engine is great. And the Miata is built in Japan, not in Mexico.
  • Options
    We inherited my father in law's 91 Special Edition in the original british racing green. Love the car and it only has 51,000 miles on it! It is number 1260 out of only 5000 that were ever produced.

GET THIS, IT HAS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT! Just 2 timing belts and regular maintence. Imagine that, a car that is trouble free.
  • Options
    Here we are...another week later and the peice of crap is still in the shop. Our first payment came in the mail. Funny thing is that of the first 45 days, we have had it in our garage for 11 days!

AGAIN, STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Delivery of your monthly payment bills will definitely be a lot more reliable than your car.

I think that given all the convertible top problems in this car, VW should develop a manual top conversion kit, or at least there should be a way to open and close the top manually (is there?).

You do not have to warn me not to buy this car. I have resisted any temptation to buy any VW vehicle for the past eighteen years. VW sold me a giant and expensive new lemon in 1986, never fixed it, insulted me repeatedly, lied to the arbitration board despite evidence presented by a certified Audi mechanic, and refused to repurchase the car. No more VWs. I have been a lot happier with Japanese cars.
  • Options
    and 3 days later, you can only listen to the radio in FULL VOLUME or off. The top works now but the driver's side window is still on the fritz. It clunks when you roll it down...or should I say when it decides to roll down.

The best part is the service manager scolded me for having the loaner car for so long...until I pointed out that he forgot to tell me that my car was done.

All the while I am waiting for VW to call with the lemon law status investigation to finish.
  • Options
    and they told me that if I want them to buy the car back, tough. They declined to buy the car back or replace it with another. They flat out said "we don't care, we will just fit the car under warranty."

This means replacing the top, the radio and all of the power window mechanism. They will also need to replace the engine for the high pitched whining sound and now blue smoke that always comes from the tailpipe.

In case anybody missed my earlier post...AVOID THIS CAR AT ALL COSTS!!!!
  • Options
    I don't know how things are in Colorado but in Oregon you do NOT work with the dealer or corporation. You file your complaint with the Consumer Fraud division of the Department of Justice. You supply them documentation that you have tried to have a problem fixed three times and it still does not function and they do the rest. It seems that their letterhead has a bit more clout than a disgruntled customer. Check out your Department of Justice.
  • Options
    Go through your states lemon Law process and forget about the dealer!!
  • Options
    Recently purchased a 2002 GLS and there is a blue temp light that is on each time I start it. Is this normal? I would understand if the engine was cold on a cold morning but these October mornings in Georgia are far from cold.
  • Options
    This is VW's form of the idiot light. The temp light is blue until operating temperature is achieved and will turn red if the engine is overheating. That is if it works. Remember Consumer Reports says avoid New Beetles because of bad electrical circuits. Just read the posts in this thead.
  • Options
    bad electrical, bad top, bad windows, bad fuel gauge, bad airbag warning lights, bad radio...
  • Options
    This is a sad record for a new car. I did not have this many problems with a used Yugo with 18K miles, which I bought in 1990 for $ 1700. (Drove it for a year and sold it for $ 1500).

BTW, the people who built your car make about 1/10th of what their counterparts in Germany make. Not that the sticker prices reflect that...
  • Options
    Did anybody see the latest Consumer Reports?

VW as the worst performing auto manufacturer in the linup. Of the cars with the worst reliability and the ones to avoid, Consumer named the VW:

Passat
    Jetta
    New Beetle
    Tourag
    Golf

That pretty much includes every car that VW makes sans the Pheaton but give that a year and it will be on the list.

Of the two months that I bought my wife a new bug convertible, it has actually resided at the dealership for 6 weeks. VW and the dealership are now refusing to return my calls.
  • Options
    YAWN!!!!
  • Options
    Yawn? Are you tired of somebody pointing out over and over again that car buying should not be a lottery where the winning ticket is getting a good and reliable car? Colorado and myself were obviously screwed by VW. Even after 18 years I am still pissed at this company, how they treated me, knowing very well what junk they produced and sold me. If you got a good and reliable VW, be happy and buy ten more cars from them. Chances are, you get a lemon too. Those of us who bought a super lemon from VW are not inclined to make the same mistake again.
  • Options
    I do NOT get tired of someone pointing out they have problems with their VW. I DO get tired of someone continually pointing out over and over and over that their car is a Lemon. After the 5th post stating that their NB is problematic I think we ALL get the point that Colorado's NB has issues. With each post stating the EXACT same thing it sounds like a broken record. If one wants to post about issues that is perfectly fine, but at least provide NEW updates or NEW problems, not just bashing the car or VW.

I do feel for anyone that has continual problems with their vehicle. I have dealt with the same things in the past with different makes of cars and it's not fun.

So, I do enjoy reading about people's experiences with their VW's, but I don't enjoy reading the same rant over and over.
  • Options
    Suggest you read the story about a gentleman who rented a brand new Jetta (Bora) with a manual transmission in Ireland (www.myvwlemon.com). The car's clutch failed at 35 (yes 35 miles) and the rental company charged this man $ 1,600 for repairs, citing "driving abuse or error". If VW had any shame whatsoever, they would have immediately taken action and make sure that story like this would never appear in print. It looks like the man has to take legal action to try to get his money back. This is unbelievable!
  • Options
    That sounds like a really bad situation (shame on VW), but has NOTHING to do with my post above!
  • Options
    How is this for new. My top failed...again and now the brakes pulsate with only 1600 miles.
  • Options
    The point I was trying to make that people tend to rave and rant about their bad experiences a lot more when the company ignores their plight, does not repair the vehicle under warranty to their satisfaction, and blames them for failures that are not their fault. And the referenced article is clearly the proof that VW does just that.
  • Options
    Colorado, let us know when your engine blows up -It seems that when VW makes a lemon, they really mean it....

Seriously, I feel your pain. These stories would be funny if these cars cost $ 250 instead of $ 25,000. As it is, they are only entertaining to the outsiders.
  • Options
    I guess my only comment to this is VW market share and financial situation is hurting because they have MAJOR quality control issues and poor customer support. I guess I am a lucky one (so far) that my previous '02 Jetta and my current '04.5 Passat are rock solid. I know that can change, but I do have my fingers crossed. I will also add that I would only lease a VW at the current time. I would be a little nervous to own a VW after the warranty expires due to maintenance and mechanical failures.

In response to the recent Consumer Reports survey, VW Executives agreed that they have quality issues and stated that the new Jettas and Passats will be improved greatly. I sure hope so for VW's sake. If they don't reel in these issues they will be where they were in the early 90's.
  • Options
    Any suggestion as to adding a CD changer or player to a 02 Beetle. I know Crutchfield has a compatible changer for about $270. How's the sound on this unit? Any suggestions of other options.
  • Options
    rwoodsrwoods Member Posts: 129
    I owned a '69 VW Beetle and was wondering what the horsepower was on that car? Anyone remember?
  • Options
    The production of the old version VW Beetle in Puebla Mexico ended on 30 July 2003. The specs on that model with a 1600 cc engine were:

Horsepower: 45

Acceleration (0 to 100km/h or 62 MPH): 27.2 sec

Top speed: 124km/h or 77 MPH
  • Options
    Thank you very much p100! You mention the 1.6 liter engine getting only 45hp. My 1500cc engine probably got even less. About ten years ago I was in Mexico and decided to recapture my youth by renting a Beetle. Wow was I surprised how poorly it performed. No A/C, noisy, underpowered etc. Unfortunately it destroyed my recollection of the car of my youth. But I am so pleased with the new version of the Beetle with all the modern conveniences. I expect to purchase one soon.

Bob
  • Options
    But I am so pleased with the new version of the Beetle with all the modern conveniences. I expect to purchase one soon... After reading the posts on this site? I suggest you look at myvwlemon.com and read some more. I liked the new little bug for just over 20K and then things started failing right and left ... With Consumer Reports listing the New Beetle as a "car to avoid" your expectations seem to be a deep desire to see the car living mostly in the service department.
  • Options
    Genee,

I may lose my nerve after reading the posts as you say. I have an Audi A4 now and it scares me whenever I start it up. So many lights have gone on and forced me back to the dealer. And the dealer never has any parts. They always have to order them. I thought perhaps the beetle might be less complex and therefore more reliable. But alas it seems like the problem is in VW's genes.

Bob
  • Options
    daisychikdaisychik Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

I have a 2000 New Beetle 1.8 Turbo, and am having trouble with the EPC brake light coming on. The dealership told me that that had happened to almost every New Beetle, and that it had been recalled. I am going today to have it repaired. Because I am the second owner and it is over 2 years old and more than 24,000 miles, it won't be paid for by VW. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, after having it repaired, did it stop? I have only had this car since September, and have had the battery die, the EPC thing going on, the brake line broke...I almost over it! And to think this was my dream car... :(

Thanks!
  • Options
    If VW recalled this model then the repair should be covered by VW.
  • Options
    daisychikdaisychik Member Posts: 2
    Thanks...they covered it and get this...it had already been replaced not even 10,000 miles ago! They have a warranty for it up to 12,000.
  • Options
    reesareesa Member Posts: 1
    My Beetle was bought Oct 2003 new. But almost form the beginning I get a little skip when I am starting out. Not every time maybe every 10th time or less. I have rported it. They have checked it and nothing. I have even been told that that is the regular way a Volkswagen transmission does. Other than that my little Bug is great. I love it. Especially the gas mileage I get. Does anyone else have that little skip?? Is it normal.??