Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• Options
    rthammerrthammer Member Posts: 8
    in response to texastb: I had wind noise on the drivers side only. It was caused by the rubber molding around the glass (at the rear of the glass) not fitting properly. Try putting electrical tape on the molding and the glass to hold the molding down. A short test drive will let you know if this is the problem. My dealer replaced the molding and all is well.

good luck
    Rondal

ps Love my TB
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Folks...today's events are horrendous, and we probably haven't heard the last of it. My prayers for the safety of you, your loved ones, and for us all.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    racoonlodgeracoonlodge Member Posts: 34
    Amen Karen...
    and we think we have problems (with our triplets)
    God bless America & Its people!
  • Options
    texastbtexastb Member Posts: 3
    I started my TrailBlazer the other morning & all the needles on the gauges stayed all the way to the left, I couldn't tell if I was in Park, drive, reverse, etc., the speedometer wasn't working either. I turned off the motor & went inside to tell my husband. He said to drive on to work & call the dealership when they opened. I took the TB in and they said that any TB made in June needed to be reprogramed. So the dealership sent off for the software to do this. In the meantime the service mgr told me if it happened again to turn the key on and off 3 times and this would reset the computer, until the software comes in. My question to Chevrolet, were they going to send out a recall notice to anyone????
    Just wondering...
    Sherry
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    My 3 month old, 2166 mile TB left me stranded and required a tow. Diagnosis: dropped cylinder sleeve. Required remedy: New engine. Has anyone else had this happen. I have been told by Cust. Service at Chevy it is the first time they heard of problem. Dealer says problem was wide spread before Aug 31. Chevy will not buy back the vehicle and provide a new one. If this is a design defect, what options do we have?
  • Options
    dketchamdketcham Member Posts: 13
    We bought our Trailblazer LT in June and now have 5000 miles on it. We love it but ran into a problem last week, and hope that another owner can give us some guidance. Our TB suddenly developed a high-pitched squeal somewhere in the front right portion of the car. It doesn't seem to be a wind-related noise and occurs only when the car is warmed up and speed exceeds 25 mph. As soon as we drop below that speed, the squeal stops. Had the dealer ride along today and he couldn't pinpoint the cause. He said it sounded somewhat like a wheel bearing or brake, but since applying the brakes and putting a load on the bearing didn't cause a change in the sound, he doesn't think that's it. It isn't in the roof area, and not in the windshield or sunroof. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd appreciate the benefit of your wisdom. I have an appointment to leave it at the dealer's next week, but maybe someone can help diagnose this before I lose the use of it for several days.
  • Options
    jabarretojabarreto Member Posts: 2
    I just got the Trailblazer LT in Majestic Red. I love the pickup the engine has, but there are two problems. The first is that the gas mileage is horrible. I have 700 miles on it and getting 13 mi. per gallon. The next thing is that the front bumper is too damn loose! Let me know if anyone has had this problem.
  • Options
    rwalton1rwalton1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Tb LS 4WD, so far i am very happy with it , but of course it is to soon to realy find out, I have already notice one problem, Paint seem to be chipping off around the rear plastic license holder, is anyone else having this problem, being I just purchased the vehicle saturday (4 days ago) its to early to chekc out the quality.
  • Options
    agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    rwalton, check out the following forum (also under the Chevrolet Trailblazer Owners heading:

MY2002+ Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada(SUVs Board)

There are a few of us there that have posted about this exact paint problem. I'll summarize my experience so that you don't have to read all 2000+ posts:

The reason the paint chips is maybe due to expansion/contraction or vibration at the license plate assembly. The sharp edge of the plastic seems to dig in to the paint at that groove and chip the paint off.

I noticed my paint chipping at the license plate assembly shortly after taking delivery of my truck... I took it in, the dealer's body shop said they wanted to dissassemble the whole liftgate and repaint. I don't feel good about them doing that, so I contacted Chevrolet about the issue (1-800 off their website)... the person there said she would research the problem and get back to me (she hasn't yet)... meanwhile, the paint chips seem to be only paint and not primer, so I'm not worried about rusting while waiting on a fix.

Others in the above message board have posted about their paint chips, one person even indicated that EVERY new TB on the dealer's lot had the paint chipping at the same spot. Some feel that repainting would be a waste of time, since the chipping would only come back. We feel that there may be a redesigned part issued to replace the current license plate assembly, or at least a rubber gasket designed to prevent the rubbing that chips the paint.

Take your truck to the dealer to report the problem, or call Chevrolet... I would recommend calling Chevrolet, since the dealer seems to not report these types of problems.

Congrats on the new purchase. I've had my TB for 2 months. So far so good. I think you'll like it in spite of this paint thing.
  • Options
    bgosbgos Member Posts: 1
    Did anybody find out why the inside fender well were not fastened to the body of the truck. Have owned the 2002 TB LT for one week love it so far but was curious to this and why the front bumper is loose? Also does anyone recommend have rust protection applied.
  • Options
    silverkingsilverking Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my TB LS on 11/03. I went over it with a fine tooth comb. There wasn't a chip on it any were. Here it is 6 days later and there is two on the front bumper and it hasn't been on anything but streets in the plat. This TB is white. Just maybe (We got a problem "Huston".)
    Aside that, no problems! I got the LS because this one is going OFF ROAD and I don't need all the stuff in the next step up. I am looking for Brush guards, front and back. I know its new, but does anyone have accessories for TB yet ? Bob :o)
  • Options
    dankirkdankirk Member Posts: 19
    I recently purchased a new Trailblazer, and I love it! No problems so far (knock on wood...). Ours is a White LS. We chose the LS because I like the body color side moldings and bumpers, and did not need the On-Star service. The only thing that I wish it had is remote keyless entry, but it shouldn't be a problem to add. I am going to remove the rear emblems (because it looks good on Tim's), upgrade the exhaust system with a cool looking tip, add fog lights, and look into some trick wheels. I'll post some pics when it's done.
  • Options
    cindyl1cindyl1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2002 LS 2WD TB with a Group 3 equipment package 11 days ago and so far it's been great. I had 150K miles on a 1993 Ford Explorer that ran great but I didn't want to get another Explorer. After comparing the TB against the Explorer, there was no competition! The engine, the ride, and the look was all better in the TB. I paid $25,125 for it but had to have a local dealer find it for me. There are few LS's on the lots in Nashville and none with group 3 equipment. My air bag light did come on 4 days after I bought it but went off after an hour.It hasn't come back on again. I haven't had any problems yet and really enjoy driving it!
  • Options
    deenerdeener Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!! Just bought a 2002 LS and love it. One thing I noticed though...after driving 6 hours yesterday, there was a lot of heat coming from the radio and the buttons were very hot! Anyone else have this experience? Can someone tell me how to report it to GM? Thanks!!
  • Options
    syn3rgysyn3rgy Member Posts: 2
    deener, I recently purchased an '02 TB LTZ. I did not get the premium sound package, only because i plan on having my own sounds system installed. But I have also noticed the extreme heat coming from my radio area. Even though the stereo/cd player were being used the whole time, it doesn't seem like it should produce such heat. I was a bit concerned.
  • Options
    syn3rgysyn3rgy Member Posts: 2
    I was driving both my TB and my mothers Bravada both fully loaded and what I thought was the exact same suv. Her's seems to handle a bit better and also has a bit more torque. I also realized she has the air suspension in the rear, and that the TB does not. I was a bit jealous... no biggie i guess. I will be visiting the service center monday for them to service the few problems I encountered. A slightly squeaky steering wheel, a bloch of clearcoat on the driver door, and moisture in the fog light. Nothing serious...so overall I rate my purchase very highly. Anybody else experience the squeaky wheel?!
  • Options
    sactokensactoken Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post on this board...I appreciate it!

I would like to check an observation with you: it seems that GM has loaded every dealer in CA with Avalanches and shorted them with any of the Triplets. Any one got an idea as to why?

My thought was that GM slowed down production to get time to solve problems and defects...at least it was a passing thought. But if so, then I don't want to be in any big hurry to buy. Comments?

My presumption is that most of the early problems posted here have been solved by GM and would like to hear from you folks who purchased months ago. Have the problems been resolved, and do you think newer production vehicles reflect this? Or do you suggest waiting another six months? (I've got the "fever" now...but don't have to buy.)

Also, when supply is scarce it is harder to get a good deal. Even Edmunds is suggesting I pay about $1,000 over invoice, and I wouldn't do that on a Honda or other allegedly tough market car. It should be a buyer's market today, but I feel reluctant to deal on a car that the dealer only has a few of on his lot. How close to invoice are you coming?

And finally, I'm in Northern CA and everyone but me wants 4WD. I don't need it and don't want to pay extra for an unwanted feature and insurance. It seems that since I'm buying an unpopular feature (in my locale) I should get even closer to invoice than if I was buying 4WD. Has anyone thought this or had negotiation experience in this regard.

I am willing to buy on-line or direct from a dealer...on-line has worked well for me before even though I prefer to support a local business.

Again, thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    I stopped in after work at my Chevy dealer three weeks ago to get an oil change and service for my Silverado pickup truck. Since I didn't have an appointment I had to wait. So I went into the sales room and checked out the new offerings. While sitting in the Trailblazer the sales manager asked me if I was interested. My retort was to ask what kind of deal he had. It turned out they had 4 identical majestic red LTZs they were willing to sell me for $31,800. Edmund's MSRP says it is a $36,110 vehicle and the invoice is $32,667. The window sticker had it listed at $35,875. I knew this in advance because I had been checking Envoys and Trailblazer prices online and recognized an interesting offer.

I got almost what I expected for my Silverado in a trade in. At the most optimistic appraisal I could find I was about $750 off of expectations which still netted me a few bucks under invoice. I took the 0% financing to finish the deal. I also selected the Trailblazer they were using for demo rides since I could put it through its paces, check out wind noise, vibrations and other things that have been complained about here in Edmunds.

After agreeing to the deal I did a by the way and refused to pay the service bill on the Silverado since I considered it was now done for their benefit. They swallowed that. 2-3/4 hours later I was driving out with my new Trailblazer.

I had been doing my homework but really wasn't planning to buy until next spring. I test drove an Envoy and Yukon and was still debating between an Envoy (for looks) and possibly a Tahoe since it was so similar to my Silverado. I liked my Silverado but it was no longer the most convenient vehicle for my needs. As it turned out a Tahoe probably was also more than I needed and the Trailblazer isn't that much smaller. The TB isn't that small but it sure feels like a small vehicle after driving a full size pickup.
  • Options
    benjix4benjix4 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2002 TB LT with all the trimmings May 2001. It is Pewter Metallic with the premium interior. I installed stainless steel tubalar running boards and the rainsheilds and hood protector were painted to match. If anyone has this color it is worth it. I had a whistling problem from the front passenger wheel. Has anyone heard this?? Seemed to have dissipated. I have a little paint erosion on the AC and rear defroster controls. I will call the dealer on those. Is anyone getting over 20 MPG? I seem to get 17-19 consistently. Were happy with the purchase. Does wonderful in snow and ice.
  • Options
    benjix4benjix4 Member Posts: 2
    dketcham- I have the same problem. The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. I haven't hear it in a week. Let me know how yours is doing.
  • Options
    came01came01 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer. When you set the remote control mirrors and backup they do not go back to the previous setting about 8 out of 10 times. I am following the correct procedure to save the settings. This is happening with both my key and my wifes. Anyone else having this issue?
  • Options
    jabarretojabarreto Member Posts: 2
    I have the Trailblazer LT with 2900 miles. I am now averaging 13 to 14 miles per gallon! This seems way to low for a V-6. Anyone else in the same situation? Thanks. I spoke to a customer service rep from GM who responded to my survey. I was told that there were MANY complaints about the front bumper being loose, and that they will look at that with their design team for 2003. No luck for 2002.
  • Options
    bettingerbettinger Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone

I just got my new TB for Christmas! I picked it up the day after and the experience couldn't be more painless. I paid exactly $25K but can't remember the sticker price. I thought I got a good deal also because the dealership was so nice. I didn't trade-in my 95 Nissan Sentra but did leave a $3K down payment. I also got the 0% intrest for 36 mo. so I think we did ok.

I was just a bit surprised at the increase in my insurance premium.

I love my new car!
  • Options
    tmo2tbgtmo2tbg Member Posts: 1
    I have also had this squealing noise coming from the front wheel(s). It doesn't show up until the car has been warmed up and it doesn't matter what speed your going. I have an appointment to bring it in the next few days, I will let you know what the service techs come up with.
  • Options
    dketchamdketcham Member Posts: 13
    benjix4 - I had the front right axle seal replaced by my dealer almost two months and 1000 miles ago, and the squeal hasn't reappeared since then. Hopefully this has corrected the problem. Don't know if warmer weather or any other conditions will cause it to reoccur, but it seems fixed for now.
  • Options
    North American Truck of the Year

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    97owner97owner Member Posts: 1
    I have a pair of factory running boards I ordered from the dealer that I don't need anymore due to a switch in LTZ's. My first was taken back by the dealer due to problems and replaced with an LTZ with the boards installed. I would be willing to part with them for a reduced price.
  • Options
    perezlperezl Member Posts: 10
    Email me at:

perezl@ugs.com

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    leihua5264leihua5264 Member Posts: 11
    Regarding your gas mileage, when I first purchased my 2002TB I was averaging about 19-22 MPG. Right after Thanksgiving I noticed I was getting less then 200 miles to a tank of gas. the week before Christmas I gas mileage was getting worse, on my way down to the Chevy dealer which is 38 miles away, I used a HALF a tank of gas.

The Chevy Dealer replaced the Cam Solenoid Valve and re programmed PCM per Admin Message VSS20010154

Part Number - 12568078
    Description - Valve 0.296

This information was taken from my invoice after it was fixed.

I now get an average of 22mpg.

As for your Mirrors it's called Roaming Mirrors, I already had my passenger side fixed, now I have to take it in for both sides. Yes it can drive you crazy... Other then that I love my TB.....

Hope this information helps
  • Options
    jenschevyjenschevy Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 4wd Trailblazer LT, which has been giving me problems almost from day one. There is a strange abnormal vibration that occurs within the car around 57-63MPH. It feels as if you are driving over grooved pavement. I have tried to have it fixed but GM does not currently have a solution for this problem. In addition, does anyone else that lives in a cold weather climate have trouble getting your car going in the morning. My Trailblazer has nearly stalled out 5-6 times as it chugged forward before it finally caught. If anyone has any info on these issues or solutions, please let me know as this has been an ongoing headache!
  • Options
    racedogracedog Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at (and almost bought) a 4.7 L Durango for towing my rx-7 on an open trailer. Didn't know about the triplets 'till just the other day. Glad I checked Chevy.com! Drove one today and I think it will do just fine. My racecar/trailer combo weighs around 4800 lbs and will have to be towed through the mountains of Pennsylvania. Does anybody tow with an Envoy or TB with a load like that? Also, would I have to replace the factory hitch with a frame mounted hitch? From what I saw today, I like the TB & Envoy a lot better than the Durango. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    jbassocjbassoc Member Posts: 7
    Anyone similar findings.
    1.When cold-sometimes hear knock similar to rod knock.- lasts about 20 seconds then dies away

2.Dash lights went out. had to remove and replace fuse #24 to get them to work again

3.At 1200 rpm in park have engine shake

4.Engine heats up to 175 degrees driving only 700 feet from a cold 40 degree start.

5. Bolt in center of damper moves back and forth about 1/4 inch. bent??

Anyone know which bulletin board has the 'GM Insider' answer questions?
  • Options
    Jen,

I had to get my money back on my 2001 Blazer because of that issue. While it may not be a big deal to some people, I felt it should not happen in a 34,000 dollar car. I found that all the 4wheel drives do this. I had to go to a 2wheel drive to get rid of it.

I assumed that the 4wheel drive units are the same
    in the Trailblazer that were in the 2001 Blazer. I did not consider a 2002 Trailblazer 4wheel drive. I purchased a 2002 Trailblazer 2wheel drive. But this is just me. It may not be what is going on in your car.

Larry
  • Options
    thehamtheham Member Posts: 20
    I bought a LTZ 4wd Trailblazer in Nov 2001. Following is my opinion and problems. I now have 3000 miles on it.

I have had the car into the shop now 2 times and have just scheduled a third visit for next week. My problems started with my rear windshield wiper fluid not coming out. My car would also stall in the morning. I keep my car in a garage all night and live in seattle so it is not extremely cold, around 40 degrees in the morning. I start my car in the garage drive for about 1 mile. Then stop at the same light everymoring. About once a week the car would stall all electric components and lights would power down and the engine would clunk down. But the car doesn't die. After a few seconds it will pick up again to normal. So I got those fixed(supposedly)

The next visit was for the mirror position recall problem I have heard others complain about. Basically the mirrors dont return to their preset position on recall every time you get in the car. They were sporatic. I took it into the dealer and they said the mirror motors had burntout components. So that was fixed and works great now.

My next visit is for the stall problem again. I guess wasn't fixed very well. The dealer said it was due to a recall for reprogramming. I guess not and we shall see.

Has anyone else had the stall problem?
  • Options
    vindog45vindog45 Member Posts: 35
    what are the differences in the three?..was gonna buy gmc...........now changing mind want tb ltz
  • Options
    came01came01 Member Posts: 2
    My wife's Trailblazer has had both Cam Solenoid Valves replaced and the Computer Module. GM tech support now says it is a design issue with the Computer Module and they are waiting for engineering to come up with a new design
  • Options
    Please read posting # 81 hopefully that will help you, I just had my roaming mirrors re placed for the second time works great for now.
  • Options
    When your engine starts acting up again, likes it going to die on you, press your "on star button" and have them do an engine diagnostic check and they can tell you what the problem is right away.

I know no matter how many different problems I have w/my 2002 TB, I still love my TB.

Hope this info helps.
  • Options
    billswifebillswife Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else having problems with their 2002 Trailerblazer not starting after it sits over a weekend. The first time it happened, I had trouble starting it but it finally kicked in but I had to reset the clock. Took in it and they couldn't find anything. 2 Weeks later, I had to have Chevy tow it and again they don't know why the battery went dead and they couldn't find a draw on it. Also have the whistling sound which they tell me is a seal for the front wheel but is on backorder. Otherwise me and Casey love it.
  • Options
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    See post #13. Hope this helps.

Larry
  • Options
    barlowstevebarlowsteve Member Posts: 3
    ref # 49 I have a problem with trans in my trailblazer when i back out of driveway and then shift to drive if I try to take off too fast engine rpms go up and then trans bangs into gear. Are you haveing this problem.let me know I have been to dealer A few times for this
  • Options
    damonmdamonm Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, just figured I would intro myself. I have a 2002 Trailblazer LT (loaded) with in addition to. DVD/MP3/VCD Player, VCR, Televison, Dreamcast, Playstation, Laptop modded, TV monitor, BOSE system, XM radio, Builtin radar detector ,Billet Grille, K/N filter, bug sheild, and Ventshades. I am in the works as we speak in making a Cold Air Induction Box for the K/N cone filter which should give it about 5-8 more hp.
  • Options
    matt27606matt27606 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to ask you where you purchased your billet grill and if it required drilling for the install. If you have the link I would be very greatful. My LT Trailblazer should be here at the end of May, and I am already searching for MODs. If and one has spoken to QLogic or any speaker box maker like them, please respond. I would like to place a "hidden" solobaric 10" sub in the back of the TB, but have not been able to find a company that has created one for the new model as of yet.
  • Options
    rialborialbo Member Posts: 2
    Trailblazer LTZ with Premium Sound (non-Bose) - Does anyone know of a way to re-program the factory pre-set selections (Bass/Mid/High) which come active for stations selected by the program type or genre ?

I've set the Custom EQ setting for my favorite pushbutton stations but would like to alter the factory pre-sets for scanned stations to my ears, not theirs.

Thank you,

rialbo
  • Options
    dct2002dct2002 Member Posts: 1
    A power steering fluid leak resulted in a steering rack replacement with only 9000 miles. Other than that the Trailblazer has been great. The driver seat is not as comfortable as I would like but I can live with it. It pulls my 20 foot boat with ease. It is truly a powerful SUV.
  • Options
    asst268asst268 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Trailblazer has had the power steering unit replaced, clutch fan, ignition, main fuse assembly and tie-rod. It's been in 5 times for electrical problems after I replaced battery at 6,000 miles (I was stuck while camping). This weekend the new battery was dead twice. Going back in Monday, 6/3.........HELP
  • Options
    m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    Purchased LT loaded, added rear and front light covers, bypassed Air intake sensor and planning on K&N, added brake light cover also. Love the truck, had a couple set backs.
    1. W/7k on it, 3rd piston cover blew, had to get new engine.
    2. wind noise over 50mph from the driver door not properly aligned. Off, by a mm or smaller, but still get the noise.

All in all I love the truck, glad I bought it.

Ice
  • Options
    dferry2dferry2 Member Posts: 1
    This is in response to message #60 and #63 concerning the paint chipping around the license plate.
    I purchased my TB in Sept. 2001. I immediately notified the dealer of the paint problem. EVERY TB on their lot had the exact same problem. According to the dealership, they had contacted Chevrolet and was waiting on a response. 9 months later I found out that they had never contacted Chevrolet. So I've contacted Chevrolet serveral times. No answer as of yet.
    If you happen to be on a Chevrolet lot, take a look at the new TB. The new models all have a seal that goes around the license plate panel. Obviously, Chevrolet knows they have a problem. The customer service department supposedly did not know that the new models have this new seal installed. I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Chevrolet in the fact that they have not issued a recall for this problem.
    I would venture to say that anyone who closely looks at their vehicle will be able to see that they have paint chipping around the license plate. I've also noticed paint chipping on the hood, around the doors and on different places over the vehicle.
    For $32K I expected much better.
  • Options
    dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    License plate tailgate fix is not 100% cure. I'm sure all of you know about he fix for the platic housing where they install the rubber gasket. Anyways this fix is not completely reliable. I've had the fix for about two months without problem, but this weekend I went up to Tahoe for the weekend. When I got home to unload my gear I noticed the rubber gasket was totally warped. Part of it was underneath the housing. The rest of it was all curled up like it was melted or something. I'm pretty cheesed offf about this as I was hoping this would fix the tailgate problem. I cant imagine it was the heat that did it as its been much warmer at home these past few months then it was in Tahoe. I wonder if the altituf=de had anything to do with it. Anyways I suggest everyone keep an eye out for theirs in case anything pops its head up. I guess I gotta go back to the dealer this week and get a new gasket put in. Damn tis problem is really cheesing me off.