Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    may, one hopes, at least last a long time, except for the ride quality, of course, which doesn't bother me. Now, that's only my personal opinion. My dealer delivered my '04 FWD Rondy with the tires at 26 lbs. pressure, which is, of course, 10 lbs under the recommended 36 lbs. The car rode soft as an old Roadmaster, complete with unacceptable squealing in most turns. Putting 36 lbs. stopped the squealing, gained me an additional 2 -3 MPG, and increased tire whine on smooth roads with much more bouncing on rough streets. I'd love to know what tires will give a smoother ride with good handling AND long life, even if Buick will pay for them.
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Gail:

I would definitely take the advice of the service manager ... and decrease the air pressure as recommended (or have them do it). Then, try it out, and see if your ride and handling improves (or gets worse). That way, at least you're trying to work with Buick to see if you can resolve this. I would try the lower pressures for a week or so -- and give it a good test. However, if, after doing so, you're still not happy with the ride, stability, handling, etc. , DO NOT HESITATE to go to the next customer service step as set forth in your manual. Remember, Buick wants to keep you satisfied and in this vehicle (and avoid any lemon law claims). Good luck!
  • Options
    Gail:

Take it into the dealer ASAP (e.g., today!) -- brakes squealing really loudly is NOT normal. Have them inspect your brakes -- they can lower your air pressure on the tires while they're at it! Start a file and keep records of all visits, repairs and complaints that you make. Good luck!
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Has the car been completely realigned at Buick expense? Sounds like that could be a factor.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    rivet1rivet1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 rendezvous also and just found out that i have to replace my harness due to corrosion. Maybe this should be a recall... This is totally costly and unreasonable. My car also only has approximately 25,000 when purchased.
  • Options
    uaw239gmuaw239gm Member Posts: 17
    I also had the squealing brake problem which started after about 1500 miles and was also told it was normal breakin.......I went berserk in dealers waiting room and said I didn't buy a $38,000.00 vehicle to listen to squealing brakes.....they replaced them only to have the same thing happen after about another 1500 miles. The deal put some kind of dressing on them and it's been pretty good except when it gets cold they seem to act up. This will be my last GM vehicle ....... 3 GM lemons in a row 2000 Intrigue, 2001 Intrigue, 2003 Rendezvous. I believe Gm does this on purpose to get you to trade in the "lemon" at a substantial loss and buy another "lemon". I have done the BBB arbitration with the 2000 Intrigue and got awarded a replacement lemon after having to pay a $4600.00 usage fee on a 9 month old vehicle. For those lucky enough to have gotten a "good" Rnv, I hate to say that you are a minority. Everyone I know personally has had major problems..I just wished I had talked to them before buying!
  • Options
    mnyhats1mnyhats1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi jk27 and Regalluvr:

Mnyhats here! As I last reported, I had heard from GM and they assured me they would refund my money for the repair work done at the dealership for the wheel bearing issue. That was June 3rd. Last night I received a call and they apologized and said my request had 'fallen between the cracks' but I was indeed getting a refund of $457. It would take 4-6 weeks but who cares? It worked! They also explained that the Buick Customer Assistance rep that promised me originally (and then it was denied) has moved on to another area! I'm sure!!! At any rate, I'm happy and will give GM another chance because I still absolutely love my RDV. For those of you who haven't read my history, I have a 2002 RDV CX with 70,000+ miles. Cross my fingers, had no other problems and in spite of wheel bearing problems, did get 66,000 on original tires.

Going through the normal channels didn't work. I had to contact a friend in higher places and he was able to get a district rep to call me. That's where the success came from. He called himself "The Fixer." Great guy!

Good luck and thanks again to both of you for your information and encouragement!

mnyhats :):D :shades: :surprise:
  • Options
    gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your thoughts on the squeeking brakes. When I got to "visit" the dealer next week, I will mention those and the drivers window scratching as it slides up and down..it only has 3K on it. Have had it just 1.5 months...I know it won't be around too long!!! :O)
  • Options
    Hi imidaz,

Car's brand new.
  • Options
    Jk,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will plan to drive on it to the dealers Monday & will keep you and the other friends of the forum updated so I may be of help to someone else having this problem.
  • Options
    regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    mnyhats,
    I'm sure glad to hear that things worked out for you.You've got to ride GM pretty hard these days to get anything out of them.They count on people just giving up and paying for all the repair work that should never have been needed in the first place if things had just been designed right by GM.

I'll argue with anyone that says wheel bearing and hub failure before 100,000 miles is perfectly acceptable and normal.People it just shouldnt happen in this day and age..I go to far more forums here at edmunds besides the Rendezvous ones.You rarely ever hear of premature wheel bearing failure except on the Buick RDV and Pontiac Aztek forums.
  • Options
    summer8summer8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Gail,

My 2003 started squealing at 20,000 miles...took it in 3 times and was told all was fine. Now that I am at 42,000 and past the warranty my front wheel bearings went bad and I was told by my mechanic that the squealing sound was the first sign of a problem. Make sure when you take it in they check the brakes and all wheel bearings! I am contacting my dealer tomorrow in hopes of some compensation, wish me luck and good luck to you!
  • Options
    mtdmtd Member Posts: 1
    What every happened with your Rendevous? My parents were just told that their '02 Rendevous, with 19K miles also no extended warranty, needed transmission work ($2900 worth).
  • Options
    summer8summer8 Member Posts: 2
    Oh yea, groaning is bad news have it checked right away. Just replaced my right wheel bearings at 42000 miles, back brakes are also bad including the rotor. Meeting with the service manager tomorrow morning. Hoping for compensation or at the very least giving me the left wheel bearing because I am sure that will go soon. This should've been recalled and shame on GM for not doing that!
  • Options
    penndapennda Member Posts: 2
    Do you have any more info on your parents '02 Rendv? Looks like I'm beginning to find a '02 transmission 'lemon' problem:

I have just experienced the same thing on my '02 Rend. - @ 63,000 complete failure, ground up mess, no 1st, 2nd or reverse gears. They just took tanny pan off - sounds like we'll find the same problem with the transfer assembly too.

I had NO early warning symptons of any kind... it just klunked. As a former auto mechanic instructor I ought to know symptoms - but nothing! At 60K miles - NO automatic tranny should havd a catastrophic failure like this. NASA sound familiar?

I need your help a little in fighting this with our dealer/and or Buick.... are there more cases out there about this premature failure? How did you get to this finding? And does GM or dealers know about this?

Mine IS a 'lemon' ... had complete 'sterring column lock up' at 20K miles and just finished donating $1500 for all new A/C system just 30 days ago.....

Your help would be greatly appreciated to carry the 'lemon crusade' on Rendv. to everyone .... and I can!

Thanks David Pennington
    Overland Park, KS
  • Options
    David,
    Sorry to hear about your lemon 2002 RDV.Believe me there are plenty of them out there.Do a search here or go thru every Buick RDV post since the beginning on edmunds and I think you will find several other RDV tranny and transfer case failures.Also do a web search with google or askjeeves and you will find several more.I think theres one or two tranny failures listed on the National Highway Safety site.Tranny failure hasnt been as big of a problem for the 2002 RDV's as BCM's,AC condensors,wheel bearings,intake gaskets,etc.

We were in Omaha at Reagen Buick in March 2003 looking at a very low mile 2002 CXL AWD and the dealership informed us that it was a GM buy back due to tranny failure and electrical problems.We should have quit looking at RDV's then but my wife insisted she had to have one so a month later we got one in OK City that turned out to be a lemon.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    jay14jay14 Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me where you got the above information regarding coverage for cars 4 year from date and less than 80,000km. I have just spoken to GM Customer relations and they indicate they know nothing about a problem with the condensers on the 2002 rdv. I spoke to the local dealership and they indicate they know nothing. I am trying to get as much information as possible so that they will cover this design problem.
  • Options
    jay14jay14 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me more information about how they were able to get GM to cover the cost of replacing a defective condernser. I have spoken to GM and the local Buick dealership and they indicate that they have never heard of such a problem. Please Help!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    penndapennda Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help... I'm not sure what the next steps are after that...
  • Options
    Jay,
    Go to the regular edmunds RDV forum and start reading at post #3955.This RDV owner was from Canada.

buickrdv02, "Buick Rendezvous" #3955, 9 Jun 2005 2:58 pm

Earlier this year I was at a large midwest Buick dealer and a salesman there said that the #1 problem for 2002 model RDV's sold there was failing AC condensors.Buick knows theres a condensor problem and theres a service bulletin about it.Your dealer sounds about like mine.No matter what the problem is they've never heard about it before.GM customer relations is lying if they say they know nothing about 2002 RDV AC condensor failure.

Just go back and read all the Buick RDV posts on edmunds and you will see that quite a few RDV owners that have lost an AC condensor.Print all these posts off and show your local Buick dealer.jk27 that posts on here got Buick to stand his AC condensor after it was out of factory warranty.

Do a google or askjeeves web search for Buick Rendezvous AC condensor failure.It will turn up more than just whats on edmunds.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ckinnyckinny Member Posts: 14
    I have posted my story here. I had an '02 RDV that was a nightmare and after a month without a car and fighting with Buick, the dealership, and GM I was "helped" into an '05 RDV which I hate.

Today I took the '05 to a non GM dealership to see about getting out of this nightmare and was SHOCKED at what I was offered for the trade in, $16,000.
    This is for a car that only has 2000 miles on it and that had a sticker price of $35,000.

Someone on here said they were offered $10,000 for their '02. I would take that and run!

Every car I have ever owned has been a GM car but after the way I was treated I have sworn that I will never buy a GM product again and I really wanted out of this car but $16,000 isn't going to cut it. I'm trying to resign myself that I'm stuck until I pay it off or win the lotto. :cry:
  • Options
    ckinny,
    Sad to say but RDV trade in values are pretty poor these days.We were very fortunate to find a Toyota dealer that would give us $4,000 more trade in than any other dealer would on our 2002 CXL.I dont know where you live but I could give you the name of this dealer.If it werent for them we'd still be stuck with our 2002 CXL but we would have bought an extended warranty for it.

Our local Ford dealer recently had a problem 2002 CX RDV traded in and its already gone..It visited our local Buick dealer quite often.We were recently in a large town 60 miles to the south and the Toyota dealer had a low mile 2002 CXL AWD on the lot and the Honda dealer had a low mile 2002 CXL AWD on their lot.I guess some are biting the bullet and getting rid of them.

I'm kind of like you.I've been loyal GM for almost 30 years and love my Buick Regals to death but I've probably bought my last GM product.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    pierrebpierreb Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I would like to share with you my experiences with a 2002 RDV CX that I purchased in July 2001. I took a risk knowing it was a new model with no reviews whatsoever.
    I have traded the RDV last night for something else and will miss some aspect of it.

Pros

-Nice gauges
    -Nice Radio/Sound
    -Visibility
    -Oil Life indicator
    -Low washer indicator
    -Space
    -Comfort
    -Ride
    -Price

Follows are problems experienced under warranty

-I had installed a remote car starter. Installer could not install has it keep blowing the remote start unit.

-Different installer, worked for a few months, then BAM, BCM failure. At the request of Dealer, remote starter was removed and BMC replaced.

-Asked the dealer if they had a recommended installer and asked the Service Guy if it’s safe for me to try the recommended installer. Followed his advice and a few months later, BAM, BMC failure.

-I have since then have it removed and gave up on the remote start..

Cons

-About once every six months, the Lock/Wrench indicator comes on. That means no power door/windows/radio. Shutting off the engine for a minute, it reset itself.

-Occasionally, shifting to park will not cause the door to auto unlock.

-Last week, shifting to park will not cause the door to auto unlock, the car radio indicated 12:00. The same day for no reason the car would not start. I always have a booster pack on hand and saved my but a few times. Since this episode, all is well.

Follows are items that I find unacceptable for the first three years in the life of a vehicle.

-Wind noise leak, front right door. I had it repair under warranty. Of course when the warranty expired I had to pay for body work because structurally the door hinge support had to be redone.

-Front well bearing replace about one a year? This is not a good thing. Under warranty

-Wiper controller, under warranty

-Water leak inside left real lens of brake light, it would fill up like a glass of water until the water reached the bulb and blow. I have silicone the thing and it appeared fixed.

-Last nigh, the car now has a fait whistle noise.

-Interior heat thermostat control. In order to ensure I have full heat, I must slowly turn the knob from Hot(right) slowly turn the knob towards the center until I hear a POP sound then I can put it back full right and get full heat.

-The first year, the heater/flan blower started to vibrate and I could feel it quite pronounced in the steering well. Under warranty.

-Had the replace my car battery after 3 years. This is not good.

-Interior Radio Clock loses time

-Horn location, visibility on steering well, makes it difficult, press hard.

-Front suspension single audible knock when vehicle starts moving. Out of warranty.

-Key ring Plastic Remote break. Used glue to re attached.

-Driver, lumbar knob keeps falling off.

Over all I am displeased with GM. My last three vehicles when GM and now moving to the other side. The fact that they are in financial difficulty does not inspire confidence either.
    :lemon:
  • Options
    mack2099mack2099 Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2003 Rendezvous cxl. The dealer offers free tires for life as long as you have dealer change oil/lube every 3,000 mi. and rotate tires every 6,000. This turns out to be more trouble than worth. We now have 44,000 mi and recently got new tires. The dealer did not want to provide as they said I was over on some oil changes and/or rotations (overage was negligible). I informed them that I was told emphatically by the salesman that as long as the oil change/rotation record was close to recommended mileage that it was no big deal and I felt that this was simply a sales gimmick and now they were trying to get out of it any way they could. Unless you have oil changed and tires rotated early (which is crazy because oil doesn't even need changing at 3,000 miles--all mechanics I know say up to 6,000 mi. is fine). Anyway, to make a long story shorter, after I told serv. mgr. that I was a reasonable person but I was extremely unhappy with this and would discuss it with the dealership owner/mgr. she finally asked if I would be happy with free tires if I paid for installation and balance ($48.). I told her that I would do that but I still wasn't happy. At this point we are staying close to schedule and will try it for next tires but that's it--after that we're going to Jiffy Lube!

However, my main concern is that every time I have the RDV in for service, they come out with something else (always expensive) that I really should take care of right away. At @ 38,000 miles, I was told that if I did not have the fuel line serviced I was in for major problems. They also said the transmission needed service to include flushing the transmission (the fluid was "brackish" and it should be "cherry red." Both of these come to @$500. I did have the fuel line service done (now I wish I had not) for $250 and said I would hold off on the transmission service. Today I was in for service and was reminded I still need transmission service and need new air filters (one he said was cleaning air inside the vehicle). At this rate, Maintenance costs will overtake the cost of a major engine or transmission repair soon. If fuel line and transmission service are required every 40,000 miles, I'd be better off to take my chances of a major problem later!!?? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    You didn't think those tires really were "free" did you? You pay for them with all the extra service.

I would have the engine air filter changed. Just changed mine on 3800 engine at 30K. I would have the trans fluid changed with a new filter by dropping the pan. I would have the cabin air filter changed. Those filters you can do yourself. I recommend Purolator filters from PepBoys or Advance Auto, etc.

I'd forget their tires and buy my own from a Michelin dealer or whatever you prefer when you need the next set. You'll probably save money.

• Options
    gmlemongmlemon Member Posts: 1
    I used to love my rendezvous, and we bough gmc because we like to buy domestic...but no more....
    Here are the problems so far with my 2002 rendezvous...
    both front wheel bearings, leaking gasket, bubbling paint on hood, wind noise on drivers side door, ac condenser gone, brakes gone, electrical system sometimes locks up, needed to flush transmission....all this and i'm still paying for the car too! Has anyone had any success getting gm to do anything about the crap they are selling?
    Jan
  • Options
    mbrtonymbrtony Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2002 RDV with ~64k miles. When did you talk with Buick, after the repair was completed or before it was completed? I can see from reviewing these boards all day that I'm in for a fight with my dealership who denied any knowledge of an A/C problem when I called anonymously at which point I decided to do some research before scheduling an appointment. Thanks.

Tony
  • Options
    uaw239gmuaw239gm Member Posts: 17
    For those of you who have posted the information on the BBB autoline, you haven't been listening to most of the victims here. That resource is limited to 15 months and/or less that 15,000 miles. Most people are stalled by the dealership with problems until after the warrantee peroid of 36,000 miles/ 3 years. Also the arbitration process is not really a winning solution since GM bases the life of the vehile at 100,000 miles and you are prorated on usage fees at the time of arbitration. On a 2000 Olds Intrigue of less than 1 year I had to pay $4600.00 in usage fees just to be awarded a replacement lemon. Problems with my Rendezvous (I know 2 other people with similar problems)....transmission failure, wheel bearings, window regulators, brakes, heating/ac problems, just too many too remember. Everyone here should go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and click on "Here's How To File a Complaint About Your Vehicle Right Now", have your vin# and mileage handy. Maybe we as a group can get something done!!! MAD IN MARYLAND
  • Options
    uaw239gm:

Your statement about the BBB autoline only looking at cases of 15,000 miles/15 months is not accurate.

Quote from BBB Autoline Website: "A claim seeking repairs or reimbursement for past repairs must be received by BBB AUTO LINE before the expiration of the General Motors Bumper-to-Bumper new vehicle warranty. A claim seeking repurchase or replacement must be received by BBB AUTO LINE within two years or 24,000 miles – whichever comes first – from the date the vehicle was first put into use." And, BBB Autoline also has "jurisdiction" (if you will) over the applicable time period of your state's lemon law (which varies from state to state). So, it really depends on your state's lemon law, and the type of claim you want to make. Link to Autoline details for GM: http://www.dr.bbb.org/autoline/gm/US.html Looks to me like BBB Auto Line has "jurisdiction" for three years/36,000 miles, two years/24,000 miles AND whatever the statute of limitations is that is set forth in your state's lemon law (depending on what you are seeking).

Good idea about going to NHTSA to file a complaint. However, please note that NHTSA will only look into "safety-related" complaints.
  • Options
    Hi Summer8,

Wondering how you made out on the squeeky wheel/brake issues. I haven't made it to dealers this week being the holiday week, service manager not in. Will go next week. I also hear a "thumping" now when I turn the wheels hard to enter pkg space etc. This is an 04 with just 3000 miles on it right now. I noticed someone on the boards had tried to trade in their car w/2000 miles on it and was offered 16K. I hear ya! The same thing is going on with me, right now. No one wants it, although they love the style of it. Dealers offered me 16K for it as well, and again, it does list over $30K. I hope you got your situation taken care of. Please let me know. Good luck. gail
  • Options
    dks3dks3 Member Posts: 1
    1 comment previous e-mailers are right don't think about buying this card without the extended warranty. In the last year I've replaced the air conditioner condenser $800.00, the anti theft sensor $766.00, the front right wheels speed sensor $366.00 and tomorrow will be picing it up from AAMCO where the transmission is beig overhauled estimated total $3100.00. I too have called GM, I'm not sure what they can or will do. But this is a ton of money for a car that I still have a year to pay on.
  • Options
    tey463tey463 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this same problem with my 02 Rendezvous CXL AWD. If you run it a while, shut it down and then try to start it back up within a few minutes, it sometimes doesn't want to start. The first time it happened I had it towed to the dealership and ofcourse they couldn't find a problem. They said possibly something to do with the security system. It has happened 3 times since and I've only had the vehicle a year. It's very frustrating being afraid to shut your vehicle down to get gas or run into a store etc. I have contacted Buick and am waiting for a response. (Probably wont help). If anyone finds out what the problem is, please post it.
    Thanks
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    We have this 'HOT START" thing happen with our Pontiac version also. I haven't heard of any official fix for it. When it doesn't start the first time, just hold it in start position a little longer and it should fire up ,
  • Options
    ckinnyckinny Member Posts: 14
    This is how the problems with my '02 RDV started. Then it turned itself off WHILE I WAS DRIVING IT. It happened to a mechanic while he had it out for a test drive and they never figured out what it was. But they didn't think it was a safety issue and I had to fight with them for weeks. They "helped" me into an '05 which I hate and isn't a car I would have chosen. This is why after having GM products all my life I WILL NEVER BUY A GM CAR AGAIN!

Don't give in and don't wait. They are in no hurry to help you. You have to be persistent. Call customer service and get someone assigned to your case. Make them give you a time when they will call you back. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! If they don't call you when they say call them and let them know they let you down. Keep asking for someone higher up. Your ultimate goal is to talk to the illusive "zone manager". He has all the power but doesn't have time to talk to a lowly customer. Start asking for his name and tell them you know that this has happened with other '02 RDVs. Go to the NHTSA web site and search you'll find cases you can quote to them. They won't like it. DO NOT BACK DOWN.

Part of the reason GM is in such financial problems is because of how they treat customers.
  • Options
    ehlers1ehlers1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where I can find the blower motor resistor? My fan speeds 1-4 do not work but I still have #5 speed. I was told the culprit was the blower motor resistor
  • Options
    chrisrapplchrisrappl Member Posts: 6
    I've read most of the postings and wonder if anyone has any insight into this problem. The vehicle is a 2003 RDV CXL AWD with 12,000 miles. On 7/13/05 and 7/15/05 the vehicle failed to start. Both times the following occurred:
    After re-fueling, the engine started, then stumbled roughly and stalled.
    After stalling, repeated attempts to start failed. (10 to 15 attempts over 25 minutes)
    After 25 minutes the engine started and ran fine.
  • Options
    gratergrater Member Posts: 1
    Add me to those with a A/C compressor (cost me 200 due to extended warranty coverage) and rear wiper motor (warranty covered repair) replacement on a 2002 RDV CX. I might have an intake gasket leak or something else as I have some drops on the driveway and it seams to be burning some oil. The intake gasket issue is not just limited to Rendezvous. My 96 Chevy S-10 has just had this replaced although it made it to 100K miles. The majority of my problems with that truck have been the coolant system. My mechanic says there seems to be a problem with the DEX COOL. I would change the fluid more frequently than recommended.

However, today I was replacing the front disk brake pads (58K) due to some brake noises. When I pulled the pads off of the front passenger side. The outside brake pad basically dropped out. It did not have clips retaining it. This pad was almost down to the metal. All of the other pads had at least 1/4 to a 1/3 of the pad left. No one had the part that was open today. Also while trying to push the cylinder back, the boot would not recess properly leaving it out over the cylinder. The driver side had the problem, but it was fairly easy to correct. I am not a master mechanic or anything, but I have changed numerous brake pads and drum shoes and have never experienced this before. Has anyone else had this problem or could the cylinder and boot be damaged because of the clips missing?
  • Options
    duke516duke516 Member Posts: 2
    It happened to me also last winter - had to take it to the dealer.
    Hope you are still under warranty.
  • Options
    ehlers1ehlers1 Member Posts: 3
    No I'm not. I have 84K on the car and this is the first thing to go on the car. I know the part must be easy to replace and the cost I found out is around $25. I know if I take it to a dealer it will cost $150+
  • Options
    Post a request for the location here
    bozie, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #1699, 17 Jul 2005 12:24 am

Alcan probably knows where the resistor board is on that car and also there might be a fuse to check that feeds the lower speeds for the blower. It's probably an under the dash, take off a sound deadening cover, find the right location, pull the connector for the power cable, remove two screws and you've done it.

• Options
    90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    Had my 2002 RDV since 7/01. Drive very little (have 7200 miles). Today, after getting NYS Inspection and Oil Change/Filter/Lube (for the 1st time at local mechanic -had used dealer service,prior), I came home, parked the car, then came out again - NO START - Battery Dead. Tried a few more times, then it started. Also started again 2 hours later.

Looked at orig Delco Battery and the "eye" is dark. Funny, I looked at it two or three times in the past few weeks and it was "green". (took two 400 mile trips)

I guess I have to expect this after 4 yrs (dead battery). Anyone have good luck with replacement batteries? Anyone try the DieHard made for SUV's? I don't know if I would trust anyone at a Sears place to touch the car.

I won't install it myself, but installation looks like a REAL HASSLE, involving crossbars, and other stuff in the way!

P.S. Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I don't even trust my own local mechanic anymore. Luckily, as I was watching, I saw his newer mechanic taking air OUT of my tires. I asked, what are you doing? He said, "putting them at 32psi"(they were at fac.recc 35psi). I said "where did you get that number?" He said "that's what I thought it should be". He had no idea that the number is on the door label.

Isn't that why many of the Ford Explorer Firestone tire problems happened? MANY people (and dealers) were under-inflating those tires???

I
  • Options
    I put Walmart Maxx battery with high cca (1000 and 960) rating and $59 price in my older Buick LeSabre 3+ years ago. Still going great. Has a 7 year/3 year full replacement. They will put in battery free. Guarantee good anywhere you travel and there's a Walmart (maybe even a Sams). If you go for midvalue battery, I'm not so sure on quality variations. I put an Autolite from Advance Auto into a friend's older Civic.

• Options
    Hi folks,

Had a scheduled appt. at dealership today for brake thumping which I mentioned in earlier posts, hard as rock Affinity Tire issues, and yesterday, the a/c shut off on me only to eventually come back on in 99 degrees weather. This appointment, other than the a/c issue, was scheduled by the SERVICE MANAGER, versus ADVISER. I drove 20 miles one way and another 20 back. He was in a MEETING for 4 hours! No one called, no one could help me and so I came home, rather agitated about this situation and the whole Buick Rendez. issue, and feeling so bad, that I bought an 04 w/1500 miles on it. I have now 4000 miles on it and these things shouldn't be happening. The brakes squeal as some of you have also experienced, and the brakes thump all the time. Your suggestions of brake pads, etc., has been very helpful to me. However, I really don't have any faith in this car, given all I've read about its past years history. It's also AWD and I am handicapped on fixed income, and I don't think I'll be able to afford any of the problems listed. The SERVICE MANAGER (I was told) will call me back this afternoon following his meeting. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for being there. BTW-On my way home, I stopped at Chrysler. They have this PACIFICA, similar to the Rendez in shape and a little longer/wider in body, but I didn't care much for the overall pick up on highway and you could hear the transmission groan just getting around on level ground, let alone hwy.
  • Options
    Hi.......

I have a "new" 04 Rend. AWD. First summer with it...AC did exact same as yours...shut off on me last night, only had speed number 5. Today, same thing. See my most recent note on the boards about todays failed attempt to have the SERVICE :MANAGER meet with me. Good luck to both of us on this issue. I'll keep you posted. I expect him to call me today and reschedule. :mad:
  • Options
    Hi, I haven't had this problem yet, thank God, but I was at the dealers for brake issues (squealing breaks at 1500miles and now still going at 4000 miles, a/c which shut off like others posted on speeds 1-4, but worked on #5, and a very hard riding feeling and brake pads that let go....Nice for a new car, hey? Anyway, someone came in with the same issues as you. The car was towed in and the service manager told her that if you don't push the hose all the way into the opening for gas to enter the tank, it creates what was once referred to as "vapor" lock, and screws up the computer. Something else to worry about, because he also said it happens very often. How comforting! :O)
    I make sure to turn my cap until I hear a few clicks, and if someone else pumps it, I always get out and make sure I turn the cap, and hear those clicks. So far, so good. Good luck. Gail
  • Options
    Hi folks,

Just giving you update. I rec'd call from service manager today (Thursday) apologizing for not making yesterdays appt. after my travels there for an appt. I went today, he took the car out. Tires are Affinities and very hard. He admitted this, but suggested I stay with them. He admitted the ride on the road was very rough. He heard the brakes and the thumping when I turn the steering wheel. Said a pad is probably not working right. The A/c blower which many have complained about here is indeed just that!! He told me speeds 1-4 go out "often" and it's the resister on the unit, supposedly an "easy" fix. He mentioned he can "soften" the suspension or do something to "soften" the ride and I wonder if anyone may have some ideas as to what he may do? This is an 04 AWD. I don't think he can do anything to the suspension, can he? He told me the car can be "raised" higher, and thought maybe this was the problem, but he looked under carriage and found it to already be at the lowest height from the ground, which is still high! :O) Just wanted to update some of you who took the time to offer help and suggestions. He didn't bother to let air out of the tires as he thougth he might. He wants to see how things go with all he wants to do. He will be on vac. next week, and the week after, and asked if I would wait till Aug. 1st so he can be there in the shop to check things out. I agreed to this. So for now, that's my update for you. Maybe something here will be of some help to others. Thanks! gail
  • Options
    boysmomboysmom Member Posts: 4
    wow! "Ditto", that's all I can say. I've asked this same question on a different Buick RDV forum and haven't had any replies. This started for me last summer when I was driving from KC to Dallas. I pulled right into a Firestone Tire and Service Center. Parked my car right in front of the store...ran in for a quick second...came out and my car would not start. Talk about embarrassed. My car was illegally parked and would not start. No re-fueling took place, but I too made several attempts to re start the car and it would crank but never "kick in". The store was closing and the mgr didn't want a stalled car on his lot. They even came out and shot some stuff in the fuel line to clear up any "vapor lock/flooding" issue. Still nothing. After about 25-30 minutes the engine started and ran fine... just like you said. I thought maybe the car was over heated because I ran the car over 80 mph on my last tank. Then back in KC I just went to the Post Office, parked on an incline and boom...in...out...no start...30 minutes...start. Most recently (last week), I drove from KC to Little Rock. Stopped for gas and the same thing happened. People look at you and will even say "hey, your new car shouldn't be doing that". NO KIDDING! On the return home, I had my boys with me and I was scared to death to stop for gas. When I did (at the very last drop), I pulled in, turned the a/c over to heat to draw off some engine heat, let it run idle for a few minutes and checked in with On-Star for a diagnostic before I turned the engine off. On-Star stayed with me while I fueled with the top $ gasoline. I didn't supper fill my tank and turned the gas cap around and around several times. On-Star was still there and my car turned right over. I also made sure I didn't give it a quick key turn. I didn't let go until I heard the engine turn over. I HATE this frustration. I have found that this only happens to me in the hot summer months...July and August '04 and July '05. Hasn't happened any other months. I know this sounds very detailed... but since it worked for me this last time it might help. Since then, it hasn't failed to restart. But I too, would love to hear what others are doing if they are having this problem.
  • Options
    We owned a Nissan that used to do this on the hottest days of the summer. Turned out it was a faulty gas cap which was somehow causing a vapor lock to occur. Replaced the gas cap ... voila ... no more starting problems. Maybe try a new gas cap and make sure it clicks at least 5 times when closing it.

2002 Rendezvous CXL here and I have never had this happen. Here in Wisconsin, we've been having a very hot, humid summer -- 80's and 90's with high humidity for weeks now -- no starting problems.

Do you garage your car?
  • Options
    Your post is interesting. But it needs a paragraph or two to break it up, please?

• Options
    boysmomboysmom Member Posts: 4
    I also have a 2002 RDV CXL (32k miles) and yes, I do garage my car.

Thank you for sharing your gas cap info. I certainly hope it's something as simple as replacing the cap.

I also have a "whirring" noise that seems to come from the floor area, approximately at the back end of the console. It happens when I turn the steering wheel to park or turn in circles. I've taken it in to the dealership and they said it would go away with new tires. It didn't. I put on nice Michelin LTX tires (the ride is GREAT) but the noise is still there. After reading this forum I don't know if it's something dangerous, annoying or normal. I'm not smart with cars, just gullible.

Also, my apologies for bad grammar. Just wanted to get a lot of info out.