Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    and I think you just made my point. It is not the percentage, it is the hassle/aggravation (in your words "stroking out") for the absolute amount of money that is key.

To carry it to the other extreme, I'm sure you could go in and talk many grocers into giving you a 20% discount on a banana. 20% is a large discount right? But we don't bother since it would take 10-minutes of our time to save $0.05 which is a wage of $0.25/hour, hardly worth it.

This principle of thinking in terms of the absolute money saved vs. time instead of the percentage savings isn't just my idea - it is exposed in many books on business and negotiation.

- Mark
  • A dealer has a 350Z touring model, chrome, charcoal leather, 6 speed manual. The car however is from a trade in and has 4100 miles. The dealer wants 32500.00 plus ttl...the invoice price is 30,338 (i excluded destination chg as they have been paid this when the car was first sold)...the car is too new to get a used car valuation i dont have info on the options yet...i think that 31,000 is a fair price...anybody got an opinion?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    You are buying a used car, period. Don't compare anything about the price to dealer invoice on a new car.

Personally, I don't like the idea of buying a used sports car where break in is very important to the car's long term performance (i.e. S2000, M3, etc; probably not as big of a deal on the 350Z). However, how do you know the previous owner hasn't put 40k miles of wear andd tear on the clutch and now wants to dump the car?

Consider this: Washington Post ad two weeks ago for a 2002 Boxster S loaded, 3,000 miles, perfect condition, $42,995 obo. That was a $60,000 car new.

If you are going to buy a 350Z that someone else has driven for 4,100 miles, I be looking for a much better deal than $31k. Or just get a new one, since they are now going for $1,000 to $2,000 under list in the DC area.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I agree with habitat1, I wouldn't touch that "lightly used" 350Z unless maybe I had a chance to talk to (interview) the previous owner and see if I could get a feel for how he broke it in and how he maintains vehicles (and why he traded it in so quickly).

For $34,200 you can easily pick up a new 350 Touring 6 speed.
  • thanks for the input...ive never bought a used car before and im somwhat irritated that the dealer is asking only 1000.00 less than the cost of a new model..guess im gonna have to strighten him out...thanks agn
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    Generally a car loses about 10%-15% of its value when its driven off the lot. Most folks would rather buy new than used if the price difference is only 10-15%.

So I'd be looking for a much bigger discount. Of course, if the car is super clean and looks to be in great shape, then you have to make a decision for yourself. You do have the factory warranty as a safety net.

- Mark
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for Town Hall Trivia Night and member-to-member chat – come test your knowledge and chat with fellow members!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

See you there!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    Of course the dealer is thinking, and he's probably right, that he can get that: if you really like the car, and he has its paper and/or can put you in touch with the owner, run a Carfax on it, then make him an offer, in writing, for 20% below the MSRP (as optioned).

He probably won't accept it, but if he wants the sale he may surprise you, if not now then later in the month.

JW
  • I have a 350z with about 5k miles and I have serious tire wear on the inside of my front two tires. I have been on other forums like my350z.com and many people seem to have the same problem. I was wondering if anyone here had it as well.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and sorry to hear about your tire problem. So far, I haven't come across any similar reports in this discussion. Feel free to also post your question on our Maintenance & Repair Message Board. If you can't find an appropriate discussion there, feel free to start up a new "350Z Problems & Solutions" discussion if you'd like. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Has anybody recently purchased a Nissan 350z for at good price in Southern California. If so, what model with options and what price. Best price that I found was $800 below MSRP.
    I was just using the configurator at the Nissan site. I clicked on "Accessories" and found a listing for 'leather.' Does anyone know what this is about? I'm extra puzzled because I haven't heard of it before.

Sounds like a stupid question, but why is leather on the Touring model if you can get it on all of the others?

But if that's so, can a buyer get leather on the Track model, or the Performance, etc.?

What are the choices? The cost?

And if this is all a matter of not understanding, what does 'leather' refer to?

JW
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Posts: 24
    You can only get leather on the touring model from the factory.
    However most decent size dealers can get installed for about 1100 to 1400 depending if you want single tone or 2tone leather.
  • perakisperakis Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a NISMO turbo or supercharger added to their z350? if so who did the work? also is the engine still covered under warranty? thanks!
    Nismo has released the suspension package, though, along with the body kit, and several other doo-dads .... Nissan is pricing them at obscene prices for the people who think they're driving a Porsche and are used to obscene prices.

The parts are divided into the "S" category -- body kit, etc. Second is the "R" category, including parts like the CAI. "S" is for street I guess, and "R" for race. Parts in the "S" group stay within warranty. Those in the "R" group are not ... you wouldn't want Nissan to cover a mod that makes a difference, would you?

Given that, I doubt the S/C would be covered, if in fact it ever comes out ... I haven't heard anyone thinking it would. Right now, Greddy and STillen are the only show in town.

JW
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Check out Edmunds' Road Test of the 2003 Nissan 350Z, and let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I like the idea of a car pulling smoothly at 900rpm! That would be nice to have.
    I think Karl Brauer and Brian Moody are getting old and reveal their "age" in their second opinnions. A fine primary review (though a little late, I guess) overall, but I don't think the Z is any firmer, harsher, harder .... whatever ... than the Boxster, or Corvette, or Honda S2k, or any of the other sports cars it competes against. Sure the G-coupe is a little easier, but it's supposed to be and you would expect it. I don't count that as an insight.

Just a suggestion: if the review is going to be so many months after the introduction, and after 25000 have been sold, wouldn't it make sense to summarize and comment on some of the consumer issues that have arisen -- for example, with the transmission grinding and receiving warranty replacements? or the tire feathering and bounce that many people have complained about and are receiving new tires? And whether they are issues that are so prolific that the average buyer needs to be concerned about them.

Obviously Edmund's hasn't run into such issues with the road test or on the long-term test or we would be hearing about them. Which would mean going to a third party. Imo, a good idea.

After nearly 10 months of reading about this car, I'm still as excited about it as ever. I've now "test" driven it four times, once taking a friend's car for a ride in autoX competition. It's a terrific car to drive. It's on my short list: the Z, the G-coupe, and the STi. Once I've had a chance to drive the STi I'll be buying the '04 version of one of these and using it to replace a road sedan and a dedicated autoX vehicle. It will be expected to keep me in comfort for about 20000 miles/yr on the highway and go like snot in autoX for 15-20 weekends/yr.

The Edmund's review didn't tell me anything I didn't know, but John DiPietro is a good writer and he captured the flavor and driving experience of the car for me very well. Pass my compliments along, if you have access, Revka. And thanks for asking.

Z. J
  • zulaterzulater Posts: 3
    I'm in the final stages of negotiating on a white base 350Z. The dealer has about 6 Zs on the lot with the 2004's here in one month. IMO, this is the time to be dealing below MSRP. The base invoice is 25,262. I offered 26,262, not a penny more. The salesman is still "talking to his manager" who thinks the car will still go for sticker. I told him the car is already a year old and if we were dealing with sticker prices, then I might as well order a 2004 and get a newer car. Is the price going to go up for 2004? thoughts?
    Also...has anyone any thoughts on the rust proofing or any other dealer add ons...is the rustproofing worth a grand, my instincts say no.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I am not sure where you are located, but 350Z's are going for a lot less than MSRP in the Washington DC area and have been for at least a few months. I would say that your offer of $1,000 over invoice for a "leftover" 2003 is very fair. If they think they can sell a 2003 for close to sticker, God bless them.

Also, I do not believe there is any significant price increase for the 2004's. Unless you plan on driving the car forever and don't care about resale value, I would want at least an additional 5% discount on an outgoing model year. And I know for a fact that my Nissan dealership will be discounting 2004 350Z's by at leat $1,000-$1,500 as soon as they arrive. So something in the $2,500+ under MSRP would be my "target price" for a 2003.

350Z pricing is simply a atter of supply and demand - Nissan is producing twice as many 350Z's annually than Honda has made S2000's in total since they were introduced in late 1999. While the 350Z is the new kid on the block, there simply aren't enough blocks in need of a two seater coupe for Nissan to be able to maintain MSRP pricing. For comparison, I bought a 2002 Honda S2000 in November 2001 (right after the new and "improved" model came out) for roughly $1,000 under MSRP. And at that time, there were only about 5 new S2000's available in the entire Washington DC area. Today, I'd be willing to bet there are well over 100 350Z's sitting on the lots of the dozen+ dealerships in my area.

As for any "add-ons" like rustproofing, etc., they are all worthless. This isn't the 1970's when cars weren't rustproofed at the factory. Frankly, I would avoid a dealership that tries to add anything purely on principal. It shows lack of integrity. If they don't succeed with that "gotcha", they will surely try again down the road when you take the car in for service.

Good luck.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Posts: 191
    The pricing of 350Z, like all cars, is a local thing. A good price in Southern California may not be a good price in DC. Spend a day or two visiting the local Nissan dealers and you'll know very soon what 350Zs are going for in your area. No reason to wait for anyone to talk to his manager unless that's the only Nissan dealership within 50 miles.

MSRP on a 2003 is silly. Unless the dealers are getting well over MSRP on 2004s (and I doubt they are) then MSRP on a 2003 makes no sense.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Posts: 266
    ...except base cars are very difficult to get. Check those inventories, they are loaded with touring models, a sprinkling of tracks and a few odd-ball colored enth. models. As far as non-side bagged bases?..almost non-existant. White is the weak link, not the most popular color. Either way, it is a great ride for $27k. Good luck.
    Location is the key here. I'm in Hawaii with only 3 dealers on Oahu and all three are set on moving their Z's at MSRP. I will wait for the 2004 model and try to knock at least 200 off MSRP, if for no other reason, for my own satisfaction. Regardless, Its a lot of car for 27K. I was at the MINI dealer yesterday with friends that are placing an order on a Cooper S. I've driven both and I like the MINI, but the Z's power and lines are intoxicating. I'm sold.
    I will put an order on a 2004 tomorrow. The dealer has agreed to $500 below MSRP on a base 2004 350Z. This is a good deal for Hawaii. He said he doesn't know what the pricing is on the 2004s yet, but will put the offer in writing when I order my car. From what Edmunds says the pricing will remain the same (or within a hundred). How can Edmunds have pricing but the dealer not? I'll bring a printout from Edmunds..can his MSRP or invoice be different than what Edmunds has?
    I'm very confused. All the Edmund's reviewers on the long-term (Track) Z keep mentioning that the ride is firm or harsh or .... whatever.

John DiPietro and others tested the Touring model, found it rode fine. Now DiPietro last month tested the Track model and says it is firm or harsh or ... whatever and he would prefer the Touring because of that probably.

Here's my confusion: BETWEEN THE TRACK AND THE TOURING THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE IN THE SUSPENSION. There is only approx. 20# of weight difference. The brakes are different (Brembos on Track). THe wheels are different (Rays on the Track) but they are the same size (18").

No objective reason for there to be a noticeable difference. (Of course the trim is very different but leather doesn't effect the ride, imo.) So I wondered if my own failure to notice the difference waw a reflection of my own obtuseness .... I asked on MY350Z.com. The people who replied there also had read the Edmund's post and say they can't feel a difference in the ride either.

It could be several things.

It could be the editors at Edmunds are even older than me. (Doubtful)

It could be there is something wrong with one of the cars they tested. (Maybe)

It could be .... they need to fill us all in and be a bit more specific. (For sure.)

One person sent Edmund's (DiPietro?) an email. No answer. So I'm asking here.

What's up, Edmunds? Thankx. J
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,531
    Send John another e-mail and let me know here if you don't get a response--I'll check then, maybe he's not getting his mail or is on vacation or something.

Host

Thanks for the reaction, Shifty. I sent a request, copying this discussion, and promised I would post his explanation if he replied. J
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A journalist with a major daily newspaper is looking to talk with people who recently bought the Toyota Sienna, the Mini Cooper, the Nissan 350Z, and the Hummer H2, who found ways to circumvent waiting lists and who did not pay more than the sticker price. Please respond with your daytime contact information to Mamayn@aol.com as soon as possible, no later than Tuesday, August 5. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact Edmunds.com PR Director Jeannine Fallon at jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Does anyone know for certain when the 2004 hatchbacks start arriving. I get very vague answers when I ask the dealer.