Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• peppermollypeppermolly Member Posts: 1
    Articles on the web always tell you not to negotiate lease payment but the price of the car.. here is my question.

I don't want to own the car and I don't want to put any money down.
    I know how much I would like to spend every month... then Could someone explain to me why it is not a good idea to negotiate monthly leasing payment?

Thanks for your advice.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If you pay $300/mo. for your next Altima, is that a good deal? I mean, it's obviously better than $315/mo.... but, what if you found out that at that lease price, the dealer is making $4000 on the car, and could have easily leased it to you for $240/mo and still made money? Is $300/mo. still a good deal, then?

You have to find out what the car is selling for, lease or buy.... then do the calculations to get the lease payment.. Once you know that figure, then you can certainly negotiate that lease payment down, or even shop it with another dealer without bargaining the selling price all over again, provided you are comparing apples to apples... same car, same lease term, same mileage allowance, etc..

You have one part right, that some bargainers lose sight of... The lease payment is important.. A great selling price on a car that has a crappy lease program might still make for a crappy lease payment..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cool_sdcool_sd Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks, I am planning to buy Nissan Altima, preferring it over Hyundai Sonata , my budget is 25k and would like to get the maximum features ......I am not liking Hyundai because of more wind noise in the freeway (only bad point) ........... I visited Nissan dealers and liked Nissan altima very much, nice smooth engine ...... Got out of the door price of fully loaded (all packages convenience, plus , premium - backup camera, bluetooth ... except Navigation) Nissan Altima SL for 27500 (dealer in california) .... I have told dealer i will buy if he gives for 26200 ..... do you guys think I am making right choice by going for Nissan Altima SL and do you think this is the right price?
    Highly appreciate your response ..... I have no experience in buying cars
    Reading some of the posts here, seems like i am paying high price .... cars getting so expensive this summer ...:(
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    do you guys think I am making right choice by going for Nissan Altima SL?

No one can really tell you. Some people like Nissans while others hate them. It's the same for any manufacturer. If you like the car, buy it.

do you think this is the right price?

$27.5 OTD is very good in CA = 24.5K + ~10% sale tax and $400 registration.
  • ohgomezohgomez Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    I had a 2005 Honda Hybrid with 150,000 miles. It wouldn’t pass inspection because I needed to replace the catalytic converter. In addition, my IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) light was on indicating an issue with the hybrid battery. I had it appraised at a Nissan dealership and we negotiated up to $5,000. KBB had it listed as $5,000 as a private sale in poor condition, and N.A.D.A had it listed as $4,875 Rough Trade-in, so this was a good deal for me.

We wanted the base the 2011 Altima I4 CVT 2.5S with automatic transmission. The first dealership’s offer threw in 12 free oil changes plus the following:
    Altima’s price: 20,250 ($500 of which is holiday cashback, $1,250 of which was a cash back option for financing with Nissan finance, but I wasn’t going to get the 0% APR )
    Minus trade in of 5,000
    Trade difference $15,250

I took this offer to a nicer bigger dealership. They initially offered me $22,450 for the Altima, minus $3,000 for my trade in, minus the $500 cash back bringing the total to $18,950, however I mentioned the other dealers offer and we agreed to was $15,700. The car came with tinted windows, pin striping floor mats, and plastic floor mats that went ontop. We didn’t get the free oil changes and we paid $500 more, but I got 0% financing and this salesguy treated us great.
    What I learned was that everything was negotiable at all times. I also used a car-buying report from a reputable consumer magazine. I was only $7 off of what they thought I should pay.

One interesting note, we told our sales guy that we didn’t care how he got to that bottom line as long as we walked out financed at $15,700. So the final bill of sale was way different from the first. In addition, I noticed a $1000 manufacture’s rebate that wasn’t listed in my report or on any website. That rebate must have been for more, but the dealership took the rest. So, there is some wiggle room there ontop of the cash back option.

After we agreed to the price, we went to the finance manager and he told us that that price included the cashback offer already, so we would have to add $1,250 to the price to get 0% interest. I told him that wasn’t the deal and that I would walk if I didn’t get the 0% apr. He walked away and came back saying that it was out of his jurisdiction, but that he got it approved.

We did pay for a $125 document fee that I didn’t notice. I’ll catch it next time as that was negotiable too.

Altima Price: $21,700 (Included was $500 off for a holiday cash rebate)(We could have taken another $1,250 off if I didn't take 0% apr)

Manufacurer/Dealership Repate: $1,000

Trade-in: $5000

21,700 - $1000 - $5000 = $15,700 + TTL financed at 0%
  • onlamonlam Member Posts: 13
    Brand new Altima(Tuscan Sun with black leather). 5 miles on the odo. built 02/2011

Altima 3.5 SR $24,750
    SR Premium Package $2,380
    SR Sports Package $2,370
    Technology Package $1,780
    Moonroof Deflector $100
    Floor & Trunk Mat $175
    Trunk Sub-Floor Organ $140
    Kick Plates $170

Destination Charge $760

Total- $32,625
    Dealer discount- -$4295
    Rebate- -$1750

$26580 plus tax+title :shades:

Didn't take the extra $500 NMAC rebate because my FICA is good enough for 2.94% from the local bank.
  • mshareefmshareef Member Posts: 5
    All,

I am in midst of making a decision on this. Do you think this is a good deal for a New 2011 Altima 2.5 S + Convenience pkg = 23K OTD + 0% 60 Months APR.

Please advice if there is any room for more negotiation. This is for a purchase in IL area.
  • amy786amy786 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal? i went in myself (female) I just don't want to get screwed. First time buying a car.
    2008 nissan altima; 40k miles, fully loaded but no GPS ( dealer will throw in free portable GPS), leather seats, alloy rims, sunroof. warranty is for 60k miles, the extended warranty is extra money.
    my credit is 650 and i'm going to put down 4k. He said $15,000 but not including tax and fees... with a monthly payment of $255.00 at 7% interest rate
    Can I negotiate this lower? Originally listed for $16,995 as their "special internet price"
    this is nissan in nassau county Long Island New York.
    edited June 2011
    40k miles is not bad for a '08. If the car is really loaded (2.5 SL) and no accident, the price is o.k.

Warranty-there's no more B2B on this car, powertrain is good till 60K miles and transmission is good till120k miles or 10 years.

Personally, you should just buy a 4k car with your current credit score. You can save more money, improve your credit score and then buy a new Altima after a year or 2.
  • svn26svn26 Member Posts: 4
    Recently (May & June) the Nissan dealers in my area have been offering $5000-5500 rebates on all Altimas bringing the price of a 2011 2.5S (no bells & whistles) down to about $18.5k-19k and 2.5 to about $17k. Very hard to negotiate though, even Honda is more flexible.

Why is only Nissan offering such a low price while the other manufacturers are not? A slightly upgraded Civic goes for $18.5k...
  • just2playyjust2playy Member Posts: 5
    May I know area/dealership where you are getting 2011 2.5S for 18.5 k?

thanks
  • maxie_maverickmaxie_maverick Member Posts: 8
    Hi Everyone

It's been a while since I came back to this thread. Nice to see such a widespread interest in the new Altima. I bought one recently for my girlfriend and I must admit that I am quite impressed with the construction quality. It's just a good solid car but I did have the "Check Engine" light come on once for some unknown reason. It did go off by itself but was enough to freak me and my girl out... The car basically had 1650 miles on it when the check engine light came on and went off... The dealership was not sure what was wrong... Anyways, I am happy with my purchase and thought it is better to invest in an extended warranty... Who can give me the details to buy an extended warranty (Nissan only) cheap? No third party fake warranties please.... Any help greatly appreciated....

Thanks
    Maxie
  • skyfan1skyfan1 Member Posts: 37
    My Altima is about a year old. I am loving it so far. I am very interested in what information you receive about the extended warranty. I have not decided if I will get one, even though I plan to keep my car for about 10 years. My engine light seems to come on every time the car is scheduled for maintenance. I wonder if the dealership has a way to make that happen (maybe I am crazy to wonder about this.) Anyway, my dealer claims that not taking off and replacing the gas cap exactly perfectly causes this to happen. I did find out that, as you said, the engine light went out eventually. I am not sure, but I think it took about 3 weeks or so.
  • goldieatxgoldieatx Member Posts: 26
    I went in to drive (and presumably buy) a 370z, but it didn't quite suit me. I was also interested in the Altima coupe, figuring I could save some money and gain some comfort over what's really a not-at-all-practical weekend car (the Z). Of all the cars I drove (VW R32, Dodge Challenger R/T, Audi A4, Kia Optima SX, Nissan Maxima SV, Ford Fusion Sport, Nissan 370Z), it seemed like a great choice. I took it for a 3-day weekend test drive to be sure, and I decided that was the one for me (despite tiny back seats). I feel like I got a pretty good deal, too, but who can ever be sure?

New 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SR V6 CVT
    Slate exterior, charcoal interior
    Premium package
    Leather Package
    Tech package (which inherently implies the previous packages)
    Spoiler
    Moonroof deflector
    Floor mats & such

Pretty much everything but kick plates (it was the only one available).

List price was $34,545
    - Mfg cash rebate $500

My negotiated price was $30,545

I had them run up a lease on the same car, same price (maybe not the $500 rebate). With excellent credit on a 36 month lease, 12,000 miles, it came out to $439 per month, or something close to that.

I chose to buy with 0% financing from Nissan instead of an extra $1250 incentive.

I got a pretty good deal on my trade-in, too (though I'll miss my Infiniti). So, after about $3250 down (plus tax credit for the trade-in), I am paying $474 per month for 60 months.

I hope that helps to give you an idea of what to expect if you're willing to work at it. I'm pretty happy with the car so far.
  • feqfeq Member Posts: 2
    Hi, may I know what is your location? Thanks!
  • dbphxdbphx Member Posts: 3
    phx, az, abc nissan.
  • ninja15ninja15 Member Posts: 3
    I know Nissan was offering $500 rebate for financing thru them (not the 0% APR option) along with 1750 rebate going on during Memorial day sale. Was the offer from ABC Nissan considering the financing discount?
  • rbikkyrbikky Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,

This thread is great for all new Altima buyers. I have decided to buy a 2011/12 2.5SL Altima with Bose audio. The best offer I have at hand right now on 2011 Altima is $25,600 drive out. Included in the price are car : All standard factory equipment plus these options:

- Floor mats
    - Splash guards
    - Premium SL Package
    - Convenience package
    - Convenience package plus
    - Premium Audio package
    - Wheel locks
    - Window tint
    - Aluminum kick plates
    - Nitrogen filled tires

Do you think I'm getting a good bargain for this Altima? Have any of had better pricing than this? I'm from Houston, Texas, if that helps.

Thanks for your help folks!
  • rtraversirtraversi Member Posts: 4
    Just got a 2011 Altima 2.5s today. Regular 2.5, no additional options.

MSRP: 23,005
    Cap Cost = 20,750
    + Fees = 21,863

They gave me 14900 for my 2008 Altima so I made $1096 on the trade in ...

So adjust cap was $20,767

39 month lease, 15k miles/year = $226
    no money outlay (sign and drive)

I'm trying to convince my wife it was a good deal!
  • altima2012altima2012 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a new 2012 Altima 2.5s, didn't even realize the 2012 were out yet.

Brilliant silver, charcoal interior
    MSRP :27550
    -Convenience and convenience plus packages
    -premium audio
    -splash guards
    -kickplates
    -floor mats
    -trunk organizer
    -moon roof deflector

Was able to get it for $23500-$750 incentive for 2012 models, so total $22750

Did have to pay an additional $1500 on top of that for dealer fees, safety window etching (dumb) and their "appearance" package, which I tried to get reduced, but they absolutely wouldn't budge on that, even though I didn't want the items they put on the car for the appearance package. They actually said they couldn't come down on that because it is their built in measure of not having a complete loss on the car. So, I asked them to tint my car for free, which they agreed to so I was a little more pleased with, plus oil changes for life.

This was my first time purchasing a car. Did a lot of research beforehand and think I received a nice deal! The first dealer I went to said I was crazy to think I was going to get a car for that price (and they only had 2011 models). :P
  • rbikkyrbikky Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like a nice deal! So final drive out price was $24250 right? Did you have the SL package as well? If you dont mind, from which dealer did you make the purchase? Nissan finacing?
    edited June 2011
    Bought 2011 Altima 2.5 SL with the following options for 23,250 (OTD)

Floor mats
    - Splash guards
    - Premium SL Package
    - Convenience package
    - Aluminum kick plates
    - Bluetooth
  • buyaltima786buyaltima786 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    How did u pull that off? Whats the msrp on the car? How much was the car before TTL? where r u located? Killer deal.

Plz let me know since Im in the process of buying an altima. I wd buy it for that price in a heartbeat.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP.
  • lioness55lioness55 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Just purchased a 2011 2.5 S w/ SL package...loaded, leather heated seats ect. I traded in my 10yr old Grand Am with 44,000 good condition for 3,200.00. They put on a spoiler for me N/C but had to charge 500.00 for the fog lights I wanted due to the fact of the wiring. They wouldnt budge. My total finished price after taxes and fees was 24,500.00 The car was about 27,000. Not sure if I got a good price or not. NY dealer
    MSRP is 27,800. Price before TTL is 21,935. I live in North Carolina but bought car from VA (Washington DC). Went through Truecar/Amex pricing (I talked with 10 dealers).
  • sara35sara35 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, would you mind posting the dealership name and where it is, also the name of the salesperson?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    I just leased a 2011 Altima 2.5 S with the convenience plus package and i noticed in some of the postings floor mats were included in the price? Were these the regular floor mats or the all weather floor mats? The reason i ask is when the salesman and I were going over the features of the Altima there were all weather mats in the trunk however they were not included.
    Whats the tax rate in percent u paid for the vehicle? Here in tx we pay 6.25%.
    Sheehy Nissan
    NC sales tax is 3%
  • sergiuscasergiusca Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys,

Please advice on how good is this deal for 26000 (OTD) in CA?

Options include:
    - Floor mats
    - Splash guards
    - Premium SL Package
    - Convenience package
    - Premium Audio package
    - Wheel locks
    - Window tint
    - Aluminum kick plates

Thnks.
  • monkie2009monkie2009 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2011 base altima for 17,041 + 399 (doc fees) + TTL in NJ. how did I do ? I used truecar.
    whats the msrp on the vehicle?
    MSRP 21,030
    is that the one with no radio?
    good deal! A little under invoice.
    yup.. no radio.. putting one in myself this weekend!
  • lucasqlucasq Member Posts: 20
    Just bought a 2011 2.5s with special edition package. Some dealer installed options include Aluminum kick plates, mats, splash guards and blue tooth. Paid 20940 OTD.

Did not qualify for the graduate bonus ($500).
  • anhhonganhhong Member Posts: 1
    Where are you at? What are the differences of Nissan Altima 2.5 and 2.5 S?
    Thank you.
    Baltimore area. 2.5s has more options to select and you may find the information you want from here.
    http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2011/#fullreview
    Wow, to get $20940 OTD, your base price is about 19K + TTL or 6k under MSRP.
  • laran1laran1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    How much should I excpect to pay for
    1-the basic 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 in MA ?
    "The Msrp is $20,410.00"

2-the basic 2011 Nissan altima 2.5 ?

Thank you
    Yes, that's what the altima's price is supposed to be.
  • prizpriz Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I recently got a 2011 Altima 2.5S in Lynnfield, MA
    special edition
    alumium plate
    splash guard
    floor/ trunk mat
    wheel lock(not listed but maybe a bonus)

21K OTD. (MSRP $24430 by truecar...but dealer tagged it as $24060)
    about $19400 for the car. (with $1250 incentive)

2.5 base is a bit harder to deal since the dealers don't stock them a lot. Check the truecar and you could see the lowest recent sale was around $16500. That price won't be easy, but try to deal better than truecar haggle free quotes.
    Yes, that's what the altima's price is supposed to be.

No, I don't think it's a normal price for every where or all the time. It might be true for your area or if you buy it in the right time.

I helped my brother to get a 2011 2.5S like yours minus the Special Edition almost 2 months ago. We needed to go to 3 dealers in order to get 19.5K +TTL.

Best price at Truecar now is $20,622 (like yours) + TTL in Philly area.
  • cocruisincocruisin Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 2011 2.5SL-in Colorado

Convenience Pkg
    Convenience Pkg Plus
    SL Pkg with all bells and whistles
    Prem Audio Pkg
    Alum. Sill Plates
    Splash guards

24,700-8000 trade + 0% finance! Awsome!
    Love this car so far. Very fun to drive with all the upgrades!
  • jam808jam808 Member Posts: 14
    What is an good price for a 2012 Altima 2.5S with
    Convience package
    Audio (radio on steering wheel)
    Blutooth packatge

I live in Miami/Fort lauderdale..

Esserman Nissan in Miami $21695 for a 2.5S
    Maroone Nissam $22788

all with none of the perks listed above. I am still waiting on a few other quotes.
    I will keep u posted.

all help will be good.
    24,700 is OTD or plus tax and tags?
    Thanks
  • jam808jam808 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2011
    2012 Altima Nissan 2.5S
    Convience Package

sub total 23785.
    Florida disp 6.5
    Vehicle Service contract 2002. (Gold Security Package 72 months or 100,000 miles)
    Amount taxable 25793.50
    Sales tax 1547.61
    tag and registration fee 110.10
    Sub total 27451.21
    warranty enforcement act 2.0
    non taxable Gap 695.00
    Customer rebate 1250.00
    Down 2000
    unpaid balance 24898.21

My plan is to refinance with the credit union is 6 months
    The Gap will be credited and added at a less amount