Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

aerofoolaerofool Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
Hello,
I have just bought a 2002 Astro AWD. I had very good service from my previous Astro and had no reservations about buying another. I am satisfied at this point with the 2002 with one exception. When the sliding side door is opened, an inspection of the carpet just inboard of the trim strip, beside the middle bench seat, right where you would step into the van, reveals three depressions approximately 1/2 inch wide, 1/2 inch deep, and 5 to 6 inches long, and about 30 degrees to the longitudinal axis of the van.
These depressions are visible in the daylight, but not very offensive. When the sliding door is opened at night, the courtesy light for the sliding door shines across these depressions, and they look horrible. I took off the door trim strip and felt the rubber backing of the carpet and it was deformed exactly where the depressions were. I had my local dealer replace the carpet, and the replacement carpet had these depressions too. He called another dealer and asked him to look at the Astros on his lot, and he saw the same thing. He said the carpet looked like a tractor ran through the van. The service manager and I agreed that there wasn't any sense replacing the carpet again if they were coming from the factory that way. He suggested I contact customer assistance while he contacted the zone service manager. I received a call from customer assistance about a month later, and was told that the zone rep looked at a few Astros, and said the carpet was OK because every one he looked at was the same way. I was also told that mine was the only complaint they received. I asked if I could talk to the zone service manager because he obviously didn't look at the depressions in the dark when the courtesy light was shining across them. I was told that customers weren't allowed to talk to the zone service managers. I requested that customer service then, request the zone service manager re-examine the Astro carpets in the dark when the courtesy light was shining accross the depressions. I was also told that since the zone representative saw these depressions in the other Astros that it was a "characteristic" of the vehicle, implying that nothing would be done about it. These depressions may be a characteristic of 2002 Astros, but are a bad characteristic, and not a characteristic of previous years, as I owned one before this, and have looked at several lately. I'm sure that if the right person at General Motors sees these depressions at night, something will be done at the assembly line, and with the carpet supplier.
These depressions probably havn't been caught at the assembly line because they don't build them in the dark.
At this point I'm still waiting to hear from customer assistance. If anyone else has a new Astro and sees these depressions, call customer assistance right away. They appear to be going to blow me off if I'm the only one complaining. If anyone knows of a way around customer assistance
with General Motors please post it and E-mail me.
I'm sure General Motors doesn't want it's products to appear this way, but I need to get to someone who really gives a #$@*&!!!

Comments

• rbritlandrbritland Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1993 AstroEXT AWD that I bought new and have 102,000 miles on it now. I have written to this forum before, but have not found a solution to the problem of the dutch doors not opening. I have learned over the Labor Day weekend through my own personal trouble shooting and thought others might benefit for what I believe is the probable cause of this problem. I generally refer to Hayes repair manuals, but the dutch doors are not covered in this book.

In the right, rear compartment, where the jack is stored, there is a black plastic box (approx. 3.5"X2.5"X1") with a wiring harness plugged into it. I carefully opened this box and found a small circuit board containing two relays. One relay activates the solenoid to release the glass hatch and unlock the right dutch door. The other relay locks the right dutch door about 2 seconds after the the hatch is closed. The second relay had blackened contact points from arcing. It seemed that if the second relay failed to lock the right dutch door, then the first relay would not activate the solenoids to release the glass hatch. I carefully cleaned the contacts on both relays and also cleaned the the circuit board contacts where the wiring harness plugs into it. I have not had a failure since I did this, but if I do, I will replace the entire black box. I hope this helps all who have experienced this problem. Please write if you find the solution to this problem to be anything other than this.
  • weepingwilloweepingwillo Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 2001 Chevy Venture that recently started to overheat, after having it in the repair shop for about three weeks they eventually found out that it was the thermostat that had gone bad, they replaced it and now three weeks later the car has started to overheat again.
    I live and work in Kingston Jamaica where it is very hot most of the times so i was wondering,could the vehicle run effectively without a thermostat, or what else could possibly cause it to be overheating.
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    The over heating is due to, pick one.
    a. fan clutch, my number one pick.
    b. Plugged or dirty radiator.
    c. Not running the specified 50/50 coolant.
    d. No! you can not run without a thermostat.

Good luck
    Boyd
  • alaskamamaalaskamama Member Posts: 3
    Last night my husband & I bought our first Venture, '98 year with only 44,000 mi. We were & are very pleased with the price we got, and the added features it came with.

Driving home, we noticed on cruise control & a few other times, it wasn't so smooth. It was like someone consistantly accelerating & letting off, but only slightly, enough to wonder...

Is this a normal Venture trait we simply need to get used to, does anyone else experence this as well?
  • benannabenanna Member Posts: 3
    My driver side power window does not close smoothly. It slow down half way through and have a small gap between the glass and the seal in the back. Any suggestions? Any suggestion on how to take the door panel out to see what is wrong?
  • floydsunfloydsun Member Posts: 6
    My 2000 Venture's battery burst at the exposed side. The dealer replaced it no charge but acid spilled has caused some rust to appear. The new (Delco) battery is bulging at the same place the old one did. What's Up?
  • uncbratuncbrat Member Posts: 1
    Yes I said Chevy Venture Vans !! We are on our second Chevy Venture and I must say when the Consumer Protection Agency gets us out of this one... IT WILL BE OUR LAST !!

We got our first Chevy Venture from a dealership inLaurel, Maryland. From day one we noticed the overhead console leaking. The sales rep told us it was a "condensation buildup from the air conditioner". WOW one powerful air conditioner eh? Well that buildup landed up back in the shop 9 times. Unable to fix the problem and Chevy accusing us of creating the problem... the Chevy Corp. had to purchase the vehicle back under the lemon law. Especially after they found rust on the van from the leaking.

Well, a few years later... October 13, 2001..we decided to purchase another Chevy Venture van because we enjoyed the "space" in it when we traveled back home. This time we purchased the van back home while my husband and I were on leave. Well..... our saga begins again. In April of this year... with only 8200 miles on the van... we noticed a bit of hesitation to the motor. What went from hesitation to a down and out clunk in the motor turned out to be the transmission. Yep.. we had to have the entire transmission replaced. Well not only did the original dealership refuse to help us...( we were darn near stranded on I95!! ))... we ended up having to leave the van back in NC for a week in order for another dealership... (Power Swain - THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL HELP !!) to order the part and fix the transmission.

Ready for this? Once we got the van back up in Maryland... a week later... the godforsaken thing started leaking .. JUST LIKE OUR FIRST ONE DID. Well then... now that we are on time number 5 with the leak... here's hoping that the same attorney can get us out of this one quicker than he did the last one !!

So problems with this van?
    1- TRANSMISSION - replaced at 8200 miles
    2- Leaking overhead console - 8705 Miles
    3- Leaking again - 12,994 Miles
    4- Sliding door motor replaced - 12,994 Miles
    5- Pass. Windw Motor replaced - 13,314 Miles
    6- Drvr window Motor replaced - 13,536 miles
    7- Leaking again - 13,536 Miles
    8- Leaking again - 13,745 Miles
    9- Leaking once again - 13,889 Miles

ANYONE SEE A PROBLEM HERE? hmmmmm GOD HELP ME PLEASEEEEEEEE ... NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER will I get another CHEVROLET PRODUCT AGAIN !!! AGGGGGG

Anyone else having these problems or is it just us?
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Ha any one had the thermostat replaced, if so what was approximate cost. It appears to be located on the right side if the engine.

Took the van out Saturday early am, and temp needle never got past the "10 o'clock " bar. If I turned the heater on, the needle went down.

However, yesterday it worked fine. Whether it was stuck in open, but resolved itself later.
  • njrussnjruss Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2000 Venture, 60k miles and have spent the last 2 months forwarding my paycheck to the dealer. The big problem to me is that the most costly things have been fuel tank related - not wear related. First we had to replace a fuel tank sensor ($495), then the gas cap (why?) and THEN the tank gasket ($400). Doesn't seem right, so I contacted GM. The customer service person was very friendly and agreed that the gas tank isn't wear related and would see what she could do. Ultimately, the "area rep" sais "60k miles?, sorry." The dealer also told me that the rear brake cylinder had to be replaced for another $400, but my local mechanic said it just needed a normal brake service for LOTS less. I am wondering if the dealer has caused each successive tank problem in servicing the previous one or if he knows what he is doing at all. Does GM give a hoot about it's quality as perceived in the market? GM, as promised, I am telling as many people as I can that you don't.
  • chris203chris203 Member Posts: 1
    hello, i am owner from a chevy van g30 year 1988. now i must register a receiver hitch. but the inspector need a document with the trailering specification to the van!
    from where can i order this paper? GM want not help me!!

2. i need a original owner manual to this car. who can help?

chris
  • arr2arr2 Member Posts: 6
    99 venture,42500 miles and head gasket goes. Service dept. guy says when I first brought it in and before even looking that it might be intake gasket, that's common. No gaskets going on an engine at 40 k should be common. Dealer says it's beyond warranty nothing they can do. Call G M tell problem to a polite young lady who says it's beyond warranty, no can help, that's G M policy. While having work done I had both sides of engine done. Mechanic tells me the intake gasket was ready to go also, and G M is putting in gaskets that arn't as good as they used to be. After warranty runs out no one want to take responsibility for the bad gaskets G M is putting in the 3.4 engine and maybe others. Big(and expensive)problem, no solution, except out of the customers pocket book, for me $614.
  • grapnelgrapnel Member Posts: 4
    it was the fuseable link
    all fixed now
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Anyone know how to adjust the windshield wipers so they will return to the resting position. Also, they sometimes touch when wiping. Thanks.
  • pld1pld1 Member Posts: 3
    Advice needed. I bought this van and I have not even made my first payment and already have troubles. Here is the problem. In the morning my van starts right up (very cold here) and I do plug it in and than I will drive to the store about 4mins away go to shop maybe 10min come out and the van will not start. It turns and sounds like it wants to start but will not. It has happened 3 times . First time I was towed to dealer and by the time we got there it started. Second time I let it sit, I walked home and than went back and it started. Today it happened again and now the van is at the dealers and they can not find anything wrong. I am upset and do not want to be left on the road with my kids. Has anyone had any problems like this? Please help? Thanks
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    Just a thought: I have a 2000 Alero with the famous GM security coded ignition key. On Occasion it will fail to start. I remove the key and wipe it off or turn it over and it will start. Surely the dealer would know this, as mine did. You might try the other key that came with the vehicle.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Sounds like it is a fuel system problem. If the engine is turning over and not firing the fuel lines may have water in from the cold temps.Or you may enough gas in the system to get you a few miles. Do you put that stuff in the tank to remove the water condensation ?

Have you been to the dealer. If they keep it inside the workshop it may not duplicate the problem.
  • dang3dang3 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a new Astro in 1995. I was so pleased over the years that I bought a 2003 Astro 2 weeks ago.
    One major problem......
    Chevy redesigned the sliding door open lock on the 2003 Astro vans. IT FEELS LIKE IT LOCKS IN THE OPEN POSITION, BUT IT WILL CLOSE WITH ONLY FINGER PUSHING PRESSURE APPLIED AT THE REAR OF THE DOOR. WHOEVER OWNS ONE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! HAVE SOMEONE HOLD THE DOOR OPEN WHILE ENTERING OR EXITING. IF ON A HILL THE DOOR WILL SLAM CLOSED FAST AND HARD.
    PLEAE BE CAREFUL.
    I contacted NHSA and ALSO filed a complaint with GM. The complaint number is #1-697668689. The dealer admitted that the new design sucks , but he cannot adjust or tweak it beyond the established Manual requirements. I understand his position.
    Please be careful out there.
    I just had the same problem again. The dealer changed the ignition wire as they assumed that was the problem. Now they are bringing a computer to hook up to the ignition so if the problem happens again it will record it. Of course I just hope it stays really cold so this happens again and they can solve this problem once and for all.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT HEADACHES. THE LATEST AT ONLY 47K IS THE FUEL PUMP. COST FOR PART ALONE IS OVER $500. I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING EXCEPT ENGINE/TRANS UNTIL NOW. IT APPEARS ENGINE IS LEAKING OIL AS WELL. I WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN BUY ANOTHER GM PRODUCT, PERIOD!!!IT IS A SHAME THAT GM NOT ONLY PUTS OUT A PRODUCT WITH CRUMMY FIT AND FINISH AND MECHANICAL PROBLEMS, BUT TO NOT HELP OUT THE CUSTOMERS WHO GET STUCK WITH COSTLY REPAIRS, NOT TO MENTION INEPT DEALERS WITH BAD ATTITUDES IS UNFORGIVABLE. UNFORTUNATELY, I CANNOT AFFORD ANOTHER VEHICLE AT THIS TIME SO I AM STUCK WITH REPAIR BILLS, BUT WHEN I CAN IT'S EITHER HONDA OR TOYOTA. GET IT GM, YOU ARE LOSING CUSTOMERS BY IGNORING THE CARDINAL RULE OF SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS PRACTICE: THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!
  • slimbo31slimbo31 Member Posts: 1
    My '97 Venture has 63000 miles on it,and has had the expected intake manifold gaskets replaced at 55000 miles because of an external coolant leak.
    Last week the "check engine" light came on (for the first time) while the car was idling.The engine was misfiring it seemed.I immediately took it to my trustworthy mechanic and his diagnosis after scanning was a failed injector.He had never heard of one failing
    at such low mileage.He said the intake plenum and gasket(s) would have to come off before he could change the injector.Well the van runs fine again,but I am resentful over both the intake gasket failure and this injector thing.Very costly repairs. Anyone else have injector failure?
    DRIVER SIDE WINDOW WAS NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY CAUSING MOTOR TO KEEP PUSHING WINDOW UP WHEN ALREADY ALL THE WAY UP. MENTIONED UNDER WARRANTY, SAID NO PROBLEM EVERYTHING OK. OUT OF WARRANTY NOW AND GUESS WHAT? YOU GOT IT, WINDOW FAILS DUE TO BENT UP REGULATOR. GEE, I WONDER HOW THIS HAPPENED. MUST BE OUR FAULT FOR USING THE WINDOW. COST APPROX 600.00. AFTER MUCH BACK AND FORTH HAGGLING CHEVY GOT GM TO PAY FOR 1/2 OF PART COST. SUCKS, BUT WHAT CAN THE LITTLE GUY DO AGAINST BIG CORPORATION. A FEW MONTHS LATER AND YOU GUESSED IT, THE DAMN WINDOW WON'T WORK AT ALL. BRING IT BACK AND THEY SAY IT'S NOW THE SWITCH.....OUR FAULT AGAIN FOR USING THE WINDOW AGAIN!!!!! COST APPROX 150.00. WHICH BRINGS US TO THE PRESENT TIME AND......HOLY COW, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUESSED RIGHT AGAIN, WINDOW STUCK IN DOWN POSITION....SERVICE MANAGER SAYS, "YOU REALIZE I HAVE TO CHARGE YOU TO LOOK AT THE PROBLEM. MAYBE THE MOTOR WENT BAD...."WHAT!!!!!" I'VE CALLED GM AND GET BUSY SIG OR MENU SELECTION LOOP TO NOWHERE. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO FIGHT GOLIATH!!!
  • dovchocdovchoc Member Posts: 1
    I recently traded my '99 Malibu on a 2000 Venture. When it got cold (as cold as it gets in FL), my Brake and Trak Off Lights came on. When the van warmed up, they went off. Eventually they stayed on until I hit my brakes hard. Now they are on all the time. Is anyone else having this problem? We just put $4900 into our Z28 (had to replace the entire rear end) and I am leary about taking this van to the dealer. Does anyone know if a typical brake service will help?
  • gregburrowgregburrow Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem where my 2002 Venture will not start when it is hot. The dealer seems to think the pass key system is cutting the fuel.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

Greg
    [email protected]
    the latest problem.....problems.....headlight lens cover fell off for 3rd time. once i was able to find the plastic lens and glue back on.(no more problems with that one. unfortunately the other one fell off on the road and you can't buy plastic lens. need to buy whole unit for $300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! found used one for $150 the first time and after approx 1 year lens falls off again. can you say cheap useless adhesive!!! just had new aftermarket one installed for over $200. apparently its a real pain in the a-- to install. rattling noise coming from under hood now.....may be water pump.....mechanic not sure. anyone considering any GM vehicle should seriously consider something else. i for one will never ever again buy another piece of cr-p GM vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! work under warranty was basically useless. parts failing after warranty that weren't properly fixed under warranty now are MY problem......why??? chevy repair shop manager had the nerve to tell me, " i see you never brought your car in here for regular service"!!!! WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH YOUR INCOMPETENCE AND THE FACT THAT MY CAR IS A PIECE OF JUNK!!!! interior parts failing constantly, headliner falling in again(supposedly repaired?? under warranty a few years ago. door panels falling off, plastic cover for sliding door runner falling off, windows rattle so bad they sound like they're falling off, power window gets hung up badly halfway up (should only be a few more months before this one, passenger side, mangles it's regulator just like it's sibling, driver's side did. oh btw, it took chevy service dept 3 tries to fix driver's side and three diff. problems??? cost me over $500. it never worked properly under warrany, but they couldn't seem to find this complaint in my "files". i, unfortunately could go on all damn day about this piece of junk!!!!!!!!!!! unfortunately not in my budget to dump this poor excuse for a vehicle or i would have done so a long time ago. the venture and chevy make me sick!!!!!!!!!!! please seriously consider anything else but this vehicle!!!!!!!!!!
  • bhoskinsbhoskins Member Posts: 9
    On my '97 Safari, the air will no longer come out of the vents whether using A/C or heater air, though it comes out of the defog vent instead, so I still do have cooling. Fan works fine.I know this will probably be an air door vac. diaphragm that has failed. I have taken off most of the panels around the heater box, cannot locate the blend air unit. Anyone know where it is and how to get to it ( the unit on the R.H.S. of the heater box is working fine )
  • riccd2001riccd2001 Member Posts: 12
    You are most likely experiencing a failed vacuum line "default mode."

A loose or broken part of the vacuum line / heater A/C control system will cause this default. The vacuum lines that fail most frequently are those near hot engine areas, firewall bends, and pinched lines (when re-installing doghouse, for example).
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    I hope that some of the experts here on this board can give me some advise for solving my problem with our 1998 Safari Van (about 52,000 miles on the clock).

The engine will start only after a lot of cranking once the vehicle was sitting in a warm garage for a few days. It almost feels like a vapor lock situation. Once the engine starts, it will run very rough and has not much power (like some cylinders are not firing), and the “Serve Engine Soon” indicator is blinking. After a short while, the engine runs fine, the indicator light goes from blinking to steady. After a few miles driving, and stopping at a store, and the vehicle sitting for a while, the motor starts just normal and the service light does not come on.
    Any idea what I should look for? Any advise is appreciated!
  • apmapm Member Posts: 11
    Triumpher, your start problems sounds like what I experienced on our '99 safari. We had the fuel pump tested and had good pressure. Mechanic found service bulletin no. 00-06-04-018 which states that fuel filler hose is made of a plastic that leeches onto the gasoline and gives you hard start and rough idle. I needed a new filler hose, a drained gas tank, and a cleaner for the fuel injectors (almost $500). Cured the problem. I never heard of such a thing before. surprised that it wasn't on an extended warranty. The bulletin says that this problem is present on various chev and gmc trucks from '97 thru '00.
  • toanjotoanjo Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I bought my venture in Jan of 2003 and it was brand new with 11 miles on it, I have already started arbitration for the lemon law.

The Major problem that NO ONE seems to know what it is, is the very rough idle, it seems as if it is missing a spark plug but the van runs GREAT with the A/C turned on but what will I do during the winter months? GM tells me there is no way to up the idle on this van, which seems to me it would correct the problem, true?

Now just in the past couple of days it seems to be spraying some type of fluid on the car when I first start it, it looks kind of like oil, and I will clean my windows and 5 mins later they are slimy and greays and very hard to see out of, anyone have any suggestions, the dealer is of NO help.

This was my FIRST new car purchase and WHOA what a ride I have been on.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks
  • beckys1beckys1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Venture; have had it to the shop for a syrupy smell when first starting it when the weather is cooler and the heater is needed and also the smell is present when we turn the temp dial from the coldest setting to a medium cool. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong the first time, the claimed there was some type of recall the second time, then the third time the claimed they fixed it and sprayed the interior of the van and probably the vents with some type of air freshner. Has anyone else come across the same problem. The van has @ 28,000 miles but smell has been around since day one. Also anyone having problems with the rear wiper and sprayer? Is the washer fluid supposed to run down the window or spray? Our's just runs down and doesn't clean the darn window at all!! Taking van in next week (8/27/03) for 4th time for heater and 2nd time for rear wiper. Any responses would be very, very helpful because van may not be here much longer!!!! Thank You
  • ravenrichravenrich Member Posts: 6
    My 2000 Chevy Vebture's left rear quarter window is stuck, however, the right rear quarter window is fine. Anyone experience similar problem...possible solution?
  • wstanderwstander Member Posts: 1
    This is our first ever minivan, replacing both a pickup truck and a 'New Beetle'. We needed a vehicle that we could travel in along with our dogs and their kennels. Ours is a standard length LS model, 7-passenger van.

My experience with our Venture LS has been very good. There were only 3 problems in the 2+ years and nearly 63,000 miles we have had it (we have owned it since new).

1. The HVAC control panel is some sort of electronic panel that went bad; dealer repaired under warranty. The only problem was the 2 week wait for the part. (about 44K)

2. The rear most seat latch was bent and had to be straightened. I cannot state whether it was defective from the dealership or if I damaged it. In any case, the dealer looked at it and had me return later when they could have more time. (about 50k)

3. At about 55k miles, the 'check engine' light came on. I verified all of the usual suspects (latches, gas cap, etc.). I took it to the dealer and they not only repaired the seat but diagnosed the engine light as a computer glitch. They downloaded and installed a software patch. This time I was charged $82, ostensibly for either the software fix or the seat fix...whatever...the car performs well and unlike others' experiences, I have had no other problems.

I have always had the oil changed every 3k, and replaced tires and brakes at 58k. The original tires were Firestone and we replaced them with Bridgestone. The Firestones lasted 58,000 miles, and were quite good for traction and noise, etc. On our first long trip, the car averaged 33MPG at 70-85MPH cruise; I average 23MPG in daily stop-and-go.
  • kidtotingmomakidtotingmoma Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Can anyone out there with this problem, help me? I only have 21,000 miles on my tires and the outside edge of the front right tire is almost bald. When I washed it the other day I also noticed that the not so shiny steel hub was much dirtier than the others. I noticed the unusual wear at the first tire rotation. The dealership checked the alignment and said it was fine, rotated and balanced the tires, and sent me home. Now I know it is not fine. I also had to have my front brakes replaced after only 21/2 years of wear. I am going to buy new tires for the front and I don't want to put them on until I know what to do....
  • bjaycenbjaycen Member Posts: 1
    I just tryed to start my Venture this morning and it does not turn over. The check engine light came on, all the guages went hay wire, the headlights dont come on, but the sterio and the lights inside the van work. Tried jumping the vehicle but that was not the issue. Any one see this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks-
  • jmarquettejmarquette Member Posts: 6
    The 'Service AWD' Warning Light went on in my '99 Chevy Asto van. I checked and added amost 1/2 quart of lubricant to the front axle and some to the rear axle. I disconnected the positive battery terminal. Then re-connected the battery, the 'Service AWD' light is still lit. I can also hear 4 clicks with I first turn the ignition key. Can anyone tell me how to shut the light off or help diagnose my problem?
    Thanks,
    JOEL
    I have had nothing but trouble with my van. Winter is coming and the van will start but once I drive to a store about 3mins away go in for 10min come out and try to start the van it turns over but will not start. Only happens in cold weather. I have had the van at the dealer last winter and they can not find the problem. Now the brakes are squeaking badly only 22,000km on the van. Big freak'in lemon. Anyone else had these problems. Anyone know about the not starting problem? Any good advice accepted. Post or contact me at [email protected]
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone have a problem with their front door power windows running slowly or dragging during operation? It is most noticeable in the early morning and on cold days. The motor has a strained sound during operation. I have a 2000 venture. I have checked with other repair sites and their remedy is to clean all power contacts with "contact spray" and lubricate all window tracks with silicone. This treatment does sound reasonable.
  • essikressikr Member Posts: 1
    No heat when the engine has idled for a while.The heat is OK during driving. The thermostat has been replaced and the engine temp reads normal. The fan will blow cold air after sitting at idle. Has anyone had the same experience? The van is an extended model with the Mark III package. Thanks for your help.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    Prestone Super Radiator Stop Leak, or Bars Leak, or something like that on the intake manifold leak? My 98 Malibu has a small leak (and I fear this for my 2003 Venture), and this stuff has worked on past cars.

Has anyone tried this?
  • sharon2sharon2 Member Posts: 1
    At 12000 miles I took my 1 year old 2003 Chevy Venture WB edition in for an oil change then left for a 3000 mile cross-country road trip from Wyoming to Pennsylvania. In Penn. the AWD disable light came on in the message center as well as the ABS light on start-up. The van had not been driven overnight and it was cool outside so this could not be an overheating problem. ... I also noticed when they changed my oil and rotated my tires that the oil reading was not in the 90's but in the 50's (in the odometer area) so who knows if they even changed it.

On a side note: The power door is much easier to open than the manual sliding door when iced over. The brakes started squeaking off and on at 500 miles. Everything else works great! Our 2 small kids and my husband love the DVD player. The leather/cloth combo seats were very comfortable to travel in with just enough cup holders. We have been able to use all types of infant & child car & booster seats in all 2nd and 3rd row locations with ease.
  • acudoctariacudoctari Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there with a conversion van?
    I would like to know more about this elusive
    and land yacht.
  • bconkelbconkel Member Posts: 2
    The 2 major items are water pump and radiator.
    1. If it overheats more when you are working it hard, like prolonged speed or towing, a plugged or restricted radiator can be the culprit.
    2. If it tends to heat up when running slow, in traffic etc., the water pump may be getting worn. However, it also,usually leaks out of the weep hole, because the pump bearing is bad.
    3. Even though you are in a warm climate, be sure to run 50/50 antifreeze to water ratio. The antifreeze increases the cooling efficiency. But too extreme from 50/50 mix will undo the effect.
    4. Heaven forbid, a bad head gasket can also make it run hot by letting exhaust gasses into the coolant.
    Good luck
  • geethangeethan Member Posts: 1
    HI,

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 2001 VENTURE. THE FAN KICKS BY ITSELF AND KEEPS RUNNING TILL THE BATTERY DRAINS. I TOOK IT TO A LOCAL REPAIR SHOP, AND HE CHARGED ME $250. HE SAID HE CHANGED A FEW RELAYS, BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE. SOMETIMES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, I GO TO MY GARAGE AND I HEAR THE FAN RUNNING. CAN SOMEONE HELP MY MECHANIC, BECAUSE HE HAS NO CLUE AND CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM. HOWEVER EVERY MORNING WHEN HE CHECKS THE CAR THE BATTERY IS DEAD. HE SUGGESTS THAT I BUY A NEW BATTERY.
  • toocheaptoocheap Member Posts: 2
    Slimbo:
    How did your Venture feel/sound with the failed injector? I suspect a failed injector in my 96 Astro (135K miles), but I don't know how to diagnose it for sure. It coughs on & off at highway speed and shows no diagnostic trouble codes. I have recently replaced my fuel filter, my fuel pump, and my camshaft position sensor (after I got a code for it).
  • lloydllloydl Member Posts: 7
    Well, I have just purchased a used 1993 G20 "MarkIII" conversion van for my son. In the process I had to learn a whoe new world of info and terms. And specificiations, etc.
    Maybe I can offer some insights ...
  • lloydllloydl Member Posts: 7
    I would go to your local trailer/RV dealers and get that info from them. They should have it in a form suitable for the inspector. I believe The actual capacity of your G30 will be on the order of 5,000-6,000 lb depending on engine.

Here is a website that references towing information (2d para):

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/towingtips/a/aa040501a.htm

Notice if you follow the link to "Trailer Life" that you can secure older model specs from the company ... via email.
  • isturzuisturzu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Chevy Venture LS and I experience this problem:

whenever I turn left, the ABS warning pops up, but ABS is still working.

Can anybody help me in this problem?

Thank you.
  • 2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    All right sports fans, here is another gremlin in the 98 Venture. My wife ran up to the movie store and when she came home, she said the oil pressure light came on. I checked the oil, it was fine, took it for a spin, no problems. The airbag light and the seat belt light come on occasionally, but there is no pattern to any of this. Are these vehicles just plagued with a short problem?? Any help appreciated
  • mrwehnermrwehner Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Chevy Venture, bought new. We have a leak in the intake manifold and a hole in the condenser. Our mechanic says it shouldn't be happening and that GM knows but they will not help us. Has anyone else had these problems?
  • mwcoxmwcox Member Posts: 13
    Be aware that GM has a TSB for the Astro, amongst others, for failing fuel injectors. They extended the warranty for 10 years. I don't remember 'where' I found it, but, I'm sure you can find the info on a search engine site or at the NHTSA website.
This discussion has been closed.