Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Owner Experiences

Comments

• Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Iowa is correct. There's a rev limiter on all new cars and trucks. I don't know what the rev limiter is set at on your Hemi. The theoretical maximum RPM on that Hemi motor is likely not much more than the 5800 Iowa stated, although I would've guessed it a little higher.

Mopar motors have a long and distinct history of staying together when the RPMs are up. I hope that the tradition is still vibrant at Chrysler nowadays. But since the 5.7 Hemi is being used in some prototype high horsepower versions, I suspect the Hemi is tolerant of higher than 6500 RPM and still staying together.

I know of one 4.7 (287) motor that has 80K on it and has been thoroughly trashed. The motor still sounds like it was new.

Welcome to the forum!

Best regards,

Dusty
  • Options
    tfudertfuder Member Posts: 36
    I introduced myself on the board last year, with my '94 standard cab, short bed, 5.9L customized Ram. At the time, I said I'd get it a paint job and try to run it for anothe 50K miles befor upgrading to an '04 or '05 quad cab.

Well, so much for plans. I still have my '94 (although it's up for sale), but I was made an offer I could no refuse on a family member's 2002 Quad Cab (5.9L V8, light silver, slate cloth interior, SLT Plus trim level, 4x4, Sport package, aftermarket sunroof, 17" wheels, towing package). It had 15K miles on it, and I paid $15K for it.

I parked it next to my '94, and it's like father and son - it is SOOOO much bigger than my old truck. I sit much higher, and although it was 'too big' for my relative, it fits me like a glove. I've only had it for about a week, and could not be happier.

Even better, I get about 1mpg better gas mileage, both in town and on the road than I did with my '94 - I'll assume it's because of advances in engine technology and aerodynamics - because it should, theoretically be getting *less* mileage, as it's a 4x4 and heavier.

The engine is the same power as my old truck, but much, much quieter (since the '94 had flowmaster with dual exhaust on it, and this one is stock).

Anyway, enough gushing for now. Welcome, newcomers to the board. I hope I won't need to pester dustyk for any help with the 'new' truck, either!

Todd
  • Options
    mgilliammgilliam Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at buying a 98 Ram 1500 Sport Quad cab with 106,000 Power everything. What is some of your comments about it. Have you had good look. Anything we need to watch out for. I am really looking forward to this truck.
  • Options
    emilemil Member Posts: 2
    how do I turn off the maintenance required light using simple tools
  • Options
    myrammyram Member Posts: 1
    My name is Allen, Columbus, Ohio, and have a 2004 RAM 1500, 4x4, HEMI, Quad Cab. It is great! I hope to do some performance upgrades to it after it is broken in. Hope to pick up ideas in this group.
  • Options
    lukeduke3lukeduke3 Member Posts: 1
    simple... just get a 10 mm socket or wrench. disconnect and reconnect your battery cable. as for "permanantly turning it off", well a small piece of black tape always works for me.
    best regards,
    - :shades: luke duke
  • Options
    blue78669blue78669 Member Posts: 5
    hi,
    im bob, i have a 94 dodge ram 1500 pickup and a 2001 quad cab,im changing the spark plugs right now, but im having trouble getting the leads off , :confuse: ive already pulled 1 wire apart any one got any idies...thanks bob.
  • Options
    ;) well i figured it out. hi bob again my problem was with #5 spark plug wire ,take of the air filter caseing, then get a screw driver between the heat sheild and the plug boot, lever up with the screwdirver and pop off it comes.
  • Options
    hi rick ,the worst 2 are on the drivers side, i used 3/8 short extension connected onto my plug socket with a 3/8universal coupling connected to my rachet, its a bit of a tight fit, but it can be done good luck, :) and use gloves.
  • Options
    well im another dodge ram 1500 1994 owner ,120,000+ mls not 1 bit of a problem just now changing the spark plugs, i had some oxidization on the hood and roof,
    just happened to pick up somemagures 3 step . fantastic, highly recomended looks like new...bob

:)
  • Options
    hemibillhemibill Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to this site. My truck has only 3700 miles on it and has bunches of power. But it seems like it doesnt want to really take off until it shifts to 2nd gear. Is my trans messed up? I have heard that the computer doesn't really "wake up" the engine until 5000 miles. Can someone enlighten this new hemi owner?
    Thanks
    Bill
    2005 Ram 5.7hemi
  • Options
    mizzusmacmizzusmac Member Posts: 2
    Hi am new to the board, name is Linda, married to a medic over in Iraq. I need some info on towing. I am debating on which I should get a 2 horse bumper pull trailer or a 2 horse gn trailer. I would be trailering about 2000 pounds of horses ( 2 @1000 each or less). I was told I could safely pull a gn trailer as long as it wasn't up and down steep hills or the mountains. I was told it is easier to pull a gn than a bumper pull. Anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks for the assistance it is appreciated.
    Linda Mac :shades:
  • Options
    kennethm1kennethm1 Member Posts: 12
    is there anyone out there that has a 2005 ram 1500 V6 that could report on the fuel consumption in the city and on the highway. i would like feedback from people that drive where things are pretty flat. i live in south florida. it is a regular cab short bed (construction crew model i refer to it as) and my experience in the past is they don't quite get what the big mpg numbers on the sticker price states it should average. sticker say 16 city 21 hwy. a friend of mine has a ford 8 cly and averaged 17 going to atlanta. i hope that with my 6 banger will at least get the 19 mark on the hwy and 15 in the city. i haven't taken it on a road trip to see what it gets but so far i am only getting 13 city i am assuming when people figure their fuel economy they to calculate it having run the air conditioner like i did in the city and will do when i calculate my mpg when i take the highway road trip. i assume most people do but just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. anxiously awaiting your replies.
  • Options
    mgrammgram Member Posts: 4
    19 Hwy, 15 city is about what I get with my Hemi.
    2wd, quad cab, 3.92 rear end. I don't use the a/c much, but it is hilly here (Atlanta).
  • Options
    fulletonfulleton Member Posts: 2
    Hey... I have a 94 short bed V8 Magnum 4X4 with about 157000 on it. It seems as though I am having the same problem as the one you described. Have you found out what the problem was? If so, please let me know as I am a poor Active Duty Air Force member that cant afford a brand new transmission. Please help! Thanks a lot. ~Roy
  • Options
    jbick3434jbick3434 Member Posts: 1
    Hi..new to the site, but interested in your opinions. What do you think of the new Daytona Ram Truck? I think its great, especially in GoManGo, but a lot of people I talk to say its over the top, over done. I'm thinking possible collectors truck.. put it away..
  • Options
    I'm not sure I've seen one. If it's anything like the SRT, I think it'll be great.

It was only a few years ago that the only high performance trucks you'd see around here were F150 Lightnings. Now I see an SRT almost every second trip.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    alangstonalangston Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 2004 1500 HEMI THAT YESTERDAY DECIDED TO GO CRAZY. I WAS DRIVEING BACK FROM A TRIP WHEN ALL MY DASH INSTRUMENTS QUIT WORKING AND MY HEADLIGHTS AND TAILLIGHTS CAME ON WITHOUT THE SWITCH ON. THE TRUCK RAN FINE, JUST NO INSTRUMENT GUAGES, WINDSHIELD WIPERS, TAILLIGHTS, STOPLIGHTS, FLASHERS, HIGH BEAMSOR HORN. MY RADIO, POWER WINDOWS & MIRRORS, POWER PLUGS AND HEATER BLOWER WORKED FINE. JUST BEFORE ALL THIS WENT WRONG I HAD UNPLUGGED MY CELL PHONE FROM THE POWER CORD ADAPTOR. I NEED HELP BEFORE I HAVE TO CARRY IT TO THE DEALER, SO I CAN BE SURE WHAT THEY TELL ME IS CORRECT.
    THNAKS,
    ALLEN
  • Options
    shoupshoup Member Posts: 2
    Mine did that, I have a 94 1500 long bed with a 157000 miles on it. I changed the trans fluid and it has never done it since. Unfortunately though I am selling it for 3K I am leaving the truck family, because I ordered my 06 Dodge Charger Daytona on the 7th of June. So I am a little excited about that. Actually a lot. :shades:
  • Options
    shoupshoup Member Posts: 2
    On the 94 I found the problem, with the idiot light. Just reset it like luke said. What it is, is that some of these trucks came with a trasmission cooler sensor and if you don't have the tow package you dont have it. So at some point when all the conditions are met that would trip the sensor the MIL light comes on. Unfortunately he says the only way to fix it fix it is to have the Prom reprogrammed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I will stick to the old socket and battery cable theory.
  • Options
    flightdoc13flightdoc13 Member Posts: 1
    New to the forum and just picked up my new 2005 1500 quad cab SW, 5.7hemi, 20inch rims, infinity surround, 6-cd changer, etc......I'm in the Army in Germany (autobahn) and am still in the break-in phase (no more than 60mph) for about another 100 miles or so. Man, that sucks!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I absolutely love the truck, the power and torque is un-BELEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!! and thats from just barely getting it at below 60mph. My question is, the hemi is strong/powerful and already has that throaty/deep sound a little to the engine with a stock single out muffler/pipe. I have been researching companies for the best cat-back, dual exhaust out back, chrome tip exhaust system to give it that more throaty, deep, smooth sound..Anyone have any fav's out there??? I am thinking about a MAGNAFLOW cat-back dual exhaust....
  • Options
    newdodgeguynewdodgeguy Member Posts: 1
    I would stick with a bumper pull for your 1500, although a GN is easier to maneuver. However more trailer = more weight. You will need to look at your weight maximums on both the GN and BP options. Make sure if you get a BP you have a bumper that is rated above the tongue weight of your trailer. Also I would HIGHLY suggest you get trailer brakes for either choice.

One last note... If you have a short box truck and go with a GN, you will need to get one with a tapered nose. If you get one with a square nose you may run into clearance issues between the trailer and cab that may result in damage to both truck and trailer.

Tay
  • Options
    kilsterkilster Member Posts: 55
    I have fixed this problem on a couple trucks. What is happening is that your truck is losing commucation with the controllers. If you unplug the connector on your ABS Module and take out the blue insert and tap on it you will find that water has made it in to the connector. The fix is replacing the ground wire to the connector and replacing the pigtail harness for the connector. This has fixed the ones i've have seen.
  • Options
    dodger8dodger8 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the split Between Dodge's St. Louis and Warren assembly facilities for the Dodge Ram 1500?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The majority of 1500 Quads come from St. Louis. Regular cabs come from Warren or Saltillo for the kost part, and there aren't many of those made at all any more.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    viperman1500viperman1500 Member Posts: 12
    hi karen. My name is Mike and i just bought a 2003 1500 quadcab 4x4 and love it . ....but i am a little worried about some of the problems the other dodge owners are having e.g tranny ,heater core, I did notice that these problems were with earlier models will i have the same mis-fortune with mine or is it mostly a lack of maint. i hope not cause i love this truck. also why is everybody talking about mexico manufacturing the truck compared to st.louis? p.s my brother in-law is looking to buy a dodge as well . well got to go thank-you so much and im glad i found this site ...thanx a bunch
  • Options
    The automatic transmissions used in Dodge trucks are tough, reliable units. Keep in mind that these are problem boards, so what you're not hearing is from the hugh majority that aren't having a problem.

If you maintain the transmission correctly (regular fluid & filter changes), use the correct ATF (Dexron-Mercon should NEVER be used), and don't exceed the vehicles load specifications that transmission has a higher mathematical change of lasting longer that an equivalent from another manufacturer. The 545RFE transmission you've got in your RAM has already developed a reputation for being extremely reliable.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    69sixpack69sixpack Member Posts: 1
    Karen,
    I am 69sixpack and have 04 Viper and 04 SRT10 short bed, 05 Rumble Bee etc.
    Can you help with 06 SRT10 information? I don't see any on dealer's lots and perhaps this is the last year. The 4:56 rear end ratio on the 06 plus some new features might be worth putting in my 'hanger'.

Thanks,
  • Options
    loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Hey, Viper! I've got an '03 2500 quadcab 4x4 and have only had one problem that wasn't just wear - I let the diesel fuel get too cold and gel one day - you won't have that problem. Other'n that, my truck has been trouble free. Your's should be the same.
  • Options
    HI DUSTY MY NAME IS MIKE AND JUST PURCHACED A 2003 QUAD CAB ,RUNS GREAT BUT NOTICED TODAY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON .TOOK IT TO THE DEALER HE REPLACED THE O2 SENSOR AND THE VAC LEAK DETECTOR DROVE GREAT FOR 5 MILES THEN BAM THE LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN. ITS GOING BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP TOMORROW ANY POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE?? P.S. ITS NOT BLINKING SO AT LEAST THATS GOOD NEWS FOR THE CAT CONVERTER ...JUST CONCERENED ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS.....
  • Options
    HEY THANKS LONCRAY MINE RUNS GREAT I LOVE IT BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON ...TOOK IT TO THE DEALER HE REPLACED THE O2 SENSOR AND THE VAC LEAK DETECTOR ..DROVE 5 MILES AND IT CAME BACK ON ...ITS GOING BACK TOMORROW ANY SUG. ON WHAT COULD BE GOING ON P.S ITS NOT BLINKING SO THATS GOOD NEWS FOR NOW THANKS
  • Options
    hotvfrhotvfr Member Posts: 4
    Aloha I'm Jonathan,
    I just picked up a 1999 Ram 2500 Quad-Cab SLT Laramie Sport 4X4 with a V10 and a lift. I have some issues to track down like minor light problems, rear-end popping in reverse, and an intermittent but bad front left wheel shake at low speeds. Any help that can be provided relating to repair / aftermarket parts, or any info will be much appreciated.
    Jonathan
  • Options
    acarguyacarguy Member Posts: 1
    I notice there are no new posts about the Daytona since June. I bought one in May and positively love it. I do have some technical questions tho. I can't get Dodge to tell me if there are any numbers for the HP. I assume the exhaust (semi-dual) would raise it some, but I wondered if they did anything else to the motor. Also, I added long-tube headers and cold air induction which obviously added horsepower, but, again, no help from Dodge on how much. My other question is how many Daytonas were built in '05. Mine is #1468 (on a cool dash plaque.) How many others are out there?????
  • Options
    bonez59lbonez59l Member Posts: 4
    I just bought my first New Vehicle which happens to be a 2005 Ram 2500.

I own a small delivery service and use this truck for the transportation of boats R/Vs and the like.

It is well equiped with the 5.9 L Cummins High out put Turbo Diesel.
    612 Ft LBS of Tourqe to the ground and 400 horses under the hood after the Intake and Egusaust.

^ Speed manual Tranny That is as smooth as you please.
    Enough power to almost scare you if you aren't towing anything and decide to lay on the gas for a bit of a joy ride.

Never lost any Power on its First trip out ...
    Took a 21 Ft Ski boat weighing in at around 7,000 lbs with 600 lbs of a desk in the bed From Dallas Texas to Al New Mexico ,Then On up to Orville Washington 4 Miles south of the Canadian Border.

Stayed in 6th gear the entire Hwy trip,Never once had to down shift...In Fact I had to harness the power to keep from speeding up the Mountains.

Handled wonderfuly as it is a short bed Quad which was a real surprize considering the leanght of the Boat.

And to add the Icing to this great tasting Cake...I got an over all Fuel average between 16.9 and 17.1 mpg at 63 MPH.

I am a New Dodge Fan as of this entire discovery...I am very Impressed..
    Great Truck....Very Good buy at 28,000.00$

Scott
  • Options
    kaiser1kaiser1 Member Posts: 4
    I had a experience close to yours. March 18, my 2004 king cab Dodge left me sitting by the road. My check gauges light came on and then cut off. I had it picked up. Now the dealership will not fix it. They called me and said unless I provided them with reciepts for all oil changes. We have had the truck in the shop 2 other times for electrical problems. My husband bought the truck when he came home from a year in Iraq. Now he is in North Dakote with the military. And the dealership is giving me the run around. If you have any luck or know any information to help me please let me know. Desperate in Georgia. I really need help dealing with the dealership. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Thank you, Kay
  • Options
    had a experience close to yours. March 18, my 2004 king cab Dodge left me sitting by the road. My check gauges light came on and then cut off. I had it picked up. Now the dealership will not fix it. They called me and said unless I provided them with reciepts for all oil changes. We have had the truck in the shop 2 other times for electrical problems. My husband bought the truck when he came home from a year in Iraq. Now he is in North Dakote with the military. And the dealership is giving me the run around. If you have any luck or know any information to help me please let me know. Desperate in Georgia. I really need help dealing with the dealership. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Thank you, Kay
  • Options
    I had a experience. March 18, my 2004 king cab Dodge left me sitting by the road. My check gauges light came on and then cut off. I had it picked up. Now the dealership will not fix it. They called me and said unless I provided them with reciepts for all oil changes. We have had the truck in the shop 2 other times for electrical problems. My husband bought the truck when he came home from a year in Iraq. Now he is in North Dakote with the military. And the dealership is giving me the run around. If you have any luck or know any information to help me please let me know. Desperate in Georgia. I really need help dealing with the dealership. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Thank you, Kay
  • Options
    crawfish3crawfish3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone I just bought a 276c (799.99) out the door w/free waranty and 2 years shipping (getfeetwet dot com)

anyway, i would like to do a semi permanent indash installation of this unit in replacement of where the orginal radio is. I am alsovplanning to relocate the raido.

anyway, has anyone tried to do this before?
    what are your remarks on doing this kind of a project?

your help will be morethan apreciated

Thanks
  • Options
    sonny4sonny4 Member Posts: 1
    KarenS,

I'm a current Chevy guy, but wanted to upgrade to the Cummings Diesel powered Ram 2500. I drive over 25000 miles per year, and pulling a boat kills my 5.3L even with exhaust, intake, and programmer upgrades. I was going to wait until the 2007 Ram 2500 comes out due to reading on Dodge's website about the 3500 Chassis Cab being supplied with a new 6 speed automatic transmission, with a 6.7 liter diesel option in lieu of 5.9 liter currently used in 2500 line. I just wanted to see if anyone had information regarding an upgrade in auto-transmission of 2500 line in 2007 model? Don't care if it comes with 5.9 or 6.7 diesel, just wanted more gears in the auto to assist with heavy towing and MPG. ANYONE?
  • Options
    moodygnemoodygne Member Posts: 1
    What is the best oil to use in my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 diesel? Cummings recomends valvoline15w- 40w. I was told Rotella T is what to use, I don't know.
  • Options
    ddf1ddf1 Member Posts: 18
    I just read an article that Dodge is talking about a six-speed automatic by Aisin-Seiki in "Diesel Power" Dodge is calling it the AS68RC. Ratios are 3.74:1 (first), 1.96:1 (second), 1.34:1 (third), 1.00:1 (fourth), 0.77:1 (fifth), 0.63:1 (sixth), and 3.54 (reverse). It also talked about a 6.7 L cummins ISB motor.
  • Options
    Correct on both. The 6.7L Cummins is an enlarged 5.9, and the Aisin automatic will be used in the new chassis/cab models. The 2500/3500 pickups will get a 6.7 with a bit more hp than the chassis/cabs, and a Mopar 68RE 6-speed automatic to replace the current 48RE.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    ford2kford2k Member Posts: 5
    Hello ford2k on this end.
    I am hopping that there is a fix for the dash on my truck.
    the truck is a 2001 2500 4x4. The dash on the passengers side split straight from the bottom of the window to the panel over the air bag.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    help!!! :confuse:
  • Options
    crash11crash11 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there. I would love to see a Club for Ram 1500 Daytona owners. I an new to the site and have found limited info on this truck. ..........I will keep looking in case I missed something.

Thanks!
  • Options
    hemigalchrishemigalchris Member Posts: 1
    New to this site, heard about from another friend. Member of Dodge Truck World.com. See alot of interesting things here!!!

Chris
  • Options
    Welcome aboard - hope you become a regular poster :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    stoyebstoyeb Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I am about to spend $40K+ on a truck and trying to decide which will be the best truck.. Ford F250 crew cab 6.0 powerstroke or the Dodge equivelant, 2500 crew cab with the cummins engine..
    Will be using it for alot of highway miles(commute) but will be using it for heavy work on the farm too, along with towing a trailer with tractors and equipment on it...
    I have been a Ford truck owner forever, but it really seems like the cummins engine is really reliable..
    If anyone has any input good or bad for either of these trucks I would appreciated..
    thanks in advance,
    Brad
  • Options
    ford2kford2k Member Posts: 5
    There are pro and cons to both trucks. I have owned both.
    Dodge with the 6 cyl. this engine has one more main bearing then the V series engine. this is good for long life. on the other hand the V 8 has alot of quick response time at a lower and higher rpm.
    the Ford engine has alot of electrical equipment that can and do go wrong. the Dodge has some what of the same equipment but history proves the inline can give you alot of hard work with fewer problems. After you buy a truck really check out all of the power boosting gizzmoess that you can buy. there are alot of snake oil sales people out there. The best thing for a boost on any engine is allowing the engine to breath in and out for maximum proformance.
    Hope that I helped you.
    Greg.
  • Options
    dmueckedmuecke Member Posts: 2
    Go get it, I recently purchased a 1997 Dodge Ram! I bought it from a police officer in town. It had 97k miles on it and needed some work. I removed all of the after market junk and polished the truck. Tuned it up and replaced the front end components. Sense then, I have put 18k miles on the truck and I am learning that Dodge knows how to build a great truck. The ride is smooth and the gas consumption was better then my 1991 K-5 Chevy Blazer. But that is no mystery! I took the kids and my girl friend on a long trip of 3k mile just last week. The only down fall, was that all the bodies inside the truck, in the hot south Texas sun. Well it was cool but not cold! That is my story and I bought a great truck! I think you will be pleased. :)
  • Options
    dmueckedmuecke Member Posts: 2
    The plastic trim on my front bumper of my 1997 Dodge Ram is loose. I like the look of the sport front end on the 1999 year model Ram. The fenders are the same on both trucks! So would this front end assembly fit on my 1997 Dodge Ram? The grill/Bumper assembly! It just looks tough!
This discussion has been closed.