Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    Yes, be careful closing those trunk lids. I think every used Miata I looked at had a couple of outward pointing dings in the trunk lid.
    Yorba - If you are talking about the MR2 Spyder, I think the passenger seat is obviously your only solution. But the second generation MR2 trunk would easily swallow two reasonably sized golf bags.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    True but they are very small, and intrude far less than in most cars.

Keep in mind these are sports cars, folks.

-juice
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    Wow, are Miata's ever cheap right now in Toronto! Could it be because of this horsepower thing? Anyway, if you're in Canada and looking, check it out.
  • My Friend just left the country for a family emergency and left me the keys to his 99 Miata. He asked me to fix it up as he is kind of an idiot and does not take care of his car. The problems are 1. The car won't start and the alarm will sound when I try to start it, (he says the battery needs to be replaced) so we can only push start it. I started and ran the car (not just idling but driving) for an hour and the battery still did not start the car.
    2. The left taillamp plastic cover is broken, I need to get that replaced, any estimates on how much on JUST the plastic cover.
    3. Driver's side mirror is cracked. The mirror itself and the outside plastic is cracked. The power mirror motor seams to be fine. Do I need a full replacement or can I just get the mirror and the outside plastic separately and cheaply? Any estimates?
    Thank you
    I would not run the car if the battery is dead. The alternator will try to charge it, and it could be dangerous. Get a new battery. Westco batteries are $80 at any of several vendors (try Miata.net and visit the vendors page).

You can find a salvage yard that specializes in Mazdas, or just hit the local junk yard for that lens you want. I found a latch for my center console at the junk yard - piece of cake.

Again, for #3 I would hit the junk yard. It will cost you next to nothing and you can get only the things you need.

-juice
  • bigbozerbigbozer Posts: 22
    The Miata has a special battery. It cannot be recharged if it has become dead. However, if it is just low it will re-charge beautifully. I still have the original battery on my 1994 Miata. Once I forgot the dim lights on (despite warning buzzer). When I returned the battery would not start the car. I pushed started it. The next morning the car started just fine and has done so ever since. I have left the car un-started for up to 15 days with the battery still holding the current. I would not advise any Miata owner to let the car sit for more than that without hooking the battery to a trickle charger. A friend of mine let hers' sit for a month and it went dead. She got a new one from WestCo. You can get one also from a MAZDA dealer.

A person who does not take good care of his sports car does not deserve to own it.
    I recently purchased a set of four new Toyo Proxes TS-1 tires for $450 on the road incl. balancing and mounting for my 1994 Miata. The handling has improved tremendously! I can take corners with a recommended speed (yellow sign boards) of 35 MPH at almost 70MPH without any problems and complete confidence. The grip is the same - whether driving on wet or dry roads! Of course the Toyos cost twice as much, but I wanted the best for my Miata. If you are going to do a lot of twisty roads driving at high speeds you had better have the best gripping tires! Cheaper or tires with a lesser grip can land you in a difficult situation at the wrong time on a curve.
  • davidb72davidb72 Posts: 174
    The review on Miata.Net recommends the Westco battery. It seems that the original was made by Panasonic, but Mazda dealers will sell you a replacement that is a wet cell and not a gel cell. This is important because of the location of the battery and the poor venting it provides. Good luck.
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    the '99 with the almost dead battery, may have one of the "new" mazda lead acid batteries insted of the good "old" gel batteries. do not replace with a mazda battery, as they only stock these dangerous wet acid batteries. westco is the way to go. $75 to $80 shipped to your soor in three days. go to miata.net.

i'll second the suggetsion for the junkyard. find the biggest one in your area or find one that specializes in imports. you'll probably have to do a little searching. there's also a used wholesaler/retailer on the web for mazda's. they're on maiata.net too. do not go to the dealer for these body parts. you will be shocked by the prices. i would guess $80 to $100 for the rear lense and they probably won't part out the mirror, so figure $300 to $400.

while you're at it get the oil changes and rotate the tires. if your firned is that much of a bonehead, then the miata probably needs it.

one question, though. you say the alarm goes off??? the battery can't be completely dead, but probably close enough to warrant a new one. and one more... who gets an alrm put in without an ignition kill feature?? you shouldn't be able to start the car with the alarm going off. i'd upgrade.

my opinions.

ace
    Bigbozer: what size are those Toyos?

-juice
    The Toyos are 195/55/14.
    Hmm, those would fit on my rims...

I have a lot of tread left on the current ones, but it never hurts to start researching early.

-juice
  • In the market for a fun vehicle - got the family sedan already. Anyone think a guy 6'2" can do a Miata?
    Depends on how long your legs are. I'm 6' even, about 210 lbs, and my 30" inseam is a very tight fit. If you have long legs, you may not be happy for long.

The best way to tell is to try it out. Maybe even test drive a used one for at least 15 minutes, and see if you can stay comfy.

I'm such a tight fit that I take my wallet out of my back pocket, and can't wear boots! Small shoes are a must for me!

-juice
  • I don't typically make product recommendations, but yesterday I used the Meguiars' #17 cleaner, then Meguairs #10 polish on the vinyl back window (for 90-97). This stuff seems to have removed most of the fine scratches and did a great job in removing a light blurry haze, a transparent window - what a concept. You guys with the glass windows, consider yourself lucky!
  • wdrauchwdrauch Posts: 22
    .... on a '01 Miata. I'm looking at this as a second vehicle, so I don't want a bunch of extras. I'm thinking of a base model, 5-speed, and suspension package. Does anyone know if an upgraded chip will be offered later to get back to 155hp? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    put the $17K or $18 for a 2001 base model, and save $5K to $9 and get a cherry '94 to '97. for $10K you could find a very nice '95 with some extras, including limited slip diff and a/c, stereo etc...

the first generation miatas top out at about $15K for a loaded '97 M ed. or STO.

as for a chip.... highly unlikely. i don't think that a single one has ever been produced, even for the first gen. miatas that does anything but screw up the fuel delivery and mess with the power curves.

as an added feature to picking up an earlier one, you will have access to many more power modifications.

the miata is a very dependable car, with very sound mechanical systems. the used market is an excellent alternative to paying for a new one, especially when it will be used only as a second car.

my opinions.

ace
  • skaseskase Posts: 2
    He fredy_I,

I just purchased about a month ago used '96 with 37000 kilometers for 14250$CAN. Base model no options. Never winter driven. So far I love it.
    I bought it in the Toronto area.
  • davidb72davidb72 Posts: 174
    Last September I bought a 1997 M Miata with 15,000 miles on it for around $16,000. The only problem I've had so far is that I haven't had a chance to drive it enough. Other than that it's great. I chose used because I prefer the M1 body style (flip up lights). But to each his own, you can't go wrong either way...
  • skaseskase Posts: 2
    Hello all,

My trunk wont open, all of a sudden, and its not a frozen lock. I did load up the trunk recently and forced it just slightly, and now this. Any ideas or suggestions if I can get inside any other way?

DESPERATE