Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    eka1eka1 Member Posts: 41
    Kellysim you need to get a life!!!!!!
  • Options
    dollar_savvydollar_savvy Member Posts: 4
    So I bought the demo model with 6k miles here in Northern CA.
    I finally believe that the term "Car salesman " should be a cuss word after trying to buy this model from the honda $tealers in the SFO bay area.
    One of them sleazball really irked me. I had repeatedly confirmed that I was talking about buying it based on invoice price and he assured me that he will not lose my business on price. Well that was for sure right. He lost my business based on his stupidity and greed. I drove about an hour to get to his location and while my wife and I are trying to ecide on a color he comes and tells me since they are the only $teeler who has these models that they will only work on MSRP.
    I walked out of there within 2 minutes. :mad:
    Anyways similar stories at all the $teelers in bay area and I am surprised that none of the guys had this in stock and was ready to work on the price.

Finally my wife saw this demo model with 6k miles but fully loaded with all the accessories and the color we both liked. After going back and forth a few times we settled on $38k + tax /lic. The truck has all the accessories that you can select on honda website, and if I add the list price on all of them it comes to about $4100.
    So the MSRP on the car is about $45k invoice price is $40k.
    The warranty extends to 42k miles so I am happy about that.

Did I get a good deal???
  • Options
    idmdidmd Member Posts: 23
    I'm eagerly and wholeheartedly trying to purchase my first Honda after being a longtime Toyota fanboy but there is no one in my area who has anything in stock that is remotely close to what I want. Looking for an 09 AWD Pilot Touring with Nav/DVD in either of the grays with black interior.

Is there a shortage of 2009 due to 2010 coming soon?
  • Options
    karshakarsha Member Posts: 7
    sonup2000 - may I ask where you purchased your EX-L with RES?

Thanks so much.
  • Options
    sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    Nardy Honda in smithtown, ny. Sales person was Henry Schwartz
  • Options
    mamaradiomamaradio Member Posts: 1
    Im in Dallas too... can you tell me where you shopped? Im having a hard time narrowing down all these dealers!! Ay yai yai!! :)
  • Options
    karshakarsha Member Posts: 7
    sonup2000 - thanks so much. I'm in Westchester, but your price is much better than what I've received so far. Hope you're enjoying your new Pilot.
  • Options
    I was offered a 2009 AWD Touring w/ Nav & Res. Car was a demo and has 13K. There are a few minor blemishes in the paint but nothing big. Dealer proposed $35,500 for car including the remaining 3/36 B-2-B and an extended Honda Certified 7/100K power train. I told them 35K was too high as people are getting new pilots for that amount. He countered with they are scarce at the moment which I will concede seems to be true. What do you think is a fair number for the value of the demo? Do I give anything up other than the obvious mileage and depreciation by taking a demo? I was told the car would be titled as new.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    For me I will counter-offer $33,900.00 on this demo.
  • Options
    Thanks.....pretty close to what I was thinking.
  • Options
    sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    pilot is awesome. i am so glad i went with pilot. dealer was awesome, no headace and stress. made deal over the phone and went in, done in 20min. you can tell henry Sunny sent u:) give them a try... if you need any additional info email me at sonup4@gmail.com. you can also read my full story about the purchase by clicking this LINK.
  • Options
    few things to consider.

1. 13k miles is a whole year and + of miles.
    2. They cannot legaly and will not sell it as NEW. Although it may not have been registered ever they will sell it as USED.
    3. The Touring models are a little scarce but shop around most $tealers have the demo models and with month-end coming close they will/should work with you, unless you show signs of desperation to them.
    4. The invoice price on your option is $37k+change, and they are getting $1500 from Honda. so your cost for a NEW with less than 200 miles should be $35k.
    If there are 13k miles then you are asking for trouble electronically and mechanically. even with warranty they can and will blame user for any issues.

If you can wait then try to wait for the 2010's coming in end of June.
  • Options
    Try going to Gilroy instead! Last week they had 3 in stock with one as demo. Decent price.
    However LA might not be a bad bet. Make sure you do not tell the LA sales man that you are from Nor-cal or you will never get a good price. :-) :D
  • Options
    craigblitzcraigblitz Member Posts: 20
    Not sure if this is the right spot... For a 2008 EX Pilot with 11600 miles on it what do you think a good price is.Dealer is asking 25k.
  • Options
    newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    I don't think so. We're looking for an Odyssey EX, but we test drove both of these last week. (ours was also an EX), We got quoted $28,489 for a 2009 Pilot with 138 miles. Try and go down to like 23 grand.
  • Options
    Thanks NewyearNewCar. I was thinking around 23k as well. His First offer was like 100 dollars less 24,900 and was not in the mood to play the game tonight so I told him I would call him back. I called back and he said our price is the best value listed and going by list price and the EX model they are but that is sticker price. I think I am going to move on with pursuing the Highlander at another dealership more willing to work with us.
  • Options
    craiglitz

here are some 2008 pilot ex listed for you to compare your offer...

http://www.carspace.com/bigdadi118/Albums/2009_Pilot_Grille01/2008_pilotEX.jpg/p- - age/photo.html#pic
  • Options
    techminetechmine Member Posts: 18
    Got to my nearest dealer and test drove a Pilot EX-L. Felt nice about it. The car has all standard features and dealer installed $600 amenities (tinted windows, Wheel locks and 1 more thing which I don't remember). After some back and forth the dealer's final offer was 31,800 on road (all things paid and my own financing). I wanted to have RES and Bluetooth (which I believe is an add on by Honda on EX-L models) but they are not installed at this price. What do you guys think about this price? I walked out saying I will think about it but they did not lower the final offer. Should I ask for both RES and Bluetooth for 31,800?
    This is my first ever experience of buying a new car or buying from a dealer. I just gathered some tricks from edmunds and the forums. Please help and give some pointers if you can. Must appreciated.
    Thanks, :confuse:
  • Options
    cb35cb35 Member Posts: 27
    well the invoice price for the EXL 4WD is $31,969 + 670 destination and Honda has a $1500 factory to dealer incentive running, gas prices are rising as we speak and demand for the honda pilot is at an all time low. to answer your question you can probably get a better price. what you need to do is get more dealers involved and have them bid for your business. Try emailing multiple dealers, calling etc.

I do not believe bluetooth is available on the EX-L model - I think its on the touring model only. I looked into aftermark nav/blue tooth setups and frankly there isn't one out there that doesn't require you to modify your dash. its the only gripe I have with honda - no nav/bluetooth on the lower models - which makes no sense.
  • Options
    malashmalash Member Posts: 5
    What is your sales tax %? If $31800 is out the door and say $350 for Title/Tags then the you are at $31450 including tax. Based on 6% sales tax your extra amenitites are $636 so the actual price of EXL vehicle + tax is $30814. If you factor out the sales tax from this price (assuming 6%) then the EXL price is $29,100. This would be a very good price for an EXL in my area (Southeast PA). The DVD is an additional $1500 MSRP so it will be difficult to get at the same price. If they off an EXL with DVD, don't forget to check if this vehicle also has the $600 in amenitites like the car you are interested in.
  • Options
    Yes sales tax is 6.25%. So car at 29K is a good bargain. Too bad Honda does not give simple extra things like even the bluetooth calling on EX-L models. Whats so touring in Bluetooth?
    Anyways, I am comparing it with Highlander and they have options on everything on Sports model. So choose the options wisely and I don't have to go to Limited. version.
    But the down side is, everything comes with options. Nothing much as standard.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have been keeping my eyes on a 2008 pilot for a while. I have seen the sticker prices but I know they are being sold on Ebay and through whole sale at an average of 22.2k. I am not expecting the dealer to take a loss on the case, but I think 23 - 23.5 k is a fair price for it. I was just surprised when I said I need a final number he took a hundred off. It was amusing and just led to me using today to shop around and or wait a couple more weeks to see what happens after 10's come out.

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions guys. Good luck to everyone searching for a good deal. Patience and research is the name of the game.
  • Options
    Toyota Dealers won't be better either. I have had 2 bad experiences with them. One in person and the other one was very rude on e-mails !!! Can you imagine that?
    Honda folks are much more responsive and although all dealers play the same trick, I felt comfortable at honda dealers. Planning to close on a deal on Honda Pilot EX-L @ 31, 800 OTD.
  • Options
    scott012scott012 Member Posts: 5
    I have been shopping for a 4WD 2009 Honda ExL Pilot. I am also trading in a 2001 Honda Odyssey in fair condition with 94,000 miles. The best deal in visiting one dealership was 30,834 + 3800 trade in (Honda North) ...this does not include tax + ??$325 vehicle fee...and other costs which came to another $130...

Off the internet only one dealer quoted a price of 30,432 for the car but did not give a trade in value and who knows how many additional costs will be added...

I will be happy to get a 30,000 cost + tax and $4000 trade in...

Can someone tell me if I am being reasonable? I realize there is a $1500 incentive which no dealer ever mentions. I am in Massachusetts. I have heard so many lines: come quick or your color will no longer be available; the person taking the trade in is in today so it is best to close the deal...we are below invoice...etc...
  • Options
    I don't know if you are accounting low trade-in in the low dealer price?
    Imagine if you don't have a trade-in then for a 4WD 30K plus tax is a nice price.
    At least I think so.
  • Options
    Update- closed the deal on an 08 Pilot EX FOR 23,800. Got about 700 more for my trade in so I am very please with this deal. I am thinking these vehicles can be purchased on wholesale for about 22 to 23K so I am happy with what I got. I worked with 10 dealers with various pilot models and mileages and this was by far the best deal I got. High end for 08 EX 4WD in my negotiations was 25,600 which had 23,000. Average of all 7 08 EX vehicles I was working on was 25,200.

Very happy to buy used (first time ever) and have a couple thousands dollars off and with ONLY 11,000 on a Honda that is practically new.
  • Options
    scott012scott012 Member Posts: 5
    thank you...

2009 Honda Pilot EX-L

so far best offer

are selling for $30,065 $450* + tax

I will be going to Kelly Honda to see if they beat the price if so they get the business...I guess practically speaking they will be additional charges of about $500...lets see if I can get $4000 for trade in...
  • Options
    shreeankitshreeankit Member Posts: 7
    I got price from two different dealer for Pilot EX 2wd out of door after tax, tag and title (South Carolina) : $27,180. One dealer has one demo for same model (about 1000 miles and he offers for that demo : $26,200 (out of door, south carolina)

What is your opinion guys ?

Thanks
  • Options
    The highest trade-in offer is Herb Chambers, pretty close to KBB trad-in price. Other dealers offer 2000 less than KBB trad-in value.

30,000 in AWD EXL should include dest chrg/ click my username to email me if needing more info
  • Options
    yeayea1yeayea1 Member Posts: 5
    27180 out the door taxes and all that stuff? What dealer? What was the price of the car before taxes and dest.? Thanks
  • Options
    shreeankitshreeankit Member Posts: 7
    Well, here is breakdown. sorry, it is $27,156 not $27,180

2009 Honda Pilot EX 2WD MSRP $31,161 YOUR Price $26,406 (That’s a $4,759 discount!)

Wheel Locks $112

Documentation Fee $299

SC Sales Tax $300

New Tag $39

Total “Out the Door” Pricing $27,156!!
  • Options
    SC has 1% sales tax?
  • Options
    SC --- Casual Sales Tax. Sales tax totaling 5% of the vehicle purchase price ($300.00 maximum) must be paid when you register a newly purchased vehicle in South Carolina. Truck fees may vary according to the gross vehicle weight of the truck.
  • Options
    Closed on 09 Pilot EX-L 4WD today - will pick up in a couple of days

$29400
    $670 destination
    $299 doc fee

$30,369 + TTL
  • Options
    Can u please tell us how much is tax on your state?
    I closed a deal on EX-L with RES (which has same msrp as yours for 32,400 OTD

They did not have my color so they are going to get it for me.
    Carbuyingtips recommend not to buy a car that is not on the lot.
    Do you guys have any such experience? Is it ok to give dealer couple of days?

Of course I have not paid a single dime. But what are the things to look for when the truck gets here?
  • Options
    sales tax is 5%

they must have given you a VIN and miles on the odometer - check those first.
  • Options
    motoman67motoman67 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Milwaukee, WI and just negotiated for a new 2009 4WD Touring with navigation (no RES). The dealer's final offer was $33,200. I then added the all-weather floor mats, cargo mat, moonroof air deflector, roof rack cross bars and wheel locks which brought the total to $34,200. I'm just questioning if the base vehicle offer was a good deal or not. I have the transaction on hold for now.

Are there any other recommended options that people have found helpful? I will qualify for a 10% discount on all accessories after the initial purchase.
  • Options
    azelizabethazelizabeth Member Posts: 11
    I noticed that they had special 2.9/36 months for Odysseys, civics, etc, excluding the pilot. Do you think we will see any finance special with lower rates on the Pilots this summer or fall?

Elizabeth
    still trying to decide between the touring and exl
  • Options
    erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    Just wanted to let you all know, and I apologize if you were already aware, but all state/local sales tax on a new vehicle purchased before the end of the year can be deducted on 2009 federal income tax returns (up to 260k joint income). I'm surprised none of the dealers we've spoken with have mentioned this.

Elizabeth, I'm with you, but am leaning toward the touring since we have children...I'd love the power liftgate, sunshades, and navigation. It's a shame none of these are available on lower trims.
  • Options
    yuliya1yuliya1 Member Posts: 4
    techmine - why carbuyingtips does not recommend buying a car that is not on the lot? i couldn't find that info on their website - just curious what the reasoning is.
  • Options
    mike1112mike1112 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody just bought 2WD EX-L with RES in charlotte, NC area ? looking some market prices.
  • Options
    ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
    Motoman67, that is a very good base price for the Touring 4WD no RES. About 3 months ago, I obtained many offers throughout the northeast US for that vehicle. The best I could get was $32,950 including dealer fee and freight. I bought at that price.

The accessory prices adding up to $1,000 - I'm not so sure about. Just working from memory, the floor mats can be bought online for about $150, the wheel locks $60, the cross bars $200, cargo mat $65. Don't know about moonroof deflector. There is a built-in one in the vehicle - try that first before you pay extra for an add-on one.

You can check online accessory prices at bernardiparts.com.
  • Options
    baw214baw214 Member Posts: 4
    I got a price of 30,300 on an EX-L, but the dealership wanted to give me financing at 6.99 (I have excellent credit), so I left. Today a diff. dealer says he can match my bank's rate of 4.83. How much can I negotiate on something like that? Also, at the last min. can I say, "I'll buy it if you throw in the towing harness and crossbars"? They know I want those 2 things on the car immed. thanks for any help
  • Options
    pilotnikpilotnik Member Posts: 3
    hey,
    your deal sounds. great. I was looking for a deal like that in ny or nj.
    where did u buy your 09 ex-l pilot from?
  • Options
    baw214baw214 Member Posts: 4
    I haven't made the purchase yet. It's in Wisconsin. Go to realcartips.com and you can brouse recent prices people have paid. Still want to know if anyone knows how much you can get a dealership to move on a lending rate, if anyone knows anything.
    Thanks
  • Options
    akplnjpeakplnjpe Member Posts: 6
    I am getting ready to purchase 2009 AWD Pilot EX. I am in NJ. Let me know if you just closed on a good deal on 09 Pilot EX or have one in works in NJ area and please share details. Any news on incentives in addition to the current $1500 or any special financing in sight? Thanks
  • Options
    marutimaruti Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone recently bought a 2009 Touring 4WD with NAV + RES in SoCal? I am having tough time locating one as most of the dealers don't have it. I got a ridiculous quote of $39,736 OTD from Miller Honda, Culver City!!

If someone has bought recently or has got quotes from dealers in SoCal area, please share the details.

Thanks!
  • Options
    shileishilei Member Posts: 11
    http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=5023

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/

These websites show a new 2010 pilot but I do not see the difference witht the 2009 pilot. Has anything changed? Does anyone know? Any new offers besides, 2%, $1,500.00 and lease.
  • Options
    lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    I just but my Ex pilot from Spreen Honda in Riverside. They seemed to extend themselves to make you a deal. If you have a trade in my advise is not to include it in the negotiations until you have a firm price. Good luck
  • Options
    I'm not in SoCal, I'm in CT but I had a really hard time finding any Touring let alone one with specific options I wanted. It made negotiating more difficult as most dealers know that car is hard to get and while I could negotiate anything other than a Touring to a very low price it was a little tougher with the Touring. I finally found a demo with 4.5K driven by a finance guy that was almost what I wanted. It was missing the Res and so I negotiated a black Touring with a dealer installed DVD player for $35K.

Probably not the best price ever but the Touring models are scarce and so I thought it was a fair price.

If you can settle for an Ex-L I think you can get a really good deal as most dealers seemed to have a bunch of these with 0-2 Touring on the lot.