Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hello

I have a 2001 GLX V6 passat that i would like to add a
    upgraded exhuast sytem to give my car a mellow sound and
    allow more air flow to my engine.

Nothing loud just a nice mellow tone that will take nothing
    away from the passat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know where i may get this? There seems to be one for every Volkswagen accept the V6 Passat

Thanks
    Mark
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    You wrote:

I have the white vapor out of AC also But with a distinctive odor?

Is that distinctive odor like a old gym locker room? If so, it's likely that you have mold growing on the A/C components in the HVAC system.

First, make sure you car is dripping condensate under the car when the A/C is running. If not, you need to address the blockage.

Then you need to treat the problem. The dealers supposedly have something to kill the mold. And I've seen a product called Klima-Clean from Einszett (a German company) on the web - but I've never used it. Here's an excerpt from their webpage:

Klima-Cleaner - A/C Odor + Bacteria Cleaner 250 ml (8,5 fl oz)

| Removes bacteria and fungi from air conditioning units and ducting.
    | Reduces allergens for clean, healthy, and fresher smelling air.

Don't mask odors with fragrances -- treat them. Klima-Cleaner is an effective means for removing odors from the air conditioning unit by eliminating odor-causing bacteria, fungi and other germs. Works by effectively cleaning the evaporator -- the source of the problem. Simply insert included spray hose into the center air vents in your vehicle's interior and spray. Allow to work for 30 minutes. Creates a healthy and fresh smelling environment that lasts for months.

While I don't live in as humid a place as you do, I've always run my ventilator for about a minute or two with the A/C shut off to dry out the evaporator. I don't know if this really helps or not, but none of my cars have had the moldy smell. That's probably not going to be an easy task in Houston. Since I have a turbo, I do the turbo cooldown and A/C dryout simultaneously.

Good luck.
  • Hello

I have a 2001 GLX V6 passat that i would like to add a
    upgraded exhuast sytem to give my car a mellow sound and
    allow more air flow to my engine.

Nothing loud just a nice mellow tone that will take nothing
    away from the passat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know where i may get this? There seems to be one for every Volkswagen accept the V6 Passat

Thanks
    Mark
  • tapp3tapp3 Posts: 12
    Recently I posted a problem I'm having with my orange engine light. I took it to have it checked and the mechanic said I needed to replace a sensor so we did and the Tranm Fuel code (???) was reset. The light went off for two days and then reappear ed. When I took it back the mechanic said it was giving the same reading and he didn't think it was the sensor. He reset the code and again for 2 days the light stayed off. Then Friday I received a letter from VW saying that they had a problem with an emissions hose that was making the MIL (???)light come on and stay on.
    I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and do you think this is emissions hose will help me?
    Thanks for any help,
    Vicki
  • vsjvsj Posts: 1
    We received an Oil Pressure Indicator message on Sunday evening and immediately had our 2004 Passat Wagon (V6 4motion) towed to the Lindsay VW in Dulles, Virginia. I rented a car from them because they had no idea when they would be able to fix my vehicle and they told me the rental car would be covered if the problem was warrantable. I fully expected the problem would fall under a warranty category as I maintain my car in excellent condition and was not due for an oil change. Less than 2 hours later, they called and claimed their diagnostic showed there was a break where the wiring goes into the sensor for the oil pressure indicator. Their opinion was that a rodent selectively chewed this one wire under my hood (mind you, we are not aware of rodents in or around our Northern Virginia neighbor, but I guess it could happen). I was very frustrated to learn that their opinion would cause this repair (they didn't even replace the wire) and the rental not be covered under my warranty, I received customer ABUSE from the technician and overcharged. They ended up charging me $9.18 for "wires, connector and electrical tape" and a whopping $242 for labor and $20 for shop supplies. This is ludicrous. I ended up filing an insurance claim and would hope that someone would weigh in on this issue. I'm not sure what's most upsetting to me -- the non-warranty (how do they know the wire damage wasn't from a faulty wire), the rude and abusive service, the overcharge, etc!! Of course, I have many of the other problems folks have complained about (poor radio coverage, acceleration/shifting problems when slowing down and accelerating). I really love my car so I'm trying to keep everything in perspective, but this experience the past couple of days has been very disheartening.
  • Hey all,

My 2001.5 1.8T GLS has been acting up for the past week or so: the car alarm goes off intermittently while driving the car. Curiously, this seems to happen in the first drive of the day, usually in the mornings.

BTW, in case this helps anyone, I had a strange problem last month wherein the car wouldn't recognize its key: it wouldn't start/lock/unlock. I got around that by "rebooting" it (disconnecting the battery for a bit), and not using that particular key anymore.

Wonder if the latest drama has anything to do with the key again...

Thanks!
  • vwjaneyvwjaney Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this spot...so far so good, 2004 wagon, Turbo...I take my car to my Sunoco for oil change, $60...they only use synthetic oil for vw
    love my passat....does anyone know the cost for the 20,000 mile check-up?? I was a little miffed to learn that vw does not do the warranty work for free as most dealers do...I researched everything about the car except that...just never thought that wouldn't have been covered...let the buyer beware, right?? :surprise:
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    Waranty work IS free.
    did you mean maintenance? Maintenance is not free for many cars, only some luxury makes offer it (SAAB, BMW).

And even then it is not free. It is "free" as its price is included in the price of the car ;-).

Krzys
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    The 20K service calls for an oil and filter change, cabin airfilter change and tire rotation. Remember, the brake fluid need to be changed every 2 years regardless of miles.

What weight of oil is the Sunoco place using?
    You wrote:
    we are not aware of rodents in or around our Northern Virginia neighbor

You must have squirrels, chipmunks and the like down there.

Not to make light of your situation, but I overheard a conversation at the service counter at my dealer last fall - turns out the customer's Passat was an electrical nightmare due to chipmunks chewing through the insulation on the main wiring harness.

They spent hours getting to that point and couldn't even begin to give the guy any sense of how much this was going to cost to even complete the diagnosis, let alone how much to repair it.
    thanks...I will check the receipt and see..I've been going to these guys for about 15 years...they are very fair...but they assured me they would check their computer for recommended vw oil...I know it was synthetic...I'll check and thanks again... :shades:
    THANKS..I was really talking about routine oil changes and whatnot...I know when I had my Geo (many years ago) the main. was basically free as well as my friends' Ford she drives....I will call around though for the best price on the 20,000 check up....thanks :P
  • frank_cfrank_c Posts: 19
    Here's a question for the technically inclined:

The car is a Wagon 4motion. The engine is the V6, 2.8L. The car is driven little so I changed oil at a VW dealer after just 952 miles (synthetic). Just before the 5,000 mile inspection I noticed that the oil was very low, hitting the low mark on the dip stick. After the inspection the tech mumbled something along the lines having drained about 4 quarts. The engine capacity is 6.3 quarts.

A test resolved that there is no leak or burning of oil. The only possible explanation is that the dealer underfilled by about 2 quarts at the 952 mile service.

Three obvious questions:
    (1) Can this damage the engine (there was no oil pressure warning)?
    (2) If so how could this be tested for (take off gasket heads)?
    (3) If there is damage should I go straigt to VW of America (the initial dealer is 500 miles away and will of course deny anything).

Many thanks,
    Frank
    I can tell you that it's an open secret that the VW/Audi 2.8 V6 is often an "oil eater" and consumption on the level you describe is not unheard of. From some boards I've visited, I'v read consumption levels approaching 1 quart every 1,000 miles on realtively new engines with low miles.

My guess is if you bring this back to VW they will say the consumption is within what they consider normal. They might go further to say that the owner's manual recommends checking the oil at every fuel fill.

Out of curiosity, what was their test for checking if the engine burned the oil?
  • I have a 2001.5 Passat 1.8 GLS I bought in March of 2004 with 35k. I've now owned it for almost 2 1/2 years, and it has almost 98k. I can say that I've driven the HELL out of this car, but fortunately I have had very minimal problems with the car so far:

52k MAF replaced (recall warranty)
    66k turbo vacuum hose replaced (was a simple DIY job with only $10 in parts)
    80k both CV joints replaced (ext warranty)
    92k timing belt/water pump replaced (prev maint, $450 by my mechanic who loves to work on VW's)

but now I have a concern. I religiously have a fully synthetic oil change every 5k miles. I also know to let the turbo cool at 2 minute idle after "spirited" driving. This car is by far the funniest car I've ever owned, and I bought the car expecting high maint problems but comparing myself to fellow Passat owners, I should probably consider myself fortunate. However, my car is nearing 100k and about 3 days ago, I was leaving work and as I rounded the corners in the parking garage, I heard a terrible whine from the steering...I checked the fluid and it looks fine, and it's not any mechanical parts that just need to be greased...it sounds like it's coming from the pump or something. It's hard for me to explain the frequency of this noise but I will try anyway: It does it as I am turning the wheel, but once I turn the wheel to where I want it, it quits. If I go to turn the wheel more in the same direction, then it starts again until I hold the wheel in position. I am not that mechanically inclined, but do you think it might mean it's time to replace belts? I have been trying to stay on top of the maintenance schedule, but I don't know when I should start replacing belts. Also, my check engine light has been on for the last 15k, and the code is coming back as P-0411. I don't want to take it to the dealer which will charge me $90 to diag the code, and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on what might be involved to correct the problem. I researched the code and it said "Incorrect Air Flow" so I changed the air filter (which was awful). The light actually turned itself off for a few days but then came back on. Any help on my power steering issues and/or the P-0411 code would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, this is my second Passat. I bought a used 1990 Passat with 94k back in 2001, which succumed to a broken timing belt at 108k (this was before I even knew what I timing belt was...). Also, the power steering in it went out not long after I bought it, but it wasn't that big of a deal for me so I just drove without power steering. I don't want to have a 5 year old Passat with no power steering though, so it is more important to me this time.
  • The P0411 code has to do with the Secondary Air Injection System, which includes an air pump, vacuum hoses and the combi (sometimes called Kombi or combination) valve. Soon after we got our 01.5 wagon this code popped up. I wound up replacing the air pump and combi valve (which is a PAIN to reach). It doesn't really affect the car's performance but the car won't pass emissions testing, if you have to deal with that.

You can get more info, pics, etc at passatworld.com forums. Can probably find out about the power steering whine, too.

Also, if you work on the Passat much, I recommend picking up VagCom software and a cable .. it'll allow you to check and clear the engine codes, among other things.

Hope this helps,
    Dave
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    FWIW: you might want to check to see that the PCV valve is not clogged or stuck. it can contribe to oil consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve
    True. And the PCV system on this car is complicated.
  • I'm sad.
    This morning I got in my car to drive to work and i noticed that even though my E-Brake wasn't on, the break light wouldn't turn off. And then i noticed my headlights don't turn on and that my horn doesn't work. I have a 1999 Passat V6. Anybody know what needs to be fixed and how much it might cost me? I've just been pouring money into this car. ugh. :sick:
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    My Homelink in my '04.5 Passat has been flawless!!!
    Just keep in mind if you start blowing fuse #5, that's your first suspect.
  • I recently purchased a new 2006 passat 3.6. After bring it home the right head light burnt out two days later. Total mileage at this point was 106. I have noticed constant condensation in this headlight. I called my dealer and was told that this is normal and even said that VW has put out a bulletin saying this is normal and they are not responsible for replacing. The other headlight is perfectly dry. I'm having a hard time believing this is normal and in some way may have contributed to the original light burning out. When I contacted VW of America I began to get the real run around. Has anyone had similar issues. Buying a new car should be a happy experience however VW has left a bad taste and ruined the entire experience.

Any words of wisdom as to how best to get this issue resolved will be welcomed.
  • kvikkvik Posts: 10
    Recently I noticed a broken spring under my 2001.5 (New) Passat GLS driving seat. The question is whether this spring is a part of the one-touch automatic movement feature of the driving seat?

If yes, is this fix requires VW service attention and how approximately cost (CA)?
    The spring is an assist to the up and down height adjustment to the seat. Just had it happen to my passenger seat the last month. I heard this loud noise - I thought something had actually hit my car on the right outside sheet metal. A careful examination found that spring hanging down and a small piece of metal (presumably where it attached) on the back floor mat.

No idea on the cost - probably prohibitive. The seat adjustment still works, but it's a bit harder to move the seat up and down.

I'm still under warranty, so I'm going to see if my dealer will handle it.

Yet another "not uncommon issue" with the Passat and, actually, VW seats in general.
  • kvikkvik Posts: 10
    Thank you for sharing with me your information. I have been told by one of the VW service advisors I contacted, that this broken spring from the driving not power seat (2001.5 Passat GLS) I found on the floor is actually a piece of the one-touch automatic movement mechanism. This part is responsible in moving the driving seat forward and backward with only one touch of the seat front lever. I still can move the seat with a manual force but it's heavy.

Therefore, it appears you broke a different spring responsive for the lighter movement of the seat up and down.
  • Majors,
    Were you able to settle this as I have exactally the same problem and same runaround from VW
  • weebsyweebsy Posts: 1
    I have a strange problem. My rear lights will not work. My front drivers side light (UK right hand side) does not work. The break lights work.
    When I apply the breaks, the drivers side light also comes on.
    HELP!
  • I bought my 2006 Passat 2.0T 2 1/2 weeks ago. It has the climatic/manual climate controls. I had the fan speed on #1 with the a/c yesterday on my way to work. After leaving work, the fan wouldn't come on until I turned it to #4. I tried changing the other controls but it didn't do anything. The fan will work only on high. I'm taking the car in next week to get it checked out. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what the cause may be? Thanks.
    Sounds like the resistor block is blown.
  • I am currently driving a 2004 GLS with manual shift and am buying this car off of lease. It has 75,000 miles and the leather boot around the shifter has some wear and cracking. The dealer quoted me over $200 for replacement saying that it only comes with the shifter.

Does anyone know of a place to just get a replacement boot?

Thanks,

Stephen