Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vw2kvw2k Posts: 2
    Hi, Could anyone tell me if this is around reasonable. my car (VW Passat 2000) has around 83000 miles, are these problems common?
    Front Axle Boots (Both) - $440,
    Carbon Flush and Coolant Temp Sensor - $350
    Rear Brakes - $409
    Serpentine Belt- $120,Right Front Fender Liner- $128
    80,000 mile service - $600 -- Thanks a Lot.
  • niki1niki1 Posts: 52
    Does anyone else have this problem????

I just purchased a new 2004 Passat 1.8T with the manual trany, and when we put in the garage it has this burnt oil smell. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks In Advance
    NIKI1
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    How many miles are on your Passat? ALL new cars I have ever owned have a certain smell after I drive them and park in my garage. I think it is just the oils and such burning off. It will go away in time..
  • RivieraRiviera Posts: 2
    Hi. Thanks for the info. Am consiering diy on my 1999 rear pads (no pulsing or scraping sounds on the rotors so I am only doing pads). I would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.
    Do you know the correrct size of the allen wrench and crescent wrench needed to do the job?
    Is it really necessary to replace the bolts? Haynes says yes.
    Also, Haynes says you can retract the pistons using "a pair of needle nose pliers" but they don't illustrate that. Is it necessary to apply pressure while you rotate the piston or does it "screw" itself back?
    I have done disc brakes on a 1990 buick and replaced one caliper on a saab. How good do you have to be to do this job and get the complex parking brake adjustment right?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Larry Lapham
  • niki1niki1 Posts: 52
    Fish,
    The vehicle has about 2000 miles on it, but this smell will linger for hours, and yes I agree with you, that new cars will give off different smells for a while. This is a nasty burnt oil smell. I have owned many new cars, and this one smells the worst by FAR.

Thanks For The Reply!!
    NIKI1
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    It's not unusual to smell the cosmoline [a protective coating applied to the engine area for overseas shipping] burning off the exhaust manifold as a new car gets used for the first time. This may take a while to get completely burned off. If it persists past 1000 miles, then it is time to start looking for oil leaks around the various seals in the engine - this engine [the 1.8 turbo] has been known to have this problem. Not common, but not unheard of, either...
  • ptgalboptgalbo Posts: 3
    I have the same salt problem in a 2004 Passat. My dealer has suggested Monster Mats. Do they help or add to the problem.
  • ptgalboptgalbo Posts: 3
    My dealer said that TSB only applies to 4 Motion. Is this true?
  • will12will12 Posts: 1
    I have 1999 passat 1.8T and ABS light is ON and Break light is blinking when the engine is ON and hand break is OFF. I checked:
    1. the level of the break fluid
    2. the tightness of the connections under the hood
    3. used 3 computer decoders which said something about communication problems

Car runs O.K. Any ideas where to start looking?
  • mrjettemrjette Posts: 122
    I have the Monster mats. At least they can be cleaned without showing salt on the mat. In the future, i will have to soak up any melted snow that forms in the mat. I never thought there was enough water that it could escape the mat and puddle under the seat, but that does seem to be the case.
  • djcdjc Posts: 10
    See my message #768. It sounds like you have the same problem I do. I still haven't gotten any help from the local dealership or the Regional Service department. the estimate to replace the module remains at $1700.
    You're right, the car runs OK, but the blinking lights are an annoyance.
    Let me know if you find anything different.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    I am sure others on the board will respond, but here's my experience. You have a 2000 VW Passat with 83000 miles. I have a 1999 Passat with 90000 miles and a 2003 Passat with 35000 miles.

You reported the following (my comments in parentheses):

Front Axle Boots (Both) - $440,

I had to replace my axles two years ago at much higher cost (went ahead and did the whole axle rather than the boots). The boots are a wear item, so I guess it's no unreasonable to expect that they'd wear out at 83000 miles.

Carbon Flush and Coolant Temp Sensor - $350

$350 seems a bit steep. We had the temp sensor replaced for $125 in 2001 (out of warranty). The coolant was flushed recently by a non-VW owned repair shop for about $50.

Rear Brakes - $409

Seems about on par with what my dealership charges, which is why I have someone else do it for less, not much less, but it is less expensive, and the parts are better than VW parts (last longer).

Serpentine Belt- $120,

I've had mine replaced twice (never broke - just preventive maintenance). My mechanic used the VW belt, which cost $60. He charged me $40 for labor, so $120 at the dealer seems like a good buy.

Right Front Fender Liner- $128

I had one of those wear through too. Something knocked the engine cover out of whack, and that pushed the fender liner to the wheel. But all of that ended up being covered by my insurance (longer story).

80,000 mile service - $600

I've not had any of the "dealer recommended" services done because they do a lot of "check fluid level" stuff and charge you a bundle. The one time I did let them do the service, they didn't check ANY of the fluid levels because they were all low and were still low when I picked the car up. So I do that stuff myself now or have a private mechanic do it. $600 does seem in line with what VW charges for that kind of stuff though.

So overall, I'd say you weren't taken for a ride except that the coolant flush and temp sensor replacement seems a bit steep. You could probably do better on prices if you can find a trustworthy mechanic.

Hope this helps.
  • peteipetei Posts: 1
    The windshield in my 2004 Passat developed an 8 inch crack overnight, while in the garage which is heated (55F). The crack started at the side of the windshield, at the support and is meandering inward and upward. The vehicle hasn't been wet and it hasn't been excessively cold, so I think freeze and thaw isn't an issue, and there was no damage to the windshield from a rock or anything else that would cause and imperfection in the glass to lead to a crack. Any ideas?
  • melloumellou Posts: 5
    My fiance and I took delivery of our 2005 Passat GLS last night. We drove it back to my place on the freeway...about 12 miles. By the time we were getting off the freeway, the MIL light was flashing on and off, the car was slightly shaking, and it almost stalled when the light turned green (it has an automatic trans). Also, it SMELLED so bad....like a disgusting burning smell.

What the hell could all this mean? We called the dealership immediately and left a voice mail for the sales manager (they were closed). He called my fiance back this morning and we had the car towed back to the dealership so they can inspect the car.

It was fine when we test drove it an hour before we leased it?? Any suggestions? We're really worried about this considering the car only has about 30 miles on it in total!!!
    This happened to my fiance when we took deliver of his brand new 2005 Passat last night. It was fine on the test drive, but when we took the 10 mile drive home on the freeway, it started freakin out. Slight shuddering, and when he exited the freeway and stopped at the red light, the MIL light came on and it almost stalled when the light turned green! When he parked the car, it smelled VERY bad.....like burning rubber?

We called the dealer right away and it was towed back over there this morning. The car only has about 30 miles on it!! What the hell is going on?
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I am so sorry to hear about your car problems. I would be upset to. I really don't know what the issue could be....if I had to guess I would say it might by Coil Pacs(sp) (Stalling). These were recalled in earlier model year Passats, but should be fine in newer models (i.e. '04 & '05). But, the burning smell confuses me. Others on this board will have more to say of the cause of your problems. Please keep us informed on what goes on and good luck!!!!
    Update (you're not going to believe this)....

Service manager called yesterday at 4:30pm. Said that he believes he's found the problem - the manufacturer installed the wrong "coils" on the car! Have you ever heard of such a thing on a brand new vehicle? He said that's what was causing the problems we experienced on the freeway when we drove it home Sunday night. He said they would replace them and all would be well. I'm very worried.
  • mlb2mlb2 Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum and this topic may have been discussed in the past, but I did not see it.

I have a 2003 Passat Wagon.

I have a hard grease like substance on the lower outside door jam edges that continues to appear overtime even after cleaning.

The dealer stated that this is cozmolene??? undercoating that is seeping out from underneath the vehicle when it gets hot.

I have noticed a hard white/clear wax like substance if I run my finger along the bottom edge of the door and appears to be around the lower door panel screws.

The grease gets on my pants legs when lifting out the kiddos and drips on my drive. It is truly an annoying problem and it does not seem like an undercoating should seep like this. I live in a coastal area of southern CA where the temperatures are moderate.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • bindhubindhu Posts: 20
    Thank you 600kgolfgt for your answer, do you have pointers as to where i could find the oil or the specs?
  • redhookredhook Posts: 1
    I turned my car on the other day and the two temp gauges were reading Celsius (after showing Fahrenheit for 5 years). I am unable to find how to set the temp gauges back to Fahrenheit.

Anyone else figure it out?

Thanks