Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

'88 Towncar seems to be leaking...water(?)

henryhschenghenryhscheng Member Posts: 7
My TC seems to have water dripped from a location close to the right front wheel after driving...it doesn't have engine overheating but I do have to add water into the tank every 3 weeks or so...is it normal?
The thing does not have a tachometer but I feel the engine is pretty stressed (loud) right before the tranmission engages a higher gear...is it normal?

Comments

• Options
    vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    are you finding water or coolant on the ground?no it is not normal to add coolant.ideally,you should never have to do it.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might just have a bad radiator cap. You could switch that out and see what happens for starters.
  • Options
    Ok...I will try that later...thanks...^_<
  • Options
    kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
  • Options
    is the same car...it has a sunroof and it seems there is something loose up there but I cannot see what it is because it is covered by the headliner...it keeps rattling except on very smooth roads...and it is not exactly the location where the sunroof is...it is slightly behind it...where the railing should be...any idea how I can fix this because I go crazy because of this rattling sound?

and, I think the switch is just invonvenient because there are only 2 direction--open the sunroof on one end and close the sunroof while tilt it up to ventilate on the other end...how am I supposed to know when it is fully closed??
  • Options
    oops...it should be "...before I go crazy because..."
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I wonder if that rattling is a "bow" or hanger for the headliner. I'm not sure how they are installed in your car, so can't say for sure. You might have someone press into the headliner when it rattles and see what they can feel or locate.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    headliners are breakable if you have the local iron-hand slapping up there as if he was swatting blue jays instead of mosquitoes.
  • Options
    the cloth cover is torn already...but I still cannot figure out what is loose inside...the torn location is inconveniently located quite far away from where the rattling comes from...I cannot identify what the thing is but it seems like a long piece of metal more or less spread along all the way from left to right of the...ceiling...
  • Options
    I think my car's tranmission is...dead...
    The first and second gear is fine but the engine revs higher and higher and at 38 - 40 mph...the engines runs and the car does not...I think it is the third and fourth gear's problem...does everyone agree with me?
    How much will a new transmission and the labour cost to install it cost?
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Re-post in the Transmission Trauma forum. Give year, model, mileage
  • Options
    realife2001realife2001 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a 88 towncar signature series. My alarm keeps going off when I open the car door and it will not shut off with the key. A dealer told me that I need to find the key code for my car. Can anyone help locating keycodes. Most dealers don't keep the books that far back?
  • Options
    kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    Include your 17 digit serial number and maybe they will be of some help.
This discussion has been closed.