Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• Options
    ewt1ewt1 Member Posts: 10
    My dealer got 3 in today. They weren't available for test drives yet, but I was able to sit in it and take a look at it. Other than the gray fake wood that came with the burgundy leather on a ivory exterior, it looked very nice. It is significantly nicer than the old one, which always struck me as "almost nice." On the downside, the second row still just slides forward rather than flipping up, making it harder to get into the third row than some SUVs. The navigation has gone non-touch screen, which is a step backward IMO, although the DVD screen is bigger.

I liked everything on the exterior but the grill, which really stood out against the ivory. Not my cup of tea, but some people may like it. I'd pick a oolor closer to the color of the grill to make it less obvious. Also, the roof rack is an accessory now, which is odd for a SUV.

Overall it looks very promising, and I'm looking forward to taking one for a drive.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Saw the first '07 MDX tv ad on the "Discovery Times" channel. They really are emphasizing the sportiness aspect.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Varmint and Host, the point would be very true for something such as software. I was once in that business and did everything from helping people use computers, to teaching programming classes, to selling mainframe software. In this particular instance, it is important to remember the key point that the the parts are already on the line, the workers already know how to install them, and we are only discussing slight changes in configuations, not numerous new combinations.

Consider the new 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 RWD I bought yesterday - it has far more choices of equipment combinations. For example, our new Explorer does not have the third row with rear air, and does not have the Audiophile system, so the cargo hold is significantly wider and has nice large below-floor storage compartments, making the vehicle radically more useful :) to us than the similar 2002 Mountaineer we owned.

I suspect that many prospective MDX buyers have no need whatsoever for a rear DVD player, and would appreciate not having it bundled with something they do want.

By the way, I am adding a Pioneer navigation system with XM radio & XM-Nav-Traffic, a hard disc, Bluetooth, and a rear camera to the Explorer, so there other ways to obtain that functionality.

I'll be over on the Explorer forum, but probably not much - the Mountaineer only needed a $25 pulley in the almost 100,000 miles I drove before I sold it, after three defects obviously related to the early production date were quickly corrected when it was new (paint mark, pinched vent hose, differential).

Good luck to all who buy a new MDX! :)
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Well, it would have been nice for the power lift gate to have been made more available.

However, the reviews, and there are many of them now, have been overwhelmingly positive, so the bungled bundling will not prevent me from driving one as soon as it comes out, in anticipation of actually purchasing one a bit down the road.

From everything I have read, this will be the premium mid-sized SUV to beat.
  • Options
    wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    I actually saw one at my dealership in Annapolis, MD this a.m. It was not the dealer demo, but a purchased one, so I couldn't drive it. Looks nice, the grill is not the big deal some are making it. I wish the middle seat folded flat. Auto Day/Night mirrors are extra. Now the nitpicking begins!
    Hope to drive one next week - and isn't that what it's about?
  • Options
    trueawdtrueawd Member Posts: 64
    I think this is one of the reasons Ford is having so many problems.......Choices (of course just one of many, but every little bit helps)
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    Well ~ I did it! I'm on vacation in Orlando from Virginia and checked out the local Acura dealership and found out that they actually had three in the lot that were not spoken for, so I got it tonight and will be driving it back to VA.

It has all three packages (Technology, Sport & Entertainment) and I managed to talk them into throwing in the roof racks and rails. It's a 48-month lease with 12k/yr. and the monthly payment came to just under $695 (with no money down other than taxes, title & 1st payment)!

The technology is incredible and I'm sure it's going to take me a while to go through the whole manual.

I'll post some more of my experiences after I get back home on Monday.
  • Options
    Thats nice to hear. Enjoy it!

I never could understand the concept of the 4 year lease.
    For that kind of money and duration, I would rather own the car after the 4 years with no mileage restrictions, but not everybody can or wants to put $15k down, I guess.

Anxious to hear how it drives and the mpg you are getting after break in period for the engine and the tires.
  • Options
    gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Our local paper just had a brief article on the 2007 MDX with a picture. What is Honda thinking. It looks like the new CRV that is also dog ugly. Was looking forward to the new model and now very disappointed. 300 H.P. Why and so ugly. Whoever designed the MDX and CRV needs to be fired. Toyota is moving ahead of Honda in design big time. I don't even see any Acuras on the road anymore. Are they still being sold?
  • Options
    steve117steve117 Member Posts: 1
    I waited for 6 month and finally the wait is over. I test drove the MDX this afternoon. The ride was ok not that great as I have expected. The design was not that great or impressive (the grid in the front is ugly, not bold at all). I think I will wait for the BMW X5 2007 model.

The MSRP was $47K on the MDX and the 2007 BMW X5 base model will start at $43K. I think I will buy the BMW X5 or the Mercedes ML. As for the Lexus I prefer 2007 MDX, so my list would be:

1)BMW X5 2007
    2) Mercedes ML
    3) MDX 2007
    4)Lexus

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent001/X5_Ordering_Guide.pdf
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    vrooommmvrooommm Member Posts: 10
    Saw the 07 this morning. Nimbus grey, tech and entertainment packages. Looks gorgeous and smaller than its predecesor. Interior is beautiful. Impressive.

I have already put down money and mine has been ordered, however I'm trying to sell my trade. A month ago this particular dealer told me I will give you between 26-27 for your trade. Today 25k at the most! Granted, I bought my last car from them just over a year ago, but accepting their trade price is the equivalent to financial suicide. I think I will have more fun getting 5k in dollar bills and setting them on fire!

I will likely wait until the summer when they are flooded with MDX. Gotta love dealerships. :mad:
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I sat in the MDX. The 3rd row is more comfortable but smaller overall. The seats are comfy but the dash is complicated. The voice system is annoyingly cool. I said "Find nearest restaurant" It said "Climate control off" Tried again and it turned on. It eventually worked.

I sat in it at the Miami International Autoshow. The grille is covered and LOOKS BETTER IN PERSON!!

-Cj
  • Options
    I've been leasing vehicles since the late 80s and have learnt that it only makes sense if you lease high-end, popular vehicles with all options. 48-month lease makes sense because the payments are lower and that the residual is normally about 8-10% lower than the 36-month (with the MDX — residual on a 36-month is 62% and 48 is 52%).

Every lease that I've had with the last five vehicles were 48-month ones and yet I never kept them for more than three years (I had three Lexus RXs — 99, 01 & 04 and two Pacificas for my wife — 04 & 06). From my experience, if you lease a high-end, popular and fully-loaded vehicle, the actual depreciation is usually lower which makes the car worth more than the payoff figure by the end of the third year. What I do is either sell the car out right to pay off the vehicle or trade it in for a new one. For example, my 04 RX330 is currently worth $28,810 (Kelley Blue Book — good condition) and the payoff on it is only $27,327 (the average retail on it is $31,690); so I actually got good money back from either a trade-in or sale!

Now, with the new MDX ~ after spending twelve hours putting on about 900 miles (traveling from Orlando, FL, to Alexandria, VA), I must say the vehicle is a blast to drive!

My average speed was about 80-82 MPH and got 19.4 MPG (of course, it's still new and should improve, and I also noticed that when I slowed down to below 80, the MPG would jump to above 20)). It rides nice and has plenty of passing power. Also, at every gas stop, people were giving me the thumbs-up sign.

Sure, there are some quirks which I don't quite understand why Acura engineers would put them there: e.g., the outside temperature indicator is grouped in a strange place, and so are the two trip odometers ~ you have to keep cycling through the Information button to read them!

The voice-recognition system is awesome though it does take some getting use to — but once you get the hang of it, it works like a charm!

The XM radio was the saving grace for me during those looong hours and the GPS is simple and easy to use.

Personally, I don't think the grille is that bad and the Daytime Running Lights are actually grouped with the fog lights on the bumper which makes it unique. My one disappoinment is that it doesn't use amber lenses for turn signals at the rear (when all the lights are red in the rear, it usually takes a split second to realize whether someone is braking with one brake light out or actually making a turn!).

All in all, I believe the MDX is a much better bargain and product than the X5 ~ when you add up all the similar options on an X5, I guarantee you that it'd be way over 50K, and also the product reliability is not there!

The main reason that I've chosen not to re-up on an 07 Lexus RX350 is that it's basically the same vehicle as the RX330 and it doesn't have nearly as many fun options as the MDX!

My verdict on the MDX — Go for it! But make sure you bargain with the dealer as well! I got a set of roof racks and rails thrown in (about $600) and about $1,000 off MSRP!
  • Options
    Glad you are enjoying it. I am stuck in a BMW 545, 36 month lease for another year and a half. At that time, I'm sure I will be able to negotiate a decent "capital cost" on a 3 year MDX lease.
  • Options
    akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    if there's a Carmax in your area, they usually do better than the dealer.
  • Options
    robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    How do you rate the rear visability/blind spots? Did you get a chance to compare the sport seating to the base model?

Have test drive coming up this weekend...with delivery, barring unforseen delays, end of this month.

As for the BMW X5, Car & Driver review stated that with the extra weight gain on the 2007 model would need V-8 which starts out at $55K.
  • Options
    I've found the rear visibility adequate ~ the outside mirrors are large enough that I can easily see behind me when backing up or changing lanes.

BTW, IMHO, the back-up camera is much more superior than the Lexus' — it gives you a better resolution and looks out farther to the rear other than just the ground behind you.

However, much to my surprise, the inside rear-view mirror has no Auto-dimmed feature — you have to do it by hand! According to the dealer, they're told by Acura that it's because the rear window is so tinted that there's no need for the rear-view mirror to be dimmed! But, I've found that it's not entirely accurate ~ when a large truck is behind me, there's still plenty of glare! Strangely enough, according to the manual, the Canadian version still retains the Auto-dimmed feature! Go figure!

I never got to compare the sport seating to the base model, so I have no idea ~ but I must say that the sport seating seems to be very good since, even with a bad back, I endured the 12-hour drive without any aggravation to my back!

Good luck on your test-drive/purchase!
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    My3rdrx...
    Have you sat in a previous generation MDX and if so is the interior room the same? Specifically, knee, head, leg room. Thanks.
  • Options
    No, unfortunately this is my first and only experience being in an MDX. But, comparing to the Lexus RX, the interior seems to be much more spacious ~ even the middle row has sufficient knee, head and leg room, let alone the front seats!
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    The mdx feels roomier than RX -- not sure if the actual interior measurements justify that feeling, though.

If I had to choose right now between an RX and MDX I'd go with the MDX -- if only because it has a real center armrest instead of those flimsy fold-down things on the RX.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Apparently, Acura sacrifice the 3rd row room for 1st and 2nd row. (data: AcuraNews.com)

07 MDX/06 MDX
    Front Row
    39.2 38.4 (head rm)
    41.2 41.5 (leg rm)
    59.0 56.0 (hip rm)
    61.6 61.2 (shoulder rm)
    2nd Row
    38.6 39.0 (head rm)
    38.7 37.8 (leg rm)
    59.1 56.3 (hip rm)
    61.5 61.1 (shoulder rm)
    3rd Row
    35.7 36.1 (head rm)
    29.1 29.3 (leg rm)
    42.0 48.5 (hip rm)
    57.1 58.6 (shoulder rm)
  • Options
    At just a little over 41" of driver's seat front leg room, can anybody report on front seat travel when the second row seat is folded? Does it go back pretty far?
    I am 6'2" and 41" won't cut it unless the front seat can travel pretty far back.
    Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    I hate to say this but my interest in this SUV is starting to fade due to the late November delivery date for the Sport Package. Seems like they would have this out closer to the official release date of October 17, since they are pushing this technology.
  • Options
    ryanethanryanethan Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

Just test drove the new MDX this past weekend and it was great. It looked a lot nicer in person and I was really impressed with the handling. Eventhough Acura is reliable, I'm a little concerned about purchasing the first year model. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for all the great comments so far!
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Every first year vehicle will have bugs to work out. It doesn't matter who builds it.

The question is, can you put up with a few extra trips to the dealer to get your car the you want? Or will you settle for your second choice just to eliminate those trips?
  • Options
    Well, I'm 6'1" and I don't even have the seat all the way back! I bet you'll have a lot of leg room.
  • Options
    Excellent! That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
  • Options
    jeffxpjeffxp Member Posts: 33
    The auto dim mirro is (strangly) an option. You have to ask for it as an option.
  • Options
    rstuvrstuv Member Posts: 5
    The so-called 'first-year bug' might be more myth than reality... Keep in mind that the
    '07 MDX matured thru '01, '02 ... to '06. After coming late into the luxury SUV market,
    Acura can ill-afford the bad publicity of first year bugs, especially with competition from
    X5, M-class, RX, GX, XC90 ... (okay! you get the idea). Nothing hurts a late-comer
    like recalls! Has there really been any critical recalls since its debut in 2001? :shades:
  • Options
    kbhaktakbhakta Member Posts: 17
    A while back you stated that there were no rain sensing wipers.

I was going through the MDX interactive showroom on the Acura website and under Visability, there is a mention of aerodynamic wipers that are rain sensing.

Now that you have the vehicle, can you confirm that the wipers are rain sensing?
  • Options
    No, it doesn't come with "rain-sensing" wipers ~ not even as an option! However, it does have a feature called "speed-sensing" wipers — when you put it in INTermittent, "the length of the wipe interval is varied automatically according to vehicle speed."

I'd rather have the rain-sensing feature!
  • Options
    ryanethanryanethan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. After reading the forum "problems and solutions" from the past, there was a recall for the 01' and 02' for transmission problems which affected about 2-4% of the MDX's. Hopefully the bugs won't be to bad this time around.
  • Options
    kbhaktakbhakta Member Posts: 17
    Wow, I guess the marketing guys messed up on the website then, I'm betting it will be removed soon as more people notice. Seems like a weird feature to drop.

No standard auto dimming rear view mirror is weird as well, I had the same problem on my Honda Ridgeline. Not sure if Honda is cutting costs in odd places or simply doesn't feel these technologies are very important.
  • Options
    This is one of those features that once you have it on a car you never want to go back to the manual type.

It's a shame (and surprising) it is not included in this suv.
  • Options
    low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    They will probably have the rain sensing wipers in the 08. Since the back window is tinted, there is really no need for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

I will wait for the 08 before buying. By then, they will hopefully get all the kinks out and I could pick one up at invoice or lower. No need to pay MSRP, unless you have a boatload of cash. Car sales are down and a recession may follow.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    They will probably have the rain sensing wipers in the 08. Since the back window is tinted, there is really no need for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

I don't agree with that. If dimming feature on a rear view mirror is unnecessary with tinted glass, why even have that feature manually operated? Just don't put it there, and things would be fine! It is another of those ridiculous oversights by AHM. Couple of years down the road, they will come back claiming... new feature added... auto dim rear view mirror. I can see that as an option in mainstream cars like Accord, but not as an option in a $40-48K vehicle.
  • Options
    Are we talking recalls, bugs, or design ommissions? I assumed the poster meant problems in general.

In which case, there was the "weeping mirrors", the sloshing gas tank, the thin windshield, the misaligned hatch clasp, the vibrating woofer cover, and many others which I can't recall off the top of my head. There's a Problems & Solutions thread you can sort through.

I'm sure the new MDX will have a few new ones. I'm also fairly certain the new X5 will have more.
  • Options
    I'd miss the wipers.

Could care less about the auto-dimming mirror. As soon as it gets dark, the thing goes to dim and stays dim. It's difficult to see with.

Same with my wife's TL.
  • Options
    In TL, you could turn off the auto feature and operate it manually. Even as it is, auto dimming triggers with headlights turned on.
  • Options
    gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    I don't know who decided this, but it's a really bad idea. Breaking items up into micro-discussions will squelch the (valuable) rambling and thought provoking discussions that exist in the general vehicle areas. We tried this at work and the end result is that people just stopped contributing to technical discussions because they didn't know exactly which topic their offering should go under. I don't know the inner workings of the carspace forums, but a better scheme (albeit more work for the hosts) would be for the hosts to scan the general forums & copy (not move) out discussions into the appropriate specific topics so that users have the option of reading the general discussion like a book, or going to the specific discussion as a reference guide.
  • Options
    I don't know who decided this, but it's a really bad idea. Breaking items up into micro-discussions will squelch the (valuable) rambling and thought provoking discussions that exist in the general vehicle areas.

I second that. I hate too much dilution of topics.
  • Options
    Gene, thanks for your comments.

I recommend using the Acura MDX Owners: Meet the Members discussion for general chat. If issues of sufficiently general interest arise, then you can post or repost your questions in the appropriate topic or recommend to noobs where to post their questions. Of course, I'm sure you'll all be delighted to jump into it and help them out!

A "Meet the Members!" title signals to people seeking solutions to problems and other issues that it's not a primary source of data and, if needed, the more experienced members can help direct them to where they need to be while all of you get to "socialize" and conduct thought provoking discussions.

Overall, I believe that the new structure will make it far easier for people find specific information.

tidester, host
  • Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Just My $.02, but i don't get it. I have tracked several discussions and now they are "read only" and there is no place to post a general thought or observation.

ps, did Edmunds sell the forums to Car Space? Why the name changes?

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    stv187stv187 Member Posts: 4
    test drove one on 10/19. my impression in two words: very nice! i'm not sure about 300 hp but i didn't push it to 6000 rpms so who knows.. anyway, as i was ready to lease it (tech package for 36 months) dealer's ## didn't seem right. i'm not the greatest bargan hunter, but looked like salesman believed he's selling ice-cream on 120 degree day. with residual value about 70% (about 44K MSRP) and dealer refusing to knock off even 1$ or kicking in roofrack or anything else, i just walked away with the following thoughts:
    07 MDX is a good car, but so is competion, as M-Benz (.5 miles away from Acura dealer) has 3 great trucks almost in the same price range, Q7, and X5 will be here in no time, etc. 5 years ago there was a loooooong wait. today, 4 days after indroduction of 07MDX, dealer (while refusing to admit) had 3 (three) new ones on his lot looking for generous buyers. by X-mas, Acura will be begging. next year Honda Pilot will sell the same machine 5-7k's cheaper. bottom line: nice truck, just wait a bit... :)
  • Options
    "bottom line: nice truck, just wait a bit... :)"

Agree 100%!

Also, If I'm that dealership you went to, I'd hold off until a buyer comes around willing to pay TOP $$ -- for right now. Some people WILL pay top prices for the latest and greatest.

The MDX will be EVERYWHERE in a few months and demand will taper off.

In a few months it'll be back to business as usual.
  • Options
    now they are "read only" and there is no place to post a general thought or observation.

Some hosts chose to make discussions read only right away. Steve and I are keeping the general SUV discussions open for a short time. We're suggesting a move to Acura MDX Owners: Meet the Members for general discussions. Meet you there! :)

did Edmunds sell the forums to Car Space? Why the name changes?

CarSpace is an edmunds.com creation originally intended to allow members to post pictures and so on (and eventually BLOG!) but people liked the name so much the company adopted it for the general Forums.

tidester, host
  • Options
    gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    The last post in 'meet the members' was in June. As a title of a general discussion forum, it's pretty lousy. To me it implies biographies of the people who post in other discussions. Sending a general MDX discussion there makes no sense. Thanks to the 'Search this Discussion' box, information is relatively easy to find in any discussion, even in a 5,000 post topic. If anything, improve the search engine for discussions, don't kill them off completely (as I believe this move will do) by micro-categorizing the topics.
  • Options
    bumbiebumbie Member Posts: 18
    It was very nice, but felt a little, a little sluggish and this was to my surprise MDX lovers. I got on it pretty hard, a little tentative obviously since it was not my car!
    I am not sure about the bragging going on, by my dealer at least, of giving everyone, especially Porsche and BMW a run for their money on the test track here in Scottsdale??? I have driven most of the competition, not as impressive MDX. I am going to wait patiently and test drive the new X5 (due next month I believe) and then make a decision.
    I am in no hurry to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest! I was quoted $48K++ for a MDX w/Sport (obviously including Tech already) too too much.
    That is my $.02. Bye :blush:
  • Options
    low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    Can't agree more with you all about not paying top $$ for this vehicle or any for that matter. What are these Acura dealers thinking? I guess there are always those that have money falling out of their pockets.

A good example of what some good dealers are doing is recently my friend wanted to get a brand spanking new BMW 335i coupe. Basically, this car is hot and at the a local dealer, they even had a mark-up of $2,500. So he found a dealer that had no problems selling it for $645 over invoice. Those are the dealers that have one thing in mind, that is sell, sell, sell. Their mentality is that they have no attachment to the vehicle, so why wait in hopes of having the one person that is foolish enough to pay MSRP or higher.

Just my 2 cents.
This discussion has been closed.