Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeffk9jeffk9 Posts: 22
    msant, I have been making the same complaints to Steigler. They tell me it is the way the car is. Glad to know I'm not alone in the valley.
  • hgphgp Posts: 11
    Folks, I had my steering rack replaced on my 2001 E430 and after i got the car back, the steering wheel is off center (about 1.5 cm) and it seems "lighter" than before - with more play. Do you have any suggestions? The car doesnt seem to be out of alignment. Thx!
  • msantmsant Posts: 3
    to: jeffk9...this noise and power loss wasn't evident in the demo. ride or mentioned by the sales people. a true flaw in the veh.. back to lexus next time.
  • I agree that the new ones suffer from too much technology. I recently bought a 1995 wagon, and it's just on the edge of being too complex. Many, many years ago, I had a 1968 230. I miss that car.

The ultimate gizmo that MB should make is a automatic-retracting hood ornament so that the hooligans can't steal it. Or with all those electronic whizbang doo-dads sitting idle whent the car is off, run a couple dozen volts through the star, so they'll think really hard about swiping more than one.
  • netranger4netranger4 Posts: 149
    Am considering purchase of the following two vehicles and need some advice from M-B owners and possibly Jaguar owners if possible. Have been advised that the 88/89/90 300 Series M-B are virtually indestructible. T/F? Have heard same input on the 91/92/93 XJ-6 Jaguars. Both cars are within my budget. The M-B has 115K (1989) and the Jaguar has 85K (1992). Any input is most appreciated.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    I'd pass on both unless you have a mechanic on retainer. These are both very high maintenance high expense cars.
  • q45manq45man Posts: 416
    Assume both brands will need $3,000-$4,000 in repairs to get them back close to functioning somewhat like new. Then around $200 per month to keep them that way......if you were thinking V8 add $50 per month.

The period 100k-140k is when things like transmissions, AC, radiators, fans break and all the rubber isolated suspension arms are worn and sloppy.

Think of the purchase price as just the ticket to spend the same amount soon on maintenance and repairs.
    Plus usually owners defer shock replacement prior to sale.

Why does a car depreciate to 10% of its new MSRP.cause its 90% worn out.
    The problem with old cars with low mileage is the rubber components and hoses break down from age and exposure to oxygen in air- heat just accelerates the process.
    If you gotta buy a 10 year old car get an LS400 [92-93] at least it will cost you a little less to get and keep right.
  • Used to drive an Audi 2000 2.7t. Nice Car and Audi will make good on mistakes.
    Was persuaded by friends to try an MB E320 2003.
    While it's a pretty face, looks are deceiving.
    Never again.

MB CANNOT retrofit this car with the Nav system as initially claimed, AND WILL NOT READILY DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ENGINEERING AND MARKETING FIASCO UNLESS ONE WAS FOOLISH ENOUGH TO PREPAY for nav( i.e. loan MB $2000) for a product with an unannounced delivery date. (Called paying for vaporware in my field.)
    Mislead about the availability of a Nav system on the E320,2003 even tho' my car is "pre-wired" for Command system. Dealer blames MB, "who has essentially told us new product adapters to jump in the lake.
     World class service?-No way! It's the is the worst I've seen and reminds me of the old Chrysler. And the service center is "not required" to tell me who the "PROPER PEOPLE" to whom they are forwarding my complaint are.
    Dealer David Michael (NJ)is unwilling to do anything about this. It's the "not my problem" phenomenon. ""IT'S MB'S fault"
     By the way MB 2003 is SLOOOW from 0-30mph.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    I bet somebody will, though.

Haspelbein-- I think the point is not that digging into the rear seat is "easy"--the point is that the battery is not with the rest of the engine, so it would require a special "trip" just to check the battery.
  • pvh3pvh3 Posts: 15
    Thanks for setting this chat up. If you look at the other chat regarding the NAV/COMMAND problems you will see that you are not alone.

I too have a 2003 E500. The only options are the sport package and premium sound system. I also subscribed to the teleaid. The car wasn't even 2 weeks old when the "teleaid defective visit workshop" warning came on.

Well, the salesman told me that was a known problem, i.e., a fauly teleaid modulation unit. Long story short, got that repaired but the malfunction still comes on even though the teleaid is working. The regional rep told me just 2 days ago that the fix that my dealer applied recently was not the right one and as of right now there IS NO FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM!!! Sheesh.

In addition, my sound system goes out periodically. The first time it happened I took it to the dealer and since they were able to duplicate the problem, they just replaced the entire stereo system. However, now that the problem is intermittent, they refuse to do anything since they can't duplicate in the shop.

I am going to try the lemon law approach but I just want my money back. I absolutely, positively do NOT WANT ANOTHER BENZ. I was leasing a brand new SL500 before this and it had a ton of problems as well. The only difference was that all of the problems got fixed. As the woman from the other chat says, "very disoncerting."
  • irvnirvn Posts: 11
    Spotty & pvh3:

I own a 2000 E430 with the COMAND system & phone which has been problematic from day 7 of ownership. My local MB dealer has responded by replacing parts and modules with no real success. Unfortunately, with the previous E-class, the electrical parts are rebuilt so I am not real comfortable with reliability over time. . . I have talked many owners of MB's who have had a variety of "electrical" problems: C, M, E, S-class cars. My problems are also intermittent which are impossible to really fix. I think the idea is to replace parts with the hope that the problem will be resolved. . .

I have only 23,000 miles on this car and I am not interested in getting another MB at this time. I think MB needs to look hard at the supplier of the electrical components of the cars since this seems to be a problem across the entire line.

Good Luck
  • donk7donk7 Posts: 4
    I too have electrical problems with my 2nd 2003 E-class. My current E500 radio will occassionally cut off and come back on. It starts with static which builds up until the sound goes off completely for a few seconds and then comes back on. Has anyone else experienced this same problem? The dealer has attempted to fix it (replaced communication platform and checked fiber optics). Problems still exists. Also, has anyone noticed (E500 or E320 w/Sport Pkg) that after driving and parked, it is not level??? Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. I have measured over 1/2 inch lower one side than other. Dealer has no clue. Anyone been through this???
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    hi, I own a 92 300CE. The front driver side window rolled down and now won't move at all. I have had this problem in the past before and was able to get it up again. What seems to be the problem? Could it be the battery being low? The first time it happened, it was when I left the car parked for over 2 weeks without driving it. Thanks. (oh, only the front driver side and sunroof have the problem)
  • sddlwsddlw Posts: 361
    alman08, I had a somewhat similar problem with a 1992 300E. Except that both the window and sunroof acted as though they were possessed by some evil spirit. Opening and closing at will, then not operating at all. The only place where the electrical systems of these two components come together is the "Convienence" modual. It is the thing that allows you to close the sunroof and windows by holding the key in the door lock, in the locked position, for several seconds after exiting the car. Makes it so you don't have to get back in and start the car to close them if you forgot. Anyway, when this modual fails, weird electrical things happen to the windows and sunroof. I suppose it could also be a battery problem, but I would expect you would also have cold start problems. Also, these cars have such a high load on the battery they only last for a couple of years and usually fail completely when they go. Still, it never hurts to have your battery checked out. Especially in summer.
    thanks for you reply. took it in to autozone today and ran a test on the battery. result was "good battery, low charge". the guy there was confused and ran the test again. same thing. so i asked him to charge it up. after charging, ran the test and said it's a good battery. that 15mins later, he ran the test again and it said "good battery, low charge". weird. anyway, i took it back and was hoping it could do the "magic" for the window and it didn't. most likely it just needs a new battery. ok ok, i was being cheap...hhehee... i'm planning to sell the car and try not to buy new things on it, however, with the window in the current position, i guess i will have no choice. :) let's hope it will work tomorrow when i get a new battery for it.
    by the way, you mentioned you had similar problem on yours, how did you get it fixed? thanks.
  • sddlwsddlw Posts: 361
    I had the "convienence modual" replaced. I forget now how much it was. .... a couple hundred probably. But it took my mechanic a while to find the connection between the windows and sunroof wiring systems. According to him, this modual is the only place (besides the battery) that these two systems come together. It solved all the probelms with the window and sunroof opening and closing by themselves or alternatively NOT opening or closing at all.
    that convience module does work on all windows and sunroof except the driver side front. :(
  • pvh3pvh3 Posts: 15
    The problem you are having is identical to the one I am having. It happens both with the radio and the cd changer. My dealer applied a fix from CD rom that was supposed to correct this but it has happened at least once since the fix was applied. When I took the car back last week, they couldn't recreate it so they said, you're SOL, more or less.

As for the car not being level, I too have an E500 w/sport pkg, however, I have not noticed this. I know that the car is supposed to raise and lower itself 1 inch based on driving conditions and the suspension setting. Yesterday when I stopped at a light I could feel the car raising itself and it scared the bejeezies out of me. I never noticed that before.

One last thing, MB should be singing a different tune very soon as far as getting these things fixed. There are MB executives in Wash., DC right now meeting w/automotive experts and such to discuss the fact that their reputation for quality has taken a serious blow. I'll keep you posted.
  • donk7donk7 Posts: 4
    Thanks for your note. I had the car in again for a "fix". They did another software update and replaced something to do with the "hands free" unit located in the trunk per instructions from the factory tech. No, I do not have the phone. I'll let you know if this works. By the way, there is a modification to make the brake assist pump quieter. That will be done next time. My car is out of level parked in the garage after driving and not running. I measure from the center of the wheel wells to the ground. It varies alot. Don't have a clue why.
    well, took that same battery out to autozone again and the guy tested it, and this time it said "bad battery". got a new one, and guess what? that window worked for 3 seconds after i installed the new battery and died again. i guess you're right, sddlw, it could have been the module that you mentioned. regardless, i think the battery was old and had to be replaced anyway.
    I have read somewhere in here that someone else's battery went out and the car died, and after installing a new battery, he had to have the radio and windows reset. you think my windows just needed to be reset?? does anyone else know about the problem? thanks.