Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    u542u542 Member Posts: 11
    Looking to buy Outback SE in Chicago area,what would be the price I'm shooting for out the door.Thanks
  • Options
    ttutttut Member Posts: 17
    To nhsteve,

Congrats. You may try a little harder to get a price close to $23.5K. I think a Ltd should be < $3000 over a SE vehicle. Good luck! ;)
  • Options
    town_watertown_water Member Posts: 1
    Hello, ttut, congratulations for the new outback, could you share the dealership? I am also in New England and looking for 09' Ltd outback. If you prefer to email me, my email is town_water@yahoo.com. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    A message sent. Good luck!
  • Options
    mjk91383mjk91383 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of working out a price on a 2009 2.5XT. The dealership I'm working with has offered me their available 2.5XT with Navigation for $30,145 OTD. They've offered to get me one without Navigation for $28,595 OTD. Both cars include Auto Dimming Mirror, Armrest Extension and Cargo Nets. They told me that those prices include their dealer fee ($395) and SC taxes ($300). For reference, the dealership that has the 2.5XT without Navigation on their lot told me that they wouldn't sell it for less than $28,911 plus taxes and fees.

I've been conversing with dealerships in GA, NC and SC over the past few weeks and this is the best deal that I've been able to work out. They're all pushing for a sale before the end of the month but I'm seriously thinking about waiting until the weekend to make my purchase to see what the May rebates look like. Should I go ahead and take one of the available offers or hold out until May? Is $28,595 OTD a pretty good deal on a 2.5XT?

I've found this forum to be very useful over the past couple of weeks and am looking forward to joining the Outback family.
  • Options
    morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Is this the manual trans or auto trans? If the manual, then I think the deal is just ok, but if the auto, then this is a pretty good deal, IMO. The selection of XT's will not be as good as base models, so waiting is somewhat riskier, especially if this one meets all your needs. Nobody knows what May will bring for rebates - so its a gamble. What do you get for the $395 dealer fee? I bought my SE last month in MD and the dealer fee was $99. If you get something for that fee, like registration fees, free loaners, oil changes, etc, then you'd be getting something for it. At least ask. If its not on the lot & is being brought in, ask to make sure it isn't a demo or has more miles on it from test drives than you like.

Sorry - nobody can answer that question of take the deal or wait until next month's rebates because nobody knows - its all a guess. Where's that auto rebate crystal ball when you need it?
  • Options
    stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    "First establish definitively the invoice $ number, and work back from there as described in my earlier post.
    Add your local taxes, title and destination charge and you get the target price."

This may be a good plan in August after the cars have been on the lot for 2-3 months but is not advised in late April when they've been sitting, depreciating for 9 months. The only effective way to negotiate a great selling price is to get quotes from high volume dealers and once you have their absolute lowest price, let their competitor know about it. Forward them an email quote if you have to. They will beat it. Subaru pays the dealers per sale.
  • Options
    mjk91383mjk91383 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I probably should have mentioned that both vehicles have the Automatic Transmission. I've actually already taken a look at the 2.5XT that would be brought in from a nearby dealer and am satisfied with the mileage.

You're not kidding about the lack of selection with the 2.5XT. I've only found a handful of them in my region and they're all similarly equipped. I have yet to come across one with the standard Manual Transmission.

I'd planned on purchasing one of the vehicles this weekend but the dealership is pushing for a sale before the end of the month. I'm assuming that the rebates will, at worst, remain at the same level for the month of May. I'm not exactly sure what all is included in with the $395 charge. They've described it as a "Doc/Dealer" fee and nothing else. For what it's worth, I've received four quotes from dealerships with identical fees. Not sure if it matters but all four dealerships were in the Atlanta area.

The 2.5XT with Navigation is within my price range but I don't know enough about the Subaru navigation system to justify the price difference. The reviews that I've come across for it have been mixed at best.
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about the Nav. First, its a pricey option and second, I'm not sure I'd need it enough to justify the cost. If I was still travelling to a new distant travel select soccer field every weekend, then I'd consider it.

I don't think the dealers have a clue about where the rebates are going for May. I wasn't willing to roll the dice last month when I bought my Outback. I have seen rebates disappear and re-appear with little apparent logic. When we bought my wife's Forester in March 2007, the rebate continued unchanged through April but then I think it disappeared in May - when there were still plenty of 07's on the lots and logically, the rebate should have continued. I remember thinking that it make little sense. Of course, every time is different and this is a climate of low sales coupled with a new model introduction, so really, who knows? If the dealers knew, they would be incapable of keeping it secret - and it would be counterproductive to selling inventory. The $2K rebate combined with 2.9% financing is a sweet deal. Usually, you have to pick the rebate OR the low rate, but this is combined.

Sounds like your doc/dealer fee is the usual extra profit casually tacked on at the end of the deal - sometimes its unavoidable because the extra profit appears to be part of the deal, allowing them to advertise a lower sales price, only to make up for it in the end by adding in the small-print doc fee.

It makes little difference what we would do - you have to go with your gut! Good luck!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That Navi option is overpriced IMHO.

Note that for 2010 they're packaging it with premium sound and a backup camera - all for the same cost.

Now at least it's debatable, probably even worth it.
  • Options
    justininjustinin Member Posts: 3
    To ttut,
    You seem got a very good deal. Can you confirm $21,8xx you paid includes 5% tax and all other fees? That is impressive.

I just got a quote from a dealer here in Chicago.
    2009 Outback 2.5i Special Edition
    Automatic
    MSRP $25,790

Asking $21288 plus $151.65 doc fee, plus tax, title fee. The number only good thru this month.
    It is decent, but is not as decent as yours if your number including 5% tax.
    Thanks
    Justin
  • Options
    It is correct. It does include 5% tax and all other fees. It is a good deal. However, rdy can get a much better one. He/she could get a SE Auto for less than $20k in OR. :P

Most of dealers were asking around $21000+TTL :mad:. Two gave me a very good deal. I went to the dealer with a better reputation.

Good luck!
  • Options
    justininjustinin Member Posts: 3
    Thanks ttut for your input. I will try to counter them with $20500 (before tax, fees) to see waht happens. I am in no hurry.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Member Posts: 12
    The only effective way to negotiate a great selling price is to get quotes from high volume dealers and once you have their absolute lowest price, let their competitor know about it. Forward them an email quote if you have to. They will beat it. Subaru pays the dealers per sale.

This doesn't always work. You have to be aware of the "lowball" offer. If you call a dealer and say you're going to shop every dealer in the neighboring 3 states, expect to get a quote that can't be beat... or matched... or consumated. The salesman is going to figure (and maybe even rightly so) that you're wasting his time, so he's going to give you an unrealistically low price to bring you into the dealership. There is no Santa Claus in the car business.

I just leased an Outback 2.5i SE for 36 months/12,000 miles per year. I paid $313 in drive offs and will pay $304.25 per month including 8.75% sales tax. The lower-priced Forester actually leases for more since it is newly redesigned and the Outback will be redesigned this year as a 2010 model. The dealer had to trade for the exact color I wanted and included the auto-dimming mirror with Homelink. They probably made about $380 in the sale, but I thought that was fair. No use being a schnorrer if they are nice and get me the exact car I want.
  • Options
    rdyrdy Member Posts: 36
    Benchmark pricing: NW market.
    Fully loaded 09 Ltd Automatic 9DG at $22795.00
    09 9DA manual at $16995.00
    The pressure to move the 09's is biting.
  • Options
    loanthonyloanthony Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone on this board have information on the May incentives? Still $2K cash back for Outbacks?

Thanks for any concrete info!
  • Options
    fotboatfotboat Member Posts: 19
    Is there actually an ad for this price for the limited?
  • Options
    stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    They've extended the current incentives thru May 4th.
  • Options
    fotboatfotboat Member Posts: 19
    Is there actually an ad for this price for the limited?
  • Options
    Affirmative
  • Options
    gezzgezz Member Posts: 7
    Hi rdy,

Gratefull if you could share with us some info about where can we get that deal on the Limited.

I would very much welcome the name of the dealer.

Thx
  • Options
    nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    I seem to be getting very good prices on the Ltd from Ocean Subaru in Hampton Nh and Manchester Subaru, Manchester, NH. I have not searched much further at this point.
  • Options
    Carr Subaru Beaverton Or.
    Ad unit x 1: $22795.00 valid thru Monday 4th
    MSRP $29536.00
    VIN 97332908
    This is the same dealer that told me over the phone a month ago they never sell any vehicle for less than invoice + $200 :blush:
    Let us know any outcome.
  • Options
    Rdy, this is for a 2.5i Ltd, 9DG?
  • Options
    Indeed. Go back to previous page to see my original alert details
  • Options
    stactumstactum Member Posts: 39
    Does anybody know what are the incentives for May? It doesn't show up in the Edmunds yet.
  • Options
    dog629dog629 Member Posts: 6
    cars101.com is a great resource for Subaru info, including incentives, pricing and model info. Always up to date.
  • Options
    u542u542 Member Posts: 11
    Can anybody help.Would like to get a Outback Se auto .What should my price be out the door.Thanks
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $16995 for a base Outback?! :surprise:

Do they add fees and freight to that?

Even at $18k that's a steal.
  • Options
    marsoundmarsound Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,

Great forum.

I emailed 9 dealers in the area. Have five quotes back so far - lowest is $20,723 + tax, fees.

Options: Homelink, Ext. armrest (9DD)

How much lower? Should I wait longer? It's the color I want (Grey/Silver)...

Thanks
  • Options
    If that price includes freight, it is an excellent price. How much is the dealer fee and do you get anything of value for it? I paid 20,900 for my quartz silver SE 6 weeks ago + $99 dealer fee + tax.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,
    This thread is awesome!

Thanks rdy for the suggestion for the Limited, great price but Oregon is too far for me.

I finally bought my SE Manual no options and got a fantastic deal from a dealer in the NE. $19.8 + TTL.

Anyone interested on the dealer name and location, just let me know.

Cheers
  • Options
    marsoundmarsound Member Posts: 9
    morin2, thanks for the reply. The price includes freight. I haven't gotten a response back from this dealer (just emailed), but other dealers were all under $100 for fees. I'm also getting the "that's not a real quote" from a couple. Looks real to me.

Where did you buy yours?
  • Options
    FitzMall in MD, easy transaction too. Will buy from them again. Your price sounds very good. Good luck!
  • Options
    livastlivast Member Posts: 1
    I bought my OUTBACK SE Manual from a dealer in Beaverton, OR. The deal is incredible, $ 20300 OTD, and the sealer was also very nice.
  • Options
    You should check rdy's post #1712 before you went to the dealer.

Welcome to join the Outback family. Enjoy your new car.
  • Options
    txag2000_2002txag2000_2002 Member Posts: 10
    I am just beginning to shop for a new Outback and I have received what I think is a pretty good price quote. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2009 Outback 2.5i Spec Edition Automatic

MSRP: $25,560
    Selling Price: $20,760
    Sales Tax: $1,297.50
    Title/License: $234.29
    Drive Out: $22,291.79
  • Options
    You can do better definitely, Aim for a selling price of high 19K or 20K even at least.

If they do not negotiate move on. Use the offers at Heuberger motors to negotiate, they have one car like the one you mentioned for 20.2K and they will no doubt sell it to you for 20K no sweat

Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply, gezz. I actually sent a pdf of this week's Heuberger ad (they had an SE automatic with a higher MSRP for $19,2XX) to this particular dealer and they stood firm on their price. This was the best quote I've received so far, but I had a feeling I could do much better. I will likely move on.

I am an economist by trade, so I am accustomed to dealers nearly crying before I leave.
  • Options
    Their adv. was for a SE Manual (Model 9DC) with MSRP $26XXX
  • Options
    Yeah, I found that out the hard way. The msrp in the ad did not have the se pkg discount applied (-$1,750). I didn't pay attention to the model code as I should have.
  • Options
    longboat2008longboat2008 Member Posts: 18
    where did you get the pdf of their ad?
  • Options
    I went to their "specials" link on the website and printed the image of the outback to a pdf. I then forwarded that to my local dealer. If you post your email, I can send it to you if you don't have a full version of adobe acrobat.
  • Options
    dentildentil Member Posts: 8
    I found a dealership with two 2008 Outback Limited 2.5 with equipment code 8DG. What would be their bottom price on one of these? I would think they would be anxious to deal on these. Would I be better off to try to deal on an 09?
    Thanks,
    Dennis
  • Options
    baby_penguinbaby_penguin Member Posts: 3
    tutt, can you share the dealership? Today I am shopping around and the best offer I can get is $21,300, OTD would be $22765. My email is usappenguin@gmail.com. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    longboat2008longboat2008 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks. Today I went to test drive a 09 Outback SE automatic, MSRP 26K and the dealer will not go under 22k (before TTL) and told me no one in the U.S. will sell it under that price. I am in Buffalo, NY. I don't understand why the price here is that expensive? Where is your dealer?
  • Options
    No problem. It is Gillman Subaru Southwest in Houston, TX.
  • Options
    Just picked up my 09 2.5i Ltd with the auto-dim mirror and winter mats, $24,320 OTD with a fantastic trade on my 06 Tribeca with >84K miles. The Tribeca was not moving in a private sale and the dealership stepped up to the plate with a very fair trade, made me a happy man. What was important for me was to get the transaction completed and move the old one out and the new one in.

Manchester Subaru in Manchester NH - great selection, great prices, fantastic service!
  • Options
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Thanks... this is my 5th Subaru, maybe more but I cant remember. I had an original model year Outback that I bouth new in 96 for $22.2K so this is a a good dal from my pespective. Whis I had the memory seats...