Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dentildentil Member Posts: 8
    2009 OUTBACK 2.5i
    Automatic
    $18,977
    1 at, Vin# 97319797, MDL# 9DB
    MSRP $24,190 - Capitol Discount $3,213 - Rebate $2,000
    capitalsubaru.com "Click here for specials"
  • Options
    seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    Annapolis Subaru of Annapolis, Maryland has a 2009 2.5XT Newport Blue manual for $27,357 plus tags, tax and destination. Tempting since this the end of line for the turbo and the next gen Outback only offers a manual with the base engine.
  • Options
    stactumstactum Member Posts: 39
    Got Outback 2.5i (9DB) for my mother-in-law today in Milwaukee. Shopped around but the best price quote came from Wilde Subaru.

MSRP $23,990
    Sale price: $19,695 (includes $2,000 rebate) + TTL
    Also got a few accessories from dealer.
  • Options
    baby_penguinbaby_penguin Member Posts: 3
    Got a Outback SE Automatic yesterday at Quirk Works Subaru in Boston.

$20,460 + $299 dealer fee + tax & title = OTD $21,891

Got Subaru financing rate too.

First asked the dealer suggested by tutt, but that guy said he could not offer the sale price of $20,500 he gave to tutt, because like "tutt got a extra $500 rebate from Subaru last month, which is not available for this year", I can only sell you $21,000 + TTL.

Interesting Quirk accepted my offer $21,900 because I said tutt got that price.
  • Options
    ttutttut Member Posts: 17
    Congratulation! The dealer was lying. If Quirk sold you an Outback at that price, they can do too. Anyway, you got a better one! Enjoy your new car. :P

Actually, Quirk Works gave me the same price ($20500) last month. But Quirk charges too much for the dealer fee.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Jump on it, price sounds good to me. If not it'll be "the one that got away".
  • Options
    u542u542 Member Posts: 11
    Can somebody please help.I posted three times no answer.Outback SE auto.I've gotten otd price of 23076.45.Can I do better than this?If I can which dealer can I go to.Thanks .Hopefully a soon to be Outback owner.
  • Options
    zigboxerzigboxer Member Posts: 2
    A local dealer has an 09 limited demo. i have not found out the mileage on the car but if is around 4 to 5k what would be a reasonable price? i have seen brand new 09's for 23.5k so I was thinking a demo would have a few thousand knocked off. i could be way off though. let me know your thoughts.
  • Options
    morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    If you get no posts from the Chicago area, then the best you can do is to compare other recent prices from other areas- see baby_penguin's outstanding price a couple of posts back.

One problem with many of these posts is that "OTD" is not comparable from one state to another because every state has different taxes and registration fees. It would be far more useful to report prices BEFORE local & state property tax, registration fees, excise tax, etc. The price you negotiate is the price before state taxes, registration, etc - those fees are set by the state and are non-negotiable.
  • Options
    It should be discounted at least 10%, more if the miles are higher. $21-22k seems about right.
  • Options
    Hey Folks ,Sorry if I sounded cranky about not getting a reply.I'm just anxious about getting a outback.I've gotten a price of 20,278 plus TTL which comes out to 23,076.Does this sound like a good price?Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    $20,278 is right in the ballpark of what I am seeing others report. Woe be the taxes.... :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    baby_penguinbaby_penguin Member Posts: 3
    How much is the dealer (document) fee? If it is not crazy (<$300), it is a good deal.
  • Options
    Good oh Illinois taxes 9.5 big ouch !
  • Options
    I'm not sure on the doc fee have not had a chance to sit down and see everything on paper. I have been nego via e mail.Hopefully Thursday I will be a owner of a Outback.
  • Options
    That price is excellent for a SE (better than what I paid). Just beware the extras at closing - the extended warranty, fabric protection, mop & glo, etc. There is more profit there than in the car deal itself. I've got 3700 miles on mine now & love it.
  • Options
    At least it's tax deductible. Ouch is right, though, 9.5%?
  • Options
    20,278X1.095=22,204. Your OTD price is 23,076.

Are the doc and reg. fees around $800? :surprise:
  • Options
    Exactly!!

Some one paid $500 for the extended warranty. I thought I got a deal, but I paid $1000. :mad:
  • Options
    Well, at least you have the best politicians money can buy...haha.

Our tax is 6% in MD - but its reduced by the amount of trade-in. If yours works the same way, you have even more incentive to trade-in vs private sale.
  • Options
    I'm in MD, too, I was reacting to their tax rate.

6% is high compared to our neighbor Deleware, where there is no stats sales tax. :(
  • Options
    marsoundmarsound Member Posts: 9
    It's good to see the low prices people are getting. It would be helpful if the posted price was before TTL (since all states are different) and included all option packages/extras in addition to the trim line.

Thanks for the posts.
  • Options
    zigboxerzigboxer Member Posts: 2
    just bought an 09 SE. options include autodimming mirror w/ compass and all weather floor mats. the price was 21,250 and OTD was 22,297. the price could have been lower if the dealer had the car in its inventory. it was shipped from IN to VA which added approx. 500 to the bottom line.
  • Options
    gerald_kgerald_k Member Posts: 1
    Just got an XT with 5MT and about $350 in accessories for $27,995 at a dealership in Western Mass.
    MSRP + $695 destination was $32,637
  • Options
    fenway09fenway09 Member Posts: 1
    Considering this car, seems in excellent condition, waiting for all-points inspex report from Subaru dealer. Private sale. Asking $14,900. Stock online advice is offer 25% less but that seems extreme. What is fair starting offer?
  • Options
    stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    I would check out the Kelley Blue TRADE IN VALUE for that specific model with all of it's options. KBB says for a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon 4D automatic with 44,000 miles in excellent condition $13,200 (with no additional options selected). I never pay more than TRADE IN VALUE for any used car regardless of condition. Dealers are demanding only wholesale (auction) prices for your trade in so the actual KBB trade in value adds about $2,000. They are making money because they screwed the last guy on his trade in.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any info on whether the current offer will be extended?
  • Options
    chassolchassol Member Posts: 95
    This is interesting as dealer we just went to today to trade our 07 Outback XT advised they would only give us $15,000 trade in for our (sticker new was over $30k) car as that is what one went for at the auto auction (with only 17k). Our vehicle with 48k on Edmunds numbers shows $19,800 trade in and in KKB it shows $15,350/$16,300.

I know part of this is the economy, but $4,500+ spread plus selling at full MSRP plus $489 dealer fees has finally taught us a lesson on staying with a dealer we have purchased 8 Subaru from in the last 10 years (we both have one as we go different directions to work). I know dealers are having a rough time, but they should try to do a little better with folks that have a long history with them. Times will get better, but not for at least two years, and my wife and I will remember to go to a different dealer, if we decide to purchase a Subaru again.

If we sell it to a private buyer we will either go up North (New England) to buy a Subaru or try a different make. I really was taken back by the Sales Manager attitude and telling me I was arguing with him. Told him no, just that when a vehicle no longer holds its value why should I buy another one and I'd probably look at something else. He is new at this dealership and I don't think he will last long with HIS attitude.

Just my 2¢ worth.

I could mention a few other things, but won't as I've said enough. But when I say the next two years are going to be rough I mean ROUGH and I mean for everyone. We are not even close to being out of this economic mess we are in.
  • Options
    truestorytruestory Member Posts: 2
    We used to see an corporate executive car with 7k miles on it, also fully loaded with navigation system, etc. They asked for $25400, and then finally lowered to $24900. We were told earlier that a brand new 09 outback limited is $26000 after $2000 rebate, so we were not very impressed by $24900. We offered $23800, but they didn't agree, so we left. They didn't ask us back. Later from their website, I saw the car labeled at $25995. I am glad that I went away.
  • Options
    truestorytruestory Member Posts: 2
    In another dealer shop, we got a quote for the Outback limited at $25703 after $2000 rebate (supposedly last day today) before title. I feel that it's the bottom line that they can offer.

Their Forester limited is not discounted much, at $25858, which is even higher than the outback limited.

Hope to see some discount on the Forester, as it is more roomy, and more SUV-like.
  • Options
    goldy74goldy74 Member Posts: 2
    A dealership in our region claims to be selling all new cars at the Subaru MAAP (Minimum Allowable Advertised Price). I'm curious if any of you have run into this term during negotiations. Is it simply dealerspeak? Does the MAAP vary by region or dealer?

Here's what they claim on their site:

Buy any of our instock or order out new cars for 2% under invoice!!

Subaru sets what they call MAAP. Minimum Allowable Advertised Price. St Cloud Subaru has priced all of our new cars at this price and them subtracted all available rebates. This price is clearly marked on all the windshilelds and is listed on our website New Car inventory.

You can shop any subaru dealer in the United States and not find a lower price anywhere. This is the lowest price Subaru will let any dealer advertise!!!
  • Options
    glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    Supposedly the $2K cashback on Outbacks ended yesterday. The Subaru website has not updated with any new offers.

Does anyone know if they are continuing this? I was unable to make a decision this week so unfortunately couldn't take advantage of the offer.

I have been getting quotes for a 2.5i base model with no options for a tad over $19K, but this was with the rebate.
  • Options
    rdyrdy Member Posts: 36
    It doesn't exist - they invented it.

I read from a lot recent posts that folks are giving credence to dealer statements and numbers. You won't get a deal that way.

Do your research, check your numbers, read the forums and be aggressive. They expect it. Just understand, they will take every possible dollar from you. It's the American way, there is nothing wrong with it, it's their job and they are very good at it. But you want a good deal right? otherwise why post here.
    So check back through this forum. There is some good empirical pricing information in previous posts, mine included.

Benchmark ad unit price Update:
    Outback 9DG LTD less than 23k
    Outback 9DD SE less than 20k.
    As you can see, these advertised prices are way below invoice.
    There is no MAAP
  • Options
    Supposedly the $2K cashback on Outbacks ended yesterday.
    Does anyone know if they are continuing this?

Sure they will. They have hundreds of 09's they have to sell pronto.
    A new incentive will be along in a while.

Using the expired 2k cashback number, your quote was about $2500 too much.
  • Options
    Wow, I have not begun haggling, but you really think I can get an Outback 2.5i for under $17K?

The $19K price i was seeing was already a few grand below invoice!
  • Options
    Wait for the new incentive to appear.
    I see you are located in NW. Who were you talking to?
    There was an 09 Outback Basic 2.5i advertised for less than 17k recently at Carr Subaru Beaverton. Also check Hannah's ads.
    Click on my user name for a list of previous posts - that info is in there somewhere.
  • Options
    Wow, interesting. I will try to push for those prices. I talked to Royal Moore (who made it out like I was a fool for not buying at $20K). And so I emailed some other local dealers. Carr currently has a quote to me for $19.1K. The others (like Gresham) are still in the mid-to-high $19's.
  • Options
    This rebate ended yesterday, but they apparently renewed the offer so they are still on for '09 Outbacks. This is what I heard from a couple of dealers.
  • Options
    They are testing you. Don't bite.
    RM is an awful dealership. They lied to me continuously even when I proved them wrong. They don't care.
    Gresham and Wentworth are in market denial.
    Hannah is hard core, but they will deal if you know your stuff.
    Carr is probably your best bet if you can stand the pressure.
    Let me know if I can help you further.
  • Options
    An email from SOA today:

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

I received the June 2009 incentives this morning and the incentive offers on the 2009 Outback for the month of June are the same as those we offered in May.
  • Options
    Outback 9DD SE less than 20k.

I've been shooting for this price (with CA taxes I'd be happy with 21.5-22k OTD) but no one will budge from $20,600 after rebate = $23k OTD.

I'm getting stories like:

"The time for the best deals has passed. Production has stopped. The 09's are in short supply. If anything, the price will go up."

"We're going to hang on to our 09's since they'll be getting rare as we sell out."

Wow. Are these guys living in the same country? The same planet? Do they realize they work in the auto industry? Have they seen the numbers?

I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I personally know four people laid off from high-paying tech jobs in the past 5 months (and four others who barely escaped). Not to mention the forthcoming waves of state employee layoffs and foreclosures.

I've been negotiating mostly via email, and some phone. Do I need to go in and wave the cash around? I was hoping the internet could spare me the face to face.

Sorry for the rant. I know I have the right price from this forum. Any tips/advice for dealing with unreasonable salesmen would be appreciated...
  • Options
    "We're going to hang on to our 09's since they'll be getting rare as we sell out."
    That is priceless

Do I need to go in and wave the cash around?
    No, they would rather you finance

Any tips/advice for dealing with unreasonable salesmen would be appreciated
    Go somewhere else - they don't care
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the dealers. I do have the best quote so far from Carr on an Outback, but it's still not low enough for me to take the car over the CRV I am looking at. But yea, I am done with Royal Moore, as I did not appreciate the sales tactics they tried to pull.

On that note (regarding my decision between CRV and Outback), it seems like with the manufacturer rebates from other makes like Subaru, Honda is becoming a bit overpriced in this market. I am seeing very few people getting cars for significantly below invoice on them.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    You might consider contacting Carter Subaru in Seattle for a price comparison. I am not sure what number would come back, but I purchased a car there about a year and a half ago, and the price quoted to me over the phone knocked the socks off anything I had received elsewhere, even after haggling with the other dealerships. I ended up purchasing the car while still in Fairbanks, received all the documentation overnight, signed, returned it, received the MCO (manufacturer's certificate of origin), and picked up my Alaska license plates before heading south to get the car. All of that took only three days and did not cost me anything extra (except the licensing fee directly to Alaska DMV).

Anyway, it was a good experience for me, so I certainly recommend an email or phone call to get a price. If you tell them the exact car you want, you should be able to get an OTD price immediately.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    hahaha....it's a game. The internet thing used to be a a gift for consumers, but dealers are now resisting. You can only do it for so long until they figure out how to fight back. It is how they make their living after all....best way is to put in your offer and go through the counter offer phase either in person or over phone or internet. You just use teh internet to see who you think will give you the price you want. They will not just give you a good price, you have to kind of bite them for it.

Anyways, every car company has atleast one car that is selling with no problem. With Toyota, it seems to be the Camry (lots of dealer have exhausted their 09 supply), with Honda it seems to be the Civic. With Subrau, it is not the Outback, it's the Impreza. Lost of dealersips in the New England area only have around 9 or less left. The dealership down the street from me only 2 left. But most of the dealerships still have lots of other Subarus left. ANways, lowest I got (New england) was 18.9K + TTL, but I have seen them in ads for less.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion on Carter in Seattle! I will give them a try. I do make it up there sometimes, so it's not unreasonable for me to pick up a car there.
  • Options
    Do I need to go in and wave the cash around?
    No, they would rather you finance

rdy, I notice that in your excellent post on car buying, you say to never finance through the dealer. Would mind explaining why?

The 2.9% that Subaru is offering is pretty tempting...

Thanks for all the great info.
  • Options
    The 2.9% that Subaru is offering is pretty tempting...

Ah, I was unaware of manufacturer supported finance.
    Subaru are buying down the rate. That's unbeatable in the regular marketplace, and the only time one should consider buying money at a car store.
    Never finance beyond 48 mo. Preferably 36 mo.

Beware - Oftentimes they attach conditions like 'Rate only applies on dealer approved unit cap cost (selling price) or some such language)

Essential to know your FICO going in...dealerships will often tell applicants they don't qualify but they can offer you a wonderful rate of xx%.
    So know your credit union or bank pre approved loan rate in the back of your mind, for true apples to apples.

Personally it would be the Subaru of America 2.9% deal or nothing. I would never consider any third party dealer finance co. It will cost you more in nickel and dime fees and gotcha's etc than your own source - guaranteed. Only folks without options finance at dealerships.

Dealerships typically make between 1% - 4% on money.
    That's a huge spread over a 48 mo term.
    Did I say never finance beyond 48 mo ? Preferably 36 mo.
    Like every other contract, read the fine print.

:)
  • Options
    abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    he means if there is no promotional financing.

If you just finance through the dealer with no promotions, the dealer has authority to give you any rate they want. Generally, they get a loan from a bank, then they can add another 2% for themselves.That means if you qualify for a 6% loan, then they could sell you the loan at 8% and pocket the 2%. This is why dealers are not swayed by cash buyers anymore. Not only do they get that extra % rate to themselves, but they also get a commision for it.

You can still do it through the dealer, just know what % rates you can qualify for. If you got pre-approved for a 5% loan (or you already have the loan check), tell them when you get down to the financing aspect of the deal. I am willing to bet that once you are about to walk away b/c you do not meet on financing terms (or you just show them your approval and say you will use that), they weill meet it or even beat the % rate. If they cannot meet or beat it, you still win because you can just hand over the loan check.
  • Options
    1stin101stin10 Member Posts: 18
    Hello, I am about to purchase my first vehicle in nearly 10 years - live in Chicago and have been able to get by using public transit, car sharing and the occasional rental, but needs have changed - and I am strongly considering the Outback 2.5i Ltd. Am targeting a very low mileage '09 or possibly '08, but will also consider buying new IF the deal proves good enough. Given the 2010 redesign, it seems new '09s will increasingly become a real value. The current $2K rebate and promotional financing of 2.9% for 36 mos or 3.9% for 48 mos are attractive. My question: should I try to close the transaction at the end of June (end of quarter as well as month) or wait further into the summer? Not sure what is prime time for model year close. I really would like to make the purchase sooner vs later, but as someone who has been without my own car for 10 years, I can certainly be patient if it means saving myself decent money. Thanks for your thoughts.