Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    An interesting report. How many years have you been driving with you foot in an incorrect position on accelerators?
  • Options
    bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Perhaps they may introduce the new 6 speed transmission for 2007?? I'm speculating here but it would make sense since the Camry now has it. When do they announce the new model year at Toyota? Late Summer?
  • Options
    maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    I wear bifocals, very weak strength. The bottom is only for reading the telephone book, etc., and the tops have hardly any correction and 95% of the time I don't need to wear them. I find that when I get in the car, with glasses on to drive, I get distortion from the windshield and also side windows. As soon as I take the glasses off the windows are as clear as the proverbial bell. I don't notice any distortion from my glasses outside of the car. I have worn these glasses with two other cars and never noticed anything like this.
    Now, this is the truth!!!
  • Options
    bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    I have heard of this from cheaper glass mfg.
  • Options
    driekdriek Member Posts: 12
    Hypothetical question here. "IF" you could lease a totally maxed out '06 Avalon Limited Special Edition (w/bluetooth) or an '06 Infinity M35 with Journey package, Nav, XM, bluetooth, & sport wheels - for the exact same price/monthly payment - which car would you choose and why?
  • Options
    maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    Forgot to mention. It's a 2005 XLS.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    At the end of the lease THEY own the car....
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    Simple answer. One reason I will NEVER consider a Nissan or Infinity today is spelled FRANCE, as Renault controls Nissan. If the French ever clean up their act and stop thumbing their noses at all things American, I might reconsider. Their loss, not mine.
  • Options
    regisregis Member Posts: 94
    "I will NEVER consider a Nissan or Infinity today is spelled FRANCE, as Renault controls Nissan"

Uh? I think you might have this reversed.
    Nissan owns:
    -Infiniti
    -Nissan
    -Renault (Nissan owns 15%)

In fact very few cars manufactured today can claim any one country as it's parent.
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Finally fixed! After 4 trips and again leaving my car at Toyota again for 3 days, they found that the rattle was coming from a metal bar in the moonroof. They re-aligned the moonroof and finally I am now driving around in a very quiet car. This has been a frustrating ordeal and now that it is behind me, I can now enjoy driving my Limited.

Thanks to all those that provided suggestions.
  • Options
    regisregis Member Posts: 94
    Very hypothetical because any M35 will still greatly exceed the cost of a fully loaded Avalon LTD. That's why I bought an Avalon (cost/benefit). But to answer your question, I'd go for the M35 if both were identically priced.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    although jl618 may have some unusual probelms with French - he does have his history right. In the early/middle 90's Nissan was failing and a similiar condition to what Ford and GM are in today. It was Renault that came to the rescue with a bunch of money ($2 billion, I think) and put a guy by the name of Carlo Ghosn in charge. Since then, Nissan has become one of the great turnarounds in automotive history and, not coincidentally, has one of the most best overall product lines (esp. in terms of profit) of all manufacturers. Mr. Ghosn remains in charge of Nissan although there have been some recruiting rumors that have him ending up in Detroit soon.
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    ré : although jl618 may have some unusual probelms with French - he does have his history right.

Merci beaucoup mon capitaine deux.
  • Options
    'hypothetically' ridiculous question - there is about $14k difference between the two. If somebody is telling you they can do that, I would read those leases very, very carefully - no telling what kind of restrictions and/or residual values the Infiniti dealer is using. Would imagine that the vehicle depreciation estimates would be similar on a percentage basis therefore making the M a more expensive lease - as it should be. Somebody at Infiniti playing games with you - but a good example of why leases (and costing by payment size) is dangerous.
  • Options
    see, your French is just great - maybe it should be you to go over there and convince them that not all Americans are ugly!
  • Options
    driekdriek Member Posts: 12
    Actually, it's not as crazy as some would think. There is exactly a $4229 MSRP difference in cars. The Avalon I have being built has a whopping $42011 MSRP. The Infinity MSRP I am looking at is $46240. I also found out that the Avalon has a "Cap" in the residual amount caclulation. It's called MRMCRV. This number for the Avalon is 36500. This means that the residual percentage is actually off of this MRMCRV, not the MSRP when you lease an Avalon with a MSRP > 36500. My payments would be lower if they were going off of the actual $42k MSRP. It almost seems that the buyer is getting penalized when going after a fully loaded vehicle. Getting a middle-of-the-road M35 does not have this same problem, as it is not loaded. Consequently, am I looking at a lower payment with the M35 for a lower number of months. But that's off topic. If you could take your pick of both cars, which would you choose?
  • Options
    larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    The Avalon because I wouldn't be required to pay 20 cents per gallon more for fuel :)

The Avalon because it is manufactured by Toyota and not Nissan :)

The Avalon because it is assembled in the US :)

The Avalon because it is offered in Blizzard Pearl :)

The best answer is it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. You are the one that has to live with the vehicle for the life of the lease. Get whatever you want, not what someone else tells you to do.
  • Options
    tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    The differences you cite in lease terms are games being played by the respective manufacturers. I would STRONGLY encourage you to shop for a lease from someone OTHER than the manufacturer so that you can compare apples to apples.

I used www.leasecompare.com to get an outstanding lease on my 2006 Limited 2 weeks ago. Their terms were FAR better than Toyota's and their customer service was excellent.
  • Options
    On several occasions lately, I've discovered the trunk of my Limited standing open because the trunk button on my remote has been triggered while in my pocket. (Fortunately, this hasn't happened yet during a NH snowstorm.)

I assume this is just a case of my other keys pressing on the button while in my pocket. Is anyone else having trouble with this? If so, do you have any clever solutions?

I'm thinking of devising some sort of cover for the buttons to protect them while in my pocket but wondered if some of those fertile minds out there had already solved this problem.
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Anyone know if Toyota offers a upgrade kit to increase 3.5L Avalon stock engine to 306 HP of IS 350?
  • Options
    OK so its Toyota playing lease games, but I wonder what you can possibly be wanting on the Avalon that gets it up to $42k - guessing some wheels and tires that will likely screw up the car while looking 'cool'?
  • Options
    Anyone know if Toyota offers a upgrade kit to increase 3.5L Avalon stock engine to 306 HP of IS 350?

Why?

Can anyone really need more power in a 4 door sedan? The 268 or 280 or whatever I already have generally scares me when I put my foot in it. I'm actually having to learn NOT to put my foot to the floor unless I have lots of empty road ahead of me! (And, no, I'm not some old guy who's afraid to drive the speed limit -- middle aged & can see without glasses.)

If I want to go faster than my Avalon Limited is capable then I'd rather do it in something that's much lower to the ground with a suspension that's beyond "firm". (And maybe roll bars & 5 point seat belts.) :P
  • Options
    limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    The trunk open button only operates if held down for 2-3 seconds. I've not had trouble with mine in my pocket. Hope you find a solution for your problem.
  • Options
    gs3gs3 Member Posts: 11
    it can't be done by a kit upgrade. the internal parts of the engine is a little different and the IS is direct injection. best bet will be just do an engine swap if thats possible or wait and see if any after market force inductions are made for the avalon. :)
  • Options
    the 2GR engines are to my knowledge both 2 stage, multiple injector (2 per cylinder - one into the intake manifold, the other directly into the cylinder head. Suspect that the extra HP more a result of intake and exhaust manifold tuning (the traditional way of picking up a few horses) and some computer chip mods (the new way). But agree with some of the other posters here - what do think you are going to able to do with 300+ horses in a FWD drive car and with a 'soft' chassis designed to handle 40hp less? A 'rice rocket' the Avalon will never be - better to go out and buy a WRX or Evo, or a probably engineered German car designed for that kind of thing - for $20k more.
    Kind of like going out and putting 19 or 20" wheels with some nasty 40 series tires on the Avalon and then wondering what happened to your ride quality along with your braking capability!
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the info/comments.

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    As you point out, no one needs it. Not only that, even if someone wants it, the extra horses and torque will mean very little.

At 306 hp and a reasonable gain in torque (and no other changes), the 3600+ pound loaded Avalon would only drop about 0.4 seconds, if that, in the quarter mile run and add less than 5 mph to the (potential) top speed. These are not meaningful to most people and the top speed increase may not occur anyway if a speed limiter is added.

There may be, however, some marketing advantage to "300 hp" and if the gas mileage went up (somehow?) then ... maybe. Essentially, 268 is plenty for this car today, as you suggest.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I don't know if I would want 300+ Hp in a FWD car. This could cause major torque steer. 306 HP is fine for the RWD Lexus IS350 and the upcoming GS350 but for the Avalon it is way too much power. But I do hope it gets the new six speed auto from the 07 Camry.
  • Options
    alangcalangc Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Limited and am experiencing wind noise around both the driver and passenger front doors. I am taking it in for 5K service soon and intend to ask that both door seals be replaced. Does anyone know if this has solved the problem or has anyone else experienced a similar wind noise?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    or they could follow Cadillac's lead and dethrottle the engine if the driver attempts to go WOT from a standing stop, and "hair-trigger" the Trac system to be quick to dethrottle at the first instance of wheelspin.

Or they could simply fill the front bumper with lead instead of styrofoam.
  • Options
    gardnergardner Member Posts: 1
    Page 23 of my Owner's Manual says the dealer can set three options for opening the trunk: open by pressing remote twice, open by single press of remote regardless of length of time pressed (maybe this is how yours is now set?), and disable opening of trunk via remote control.
  • Options
    jjr1jjr1 Member Posts: 16
    I have an 06 xl and have wind noise outside my passenger window. The noise can be quieted by pressing on the inside of the door in back of the door handle from the inside. Also I believe the noise is turbulence from wind around the mirrors. I think larger seals around the bottom of the door window on the inside would help. My service manager said to report it to Toyota on the buyer survey and maybe they would contact me. I did. We'll see. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. Might have to do that to keep my trunk from filling with rain until I find a better solution.
  • Options
    joedbobjoedbob Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2005 Limited with 10,000 miles. Several times recently I have returned to my car, only to find the trunk popped open. Each time I know the trunk was closed and locked when I left the car. It has happened twice in the last two days.

Last night, I parked on the street to visit a friend. When I returned, the trunk was open again. This time my brand new Sears 1/2" inch cordless drill and light kit had been stolen from the open trunk. There was no evidence of forced opening and I distinctly remember making sure the trunk was closed and locked after placing the drill in it. I was inside a house but close enough to have heard the "beep" tone if I had accidentally depressed the button on my remote.

I seem to remember some recent posts with the same problem but I couldn’t find any by searching this forum. Has anyone else had a similar problem with unexplainable trunk openings?
  • Options
    henryat1140henryat1140 Member Posts: 13
    I'm very interested in the Blue tooth/XM thread, here's my .02 cents

1. I really believe there is no Genuine Toyota Bluetooth upgrade kit. I've studied the shop manuals, and there's no place to splice in the Bluetooth function that I can see, therefore IMO it WILL require an upgraded Nav system from Toyota, as in 2007 for it to be really 'factory'.

2. As to the XM display - that could or could not be a function of the OEM radio system. As one poster points out there was always room for the complete display, but for some reason it was limited to ten characters. So my conjecture is the difference is in the XM add on and not the in-dash OEM unit. There has been at least one revision on the XM add-on, changing from a trunk mount to inside rear package mount for the antenna. So if you get the latest and greatest XM kit it will (might) have the full display.

3. Southeast Toyota as pointed out by Mackabee and others does a great deal of accessorizing on cars before they go to the dealership. You can see this if you look at the new car pricing in the Edmunds site. A number of items are listed at different prices in the southeast or only available in certain states. My wife's 2000 Camry for example had aftermarket spoiler, cruise control and remote entry added. All listed on an official looking window sticker. Since the accessories were put on before the car gets to the dealer, the salesman can say that 'it comes from the factory that way' not an untruth but not the whole story either.

4. The 2007 Camry DOES have bluetooth - this is covered in the 2007 Service manual on Techinfo, and I believe we'll see it as a real factory option on the 2007 Avalon.

5, I could be totally wrong, but I think what the bluetooth feature AS DISCUSSED HERE must be is a 3rd party aftermarket part that is adapted and installed at the distributor. I'd love to be wrong, and see it as a possible genuine factory upgrade to a 2006 but I don't think so.

6. Around here - Baltimore, it's amazing what the dealer/parts/salesmen DON'T know about the Avalon. I tried at least six sources at various dealerships and parts departments to find out HOW the song/artist info comes up on the XM band - and it was only on this forum that a true answer was provided.

Any other actual hard info, speculations, conjectures welcomed.
  • Options
    auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    I ordered my wife an Avalon today with Bluetooth Connection for $299. There are no bluetooth models on the ground yet in my region (SouthEast) but many equipped with Bluetooth in Sea Stock. I don't know the extent of the bluetooth intergration but I do know that the car I have ordered has the $299 package on it. It does as well have navigation and dvd headrest enertainment package.
  • Options
    avaronavaron Member Posts: 3
    The lack of mp3 playback and Bluetooth can be a nagging annoyance to the AVALON owner/buyer who prefers it for the luxury features without the nameplate value;

I am hoping that the JBL 6disc changer can be changed by a replacement unit in the new model year Avalon.

I wonder what functionality one will lose by simply removing the JBL unit and attaching an aftermarket dash unit that can play mp3/xm? seems preferable to all the fuss one has to put up with trying to add an AUX input/XM tuner kit.
  • Options
    musoukamusouka Member Posts: 4
    I do suspect that the 2007 model will have MP3/WMA playing abilities. The 2007 Camry has those (in some trims at least) so it will only make sense to have this, plus a new 6-speed transmission on the Ava 07. Here is hoping that it will be the case, else...
  • Options
    lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    I have triggered my doors, panic and trunk many times. I'm trying to find a small plastic slip on case to prevent it from happening. One time I was working near the car and it went off three times, all when I bent over to pick up a tool.
  • Options
    pjincapjinca Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the 2 digit option code for the new bluetooth option in the Avalon? Thanks!
  • Options
    rufus5rufus5 Member Posts: 11
    reading this forum lately, I couldn't help but notice that the vast majority of posts concern radio and bluetooth items. I'm happy to not read about mechanical problems. My Avalon, just like the vast majority of the others, it just fine. :)
  • Options
    I've had the same problem although, so far, I've chalked it up to the remote button being pressed while in my pants pocket. I haven't had a chance to "prove" this by carefully keeping the remote on my desk to see if the problem goes away.

I suppose we could have spurious signals from alien ships....
  • Options
    algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Not true. :(

Just look for the enormous amount of complaints about the transmission hesitancy,windows not sealed and noisy, road noise, seats being very hard and terrible for trips,Navigation system being almost unusable, rattles everywhere, engines that sound like they are diesels and tappet like noise.
    This is very close to the worst car I have ever owned. I have a 2006 Limited and the dealer says all is normal but I had many Buicks before this and the last car was a Toy. Avalon XLS and it was better tan this car.

I test drove a Buick Lucerne Saturday and I love it. It is QUIET on the road and the tranny doesn't slip and the seats are great. As soon as the Nav, system comes out for the Lucerne I am dumping this toyota junk and trading up to the Lucerne. I really can't wait even though I will sustain a big loss but I'll be happy.

Al
  • Options
    micky1micky1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Avalon has 1500 miles and the cold start engine noise is not excessive. I have a hearing loss so it could be worse than I think. The noise does go away when the engine is warm (after 5 minutes or so). I have the car in the shop for a couple days so hope Toyota can provide an answer.
  • Options
    You know that the LaCrosse has been such a box office and repair history smash, Buick is already having problems giving away the silly things therefore you should wait just a little while - it sure looks like your treasured Lucerne will be available at enough of a discount to cover your imaginary losses. Or maybe you better do it now, before GM closes its doors.
  • Options
    Why should there be ANY cold start noise. My 2002 XLS Avalon was so quiet in the car you could hardly know it was running. This new engine is junk. Yes, its faster but who needs it with all of the noise. When its hot you can hear it in the cabin.

Mine has 7000 miles and it got worse as the miles cranked up. There is now a constant tapping sound. Dealer says it normal and will ot be a problem.
    Sure, Right :cry:
  • Options
    I don't care about the LaCrosse. The Lucerene is doing well according to the dealer. I will wait for the NAV system as I think its a must have.

I've put up with the engine noise, wind noise, road noise and the indecisive transmission while sitting on hard seats this long. I can wait till about April. The Buick dealer suggests I seel the Avalon my self as he really doesn't want it on the lot as people will think its a lemon (Opps,by golly it is)
  • Options
    msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    I took my car into the dealership today for the rubber seal problem and offered to show it to the tech and he said that's ok because we've had others with the same problem and we replaced them. I came back to get my car and was told they lubricated the seal instead. I was soooo upset. He later told his Mgr he didn't say he would replace it. My seal was sticking out in the middle on the passenger side only and making a squeaking noise when the window was raised. When I pointed out that it wasn't like this on the drivers side and I wanted it fixed the Mgr states he would replace the seal because he had never seen one like it and it wasn't right - REALLY!!. They said they will replace it tomorrow! My view of this Wonderful dealership has changed :mad: .
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi:
    As an owner of an 05 Avalon XLS, I can say without hesitation that the advent of the new Camry makes the purchase of an Avalon an extravagance extremely difficult to justify - unless you need genuine seating for five, and the new Camry can match the 5-star crash ratings earned by the Avalon. No midsize car, 07 Camry, Accord, Maxima, etc can seat three normal adults in the rear.

Besides, the Camry has the new 6spd tranny (a huge plus!), and has essentially the same trim levels as Avalon. I don't know what few options are available on 06 Avalons that aren't on the 07 Camry, but I'll venture to guess they are more sybaritic than of substance, and their cost likely makes the already significant price difference between the two cars even harder to justify.

An 07 Camry SE V6 is a no-brainer if you like the Avalon Touring, and so on down the line. I may just trade in on the new Camry in a year or so as the bugs get worked out of the new model and my dragon (mother)-in-law moves out when my youngest turns two (me+wife+two kids+dragon=5).

Styling is in the eye of the beholder, but I like the Camry proportions more than the Avalon, particularly in teh SE trim as seen in all the car mags this month. With an Avalon engine, less weight and an updated transmission, the Camry should be marginally quicker than the Avalon and may also get marginally better fuel economy, regardless of what Toyota factory specs are - we'll see.

Hope I've helped.
    Regards,
    Deanie

P.S. I love my Avalon. I only wish it handled better (the Touring was unavailable w/VSC when I bought, so I couldn't get it but had to buy a new car at the time).
  • Options
    johnj3johnj3 Member Posts: 5
    Any word on when the 2007 Avalon will be released? Will it have the 6 speed transmission? :confuse: