Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    boots3boots3 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. What I found was, that after leaving the dealership yesterday, I left one of the smart keys in the car. Apparently, the system would not allow the car to be unlocked without the press of the button as part of the anti-theft system. So much new stuff to figure out and get used to with this car. :)
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    On her car if you close the door with a key left inside the horn will honk 3 times to tell you.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Unfortunately you were not given a complete 'delivery' when you purchased your Prius. It takes about an hour to do it correctly.

Not being in your shoes I can only guess what's happening. Since you can start the vehicle with the fob in your pocket then you presumably have a Package #2 - #6. Package #1 is mainly for rental vehicles and does not have the SKS enabled. Since the push button start works with the fob in your pocket then the 'KEY' button under the steering wheel is not pushed in deactivating the 5 sensors.

When your approach one of the two front doors you should only touch the inside of the door handle. Don't touch the door handle and touch the black button on the outside at the same time ( see below ). There are 5 proximity sensors in your vehicle that will recognize the fob when you come within a meter of one of them. You must be within range for the SKS to be enabled. You can't stand 15 ft away and have someone else try to walk up and get into the vehicle.

The black button on the outside of the two front doors are intended only for locking the vehicle when you walk away. It serves no other purpose. After you close the doors just press the black square button and all 5 doors will lock.

You can't lock the vehicle with the engine running.
    You can't lock the vehicle with the engine off but with the fob still inside the car.
    You can lock the vehicle with the engine off but with one or two passengers in the front seats. There are weight sensors designed into the SKS system. Amazingly smart.
    You can lock the vehicle with the engine running if you use the 'secret' manual key and the keyhole in the driver's door. Good for pets in the summertime. Another amazingly well thought out nuance.
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I left one of the smart keys in the car. Apparently, the system would not allow the car to be unlocked without the press of the button as part of the anti-theft system.

You cannot lock the car using one of the external buttons when a key fob is in the car either. You have to use a remote button.
  • Options
    vanderhorstgvanderhorstg Member Posts: 17
    I'm going to be in Hawaii for 3 weeks and leaving my 2006 Prius in the driveway. I don't have the Smart Key system, just the basic key fob. for locking/unlocking the doors & starting the car. I typically drive it everyday day, 5-10 miles, and at least one freeway trip of 120 miles/week. Please confirm that I don't need to have my cat-sitter add starting the Prius to her list of duties! I live in the Pacific Northwest where we "typically" have mild winters...:)
    I love my Prius, and want to keep her healthy!
  • Options
    No you don't have to leave your Prius with a carsitter. It's only the 5 SKS antennas that need to be disabled for trips of more than 4 weeks. Since yours doesn't have the SKS don't worry.
  • Options
    vanderhorstgvanderhorstg Member Posts: 17
    Thank you so much!
  • Options
    Anyone who can afford to go to the big island can afford a jump when they get home. :shades: :P Just kidding. Enjoy, It supposed to be below 0 here tonight so I wish I was going too. :sick:
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    As my local dealer made clear to me, the Prius should be fine. He said that in rare cases the "Smart Key" models have been prone to occasional drainage and, more often than not, because of owner mistakes. I own an '04 Prius with all original batteries. Not one problem. By the way. I just recently checked with my local dealer "Lake-Shore Toyota in Burns Harbor, Indiana and the cost of replacment of ...small utility battery..$152.57 and the large battery..$2,588.00. He also pointed out that he's never replaced one Lrg. Battery in 6 yrs. and he also pointed out that a few Large batteries have been serviced by replacement of only "bad cell" units thus reduceing the cost of repair although he has yet to do this service @ his dealership. This is good to know. Shop around. My car is closing in on 100K miles and 6 yrs of touble free service. Whats not to like? ;)
  • Options
    stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    James: I am in a situation similar to you. I have a 2004 (only 50,000 miles) and love the car. I have been waiting for the new version for several years. Now it looks like it will not have Li-On batteries when it comes out but that will not deter me.
    I have had two instances of "dead battery", one a week after I got the car and a second about a year ago. Both times a quick jump was all it took to start the computer, then the big battery started the car.
    I've since made the cigarette lighter "ON" all the time so I could plug in a small 12V Autosport Jumper battery to start the computer. That should work but I never actually tried it and that battery is always dead.
    I am thinking about changing the small Prius battery just based upon age. Since I didn't do it before this winter started, I will probably do it next fall. Does anyone know if there are other sources for that size battery or must it come from Toyota. The $153 price is high but not impossible if that is the only source. I will ask my Toyota dealer and post his reply.
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Maybe a battery test of the "small" battery is in order and could tell you the condition of your battery? These are almost as special as the "big" batteries. I have been unable to locate any non Toyota small batteries. No other supplier is available at this time as far as I know. Keep in touch
  • Options
    johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Hello,
    If I don't get a new Fit , I'm going to get on a waiting list for the new Honda Insight or next year's new 2010 Prius.

But would someone please explain the difference between a mild hybrid and a full hybrid? Is the fundamental difference that a Toyota Hybrid system can move forward / propel itself on its electric battery power alone (up to a certain speed) while the Honda Hybrid system ALWAYS has to have its ICE gas engine on?

Do they both shut down at redlights and stop signs? Any hesitation on re-start (safety concern - I don't want to be T-boned when ready to turn left)?

Thank you.
  • Options
    rick294rick294 Member Posts: 77
    I just read about this two days ago, and already I've forgotten what I read! However, the Honda Fit is a superb vehicle. It was great for 08 and ever better for 09 (what I've read). I believe that the info you provided about the diff between full and mild hybrids is correct, however. Don't be concerned about being T-boned. There is NO lag, whatsoever, in restarting. The slightest touch on the gas pedal restarts the vehicle instantly. The Toyota products do get a bit better mileage over the Hondas, and yes, it has to do with their individual hybrid systems. Try not to be in too much of a rush to buy. Over the next two years, hybrids and full plug-ins are going to be coming on line fast. If unsure which way to go on hybrids, buy the Fit. My wife and I have a 2008 Prius. We just love it, regardless of the price of gas. Our new president is reportedly not interested in going after our own oil resources and that is going to create another gas crisis, guaranteed.
  • Options
    It seems that you have already done so but you should drive all three vehicles and see which one suits you best. Everyone's needs and preferences are different. Mine was .. first consideration, all compacts were eliminated.

Regarding the shutoff/startup feature it's a non-issue in the Prius. In most cases when you're at a light or at a turn you will be the first one off the line by at least a car length. That's due to the high insta-torque feature of the e-motor. The Prius will never win a drag race against a modern V6 but it will be 'off the line' quicker. It's very nearly the same as the early 2000's I4s.
  • Options
    Thanks rick294 & kdhspyder - good info on the instant start - no need to worry.

Do you know however whether or not the new Insight is able to move forward silently under electric power only or is the gas engine always on? I understand that the Prius can propel itself under electric only - the strong torque that you referenced above.

Just want to clarify this point. I think that would be the difference btwn full (Toy) and mild (Honda) hybrid.

Is this an important consideration in purchase? Thanks again.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Simple question, especially for Toyota salespeople like kdhspyder: has anyone ever experienced or even heard of someone trading in an SUV on a Prius (or getting rid of the SUV some other way in favor of a Prius)? Or in other words, can an SUVer find happiness with the Prius?
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I don't see why not. We traded a minivan for one.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Thanks, but I was specifically wondering about an SUV-for-Prius swap.

Back in 2004 I was all set to move from a minivan to a Prius, but a delay in getting the Prius nixed that. But I could be making that jump in a few years when we say good-bye to our last-ever (?) minivan.
  • Options
    No in Honda's IMA hybrid system the e-motor is just an assist for the ICE. It doesn't drive the vehicle by itself.
  • Options
    I've had multiple instances even last year alone.

Two Navy officers.. One traded her 07 Acadia loaded ==> Prius Pckg #6. Then a week later the other officer bought a loaded TCH so that he could park his 2500 Cummins.

A retired couple who purchased one of the first RX 300's back in 98 traded it for a loaded Pckg #6.

There are others I'm sure but these two leap to mind.
  • Options
    Thanks again - that's exactly the confirmation I was after. In general is that a dealbreaker that the Honda IMA system cannot propel itself under electric only?

This is a subtle but important difference in functionality that probably goes unnoticed by hybrid car buyers....

Is it worth spending more for the higher level of technology in the Toyota hybrid system? I do prefer Honda's over Toyotas in general but this might sway me to cough up more for the 2010 Prius over the 2009 New Insight....
  • Options
    You'll really have to drive both vehicles when they are out in early summer because there is likely to be a HUGE difference in price between the Insight and the 2010 Prius. Toyota is talking about holding the current 2009 Prius in production for some period and stripping it down somewhat so that it's in competition with the new Insight.

In early reports the Insight will be smaller and not as refined as the Gen 2 Prius. Thus it will not be as quick, powerful, fuel efficient and roomy as the Gen 3 Prius. So there's going to be a significant price difference. However if the 2009's continue in production and can be had at $20K or less then they are a direct competitor in that buying demographic.
  • Options
    avaloncruiseravaloncruiser Member Posts: 19
    Hubby just purchased a 09 Prius and they wanted 2K for the Elite Extended warranty. I seem to remember seeing where you could purchase this warranty cheaper through a couple of dealers in the mid-west but I can't seem to find that post now....it has been over a year and I can't find in with a search. Seems folks were getting warranties for 1/2 the price that their local dealers were quoting. Anyone know where I can find a better deal?
  • Options
    I've heard of those much-cheaper warranties, too. Try Googling "Cheap Toyota warranties" or something to that effect. :)
  • Options
    etpetp Member Posts: 155
    I guess 0w30 is not allowed!
  • Options
    etpetp Member Posts: 155
    Also anyone get the valves adjusted? seems like I saw that in a service schedule somewhere.
  • Options
    #7368 - I think it's a safe assumption that most (not all) people who buy SUVs do so for image reasons. "I'm bigger and tougher than you - get out of my lane" - that kind of thing. They especially enjoy attempting to intimidate "green" or "Prius" types (my wife and I own a 2008 and love it). And the worst of all are the Dodge people. (Thanks to all that aggressive advertising). In fact, the police have a term for it - "Dodge truck drivers". (Really). I don't know if the new Insight has an always-on gas engine or not, but it gets noticeably less gas mileage than the 2010 Prius is rated at. SUV people are, in large part, image people. Also applies to many full-size "domestic" truck drivers (what's 'domestic' anymore - made in Canada/assembled in Mexico??) The fastest drivers on the highway are usually the ones driving the poorest mileage vehicles. I.e. trucks and SUVs. Not counting commercial freight trucks, of course.
  • Options
    Straight 30 weight? I wouldn't put that in anything roadworthy, nowadays. Primarily for lawn tractors, weed trimmers I believe. In my Prius, I use 5-30, like the book says.
    Ignore mechanics who claim 5-30 is too thin and will cause problems. The factory knows its own products better.
  • Options
    Thats true. I have a 38 foot class A motorhome that weighs about 22,000 lbs and I used to tow a 2004 Colorado Crewcab 4 X 4 behind it. Thats 27000lbs of weigh on the 8.1 L (496cu.in.) engine at 340 horsepower. I have had it for almost 8 years and GM calls for 5W30 in that too and I go all season changing it each fall before storing it as I don't usually get enough miles on it to require a change and with 30K on it not more than 1/2 quart have I ever had to add between oil changes and that was due to alot of mountain driving where the foot was to the floor most of the time in order to make it to the top even though that was usually my best mpg due to the low speeds. So don't worry about the 5W30 as modern oils are a far cry from 20 years ago when we all used 10W40's which most manufacturers now frown upon.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    #7368 - I think it's a safe assumption that most (not all) people who buy SUVs do so for image reasons. "I'm bigger and tougher than you - get out of my lane" - that kind of thing. They especially enjoy attempting to intimidate "green" or "Prius" types (my wife and I own a 2008 and love it).

Someone's paranoid. Some SUV owners live in snow areas, on hills, haul kids and tow. In my case all four. Intimidating Green or Prius types has never crossed my mind when I drive the SUV, nor does it cross my mind when I'm driving my hybrid.
  • Options
    has anyone ever experienced or even heard of someone trading in an SUV on a Prius (or getting rid of the SUV some other way in favor of a Prius)?

LOL, I have a HH and a Ford Expedition. I'm planning on a 2010 Prius and contemplating letting the Expedition go. If I keep the Expedition it will be used only for towing and travel when the whole family goes in one vehicle. I love the comfort but just don't feel like I should drive something like that 20,000 miles a year. However, if I only could afford 1 vehicle to do everything I wanted in a vehicle then the Expedition is high on my list. That, simply enough, is the reason there are a lot of SUV's on the road. They do it all and not everyone can afford a fleet to have individual needs met.

I'm just wishing the Vette was available in a hybrid.
  • Options
    Not paranoid - I have a 74 mile per day commute. It happens every day. The bigger the truck, the least economical, the faster they go and the closer to my back bumper.
    I'm pleased you don't drive that way, but you are definitely in the minority. I speak strictly from daily experience. By "intimidating", I meant aggressive driving and surging up on my Prius from the rear as if to say, "get out of my lane." Makes no difference how fast I'm going - it's a matter of who "owns" the lane.
  • Options
    By "intimidating", I meant aggressive driving and surging up on my Prius from the rear as if to say, "get out of my lane." Makes no difference how fast I'm going - it's a matter of who "owns" the lane.

I understand, but by using the word intimidating and describing it as because you drive a Prius makes it sound like they are intentionally picking on you because you are "green" or drive a Prius.

Fact is they are idiots that can't drive. That happens in all types of vehicles including people in economy cars and all across the country.

I'll assume you're not one of the idiots that get in the left lane and assume since you're driving the limit you have a right to be there. If you are then I'd probably push you too eventually. No one owns the lane. Our law states you will stay to the right except when passing. The Europeans have this down. It's just curtious driving.

If you're in the right lane and they still do that to you then you're allowed to be smug so go ahead and flip them off.
  • Options
    I drive a Prius and no one ever passes me or gets away from a line faster than I do. OK slight exageration :surprise:

After 3-1/2 yrs and 111,000 miles in mine I don't see any of that excessive agression from any driver in any vehicle. Well there is one story where one driver sped up to block me from merging from two lanes into one....so I clicked the Prius into 4WD mode, drove along the grassy shoulder and slipped in ahead of him. But that's about it. ( Oh! Yes I was a taxi driver in NYC while in college ).
  • Options
    You can't intimidate a NY Taxi Driver. They scare the #$@% out of me. Especially the two times I drove my Expedition downtown to show the kids Times Square at night.
  • Options
    tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    You can't intimidate a NY Taxi Driver. They scare the #$% out of me. Especially the two times I drove my Expedition downtown to show the kids Times Square at night.

Hey, I learned to drive in Massachusetts. We scare New York Taxi drivers! :P
    Never had a taxi or anyone from a State other than Mass intimidate me.
    All Mass drivers know they own the road. :blush:
    Thankfully I no longer drive like that.
  • Options
    zippcomanzippcoman Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new member so Hello to all,

Two weeks ago I attended a Green Fair near Seattle and saw the world's first Hybrid front license plate cover on a 100 mpg Prius. IT WAS AMAZING! What it does is make the front license plate aerodynamically disappear! I was told the flat license plate on the front of my Prius creates so much drag (With Out a Zippco Cover), that it consumes 50+ gallons of fuel a year. Not only that, a flat plate also creates a high pressure point at the front causing a disruptive air turbulence over the streamlined Prius body substantially reducing the effect to help it slip through the air to conserve fuel. Its called zippco usa, and was told they'll be on the market soon and retail for about $30 bucks. After seeing it, I can't imagine driving my Prius an other mile with out it.. If anyone locates these zippco Hybrid lic covers Pls Let Me Know...!
  • Options
    Ummmmm?
  • Options
    dkrellerdkreller Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

This message to Prius owners. PUT ONLY GAS NOT CONTAINING ETHANOL IN YOUR CAR!!!!

I have a 2007 Prius. When it was new I would regularly get 48 mpg. This was based on my own keeping records - not trusting the car which usually overestimated the mileage by a bit (~2 mpg). When it was new it could usually go about 430 miles on a tank of gas. However my car has been getting worse and worse mileage over the last year or so. There were several tanks of gas that the car wouldn't even go 400 mi before I had to fill it up again. I had this strong suspicion that the problem was gasoline containing ethanol. Fortunately for me I get most of my gas in Augusta GA and a new little gas station opened up that sells only gas containing NO ethanol. It has taken a few tanks, but now my car is getting BETTER MILEAGE THAN EVER. Right now it has gone 475 mi on a tank of gas an I am pretty sure I could go another 20 mi before I absolutely have to gas up again.

Gas containing ethanol is a big scam, in my opinion. We have to pay the same price for it, but it carries less energy per unit volume because of the ethanol. Also, all that corn grown in the midwest takes a lot of energy, water, and agrochemicals to grow. Corn has a lot of run-off and the chemicals and fertilizer run-off into the Mississippi and eventually into the Gulf, where they contribute to the big eutrophic 'dead zones' in the ocean. So your and my dollars are helping one of the most stupid policies in the history of mankind. Do I have strong feelings about this? Sure do! Not gonna take it any more. Hopefully the new government pays attention to logic and scientific/natural reality a little better than the last and we can get rid of some of these really poor policies that the last administration put in place.

Dave
  • Options
    one born every minute...

Assuming you drove 12,000 miles / year at 50 mpg, you'd use 240 gallons. If this miracle cover saved you 50 gallons, then for the same miles on 190 gallons you would be getting 63mpg. Pretty incredible results. Almost unbelievable.

I'm surprised Toyota didn't develop this (that's sarcasm for those of you who believed his ad in the first place)

I'd recommend you move to a state like mine where an ugly front plate is not required anyway.
  • Options
    While I support using less foreign oil, I prefer not to do it by messing up the food chain so that millions in developing countries are now without food due to our need to put ethanol in our gasoline.
  • Options
    GM uses a number of flex fuel vehicles which run on the E85 which is 85%ethanol. GM says unless the E85 is a minimum of 40 cents a gal. less you are better off burning real gas. The type you are talking about is only 10% and costs you about 10%+ less mpg's. Luckly around where I live most of the stations sell real gas with only a few selling the Ethanol in the gas and for the same amount. While in Co. last summer their E85 was almost a buck cheaper per gal than here in Mi. at the time and we have a bunch of factories making that stuff. Go figure.
  • Options
    God another tinfoil-hat-wearer??

I've been using both in my Prius for over 18 months. VA always has E10 in its gas while NC often is 100% gas. Yes you do lose something in FE values because of the lesser amount of BTUs but the price is also lower. Net difference? ZERO.

Next case.
  • Options
    I'm in New Hampshire and 10% ethanol is mandatory here. So if you want real gas you have to find a State that sells it. I think Mass and Maine are all also 10% ethanol no idea about Vermont. I think the EPA should rate all cars using the 10% ethanol since many of us do not have a choice in the matter. It's like using winter fuel all year round except in winter fuel economy drops even lower. :sick:
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just an FYI, we have an entire discussion about the boondoggle known as ethanol you might want to chime in on...

The Inconvenient Truth About Ethanol
  • Options
    I lose about 4 mpg city driving in the winter and I use real gas. :sick:
  • Options
    I lose about 4 mpg city driving in the winter and I use real gas.

You are fortunate to be able to buy real gas. We get about 4-5 mpg less due to ethanol and then in the winter another 3-4 mpg. A Honda Fit Sport should do better than 28 mpg combined in the winter and that was the best we could get. We are up to 34 mpg combined now.
  • Options
    Sorry I have to get political, Dave, but this new administration is interested only in "symbolism" not substance. If the use of ethanol makes him "look" greener, then it will be with us until he leaves office (sooner the better).
  • Options
    dkrellerdkreller Member Posts: 5
    Hi Rick,

You are welcome to your opinion, just as I am mine. I have no problem discussing it. What I see is that this administration has already made several concrete changes in environmental policy. As an environmental scientist myself, I see a fairly significant change in the climate in this country. Environmental education and environmental research have been stimulated as well in addition to the policy changes. The change in climate is what really matters in my opinion. A lot of changes will follow, now that the discussion has matured.

Of course dyed in the wool republicans, especially the religious right, won't like this guy no matter what he does, due to their adherence to unsubstantiated dogma and their incapability to weigh scientific evidence. This guy is not perfect, but he is a lot better than the last few guys in that office. He has intellectual humility, and he uses reason. I feel like it is okay once again, for the first time in a long time in this country, to actually think rationally.

Let's a) watch him carefully and get involved in the debate and help positive concrete change happen and b) work together. Meet you in the middle, at the NO ethanol gas station, okay Rick?

Feel free to elaborate on your reservations about Obama. I am very interested in learning more.

Cheers,

Dave
  • Options
    dyed in the wool republicans, especially the religious right

I'm one of those.

I've driven a TCH and now am in a HH. Plan to buy a 2010 Prius but the more I read the less I am inclinded. It seems like driving a Prius, more so than any other hybrid, is all about making a statement. Mostly statements I don't agree with, nor do I believe it is scientific fact (there are other forums for that discussion). Is it possible to own a Prius and still believe we should be drilling offshore, that whales are good eatin', that Ice melts reguardless of climate change. Heck, I don't want it to get cold enough to keep the ice frozen.

But then again, what do I know, I'm just a knuckle dragging religious right capitalist republican.