Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Options
    sidruidsidruid Member Posts: 8
    I actually thought this was a pretty accurate reply. There've been a lot of repeated complaints from a very small number of participants on this forum. I do hope that anyone researching the Mazda 3 compares the number of users posting here with problems and not the number of posts. While I appreciate knowing about the problems you guys are running into, the whining and griping about the manufacturer only detracts from my perception of the complaint's validity.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    So - if the number of people with a problem is very small then it is OK if the manufacturer just ignores the problem? Is that what you think?

But wait - if it was only a few cars that have the problem - then it would be easy to determine what is causing the problem - because it must be the result of one defective part. So it would be easy to fix.

Doesn't it seem much more likely - the reason Mazda is not fixing this problem is because there are many cars that have it? Plus the problem is not just one defective part but either a poorly designed system - or a combination of defective parts that would be very expensive to fix.

Maybe you can tell me - why do you think Mazda is not / will not fix the cars that have weak AC systems?
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Bill, when a single poster continues to complain about an issue over a two year period, I think *most* of us would consider that excessive.

The current car seems to have a fine (if not an over-enthusiastic) AC. And most Mazda3 owners absolutely *love* their cars... :)
  • Options
    So if a car has many positive things - take your pick - great handling - power - MPG - style - whatever - then it is OK if the manufacturer just leaves some owners with OBVIOUS problems?

Sure I see the many positive things in the Mazda3 - why do you think I bought it in the first place?

But one has nothing to do with the other. Does it?

So in your world if a car is boring - has crummy handling - poor ride - gets horrible MPG - then the manufacturer should honor the warranty and fix a defective AC system? But if the car is fun to drive then give them a pass on other defects.

I think most will agree - every car company makes a few mistakes - its WHAT DO THEY DO ABOUT IT. Mazda does nothing.

Does the fact that I have had a poor performing AC system for 2 years make the situation somehow less important?

Just be happy that you were LUCKY enough to get a good AC system (or at least an acceptable one) because - EVEN THOUGH SOME CARS HAVE HAD AC PROBLEMS FOR OVER TWO YEARS - Mazda has done nothing to fix the problem.

This is not like fine wine - it does not get better with age.
  • Options
    I am sympathetic that you are not happy with your car or Mazda's inability or unwillingness to fix it.

However, we don't need to have the story repeated fifty times in a two year period, either.
  • Options
    obtubeobtube Member Posts: 5
    I would give away my A/C if I could get the other problems with my Mazda3s fixed - that's the least of my issues.

I just put the A/C on and put the air to "recycle" and that is good enough for me.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    z71bill,

Very few cars get better age.. I have never, ever found the "perfect car". In some cases you may have to sacrifice a more powerful A/C system for a vehicle that has so many other benefits (good MPG, good handling, good engine, good features, good price).

I am still on the fence with buying the Mazda3 vs the 06 Civic (definitely leaning towards the 3), but both vehicles have their pros and cons. I have owned them all from Japanese, to American, to German, and all have had their own idiosyncrasies, and faults. The expensive German sports sedan was both the most fun to drive and the most problematic of the lot.. I have always found the Japansese makers to be more reliable ( I have owned 3 Mazdas, 4 Nissans, and 1 Honda). But that is my experience.

That said, the Mazda 3 has an excellent (at least in my area) resale value. You should easily be able to sell it for a same model year Civic or Corolla... Life is too short...
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Ok for the whinners who are whining about the whinners give it a rest. If you do not like the topic of the post skip it and go to the next, no one is twisting your arm to read it. Keep your comments about the posters to yourself.
    In fact I am glad the A/C and other issues pops up once in a while, reason, maybe someone new here has not have the time to go through a lot of pages just to read something they would be interested in. Some times searching doesn't help
    Someone in another Mazda forum has come up with a solution for the weak A/C to have the compressor run a little longer. But maybe I should not post it here as this topic has been beaten to death here and some of you think it should be dropped. I say keep bringing it on.
    Mazda A/C sucks...by the way at the same forum they have a poll asking if the A/C in their car is weak and 51% so far say yes, 20% say sometimes, not sure what sometimes means, and 5% only in the city. So stop showing yourself as a Mazda employee
  • Options
    yu203964yu203964 Member Posts: 35
    Bill is a valuable poster in this forum. He knew the problems of M3 inside out. Whenever I posted a problem, he could provide an useful advice. So keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    RE: AC Issues on the M3.

I may start a whole new topic just for M3 AC problems. I'll post the link and let you all know. That way, all who wish to focus just on that issue can do so as much as they want, while more general problems can remain here.

Shifty the Host
  • Options
    Okay, here's the new home for ALL Mazda3 AC Issues:

Mazda3 AC Issues

See you there!

In the future, I will physically move all Mazda3 AC complaints poster here, over to there. So if that 's your complaint, try there first!

thanks,

Shifty the Host
  • Options
    gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    Ok, I know the Mazda3 is technically an economy car, but is anyone else bothered by the paint quality? I mentioned this to a salesman and he acted surprised. He said Mazda has won awards for paint quality, but the Mazda 3 looks (to me) like the clear coat was skipped. It doesn't have that smooth, glossy finish. I saw the same finish on a Mazda 6 too. Am I just spoiled by my Integra, which looks like glass?

• Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Ok, I know the Mazda3 is technically an economy car, but is anyone else bothered by the paint quality?"

No. Mine's fine. I get more raves about the winning blue color than any other car I've owned
  • Options
    Someone has posted a reportedly good fix for the Mazda3's reportedly insufficient AC. The fix apparently improves AC operation and cycling. Link is here:

Mazda3 AC Fix

Mrshiftright
    Host
  • Options
    missbethmissbeth Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a mazda 3s, but it is in the shop to add leather heated seats, spoiler, and moon roof. The dealer ship has given me a mazda 3i to drive until mine gets done. I noticed the maxda 3i actually gets worse gas milage than better. its automatic and gets stuck in 2nd gear all the time. I have to use more gas just to make it get up and go. My mazda 3s has 10 more horse power. It makes a big difference. Is this a big problem for the mazda 3i? :lemon:
  • Options
    ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Someone has posted a reportedly good fix for the Mazda3's reportedly insufficient AC. The fix apparently improves AC operation and cycling. Link is here:

Mazda3 AC Fix

Mrshiftright
    Host

Hmm, I don't remember changing my name to "Someone". :P
  • Options
    My paint doesn't match on both sides of the driver and passenger doors. It's a tad darker than the rest of the car. Mazda and the body shops said it's weird. The car hasn't been painted. It looks like (Mazda won't admit it) that their robots painted the doors separately.
  • Options
    It is clear that you have had a bad experience, no-one is disputing that. But for the rest of us considering a new Mazda, we are measuring our chances of a similar experience. I don't care how loud you get, you are still only one case. Relative to everyone else's glowing reviews, that makes it a diminutive chance (true, not zero) that I won't have the same experience you have. Thank you for your input, it's been duly noted.
  • Options
    I just bought a mazda 3s, but it is in the shop to add leather heated seats, spoiler, and moon roof. The dealer ship has given me a mazda 3i to drive until mine gets done. I noticed the maxda 3i actually gets worse gas milage than better. its automatic and gets stuck in 2nd gear all the time. I have to use more gas just to make it get up and go. My mazda 3s has 10 more horse power. It makes a big difference. Is this a big problem for the mazda 3i?"

Most people get better mileage in the 3i. Maybe something is wrong with the trans.

Can I ask why you didn't get a grand touring, or the moonroof option? Aftermarket moonroofs are a bit risky, IMO...
  • Options
    Who are you to speak for "the rest of us considering a New Mazda" and who are you when you say "we are measuring our chances" for future Mazda 3 buyers. And who says he is "just one case" There have been many cases, go to the Mazda 3 A/C issue forum here and click onto the link and have a read. What glowing rave reviews? reliability? driving experience? what? Are you the spoke person for future Mazda 3 buyers?... don't think so, not for me anyways... :P sit down.
  • Options
    Thanks Nifty, your dozens of (duplicate) comments have also been "duly noted."

I appreciate everyone else's less biased observations, but there's clearly nothing else for me to see here.
    ciao.
  • Options
    It is clear that you have had a bad experience, no-one is disputing that. But for the rest of us considering a new Mazda, we are measuring our chances of a similar experience. I don't care how loud you get, you are still only one case. Relative to everyone else's glowing reviews, that makes it a diminutive chance (true, not zero) that I won't have the same experience you have. Thank you for your input, it's been duly noted.

No, he is not one case. He is one case of many. Knowledge is power dude....get some, unless of course you're a Mazda plant, then we know why you have this stubborn mentality.
  • Options
    I guess I was too lazy to give you credit, but we do appreciate all such helpful links! :P

Shifty the HOst
  • Options
    Gee thats to bad, did enjoying your comments.... ;):cry:
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    No, he is not one case. He is one case of many

How many individual complaints are you talking about? 10, 20? If the problem is as widespread as implied how come we are not seeing hundreds or thousands of complaints? I've been following the Acura trany problem and I have seen hundreds of complaints from all different people...unlike the 3 A/C complaints which seem to focus around a handful of people who post over and over.
  • Options
    outingsincoutingsinc Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone installed a cold air intake and have error codes pop up? I've heard that some systems do cause a code and others don't...If you've installed one and have had no problems can you please let me know which it is..I'm looking at the short ram K&N system.

Thanks

Outings Inc
    05 Mazda 3S hatchback
  • Options
    richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    unlike the 3 A/C complaints which seem to focus around a handful of people who post over and over.

The same small group of posters who complain on this forum also complain on the "other" Mazda3 forum. Here they reference their posts on the other forum and act like there is a large group of unhappy owners.

When all else fails they allege that happy Mazda owners must be Mazda corporate plants. We must be living in an Oliver Stone movie! At least z71bill has gone to great lengths to diagnose the problems with his vehicle.

I've had my 3 for over a year - it has been extremely reliable. I had one CEL - the dealer replaced the evaporator pump under the warranty. Other than that, no problems to report. I love driving the car - and it has been reliable - like the other four Mazdas that we've owned at various times over the past 26 years.
  • Options
    I don't really want to contribute to this subject too much further, but I noticed the other day that Consumer Reports gives the 2004 and 2005 Mazda3 a "better than average" for A/C reliability. I guess that means the CU readership isn't complaining too much... :)
  • Options
    eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    I have not posted in some time on this subject, but I have been following it closely. I have a thought that might be of some value to various factory representatives who I am sure(if the manufacturers have any smarts)are following these forms, as they are a source of valuable consumer experiences.

I originally drove the Mazda3 and liked it very much. On top of that, the salesman that I contacted, I liked very much and I was leaning heavily towards this vehicle.

Then I began to read about the air-conditioning problems that this car was having. Since I live in the Midwest and it can get extremely hot(105 plus degrees in the shade in July and August)I am very concerned about top-quality air-conditioning.

This reported problem was of such a concerned to me that I did not consider the Mazda3 as a viable automobile any longer.

So I wound up purchasing a Hyundai GLS I-4 with a lot of extras(sunroof, power driver's seat etc.) The air-conditioner on this automobile will "freeze you out" and I am constantly turning it down in order to stay comfortable. This is exactly what I want from an air-conditioning system.

I want to make this final point so that those potential factory representatives will not think I am being shortsighted.

My major concern about the Mazda automobile was the fact that no factory representatives have posted on this important thread. I posted earlier that "if you wanted to see how a responsible company handled a difficult situation to go to the Toyota discussion regarding their transmission problem on the 2007 Camry". The Toyota representatives posted again, and again, answering all questions until the board members were fully satisfied. That, more than anything else, told me that Mazda had little respect for customer opinion. That is the principal reason that they lost my business and Hyundai(who is making excellent cars now and getting excellent reviews, and selling at steep discounts)garnered my money. (Toyota and Honda blew me off, not wanting to deal!)

Manufacturers are making a very grave error, in my opinion, in not having a dedicated group of representatives responding on these boards the way Toyota did. Boards like Edmunds have a world wide readership, I feel sure, that are visited thousands of times a day. It is a very inexpensive way for manufacturers to address problems and get a lot of free advertising that really matters.

Just the point of view of an old man who bought its first new car in 14 years.

Thank you Edmunds for all the help.

(And no I do not work for Edmunds.com, or anyone else, I am retired)
  • Options
    I have not seen the Comsumer Report but the 2004 had a A/C issue, weak performance. Mazda put out a TSB to add a diffuser plate to improve the cooling. So how can Consumer Report say the 2004 A/C was "better than average" Maybe their average is really below average. Maybe CR should research the number of TSB for the 2004 that some have carried over to the 2005 and 2006. So CR doesn't give you all the facts or do they?? Do your own research.
    Please define "A/C reliabilty" ..yes mine is still working but below average. :sick: There is a difference..
  • Options
    What is it to you that posters have posted more than once here and other forums. So what. Proves nothing. Is every Mazda 3 owner here? No just a small handful..At the other Mazda 3 forum a poll, and you can only vote once, has 52% owners saying their A/C is weak. Total votes 220 so far.
    The reliability of the car is not the issue.
  • Options
    That would be something to see!

Toyota can come to Edmunds and talk about the tranny failure for one reason - because they plan to fix the problem NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES.

I would bet that EVER CUSTOMER that bought a Camry and has a tranny issue will have it fixed - as soon as possible - even if it costs MORE THAN THE AMOUNT TOYOTA MADE SELLING THE VEHICLE in the first place. Toyota can not afford to risk their reputation of reliability & customer service (expecially with the Camry).

Mazda reputation is not worth defending.

Imagine if you were the Mazda employee assigned to publicly answer questions from people who have defective AC systems - when the company has made the decision to DO NOTHING about the problem. What would you post? They would get pulverized.
  • Options
    I have written and said this before, CU aka Consumer Reports ratings are skewed. The only consumer ratings that is accurate when it comes to vehicle reliability is JD POWERS.

I also say this for the last time, those that tend to report praises or no complaints about their A/C either have one with auto climate control, have health issues where they feel typically cooler than the average person, or they have a personal interest in promoting or defending Mazda at any cost and are deliberately trying to negate the legitimate complaints about the Mazda 3 A/C in non auto climate control models.

BTW, my dealer confirmed with me today that another mod via TB will be soon available to help address the problem with the A/C. It doesn't do anything as far as increasing the compressor time. It may very well be like the diffuser plate issue which did almost nothing.
  • Options
    s10sondeks10sondek Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2005 Mazda3 Hatch (bought new, 2005) for 11 months, 9400 miles.

Last weekend, for the first time, I jumped a curb with my left rear tire while taking a left turn a bit too tight and fast. The car was jarred a bit, but it didn't seem that significant an impact at the time -- mostly just a routine, occasional screw-up the likes of which we all make during day-to-day driving.

Afterwards, the car's steering felt a TAD smoother towards the left compared to the ultra-crisp, slightly stiff feel of the right and pulled slightly to the left as well, so I took the vehicle in to my dealer to have them check it out. (yes, the first thing I did before taking it in was check tire pressure -- all were within 0.5 psig with digital TPG).

They diagnosed the problem as out-of-spec alignment and did a 4-wheel suspension alignment. Result: car didn't pull anymore, but BOTH DIRECTIONS of the steering are now looser than before.

So I took the car back in this morning and they re-did the alignment and claimed their tool was out of calibration the other day. They also apologized profusely for my lost time and inconvenience.

I just got the car back, and guess what: the looser steering problem persists!

What would cause the loosened steering feel after alignment and how could I get back the stiffer, crisp, immediate steering that the car had up until last weekend?

Are the vehicle's steering linkage components really so delicate as to warrant an exhaustive repair after one curb jump (even though the shop says alignment is OK)? And why would doing an alignment soften the steering feel?

What does everyone's steering feel like on their Mazda3 hatchbacks: stiff and controlled or more buttery smooth?

Please advise.
  • Options
    I have the S sedan - but as far as I know it is exactly the same set up as the hatch.

I would describe my steering as both buttery smooth and controlled.

I have never felt my steering was stiff.
  • Options
    I have written and said this before, CU aka Consumer Reports ratings are skewed. The only consumer ratings that is accurate when it comes to vehicle reliability is JD POWERS. "

I'm wondering why you think that CR is skewed, as opposed to JD Power? Doesn't it come from car owner surveys as well?

Isn't JD Power's claim to fame initial quality? 90 Days? What does that show in regard to reliability?
  • Options
    I also say this for the last time, those that tend to report praises or no complaints about their A/C either have one with auto climate control, have health issues where they feel typically cooler than the average person, or they have a personal interest in promoting or defending Mazda at any cost and are deliberately trying to negate the legitimate complaints about the Mazda 3 A/C in non auto climate control models. "

2006 Mazda3 owner. None of the above. My AC works fine
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I'm wondering why you think that CR is skewed, as opposed to JD Power?

It's because they don't agree with him.
  • Options
    richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    I also say this for the last time, those that tend to report praises or no complaints about their A/C either have one with auto climate control, have health issues where they feel typically cooler than the average person, or they have a personal interest in promoting or defending Mazda at any cost and are deliberately trying to negate the legitimate complaints about the Mazda 3 A/C in non auto climate control models.

My 2005 3 doesn't have auto climate control, I usually feel warm (health issue?), and I'm not trying to negate legitimate complaints.

Regarding CR and JD Powers (and other automotive sources), I take their info as something to consider - not the bible on what new car to buy. I think they lack consistency, I remember a CR auto issue awhile back where one article referred to the Mazda6 very favorably, while a ranking about 20 pages later in the same issue didn't recommend it - go figure. The reviewer(s) may value some characteristics much more (or less) than we do.
  • Options
    ex_tdier

Sorry, but you are way out of line.. At my office I know of three other people (besides myself) that own Mazda 3's. A 2005 Mazda 3s, a 2006 Mazda 3s, a 2005 Mazda 3s hatchback, and my 2006 Mazda 3i Touring. I talked to all of them about their Mazda's and NONE of them complained about the A/C ( and we live in an area of the country where it is very hot and humid in the summer). I have test driven three different Mazda 3's and none of them have an issue with temperature comfort. Only one has auto climate control. I do not agree with your philosophy that you have an issue therefore everybody has an issue. Go look at the user reviews at msn, yahoo, edmunds, etc. The Mazda 3 is one of the highest rated (by users) cars and folks do not seem to be unhappy with their A/C. Per Edmunds, the Mazda 3 has been awarded by both editors and consumers the past three years. Are you saying that everyone of these reviews and awards on all the sites I listed are bogus? I read all of the professional auto reviews of the Mazda 3 that I could find and not one complained about the A/C. Are all these professionals wrong? Don't you think that they tested the A/C as part of their review?

Where do you live? What color is your car? Do you have leather? I have driven a 3 on at least three days where the temperature exceeded 90 degrees (high humidity) in stop and go traffic and all of them were comfortable. The ambient temperature in mine ranges from 74-78 between setting 1 and 2. I rarely have it above three and usually leave it on 2 when it is over 85 degrees.

As for CR, it is not perfect but the latest information was taken from well over 1 million consumers who purchased vehicles. Their sample size is much larger than JD Powers.

Look, you have written a million times about this issue and I, for one, get it. You are unhappy. You cannot stay cool in your car (must live in a pretty hot climate). You are working with your dealer and it sounds like they are trying to help you. Mazda 3 resale is very strong right now. My recommendation to you is that if your dealer/Mazda cannot satisfy your issues is to sell or trade in your car for a same year Toyota/Hyundai/Honda.. Also there is a whole thread devoted to this issue (AC) and you should really stop complaining on this board about this issue unless you are posting something useful, like a solution.

Take care..
  • Options
    CR surveys their own readership aka subscribers. They don't survey others. Using the analogy, ask a Democrat who will make the best president, they will tell you another democrat. That's the problem with CR's survey.

dc_driver, it still sounds like you folks have the auto climate control model or have 2006 versions. i live in the west coast of Canada and it sure doesn't get too hot where I am. The inadequate cooling is common complaint about the A/C, not just in Canada. Our models are different than your Amercians, that's for sure. People have pretty much given up on Mazda in this regard. Everytime they go to the dealer they mention the problem but nothing is done, it performs within spec (well the spec is wrong). In other cases, they are oblivious and think it's normal. I see everyday lots of 3's with excessively dirty rear wheels while the fronts are fine. The new pads that took care of this problem have been available since February.

Make no mistake, the A/C issue is genuine and common. It's just a coincidence that the people you know share the same opinion as you. Mazda Canada has issue a TSB on the A/C issue (not the diffuser plate). I got an email from my dealer today and the parts are on order. I will be the guinea pig as far as the install goes...I am not sure if I like that.

Anyhow, I have no other explanation on why you're A/C is ok and those that you kow,other than what I have previously stated. Everyone I know, everywhere I read, whomever has a 3, either has a problem with their non auto climate controlled A/C or uses natural air conditioning: rolling down their windows.

Consider yourself one of the few lucky one's if you dont have the auto climate version, and don't forget, go buy a lottery ticket. :shades:
  • Options
    Isn't it amazing that their is 4 owners of the Mazda 3 working at the same place as you...Spent 4 weeks in Florida last year and in total saw only 10 Mazda 3. While in Canada I can see at least 2 to 3 at our large mall parking lot at any one time. Canada sells more M3 than in the U.S. You have a right to defend the car, but WHY would or do you? IF my A/C was great I would post here and just say its ok, I wouldn't go on and on and on defending the car, it works end of story and not put down those who are having a problem. Could please post the links to the Toyota/Hyundai/Honda A/C issues you have mentioned.
  • Options
    Wow you have spent your time checking who has posted more than once on this issue..who holds the record for the most posts?
  • Options
    "Isn't it amazing that their is 4 owners of the Mazda 3 working at the same place as you..."

I work for a very large Fortune 500 company and the office I work out of has over 200 cars in the parking garage. I also work in the tech industry and there are a lot of younger folks employed in the company and the 3 seems to be pretty popular (mods?). So no, I do not find it strange that out of two hundred co-workers, four people own Mazda 3's. It's not like we are talking about some rare collectible here, the Mazda 3 is a big seller and a top pick by most auto sites and magazines (Edmunds included).

"You have a right to defend the car, but WHY would or do you? IF my A/C was great I would post here and just say its ok, I wouldn't go on and on and on defending the car, it works end of story and not put down those who are having a problem."

Just as you and a few others have the right to post over and over about the A/C issues, I have that same right to point out that this issue is not affecting EVERYONE as many of these posts are led to believe. There are many people shopping for cars that read these forums and folks who make broad statements to the effect that every Mazda 3 has weak A/C is simply false. So, if someone is shopping for a car and is concerned about the weak A/C posts (as was I) I recommend that you do a test drive and checkout the A/C for yourself.

"Could please post the links to the Toyota/Hyundai/Honda A/C issues you have mentioned."

I only commented that there are several posts in the 06 Civic board have complained about the A/C.

I have read every single professional review regarding the Mazda3 I could find and not one review mentioned anything about weak A/C. Don't you find that odd? If this issue is as huge as you and others are saying why has this not been

http://nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2006_Mazda_3&ReviewID=1813
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jedlicka.aspx?year=2006&make=Mazda&model=Mazda- - - - 3
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/Sedans_and_Coupes/2004_Mazda3.S1- - - - 80.A6380.html
    http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2329.shtml
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?ASSET_TYPE=Affiliate+Review%2CBuyin- - - - g+Guide%2CVehicle+Profile&revlogtype=17&section=reviews&makeid=30&modelid=7491&y- - - - ear=2006
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?revid=49495&indcriteria=ASSET_TYPE-- - - - Affiliate+Review%2CBuying+Guide%2CVehicle+Profile%7CM-_30_%7CD-_7491_%7CY-_2006_- - - - %7CresultStructure-combined&makeid=30&modelid=7491&year=2006&myid=&revlogtype=19- - - - &section=reviews&mode=&aff=boston
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?revid=48763&indcriteria=ASSET_TYPE-- - - - Affiliate+Review%2CBuying+Guide%2CVehicle+Profile%7CM-_30_%7CD-_7491_%7CY-_2005_- - - - %7CresultStructure-combined&makeid=30&modelid=7491&year=2005&myid=&revlogtype=19- - - - &section=reviews&mode=&aff=boston
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mazda/mazda3/100614382/researchlanding.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2003-11-26-mazda3_x.htm
    http://www.automotive.com/2004/12/mazda/mazda3/reviews/index.html
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/05mazda3.htm

Those are just a few.. Also, if you look at the user reviews on MSN, Yahoo, Edmunds, and Cars.com you will find the Mazda3 to be ranked at the very top. I would dare say that if the A/C issue was affecting the majority of Mazda 3's there would be a ton of negative reviews and bad feedback.

I really do believe that some folks are having some A/C issues. I am not denying that. But, this issue seems to be affecting only a small percentage of people. If Mazda cannot solve your problem sell your Mazda3. I have had two cars in my lifetime (Saturn SC2, VW Jetta VR6) that caused my a lot of problems and I sold them and moved on. There is a big demand for the Mazda3 right now, it is a good time to sell it and get something comparable that you are happier with.

No car is perfect. Go look at the message boards. Honda Civic's and Toyota Corollas have their share of problems too. If the dealer/Mazda cannot solve your issues try one of the other manufacturers out.
  • Options
    CR surveys their own readership aka subscribers. They don't survey others. Using the analogy, ask a Democrat who will make the best president, they will tell you another democrat. That's the problem with CR's survey. "

I don't get your analogy. There are cars rated poorly in CR, and cars rated highly. Your analogy would mean they are all rated highly :confuse:

All it means is that the sample comnes from people who are, in general, concerned about reliability (which is CR's bread and butter). What's wrong with that?
  • Options
    ex tdier,

Let me get this straight. You live in Vancouver, Canada and the major source of your annoyance with the Mazda3 is the air conditioning? I understand you have SOME hot days where it reaches the high 80's, low 90's, but (according to Wikipedia) your average temperature in the peak of summer is 22 degrees celsius (71.6 degrees fahrenheit).

Umm, isn't that kind of like someone in Arizona complaining about how the Mazda 3 handles in snow? Be honest, how big of an issue is this in reality? The temperature this morning outside on my commute to work was 76 degrees with about 90% humidity. I had my A/C set to 1 and my ambient temperature was 72 degrees in my car (almost a little too cold for my liking). Our temperatures have been in the mid to high 80's this past week with about 90% humidity and I have been very comfortable with my setting between 1 and 2.

Like I said, there are hundreds of user and professional reviews out there and the Mazda 3 ranks very high. I researched this car to death, and I did not find any data to support your theory that nearly every Mazda 3 has A/C issues. I do believe that some folks are having issues, and that they should either work through Mazda or, if it bothers them enough, sell the car and get something different.

This is my twelfth car that I have purchased in my relatively short driving life (15 years of driving) and every car that I have owned has had one issue or another. Some were very minor. Some were very major. Such is life.

I appreciate the fact that you and others have posted about this issue and raised attention. Believe me, I really looked for this issue when I was cross shopping the Honda Civic, Mazda 3, and Toyota Corolla. To me, it was a non-issue. That said, your point is noted, and there is a specific thread dedicated to this A/C issue. I think that is the place to keep discussing this versus all the other forums where you and others continue to post. I mean this topic (A/C issues) seems to creep up in every Mazda3 board.
  • Options
    dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I am constantly scrubbing my rear rims (brake dust). It's not a huge deal, but is there a TSB for this. I am assuming when I get new brake pads (when due) this problem will go away. Has anyone addressed this problem with a dealer? What was the result?
  • Options
    I am constantly scrubbing my rear rims (brake dust). It's not a huge deal, but is there a TSB for this. I am assuming when I get new brake pads (when due) this problem will go away. Has anyone addressed this problem with a dealer? What was the result? "

Cars with good brakes (which the Mazda has) generally have more brake dust. It is a little strange that it is more in the back than front, but it's not an issue for me (especially with easy to clean 5 spoke wheels). It was 10 times worse on my Saab
  • Options
    I had my rear rotors and pads replaced - rotors were defective - pads were worn out - around 15K miles.

This completely solved my grinding brake problem - but Mazda would not allow the dealer to install the "new" pad that reduces the brake dust. This seemed strange - why install the old pad that is a known problem? Dealer said if they replaced the rotor they had to use the old brake pads - or I could buy the rotor and they would replace the brake pad with the new style. My choice.

I went with the no cost option - so I still have the brake dust on the rear - not as bad as before.

My only minor complaint at this point is if I go through an automatic car wash - even if I get the so called tire & wheel cleaner option - the rear wheels are still coverd in dust - so when I get home I still need to clean them. Which kind of defeats the main reason to use the automatic car wash in the first place.
  • Options
    My 06 Honda Odyssey has the same issue, as did my 02 Altima before it. I think I am just used to it by now..

When I switched to ceramic brake pads on my Altima the problem was much better.

Agree that the wheels are easy to clean on the 3, my 99 Jetta was really hard to clean...