Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Actually it was my dealer who suggested it should have 4 leaf springs"

Adding a leaf will change the spring rate and the rear ride height.

Ask your dealer for the part number that was ordered, then post it here. Until I see a Toyota part number, I'll be wondering if something is out of order here, or at your dealer. WD-40 is a terrible lubricant, as it evaporates quickly, leaving little lube behind.

As far as leaf springs rubbing together, I suggest all that think this is some kind of huge problem should visit a junkyard. Check out the 30 and 40 year old leaf springs there.
  • Options
    bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    i bought a dble cab for the same reasons, its really not that much harder to park than other trucks, my work has really tight parking lot and seem to have no problems with it, acccess cab will work but leave you with not much room for anything else, the dble cab is like driving a suv but with a bed on it, i mainly use mine for commuting and road trips but sometimes use it for hauling, well hope you can go to the dealer, as mentioned any good dealer will let you test it first, bjw1
  • Options
    chris007chris007 Member Posts: 11
    I have a double cab short bed with four-wheel drive. I normally drive around town in drive, but today I drove in fourth gear and what a huge difference in performance. Is this Ok to do?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I've done this for years with automatics. It's no different than not upshifting a manual all the way to OD for around town... just use the gears you actually need.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    Yes, the rear view mirror is too low for me..I thought about trying to remove it and gluing it up higher but not sure how to do it without risking a windshield break.
  • Options
    jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    white lithium grease

It is available from your dealer and is suppose to be a cure for the squeeky leaf springs.
  • Options
    arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    I found the same problem & just turned the mirror upside down. It is not the best, but it is much better.
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Now that it's getting hot here in Texas, I've noticed this little ticking noise coming from the driver's side rear seat. It only seems to happen when it's hot outside, and I've been driving for a little while. It also stops when I apply the brakes, even slightly, or when under significant acceleration. So, the ticking only really happens when coasting, and going down a road that isn't perfectly smooth.

I've tried a few things, such as lifting the left back seat up, and then putting the seat back down, but these didn't help. I lifted the door on the storage compartment, still nothing. I don't have anything in the storage compartment making noise. It almost seems as though it's coming from the door, or possibly under the seat somewhere.

Has anyone had the same issue and found out what the problem was?
    :confuse:
  • Options
    cedosada1cedosada1 Member Posts: 8
    I think the DC shortbed is the same overall truck length as an Access Cab standard bed truck. The longbed on the DC is the standard bed on the AC. So going with the DC sb doesn't make the truck bigger, unless you go for the longbed which is actually the only bed available for the AC.

Did I just confuse you?

Is this true?
  • Options
    piks0piks0 Member Posts: 1
    I have also had this problem since January 1st when I bought the truck. Have you found a solution to this problem?
  • Options
    rideamtnrideamtn Member Posts: 16
    I have a 05 DC Prerunner, non TRD, with a Snug Top Shell. When going over dips on the freeway, my rear bottoms out. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    ush00zush00z Member Posts: 30
    It's not a squeaky leaf springs problem. There is a big gap between the leaf springs and they are actually banging on each other.
  • Options
    "It's not a squeaky leaf springs problem. There is a big gap between the leaf springs and they are actually banging on each other."

An interesting article dealing with Land Rover suspension retrofits:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Parabolics.html

Note the designed-in space between the leaves, and the description of why the space exists. Remember, the '05 Taco usually earns great praise for it's box-stock offroad ability. The guys in the article are ADDING space to improve performance.

Also mentioned are the fewer leaves, with better performance and load carrying than spring packs with more leaves. :shades:
  • Options
    gr8blue1gr8blue1 Member Posts: 33
    Hey there, can you get more info about the fix? I noticed the same buzzing noise the last few days (very windy). It only happens at high speed and resonates in the middle of the dash. I thought the stereo was emitting a funny sound so I turned it off and the noise persisted. It sounded like a squeaky door hinge. Anyone else having the same thing? :confuse:
  • Options
    deluxechevdeluxechev Member Posts: 17
    Been loving my truck. One day I began wondering exactly what type of gas mileage I was getting out of my V6-6speed Access Cab TRD-Offroad (w/ Flowmaster; 40 series).

I’ve been calculating my mileage the last 30 days. Here are my results…

Date M Start M Finish Distance Fuel Amount MPG
    5/20/05 4902 5176 274 17.115 16.009
    5/24/05 5176 5387 211 13.572 15.547
    5/30/05 5387 5658 271 14.915 18.170
    6/2/05 5658 5947 289 15.829 18.258
    6/7/05 5947 6226 279 16.110 17.318
    6/12/05 6226 6538 312 17.472 17.857

After the first two calculations, I figured my poor mileage was probably due to my semi-heavy foot on the freeway and around town, and not my commute (about 50 mile round trip commute to work every day – 90% freeway). So I went from setting my cruise control from 80ish to 65. As my data shows, I saw a big improvement. The last two fill-ups I bumped it up to 70mph.

How’s everyone else doing with a similar setup?

Almost forgot, I run 89 octane.
  • Options
    ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    So I read a post a few days/weeks ago that said someone had ordered a '05 Tacoma, and then his dealer ended up telling him that he would be getting a '06? What's up with this? If I put an order in and have to get an '06, I want to know if there are any new options or details I should know about. Anyone have any info on when the '06 info will be out, and how long we will be able to order '05's?
  • Options
    1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    It seems that mid-July is the time Toyota switches Tacoma line into the '06 production. So, there's about a month worth of '05 Tacomas coming thru. Depending on model configurations and dealers allocations, if the particular truck you're looking for is not available it has to be ordered in the next batch, which will be '06. The '06 model should be at the dealers around the beginning of September. Another issue to check is the price, and if there's any increase for the '06 models.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    From what I can see, the June pipeline of production for Toyota is still for '05 models. So orders to come in July's production should still be '05's. I cannot tell you when they will start producing '06's but typically they start in Late July or August for domestic made vehicles. Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    2006 production starts:
    Dodge Ram - July 4 (that's not a holiday in Mexico...)
    Dodge Dakota - July 20
    Ford F150 - August 8
    Ford Super Duty (F250-550) - May 2
    Ford Ranger - August 22
    Chev/GMC Silverado/Sierra 1500 - June 27
    Chev/GMC Silverado/Sierra 2500/3500 - July 17
    Chev/GMC Colorado/Canyon - June 20
    Nissan Titan - July 1
    Nissan Frontier - September 1
    Toyota Tundra - July (no day given)
    Toyota Tacoma - August (no day given)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    This time of year car manufacturers shut down and get their production line modified to start producing the next years models.

I know this because the company I work for supplies coils of sheet metal for GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Toyota. This time of year the orders for steel slow way down, until they start up the production line again.

I'd guess that this time of year you can't special order an 05 Taco if you haven't already done so. You'll have to wait for the 06.
  • Options
    rearviewmirrorrearviewmirror Member Posts: 1
    man...I cannot believe someone else is having this problem too. The rear view mirror position simply sucks...I have to duck down to look around it and it ALWAYS seems to be in the way, especially when people are crossing me in traffic coming from the passengers side. I want to remove mine altogether or move up to the top of the windshield.

I have noticed that on every other truck the rear view mirror usually sits at about head height...mine seems to be set at about shoulder height and it is DRIVING ME CRAZY. :mad:
  • Options
    ush00zush00z Member Posts: 30
    No doubt the Tacoma has soft ride with the spaced leaf springs. But if you looked at the Rover's leaves closely, they also put something that resembles a rubber boot between the leaves to prevent the leaves actually hitting each other and avoid the annoying metal clanging sound.
  • Options
    burfalburfal Member Posts: 7
    I find the mirror a pain also. I pushed mine up as far as I could and that helped some.
    You think they could have hung if from the ceiling or mounted it higher.
  • Options
    "But if you looked at the Rover's leaves closely, they also put something that resembles a rubber boot between the leaves to prevent the leaves actually hitting each other and avoid the annoying metal clanging sound."

They've got to leave something for the aftermarket guys to provide! :surprise: A urethane stop would probably be just the ticket. Since the springs are made of a totally different steel than the rest of the truck, a little surface rubbing and rust really isn't a big deal. A bare, shiny spot on a spring is not the same as a bare, shiny spot on a body panel.

I agree that a stop would be an improvement. I posted the link so that some of the folks who think the suspension is going to fall off might be reassured, and better understand some of the mechanics of leaf spring suspension. The click I hear when my slider is open is so similar to the sound I've heard on so many other trucks, I guess I'm just used to it. The noise is usually more more obvious on a truck, when compared to an SUV based on the same chassis, due to the typical truck's lighter rear end and uninsulated bed floor.

You'll notice that the noise will disappear with a load in the bed, a trailer in tow that provides a 100 pound or so tongue weight, or even a couple of bikes in a hitch mount rack. Slowing down for speed bumps helps, too.

I wonder why Toyota didn't add a stop? I don't think other manufacturers do, either.
  • Options
    Here is a present to everyone out there who wants to figure out Gas Mileage, courtesy of the Canadian government. Great little tool

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuel-trip-calculator/fuel-calculator-input.cfm- ?attr=8
  • Options
    aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    I know that I hear the rear seatbelts (DoubleCab) knocking against the side panels with nobody in the back, and the seatbelts are not in their clips. Kind of annoying. Don't know if thats what you're hearing, but I could see that sounding like a door rattle...
  • Options
    I checked the rear seat belts, but both are in their clips. I don't know, maybe there is still something rubbing against them, even so.

It's starting to drive me crazy, as I have to have the volume up fairly loud to keep from hearing it. I'm planning on having my wife drive it around for me this weekend so I can hang out in the back seat, and see if I can locate the sound.
  • Options
    cmitchellcmitchell Member Posts: 18
    I had this same rattling noise. It sounded like it was coming from my access door or seat belt area. The dealer took off my door panel and drove the car. He found that the door stop and hinge bolts were loose. Once everything was tightened the noise was fixed. They did both driver and passenger sides. Now if Toyota would do something about our rear springs squeaking!!!!! :shades:
  • Options
    aaa123aaa123 Member Posts: 10
    from Toyota :

Mr. XYZ -

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize the tailgate information was not more readily available.

According to our research, the tailgate does not have a load capacity rating. Therefore, Toyota recommends that you remove the tailgate prior to loading your Tacoma to avoid damage to the tailgate.

Please feel free to contact your local Toyota dealership for further assistance in addressing your questions.
  • Options
    Tailgate load capacity is 200pds
    I have actually taken my gate apart and there is no re-enforement ie. bars on the inside. I took it apart as it was bent from my snowmobile. I know of someone who bent theirs from a 4 wheeler. A guy posted on here earlier that he is 240pds and stands on his gate regularly, well that fine and all but hold that pose for a few hours or so as someone else drives your truck around. Gate will bend trust me, these gates are brutally made and when you bend them Toyota will NOT help you out even if you write a letter to the editor that is posted in the WHEELS Section of the Toronto Star which is the largest paper in Canada. Don't take any chances, remove the gate when loading something heavy.
  • Options
    Well, I think maybe I have the same issue. It sounds as if it's right behind the drivers seat somewhere, which indicates to me, that it may be in the rear door panel.

I had my wife drive the truck around, after we heard the noise for quite some time, however, as an annoying noise would have it, it stopped when it knew someone was looking for it.

May have to try it again today. I really would like the idea of taking the door panel off myself, but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. I need to flip through the service manual, and see where all the attachments are.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    alb2alb2 Member Posts: 5
    My new Tacoma makes a muffled "boing" sound from the engine area about 20 seconds after start-up as I drive away. It never fails. I have owned a few pickups (several Fords and a 1983 Toyota, but this is unique). Any body know what I am talking about ?
  • Options
    aaa123aaa123 Member Posts: 10
    jackhammer,
    Just curious as how long did it take you to remove the gate off? Thanks
  • Options
    05tacoma3305tacoma33 Member Posts: 6
    :sick: tonight i was drivring and i heard a noise from the bottom of the truck it clunks every 10 feet now i have it sitting in a parking lot :mad: . cant drive it what do i do. it sounds like the rear end or gears binding up
  • Options
    arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    My new Tacoma makes a muffled "boing" sound from the engine area about 20 seconds after start-up as I drive away

It is the ABS system resetting itself. It is a normal sound on the 05 Tacoma.
  • Options
    You can take the gate off in less than 30seconds. But that doesn't help me any with my sled. The box is 6', the sled 9'. The gate is needed to be on so that the sled won't fall out. I have a ramp. The box is also 6" too narrow compared to my old 95 T100 so one ski has to ride up on the wheel well. To save the hastle I bought a trailer.
  • Options
    vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    I have had 3 ARE covers. They are expensive, but very well made. They do not fade and the paint match was excellent on all three. I am not aware they make a cover or lid for the 2005 TACO. Do you have any information?

Tom Clark
    (vmiman)
  • Options
    I have the Access Cab 4x4 V6 TRD Sport with manual 6-speed, 9100 miles.

I'm getting a consistant 20 mpg if I keep it under 65 mpg. I use 85 octane (in Colorado at about 6500 ft altitude). I also try to drive in the highest gear possible most of the time. I'm willing to sacrifice speed for better gas mileage. We're paying just over $2.00 per gallon in Colorado Springs.

Tom Clark
    (vmiman)
  • Options
    Thanks jackhammer. That is really cool. I bookmarked it on my favorites I like it so much.
  • Options
    05tacoma3305tacoma33 Member Posts: 6
    i just got the trucked towed to toyota and the rear end was leaking diff. fluid has anyone else had this problem the truck only has about 2900 miles its a 4x4 d-cab 6m 3/05 production date
  • Options
    jskicetjskicet Member Posts: 10
    I have about 5,000 miles on my 05 dbl cab sport/ black. No issues that everyone talks about. Only have two chips that I can find. I've made a few minor changes. I removed all decals and emblems. Added white letter tires. I think I actually like the stock wheels now. I think it change the whole look of the truck. The usual accessories, bed mat,sill protectors, silver/white lights, wire the fog lamps separate for use with park lamps, rubber floor mats. I get alot of compliments. I also own a 2001 double cab. Both are awesome trucks though each are very different. Here are some pictures.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16919450941.jpg&s=x4

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16919462195.jpg&s=x4

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16919470734.jpg&s=x2
  • Options
    From what my dealer has told me I will be getting 4 new leaf springs for each side. They are on back order. I will post when I actually get them in.
  • Options
    miniviperminiviper Member Posts: 13
    1) Does anyone know who makes the black OEM Toyota running boards, or do I have to buy them from Toyota? Are there good deals on them anywhere?

2) Anyone ever figure out a way to get rid of the faded looking area on the steering wheel?

3) Anyone have any recommendations for a hard painted tonneau cover. I noticed A.R.E. come up as being pretty good.

So far I'm very pleased with my truck and almost have 500 miles on it already. :)

Thanks for the help...
  • Options
    jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    Sounds good. Do you know where your dealer found the information that says your truck should have four leaf springs in the rear? I looked at my Dbl Cab TRD offroad #2 tonight and I only have 3 springs. Should I have four???
  • Options
    rlbtacomarlbtacoma Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to post my MPG, I drive my 2005 double cab 90 miles a day on rural roads at approx 65 mph with 4 stop signs and have been an avg of 21 mpg with 5,000 miles on mine. No problem at all with my Tacoma, I love it.
  • Options
    soundman34soundman34 Member Posts: 36
    From what the manual says it is a pressure check. Mine does this also at it is supposed to be normal.
  • Options
    asac1asac1 Member Posts: 30
    I called my local A.R.E. dealer in Iowa and plan to order a tonneau cover when know the exact delivery date (2-week order date to get the tonneau cover painted and delivered). I was quoted $850 installed. The nice thing is that cover will add about 1-1/2" to the bed height - just enough to get by bass guitar cabinet in it.

Allen
  • Options
    You stated the exact reason why I won't be getting the stock running boards ... "they are almost at the floor height".

I'm interested in the BAK runningboards because they appear to be lower so should provide both door-ding protection and step-up assistance for family.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Allen
  • Options
    I ordered my Tacoma 4-cyl-5spd - Prerunner on 5/27. They told me it will likely be a 2006 model and will be at a slight price increase (a few hundred dollars). I'm not sure what other features it will have that will be different than the 2005 if any. If anyone knows please let me know.

I called the dealer last week and found out that the salesman who handled my order had resigned - the new salesman confirmed the 2006 order.

One other thing ... the dealership told me it would be a special order (8-12 weeks) as it is not a model they typically sell. They gave me two options: 1. buy an instock model from the Arizona area and pay $500 shipping or 2. special order from the factory. I chose #2 as I can wait and continue to drive my piece-of-junk Ford Ranger for a few more months.

Allen
  • Options
    Place I got mine from was www.toyotapart.com

http://www.toyotapart.com/search.asp?s=&SearchYear=13&SearchModel=70&sc=124&spl=&spu=&Subm- it=Search

I actually like the fact that they are at floor level. If you ever do any off-roading, you don't want some running board sitting really low on your truck, or you won't have much of a running board left.